Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• don4341don4341 Member Posts: 69
    I think that the word " Emergency " Brake does not exist in any of the GM or Chevy Owners Manuals. These are only parking brakes! Not intended to stop a moving car in a emergency condition. I do agree that your parking brake seems to be out of adjustment. Any time that the parking brake pedal goes to the floor is wrong.
    Irv. for Don.
  • larry91larry91 Member Posts: 189
    My parking brake petal goes waaaaaaaay down, i don't know if it is right, but i suspect that is how they are supposed to operate. Perhaps if it were a pull type brake handle it could be made to "feel" more secure.
    To nyyukon: My seat belt does the same thing, it is annoying.
    Watch for this: I noticed, during a routine cleaning of the rear drivers side door panel, it felt loose. Took it to the dealer and after inspection found hair line cracks in the unit, they ordered a new panel. That is a prime example of GM quality control..
  • andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    Mine was adjusted and it still did not hold the vehicle at all. They ended up replacing the partking brake shoes and mechinism in both rear wheels. Now it works properly.
  • windsurfdxlwindsurfdxl Member Posts: 4
    Been monitoring this site for the past month & I would like to thank everybody for your thoughts/comments. My wife & I finally purchased our 2001 DXL 2 weeks ago & are thrilled with it so far. I have two questions/comments:

1) Tire chains ... Live in Southern California & like to ski (ski resorts 2 hours away). Anyway, I have noticed in years past that when it starts snowing hard, highway patrol does not let anybody past checkpoints without chains/cables INSTALLED on their car... According to the owners manual, chains/cables are a no-no. Any suggestions?

2) Overall, I was satisfied with my buying experience. ONE THING HOWEVER... I have a feeling I got jacked on the extended waranty. Opted for the 6/75 & was charged $2100. In hindsight, probably wouldn't of done it, but got caught up in the moment. I have a feeling I'm asking for the obvious, but anybody feel I got totally ripped off, or are there other similar experiences out there.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Chris
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome to the Town Hall, windsurfdxl! When you're not out driving your new pride and joy, we expect to hear all about your experiences!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    There is a time frame for cancelling the extended warranty for a full refund. I would. And if you're really interested in getting one, I'd suggest you shop around and check Major Guard as it's offered by GM. You will probably find a better deal elsewhere.
  • lalanelalane Member Posts: 39
    Wow, that's price is a bit extreme. I got 7yr/100K for $940. I shopped around thru my credit union, GMC, on-line and found the best price thru the broker (Autoland) I purchased my '01 DXL. I'd suggest you do the same.
    I was told by the dealer that prolong use of the heavy gage chain linked tire chains are not recommended, however, when necessary, the "cable" style tire chains are preferred. I live in So. Cal. and the only snow we see is when we make our annual trips to Mammoth, I will be sure to have it in the DXL. What are you going to do??
    Wow, I wasn't aware there is the possibility of cancelling the extended warranty for a refund. Does anybody have any ideas of what the time statute is? We bought the beast on 10/21.

As for the tire chains, I've already resigned myself to cables rather than chains. I found a manufacturer - Shur Grip Z - who seem to put out a decent product. Does anybody have any experience with these cables? ... Or anticipate a problem on the DXL?

Oh yeah ... lalane ... I usually head to Mammoth once a year also. I make more frequent trips to Big Bear & the local highway patrol get totally freaked out at the first sign of snow flurries. Way too many people in Southern California who don't have a clue how to drive in the snow.

Thanks!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Try checking the fine print on your extended warranty contract. You should find it there. When you think about it, you really haven't used it. I'd figure the sooner you act on it the better your chances of a full refund.
  • andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    I believe you have 90 days to cancel. GM raises their warranty prices as soon as the vehicle is delivered. So, new vs 1000 miles may make a difference on warranty cost.

7 year/100,000 miles is not available from GM.

I purchased a Chrysler extended warranty on my DXL. I was too concerned to go for a 3rd party warranty and the GM warranty was almost 2x the price. I bought mine for $100 over dealer cost.
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    windsurfdxl: I bought a 2001 DXL and also got the GM Major Guard 6/75 w/ a $100 ded. extended warranty. I believe I paid about $1500 back in Feb of this year.
    Tires for the snow in the mountains of southern ca.. try a good set of snow tires or if legal and if they are still manufactured, studded snow tires.

And , yes, sorry to say, u did get jacked badly on the extended warranty
    Looked into the warranty thing & the fine print says I have 60 days to get a refund - which I'll probably do. Before I get a refund I'm going to shop around & try to find the best deal & possibly negotiate with GM from there (which I should of done in the first place).

Thank's for the advice everybody!
    I am really wondering if the extended warranty is necessary on the new breed of SUV's. I had an 1999 Tahoe for three years and 45M miles and do not have any problems of major proportions. If u think about it, the extended warranty does not really give u that much more protection as part of this warranty term is the 3 years which is covered by the normal warranty. The math involved makes the extended warranty quite costly to the car owner and a great profit center for the Warranty Company
  • dandeldandel Member Posts: 7
    Expanding on Larry91's comments, the universal opinion among consumer experts is that extended warranties are a rip-off. My approach is that I NEVER buy an extended warranty. If a repair expense on a given item is greater than what I would have paid for the extended warranty, I figure the money saved by not paying for all of the other extended warranties will cover it. In the last 20 years, I broke my own rule once by buying an extended warranty on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Jeep turned out to be great and whenever I tried to use the warranty, there was always some loophole. 700 bucks (I being told what a great deal I was getting) went down the drain.
    I did take the extended warranty on my Denali, I have only had it 7 months and have been annoyed by lots of little pesty problems. I attribute this to the lack of quality control at GM, or the disinterest of their production workers.
    I have decided this is the last extended warranty i am going to buy. As i mentioned, I had a 99 Tahoe and gave it to my daughter with 45,000 miles on the odo and never had a major Extended Warranty type problem. Hopefully, I will be that lucky with the Denali.

U mentioned the Jeep, I had a 1993 Grand Cherokee V8 and thankfully I did have an extended warranty. I had so much trouble with that vehicle, I fiqured out that the CAR RENTALS provided with the warranty, MORE than payed for the Warranty itself in the 5 1/2 years and 75000 miles I owned the thing.
    Good Luck
  • cednsancednsan Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone...just purchased a 2002 Garnet Red Denali a couple of days ago (standard not the XL). After being completely confused by the sales and parts managers of two dealerships, and since my monitoring of this site helped with my purchase decision, I have the following questions:

1) Does the Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon cargo shade fit in the back of the standard Denali. The Denali has cutouts in the rear, but the dealerships only show a part number for the XL shade. I also tried to install the cargo shade from friends 2002 XL, but it was too wide. Or does anyone know of an aftermarket shade?

2) Has anyone installed a NAV system? I am researching the Alpine DVD-based system but am wondering how it would integrate with the CD Changer and rear audio controls. (BTW, I have used OnStar in my previous car and my wife's vehicle has a Nav Sys. In terms of trip routing, traffic avoidance, and finding restaurants, the Nav is much more convenient. Anyway I like gadgets.

Also, on the extended warranty, a really good friend of mine (an ex-GMC Dealership Finance manager) told me that the dealer's costs for the extended warranty ranges from $195 to 395.

-Thanks
    I was motivated to get the extended GM warranty for my 2001 DXL because the transmission was a new design. The AWD is an entirely new design for GM. For the most part all of the other major components on the DXL have been proven in previous models years of piuckups and subs.

Unfortunately a first year drivetrain (as the DXL's is) for any manufacturer has some risk. Given the very expensive nature of the drivetrain and the fact that I tow, the exteneded warratny seemed like a good investment. I will sleep just find and feel as though I got my value out of the warranty even if I never have to use it.
  • bowtie5bowtie5 Member Posts: 4
    My neighbor was taking me for a ride in his brand new 2002 Denali XL when several times the transmission would slip and then subsequently lock. After locking briefly, the vehicle would then go. Needless to say, my neighbor is taking it immediately back to the dealership. As I too am in the market for a new full-size SUV: anyone else had this happen?
  • dandeldandel Member Posts: 7
    Question for Windsurfdxl: Did you get those cables and if so, how did they work? I found the "Super Z LT" cables, which appear to be the truck version of the Shur-Grips. The size indicated for 265/70-17 tires didn't fit (too small) and the inside cable would foul on the parking brake cable. I took the truck up to the Sierras yesterday and it ran great with the 4wd and the M+S tires. It was snowing and we watched a couple of vehicles slide off the road. Sure had problems defrosting the windows, though. Has anyone found a solution for the chain/cable problem?
    The mountains in California are sure getting dumped on lately (with more snow to come), but I don't plan on heading into the snow until mid-January. Therefore, I haven't bought the tire chains/cables yet. Not quite sure what I'm going to do yet.

Thanks for the data point about those cables not fitting.
    I was at a stop light the other day and noticed a car getting a smog test. But I noticed that in both bays, they only had a single roller. Anyone know how this is accomplished on the AWD YDXL???
    Yes, I had the tranny lock up on me a few times.
    The dealer thought it could be low transmission fluid. Brought it in and had a service done and have not had the problem since. One of the mysterious of life i guess.
    thanx for the info...maybe my neighbor's transmission problem is a passing fancy as well...but it certainly was scary (not to mention dangerous) when it happened. He also had some paint rubbing problems that others have alluded to in earlier posts. I think the dealership will take care of his paint, but has anyone else had feedback from the dealers on this issue?
    Yea, once again, sorry to say, I also had problems with the paint rubbing on the inside bottom of the back door. The dealer adjusted the door and repainted a little of the door. Seems to be okay. I am getting the rear passengers door trim panel replaced, seems it has hair line cracks that cause it to rattle..

Due to the Poor Quality Control at GM, we are plaqued with fit and finish problems ( using the word Poor is an understatement)
    I hate to say this, but if Toyota offered a vehicle the size of the Yukon XL I would certainly buy it over the GM vehicle...It's not very optimistic, when u get in the vehicle and wonder " What's going to happen next" In my humble opinion, the American Auto Manf have lost some ground in the battle to achieve the quality of the Japanese automakers.

By the way of a footnote, I Love the vehicle, the ride, handling, power and just driving comfort... It's too bad the General can't get its act together.
    Calibration History for :TRANSMISSION CALIBRATION
    Part Number CVN Bulletin # Description
    09358186 000035DD N/A transmission calibration
    09358267 0000EF87 N/A new calibration to correct setting of false dtc p0420.

I took this information from a site address that was posted on this format when i mentioned i had slippage problems. I personally don't understand it, maybe u will.
    Goodluck
    Thank you for the Denali Transmission calibration infomation. You sure are much more help than my neighbor's dealership (they didn't have a clue). I'll pass the info on to him...thanx again. I accompanied my neighbor on one of his return trips to the dealer and inspected some of the "demo" 2002 Denalis that the salespersons were driving. I too noticed some rubbing and the hairline cracks in the rear passenger door trim panels (you beat me to my next question!).

I've got to agree with you about the quality control at the General. I love 'em but wish they would get their act together to compete with the Japanese in this area. Love the horsepower but wish the engine was as smooth as the Sequoia's. Thanks again larry!
  • chevydude1chevydude1 Member Posts: 3
    I also have been having the same problems with my transmission locking up in my '02 Yukon XL Denali. I'm so glad that I found this forum!!! Finally something to take to the dealership (they are denying there's a problem at all because it won't "lock-up" when they drive it!)
    As I posted earlier, I had the same problem with the transmission locking up. Luckily, the problem went away as mysteriously as it appeared and I have not had a problem since taking it to the dealer for my normal oil change. The service writer thought it might be low transmission oil level.
    Hope u have the same luck
    That should be you're welcome, proper grammar u know.
    Take care
  • syntaxerrorsyntaxerror Member Posts: 2
    Can't seem to figure out if I should purchase the 2002 Toyota Sequoia or the GMC Yukon Denali (short body). I've done so much comparison that I just confused my self. Both vehicles will price about the same. I'm not familiar with the problems with the GM models.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! I am sure other members will be more than happy to help you out!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • joker35joker35 Member Posts: 9
    Go test drive them both and decide for yourself. I did and bought the Denali XL.
  • debster72debster72 Member Posts: 12
    Larry91, Heatwave3 and anyone else interested, I have tried to post a photo of my 01' denali (polo green over gold) at the following website. Hope you get to see it. If it works I'll try a better resolution/picture. The photo is located at:

http://members9.clubphoto.com/deborah509687/582431

Thanks for all the info on this site. I love my denali. No major problems yet (7000 miles). I did have the passenger seast belt replaced - kept locking up. Think Iv'e felt tranny slip once or twice when I accelerate but not sure.

Debster72

Think pic website works - yea!!! Sorry for the mis-spelled works on the last post. CU

debster72
    debster72: nice job on the two-tone. How much did the lower paint job cost? Did you get the relays for the hi-beams, fog-lites and door locks? Another nice touch is replacing the ruby-red logo with an all aluminum billet GMC logo that fits in the same location as the OEM. Really stands out and would look great with the green and gold instead of the ruby-red logo.
  • chevydude1chevydude1 Member Posts: 3
    Larry:

Brought my Denali back to the dealership with a printout of the information you provided and all of a sudden the flood gates (of honesty) opened up! The service manager fessed up to knowing about this problem. It turns out that there are quite a few problems around the country with the 4L65 HD transmission locking up (in other words, ours are not isolated cases!). They promised to have a "fix" in the near future, though I am a little skeptical after their less-than-honest ignorance of the problem on three days ago. I'll keep everyone posted!
  • bkosaianhbkosaianh Member Posts: 17
    Hello Everyone,

Been a while since I have logged on, I wondered if anyone has experienced belt noise from their Denali. I have had the truck in several times and they put a silicone dressing on the belt and thats good for about 2000-3000 miles. I finally said this is ridiculous and told the dealer to replace the (2) belts and the tensioner. This solved the problem for about 10,000 miles and now its back. If anyone has any comments or has had this problem I would sure like to hear about it.

I also found a guy out of CA that will chrome your existing Denali Wheels, He is great to work with and the cost is $100.00 per wheel & $16.00 per center cap + freight. You can E-Mail him at NGOBROS2000@aol.com. I have done this to (2) Denalis and the look is great.
    I really like your two tone paint, nice job. Please try to take another pic with a full side view. I would like to see a larger area
    Thanks
    Good for you. I guess the squeeky wheel does work.
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    The dealer should replace it for nothing up to 3 year/36,000 miles
  • goodguy2goodguy2 Member Posts: 9
    I had an 8 year old chevy van whose belt began to squeak after a rain or high humidity. The belt looked ok but I figured it was time to get a replacement. A mechanic told me to save my money and buy a bottle of STP Son of a Gun protectant and squirt it on the belt when necessary. It worked fine.
  • tspathostspathos Member Posts: 10
    Have you corrected the problem with your climate control yet? I have replaced the controller on mine but didn't help.
    I have never owned a vehicle with a serpentine belt that didn't squeak.
    Thanks for the info, i will certainly give it a try when my belt starts to squeak. My only ? is can that cause the belt to slip???
    Larry
  • goodguy2goodguy2 Member Posts: 9
    Since the squeak goes away I don't believe it does slip.
    Will try to post a better photo later this week. The digital is at my office. The 2-tone paint cost me $550. I had the top portion of the front bumper done, the lower rocker panels and the lower end of the rear tailgate. I did not paint the rear bumper, running boards or the lower portion of the front bumper. I did not want the lighter color of the 2-tone paint to accentuate the lower look of the assist steps or front air dam. I get a lot of looks, it really stands out. I would like to get the GMC front emblem but didn't want to spend $89 bucks. I am getting the high/low beam relay. Door locks don't bother me - I have 2 young kids so I prefer the delay in unlocking.

? Is it normal for the AC light to come on when you use Auto on the climate control even if its 40 degrees outside. I usually turn it off when it comes on. Don't want any more cold air!

Later, Debster
    Good, I am anxious to see the new photo with a greater side and full front view.
    Re the a/c light. It will be on when u are in auto mode, it goes between air and heat depending on the temp inside the vehicle, to keep it at a constant temperature.
    Larry
  • jammon1jammon1 Member Posts: 28
    My 01 DXL was doing the same thing only in the rear. In order to get any heat you had to turn it to full heat setting in Auto mode. Any other Auto mode setting would blow cold air full fan. The dealer took the whole back apart, talked with GM technical support, tried several parts before replacing the rear climate control computer. That solved the problem. The Denali has five temperature sensors for the climate control system. Mine were different by as much as 40 degrees according to the computer. Find a good service department and tell them to talk with GM technical support to resolve the problem. Good Luck!