Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• andrewmoandrewmo Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the redesigned 04 discovery will be getting a new engine? While the OHV motor is very durable and simple to work on its very old technology. Some variant of the BMW V8 thats in the new RR would tilt me towards waiting for the new disco. If they would only see sense and start selling the Diesel motor in the US I'd be down at the dealer with my check book in an instant.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    I don't know when the Discovery is getting new engines, but I do know that when it does it will not be a BMW engine. The only reason that the new Range Rover is BMW powered is that the vehicle was developed when BMW owned Land Rover. Now that Land Rover is owned by Ford and has been joined with Jaguar and Aston Martin organizationaly, BMW powerplants are not in the picture.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    I think the Series 3 are due out in 2005. I understand that it will use the Jaguar motors. One rumor floating is that a V6 will be the base motor with a V8 being optional. Just a rumor.
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    I really don't know what or why people are complaining about - the current 4.0 liter and especially the newly installed 4.6 are terrific engines. There is plenty of power, torque, they run smooth, sound good, are easy to maintain, etc.
    I would not have it any other way. If you don't like the LR as is, go get a [non-permissible content removed] mobile, or Kraut pretender (excepting the G-wagon). But quit your damn whining about the LR engine !!!!!!!!!!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    BMW powerplants are not in the picture.

Thank god!
    That 4.6 is nice. Very smooth with good power.
  • turkeydriverturkeydriver Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2002 for $150 above invoice. The dealership was very eager to move remaining 02's to make way for the 03's so if you are planning on a new Discovery now might be the time.
  • dan983dan983 Member Posts: 2
    Wow:

My first day or Discovery ownership was interesting. I just purchased a 01 with 13,000 miles. Noticing the wiper blades were streaking, I tried to purchase some re-fills at the local auto parts store. They gave me some that were purported to fit and as I was trying to remove them the 1 penny plastic part that holds the entire blade on snapped. Of course I thought I'd just buy the blade, but not possible as the Brits appear to have copied an E. German system of connecting the blade to the wiper arm. I then called the local dealer who reported since it's Sat. the parts department is closed. I then checked with Napa, Pep Bros., Walmart and Discount Auto Parts but no luck. No one in the USA has wiper blades but the few Land Rover dealers, open Monday-Friday. I guess I should feel fortunate it runs on American high test gas and that international sized tire will fit on the rims. Hey, Bill Ford why don't you do one of those feel good commercials to discuss how a family traveling in a Rover, unable to see, can stop and get new Anco wiper blades.

I guess I should buy a half dozen at the dealer on Monday.
  • dswanson3dswanson3 Member Posts: 4
    I am contemplating the purchase of the 2003 Discovery II HSE. I heard that the body of the 2004 or 2005 model is being redesigned. Is this true? If so, what are the changes? Also, with the few reviews I have read, I have not heard that many negatives? I would appreciate any information pertaining to my concerns.
    It will be a complete redesign with IFS & IRS. It will more than likely share some components with the Explorer, but no one knows how many yet. There are suppose to be 2 different wheelbases as well. The shorter one for 5 passengers and the longer for a 7 seater with more room. Haven't heard anyting firm yet on engine choices. They may be using jaguar motors. It will still be built in england.
    The 2003 is very nice. The ride is a little smoother, better braking and the larger engine is quite nice. Good "get up and go."

It will be interesting to see if they keep the '05's price close to the current ones.
    I am trying to determine whether to purchase the Toyota Sequoia Limited or the Discovery II HSE. I know these vehicles are hard to compare, but does anyone have any words of wisdom to help with my decision. Thanks
    It will be a complete redesign with IFS & IRS

Uh Oh...
    I haven't heard anything to that effect internally. But if it does happen, it will probably work like the 03 Range Rover. There has been no issue with how that works off-road, in fact there has been quite a bit of praise for the performance.
  • modendahlmodendahl Member Posts: 22
    I have a question that I think came up a while ago here but I have no idea when - searching for an hour seems a waste so here goes:

Does anybody know about replacing rotors at the same time as brake pads? I have a 2000 Disco II and the dealer tells me that it is just standard practice to replace the rotors every time that the pad is replaced. The rotor doesn't have to be worn, "just needs to be done at the same time". Something about the ABS system.

I don't know about you guys, but it sounds a little fishy coming from the dealer. My experience is that, yes - the rotors should be replaced when worn, but a rotor within the spec should be fine. This was when the fronts needed new pads several months ago and they said the backs were fine but would need to be done soon.

It would have helped had the same dealer told me about this when selling me the car. One of the deciding factors was that all maintainence was included for 50K miles. Paying several hundred $$ extra for rotors because "it just needs to be done at the same time" was kind of like a kick in the teeth from the same guy who took my money 18 months ago.

I go in for service in 2 days so any opinion is appreciated.
    Ask to see in the Workshop Manual where it is listed as required (it isn't).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    First Drive: 2003 Land Rover Discovery

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

That sounds like crap to me. The rotors should last a long time. At some point they would have to be resurfaced, but I can't imagine having to replace them so early on.
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    I replace my brake pads ~every 17k miles and at 72k miles my rotors are still within tolerance for minimum wear thickness.

I'd recommend you find a new dealer. If he's misleading in the simple things... what will happen if something more serious comes up?

Annnnnd, if you have access to hand tools I recommend you do your own brake pad replacements. It's a SUPER easy job, great design, it's fast and it gives you a better appreciation of your truck. If you had it on blocks so both wheels were elevated on the same side, I bet you could replace both sets of pads in 20 minutes... and then rotate the tires front <--> back while it's up in the air! hint hint... (and reset the pressures when you're done.)

Best regards, -Bob
  • sportmsportm Member Posts: 3
    Local dealer gave me the story about their pricing being fixed, and they're suppose to sell at the MSRP, which is $39,495 for '03 SE. Said he'd give me a deal at $37,637. This is my first experience dealing with Land Rover, so I'm wondering if this is a fair price? I'm also wondering if I wait a month, maybe I'll get a better price? I've always gotten a bigger discount through other mfgs, so this doesn't seem like such a good deal to me. Any help is much appreciated!
    I understand your question about pricing. I don't know if you're interested, but my advice would be to wait and buy one that's nearly new (6 months?) for many thousands off the "new" price.

That's what I did, and I got the truck I wanted for a GREAT price. I still had plenty of warranty left and the dealer here still treats me like a valued customer (and I didn't even buy it used from him!)

Just my $.02 -Bob
    The manufacturer cannot dictate what vehicles are sold for, although all manufacturers set MSRP (manufacturers suggested retail price) at what they feel is a fair price for their product. One thing to remember about most Land Rover dealers is they do not have the high volume of sales to allow deep discounts. You can make less profit percentage off your vehicles if you can sell a lot of them. Land Rover dealers don't have this luxury, they have to retain a higher percentage of profit per vehicle to stay in business. Land Rover sold less vehicles in the US (Discovereys and Range Rovers) last year for the year than Ford sold Explorers in one month.
  • 4myinfo4myinfo Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering a 96 or newer Discovery for my kid's first car. We have been looking at Toyota 4 Runners but pricing on older Disc seems competitive. What should I look out for? elec problems? expensive to repair? bad brakes? any info I would appreciate.
    I think they are just using the "MSRP" line because they are new.

"Each Land Rover Retailer sets vehicle prices individually." This is directly off of their website. So the price should be a little flexible.

The price you were quoted doesn't sound bad at all. That is the lowest Iv'e heard.

Do they have the Center Diff Lock in it yet?

Good Luck
    Watch for rust... Around the Upper "Safari" windows, bottoms of doors, hood..etc.

If it's rusty, pass on it.

Watch for leather wear, lack of maintinence (Is it sitting on el-cheapo-el-crappo tires?), faded paint on the hood and roof, little electrical problems and AC..

Overall, after scaring you (LOL) these are GREAT vehicles. They dont like being mis-maintained though.

If any of you are in Orlando BTW, I have a GREAT Land Rover tech!

Hope this helps!

Bill
    Center diff lock is not available yet.
    Thanks to everybody for the info. Mrwhipple, I think what you said about the price being higher because they are new is probably true. Maybe I should be a little more patient and wait a month or so to give them an idea of how well their inventory will move. I am also surprised to hear that is the lowest price you've heard. And for "tincup47", what you said also makes sense. I will take all this into consideration before finalizing anything. But if I can get them to go lower, better for me! I will update my final price. Thanks again!
    I don't want to be the one to throw water on the fire, but I wouldn't buy a Rover for a kid's first car.

My thinking is this: I know how I drove in my teens (ahem). I know how peer pressure prods one into doing things not normally done. I know that these are trucks and not cars, with corresponding high CGs and roll rates. I know these are tough vehicles, but also expensive to fix.

If it was me, I'd buy something a little more disposable, cheaper to fix, and able to withstand the unthinkable: an intersection side impact.

It ain't cool, but a BIG sedan comes to mind. Look at what the police and cabbies drive... they spend their lives in harm's way in traffic. Their choice for vehicles makes sense.

In a few more years, think about something with a high CG and long travel suspension. This is your child, one of the most precious things in the Universe. If your selection makes you uncool, s/he will thank you for it some day.

Just my $.02 -Bob
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I'm with Bob on this one. A great first car would be a used, ex-cop (P71)Crown Vic.

Just my 2¢. - Dave :-)
    Thanks to everybody for the info. Mrwhipple, I think what you said about the price being higher because they are new is probably true. Maybe I should be a little more patient and wait a month or so to give them an idea of how well their inventory will move. I am also surprised to hear that is the lowest price you've heard. And for "tincup47", what you said also makes sense. I will take all this into consideration before finalizing anything. But if I can get them to go lower, better for me! I will update my final price. Thanks again!
    Any news on when it's going to appear in the new model. Iv'e heard rumors it might show up after the Aug. build dates. Any truth?
  • ahinesahines Member Posts: 1
    I can't stand it any longer. I have to have a Discovery. Other than you folks, I can't seem to find many positive remarks about this car. Am I about to waste my money or are we really talking "Rover Envy" by the reviewers? I just can't picture myself driving an Explorer!

Thanks
    If you have to have it, go get it:-) Life's too short, and most reviewers don't get all that much seat time before they jump into another rig.

Steve
    Host
    I am flying 200 miles tomorrow to purchase a 2003 Discovery II HSE. The only negative reviews that I have read were in reference to the outdated body style. Also, I noticed that it didn't fare so well with some collision test's. Ahines - What negative reviews are you referring too?
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    Who cares what a reviewer thinks, they gripe about Rover styling and ergonomics. So what if some of the switchgear isn't located where it is in other vehicles. After owning a Rover for a short time you get used to where everything is located. Rovers have a certain Roverness that no other vehicle on earth has - there's only one way to scratch the Land Rover itch - get one! You won't regret it.

Good to see everyone is enjoying their Rovers - I'm still in the sunbelt and just don't have a need for another Land Rover. I was in the market for an SUV type vehicle last year and ended up with a new BMW X5 - it ain't no Land Rover but it fits my needs perfectly since the tallest hill around here is a parking lot speed bump and the most inclement weather is an occaisional rain storm. That new Range Rover is one sweet looking ride - I think I feel an itch comming on - I must avoid my local Land Rover dealer, I must avoid my local Land Rover dealer, I must avoid my local Land Rover dealer, I must avoid my local Land Rover dealer.
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    I purchased my new 03 Disco SE a few weeks ago. It is great! I got it for less than MSRP. Drove 200 miles to get it but it was worth it. The dealer had the color and equipment I was looking for. Really happy with the 4.6 engine.

KK
  • lexlanlexlan Member Posts: 10
    I am considering purchasing a Disc II loaded with 39K miles from a dealer in TX. The price seems too good to be true at $22K. Anyone have any opinions about known problems with the 99's. There is no known outside service facility in Memphis other than the dealer which I have heard is hard to deal with on service. I am weighing a DII vs. a new GMC p/u. I know the DII is a much more unique purchase but my off road time will be limited at most. How does the ride for a 30 min. commute each day. I already know the mileage will be horrendous..any opinions from DII owners?
  • thailandroverthailandrover Member Posts: 1
    Background: Cars are VERY expensive in Thailand and I have the Landrover itch...so my only choice at the moment is a 1994 V8 (3.9L) Discovery. which will cost around 16,000 US Dollars (New Discoveries are around (67,000US dollars - I know...madness!)

The car I am considering has 100,000Kms on the clock, ONE owner and a full service history at Landrover.

The dealer will let me take it away and have it checked over by Landrover (can't be fairer than that)before purchase.

Can anyone advise: What should I have checked? What can I expect to change in the future?
    Info would be much appreciated....
    Pricey! Sure you can't get by with a tuk-tuk? ;-)

Steve
    Host
    I'd say you've got a good one there. If the owner kept it that long and kept up the service, then all bugs are worked out and he hung onto it for a reason. It's before the GEMSII system, which is good (no sticking exhaust valves). All service is verifiable, and at 100k kms you have a TON of life left. Look closely for rust at the base of the door frames and the alpine windows, and check the fluids for corrosion and rust. If you do buy it, have ALL fluids changed and start your own logs for change intervals. Note you're coming up on the 65,000 mile service and that's a spendy one... it might be a negotiating point?

Good luck! -Bob
    To all,

Just bear with Steve. He spent a long time here in Alaska and once he moved out, his brain thawed. The symptoms you see here are normal. The only solution is to do what I do: stay here and keep the grey matter perpetually frozen.

*grin* (and ducking)
    All the engines had "sticking valves". The valve sticking problem became apparent with the onset of OBDII diagnostics. One of the items it checks for is misfires, and it doesn't take much of a misfire to trigger a CEL. Most sticking valve problems are CEL lights illuminating, only in extreme circumstances is it noticable in earlier engines without misfire detection. The engine did not undergo any major changes with the onset of the GEMS system, it just exposed an already existing problem that wasn't a major deal.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I've held my exhaust valves in my hands and seen the black gum on the valve stem, and tried to slide it up and down in the guide, and have been unable to do so (as smoothly as it needs be.)

My understanding is the onset of the 4.0L engine with its new head design in '96 is the culprit; the '95 had far fewer instances of sticking valves. In fact, having had the carbon cutting valves put in my '96 and changing nothing else, I have not had a repeat of the stumbling, lack of power, *EXTREMELY* bad misfire, etc. etc. If it was simply an over-inquisitive OBD system, it would have immediately recognized the continuing driving patterns, fuel grades, temperature ranges... none of which has changed.

With all due respect, this is what I've gleaned from my years with the beast. I appreciate your input. -Bob
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    "Sticking valves" is an oft-discussed topic at another Disco board I frequent and it seems to be a generally accepted "truth" that it was not an issue in the 3.9's but only in the 4.0's.

Don't shoot the messenger, just reporting what I've read.
    The Cylinder head part number was the same from the start of US production (94) with the 3.9 engine and was not changed until December of 1998, when the Bosch Engined vehicles appeared in the Discovery Series II. The heads and valves are the same for the 3.9-4.0 engines according to the parts book. Any repairs after Dec. 1998 would have used the newer components.
    Would this potential problem affect the 4.6 in the '03 models?
    I understand the advent of GEMS on the '96 4.0 was when the problem started. It's coincidental that OBDII showed up that year too... or perhaps it was necessitated to keep GEMS on a short leash?

In any case, the problem didn't affect all Discos, and no amount of additives and hard driving (I speak from experience here) would clear the valve stems once fouled.

There was some GEMS tweaking and voila' the '97s had much less sticking. It has since been innoculated out of the line... to the point I wouldn't even give it a thought in the 2003.

You must remember that what I know of these trucks is relative to only a couple of years, and much of it is inherited conjecture... with a certain amount of urban legend thrown in for fun. For certain, these beasts thrive on regular hard use (which may have kept the valves scrubbed) but not quite so certain is whether indeed Lord Lucas remains close at hand.

LORD LUCAS DISCLAIMER: My lousy British piece of tin (whoops: aluminum) runs like a crippled sow in a field of wet wheat, and drips oil like the Exxon Valdez on Bligh Reef. wink wink, nudge nudge.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    My lousy British piece of tin (whoops: aluminum) runs like a crippled sow in a field of wet wheat, and drips oil like the Exxon Valdez on Bligh Reef.

If it's British then shouldn't it be aluminium? :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    ...I just cannot bring myself to put the emphasis on that syllable, no matter how I try.

;)
    Let's not even get into how you pronounce "Valdez" up there :-)

Steve
    Host