Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura RDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jenp123jenp123 Member Posts: 39
    I haven't been able to find any 2009 RDX's in the the DC Metro area, but I just found one at a Chevy dealership with minimal miles. The price was $33,600 and I got it down to $31,900k includes destination, but not TTL. How are some people getting this price for brand new?! Is this not a good deal?
  • jayctjayct Member Posts: 16
    How to get a good price? First read the information on carbuyingtips.com. It will tell you how to go about finding and negoiating for a new car. Great source that gave me the confidence to find and get a very good deal. Remember it is your money and they will do anything to get it and as much of it as possible, so you have to be ruthless. I say this partly in jest but it really is true. Car dealers are snakes and you must treat them as such. Be ready to walk away if they don't meet YOUR price if it is reasonable. There are other dealers and they will make a deal so don't feel you have no options.

I went to Acura.com and found every dealership within 100 miles of my home. I reviewed their websites, saw their available inventory and found what they had available. When MDX's were selling over invoice, I found a dealer 100 miles away that sold it for less. None of the dealers nearby were willing to deal so I bought my wifes car there. All the paper work was done over the phone or via emails and all we had to do was show up and pick up the car. After I bought, the local dealers were shocked and one even said he would meet the price. Too late.

You should do the same. Check to see if they have the car you are looking for or if they have a lot of cars in inventory. I then emailed each one to see what kind of deals others were offering. I played the dealers against each other and got a great deal on my RDX. You can do the same. Remember it is your money and YOU are in control not them. Good luck, Jay
    I really appreciate your input. Yeah, I think the slightly used deal is not going to cut it. I have been trying to play the internet pricing game, but these dealers are awful even online. All they want is to get me in the door, I don't want to do anything face to face until I have the price I want in writing. That is how I previously bought my TL, I just showed up and picked my new ride. I think my problem is I am getting impatient and that is what they want! Ugh, its such a ugly game, I'll post my final outcome when I get there. Thanks again!
    I really appreciate your input. Yeah, I think the slightly used deal is not going to cut it. I have been trying to play the internet pricing game, but these dealers are awful even online. All they want is to get me in the door, I don't want to do anything face to face until I have the price I want in writing. That is how I previously bought my TL, I just showed up and picked my new ride. I think my problem is I am getting impatient and that is what they want! Ugh, its such a ugly game, I'll post my final outcome when I get there. Thanks again!
  • acuraninjaacuraninja Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I am seriously considering an acura rdx w/ tech with 64k miles. At $20k do you think its a good deal? I am wondering with the new '10s that the price may drop soon for the older models.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who have recently purchased a compact SUV in the past six months. If you’ve downsized from a larger SUV, please let me know. Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, October 2, 2009.
  • av6mtav6mt Member Posts: 1
    Looking to trade in a accord for a CPO 2007 RDX w/tech package that has 50,000miles in NJ.

Their dealer internet price is $25,500.00.

How much is a fair price for the dearler and myself to agree on?
  • tommy_gunntommy_gunn Member Posts: 38
    I would do all the price running on edmunds, kbb.com, nada.com, consumer reports ... but with 50k on the odo, that is a lot for 2 yrs, I would lowball him a bit on the price. Having it CPO with 100k extended warranty is nice though.

I'd shoot for 23k
  • jw766jw766 Member Posts: 6
    I think that's high. To give you an idea, in July I purchased a 2009 Certified RDX (base) that had 3,500 miles on it for $28,000 and that included a $229 admin fee. That means I paid $27,771 for the car. It definitely helped that I bought a TL from this same sales guy the year before, but just keep grinding your salesperson down.
  • jmontanojmontano Member Posts: 4
    Want to buy a 2010 RDX but am concerned about the low gas mileage. I drive a TSX and get better than posted mileage. What are you really getting with the car? Joe
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Try one of these two discussions...

Acura RDX Real World MPG

Acura RDX Fuel Efficiency Concerns

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jeofzthemanjeofztheman Member Posts: 11
    Is your $28K OTD jw766?
  • jw766jw766 Member Posts: 6
    It was OTD in that it included the DOC fee that was "required" by the dealership. Tax and tags was paid at a later date. That what you mean?
    Oh so Tax and tags were paid at a later date, i refered to OTD being "all in" MSRP and TTL. Thanks for your answer by the way
    I am planning to buy an 09 RDX and has been in contact with some of the dealers. I just want to share this bad experience that I had with an Acura Salesman from Riverside California. He gave me a call inviting me to come and visit their dealership when i have the time, i told him that i pretty much have the weekend to do the car shopping, that is the reason why i try to solicit the best price offer from diff. dealerships through email, who ever provides the lowest, I will schedule an appointment with them and closeout the deal. So I gave him my current best offer, and he said that he can beat that or at least equal that. I asked him to email me his offer if he can beat it over mail, then ill schedule an appointment with him. He said he can assure me over the phone that he can beat it, I said i need it in an email for reference, he was very persistent and he always mentioned that he can beat that price if the other dealership offered it. He was too persistent that he was even raising his voice. I calmly said, i do prefer it in writing, and he sort of yelled back that "you want it in writing maybe because the best price offer you mentioned was not true". I finally said, (again calmly) if that is what you believe, then i guess you can just let me go to the other dealership. Then he finally said with a frustrated voice, THANK YOU... YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY! (sarcastic tone)

Clearly this is not the way to win business, how hard is it for you to provide the number that you always say you can beat. Of course I will not give you the sell if you can only equal the price of another dealer. I would like to award it to the first one who offered the price cause they give their best to work with me, give me a price that works with me, and get a win win situation. I would do it even if it means that i need to drive an extra 50 miles to go to that dealership.

For others who are planning to buy an RDX here in SoCAl - beware, if the salesman from Riverside reads this, i hope you realize that you need to improve and learn to work with your customers, and peacefully agree to disagree if both of you cant meet.
  • steachersteacher Member Posts: 2
    I have several internet quotes.. the best is 32,262.00 w/o destination fees and taxes.. It that a good price? What is doc fee?

We are aiming for 30,000 or less.. you think we can get it?
  • mi_rdxmi_rdx Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for an RDX and got a quote yesterday from a dealer on an 09 w/tech pkg for $34.5K. i started neg from 31k & stopped at 32k. i came to know of this forum today & read the threads & saw that some ppl got it for 31-32k in june & july 09. none of the dealers have 09'sand wanted to know if 32k a good price now??
    almost 35k for a 2009 model? that is nuts. I was getting quoted 31.5k for that vehicle in june and july, and that was prior to the 2010 model releasing. that car is now a year old, so factor in depreciation and new model year, i wouldn't pay over 31k for that, and i would try for 30k if you could. if you have cash offer 30k cash on the spot, if they say no, walk away and tell them you are going to another dealer that also has a 2009 tech on the lot. first dealer to match the pricing you want will have a sale on the spot.

no way i would pay that much for a 2009!
    Is 32,262 for the base model or the one with tech pkg??
  • steachersteacher Member Posts: 2
    Its is the SH-AWD without Tech.. i actually got a better offer the other day.. invoice price!
  • desmonsmdesmonsm Member Posts: 48
    My local Acura dealer in Albuquerque has an 09 RDX w/Tech Pckg still on the lot. MSRP is a little over $38k and from what I can tell the invoice is around $35k. What is a fair price for this vehicle, factoring in depreciation?
    what price did you get it finally for?
    Is this for a base model? For 2010 models I think the best price you can get it is at 32K plus. If you want less than 30K, then consider buying a 2009 and you better hurry as there are not much left. I just bought 1 a couple of days ago, i got it at $29,800, OTD was $33,400 (I live in SoCal where tax is almost 10%).

Gudluck, I hope you get one, they are really fun to have.
  • megsie88megsie88 Member Posts: 7
    Hello!
    Shopping for 07-09 RDx w or w/o Tech pckge....haven't decided. There is an 09 RDX base (AWD) at my local Acura dealership, w/9500 miles (was part of their service fleet), they're asking $30,998. Anyone think I can get this for 29,500?? Looks like wholesale price is a little over 27K, and we'd be paying cash. Also looking at an 07 RDX w/tech, and DVD rear system, which I haven't found in ANY other RDX, 25K miles, asking $27995.
    Thanks for the input!
    Does the $30,998 price includes Taxes, Destination and title? I got mine brand new 09 Base for 29,700 that is before TTL.
    jeofztheman-- no, the $30,998 is their advertised internet "sticker" price...that's good news that your got yours for $29,700, brand new. Cars.com says that the 09RDXs have around $7G depreciation after the first year, so I would think that they would accept our offer of $29K..hmm..wondering now if I should start even a little lower. We'd be OK up to 29,500.
    Never believe the price the dealer asks for. They are just trying to get as much out of you as they can. Check out what the prices are going for here on Edmunds.com and KelleyBlueBook.com. I will bet you will find it for less. As noted new cars are going for less than that price. Do not be afraid to play hardball with the dealer. They want YOUR money and you are the one in control, not them. Jay
    if it were me, since its pre-owned, ill start at 25K - all in (w/ TTL) :), Good Luck
  • geohovgeohov Member Posts: 23
    Bought my 2010 AWD with Tech RDX today! I drove it first at the dealer and then left because the salesman had another customer and didn't notice me leave. He called me at work and and asked if I liked the car. I said it was very nice. I told him there was a dealer on the south side of Chicago selling it for $35,550, could he match that price (doesn't hurt to ask). He said hold on he would check the price. Came back in a minute and said that is their cost on the vehicle. I said yea and where does that leave us? Can we make $500 on the car? I said I'll give you $36,000 and tax. He thought about it for 30 seconds and said, OK! I went back the next day and bought one coming off the truck, Pearl White and Taupe, for $36,000 and about $200 license, doc, and 7% tax OTD! I couldn't believe it. Love my new RDX!
    ahhh..I'm such a pansy when it comes to this--I'm one bad mammajamma in my own mind, but then, when I get to the dealer, I get all nice and smiley, and my hubby says I talk too much. Does it make a difference that it came from their service fleet, and wasn't "truly" pre-owned?? Edmunds is saying TMV on this car is over 34Gs for a CPO!!! What???? I don't know...called a good friend of mine who has access to Manheim pricing, and he said this is bringing about 27,500 at auction. So I guess we'll start there....aargh. I hate negotiating :confuse: ....
  • ebcarbuyerebcarbuyer Member Posts: 17
    I wouldn't pay over $29k for the 09 RDX base with 9500 miles on it and I think thats even on the high side. Where you located?
  • digital_bdigital_b Member Posts: 129
    what are people paying for 24 or 36 month leases on this vehicle. if you have good credit [over 720] what kind of perks or deals should you expect on this vehicle?
    ebcarbuyer, we're in east TN
    So, went into the dealership yesterday to give offers...salesperson said he'd have to get sales mgr approval, who wasn't actually in the office that day. So, let us leave, and told us he'd call back if he could get a hold of the mgr. Called us in about 20 mins w/ an offer of 32,500 OTD. We had originally offered $30,500 OTD. Would have gone up to $31,000 OTD, which would have put sales price of the vehicle at around 29,000, which we thought was more than fair, given that these are pulling in around $27,500 at auction. They won't budge off of 32,500. It's been 3 days...what's going on? Their sticker on this vehicle was 30,998--so their offer of 32,500 meant a selling price of 30,200...only 800 off sticker??? doesn't seem right..thoughts???
  • digital_bdigital_b Member Posts: 129
    $35,269.00 is what I was quoted by the 'internet' dept. and I know around 800 should be added for destination. so effectively 36k for 36 months should look like what figure per month at acura's best rate for excellent credit?

thanks in advance car_man
    personally I would not go for this till the price of the car is closer to 29k or 28k. I was quoted 31.5 for an 09 tech in july brand new 0 miles, now the one you are looking at is 1 MY old (with release of 2010 MY) and has nearly 10k miles, and was a show car, which means dozens of random people drove the thing like they could care less. No way I would pay 32 or 33 for that thing, IMHO ...

I'd go back when the manager is there, tell him you have found an alternate solution, and you are going to decide by 5pm on XYZ day, and he has until then to sell you his car at your desired price, otherwise he will never see you again. Then walk out. This is a buyers market, and he has a less than desirable car ...
    Megsie,

My advice is to pass on it. You don't know what the dealer paid for it (they might have bought it at auction themselves) which means they may have paid more than $27.5k for it or they just want a set percentage of profit and aren't one of those dealers that like to deal. Keep looking, you'll find something. Or give the dealer one more chance, tell him it's their last chance to accept your offer. If they don't you'll be purchasing else where.
    Hey guys,
    Yeah, we decided to pass on it...thanks for your advice. They called us back yesterday and actually asked US if OUR offers had changed...LOL....I was like, "no. Have yours?" We also heard that the owner of this particular dealership is "very weird" when it comes to dealing with anyone. Apparently he has all the money in the world, and really doesn't care one way or the other. That's the word on the street anyways...:) So, we'll just keep looking--thankfully, we're not in a situation where we NEED a car right now. So, time is on our side! Thanks again!
    If there aren't any other Acura dealers close by (another reason why they may think they can dictate price) I'd consider looking in nearby cities or having your friend help you get something at auction. Problem with auctions is most of the lease returns showing up there will be the 2007 MY as three year leases would be the first to show up. I never buy the first year of any model. I wait for the bugs to be worked out and newer feature sets to be included. Good luck in your search! :)
    You made the right decision Megsie, im sure you'll find your car in another dealership. This forum helped me learn the tricks of negotiating and find the best price by doing all haggling through email, its easier to walk away that way :)

Goodluck!
  • trometrome Member Posts: 17
    So after testing the RAV4 V6 which I was about to buy, someone told me about the new FWD RDX and after one drive I was sold. Unfortunately the first dealer I went to , Esserman Acura, made the experience very unpleasant. They offered me $13,500 on my trade, an 08 Accord LX which is easily worth $15,500 to $16k wholesale and I scoffed and insisted I wanted a minimum of $15,500. They kept me waiting and said their "team of appraisers" was working on it. I finally got up and walked out even though the suddenly offered $15k as I left. Then they called half an hour later and offered $15,300. I told them I don't care if they offer me $15499.99 I am not taking it. Finally they called back an relented but by that time I was so turned off I called another dealer who had the car I wanted in stock, Rick Case Acura. They were courteous, pleasant and after friendly and quick negotiations we worked out a fair deal for a base FWD RDX (no tech package)> MSRP was 33330 and I paid $31440 which is less than Edmunds TMV.
  • drr98drr98 Member Posts: 80
    Nice work.
    The first dealer was playing their game with you and they lost. Good for you walking out. If they can't get back to you in 15 mintues then they are being unfair. Sounds like you got a decent deal. Jay
    Was the $31,440 OTD or before tax and doc fees? What's the tax rate in your area?
  • trometrome Member Posts: 17
    no, that was before tax and tag. Still a great price I thought.
    It looks like invoice for your vehicle was $30,713. I'm gunning for at least invoice, but we've bought multiple vehicles from this dealership so they should work with us. Is invoice realistic?
  • esteban_sdesteban_sd Member Posts: 1
    2010 RDX Tech Package - MSRP: $36,430.00

Internet Sale Price: $35,254.54 + tax, lic, and doc fees.

Your price includes Destination charge and dealer installed Protection Package (Trunk Tray, Wheel Locks, and All Season Floor Mats). Your price quoted is valid for 72 hours.
    Any opinions?
  • drr98drr98 Member Posts: 80
    It's not clear if they are quoting a base (fwd) or an SH-AWD, so here is my opinion on both...take 'em with a grain of salt though, as I do not own an RDX. (yet?)

From edmunds...in my N. Cali zip code area...

SH-AWD w/Technology Package AWD 2.3L I4 T
    MSRP-$37,620 Invoice-$34,580, TMV-$36,329

Base w/Technology Package FWD 2.3L I4 T
    MSRP-$35,620 Invoice-$32,746, TMV-$34,422

Depending on where you live, you should be looking to pay close to invoice price or less in todays economy. Seems like a buyers market. Find a willing dealer.
  • doc2caredoc2care Member Posts: 4
    RDX base in TX. Dealer is quoting me 31,800 saying its $500 over invoice. He is adding $800 destination fee and $300 wheel lock and $300 advertising fee to make total of $31,800 plus tax/title. Anyone has an idea if its a good deal? Thanks!
  • depdep Member Posts: 79
    You can check the invoice price here to verify but $500 total over + TTL is reasonable. You always have to pay the destination fee of course.

The rest of the charges; don't pay them. Wheel locks cost $25 and are of no value to 99.9% of car buyers and the ad fee is just another way to say they are charging you more for the car.