Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• glamourlifeglamourlife Member Posts: 49
    How many airbags does the 2001 have? I have heard that there are no side door or rear door airbags? If that is true, Ford should correct that immediately. LR needs to step up and include more technology in their products.
  • tsoutsoutsoutsou Member Posts: 1
    we are looking into buying a 2001 Discovery II and are wondering about how frequently they are involved in roll over accidents. We know that the disco is an SUV and therefore more prone to rolling over than a sedan, but we want to know if the discovery for instance is safer than a ford explorer or a lexus rx300 to name a few other suvs. If anyone knows any statistics or has personal advice to give that would be great!!
  • waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    Correct - only frontal airbags at this time. Thanks, wasko
    tsoutsou:

Even though Discoverys look high and tippy, they're quite stable. This is due to their frame on frame construction (heavy box steel frame that centers the vehicle weight a couple inches above the tires then a top frame coupled to this base frame). That and the liberal use of aluminum panels makes the vehicle quite stable. Add ACE and you've got a great mix.

In the past, I've driven Blazers and Jeeps. The Jeeps always felt relatively sure footed at higher speeds, but the Blazer felt 'whippy' and out of control when accelerating and passing someone. I don't get that feeling in the '96 Disco. And the times when I've driven a DII with ACE while mine was in for service, the feeling is even more sure footed.

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/cecompoutc.asp
    shows side by side crash data comparing the Explorer and Disco II while http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/cecompoutc.asp shows the Lexus and Disco II. This isn't rollover information, but it does show safety comparisons of the vehicles.

Thanks - wasko
  • mobilmobil Member Posts: 2
    I posted on 12/19 about thinking of buying a Discovery and wanting to know if any buyers have been able to negotiate reasonably for one. I have called a couple of dealers and they, at least over the phone, weren't willing to negotiate. With some of the problems I've seen posted here and gas mileage I would think there should be some negotiation on the price. Also, has anyone heard anything about Ford talking about discontinuing the production of Discovers?
  • chitomchitom Member Posts: 6
    A Chicago area dealer has some 2000 DII's that they are advertising at $31,400 with a claimed list of $38,125. Is this a good price for a 2000? I saw on the Edmunds site that dealers have a $3500 incentive right now on DIIs. I usually keep cars 6-8 years so leasing isn't an option.

Thanks.
  • coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    My father is seriously considering a new Land rover discovery series II (2001). The other cars that he is considering are:
    Jeep Grand cherokee laredo.
    Toyota 4Runner SR5 and Limited.
    GMC yukon.
    Cadilac Escalade.
    We really love the land rover, and want to get it, can you give us any reasons not to seeing the competition?
    We are also considering te Infiniti Qx4.
  • ngliebengliebe Member Posts: 11
    In the vehicles you mentioned, only one of them is worth considering beyond the LR.
    For one, they are all too common, Secondly, they are all poor build quality except for the Four Runner. From all the research I've done in my quest to buy smart and capitalize on resale value and owner satisfaction, one can't go wrong with a Four-Runner or Disco II. The Infiniti QX4 is also a good option. The GrCherokeeis a Chrysler...nuff said. I had one.
    A real piece after 30K. The Yukon is butt-ugly and prone to alot of small annoyances says my neighbor, and the Escalade is an absolute joke-As tacky and pimpy as they come. I'd be embarrased to be seen in one. They sure cost alot for the "horriffic build quality" that I read about in an online review. I can find the link for you if you are interested. If dad has test driven all these, I'm sure the right choice will show itself. Good Luck
    That was a big help thanks a bunch. One more question what about the Acura MDX. I know it is ot a real truck, but we like it. Any way thank you very much. we are now still between the three. We knew we wouldnt buy an americain one, just because we do not see any justification in spending this kind of money on a big piece of crap (pardonez mon francais). you are right they are ugly and tacky, also to common. my dad currently has a jeep cherokee, and we had a gc before that time fro a change.
    we are going to start shoping in January.
    All: up here in Motor City, I keep my ear to the wall listening about all things automotive, esp. Rover now that Ford owns them. To my knowledge, there are no plans at all to discontinue the Disco, as that is the biggest seller in North America. Freelander (being more of a mall-hopper) will also give the Disco a lot of competition once they bring it to NA. Range Rover is flagging a bit here and the new BMW engine models and features should breathe some new life there.

As for the Defender, a recent article in Land Rover magazine stated that it won't be redesigned for at least 4 years - shattering my dreams of buying a NEW defender (instead of getting pummeled on the used ones for $40-50k) anytime real soon.

Thanks, wasko
  • dhoots2dhoots2 Member Posts: 1
    18 MONTHS AGO I LEASED A 1999 DISCOVERY II, WHAT A MISTAKE. THE LAST IN A LONG LIST OF PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD IS REPLACING THE BRAKE PADS & ROTORS AT 32K MILES. COST ME ABOUT $800. THE CAR WAS IN AT 30K FOR SERVICE AND NOTHING WAS SAID ABOUT THE BRAKES. WHEN ASK WHY THIS WAS NOT PICKED UP THE DEALERSHIP HAD NO RESPONSE OTHER THAN IT IS NOT A WARRANTY ITEM. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO UNLOAD THIS CAR AND WILL NEVER HAVE ANOTHER!!!!
  • erikjerikj Member Posts: 14
    I was told that my pads were on the verge of needing replacement during the 22.5K service. I was a little shocked, but I guess that's what happens when you drive a 4800 lb. truck around town like it's a hatchback. Anyway, I waited a couple of months and then replaced the pads on all 4 wheels (about $400). I would have complained pretty loudly about replacing the rotors so early and with no other warnings (like brake squeal).
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Land-Rovers are known for being "hands-on" trucks. You've got to get underneath them regularly and have a look around. I replaced my brake pads at about 22k miles, also shocked at the early wear, but used aftermarket pads for about half the money. I recommend nice soft pads as well, they make the rotors last longer. One thing to be said for it, replacing pads on a Discovery is a hoot: what an absolute joy! Or maybe it just SEEMS easy after dealing with other not-so-easy maintenance chores... Anyway, get a good set of tools and get to know your truck. If you treat 'er well, she'll go a long way with you.

Regards, -Bob
  • sgyorffysgyorffy Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know how many miles one could expect from a Range Rover or a DiscoII before a major rebuild? This of course assumes the regular maintenance conditions are met.

Also, who out there owns a classic Range Rover (93'-94')? Are they reliable?
  • ngleenglee Member Posts: 3
    I just test drove a friend's brand new DII. What a neat SUV. Still wouldn't trade my Montero for it though - my kids like the reclining seats in the Montero.

Anyway, I was wondering about the steering. It seems that the steering wheel doesn't self center when coming out of a turn, i.e., where I'm used to letting go of the wheel and letting it spin back to center, the DII required actually manually turning the wheel back to come out of a turn. Is this intentional or does my friend have to have this checked out?
    sgyorffy: I've seen posts on the Internet with folks that have 250,000 miles and even one guy in Oz that has 600,000+ miles on his. I would say that engine and drivetrain will last a LONG time. Thanks - wasko
    Well, it hasn't been my week :)

The front passenger door can't be opened from the outside. This has been a 'feature' for about 3 months now. Doesn't bother me, but sure gets my wife's bloodpressure up (when was the last time YOU sat in the passenger seat of your disco??)!

A couple of weeks ago, the exhaust was rattling a bit and I took it into Tuffy and they put her up on the stands to take a peek. Seems that the Y pipe cracked on the right side in front of the right catalytic converter. The crack in turn busted up the right catalytic converter.

Called Rover and found out that catalytic converter is covered for 8 yrs/80,000 miles but once they saw the crack in the Y-pipe, they wouldn't warranty it. Ba$t@rds!

Genuine Rover Y pipe (with both catalytic converters) was (sit down if you aren't) $1850 PLUS 2-3 hours labor for installation. Not wanting to spend that much for the repair, I pulled out the trusty Atlantic British catalog - $695 delivered for a made in the USA complete y-pipe assembly. Ordered the Y, called Rover dealer, 3 weeks before they could install. What the hell! It's a conspiracy against me, and I know it :)

Back to Tuffy, 3 hours later and $150, everything was installed and is working fine. So, for what would have been $2100 at the dealer, I got out of it for $850 - no cheap but better!

Next -- I remember silently chuckling at all the posts up hear a year ago. Everyone was complaining about their peeling dashes and my 96 seemed untouched by this flaw. Today I noticed it starting to peel in two places. Sigh...

Finally -- radio has been intermittently cutting out - sounds like a dirty contact or something loose as opposed to something broken. Rover said they would send it away not covered under warranty of course - for now I've just been enjoying the silence. anyone ever taken the radio out? I may clean the contacts and see if that makes a difference but I'm not sure how to get inside there...

Ah well, what are you to do? The Series II is looking better all the time :) Nothing has ever stranded this vehicle (except for my ignorance one time), all problems are nuisances, but still...

Thanks for listening to me rant - wasko
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    Well, I just did an engine oil and filter change on my '00, 11,500 mile Disco II - tried to get the dealer to do it but that would have been a 2 week wait !!! With my Toyota 4x4 I just drive in, and they (the dealer) do it.

While at the dealer, I spoke with the parts guy after I bought my $12.00 filter, and he lamented endlessly about "I can't get no damn parts for these damn things, and I've got about 30 customers that are getting hissed", etc. I sure hope nothing ever goes wrong on my beloved vehicle, warranty or not, it seems nearly impossible to get a service appointment and god help you if you need parts!

My II so far has been perfect except for a rattle or groan now and then, and I'm very pleased with its' off-and-on-road capabilities and handling. I don't know why people keep complaining about a "lack of power", "sluggishness", etc. I find that the only shortcomings that mean anything are rear seat ingress. I love the funky ergonomics, the seats, the engine, - everything! And everyone that's ever seen, rode in, or looked at my II has made positive comments.

If my DII ever gives me the "belly up", she'll be traded for a new Toyota 4Runner (you old timers may remember I did that with my '99 DII which was a piece of crap - the 4R was perfect, but bland, so that's why I got another DII). You can always count on Toyota for reliability, and quality. My Toy truck has 155,000 absolutely trouble-free miles on it.

Happy Rovering to all of you!
  • oceandwelleroceandweller Member Posts: 58
    I have a 96 disco and I love her, but now it is growing into a love/hate relationship. 1. The front passenger window doesn't work and the door handle is hard to open. 2. The steering is problematic, it does not return to the center automatically after making a turn like it used to and driving at highway speeds can be difficult.
    3. I just replaced the old michelins and installed bilstein shocks. At first, the rover was glorious, but now she makes this awful "clunk"
    when I go over the smallest bumps. It feels as though the bottom of the frame is going to collapse and the dealer is blowing me off as usual. 4. I'm not a wealthy rover owner and maybe that is the problem, but I thought I was buying a rugged vehicle and now it is proving otherwise. 5. wasko..about the catalytic converter, where did you get the information about the 8yr warranty?? and what of the rust perforation warranty, it is a 6yr..have you had problems with rust or any other similar problems as me?
    I have a certified per-owned warranty, which will run out in April 01, but I am going to fight(if I have to) to have the dealer pay for another year of warranty coverage, due to all the problems I've had and due to their incompetent service.
    Some time back, someone asked about the cost of maintaining a LR Disco. Well, at my dealership here in Tulsa, OK, the costs for routine maint. is:

7,500 mile $ 39.95
    15,000 mile $ 89.95
    22,500 mile $ 39.95
    30,000 mile $ 439.95
    37,500 mile $ 39.95
    45,000 mile $ 89.95, etc.

The costs of maintaing my 00 DII are less than for my Toy 4x4 or Mercedes sedan. So don't tell me that it's too expensive to own a Rover (unless it's an out-of-warranty piece of crap anyway. All parts are too expensive. I became "friends" with the parts managers for each of my vehicles, so I get all mine at cost which saves a lot! I also routinely take the service managers out to lunch, so I get "discounts" for service as well.

When I bought my 2nd. DII in June of 2000, the deal included totally free maintenance for 4 years or 45,000 miles - not bad. I also got wheel locks, rubber mats, cargo nets, and light guards "thrown in" - although I'm sure that I paid for them somewhere along the line behind all the fine print. You ALWAYS get screwed at dealerships!
    I hear you!
    1. my window motor was replaced last year under warranty
    2. my front door is difficult/impossible to open - it bounces between working sometimes and not at all.
    3. I put original woodheads back on about 10k miles ago and no problems with them at all.
    4. Same here - I had to get my 96 used at the time bec I couldn't afford a new Rover - the parts seem to eat you alive, but I also agree with rkoesler that ALL parts are too expensive these days. I will say that it is a very rugged vehicle and the majority of my problems have been fit/trim issues. If I could, I'd replace the electric seat motors with manual ones, the electric windows with manual, etc. because it's all that crap that stops working. Hell, I'd even have manual/handcrank moonroofs! :)
    5. catalytic converter story came from the dealer. mine doesn't have hardly any rust on it (suprising for MI), and the pipe cracked instead of rusted. Only rust areas are near the A pillars on the back doors. Won't have to worry about that in WA though :)

Good luck on the warranty extension.

All - rkoesler brought up a good point about the oil-changes. There seems to be a 2 week backlog at my dealership as well due to parts shortages - are others seeing this at their dealerships as well? Just wondering if this is a nationwide issue or not.

Thanks - wasko
    I had posted this earlier, but didn't get any response. Reposting with hope that someone might be able to shed some light on this -

"I just test drove a friend's brand new DII. What a neat SUV. Still wouldn't trade my Montero for it though - my kids like the reclining seats in the Montero.

Anyway, I was wondering about the steering. It seems that the steering wheel doesn't self center when coming out of a turn, i.e., where I'm used to letting go of the wheel and letting it spin back to center, the DII required actually manually turning the wheel back to come out of a turn. Is this intentional or does my friend have to have this checked out?"
    I had posted this earlier, but didn't get any response. Reposting with hope that someone might be able to shed some light on this -

"I just test drove a friend's brand new DII. What a neat SUV. Still wouldn't trade my Montero for it though - my kids like the reclining seats in the Montero.

Anyway, I was wondering about the steering. It seems that the steering wheel doesn't self center when coming out of a turn, i.e., where I'm used to letting go of the wheel and letting it spin back to center, the DII required actually manually turning the wheel back to come out of a turn. Is this intentional or does my friend have to have this checked out?"
    I have a Series I Disco so my answer will be a guess, but...

Land-Rover steering is typically very sensitive to oscillation, much like a bicycle with steep forks. To control this there's a large damper attached to the track rod. It may be his is very stiff. It may also be his swivel pins are set too tight from the factory. Or his front tire pressure could be too low. Or it may be that things are just a bit too new and snug and it has to loosen up a little. As the swivels wear you begin to feel a little slop. As the swivel seals loosen up it returns to center a bit better, and as the damper wears you may find it beginning to oscillate wildly over uneven terrain between 55-65mph.

The things that would prevent it self-centering (caster, camber, trail, etc.) are all functions of the geometry of the hard parts up front. If something was installed badly enough to prevent self centering then I'd think he would have noticed a lot worse problems before now.

I think he just has a nice, tight new truck. Check the tire pressures (28 F, 38 R) and drive it. In a month try again.

Best regards, -Bob
    thanks for sharing!...I utilize Atlantic British on a regular basis, not just because it is ten minutes from my home; I also enjoy their competitive pricing(I saved almost $100.00 on my Bilstein shocks)! Thanks all.
  • cgordon1cgordon1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 disco, and while it has been preety problem free, I did have the right side catalytic converter fail. The price i received from LR was so high that I went to alternative sources and it seemed to work out ok. The price was a few hundred dollars vs. almost three thousand.

I did discover that landrover dealers are less forthcoming about warranty problems than you might think considering that these vehicles are or were the cream of the offroad class.

With the huge drop in sales of the Land Rover
    products, you would think that they would try harder to keep customers.
    To all, I have a suggestion:

Take a few minutes and go crawl under your truck. Look at the gasket between the auto trans and the sump, see if it's pooched out as if it's going to fail.

I was driving last night and after I pulled in the garage I saw a stream of ATF heading out and down the street, staining the snow red. I took a close look, and my gasket had failed, splitting lengthwise along the mating surface of the sump and trans valve body. That left a slit opening and I had lost 3 quarts of ATF. Thankfully I wasn't far from home when it failed!

If you've got several months use from a trans service then chances are the gasket is well seated and should hold fine. Mine did until I messed with it during the service... if you've had the work done recently then watch that gasket closely for awhile.

Best regards, -Bob
  • cwigintoncwiginton Member Posts: 14
    I thought that I would come over here to ask this question. I asked it on the Rovers North site and all I got was a smart-[non-permissible content removed] remark.

I have a Disco Series II and in the owner's manual it says to only put ethylene glycol based coolant with OAT inhibitors into the coolant system. My question is how do you know if there are OAT inhibitors in the coolant? (most of the brands I saw just said that it contained proprietary inhibitors) One other question: will propylene glycol based coolant in any way impair the system?

Thanks in advance.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Coolant with the proper OAT inhibitors is red or orange in color. Dexcool by Havoline is the brand recommended by Land Rover. I would stay away from coolant not recommended by Land Rover.
  • mountainmamamountainmama Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in purchasing a used Discovery, is there any year I should stay away from? I would love to get a brand new one, but they are a bit too pricey for me at this time. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!
    You might actually prefer a Series I over a newer one! If so, try to get a '97 or newer, '96 was prone to gummed up valve stems. If you DO get a '96 make SURE the valves have been done, or thoroughly inspected. It is EXPENSIVE to do it out of pocket.

My '96 is in for an auto trans RE-service (boy did I dodge a bullet on that problem!!!) and they gave me a spanking new Series II to drive in the interim. And, call me a heretic but I truly prefer the Series I. Better steering feel, better power, better brakes, I can see out of the thing, doors open wider, more usable room inside, and it just drives better. Partial??? Not me!!

(grin) Best regards, -Bob
  • drewsherman68drewsherman68 Member Posts: 6
    I am looking at a 2001 Discovery SD. Without any options the dealer is offering me a lease based on 31,985 (including dest)which is about $1700 over invoice. LR is no longer including the maintenance plan which bums me out considering come of the things I've read on here.

Curious what kid of numbers other people are seeing.
  • honeybeezmehoneybeezme Member Posts: 1
    DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE 2000 OR 2001 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY II HAS DUAL OVERHEAD CAM SHAFTS. I WANT TO BUY ONE BUT AM HAVING TROUBLE DECIDING DUE TO NOT KNOWING WHAT THE ENGINE IS EQUIPPED WITH (CAM SHAFTS OR PUSHRODS) PLEASE HELP!!!

THANKS
    josh@bbnp.com
    I need to find a site or phone#/address for detailed info on location of specific parts on my land rover disco. My dealership is not very receptive to my needs and I need to pinpoint the specific location of problematic parts in order to guarantee proper service. This will allow me to utilize my warranty coverage. If I had my own garage I would perform the work myself with assistance as needed, but that is not possible right now. The more I know about my disco, the better I can take care of her and that is my objective. So, I'd appreciate any help! Thank you all. P. S. : Is anyone located in upstate NE New York?? :)
  • uconn44uconn44 Member Posts: 1
    I considering buying a 1997 discovery. The vehicle had one owner and has 25K miles....the dealer let me see the maint. history and i'm concerned about repairs in 8/00 with 23K miles. On that visit it mentioned that oil leaks at rear of engine. the dealership repaired the seal rear main bearing; cup plug cylinder block; oil seal crankshaft; and gasket exhaust manifold...if you were in my shoes, would you buy the vehicle?
    Josh - The 4.0 Disco engine is a pushrod design with two valves per cylinder. It is oriented toward low end torque, so it doesn't need the 4 valve heads and dual overhead cams to control the valve train at high RPMs. For what it's worth mine is happy as a clam at high tide at 5k RPMs and has a very nice power peak at around 70mph on the highway.

Oceandweller - You might have to buy the factory service manual to do this and to perform your own maintenance. It's spendy, about $100. There are actually several, the other most mentioned one is the electrical manual and it's another big chunk. But they quickly pay for themselves.

Uconn - What is the remaining warranty on the truck? I would be grateful the rear main seal was done... many of them leak. Rovers are hand built trucks and if poor attention is given at assembly then these problems are solved under warranty. Pay extra attention to "sticking valves" with the '97, the problem first appeared in '96 and it is a serious expense. Have the dealer explain THOROUGHLY what it is, and see if they can convince you it is not going to be a problem with the '97... it may in fact be a late '96. Not all trucks do it, but make sure before you buy. Also look at swivel seals, hub seals, springs (is it sagging on the off side?) and look for play in the swivel pins. Ask the dealer to change ALL fluids before you buy, I do so with mine every year. If that's all there is on the service history, it's a keeper.

Best regards and I hope this helps, -Bob
  • polarbeariepolarbearie Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone. I have recently become a DISCO fan! I have like serious Disco fever. I am planning to sell my 97 camry and get a 97 disco SE. i can afford it as long as maintenance doesn't cost too much. can anyone tell me of any major problems, or how much parts generally cost. are they expensive? i test drove a 96 disco and fell completely in love! augh.... i want a 97 SE so bad. so if anyone could give me some input... thanks!!! -anyone wanna sell their 97 disco to me? =0)
    Hey "polarbearie", you're getting that LR Disco feeling, soon you'll be addicted. For maintenance costs, see me post # 171 above. Yes, LR parts are expensive, so is labor. If you can, buy a '97 or later model, and if possible, get an extended full warranty. I love my DII, but I'll never keep it past the warranty period. Looking around my dealership work area, I see engines, t-cases, transmissions, etc. replaced routinely. How does $9,000 sound for a new engine? (The [non-permissible content removed] whose engine blew up had not changed the oil in 37,400 miles!).

Find what you like, look it over good, take it to a LR tech if you can find a good one, and if it's all OK, go for it!

PS: Stay away from 95, 96, and 99 DII models as they seem to be more prone to problems. But then I've had problematic BMW's, Toyotas', and Benzes as well!
  • awseymourawseymour Member Posts: 18
    Hi folks,

I have a 2000 Discovery II with 5700 miles which had a major problem on a cold day last month. The electronic control module in the transmission failed (started with the mode lights blinking) and the engine basically shut down. Fortunatly It was in the driveway at home. I had to have it towed (110 miles) to the dealer in Maine. They were great and replaced the part. Its been running fine since, a major change in shift patterns and smoothness. However at 7 above the Mode lights started blinking again yesterday. I let it run to warm up and re-started the engine and everything seems fine. Has anyone had this problem in the cold ?
  • stillalivestillalive Member Posts: 1
    FYI - Buckle Up!!!

Two weeks ago I was driving my 2000 LR Disco (only three loan payments made) in dry, clear open highway. I was cutoff and swerved to keep from hitting the guy. Next thing I know, I was sailing across the highway on the roof. I am only alive because I had my seat bealt on. I also believe that the steal frame kept the Disco from caving in more than it did. When I saw the car the following day (I walked away from the accident!), the side frame had bent in 8-10 inches inward and the roof was about 10 inches from the steering wheel. As I said, I think the Discovery and my seat belt saved my life. HOWEVER. I also firmly believe that we tipped over way too easily. I know that I would not have tipped over in a car, and I am not sure if SUVs that are not as high would have tipped as easily. Bottom line - sedans from this point forward. But if you really want the SUV - Buckle UP!
  • bstaussbstauss Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of purchasing a used Discovery with a 5-speed. I would have purchased new but it is no longer offered. What is the last year the 5-speed manual transmission was offered? Any years with a 5-speed that I should avoid? And, would appreciate opinions of the manual vs automatic. One reason I'm considering the 5-speed is because the Series II automatic I test drove seemed rather sluggish. I love the vehicle but want a bit more get up and go (have had two V-8 Grand Cherokees, which go like stink).
  • neo5neo5 Member Posts: 12
    OK guys, you guys are really scaring me.

When my wife, looking for SUV after getting her lexus sedan stuck in our driveway for the third time this winter, pulled out a brochure for the 2001 DiscoII - I so overcame with joy that I openly wept!!
    Of course the reason she picked out DiscoII (along with Montero) was not for the USUAL Land Rover virtues, but because she wanted the third row seat!!!
    Nonetheless, I was ecstatic to test-drive 2001 DiscoII (and Montero), and is getting ready to purchase/lease.

However, reading some HORRIBLE tales on this Town Hall postings, now I am not so sure!!!
    It is very apparent that the Land Rover will be more like my Saab (quirky and totally unpredictable in regards to reliability) then my wife's Lexus (so $#%& BORINGLY reliable).

Way I look at it is that even if I spend half of time in the dealership, I would look darn good going to/from there!!

Would I be smart to lease this thing rather than to purchase?? Or should I just stick with the reliable Japanese-made (Montero)???

HELP!!!!!!! (by the way, unfortunately I am what you would call a TOTAL MECHANICAL MORON).

Tim in Michigan (Go Blue)
    Hey "neo5", go for it - the Disco that is! Like I've said, I've had Toyota, Mercedes, and BMW vehicles that were total Lemons - much worse than my '00 DII (no problems yet, at 12600 miles incl. two 3000 mile trips!).

Leasing sounds like a good idea if it provides you a tax break, otherwise I would buy. Just remember, an SUV is not a car so don't drive it like one unless you get the ACE option.

Montero is nice, but they are too complicated for what you need - everything is high tech and that is just asking for it.

I've not had or heard of cold day start problems, steering problems, or any other unusual stuff. Guess I've been lucky.

Happy Rovers!
  • kemmonskemmons Member Posts: 29
    I have seen people from MI post messages; I hope you're still out there. Can any of you tell me how good the 2 local SE Michigan LR dealers rate? I have heard mixed reviews about the one in Birmingham, and although the news from the Farmington Hills dealer is more positive, I haven't found many people that have dealt with them.

My husband and I have been researching Disco's for a year now trying to be as educated as possible, but I still have one unanswered concern. When dealers obtain older Disco's (97 & 98) they detail them and degrease the engine. That's all fine and well, but it has made it difficult to check for oil leaks. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We thought we found a good one at a NIssan Dealer, but ended up not buying it. To make a long story short, I believe the dealer engaged in some unethical practices. I know, what's new, but how can you determine unethical from illegal? (It was that bad.)

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated. We're still looking for a 97-98 Disco if anyone out there in Detroit area has one they're parting with. knbemmons@netscape.net
    Here's some second hand info: My mechanic has a 1995 Discovery with manual transmission and has had some difficulty locating transmission parts when needed. According to his wife they had to go to Quebec in search of a part and were still unable to do so(they live in Albany, NY area). Land Rover Discovery stopped selling manual trans. in the US in 1996. I miss having a manual, but I love my Disco(1996)enough to let it go. If you're in the market for a pre-owned Defender(pricey, but lovely)that too is an option, but the Defender's a whole other story(parts, expense, and no air bags)!! Good luck with your search!
  • lgraylgray Member Posts: 5
    I am considering buying a 2001 Disco very soon. I am a little uneasy about the no-negotiating pricing at Land Rover. Is it really the case that everyone pays MSRP? I'm just having a hard time believing it. Anyone out there with advice?
    There's an old saying about Rovers: "If it's not leaking, it's empty". Ahem.

Rover gasket quality control is spotty at best, but if you have an assembled piece that hasn't been messed with chances are it's not going to give you trouble. Case in point: I had zero leaks from my auto trans ('96 Disco) until I decided to bite the bullet and pay to have the 30k service done. Kent is a *great* mechanic but the gasket he got was flawed and a month later it failed, blowing ATF everywhere. It was replaced under warranty, but it seems that once it's messed with it takes awhile for parts to get happied up again to the "trustworthy" stage.

Additional note: '97 is a good starting year. There were sticking valve problems that started in '96. Pay extra attention to that when you consider buying. If someone tells you to pour through lots of upper end cleaner/carbon removing/valve cleaning goo to fix it, and they're a mechanic, DO NOT buy from them. The sticking affects the exhaust valves and that goo doesn't work. Another example: I had my valves done under warranty and it took EIGHT gasket sets before Kent found one he'd consider putting into an engine (crimped head gaskets).

Buying a Disco WILL BE a love/hate thing. Trust me on this. If you're mechanically inclined and have lots of tools then you'll love messing with it, and it will reward you with good feelings. This will be a truck you "name". People don't name their appliances, but they do name things with which they have relationships. Is this a good or a bad thing? It depends entirely on you.

There are tons of good posts in the archives here, read read read! And best luck if you do decide to take the Muddy Oval plunge!

Best regards, -Bob
  • neo5neo5 Member Posts: 12
    THANKS rkoesler!!! Yes, I am getting that Disco Fever!!

I think I was just fooling myself that I will even consider Montero over Disco. Montero is NICE but can you really LOVE it like you would love a LR?????????? (I THINK NOT).

I mean here are my VISCERAL responses as I see a SUV drive by:
    LR Disco: 'SWEET!!! I MUST HAVE YOU NOW!!!!'
    Mitsu: 'What the ...?'
    Navigator:'WHY???? O lord, WHY???'
    MDX: 'Hmm, a nice looking minivan...'
    4Runner: 'More CHROME please..'

So wish me luck, as we start to negotiate. (and as you can see I enter this with unshakable grip on reason, guided by undistractable rationality!)

By the way, Ms. Kemmons, I have dealt with Birmingham (MI) Lavery people in two different occasions (shopping for Infinity some years ago and now shopping for LR) - and BOTH times, I ended up going elsewhere for better deals. So far my experience at the LR dealership in Farm Hill has been very pleasant (once again, wish me luck!!!). I will let you know how I felt AFTER the negotiation is done.

And Igray, it is absolutely BS, when they tell you to pay MSRP!!!!!!!!!
    Through the infamous X-plan (special deals for the "friends" of Ford employees) currently we are working on DiscoII SD7 (darn kids!) with cold weather package (MSRP total 36225 / invoice 32305) around 34760, or est. 1500 above invoice. WALK AWAY and look for another dealer.

(Almost) Happy Rovers!!
    That was good, "neo5"! And I hope everyone here listens to "nanuq", he knows his stuff.

You can go to any board and find horror stories about any vehicle, not just LR. They (LR's) however grow on you, and become part family - if they get sick, you want to heal them asap. My dealer replaces all leaking gaskets (still made from cork) with "space-age" goo (form-a-gasket) with good luck.

Prices of LR have dropped dramatically since I bought my two. Where I paid $44,000, people now are paying around $38,000 for the same. Some RR's are discounted from $ 59,900 down to $ 51,000. Bad for trade-in or resale, but good for buyers.

On my '00 Disco, I didn't even try to negotiate. I made my deal and then stated my conditions: I will buy it if you include:_ _ _ etc. That way I got the little things I wanted for free (?), or at least it seemed so, and it made me feel good.

I added free wheel locks, brush & light guards, rubber mats, cargo nets, LR skid plates (which cost me an amazing $ 1800), and tire cover.

I much prefer driving my "Rovie" over my 4x4 Toy truck or my Mercedes sedan, and I never miss a dirt trail when I see it. I'm a federal agent that investigates environmental crimes, so many of my "scenes" are fields, creeks, and other places that my official "police interceptor" model Crown Victoria could never go - others have to walk in, I DRIVE. Of course I catch hell about being "overpaid" since I have a Land Rover.

Happy Rovering!