Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• Options
    lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    There is an aftermarket device available that defaults the fog lights to on. Works great and is about $30. Easy to install. I can look up the info if you are interested.

As far as temp goes, it depends on the inside temp in the vehicle. Hot air will only come out if the set temp is above the temp in the vehicle. The exception is all the way to the hot forces max heating regardless of the inside temperature, All the way to the cool forces max cooling. If yours does not work as described, bring it back for service.
  • Options
    black_debtblack_debt Member Posts: 7
    Yes, I would like the info on the aftermarket device to keep the fog lights on. Can you post a link to the info?

As for the heating, your description is pretty accurate. I guess I'll have to deal with it. Thanks.
  • Options
    bouncer1bouncer1 Member Posts: 1
    PULLING TO THE LEFT A LITTLE ON THE HIGHWAY ANYONE KNOW WHAT COULD IT BE EVEN AFTER WHEEL ALIGNMENT WAS DONE .MAYBE A PART THAT HAS TO BE CHANGED...
  • Options
    The post above is correct for the fog light controller.

In my mind, that is how an automatic climate control should work. It is trying to get the vehicle to a certain temperature. This is so you can set it and not have to adjust it much. The gradual change from cold to hot is for a manual climate control (or an automatic control around the inside vehicle temperature).
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    swap the two front tires and see what happens.
  • Options
    hrhauserhrhauser Member Posts: 22
    The posting #1404, do the fog lights stay on when the high beams are on, or is it like the factory, when highs are on the fogs are off.
  • Options
    I believe it is illegal for them to be on with the high beams.
  • Options
    Did not know that our laws extended to Mexico, that is is where the Denali is used. So does the fog lights stay on when the high beams are on, you need all the light you can get.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Don't want to miss those topes and vibradors in the dark eh?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    donahuesdonahues Member Posts: 36
    The truck auto accessories guys also sell a relay that allows the low beams to stay on when the high-beams are on. I have both but have not installed either. The high-beam relay is easier to install. The fog-light relay is not too bad, but you have to remove the driver knee bolster and some other dash trim. Should take 20-30 mins for the fog light relay install.
  • Options
    jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    It was built in Mexico to USA safety regulations, just like all the other imported cars are.
  • Options
    black_debtblack_debt Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the fog light relay link.
  • Options
    jammon1jammon1 Member Posts: 28
    I had the same problem with my rear heat/ac controller. I would set it to Auto Climate Control and the temp dial would need to be at full heat to feel any warm air. They did a bunch of testing and determined that the computer that controls the rear climate control was bad. There are something like five temp sensors throughout the Denali. The computer was using incorrect temp (hotter than actual) readings and that is why it was not heating correctly. They will need to test the controller and the temp sensors to see which one is causing the problem. Good Luck!
  • Options
    nosuvyetnosuvyet Member Posts: 72
    Anyone out there that has 2 car seats in the back, can a full size adult also fit comfortably in the back seat?
  • Options
    Not comfortably. Normally I have the kids car seats (2) in the 2nd row bucket seats. If we have company and need easier access I will put one in the 3rd row and one on a 2nd row bucket. I have put both on the 3rd row and an adult between. It is not comfortable.
  • Options
    jphdxljphdxl Member Posts: 32
    I've actually got 3 car seat in the truck -- 2 infant (just now forward facing) and one additional for a bigger kid. We got an '01DXL in anticipation of the twins and needing the extra room, and we're glad we did. We have several times now had the three kids (2 in the 2nd row -- driver's side and center, 1 in the 3rd row) and 4 or 5 adults in the truck. We also frequently travel with the 3 car seats across the 2nd row. No question, 3 kids and 5 adults is a tight fit, but those have been only for rather short "around town" kind of trips. We have had the 3 kids and 4 adults for rather long trips (+/- 1000 miles round trip) without much difficulty. The adult in the 2nd row with the twins is certainly not as comfortable as those in the front seats, but it is not oppressive. So, in short, it depends on how large the passenger is (I would not be as comfortable as my wife in the 2nd row with the car seats, but could manage for a fairly long trip), how far you're going and what your definition of comfortable is.

The only way for you to really be sure is to bring the two car seats and try them in the truck you're looking at. It may look kind of silly carrying the car seats into the showroom, but that's the only way to tell. We did and it's really work out well.
  • Options
    I have to agree with jammon1 on the 3rd row issue. 2 child seats and an adult doesn't work as the 3rd row is more narrow than the 2nd row bench. That would definitely be a tight squeeze.
  • Options
    bratsmanbratsman Member Posts: 1
    Anyone having problems with a whine noise at 50 to 60 mph? Let off the gas and noise disappears. Dealer has worked on 4 times all that has happened is the noise comes at a different speed.
    2001 model 15,000 miles
  • Options
    Had a similar problem at somewhat lower speeds (30 - 45) that would come and go from day to day. Don't ask me why, but one day while hearing the noise I turned the tow/haul mode on for a minute and then off again and the noise has not yet reappeared after a month or so. Maybe the computer was confused, maybe it's a coincidence, only time will tell.
  • Options
    orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    Lobsenza is correct in that the laws mandate a maximum amount of light(lumens) that the vehicle can project. It does vary state to state but the auto mfrs have to go with the most conservative figures. I found this out way back when I had my 1986 Grand Am SE. Same complaint and when I inquired of GM they provided me the info that the fog lamps would be automatically shut off when the high beams were actuated because the combination exceed the legal brightness limits.(so be careful to check with your state laws to avoid a possible ticket)
    I have found that holding the flipper in the flash to pass position illuminates both the low and high beams together....sort of a pain to hold it while driving but works great for driving in areas where you want much more light but may have on coming traffic intermittently.(curvy, winding roads at night.)
    Thanks to jammon1 for the lead on the rear climate control. I noticed it seems to run a bit chilly and takes a long time to come up in temp...I'm going to have the service dept check all the sensors and calibration before I drop off warranty.(2001 Denali with 28k so far troubke free miles)
  • Options
    Had my Denali for couple of weeks now, 12mpg, great interior, quality of work on the out side BAD, running boards wide gaps at where the it is suppose meet the front fenders,running boards droop at the front, body shop said, replace with new ones, side molding, gaps on rear doors. Sure had better quality work done on my XL that was made in Mexico, sure wish this was made there instead if Janesville, Wisconsin, I have had other ones from there with the same poor workmanship.
  • Options
    csi35csi35 Member Posts: 28
    Running boards are put on by the dealer.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Maybe as an option for a Yukon or Yukon XL. On the Denali, it is a standard feature installed by the factory.
  • Options
    No, all options are factory, I never have had dealer installed options on my GMC products, maybe on the Denali if they would have been dealer installed it would have been a better job.
  • Options
    iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Gays/Gals...

Actually, I think that this is done behind the scenes when most dealer's prep the Denali's. I have seen on multiple "fresh off the truck" delivered Denali's that the running boards are enclosed in a box (located in the back of the vehicle) and then the dealership installs them when they inspect/pre-prep the vehicles. The same applies to the Chevy Avalanche too! They are shipped with running boards (if selected as an option) that have to be installed by the dealership once the vehicle hits the ground.

I don't know exactly why they do this (probably for ease of loading on the delivery trucks) but I guess it's more of a protection measure if anything. If you don't believe me, i would suggest that you contact your local GMC or Chevy dealer and inquire, but I have seen these vehicles shipped this way and without the running boards both in Ohio and Michigan.

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • Options
    Had our '01 DXL in for normal service this week and they found the battery leaking acid (and replaced it under warranty). As reported above, this seems to be a growing issue with these SUVs.

Unfortunately, they attributed the rear wiper "jump" when turning on the fog lights to the battery problem -- I guess I'll have to print out the TSB from the message above and bring it in with me next time.
  • Options
    My 01 DXL has a battery leak as well. They replaced the battery, tray and positive cable all under warranty.
  • Options
    jkpsarasjkpsaras Member Posts: 29
    Yes, My dealership said they can't ship the vehicle with the running boards attached.
  • Options
    larry91larry91 Member Posts: 189
    I love my Denali XL. It is the most comfortable vehicle i have ever driven. WE drive to Florida and back every year and driving in the Denali is a GREAT experience.

However, GM just can't get the quality control right. I have had many "little" problems with the fit and finish,as i would bet most of you have, plus, as i reported in an earlier post, the leaky battery.
    GM should include more useful gadgets on a vehicle in this price range. I would like to see a door ajar indicator and backup sensors. Maybe these items are on the 2003"s?
    GM has a LONG way to go before i would give them high marks for Quality.

Would i buy another Denali? Absolutely...Maybe this attitude is why GM doesn't try harder..

Larry
  • Options
    All the gagets are on the 2003 Denali, except back up sensors. As for quality they should be made in Mexico like my Yukon XL was, it came to me just perfect. Now my 2003 Denali made in Janesville, that is a problem, don't believe the workers care what is shipped out.
  • Options
    agree with you on the quality issue..I wonder, just wonder, if "Made In Japan" would make a difference?
  • Options
    stacystacy Member Posts: 91
    I want to replace my front and possibly rear red GMC logo on my white Denali. Where can I get just plain chrome logo and how do I install this? Should I just pay and let the dealer do it? It seems it should not be that hard or expensive to do. Thanks in advance for any info.
  • Options
    I don't know about the rear one, but they make a billet aluminium one for the grill. I have seen them at several truck sites from $40 to $75. You might be able to find a picture here.

http://www.performanceproducts.com

http://www.stylinconcepts.com

• Options
    There's a Where to buy Badges, Emblems and Logos? discussion in the archives, and the Badge/emblem removal techniques topic will tell you how to get your old ones off.

Steve

Host

• Options
    Getting the old one off takes Great patience...The vehicle looks really nice (in my opinion), if u take "both" emblems off the back.

Just be careful and make sure u don't remove the paint along with the emblem..
  • Options
    jkpsarasjkpsaras Member Posts: 29
    I removed the red emblem from the back. I used a hair dryer to soften the glue, and bug/tar remover to clean off the adhesive.
  • Options
    Check your battery. I understand that a few '01 Denali's were getting their batteries replaced due to some defective batteries. My '01 was not included in that batch but I checked my battery yesterday and discovered it was leaking from the positive cable connection. I replaced it with a Optima battery. AC/Delco batteries are junk! Next week I am going to swap the battery on the Vette as well. I don't want a leaking battery casing unneccessary damage.
  • Options
    The dealer replaced my battery, tray and positive cable for a leak. The indication I got was an intermittent starting problem cold. Everything was replaced at no charge.
  • Options
    I did not want another AC/Delco battery. That is why I did not have the dealer do the change.
  • Options
    I hope i can get this posted, there is or was something wrong with the site. I kept on getting sent back to the town hall welcome page when i hit the post my message button.

I agree with you on the JUNK Delco battery, but what led you to buy the Optima over the Sears Diehard? I had a 99 Tahoe with the same problem. The battery failed right after the warranty ran out.

I wonder if GM will ever get it right?? My guess is NO
  • Options
    We had some server problems earlier in the day - sorry about that!

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    dfwk2500dfwk2500 Member Posts: 68
    Just replaced our 01 XL battery as it just started leaking. Coincidentally, just like our '94 Suburban, the battery problem surfaced on a Sunday. I was so disappointed because I had to get a Sears Diehard over a Delco because Sears was open on Sunday but the dealer was not. On Monday, I took the receipt and old Delco to GMC and 2 weeks later I had a check reimbursing me for the Diehard. Conveniently, I dumped the bad Delco without replacing it with a Delco and without having to pay for the swap myself.
  • Options
    Good work.

I absolutely cannot understand why, when GM has battery problems for what appears to be years, they can't get it fixed??? It's really frustrating. I would suggest New Suppliers in certain areas. But of course, who are we?
  • Options
    I would not use a Die Hard battery if you gave me one!!! I had to replace mine 4 times in the same year before getting a good one that only lasted 3 years, it was a 80 month battery!!! I paid $85 for that pain in the rump, and got nothing but problems out of Sears every time I went back to get ANOTHER new battery. I understand that Sears got in big trouble and is being sued in a class action suit for selling old bad batteries that were cleaned up and painted, then sold as new. I WILL NEVER use Die Easy batteries again. For me it's Optima or DuraLast from Auto Zone ONLY, I have not had one lick of trouble out of either and nothing leaks or shorted out, they just keep on starting the trucks. My friend was being lazy and went to sears for a battery because he didn't want to change it himself, he to had problems with it and had to spend over $100 to find out it was the a battery because he could not believe his Die Easy was bad only 3 months after he bought it! If memory serves Sears gets their batteries from Exide which also supplies AC Delco with batteries, so take it for what it's worth.
  • Options
    Okay, got the message, Thanks
  • Options
    xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Only a few companies actually produce auto batteries. The rest are just a label change. Next time you are at the parts store look at the different brands - same battery - different name.

I am not sure who produces the Die Hard for Sears - my guess is who ever meets the spec and has the lowest price. The same is true for tires -and many other products.

I also just read that GM and Ford are planning to develop a new 5 speed automatic tranny. Who woulld have every thought GM and Ford working together to save each other $. The article claimed it would save over $300,000,000.
  • Options
    It is a speed auto tranny for front wheel drive cars....
  • Options
    xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    I think it was for full size SUV and light duty trucks. Since GM is further along in the development they plan to use the GM design. Ford will pay a % of the cost and then "buy" the number they need from GM.

This is not new for GM - they partner with many other companies - they already for example provide a tranny to BMW that is used in the 5 series.
  • Options
    orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    I recently changed out the Michelin tires on my 2001 Denali for some slightly more aggressive SUV tires. The construction is similar(number of belts and plies...) but I have noticed that the ride is a bit more harsh. It seems like the autoride may have been tuned to the Michelins. I thought it may recalibrate or self-adjust after a few miles or drives.
    Has anyone else done same and noticed any change in the ride?