Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Caravan/Voyager Starting and Stalling Problems

Comments

• danutdlpdanutdlp Member Posts: 2
  • mikeksmithmikeksmith Member Posts: 1
    My van started doing the same thing. It will die in either drive or reverse unless I give it a few RPM's it will not go. Anyone found a fix for this yet?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    WHAT? I CANNOT HEAR YOU, YOU'RE TALKING TOO LOUD!

Please retype your post in normal mixed case letters to that the rest of us can read it and comment.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • eshanieshani Member Posts: 3
    The van keeps cutting out while driving normally ill turn it off and restart it an it turns over on 1 ocassion it did not turn over and i had to wait about 5-10 mins before it would do so ,also the rpm is out of control it goes up but it wont come back down,then theres this thing with the gears not cathing.
    ive been to 2 mechanics one said i need to replace fuel pump and filters also possible electric problems. the second one says i need vehicle speed sensor, cam sensor and ignition coil pack. With all these different possibilities idont know who or what to believe and really cannot afford to replace things that arent damage. If any one has an idea or any helpful information it would be gladly appreciated
    Problems like this are very difficult to diagnose via the internet. A good place to start would be to get the van to your local AutoZone and have them plug in an OBDC-II reader and capture the error codes.

FWIW, I kind of doubt the fuel pump is an issue, but depending upon the number of miles you have on the van, the filter might be an issue.

Regarding the electronics, oxygen sensors, cam and vehicle speed sensors do fail over time and you should be prepared to replace these as well (assuming the codes point that way). As for the coil pack, I highly doubt it is an issue either.

Keep us posted.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for responding . I went to a third mechanic today he first said it could be electrical problems then he attached a little computer looking thing once he finished he told me that its presenting transmission problems a code came up and i was told that i need to replace the computer for the transmission he also said thats the reason why the gears arent catching, the head lights are out and also why the rpm is wack,he also said that its only runing on 2 cylinders instead of 6. So heres the thing the mechanic says once the computer is replaced the van shouldnt have anyore problems, my thing is i just purchased this van 1 week ago with 96,183 miles on it apparently it seems to be a lemon,i spoke to this dealer guy and he wants me to take it to his mechanic to have it fixed and im kind of ify on the matter because i dont want to get stuck with continuos problems, so at this point dont know what to do should i let him fix it, should i trade it for another or should i get my money back and am i entitled to a refund under the new york lemon law.
    First off, I believe that the New York Lemon Law only applies to new vehicles, although I could be wrong on that one.

Were I in your shoes, I'd take it back to whoever you bought it from and ask them to fix it. If they won't, I might be inclined to talk with a lawyer.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • sumsmumsumsmum Member Posts: 4
    I have had similar problems wiht my '9 Voyager, and finally took it to a Mennonite electric motor place who told me I needed a new power train computer, which I ordered. i am expecting to get it back from them today, so if you can hold on a day or so, I can let you know how that works for me. I found a place that sells these more reasonably than the dealership. They were very helpful, lifetime warranty: http://www.goecm.com
    Hold tight if you can.
    Heidi
  • sumsmumsumsmum Member Posts: 4
    My mechanics say that they part I bought did not fix the problem
  • bbdoll62bbdoll62 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE. I turn it over and it starts then immediately shuts off. After the 4th or 5th time when I turn the key it does nothing! The idiot lights come on but nothing else happens when I turn the key, no clicking, no nothing!! The dealership that I have service done at started pulling sensors and found that the circuit board for the instrument cluster was shorting out so they changed it ($676 later!!!) But now my alarm goes of all by itself randomly???!!! Can you help? Any theories, suggestions, etc?? Thank you!! bbdoll62
  • bbdoll62bbdoll62 Member Posts: 2
  • randerson4randerson4 Member Posts: 1
    Our van has been misfiring and stalling for the last 2 months. We have hooked it up to the computer 3 times with no codes, even though the check engine light is on. We have replaced plugs and wires and coil pack with no improvement. It runs better on hot days with the air conditioner on. Runs well as long as you are giving it gas, when you slow down or stop it sputters and sometimes dies. Restarts fine. We have the gas tank out and the fuel filter is out but there doesn't appear to be anything wrong that we can see. Any suggestions on where to go next?
    Does any one have an idea how much it cost to fix an electrical problem . I took the van to the mechanic to replace the computer turns out he wasnt able to fix it said it started to smoke and that it has serious electrical problems when i asked him about fixing it he said he does not do electrical problems. Back to square one . Lemon law does not cover electrical problems ,any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
  • parncparnc Member Posts: 2
  • parncparnc Member Posts: 2
    Please help! Followed the instructions on the manual for what to do when the steering wheel is locked. The steering wheel will not move at all when the ignition key is inserted - the key won't even turn, it's as if it's locked. Tried changing the tilt steering column but still not luck. Replaced new batteries 2-months ago. I can turn my headlights on and the interior lights too when the ignition key is in.
  • gracigalgracigal Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, have a problem that I hope someone can help with. I have a 2000 Grand Voyager with 109k. When putting the van into drive it dies. It starts right back up, no hesitation or engine issues. When you put it into reverse it backs up just fine, but every time you put it into drive it dies. At one point I was able to limp forward about two blocks. Since it happened late at night, and of course away from home I had no choice but to have it towed home. Transmission was rebuilt @ 72K and I had the transmission fluid changed at 100k. Any info will be appreciated.
  • bulltaurusbulltaurus Member Posts: 2
    Hello all, I am new to the forum and I hope I can recieve some valuable info from this site. I have a 2000 Grand Caravan Sport. It has the 3.3L V-6. For aprox. the last month or so it has been having cold start issues. It cranks over for at least 3-5 seconds before it will fire up. When it does fire up it seems to run fine. After the engine is warm it will fire up every time right away. I've had the fuel pump pressure checked, changed the spark plugs and had the coil pack checked out for proper spark. Still having problems. Does anybody have a clue what it could be? Your help possibly may save a marriage. (lol) Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Do you wait for a couple seconds after turning the key to the "on" position? That will give the van time for the fuel system to fully pressurize. My '98 DGC will take a few cranks to start when very cold, especially if I fail to plug in the engine block/oil pan/transmission heaters for a couple hours prior, if I do not let the fuel system prime.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • bulltaurusbulltaurus Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for replying . Yes, I do wait to start after turning the key to the on position. I started waiting to start when it began to turn over longer than I thought it should.
  • skylar32skylar32 Member Posts: 1
    my husband has put a new computer, crank shaft/ cam sensor ,new coil pack , plugschanged feul filter feul pump every time he does something it runs fine for about three days then it starts stalling again ,anyone got any more ideas to make this car stay running! any info : would be helpful
  • upnrunninupnrunnin Member Posts: 7
    The cam / crank and certain other sensors share common wires. The easiest and quickest fix I have found is pull off the connector at the bottom front center of the engine. Clean it and seal it with electrical connector lube (<$1.00 at auto zone).
    Also, clean and seal the coil connector and the cam sensor connector. Think of this as a moisture problem. I have replaced all these parts - some multiple times. The problem is in the connectors, not the parts.
  • fredinfredfredinfred Member Posts: 1
    2002 dodge caravan, Cant turn the key, tried the steering , no luck, odometer lights come on but the gear P/N/R doesn't show, battery was found ok by mechanic five days back around 410 cca. please help
  • gv10281959gv10281959 Member Posts: 2
    Hi: I had a similar problem my van would run fine, then when I shut it off and tried to start it again it would turn over and run for just a few seconds and then shut off. After trying to start five times it would no longer turn over at all.None of the dealerships could figure it out. My local mechanic thought it was the starter, I had that replaced and still had same problem. Here's the good news after months of trouble I had the ignition switch replaced and that was the end of problem. I hope this info. helps.
  • gv10281959gv10281959 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I had the same problem with not starting it wasn't the instrument cluster, it was the ignition switch. parts and labor cost 129.00 and haven't had a problem since and that was about 8,000 miles ago.
  • vernalisavernalisa Member Posts: 2
  • vernalisavernalisa Member Posts: 2
    I was driving and my van just quit I checked normal things and then I checked the spark I had none the coil or ignition module had no voltage so I replaced it and I still can't get it to start what else could it be.
  • du_dasdu_das Member Posts: 1
    our 1996 voyageur has the same problem; my husband took out the wirings on the cd radio completely (no more radio) and seems to work it did not stall again for at least 3 years he put it back!
  • cmgomez1990cmgomez1990 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Dodge Caravan is giving me some problems. At times, when I turn the car on, it will run just fine until I come to a full stop. When I come to a full stop and try to accelerate again the engine shuts off and the oil light comes on. In order to fix this problem I have to turn the ignition again. I've checked the oil and that doesn't seem to be the problem. I've replaced the battery and it worked for 2 weeks, but it gave me this problem yesterday as I was leaving home and as I was coming back from class. This problem only happens every so often and only happens within a few minutes of starting my car. Could it be because I'm not giving my car enough time to warm up or could this be another problem?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
    A few points:

1) The oil pressure light comes on because the engine stopped (when the engine stops, so too does the oil pump), not the other way around.

2) The warm-up time is irrelevant. In fact, you should never "warm-up" a car for more than five to ten seconds, even in the dead of winter.

3) The very first thing you should do is to take your car to a shop and have the OBD-II codes scanned. Most likely they will point to the problem (like an oxygen sensor or a cam position sensor).

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • sbelarminosbelarmino Member Posts: 2
    Skylar32,

Thank you for your suggestions on resolving the issue with the 1996 Plymouth Voyager. The symptoms I am having is exactly what you have explained. I have cleaned and sealed the coil and cam sensor connectors, but I could not find the connector at the bottom front center of the engine. Can you give me a little more details on where is this located?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!
    Steve Belarmino
  • kavikkavik Member Posts: 1
    We have a 96 3.3 liter van that stalls when you put it in gear. It starts in park or in neutral. I have replaced the throttle position sensor and manifold sensor in accordance with the error codes and trying to make some sense of voltage readings received with same.Any input would be appreciated since we are fed with the maintenance problems on this vehicle and local mechanics can not help with this problem.Thank you!
  • calishayecalishaye Member Posts: 6
    hi, I have a problem with my engine stalling when I'm at a complete stop. It always starts right back up and only stalls when I'm at a complete stop, such as at a stoplight or stop sign. It only stalls when the air temp is at a certain temp that I can tell. I first noticed problems last fall, then during the winter I had no problems with it at all. Now that it's warming up, it's beginning to act up. I first noticed it acting up again after I used the air conditioning for the first time this season. Also, it idles rough, and if I am driving for a while, it starts to run rough, and if I press on the accelerator, there is a lag time before it speeds up, it acts as though it wants to quit. sometimes when I am pressing on the gas and I come to a stop, it jerks. No one seems to know what's wrong with it. Any help would be much appreciated.
  • alpineptalpinept Member Posts: 4
    INSTRUMENT CLUSTER TURN KEY TO ON POSITION LOOK AT ODOMETER IT WILL BE BLANK TAKE BOTH HANDS SLAM DOWN ON TOP OF DASH. WATH FOR ODO. TO LIGHT UP. IT WILL START HOPE? PAUL IN IND.
  • ehrmannehrmann Member Posts: 4
    I have the exact same problem. It shuts down while driving and eithr totally stalls or contnues running. Did you ever find out how to fix it?
  • marytmanningmarytmanning Member Posts: 8
    I do wish I had a answer but still can't find out what is wrong.
    I just got my van out of the garage yesterday.
    Tuesday morning I am taking it too the Dodge dealer & see if they cn find out whats wrong.
  • sbelarminosbelarmino Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, I have not got the answer on how to resolve. I have done all the things recommended. Cleaned and sealed the wiring harnesses. This is after replacing the cam sensor twice at the recommendation from diagnostics from my local mechanic and the Chrysler dealership.

It is a real shame, because if my car wasn't having this issue, my wife would still be driving it and most likely until "the wheel's come off". :>)

If I get any positive result or suggestions that work, I will certainly let you know.

Steve
  • jwolvie316jwolvie316 Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Gr. Caravan was running fine when on the way home from work on Mother's day it just died. I was able to get it started for a short while only by holding the gas pedal to the floor. It wouldn't run long enough to get home without a tow though. I've replaced the fuel filter. The fuel pressure with the key on engine off is about 48psi. It appears to be getting spark(orange). I've also replaced the Crank sensor, ignition coil, and put a used computer in it. Still nothing. Can someone please help.
    I replaced the Crank Shaft Sensor on Thursday evening and it has not stalled since. I put on 800 miles in those 4 days. I hope that solved the problem. It normally would have died about 5 -15 times in those 800 miles.
  • launchohiolaunchohio Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager that whenever it wants to (maybe a day to 4 weeks) the van will not stay running.
    When this happens everything on the van works except the electronic mileage and trip meter will not light up.
    The van starts and runs for about 5 seconds then stalls out it will restart then stall for about 5 times then it will not crank at all BUT everything else is ok IE:radio,lights ect.
    When you let the van just sit as short as 10 minutes and sometime as long as overnight the next time you turn the key the electronic mileage and trip meter will light up like it is supposed to and the van starts and runs fine then the next time or maybe weeks later it will do the very same thing again
    Every once in a while the electronic dashboard will flat line
    It shows no error codes when running fine and of course it is never close to a repair station when it won&#146;t start.
  • marytmanningmarytmanning Member Posts: 8
    I have the same problem & for a couple of years I would some times be stranded for a week.thank goodness I am retired.Then my son heard about the same problem with another guy & he said to hit right above all the dials with your flat hand & it would start.
    I have been doing this for over a year and it works every time.
    I had taken my van intot he dodge dealer & different garages.
    I sure hope this helps you.
    Good Luck, Mery Manning.
  • buzzys731buzzys731 Member Posts: 3
    working same thing only one code that was cooling sensor.didn't help and front trams mount replace,spark plug, cleam air in take body, air filter, air in take hose replaced,also on the one working on range indicator at times show that it is in all gears?
    if you fix it, post it.
    get another key switch installed.this time ,put only 4 keys on the van key ring.it the keys weight.
    to disable air bag take off negative cable off battery
  • melis1970melis1970 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Grand Caravan and within the last month wants to stall when putting it into gear or going down the road it will jerk. Stalls at stop signs and red lights. But can't get to happen all the time. Finally took in to the Chrysler Dealership and they have no idea put it on computers and they cannot find what's wrong. They even got it to act up for them but are puzzled to what's wrong. I have 163,000 miles on it, otherwise it ran wonderful until recently. Never had any problems with it until now. Any ideas or if someone finds a fix let me know.
    There are a few things that can cause this, knock sensor, crankshaft sensor or the camshaft sensor. Also could just be some bad electrical connections. I would start by disconnecting the connector from the knock sensor and see if that does the trick.
    If you havent replaced the fuel filter I would do that as well.
  • leoman09leoman09 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 01 caravan with a 2.4 engine. Back in April, we were having problems with the van not starting until it cranked 4 or 5 times. We replace all 4 spark plugs and it started fine until 3 weeks ago. It started not cranking right away again. As the days went on the worse it got. One day it would not start at all. Figured out that there was no spark. So I replaced the ignition coil, wires, and all the plugs (again). The van started right up and ran great. I started it 4 or 5 times and it fired everytime. After it cooled alittle my wife took it to the store and when she came out it would not start again. So I checked for a spark again, everything was good there. I also checked to make sure the ignition coil connector was good and it was fine. After talking to a mechanic he mentioned replacing the cam and crank sensors. So I did! Again it started right away. After it cooled again it wont start again. When it does run, it runs great, no codes, no rough idle, no stalling. I just bought some injector cleaner tonight and put it into the gas tank. But iam running out of options. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I really dont want to replace a bunch of parts that doesn't solve the problem. Iam thinking fuel filter, injector(s), fuel pressure regulator, wiring problem...etc. I do have a 2 inch slice in my cat and have replaced both O2 sensors withing the last 3 months.
  • thomasdpthomasdp Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 voyager and have completely ran out of answers. nobody knows what causes the stalling or can tell me how to fix it, thats how i ended up on this forum. ive replaced plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel filter, and two fuel pumps. i was getting ready to start replacing sensors like everybody else but after reading all these stories im thinking about just saving my money. any help appreciated!
    Pull the plug on the Knock Sensor. See if that does the trick. Next go to the fuse box in the engine compartment, take out each fuse and relay and plug back in. If you still have the problem then go to the fuse box again and remove a few screws and flip it up side down, pull all the connectors and put back in. These wont cost you anything. Let me know how you make out. ronehrmann@verizon.net
  • laurentprlaurentpr Member Posts: 1
    EASY FIX TO CHRYSLER GRAND VOYAGER 1997 PROBLEM: CHRYSLER GRAND VOYAGER WILL START 5S AND TURN OFF. ELECTRONIC MILEAGE AND TRIP METER WILL NOT LIGHT UP. LOOKS LIKE AN IMMOBILIZER ISSUE BUT IS NOT.

THANKS LAUNCHOHIO:
    Amazing. Thanks a million for the tip above. It did work: I hit above all the dials and the lights went back and I could start. Really amazing! Thanks a million... :)
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    It could be a number of things, but you probably either fixed this or dumped the van by now! First, the Automatic Shutdown Relay could be faulty, which would prevent the ignition coil from energizing. Second, the powertrain control module may not be receiving proper input from the crankshaft and/or camshaft sensors and may therefore not be activating the ASD relay.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250