Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    Nanuq:

The Defender has been a dream! We're heading up near Stevens Pass to the hot springs for some hiking tomorrow. Maybe I'll just have to get lost on the way home on some remote two-track :)

As with any Rover, it has it's quirks. But this is what makes it a Rover [are the new owners listening? :)]

The driver's seat squeaks constantly, one of the rear stabilizer bars that supports the jumpseats swings loosely and bangs against the hard bottom of the jumpseat, and the moonroof leaks (sorry Disco - you're in the driveway from now on and the Defender gets the top spot in the garage!). But you know what? This is what a Rover is supposed to be - rugged, utilitarian, and more charm than you can imagine.

It's got 63,000 miles on it. My wife and I were debating - garage it (drive 1-2x a week) or enjoy it. I'm leaning toward the latter! I'm not at the stage in my life where I can buy one and just sit on it without enjoying it, so I'll drive it in 2 days a week on hockey days, bike in 1-2 days, and take the disco in 1-2 days.

It's also in great shape. When they faxed me the VIN sheet, it was nearly flawless - only an oil-pump and valve gaskets replaced on it. Everything else was minor, like squeaks, fuses, bulbs, etc. over the past 4 years. Hell, after the 15 page VIN report on my Disco, I thought ALL used Rovers had long rap sheets! Not this one. Mechanics said it was one of the best they'd seen in quite some time.

Thanks and a good weekend to all! Get out there and enjoy those Rovers!

wasko
    Reading the June edition of Land Rover World and came across an interesting article on page 12. Article basically states that LR is ramping up it's WW production and hopes to be at 300,000 units a year by 2005. It said that they'll be hitting the US market bigtime with "Freelander, a new version of the Defender, and a solid rival to the popular American Jeep".

So, we know Freelanders are coming in Oct-Dec this year. Looks like they may launch the re-designed Defender in UK and US at the same time. Also interesting is this 'Jeep rival' - conjures up images of something rugged and smaller than the Defender. Any guesses?

Thanks - wasko
  • oceandwelleroceandweller Member Posts: 58
    You have a 1996 Disco too, right? Just out of curiosity, what month was yours built? Mine was 6/96 and it's rap sheet was only 2.5 pages long! Valves, and one oil pump, everything else was too minor to mention. So, to new rover owners out there: keep in mind that vehicles that are same year and model can vary greatly. I think I mentioned several posts up, that my mechanic and I had my disco and another '96 side by side and the differences were surprising!! Wasko, congrats on your lovely D90...hope she loves you as much as you love her!! -ocean
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Uh-ohhhh you're telling me my Disco describes me? All those scrapes down the side from skis, the (ahem) dings in the undercarriage, scrapes on the chassis, minor gouges here and there, gnarly and well-used with some apparent wear? WELL!!!!

*grin* You're right, of course. I think when you pick a Rover you're looking for something timeless that gives more than you ask of it.

Cheers everyone! Have a great weekend! -Bob
  • brandmarbrandmar Member Posts: 37
    Hi All-

I know I've seen it on this board before but am having trouble finding it. Could someone please re-explain how the Ford X-Plan works? And does anyone have access to this? I am seriously considering purchasing a DII by the end of the summer and would like to take advantage of the program. Also, if you use the X-Plan, can you still have the low financing, if available?

Any help would be appreciated.
  • megasuvownermegasuvowner Member Posts: 64
    Nice D90 wasko. Have you had a chance to go off-roading yet? are you even planning on going off-roading?

I had a 97 Defender 90 in AA yellow. I loved it. I only got to take it off road once, but it was great. about 6 months after i purchased it for around $44k from Land Rover of Rockville in Maryland. I was stopped by a dot-com rich kid who was in love with the D90. His problem was that by the time he started shopping, they were almost all gone and LR had announced that 97 would be last year for the D90. Anyways- the guy loved the AA yellow and the fact that it only had around 6k miles on it. He offered me $50k for the truck. I couldn't pass this offer up. So about two weeks later i sold it to him. Ive stayed in contact with him since and he still loves it as much as the day he got it. I wish i still had it, but i realized my garage is too full with 4 vehicles to take care of.
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    From what I understand (please correct me if I am wrong), there are only two conditions for the X-plan. You can't go over 1500 miles and there can't be $200 worth of damages to the car (can be $2000, I'm not sure of exact figure. I will check the fine print when I get the chance.) Other than that, you can exchange it for any reason. Of course this only applies to new lease or purchase and good for only 1 month. I posted a while back that I was contemplating exchanging mine for a different color but later decided against it (soooo petty, I apologize). Believe me though, once you get one it will be pretty tough to let go of it. I'm sure a lot of people here can vouch for that. It is so easy to fall in love with the car. Good luck on your purchase. The X-plan should take care of anything that's holding you back from buying one. It's some sort of insurance for buyer's remorse.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    is not the 30-day guarantee program, it is a discount purchasing program for Ford suppliers, Friends of Ford Employees and sponsored organizations like EAA. It is 104% of A-plan (Ford Employee) pricing. There are several threads in the Smart Shopper Topic that go into it.
    megasuvowner: yes, I have taken her offroad once two weekends ago (day after I bought it). It's incredible! This past weekend I found some extremely knarly terrain, but the wife was with me (she frowns upon using SUV's for offroading :) so I had to back down. I'll try to make it back this coming weekend and do some more tooling around.

Thanks - wasko
  • odiopusodiopus Member Posts: 47
    Has anyone purchased a Land Rover via the X-Plan? I plan on purchasing a Disco II SE7 w/ PPK this summer and want to know if purchasing the vehicle through the X-Plan is worth it. If you have and can offer any advise I'd like to hear from you.

Also, has anyone heard of any improvements for 2002 Disco?

Paul
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's another X-Plan discussion for you too:
    Ford Partner Program......(need some help)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Thanks Tincup47 and Steve. I'll go investigate those boards.
    Does anyone know if there are any incentives for the month of June and what they may be? I've checked the Land Rover Web site and it wasn't been updated.

Thanks
  • sanslinksanslink Member Posts: 11
    I have been following this message board for several weeks because I am considering purchasing a new discovery II (and am now convinced that I WILL be jumping in, head first!) I also live in Seattle and noticed that all the LR dealerships are owned by the same group. Have you had any experience with the dealerships, and if so, is there a specific person at either of the dealerships, or elsewhere, you recommend I deal with for my purchase? I understand they don't negotiate on price, but I would like to deal with someone who is at least honest and doesn't try to hide the fact that land rovers have their "quirks." Any advice would be appreciated!
    The best advice I could give anyone is to talk to Gord'n Perrot, he'll steer you toward a good dealer (but I'd bring it to HIM for service).

Regards, -Bob

Gord'n Perrot G&S Service SEA
    (206) 361-7002
  • schwarzstevenschwarzsteven Member Posts: 16
    Hey all... I'm in the process of purchasing a SE ACE under X-plan, and my dealer faxed me a document indicating that the LR price under X-plan is MSRP - $600 shipping x 1.04 + invoice. I think this is a good deal. Plus all accessories are .85 x MSRP.
    Hi everyone.

I'm going to pick up my 2001 black, SE ACE next weekend, and I have to let the dealer know whether I want the brush guard and tail light guards. Any suggestions?

I might be doing some off-roading (very rarely), so the guards will be primarily for cosmetic purposes. I can't decide if I like the appearance better with or without them - I think the car almost looks classier without...

?
    Some in-general thoughts you may not have heard yet: the brush guards are largely cosmetic; a parking lot "tap" may be enough to push the guard into your bodywork, causing a much more expensive dent. Also the taillight guards are known to catch tree branches as you pass by, and can be torn right out of the bodywork leaving nasty screw holes.

I agree, the truck looks much better "plain". If you need a real bar then look into ARB, etc. Those will truly protect your bodywork.

Regards, -Bob
  • shap1shap1 Member Posts: 77
    Math is not my strong suit, so I want to be sure I understand your formula since I will also be using the X-plan. Based on Edmunds' figures for an SE: $36,350(msrp)x.104= $3,780. $32,350(invoice)+ 3,780= $36,130.

Is that correct? I suspect not. I saw in a post in the early 400's that a loaded SD7 at msrp $38,975 came out to $35,478 with the X-plan.
    Sanslink:

I'd definitely follow Nanuq's advice as I just moved to WA in March so my experiences are somewhat limited out here.

For what it's worth though, I'll share my recent sales and service experiences.

Buying a LR is unlike most vehicle purchases - most dealerships are usually very low pressure and very helpful!

I happened into Land Rover Eastside for service on my vehicle and talked at length to one of the sales guides, Jeff Anschell. He is the one I purchased my Defender through.

As far as understanding the quirks of Rovers, Jeff was great. He mentioned that many Defenders don't get a really good air seal at highway speeds so you'll sometimes get a whistle. Cracking the opposite side window alleviates the whistle. I also made an off comment about the squeaking seat and he rolled up his sleeves and went to work on the seat himself. Wasn't a permanent fix, but I liked his effort :) Also, he claimed to have only on 1997 D90 original LR brochure left, and he let me have it with the vehicle! That was an extremely thoughtful gesture, as was the D90 hat and a Freelander cap for my wife (read past posts - we're a buncha Rover idiots!).

Also, for service - they seem to be pretty straight. I found out (the hard way) that my debit card only allows $600 'charges' per day. I had a $1000 service bill and they let me take the vehicle and drop a check by the next day - very nice of them and something they didn't really have to do.

Sales manager is Chip and I talked to him about xPlan (IF I do a new DII in the next 6 months) and he seemed very knowledgable about it.

So, even though my experiences are limited, if you're an East-sider, LR Eastside seems to be a pretty good crew.

Email me (stephen#wasko@hot#mail.com#) offline if you want any additional information. Just remove the # signs from the email address.

Thanks, wasko
    Well, I made a call to the dealer yesterday. As for incentives: the 5.9% financing for 60 months is good until July 2nd as in the lease deal for $399. This was a New England dealer. Just an FYI.
  • sanslinksanslink Member Posts: 11
    wasko & nanuq--Thanks so much for the helpful info! I've actually been into LR Eastside and I had the same impression--very helpful and low pressure. We'll most likely be buying in the next few months and I look forward to sharing our experiences with this knowledgeable group!
    I think you got it right. I have a fax from landrover NA right in front of me, showing the formula to be:

[(MSRP-$625freight) x 4%] + invoice.

Your dealer might not do it this way, which means you are lucky, but it is the official way...

BTW - this comes out to about $38,500 for a black SE with ACE, cold climate, brush guard...
    Actually, you miscalculated. The price would be:

.04 * (36,350-625) + 32,350 =

.04 * 35,725 + 32,350 =

1,429 + 32,350 =

Your price: $33,779 + tax/tags/title/accessories.
  • mikes23mikes23 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know how to reset, to off the amber check engine light. I spoke to dealer and they said their diagnostic computer was the only way to turn off the light after a fault. 96 discovery.

thanks
    With the advent of OBDII you do indeed have to use the dealer's laptop to reset the light. It may be that you have a LATE LATE LATE '95 (very early '96) and you may be in luck. There are two locations to check: passenger footwell, inside the plastic bulkhead are many solenoids and such. Look for a smallish, square (some are brown) box with a "Land Rover" oval sticker over the center. If the box is not there, look under the passenger seat. If you find this box, gently poke a straightened paper clip thru the center of the sticker (it covers a hole) and that shorts two contacts together, resetting the light.

If you have to take it to the dealer, bring along a case of nice ale and talk to the mechanic on his lunch break... see if he'll reset it for you, and give him a nice gift as thanks.

If the "check engine" is set again, you better have it looked at. You can set a code with such simple things as water in the gas and resultant extended misfiring.

Regards, -Bob
    OBDll does not have to be reset by the laptop. A scan tool is all that is required. Federal regulations require this.
    Will any scan tool reset all stored codes? There's been many long discussions about this on the other boards and it does smell of extortion, if indeed one needs the laptop to reset them.
    They are supposed too. Like I said this is a federal requirement on OBDII. Had this confirmed on our technical assistance line. I would still recommend that they find out what the code means and have it repaired, not just clear the code and forget it.
    Thanks for the info, I recently changed spark plugs,wires, air filter and the fault code originally was for a mis-fire. I believe it will not reset itself to continue with my trouble-shooting. Thanks
    What are the symptoms you're chasing with all the parts replacement? I had much electrical weirdness and found a very simple solution... for MY weirdness. All seem to be unique.
  • trifivenomadtrifivenomad Member Posts: 19
    The Land Rover website describes the DII permanent 4-wheel drive system as operating with open differentials at the front, rear and center with no locking differentials in any location.

According to the LR website, electronic traction control applies the brakes to the wheel/wheels that is/are slipping.

That's okay at a slippery Walmart parking lot, but what if I'm charging up a muddy hillside and the traction control starts applying the brakes. Would locking differentials not be better? Or at least limited-slip differentials in the axles.

Am I reading the description correctly?
    nanuq, thks , the original problem was the engine light going on and the code indicated cylander 4 had a mis-fire. I have no loss of power or any other kind of symptoms. It may be I had some bad gasoline, but the plugs, wires and air cleaner needed updateing. I have also added some LR fuel treatment additive, the LR dealer said a sticky Xhaust valve could also be the cause.Since the light stays on till reset I wanted to turn off (reset) as a way to tell if i fixed the problem.
    It sounds like you're doing everything exactly right. Sticking exhaust valves started in '96 with the 4.0 and GEMS, and are solved with "carbon cutting" valves. These simply have a sharp square shoulder on the valve stem to prevent gum buildup within the guide. Mine had the sticky valves and as it got worse there was a noticeable loss of power. If you're affected in only one cylinder then yeah... keep looking elsewhere.

Good luck! -Bob
    Yep... open diffs all around. The traction control system applies brakes to the wheel that slips and that sends torque across the diff to the other wheel on the same axle. It works well but it's a bit slow to respond.

The series I Disco has a central diff lock operated by the same lever that selects high and low range. My understanding is the DII has central locking capability but there is no linkage to the cabin. It is not a viscous coupled transfer case, so apparently the traction control system is thought to be sufficient to replace that need.

LSDs would be nice, but are squirrely on ice. True lockers are great, but break halfshafts. Since 90-some% of these trucks don't go offroad Land Rover probably figured we'd add it later when we needed it.

Look for "Quaife", "Tru-Trak" and "ARB" for more goodies.

Regards, -Bob
    The Traction control may be a bit slow, but it does work very well. I have driven the D90, Discovery II and Range Rover in very muddy conditions up and down 35 degree hills, and all were able to make it up the hills. The Discovery was actually the easiest on the downhill side with Hill Descent Control, which also works in reverse which is handy for the inevitable failed ascent. We use stock Discoverys for Trek, which is our competition for Land Rover NA Dealers.
  • abatteabatte Member Posts: 5
    I am a Jeep owner and have been for years, I have both a Wrangler and Cherokee. I drove a Discovery at an off-road event a few weeks ago and loved it. I am now planing on selling one of the Jeeps and picking up a Disco Series 1. What do I need to know? I'm looking at 1996's, are there any common problems to look for, are there any quirks that I should know about? What's the deal with the diffs, are there stock lockers? How does the 4L V8 perform, is there enough power for the Colorado high country? I appreciate any help and advice anybody has to offer.
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Are you keeping the Wrangler or the Cherokee? I've been looking at Discos for a long time now, and have recently decided to buy a Wrangler as a second car. I'll get a Discovery when the 2003's come out. Just curious about which car your Disco is going to replace!
  • abatteabatte Member Posts: 5
    I'm selling the Wrangler. I hate to do it though; it has been a great vehicle. But, I have a new baby and need something that can do double duty, family cruiser and back country explorer. I do highly recommend the Wrangler, I have a 95 YJ, I've had it for 4 years and just made a deal to sell it yesterday for only $800 less than I bought it for in 98. How many vehicles can you get that kind of depreciation rate from, I'm guessing probably not the Disco I'm planning to buy.

For your Wrangler shopping, I would recommend 97 and newer, the TJ. This is the new body style, but rather than leaf spring suspension you get a coil suspension, you get all of the off road prowess and a much improved on road ride. And, if you look hard enough you can find one with the Dana 44 rear axle which was an option on the TJ's. And definitely, definitely, get the 4L 6 cylinder engine, I have the 4 cylinder and although there is plenty of power off road, highway travel is sometimes a challenge. Good Luck.
  • donelonpcdonelonpc Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 Disco II. This past winter crusing down the highway (my first winter) I kept getting chilled with a breeze on my leg. I could not figure out where it was coming from. Finally, I noticed that the where the door handle is on the inside of the door, a breeze comes from around the handle casing. I don't think this is normal. Should the dealer check it out and see if the folks in GB forgot to put in some insallation?
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Well, I bought a '98 Range Rover 4.6 in Jan. with 30K miles & a very clean service history; with all dealer service records indicating no real problems. In the last month I have had it back to the dealer 5 times for various (mainly electrical) problems.... every time I get it back maybe one of the problems is fixed but there are at least one or 2 new problems. This has become a 2nd job for me, dealing with this vehicle. And this is reputably one of the better LR dealers.

To those of you contemplating purchasing a Land Rover, I wish you luck. And of course, Discos are not quite as complex as RR's so maybe that will be in your favor. What the service people finally tell you to, after you've spent many many afternoons in their waiting room, is to tell you that LR's are "quirky".

The waiting room at "my" LR dealer is quite nice, with gourmet coffees, a receptionist handing out flowers, etc. What they really should have is a Bar, filled with Absolute, Jameson, etc. because that's what you may finally require to put up with your "quirky" LR.

Today for instance, I spent all afternoon at the dealer (yet again)... took it in to have the computer code reset......& the AC looked at. They literally brought out the vehicle 3 times, handed me the key, gave me the "rap", & each time I went to leave something else was wrong with it. Finally, I left, with the stereo not working (a new problem!), with them assuring me that it would be OK (?) I'm now wondering if the dealer can ever get everything on it working long enough (at the same time, no less) in order for me to sell it??? I drive past the BMW, Toyota, & Acura dealers on my way home from the LR dealer, but there are always still so many things wrong with my Range Rover I'm afraid to try to trade it in in that condition.

This is not fun...... LR's look great, they have a mystique, yuppie cachet, & all that, but (esp.if you don't intend to take it off road) is it worth it? I've had more trouble with this thing in 6 months than I've ever had with my 12 y.o BMW, or had with my 1990 Saab in 8 years, (not a car with a great reliability record itself).

Anyway, thanks for listening to me rant, I would just caution prospective LR owners to ask yourselves how you're gonna feel if your vehicle does turn out to be a service nightmare. BTW, this board is great, I've gotten great advice in the past, from Nanuq (re: snow tires, etc), & others.

Peace
  • smokymansmokyman Member Posts: 12
    I am shopping for a used disco and have only found 1 standard shift. Have been told they stopped importing them in 97' anyone with one note any particular problems? Why no standards in the US?
    Standard transmissions are quite rare in NA spec Discoverys. Sales were stopped due to lack of demand.
    What dealer is it? Has there tech called the LR Dealer support tech hotline? If you post the last 8 numbers of your vin I can check the logs to see what may have been reported if they did.
  • rchacon1rchacon1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm also thinking about buying a 5-speed standard discovery. Does anyone know if they're more difficut (or expensive) to maintain and service than automatics? What's their record for reliability?
  • jmkehrerjmkehrer Member Posts: 2
    Hey there...

I'm looking at a 95 Discovery with 92,xxxmi on it. What should I look for when I head in to test drive it? Any common problems? Warning signs? Thanks in advance...
    Disco automatic transmissions are made by ZF, it's the same trans that's spec'd into the high end Mercedes. L-R recently issued a notice that the service requirements are altered for the ZF; there's a 30k mile service, then NO additional service for the life of the vehicle other than fluid changes. The ZF is known to be bullet-proof.

Many people can't imagine an automatic for true offroading, but in low range the ZF is very abrupt and very solidly locked up. It crawls just like a manual but you won't fry a clutch and you have that good control over traction with the long-travel throttle.
  • oceandwelleroceandweller Member Posts: 58
    I would agree with Nanuq, it works well for off-roading, and when your in tight spots you probably will be happy you don't have a stick. Also, one of my mechanics has a 1995 Disco that's a manual and he had a very hard time finding the parts he needed for tranny work.
    One very bizarre thing that most here probably (hopefully) will never experience: I've buried my Disco up to the headlights in snow and had to dig out. When you go quickly from forward to reverse to get that back-and-forth rocking going, it's easy to over-do the throttle and spin all 4 tires. Then when you shift D - R - D it makes BAD sounds. So reasonably, you use the brakes to quickly stop the tires for the fast shift... and the ABS takes over, preventing you from immediately stopping the drivetrain! It's the strangest feeling, but it's there. Times like that I wish there were an override for the ABS.

Yes, you CAN use the parking brake to stop the drivetrain but you're risking your transfer case so it's a good idea not to.

Happy Rovering! -Bob
    I was heading out for some mtn biking, there were 4 of us in Anuqa, all our riding gear and packs, and 4 mtn bikes: 2 inside and 2 on the rack behind. Driving south we came upon a friend broken down by the road, his wheel had come off (on a Ford van, not a Rover). So we went back, and wound up loading up his 3 boys and all their camping gear from a 4-day outing, and put all 4 mtn bikes on the rack. We headed back to town with 7 people, 3 huge packs, 4 helmets, 4 day packs, water bottles and snacks, and 4 mtn bikes... and the Rover felt just fine... no complaints, no funny handling, no wandering. Everyone got home fine, and the Rover dealt with it effortlessly. Then the jump seats folded back up, we aired out the stink from their 4 days of camping, and we went our merry way.

What a versatile truck!