Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Real World MPG

Comments

• mattgg1mattgg1 Member Posts: 191
    My girlfriend has a new '07 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD with less than 1000 miles on the odometer.

We have filled up three times, driving more than 300 miles each time, filling up only when the tank is close to empty. Here are the results:
    25.35 MPG
    25.72 MPG
    26.22 MPG

This is mostly highway/suburban/rural driving, although it includes a daily commute into downtown Cincinnati.

I would also caution people on gauging fuel economy based on a limited number of miles driven per tank. The margin of error can be substantial if you're determining MPG from only a few gallons of gas. It is more accurate if you can provide MPG numbers when using 12/13/14 gallons.
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    We finally took that trip to Montauk, [flat terrain, no wind, 75 degree weather w/AC on; no traffic, holding 65mph] using 9.8 gallons in 286 miles = 29 mpg. That's more like it, but I think it can do better after more breakin. Driver's seat not too comfy after an hour.
  • ces1938ces1938 Member Posts: 61
    BOY THAT MUST BE GREAT FOR YOU, I KNOW OF NO ONE THAT HAS EVEN COME CLOSE, MOTHER TOYOTA MUST HAVE HER HAND ON YOU, HA.HA....
    ces1938 -

You state that you haven't seen anyone come close to 29MPG. Apparently you must have missed my post just a few days earlier!!!

I got just over 26MPG...in mixed driving (with speed over 80MPH at times)...with a V6!!!

Therefore, if I were to drive pure flat highways at 65MPH, I would certainly pick up another 2-3MPG. Which put me right at the 29MPG...with a V6!!!

I have no doubt the previous poster managed 29MPG in an I-4. It can be done without much effort.
    Must be nice :) I am so jealous, at least it seems that some people have had some good luck with thir mpg, sure a lot of us like me that didn't tho... :confuse: :cry:
  • gpurkgpurk Member Posts: 13
    I have an 06 4WD v-6 and the best I have received is 25 MPG and that was all highway at 65 mph. What is your secret?
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    I agree - I can get 27 mpg on longer trips out of my V6 AWD without trying at all at 65-70 mph. Driving it like I'm trying to make it on fumes to the next station (really easy on the accelerator, 50-55 mph max, coasting down hills, etc.) adds another 2-3 mpg. Not too practical to drive that way every day but it shows what the car is capable of mileage-wise.
    I don't think there is any secret to obtaining respectable fuel economy in the RAV4. It is just a matter of being a sensible driver most of the time.

However, gas mileage is HUGELY dependant on driving style, as well as type of driving (city/hwy), and other factors (hills, # of stoplights, traffic, ect). Two people, driving the exact same vehicle, can get wildly different MPG numbers.

We're over 1000 miles on our V6 4WD and on our 4th tank of gas. Just filled up yesterday and got 25.?? MPG. Keep in mind, this is mixed driving with a daily commute into downtown Cincinnati.

When I drive, I always accelerate easy from a stop and anticipate stops by getting off the gas and coasting, which I think has a huge effect on mileage.

On a regular basis, I find myself next to someone at a light. When the light turns green, they accelerate like a mad man, while I gently get up to speed (and eventually pass them). Then at the next red light, they wait until about 50 feet from the intersection before they mash on the brakes, while I've noticed the red light and coast to a stop.

Also, I average about 70-75MPH on the highway, but I'll drive much faster if need be. On the last tank of gas, I had it up to 90+MPG to get around a goofball driver, yet I still managed over 25MPG.

The point is, you can achieve good fuel economy by just driving sensibly, although you definitely don't have to baby it to average 25+MPG.
    Amen, mattg1. Let me add a couple of ideas. My dealer delivered the car with only 28psi in the tires [for a softer ride?]; the doorjamb label says 32psi, which I just added. That has to help. Call it "running on fumes", but I always try to feed as little gas as possible to maintain the speed I've chosen; I try to just "lean into" the pedal; as you say, the speedsters will be waiting at the next light. Speaking of speed, my motto is never to be the fastest car on the road; let someone else be the "bear bait". Most of all, I look ahead as far as possible, coasting whenever its obvious that the traffic ahead isn't moving.
  • tigersfantigersfan Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2007 RAV4 base model 4-cyliner 4wd in June, 2007 and now have 6,000 miles on it. In all city driving, I average 20-21 mpg. In 75% city/25% highway driving, I average 21-23 mpg. In all highway driving, I average 25-27.5 mpg. I noticed that my RAV4 had 5W-20 oil in it. The owner's manual states that 0W-20 oil will result in better gas mileage and better cold weather starting. I got my oil changed today to the 0W-20 in the hopes that my mileage will improve. I'm curious if anyone has gone with the 0W-20 oil and if it has improved your mileage.

Also, I have been trying different brands of gas to see if my RAV4 will get better mileage. The only tank of Shell gas resulted in under 20 mpg, and it wasn't much better with Marathon. Speedway gas returned decent highway mpg but fair city mpg. I seem to get the best city mpg with BP. For those who average good or excellent mpg, do you have a preferred brand of gas? I only use 87 octane or regular unleaded gas.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
    tigersfan, that 0W-20 oil should help. The brand of gas probably doesn't matter as much as whether there's ethanol added to it. Ethanol has 10% less energy than does gasoline and will reduce your mpg.
  • diskodisko Member Posts: 1
    I bought 07 base RAV4 4cyl fwd in late August. My wife has 1900 miles on it and is avg 17.5 mpg. She is not a wild woman but does have a tendency to take off fast and brake hard. That said, we live in a flat area and once a week she makes a 40 mile hi way round trip. I would estimate her at 80% city, 20% hiway. I was waiting for the break in period to be over before I got too concerned. Well, 2K has to be pretty close so I'm not happy. I got her the RAV to replace a Jeep Liberty which got 14-15 mpg. Man, I was hoping for 22-23 mpg here. At this point 20 is looking pretty good.

I will check tire pressure...again! Also, I will change the oil to OW-20 if I don't already have it in there. Any tips or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    I am getting 19mpg with mostly in town driving with a few highway miles thrown in. I have 550 miles and I have had it for 3 weeks. I really am enjoying this SUV. I am hoping to get better mpg after the break in period.
  • pompianpompian Member Posts: 1
    We have a well-maintained, 2002 Jeep Liberty. We are only getting 8-9 mpg in the city. The vehicle has been serviced at Jeep authorized dealers and was recently brought in for fuel injection cleaning/maintenance. What can be done to improve the mileage. It isn't the driver (my wife). HELP!
    I have 2300 miles on my 4cyl AWD RAV4. The sticker says 23/27 mpg. I used to think that my very light foot, moderate speed, etc., etc. would make it easy to beat those numbers. It's worked before with my two Buicks. Not this vehicle. Yes, I once clocked about 29mpg on an easy run in good weather, flat terrain, etc. Well, we just had 5 people with 5 rollaboards go 146 miles [90 turnpike, 20 traffic and 36 parkway] on 5.6 gallons = 26mpg. C'mon - my '99 Regal usually gets 30mpg on the same run with the same load. Well it just proves that the Toyota aint no Buick. Here's hoping some further breakin will improve things.
    Gee whiz pompian, that is hard to understand that a 4 or 6 cyl car would get such lousy gas mileage, I had an old Ford 3/4 ton truck that got that good, what does your dealer say?? if all else fails trade that sucker off, it is 32 cents a mile just for gas to drive it... sorry but that is all the advice I have, maybe some one else has an idea... come on guys and gals can you help this guy... good luck
  • dtowndtown Member Posts: 20
    I have an 07 2wd Rav, and my average MPG per tankful is 24. I have gotten as high as 28 mpg on a roadtrip, and even as low as 21. I keep a very close watch on my mileage every tank.
  • nitecapnitecap Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2007 RAV4, 4X2. The best estimates that I have come up with when I track it. Is 29/30 MPG Hwy., 23 in town with a mixture of A/C thrown in. Insofar as glitches or problems with the vehicle are nil at 9100 miles. My problem is with Toyota not including the prewiring in the "tow prep package" as they did with my 2002 Highlander.
    In essences you must do the pre-wire yourself (or dealer) with an OEM wiring harness from the fuse box down through the tunnel to the receiver. This is a rip-off!
  • nitecapnitecap Member Posts: 5
    Mike, It has if you consider the fact that the V6, (4X2) (same as the Avalon) is 269 HP v the RAV that your driving now. I'm getting 23 in town/ 29-30 hwy. @ 70-75 MPH with a mixture of A/C thrown in for good measure. Plus a 3500# tow rating. If your looking for a mixture of max HP @ the best gas mileage in a SUV, you'll be hard pressed to find better.

Thanks, Nitecap in Arizona
    YEAH RIGHT.... :P
    Apparently, the old rule of thumb that a big engine in a small car will use less gas than a small engine in the same car is true for the current RAV4. That's real world mpg. In other words, go for the V6, enjoy the pocket-rocket performance, and save gas over the 4cyl.
  • markc514056markc514056 Member Posts: 3
    I just took my RAV4 with 1,150 miles on it on it's first 500 mile roundtrip on the NY State Thruway. I tried babying it and set the cruise for 67 mph and averaged 28 mpg. Since everyone was passing me, there were long stretches when I never touched the gas pedal, one time I didn't touch it for over 100 miles. Is this about the best I can expect? Thanks for your input.
    markc, I can't say if 28 mpg is the best you can expect, but it's about the best that I've gotten. If, like me, you're disappointed in your RAV 4 4cyl's mpg, what would be your guess as to what it should get?
  • markc514056markc514056 Member Posts: 3
    I'm not sure, was hoping for about 30 mpg, I make the same trip with a 2006 Vibe and average 36 mpg. I guess it really doesn't matter, I'm stuck now. No, just kidding, it's a nice vehicle so far and a couple of mpg's really doesn't matter. Thank you for your reply.
  • curvigurlcurvigurl Member Posts: 1
    My heart is totally broken... Honestly, I searched long and hard for a new car, researching mileage, storage space, etc... In reality, I shopped for 2.5 months and test drove over ten different cars... The RAV4 had the best mileage for an SUV thus far and was not a HYBRID... Which I could not afford one of those at the ticket price that was offered.. However, for what I spend in gas, maybe I should have...

The reason, I chose this car was because it seemed to offer more benefits in the long run for the money... My honda civic hatchback rarely needed any extra maintenance and lasted 16 years with over 130, 000 miles... and still I got better gas mileage than my Toyota RAV 4... GAS is outrageously priced today...

Consistently, I am paying over $40 to fill my tank... the gas mileage advertised at 25- 30 mpg...With that thought in mind, I decided to give it a shot... Instead of purchasing a SCION or another smaller car...

Boy, did I make a mistake...

It is a JOKE driving this car... and believing the so called experts who rated this car, they should be embarrassed... But, of course.... all they want to do is SELL cars...

Well...I THOUGHT WRONG... Although, I baby this car and love it...Unfortunately, I have never gotten over 21 mpg... Which is disgusting... Since, I cannot afford to DRIVE it now... Because, I cannot afford the GAS... I expected at least 25 mpg... The very least... I may have to sell this car and take a LOSS now... that sucks royally... Not to mention, I had to take back to the dealer 4 times to repair the steering column... They broke that when they installed an alarm system...Oh, also, if you hear buzzing in your MP3 player, they are willing to install a filter... The dealership just realized that the music WINDS when you accelerate....

You know, when I bought my HONDA....I got the mileage that they said, "I would".... I don't get it...

Really, I should have stayed with HONDA... they have never failed me yet..AGAIN...WHAT WAS I THINKING...

When you find something great, you should stay with it...

LOYALTY...pays off.....
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Hang in! It costs too much to trade cars. Wait a few years for a Honda diesel. Good luck.
  • albondigasalbondigas Member Posts: 1
    Going to sell at a loss, eh? Well, email me if you're serious. The RAV4 is a nice ride and I think someone who's a little more cluefull could probably beat the revised EPA numbers. SUV's (or even crossovers ) don't get the same mileage as sedans--now you know. Now, what about you check your tire pressure and learn to coast to a stop, use cruise control, and get into the higher gears more quickly, eh?

This is an example of how Toyota's "infallibility" is working against it.
    I've learned the same lesson - it's a crossover/SUV, NOT a Camry sedan, Soooooo.....fuggeddabout 30+ mpg! I'm noticing some mpg improvement as the engine breaks in...with 3,000 miles, I'm now averaging 24 mpg [that's 1/3 each city, suburban and highway driving]. No, I'm not too happy, but I'll have to live with it for a couple of years. And, yes, I blame Toyota for not doing more [5 or 6-speed transmission; easier coasting, less wind resistance, less WEIGHT, etc.] to save gas in the RAV4. Shoulda got the V6, no?
    You are right, it is not a sedan, also you hit the nail on the head what you said about the 5 speed transmission... your off as for as weight, the Camry out weighs the Rav... also the wind resistance is correct, should not have had to get the V6 gas mileage tho.... I sold a 2002 Honda mini van and bought the 2006 Rav, have almost 20 K miles on it and the gas mileage has not improved on bit, I am avg. about 23 mpg with mostly highway driving, or on a trip I can get 25 to 26 mpg, as long as I DON'T use the cruse, it wrecks the gas mileage.... in fact my 4100 lb. with a 240 hp engine would beat it on the highway.... tough lesson huh, one I wont forget for a while.... I also have a 2005 Camry with 4 cyl. gets great gas mileage all the time.... :mad: :cry: :P
  • hackdhackd Member Posts: 65
    You can't afford the car since you expected 25 MPG and never get over 21 MPG? Sounds to me like you couldn't afford the car in the first place. 4 MPG should not make or break a budget.
  • cruiser10cruiser10 Member Posts: 12
    Curvigurl: You don't say what RAV4 model you have (4 vs. v-6, or 2wd or AWD) nor do you say what kind of driving you are doing such as local, stop and go, all highway, etc. , but the mileage you are getting seems to be within EPA's estimates (20-27 mpg for a 4 and 19-27 for a v-6). If your car only has 1500 miles on it, the mpg will probably improve 1 or so mpg after 6 - 10K miles. Short trips, stop and go, will really pull numbers down. My V-6 AWD with 10K is getting 21 to 22 local, and about 24-27 highway. Our local driving is pretty good because we don't have a lot of stop and go on our daily commutes.

As far as a Honda - I think if you check the CRV forum you will find about the same #'s as folks reporting on the RAV4 forum. I have seen some 07 CRVers claiming 17-18 in stop and go, and as high as 29-30 on the highway. CRV EPA is 20/26.

One final thought, at $3.00 per gallon gas, the difference between 21 vs 25 mpg over 100,000 miles is $2, 285 dollars. Selling your RAV and losing the initial depreciation is probably not financially sound.
  • bay26bay26 Member Posts: 3
    Recently purchased a 07 Rav4 4cyl AWD with 3rd roll seating. I believe the 3rd roll added 300 or more lbs to the vehicle. So far, I drove about 2K miles. I mainly drive local(NYC). So the low mileage is not surprising. The highest i ever got was 26 MPG on purely Highway. I average about 18-20 MPG in city(60%) and highway(40%). My tire pressure is at 32 and i am light on the gas pedal. I'm wondering if the added weight due to the 3rd roll have something to do with the low average MPG. In any case, i love the Rav4, it's a nice utility vehicle.

Anyone out there i can compare MPG with? Would appreciate the response. Thanks!!
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Revised "real world" EPA ratings for your configuration are 20 city/25 highway...sounds like you are right where you should be.

BTW 300 pounds would cost you 1 mpg at most...even for a 3rd "roll".
    Under the Revised "real world" EPA ratings, I'm getting about 18 MPG on city driving. That's 2 MPG below average. That's $6 bucks on every refuel. So it seems 3rd roll may have something to do with it.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    3rd doesn't weigh 300 lbs. On 2004-2007 Highlanders, an optional 3rd row only adds 50 lbs, so it is very doubtful a RAV4 3rd row weighs 300 lbs.
    According to Toyota website:

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating -- GVWR (lb.) (2WD/4WD)

4-cylinder models 4430/4535

with third-row seats 4730/4865

That's 330lbs extra for a V4 AWD with 3rd roll. Back to my question of loosing 2MPG because this. Anybody out there that can confirm this?
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - weight of the car PLUS passengers and cargo. 3rd row seat allows for two more passengers, or about 300+ lbs.
    First the good news - there seems to be a "break-in effect" on mpg. Passing 4,000 miles, I noticed a smoother running engine, and an average of 24 mpg per fillup, up from about 22 mpg when the car was new. We're talking equal miles of NYC traffic, suburban short hops and highway runs. In traffic it seems to get about 22mpg. Now for the bad news - this SUV/Crossover is a brick on the highway with lots of drag - how else to explain the 26 mpg or so I'm getting [EPA rates it at 23/27 mpg]? The I4 engine, which SEEMS efficient [165 hp from only 144 cubic inches] has trouble dragging that body through the air at highway speeds, without using too much gas. Very disappointing. Has anyone out there seen 30 mpg? A little disclosure, to show that designing for high mpg is not all science. My other vehicle is an '04 Buick Rendezvous FWD. It has a 3.4L 12-valve pushrod engine and it weighs 500 lbs more than my RAV4, yet it averages 24mpg and tops 30mpg on the highway. And, it's no streamliner. True, no AWD either, but still.....
  • cfreas1cfreas1 Member Posts: 6
    I'll add my experience to the mix. I took my '07 FWD V6 LTD from Atlanta, GA to NJ and back over the holidays. I started the trip with 1100 miles on the odometer. I averaged 27 MPG with an average hwy speed of 70 mph. I am getting 24 MPG around town.

Chuck
    Thanks, cfreas1. You confirm my suspicion that the V6 will actually use LESS gas than the I4, especially on the highway. Sounds like you have a nice light foot around town, too.
    It's worth noting that the new "real world" 2008 EPA rating for the AWD 4 cylinder is 20 mpg city, 25 mpg highway, so it seems you are about where the powers that be expect. They changed how they estimate mpg because the old system was usually too optimistic.

The 2008 V6 AWD EPA rating is 19 city, 26 highway. One more reason I could not resist the V6...

Nothing wrong with pushrod engines, a big 'ol Buick LeSabre gets 29-30 highway with a 3.8 liter pushrod engine.
    For the record, my '04 Rendezvous was rated 19/26 mpg using the old "optimistic" EPA methods. I thought the 23/27 EPA rating for my '07 RAV4 AWD WAS using the new method. And, yes, that old 3.8 GM pushrod V6 is/was very efficient. My '02 Regal LS routinely topped 30mpg.
  • cbond1cbond1 Member Posts: 7
    Just got a 2007 Limited 2WD I4 with 11.5K. First tank- 315 miles/29.8mpg. Mostly in town, though not city. Some highway, about 40miles. Thought this wasn't bad since I'm coming off a 1995 Chevy Blazer with a V6 and getting about 18 at best.
  • jdwheezerjdwheezer Member Posts: 9
    My wife and I each have a Limited V6 4WD RAV. Hers is a '07, mine a '08. She has 17,000miles mine has 900. She was getting 22mpg in mixed driving and I was getting 20. We swapped cars and I am still getting 20 in hers. She is getting 22 driving my car. She is a more efficient driver. We live in west Houston and are hoping MPG improves once I10 construction is complete.
  • cbond1cbond1 Member Posts: 7
    Just got my 2007 Rav Limited 2wd I4 last month. Second tank of gas 264 miles/26.7 mpg. This is mostly suburban driving,under 60 mph no A/C.
    Very interesting information...confirms what I have always suspected about driving styles.
  • wuzzasailorwuzzasailor Member Posts: 19
    since winter has been here, my milage has tanked. Anybody else showing big drops in milage for cold weather and any fixes?
    You and your RAV4 are not alone - cold [below freezing] weather costs me about 3mpg as measured at fillup [miles divided by gallons]. '07 4cyl AWD.
  • nolidognolidog Member Posts: 4
    Agreed - Cold weather plus additives in Colorado gas for winter driving affects all autos. That's why I can't wait for spring ;-)
  • dave_cldave_cl Member Posts: 54
    on Tuesday. V6 2008 AWD 5AT Base with 3rd row (a joke!)
    I had to take it back Wednesday, when the Washer fluid wouldn't squirt. (It was about minus 15 Celsius overnight).
    Sure enough, someone (the Japanese, the service manager was quick to say) had added water to the bottle!
    I had to leave the RAV overnight so that it would thaw, and the dealership rented a car for me (2008 Camry - nice, but I wouldn't trade!). I got the phone call at 9:00 a.m. this morning, and picked up my RAV.
    Lovely! Everything worked!
    I'll put some kilometres/miles on it and then do some careful checking for gas consumption, before I post. My wife and daughter are taking a trip to the East coast in the summer, so the results of that should be interesting, although they will drive in Toronto, Montreal (shudder) and Quebec City.
    This is an excellent thread. Here's my two-cents: I've been driving since 1959, and I've always believed that the way you drive is the biggest factor in mpg.