Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How to replace power window regulator on a Buick Rendezvous?

Comments

• hydrochiefhydrochief Member Posts: 15
    Your "how-to" is a great help! :D
    The GM site shows 1 item "Front Door Window Regulator/Motor". You said you got two clips for each door. I just want to make sure that I will get two clips when I order the one item for my right side front door, not just one clip - and I don't need the motor (yet - knock, knock :shades: ). Can you give me a warm fuzzy on this? I really need to fix that window!
  • jereojereo Member Posts: 8
    Two clips are used on each window---one at the front of the window and one at the rear. My rear one was broken so I only replaced the bad one. Be sure to remove the red reflector on the panel---there is a screw behind it and it must be removed.
    clip part # 15286776 and 14286777.
    I was able to replace the rear one without taking anything out of the door as the clip just snaps over the track and the barrel must be pushed into the clip HARD. You will hear it when it is in properly installed. If it is not all the way in, thenew clip will break good luck
  • vtfan99vtfan99 Member Posts: 7
    Im getting ready to replace the clips in the rear right passenger window. I noticed the part numbers in this thread are for the front window. Does this make a difference? Can I order the same clips for the rear window as well?

Thanks.
    I too am waiting for a answer to find out if the clips are the same for the rear as the front.
    I was told by a Buick tech to keep all the felt around the window opening well lubricated with silicone spray. The felt dries out and will grip the window in the up position, making it harder to move.
  • tal35tal35 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have pics of the regulator assy and the clips that go bad? I have one going bad and wanted to see what I was getting into first. Thanks!
    Go to post #36 for pics. Be sure to put window into rubber clamp on clips before trying it out
    good luck
  • racedad21racedad21 Member Posts: 12
    I'm new here so be easy on me.lol. I pulled my front pass.door panel off due to a broken clip, and only found one left side clip. Do I need a left and right clip? Why would I have only one on our 2002 Rendezvous?

Anyway, I'll be ordering new ones from Ebay soon but I'm not understanding how I'm going to fasten the glass to them clips...without breaking the glass.

Any thoughts or helpful hints? Thanks for reading!
    The window should be about 3/4 of the way up when replacing clip. then lower window into the clamp which holds the window. tighten screw to hold window in clamp and that should do it.
    the old clip is probably laying in the bottom of the door. do not raise or lower window too many times using only one clip (front). this will stress out the remaining clip and it will break also and the window will fall down in the door.
    good luck
    Thanks for the fast reply! I'll give it a shot when I get the new clips. Is it me, or does this seem to be a pretty crappy design? I'm sure most vehicles these days are built this way...oh well.
  • ransom255ransom255 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to all you guys and gals, yesterday my wife called and said her 2003 RENDEVOUS dropped the drivers side window so I checked it out and the plastic clips that hold the window had cracked and the window had fallen down, so I went to this forum and found out what I needed to do the clips were just broken into and not distroyed so I got some JB WELD and glued them back togather let them set over night and this morning started to reinstall them but could not figure out just how they went so I did what one women did and removed the door panel on the other side to see how they fit & I did as someone else suggested and loosened the bolt on the side nearest the engine and put them back in. So far they are working like new. I would never have figured out how to do it if not for the help that I got here on this forum so thanks to one and all who have posted here about this problem.
  • mikbee74mikbee74 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Great help on this issue. I wish I would have found this about a week ago, but I still have a problem. I got the new clips installed, but the cable going to the bottom chanell is too loose. I checked to make sure it was in the track and looped around correctly, but could not find any errors. Does this mean the regulater is bad?
    Also, can I take out the entire assembly with regualator?
    Thanks for the help.
    Mike
    I want to order the clips from GMpartsdirect like some of you have, but have a question. Does the clip come complete with the thing that holds the window also? I emailed them asking for a pic, but they don't email me back.

I not only need the plastic clip itself, but the metal "clamp" that bolts onto the clip also.

Can anyone tell me what they got when they ordered the clips from them?

Sorry for the long post.

Gerald.
  • mikbee74mikbee74 Member Posts: 2
    I got my from the dealer and the plastic part and the clamp(to the glass) came together. The new part is a lot heavier made than the original.

Mike
    I ended up buying the 2 clips off Ebay for $69 bucks and all is well! I pulled out the whole regulator for more comfort and installed the babies with ease.

A big thank you to all of you that helped me. Ain't nothing like an internet forum to help us do-it-yourselfers out.

Now anyone know why our air cond. compressor just quit?

Gerald.
    On the rendezvous it is usually the condenser in front of the radiator that leaks
    I'm sure the Freon has not leaked out. The air cond worked perfect and blew ice cold air when my wife shut it off. A little while later the compressor won't even go on...? I'm thinking if it were a slow leak, we would have noticed the air getting warmer and warmer as we drove the car.
    Who knows.

Thanks alot for the fast reply!

Gerald.
  • gollywhoppergollywhopper Member Posts: 2
    Ok, got the clips and installed them. Running it up and down the slide looks good prior placing it back in the door. Everything seemed fine and in working order, but when I got the door panel back on and ran the window up and down to test it several times, the cable kept coming out of the nylon clip. I know for certain that I had the ferrule on the cable properly placed in the nylon slot. Why does it keep coming out?

:mad: Is the window is binding somehow when being rolled down?

Any answers on this?

Thanks for your answer in advance!

~jim
    Push the little barrel in the clip HARD---you will hear it pop when it is on properly.
  • gollywhoppergollywhopper Member Posts: 2
    Ahhh...that must be the secret! No wonder because I just sat that mug in there. :blush: Didn't know that it had use of force was involved.

~jim
    YUP.....but don't break that cheap cheeszy clip by pushing too hard LOL.

jereo is correct, it will snap into place.

Good luck.

Gerald.
  • ace28ace28 Member Posts: 1
    I see the title was 2004 Rendezvous but all I saw mentioned in conversations was 2002 and 2003. Do the part number listed for the clips fit the 2004 also? When you go to GM direct to order, they do not come up under 04.
    Part #15286776 and 15286777.
  • carbinecarbine Member Posts: 5
    Well, I have a broken clip too :sick:

I finally figured out how to get the inside door panel off, and found the broken clip laying at the bottom of the door.

How do I get the whole assembly out of the door to replace the clips? Does it lift straight up and come out the top?

Thanks in advance!
    Hey there. Pretty simple to pull out the whole regulator from the door. Once the panel is off, just remove the 4 or 5 bolts that keep it attatched to the door and pull it out through the big opening in the middle of the door. Don't try to pull it through the top, I don't think it would fit.
    Hey, I hope this helps ya! When you have more questions just ask.

Good luck,

Gerald.
    Thanks for the advice.

I went to the dealership and they only had one clip in stock, and of course it's the wrong one. So I went ahead and bought it and ordered the other one, because I'm sure the good one will break soon.

Also, this whole device is the weirdest contraption I've ever seen. Who on earth designed this mess of a window opener?

I may be begging for more info once I get my hands on the parts and dig into it.

Thanks again!
    Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I pulled the door apart. What has GM become? My pickup is a '97 and it seems to be built alot better.

Crappy design thats meant to fail. Oh well, thats life I guess.

Take care.

Gerald.
    My clip is suppossed to come in today.

After the clips are installed, should I place the assembly back in the door, then drop the window into the clamps from the window slot above?

Will I be able to get to the clamps with the unit in the door?

Thanks
    Yeah. Just take your time installing the clips and make sure the little "pellet" (we will call it that) is properly seated in the clip. This is important.
    It's pretty simple after that. Just throw it back in the door and bolt er back up. As for the glass, turn the key on and power the guides till they are half way up the door then tighten the bolts CAREFULLY. Make sure they are snug but don't overtighten and break the glass.

I hope this all works out for ya. Good luck man!

Gerald.
    You wont have any problem. The clamp is part of the clip assy. Just lower the window into the clamp and tighten it up. I'm 69 yrs old, so if I can do it, anyone can.
    Good luck, jereo96 :)
    :)
    Mission Accomplished!

Thanks for all the good advice and hints here! Changing the clips out was not really hard at all. I'm glad I bought both clips, because the one I could not see was also broken and hanging on by a thread of plastic. The new clips are a little beefier, so hopefully they will last the life of the car.

I don't believe I will ever roll windows down again for no reason...

Thanks again for the advice and piece of mind!
    I'm glad it all worked out for ya. Just wondering, what did each clip cost you at the dealer? My dealer couldn't help me at all. I had to order mine from Ebay.

Gerald.
    The dealer list price was $40.14 each, but they sold them to me for $33.45 each. It was higher than the gmparts website, but when you figure shipping, it's an even wash.

These are a little sturdier than the factory originals, so if they last a long time, I'll be happy.

Thanks again for your advice.
  • sciguy85sciguy85 Member Posts: 45
    The advice here was spot on but just some additions to those who have minimal experience doing this type of thing or just overly obsessive. When you are taking off the panel depending what you use, you may scratch the paint so wrap any sharp object with duct tape before prying it off.
    Be careful taking the window, locks and speaker connections. Make sure you have someone to hold the panel while you disconnect. (Mine actually pulled out of the connection but I was able to save it.)
    I was able to take the switch out of the door panel and test it before putting it together.
    Before you take the regulator out, make sure the barrels the the clips attach to are in the lowered position before removing. Mine were wedged to the top and I had to put it together again to bring it down.
    I put duct tape on the paint over the small speaker as when you put it on the paint can get scratched by the small clip by the speaker.
    If you hook up the window switch with the panel off, you can raise and lower the clips to make it easier to tighten them to the window.
    One of my clips were put together wrong. The black plastic piece was put on wrong (backwards) I had to really work totake it apart and turn it around. Make sure the pieces are correct. You will not be able to put it on if it's incorrect.
    Sorry no pics but it's my wife's and I wanted my car back and she her's so no fooling around taking pics. Any questions let me know.
  • scotty6861scotty6861 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have the correct Part # for the Front drivers side window regulator. I got a Part # for one from here but GMParts.com sent me a rear Pass. side regulator So i guess the part # that was listed here was wrong thanks for any help
    What are the part number for the 2 clips on the driver side front? Also the passenger side front.
  • mel42mel42 Member Posts: 1
    I had a friend replace the window guides on my 2004 Rendevouz, after he installed them the window would come up, yhe problem now is that the vehicle won't even start, it will not turn at all and nothing else is working to include a new satelite radio that I had just purchased and had install by Car toys.
    Any advice will be geatly appreciated, I checked all the fuses and they seem to be fine. Please advise. I hate to go to the dealer because they will charge an arm and a leg and besides I cannot even get the car started not even when I put as jumper to it.
  • jbilvinjbilvin Member Posts: 1
    I have read through this discussion and I am having an issue that hasn't been discussed...my window is stuck up thank god...and wont go down...but the motor is running when I press the button....is that the clips or more than likely the regulator?? :sick:
  • aikideshiaikideshi Member Posts: 1
    Hey Mel, same thing happened to me when I replaced our little clips. worked like a champ through mounting/testing, then put the door back in place and...whammy. Dead electrical system. Did you ever get an answer on this?
  • flyingcolflyingcol Member Posts: 1
    Thanks all you guys and gals, I read with interest and bought the 2 parts from dealer ( $100 approx )( incl the dreaded tax! )

Only needed the back one it went on like a dream, then I broke the front one, it became more nightmare than dream. If I was an orangutan with 4 foot arms and a babies fingers it would be easy. but I found it was easier if I undid reguator and moved it to the rear, it gave more room to fit the clip on the small wire piece and then swivel the whole thing back to clip on the arm before replacing.

Next problem I have no roof rack just the gutters, can I fit any old bars and towers if so wherefrom or do I have to pay the price of GM and help out their bankruptcy! ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You have aftermarket options for roof racks - Yakima, Thule, Barrecrafters and Malone are rack companies that I can think of off-hand. Not all of them may make clips to fit your Rondy.

GM may be cheaper than some of these brands though. :cry:
  • gearheadkldgearheadkld Member Posts: 1
    I need help before I smash this bleeping thing!
    Drivers side window will not come back up, and now I'm starting to have trouble with the window on the same side extended cab - but @ least I got it back up.
    This morning I was trying to remove the drivers door inner panel, took out the two bottom 6 mm bolts, & then removed the two 8 mm door handle bolts. Started to remove in panel but stopped because it seemed like I was going to break some thing. Is there more to it to remove this panel?
    I just wanna look inside & see if I can find the trouble.
    Please does any one have any advice other than burn the truck? lol
    Thankx people...
    gearheadkld
  • jwolzjwolz Member Posts: 1
    Okay...I've scanned through the 94 previous messages in this forum about Rendezvous power windows and, based on what several of you have said, this is something that can be repaired by the owner (me) and I can probably avoid the dealiership. A lot of the discussion in the previous messages related to "clips" and I'm hoping that replacement of broken clips will resolve my problem. But before I go to the trouble of taking the door apart, let me just describe what the window does and doesn't do. First off, it does not go up and down when I push the button (duh). It will, however, slide up and down if I put the window between my palms and push it up and down. Also, the window will slide up and down "crooked" (that is, not evenly). Is this consident with broken clips? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
  • sciguy85sciguy85 Member Posts: 45
    Yes, It sounds like it. I did take the door panel off to check myself to be sure. I did purchase the clips from the recommended place (I'm not sure but I think it was in Florida). One of the clips I thought at first was wrong but it was put together backwards (good old GM) and I was able to fix it and it worked great for less than $150 for both windows. Took me about 2 1/2 hours to do both but I am a slow and analyzing type person. Take your time, take pictures before you take it apart and as you do it just in case. Good luck.
  • kainscoughkainscough Member Posts: 1
    :shades: I just wanted to thank you!! I just replaced the clips on the drivers side saving myself 300 dollars. After reading your post and everyone elses I got the courage to try it. I am also a female and found once I knew what I was doing it was fairly easy... Now to tackle the wheel bearing.. ok maybe not. Little scary :-) :shades:
  • tonygravatotonygravato Member Posts: 15
    You will be fine with the wheel bearing, if you take your time and lay all the parts down as you remove them. Biggest pain is the center nut that holds the axle on, it takes some leverage to get get it off. Plus the three bolts that hold it on from behind sometimes do get a little frozen ( I had to use a propane tourch to heat knuckle and then backed the bolts out)

Just did the A/C condenser this past weekend, not too bad, but there were some pain bolts and nuts, plus you do need someone to help you move the engine forward after you are done to attach the engine mounts, and it essentially requires you removing just about everything to get the condenser out. But in the end, I estimate that total parts cost me about $225-$250. Plus I changed my oil, replaced the oil filter, and replaced all the old coolant in radiatior. Really ned to change plugs and wires. Anyone know how to replace the plugs in the back (the ones against the firewall)????
  • sexylilfidgetsexylilfidget Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone! I am going through your posts and I am encouraged that my husband and I who are not mechanics, can figure this out. I found a website that had pictures from a man who got all of his information from here! http://www.teamneon.com/buick/ For anyone who would like to see. My question is...I just emailed the gmparts.com people because they have the clip I want. However he emailed me back and said I would need two clips for one window...a front and a rear. Is this correct? It is our front passenger window that is broken. And the reason I wanted pics, is because our clip broke off and was laying in the bottom of the door when we opened it so we have no idea what it had looked like before!!! :confuse: The regulator...I don't know what that is. Is it the motor that propells the window? Does everything have to come off (as in regulator, speakers etc) to replace or just the panel so the barrel on the wire thing we clip to is exposed? Any info is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!! Thanks :)
    ~Amy
  • robertbob1robertbob1 Member Posts: 2
    how do I remove the door int. panel, pass side front. Window was frozen up and we kept hiting the pwr button until it broke, stupid hahn. Now the motor runs up and down but the glass is not connected. Can you explain how to remove cover, is there any special tools I need such as to pop clips, and do you have any idea what happend, what broke. Thanks, robertbob1
    The below is copied from a previous post (#36) on the subject.

This will be easier with a pop clip tool.
    Then a lot a patience to remove the electrical connectors.
    Then a blade to slice through the adhesive holding the plastic sheeting behind the door panel.
    Then your standard ratchet and wrenches.

The clips are plastic; so they age and evetually fail...

Give yourself at least three hours daylight (and warmth) to get this done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Buick Rendezvous (and maybe Pontiac Aztek) Window Regulator Clip Replacement $40 total!!!
    After having our driver window stop working 4 months after buying our Rendezvous and the dealer wanting $275 for the whole motor/regulator/clip assembly I decided to look around for a replacement. Car-part.com led me to 3 different salvage yards, all telling me the same thing as the dealer, the clips cannot be purchased separately but they would be glad to sell me the whole setup for $100.
    I said ok 3 times....
    The first salvage yard called me after i placed the order and said they had broke the clips removing it from the door.
    The second salvage yard could not find the door....ya, it disappeared! the whole door!
    The third was going to be the charm, after a week I called them and they said they had broke the clips also.
    I was content with the door panel off and my 1x4 with a notch holding the window up....but the boss said she didnt want to drive a ghetto vehicle.
    Then 3 weeks ago the passenger door clips broke! Talk about a total POS design flaw.
    So internet searching led me to the Buick forums where I found the part numbers for the clips.
    I ended up spending $80.45 for 4 clips, (2 for each door), shipped to my house
    Since my clips were broke in about 12 pieces I had no idea how to replace them....but about an hour later both side were done.
    Here are some pictures to help the next person with this project (and probably me again before its paid off)
    Part numbers and references at bottom of page

Here is the passenger side regulator removed from the door....I think about 5 10mm bolts held it on.

Here is the small "barrel" that snaps into the clip and moves it up and down the window.

The clip slides on the track first

Then slide the clip over the regulator and lock it in place (you can kind of notice the slot for the barrel)

Once the clip is locked on, line up the barrel and push it in with a screwdriver

The barrel is locked in place

Driver side ready
    So your ready to try it yourself? I would say most people with a little brain can do this with no problem.
    The clips can be found at gmpartsdirect.com
    The left part number is #15286776 and the right is #15286777
    Thanks to the guys (and gals) at http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/
    HOME
    Yes, you need two clips. There is a forward and an aft clip (or left & right depending on how you are facing the door). Look at post #101and #36 of this thread for more info...
  • robertbob1robertbob1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help with my 04 rondevous window. No I dont have the part #s and Im assuming no point in disasembling until have parts. If you could provide #s that would be great. I heard the dealer does not sell just clips but they are ava, is this true and do you no where and cost. The glass was stuck up and we forced it down by pressing the button until it broke lose. The motor is still running up and down do you think I just need clips? Thanks again for all your help, robertbob1
    Check out the link / info at post # 36.

The clips can be found at gmpartsdirect.com

The left part number is #15286776 and the right is #15286777.

These are basically forward and aft part numbers. Order them both. Then, when you get yours disasembled you can see which part number will fit where on the assembly. But yes, wait until you have them...

I'm no auto mechanic by any stretch, and this was not that hard - kinda monkey see monkey do in matching piece to piece... Just remember to practice your patience ;);)