Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic 2006-2007 Issues

Comments

• Options
    ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    Does anyone know of the availability of an aftermarket part or modification to the e-brake lever on the current model civic? I really like the car except for one issue--- I have long legs and my right knee ends resting on the e-brake lever, which is uncomfortable. If the e-brake lever handle was lower and or smaller, it wouldn't be a problem. I've checked with the parts department of a couple Honda dealers to see if Honda makes a smaller profile handle and they say none is available. Thanks.
  • Options
    kero1kero1 Member Posts: 154
    Hi,

This has been a complaint for people since the new model went on sale.

I am 6FT and luckily, this design does not bother me. As or right now, I am pretty sure there is not aftermarket part for the E-brake.

The E-brake is part of the cars safety feature and I doubt a replacement will ever become available.
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Unlikely to see someone making a replacement handle.

Is it possible to find a piece of pipe insulation at an homecenter, slice it lengthwise and cutoff at the right length, and then just slip over the handle. That way your leg will be cushioned, as it rests against it.

Or maybe a kid's swimming noodle........
  • Options
    tjs01tjs01 Member Posts: 34
    After having two right front motor mounts and a new strut installed on my 2006 EX last year, the dreaded clunk from the right front end showed up again this spring. I called Honda and my vehicle is at the dealer. The dealer diagnosed it as bad right motor mount. After talking with Honda Tech the decision was made to replace all four motor mounts under the theory that one or more of the other mounts is bad and is placing undue stress on the right front one.

I don't know much about cars, so does this sound reasonable or is Honda grasping at straws? Is this the type of repair that could lead to other problems?

I believe if this fails I will be able to invoke the Lemon Law in Michigan.
  • Options
    kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    tjs01, may I ask when and where your car was built? Thanks.
  • Options
    carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    I noticed today for the first time. Seat belts fastened, etc. A single "beep" then nothing. About 45 seconds later another "beep". No warning indicator lights on. Nothing, just the beep. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this?
  • Options
    It was built in Ohio. I took delivery right after the car arrived at the dealer in late April of 2006.
  • Options
    I had my mount replaced 4-5 months ago. Thus far, no dreaded clunk has returned.

It's very possible that you never actually received the revised motor mount and they just replaced the bad ones with original fualty ones which I have heard has happened many times already.

I have tested mine on the same roads that caused the clunk to begin with.

After posting my results on 8thgencivc board, I found out I probably was one of the first people to actually received one of the revised correct mounts.

Make sure when you car gets fixed, you request they make sure the revised right mount gets put in your car, not an original faulty replacement.
  • Options
    A Honda field engineer inspected the vehicle after the second replacement motor mount was installed. He indicated it was the correct version was installed.
  • Options
    barrettheadbarretthead Member Posts: 28
    2007 civic si sedan, brand new, makes clunking or knocking noise when driven at low to medium speeds over bumps or dips. safety components all check out, noise still persists, honda says nothing they can do. very displeased with honda, might be my last honda
  • Options
    vvileyvviley Member Posts: 46
    Is it that much of an issue? I hear the same noise and on average, it's less than once per trip. Actually, I think it only happens to me the first time I drive it that day. I've just accepted that the stiffer suspension has some extra "effects" that don't exist in more civilized rides. In short, I wouldn't think that your car is broken - it's like the squeaking you get from truck suspensions - it's something that you just have to learn to live with.

From a pure physics standpoint, the extra shock that occurs from a higher spring rate and/or higher damping rates will product a more jarring effect, causing shear and compressive vibrations through the car materials - unless the car is further engineered (aka heavier, tuned, damped, and/or generally more expensive) to reduce the possibility for the extra noise.

If a quiet, yet respectably quick ride is more your thing, I'd investigate a Toyota-brand car.

Note: This is all just my opinion (except the physics part), so take it as you will.
  • Options
    tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    I have to agree with wiley on this issue. I've had my Si sedan for a little over a week and have heard the sound you're speaking of and I just figured it had to do with the suspension setup; however, it does not effect the driveablity of the car, nor does it happen that often (I've heard it maybe 3 or 4 times).
    So, again there is nothing "wrong" with your car, it's just the price you pay for a more stiff/sportier Civic. I hope this makes you at least feel better knowing that others are hearing the same noise.
  • Options
    will26will26 Member Posts: 62
    My EX does the same thing. It almost sounds like the clunking is coming from the rear and so I thought maybe the trunk needed some weight added to it. My BF told me NO WAY, and said that the stiffer suspention will make the car feel like it does. Also someone else told me that the springs haven't had a chance to be broken in yet. I'm not too worried...
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    So, it appears that Honda STILL hasen't sorted out their shock/strut supplier problems. I have a 2006 Civic EX sedan purchased in Nov 2005 and it had leaking rear shocks from mile 4 (the mileage when I picked the car up). It made a right rear suspension noise on the drive home. Finally about 5 months later the noise was obnoxious so I took it to the dealer where inspection found BOTH rear shocks were leaking and the right side was dry. They were replaced under warranty but that isn't the point. Also, springs don't have to be broken in nor does the suspension design (stiffer? which it isn't)has no impact on noise or the lack of. Have the shocks checked and replaced if leaking at all.
  • Options
    So, you are willing to accept a clunky noisy suspension simply because you believe the Si has a revised or stiffer suspension and that is the way they operate? If a suspension set up makes an abnormal noise (clunking..or whatever) it is either A.) faulty in some way or B.) not well designed or assembled. A sport or handling suspension does not automatically have noises (think BMW) unless possibly it is a back yard installed aftermarket set-up. This is the same generalization you make with regard to trucks i.e. all are squeaky but that isn't necessarily so. If I paid a premium price for a small vehicle as you and others did for the Si (or any Civic for that matter) I wouldn't tolerate abnormal noises as "normal"..
  • Options
    vvileyvviley Member Posts: 46
    Part of the problem may be the gross majority of the frame styles for the new Si's is based off the standard civic frame - one not subject to the rigors of 'performance tuning.'

Unlike BMW's that are engineered for performance across all their cars, Honda merely upgraded certain (albeit important) components to create the Si. While their drivetrain may be sound, some other components may appear to be "under-engineered" leading to people interpreting these issues as problems.

And personally, I'm not sure I'd call it a $2k price difference over the EX a premium, considering how much stuff you're getting for $2k (semi-limited production, engine, suspension, seats, rims, etc.).

So while I don't think this necessarily justifies any noises that I might encounter, I'm willing to live with it - especially if Honda doesn't have a fix on the books.
  • Options
    I know what you mean about "They were replaced under warranty but that isn't the point". One shouldn't have to deal with these types of things on a brand new car, especially something so obvious. I think I will call my dealer as now I am a little worried. I don't want a clunky car. I should say it doesn't sound terrible it just feels like when I go over a bump the rear axle is not smooth(compared to the front). It kind of feels like the rear end wants to skip a little bit, that's why I thought maybe it needed a little weight added to the trunk. (if that makes any sense). It's hard to describe.
  • Options
    xyhxyh Member Posts: 3
    :cry: Hi, am a new driver and only own the car for less than a year. I got several small scratches in the front and back bumper, and reprinted them myself using touch-up paint. However the color is a little off from the whole body..... especially the front bumper with a rather larger area...now i am thinking to take it to a body shop to respray those areas....wondering how much would that cost? Can the body shop do the area sprays? Many thanks!!
  • Options
    I'm not sure if this is the same thing as your "clunk", but my 2002 Civic EX coupe also went over parking lot bumps and the back end bounced more than the front and sort of clunked down. Others at the time had been complaining about it, but since nothing seemed wrong I figured it was normal for the car. 3 years later I found drips of oil on the garage floor and took it into the dealer. They said the front struts were leaking and replaced them. I'm just hoping this new EX coupe will give me 3 years before it happens again, but I'll be watching for the oil leak. Also, I guess all the coupes are built in Canada? I was hoping to get one built in Ohio. I love this car, it's so much fun to drive and feels very sturdy and secure. After 2 weeks of driving on not greatly maintained small town roads there are no rattles and the interior seems very well thought out and not cheap. As for the head rest, I've been able to adjust my seat and the steering wheel to the point where my head barely touches it. I know this has been a bone of contention with others.
  • Options
    kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    several 100 bucks is my guess. It will have to be sanded to smooth the scratch, primed, painted and clearcoated.
  • Options
    carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    My last car, a 2003 Altima started making "clunking" noises over the front right side on uneven pavement. It turned out to be the struts. Had to have them replaced, TWICE! If they said they can't find anything wrong, it probably is nothing. But if it gets worse, I would bring it back.
  • Options
    medcatmedcat Member Posts: 9
    Here is a question, can a 6'4 person sit comfortably in the driver's seat ?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Since body shapes vary so much, one's 6'4" is not someone else's 6'4". Might be good to go down to your local Honda dealer and do a sit test and test drive to make sure YOU fit comfortably.
  • Options
    I agree, going to do that this evening. One last civic question. Can you get Xm radio w/o the dvd navigation?
  • Options
    drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    Sure, the Xm is a dealer installed accessory, but only the EX comes factory ready for it. By factory ready, it just means the wiring harness is installed, not the sat. receiver. But you can get a non-Navi EX and have the dealer install the Xm unit.

Or get a portable sat receiver and plug it into the AUX jack in the dash.
  • Options
    drmbb, is that really all you have to do? Buy the unit at say WalMart and then plug it in? Do you have to have an antenna or does it use your cars antenna? I thought it was harder than that. Does anyone know what the dealer charges for this?
  • Options
    The built in unit is much more then that. I saw the installation instructions for that, and you will definitely want the dealer to do that on a brand new car (the receiver goes in the front passenger side wheel well, right near the base of the door hinge mounts, and connecting to the dash wiring harness is a very involved disassembly process).

But any standalone, portable personal sat radio unit can also just be plugged into the AUX port just as you would any portable radio or mp3 device with a standard headphone jack. You just need a cable with a standard minijack male connectors on each end - one end goes in the portable sat radio's headphone minijack jack, the other end into the Civic's AUX port. Just look at the portable units at xmradio.com.

P.S. Honda's web site says the built in receiver is $350.00, plus the labour charges by your dealer - and I gather it is a several hour long job to install.
  • Options
    I went to the dealer today, cleared up some questions I had. It set really well IMO. Thanks for all the help.
  • Options
    drmbb, thank you.
  • Options
    I read somewhere that you can get an EX-L civic for the 08 model. I truly hope it has automatic climate control. I'm basically waiting to see that one before I get one. I was thoroughly impressed with the current civic
  • Options
    Ohh here is my last question, how is the civic's noise level at highway cruising speeds ? Like compared to an 03 camry that my parents have ? I didn't get to test the civic out on the highway, which I should have.
  • Options
    I've had my EX coupe for a little over 2 weeks now and I've driven it at 75 MPH. I really believe it's quieter than my 2002 EX coupe and if it's noisy...well, it hasn't bothered me. It's a small car, not a Cadalac, so it's going to be bumpier and noisier. It's so much fun to drive and so cute. I love it. Try to test drive it at speed if you can before signing on the dotted line. :)
  • Options
    I have a 06 LX with a little over 13K on it.

One thing that has always annoyed me (not to much though) is the pronounced amount of roise noise at most speeds. I believe the civics don't have much sound proofing.

I also think it depends on the tires. The eagle RS-A's that came with my civic so far have performed and worn very well but on the highway, they are very loud.

Once they have reached they life span, I will replace them with a lower noise tire such as the bridgestones turanza's that my friends has on his accord. They are great tires and also very quiet
  • Options
    Unless things have changed between 2006 and 07 the wiring harness isn't even factory installed but comes with the XM installation kit. I really, really wanted XM until I researched just how much work (read disassembly/reassembly of interior parts and trim) was required. I don't need half of the interior and dash torn out only to introduce new squeaks rattles and creaks upon reassembly so I passed.
  • Options
    I think the bus cable is installed in the EX model, but I'm not sure.

The "process" is described here (it IS a lot of panel clips to remove!):

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/07xm.pdf
  • Options
    After skimming the installation instructions for the 07 XM it IS different from the 2006 version. It appears much simplified. In the 2006 kit the XM receiver was installed in the trunk along the right or passenger side with removal of the panel...running the cable (harness) from rear to front along the roof line, down the A pillar, behind the dash etc. All the trim from rear to front needed to be removed/installed, the dash in part also. Just too much margin for introducing problems. By the way the harness is included but NOT factory installed in the 07 version.
  • Options
    kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    noise is very, very dependent on tires and road conditions. Aggressive/performance tread or longer-life/harder tires make more noise.
  • Options
    cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    What does automatic climate control do that you can't? I've always hated automatic climate control in every vehicle that isn't GM, as it never seems to do a very good job at actually keeping me comfortable, especially in Winter, when it is either too hot or too cold.
  • Options
    The Bridgestone Turanza tires that came on my EX seem to be comparable to the Michelin Pilot Exalto I'm interested in for Ride and Noise according to Consumer Reports. Not good however in dry and wet braking which to me is reason enough to get new tires. They are however better in ice braking. My 1982 Accord came with Michelins, but it was built in Japan, not Canada or the U.S. Don't know if that made a difference in ride and noise...too long ago.
  • Options
    Looking back at this reply, I must have been drunk when I wrote it. I do know how to spell Cadillac. LOL.
  • Options
    Anyone have this problem? Last night while driving home from work in a very heavy rain storm I noticed that the passenger door had water on the inside. I've taken it through car washes before and never had this happen but I drive 20 miles home and it was pouring the whole way so maybe that was a factor. When I got home by BF took a piece of paper and shut the door on it and the paper slid right out. He did it to the drivers side and it wouldn't budge. He said he could fix it (just a few bolts to loosen and move the door) but I'd rather make Honda do it just in case. So I will be taking it in......................again. And yes, like my Dad asked me. The window was all the way up:)
  • Options
    DO NOT let anyone other than your dealers service personel try to adjust the door. It may look easy but try holding a several hundred pound door while simultainously (sp?) adjusting it...trying fit...and retightening bolts while maintaining fit. Additionally, it may not be the door adjustment (it probably isn't ) but may be an issue with the rubber weather strip.
  • Options
    My Bf and his dad own a body shop so I'm not worried in having him do the work. They have done it before and they could do it after work or on the weekend. I just didn't want to take it to the dealer for the second time in the 1st month that I've owned it. I work so that means making arrangements on getting to my job and back, which is so annoying. I decided though, to take it in to Honda anyway just to have it on record. It's there today so we'll see what happens. I sold my VW and bought this car so I wouldn't have to be in the shop all the time. This better be the last!!! Ugh.
  • Options
    editor2editor2 Member Posts: 64
    I seriously doubt you'll have this or any Honda in the shop
    all the time. This leak sounds specific to your car, not typical at all.
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    probably because the door was 'adjusted' before
  • Options
    Many Honda civic owners have reported misaligned doors. If your door is misaligned in the right way, it would possibly result in water leaks.
  • Options
    I got my car back and they had to move the front and rear passenger doors in a little bit. Somebody must've been sleeping on that side on the assembly line that day. Haha.
  • Options
    Many civic assembled out of Canada have or had misaligned doors.

My 06 LX sedan, the driver side rear door is just slightly misaligned and when you look in the side mirror from the drivers seat you can see where the door does not line up. Does not result in any leaks, just an annoyance.

I have seen photos of doors so misaligned you would not believe it.
  • Options
    gene2gene2 Member Posts: 10
    It cost me $95.00, but it was worth every penny - I replaced my Civic headrest with an Accord headrest. The Accord headrest fits perfectly in the Civic seat, and the Accord headrest angle is much less severe than the Civic's. I now have a usable Civic seat.
  • Options
    It may be more comfortable but since the engineers at Honda went to a great deal of time, trouble and testing to devise those Civic active head restraints to help prevent whiplash in a rear ender you negated maybe a few million bucks worth of research for....$95.00?! More importantly those Accord headrests have been designed to work in what? an Accord. I hope you never have the occasion to really see if "they were worth every penny".