Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Jeep Wrangler

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited October 2014 in Jeep
Calling all Wrangler fans! Post your comments here.

Comments

• xoffroadxoffroad Member Posts: 4
    Rumor has it, TJ will be replaced with KJ based vehicle. Gone are solid front axles, and ladder frames with the 4.0L pushing it all. In are IFS unibody framed cute-ute styled vehicles pushed with a 2.4L 4cyl, 2.8L Desiel, or the destructable 3.7L V6.

If you want to know what the body will look like, take a late model tracker and put the liberty front end on. Heard no more removable doors.
  • dwrestledwrestle Member Posts: 72
    There is no way Jeep would get rid of the Wrangler look, it's everything Jeep is, and everything Jeep was, and everything Jeep will be in the future. They would have to be nuts to get rid of the Wrangler, they might get rid of the 4.0 for the 3.7, and they might(I'm hoping)put the 2.8 Diesel in it, but they won't make that dramatic of a change, besides the vehicle you are describing is a Liberty.
  • davesbrewdavesbrew Member Posts: 45
    Just got my latest Car and Driver in the mail and there's a pic and blurb about the new wrangler. I'm going off memory right now, so some of this may be incorrect, but it says it will be released in early 2006 as a 2007 model. Changes include revised doors (hard to tell from pic whether they were still removable), round side mirrors, integrated front bumper/winch assembly, and new headlight/foglight assembly, and that's about all i remember off hand.
    The bumper/winch looked slick, the side mirrors very old school- think 1950's ford/chevy pickup-esque. Doors looked similar, but hard to tell because of the angle.
    The headlights were round (at least they learned that lesson), and the foglights were integrated into it a little down and to the outside, so the 2 circles (headlight and foglamp) shared a little common area in the corner. I think car and driver described it as looking "Siamese", but as I am fairly unfamiliar with folks from Siam, that term didnt mean a whole lot to me.

Anywho, that's about all I can remember. I've been trolling this and the regular wrangler board for a while, but because I am as-of-yet jeepless, I havent had anything to post about.
    Hopefully one of these days I'll become a more regular poster.

-dave
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    It was shown in another forum that the C&D photo is just a Photoshopped image of the Rescue concept vehicle... Photochop done by user "electric sheep".

-twylie
  • fformula88fformula88 Member Posts: 30
    I wouldn't be surprised if the next Wrangler did incorporate a lot of styling ques from the Rescue concept, but it is not going to look as close as that pic is, unless they are going to downsize it to scale. The Rescue is huge.

I have seen some sources indicate the Wrangler would use the libby platform, but the most recent articles I have seen have indicated that the Wrangler will remain on its own platform. I cannot remember an exact source at the moment, but I think it was in a Toledo newpaper article regarding the Jeep assembly plant expansions, and new construction. However, I am not sure.

I know a lot of Jeep people fear what DCX will do to the Wrangler, but I also think they realize that the Wrangler represents the Jeep image, and that image is what sells all those IFS Liberty's. However, its hard to speculate what it might have or might not since DCX has been awfully quiet on the whole thing.

Knowing what the Wrangler means to the brands image, I do not expect they will screw around with it a whole lot. They need it to comply with increasingly tighter safety standards which could end the ability to offer removeable doors. Thank the government, not Jeep for that. However, they still have a couple years to engineer a solution to it. IFS vs Axle is a big debate, and I wouldn't be surprised to see an IFS. Maybe the solution could be having an IFS installed on a subframe for the bulk of Wranglers that are bought for daily driving and do not venture far off road (ala the Mustang Cobra IRS), and a solid axle option for the off roaders.

The 4.0L is going to die. Its an old engine that really is getting a little long in the tooth. I do not think the Libby 3.7L is a good solution, but maybe they will make improvements to that motor or come out with another. I heard rumors that DCX is looking at making a 6 cylinder version of their V8 hemi. That might be a better solution than the 3.7L.

Most everything up to this point is still speculation. So don't panic yet, and be sure to tell DCX what you want to see, or don't want to see in the new Wrangler. They do listen!
    put the 2.8 CRD or some other diesel engine in it, if they are going to put a V6 Hemi engine in it why don't they just lob two cylinders off the 5.7 Hemi. Chevy lobbed two cylinders off the 5.7 Liter to make the 4.3 Liter, the 4.3 is one hell of an engine to, maybe the 5.7 Liter Hemi with two cylinders lobbed off would be a 4.3 Liter Hemi, or it would be cool if it's a 4.2 because Wranglers used to have a 4.2 anyway.

Is there some reason they don't just lob off two cylinders, maybe that don't work for a Hemi engine, hopefully they put an MDS system in any other engine they put in any Jeep, even if it's a 4 cylinder diesel engine.

I don't see the difference between IFS and Solid Axle except Solid Axles are older and seem better suited for the Wrangler because it's simpler, other than that I could care less, the Liberty and Grand Cherokee are great off road and both have IFS.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    on the Wrangler forum. In a replacement for a Wrangler, what features would you need for it to have to be a Jeep Wrangler (or its true replacement)?

Removable doors?
    IFS or SRA?
    Roll cage?
    4.0L engine?

What features make a Jeep a Jeep? Let's hope DC is reading this and takes serious note.

-Paul
  • steven2steven2 Member Posts: 37
    they update the interior a bit. the rugged look works on the outside, but inside we need real seats. if its reaqlly an offroad vehicle, a navi system would be fitting on the higher end classes.
  • shiznanniganshiznannigan Member Posts: 8
    Navigation systems usually only have roads programmed in them. Off-roaders would find better use with a GPS, which are handheld anyways.
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    Please don't encourage DC to simply chop two cylinders off the existing Hemi to create a Hemi V6. That is what GM did with the 4.3V6 which, while a decent engine in terms of reliability, is pretty rough.

As we all know, 90 degree V6 engines usually require a counter-rotating balance shaft to run smoothly, and even then have a hard time running like a good 60 degree motor or an inline six.

How about this - DC should develop a 60 degree 4.0 liter SOHC 3 valve per cylinder V6 that could be used as power for the Durango, Dakota and all Jeep models. Tune it for low end torque and output figures of 235hp and 255 lb-ft of torque would not be out of the question and definitely an improvement over any current offering. AND, it would likely be silky smooth.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    am i missing something? i just get a page of specs on the current wrangler through that link.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    Just wanted to let you know that the Nav system that is currently being used in Jeep vehicles is GPS based and has a Trail Feature. When you leave a road, it automatically follows your course, dropping a 'crumb' every 150 feet so it can direct you on the way back. On the way back it drops crumbs too and combines the paths. It even gives you the opportunity to save the trail in the computer's memory so that you can return to your favorite places.
         It seems like just the NAV system an offroader would be looking for.
  • mvulcanmvulcan Member Posts: 1
    Hey, just a question.
    Have you seen this in a Wrangler?
    Just asking, because I've seen the Nav system on Ebay for around $900 but wanted to make sure it worked in a wrangler. I know some other aftermarket NAV systems require a connection to some type of Speed sensor, which I guess they use in conjunction to GPS?

Thanks in advance for any help

Mike
    http://www.wranglergear.com
  • noraknorak Member Posts: 1
    I fully agree that 90-degree V-6 engines are inherently out of balance and I wish they would be abandoned by the auto industry. In-line 6 cyl. engines are best balanced. I wish that Jeep would develop a DOHC 4-valve-per-cylinder head for its in-line 6 engine instead of looking for ways to save more money.

As for the Hemi, I have yet to see anything from Chrysler that proves its multiple displacement technology is fail-safe. I understand that, at cruising speeds, a pin is used to deactivate the valves on 4 of the 8 cylinders. I would like to know what happens if that pin wears out or breaks or gets stuck somehow. Come on DC, prove that it is fail safe. I also note that the AMG versions of certain Mercedes cars never adopted this technology although it appeared on other Mercedes models.
    usually do not require a connection to the speed system - they use calculations based on positions from the GPS satellite. Even my handheld Magellan does that. You can get the nav system from Mopar as well I believe.

-Paul
  • jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    No I haven't seen a Factory system (what we call an RB1 radio) in a Wrangler, but here's what I know...it is not listed as an option in the newly published order guides...the mopar section of the jeep website lists a special bracket that you need if you are installing the RB1 in a wrangler, so it may be available soon. My original answer, as I'm sure you realize, was general...but the RB1 seems to be comong in the Wrangler soon - its a great system with many, many useful features for both on and off road.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    "I don't see the difference between IFS and Solid Axle except Solid Axles are older and seem better suited for the Wrangler because it's simpler, other than that I could care less, the Liberty and Grand Cherokee are great off road and both have IFS."

Dwrestle:

I know this isn't exactly a timely reply, but this is my first visit to this discussion and I just read your post.

Man, I can't believe you said that you can't see the difference between IFS and solid axle! There is all the difference in the world in articulation. IFS is terrible for off roading compared to solid axle!

A Wrangler will go places a vehicle with IFS can only dream about!

Also, unless they have changed them, and they very well might have, the Grands have solid front axles. Have they changed them to IFS?

If I wanted to spend more time looking, I could probably find even better pictures to show the flex that I get with my Wrangler. This one below will have to do for now. Think you could get that kind of flex out of IFS? NO WAY! A vehicle with IFS is going to be nose down and leaned over to the right in that situation, or, it would be nose high and leaned to the left. In other words, the weight of the vehicle would all be on the right rear and left front tires.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    The 2005 GC has IFS. Think I'll be keeping my 2000 GC for a while to sit in the garage next to the Wrangler. :)

-Paul
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Nice pictures of Thelma Jane as usual, Tom. Looks like I can post again too. :-)

However the front suspension may turn out, at least it has been confirmed that it will be body on frame... I seriously believe solid axles will live on in the 2007 Wrangler.

As for the RB1, several people have been installing this system in their 2003-5 Wranglers already, with zero problems.

Marlon

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Tom

The pix of the Wrangler does not have a stock suspension. No stock Wrangler will have the kind of articulation shown here.

Bob
    That's true... it is unfair to compare a modified Wrangler (2" spring suspension lift, not spacers). Also, the front anti-sway bar may be disconnected in this picture, which allows for more flex/articulation.

I'm beginning to think that the Wrangler will be released for the 2007 model year, since we have no sort of information or pictures, with the exception of a Photoshopped Jeep Rescue. If it was a 2006, we would have more information, and have seen some sort of drawing or prototype by now.
    Tom was making that a solid axle suspension setup like on the current TJ's is more flexible than an IFS setup, giving better articulation. Yes, Tom's Thelma Jane IS lifted and he had it disconnected.

But the point was that the solid axle COULD do that. Could a modified IFS setup give the articulation that a modified solid axle does?

-Paul
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Could a modified IFS setup give the articulation that a modified solid axle does?

When you start getting into purpose-built or modified suspensions, be it solid axle or IFS/IRS, it becomes a slippery slope. Pun intended:)

No, most independent set ups don't have that kind of articulation potential. On the flip side, as important as articulation is, many of the newer high-tech 4WD setups will get you moving (or un-stuck) with traction just going to one wheel. So today, depending on what you're driving, enormous articulation isn't as important as it was say 5 years ago when these new trick 4WD systems weren't available. BTW, I have seen some pretty trick IFS/IRS off-road set-ups, with gobs of suspension travel, but they're purpose-built units.

At the end of the day, what's important is that you got to your destination. If massive articulation is the answer, then great. If a trick 4WD system (with relatively poor articulation) gets you there, then that's fine too.

Bob
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I just read this board today. I can't believe they will be changing much of the styling - it seems like DC is going to continue many of the traditions of the Jeep brand, like listening to the owners.

Seats - I love the seats in the older Wranglers (like they had in '98) - very comfortable. The new ones are still comfortable but don't fit me as well. Even the new ones are more comfortable than many of the other cars I've test driven (or rented), so I hope they don't change them very much. About the only thing I might like to have with the interior is heated seats. That sure would be nice on cold mornings.

I think I saw the factory system demonstrated at Camp Jeep this summer. They said that it could be installed in the '03 and later Wranglers (the start year could have been earlier than that but it wasn't an option for a '98). While it had some nice features, I wasn't impressed with the map database - it didn't even have my "town" much less my street (it only had the next town over from mine). I lost interest in it after that, so I never asked if you could hook it into a computer and upload/download other map databases to it, or other people's computed off-road routes.

As far as suspension systems go - the Army seems to be pretty happy with the military hummer, and that's independent suspension. I'll reserve judgement on this issue until I see what comes out. I'd like to see more use of selectable lockers and the idea of a factory installed winch is neat.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Is the new wrangler to be a 2007 model???
    Most likely. There either will or won't be a 2006.
  • iconoclasticonoclast Member Posts: 67
    I firmly believe that Daimler/Chrysler is that stupid, unfortunately. They destroyed the Cherokee to make a soccer mom car and now they have destroyed the GC for the same reason. They don't give a hoot about keeping the jeep image; they do care about selling cars. And there are millions more soccer moms than those of us willing and able to venture to Moab. I do believe the demographics actually show that more women drive jeeps than men...and when they want a softer ride around town they will get it. We tend to think we off-roaders are in the majority and really cared about...look at what's happened to the entire SUV market because of soccer moms..lower ground clearance, tires under the car reducing gas tank size, IFS all around. Most jeeps never see anything except pavement on the way to Walmart and Chili's. Yes, Chrysler will make big changes and ruin the Wrangler all in the name of MONEY!! Customer demand wins again! That's why I'm buying a new jeep now..it's going to happen and finally a vehicle just became a good investment because there won't be anymore made in the future! Bet's on..........
  • brdhntr1brdhntr1 Member Posts: 19
    I agree that DC is more interested in the soccer moms and suburban grocery haulers. The fact that the Rubicon came into existence is almost unbelievable. DC has their $100,000 plus G55 AMG. Porsche has their Cayan. The buying public has no regard for off roading. They want vehicles that are ultra fast sport wagons with 4WD capability. There is no margin in the Wrangler line. DC will jettison their Icons for margin and market share.
  • 4rider4rider Member Posts: 96
    "I firmly believe that Daimler/Chrysler is that stupid, unfortunately. They destroyed the Cherokee to make a soccer mom car and now they have destroyed the GC for the same reason. They don't give a hoot about keeping the jeep image; they do care about selling cars. And there are millions more soccer moms than those of us willing and able to venture to Moab. "

I agree 100%. DC seems to have forgotten what makes a Jeep a Jeep. IFS, compared with solid axel, is a very stupid setup for any serious 4x4. Of course most socker moms and dads know nothing about the real differences between the two.

I may also plan to buy a Wrangler before they are trashed into Mall goers.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    I started on my future classic 12 months ago, I wasn't that serious then, so I bought a Wrangler X hardtop. It now has 6900 miles and now is only driven 200 to 300 weekend miles a month. I plan to resume its daily driver role in about 4 years. If I knew I was going to do this I would have bought a Rubicon. I kept the X stock , except for Bridgestone Revos at 30 x 9.50 X 15. The soccer mom wrangler, I heard will be a short wheelbase version of the gladiator concept. It would be longer, wider and more expensive with a 4 or 5 star side impact rating,available with 4 doors and no more inline 6. Now here is the downside the entry level jeep would not be an SE or X model, it would be a Liberty based IFS called the Patriot or Scout?. Good idea to buy a wrangler now, and really enjoy , about a year from now, when it would be out of production.
    With DC gearing up to produce SWB 2dr. and LWB 4 dr. wranglers that are wider and longer, is it a coincidence that they would be the same size as the Land Rover Defenders! These makes the new wranglers not only off-roaders , but also special applications vehicles. Kind of makes sense on how DC would like to compete with Land Rover in markets outside the U.S. The gladiator concept, which is most probably the new wrangler does have solid axles and diesels.
    You guys have really negative attitudes.

Also, no offense, but there's no such thing as "IFS all around".

You saw the Gladiator. There goes your Wrangler...almost. Use your imagination to figure out the real thing. What's wrong with better safety ratings? Your US Gov't is requiring it, so ... no blaming DCX for that one.
    There is nothing negative with a new wrangler being much different. From all the little news on Mikes, Toledo Blade etc. The new wrangler will still have solid axles, it would lose the old tub body etc. for safety like side impact, the Feds are pretty pro business, its the Insurance industry that driving these new standards, and consumers too. When I bought my 04 TJ I later found out that the new one was not as doomsday radical as some had said no 4 wheel independent etc. We would lose the inline 6 . This would finally bring closure to the tub body design after over 60 years.
    I'd really hate to see the tub body go away. However, it would be nice to get better gas mileage (I would guess whatever replaces the I6 will be more fuel efficient), and have a more stable vehicle in the wind - something that the current body style doesn't allow (well, the longer wheelbase Unlimited is MUCH more stable).

I'm not that crazy about the Gladiator, but I'm also willing to wait and see what they actually put out there.
    make a 4 door Wrangler, the Unlimited is long enough to slap an extra door on it(I wonder if they would make them half doors), they could make it a suicide door and it would look pretty much the same except it would have a hinge.

I really don't think the Wrangler will change much. The look of the Wrangler is just Jeep. If I mention my Cherokee as just "my jeep" and the person doesn't know what I drive, they automatically assume it's a CJ or Wrangler.

The Wrangler is just to cool to change MUCH. It's a serious off road vehicle, it is a convertible, the doors come off, it is unisex(men and women can drive and not look out of place no matter how high off the ground it is), and they are just cool as hell.

I really don't want to see a V6 under the hood of the Wrangler. I think the 4.0 does way better in most situations than the 3.7. Besides you can stroke the 4.0 and get awesome power out of it. Hey Jeep should just stroke the 4.0 from the factory!!! Maybe make it more economical somehow maybe lighter, put an aluminum head on it or something like that. Yeah that would be sweet! Also the CRD Diesel would be awesome. Don't even offer a gas 4 cylinder anymore.
  • jeepster4jeepster4 Member Posts: 53
    A LWB wrangler Rubicon with CRD would be the ultimate outdoors enthusiast's truck...While they're at it, lets to a Scrambler version with the CRD.
    We can dream, can't we?
    Read on the jeep rumors section on JP magazine that the new wrangler will have a 96 inch wb for the 2 door and a 116 wb for the 4 door, seems kind of too long? More versatile roof panels etc. The new wrangler should pretty much remain the same, except for new door framing that passes the new side impact standards the insurance industry lobbied for. I don't think DCX can continue with the I-6 engine due to it being not use in any other DCX vehicle and the ready availability of the 3.7L V-6.
  • jayp1jayp1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm not a Wrangler expert, but I wanted to share that two weeks ago I saw a shiny new 4 door soft top Jeep that looked very much like a stretched Wrangler with round head lights. It was well proportioned, so well so that it took a double take to notice the extra doors. I was so curious I followed it up the Tollway to try to snap a pic with my camera/phone. Unfortunately, I topped a hill only to find it stopped on the roadside, where I again saw the 4 door configuration. I did a U turn AGAIN but by the time I got back it was gone. It was dark green w/black soft top. I didn't see a Wrangler badge, but I was definitely a 4 door Wrangler-like Jeep. The doors looked similar to the ones on current Jeeps and the back doors looked almost exactly like the front. Hope I'm not repeating what you already knew...
    All I know is what I read in jeep magazines etc.
    DCX is usually secretive until about a year before introduction, I used to see them drive around the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum over at Palm Springs in California almost a year before introduction and they were not hiding. We are a little over a year away, so it is close enough , but they are still evasive, that means whatever it is, is not a pre- production version yet. The Magnums I saw were full pre-production back then.
  • iconoclasticonoclast Member Posts: 67
    With the sales of the Rubicons and other Wranglers still way up, you can bet DC is going to be elusive at this point...especially if they are considering major modifications like engines, front suspensions, and styling. If or when sales start sliding, then they can show a few cards in their hands (enough to scare enthusiasts) and watch sales climb for fear of major changes. Just the thought of making drastic changes is a great marketing ploy that will keep us guessing and buying just in case they weren't bluffing and might actually have a full house in those remaining cards!
    Also I saw a picture, I think it was motorweek on the next wrangler, it was totally a mule. It had an 05 Wrangler on top a chassis that was way longer. It sort of showed something like 6 inches of extra frame past the body. And enough camouflage of course. So it looks like we won't be seeing any real pre-production jeeps in camouflage till next year. Remember the commander, it cruised around only a couple of months before its New York debut. However I think the next wrangler will definitely be larger, since they have the Compass , patriot small jeeps to market?
  • blepblep Member Posts: 2
    Just a response to an above message...

the TJ, still has a 4 cyl availible in Canada. as for the I-6, it desperately needs to be replaced. It is at least 25 years old. the V6 would be better for fuel economy while providing almost the same power.

If you want reall fun, go for the Turbo diesel if the make it in the Wrangler/TJ. 295 lbs/ft of torque. Slap on the 4wd and squeel all 4 tires at once!!!
  • nmertznmertz Member Posts: 27
    All this whining and knashing of teeth at the prospect of the Wrangler getting phased out.....I heard all the same stuff back in the pre-Chrysler years when the CJ got discontinued in favor of the Wrangler. The CJ...now THAT was a Jeep!! Not one of your wanna-be Wranglers. BTW that changeover was fueled by the insurance companies putting pressure on the manufacturer because people kept rolling CJ's over trying to drive them like they were sports cars.
    As I was working out in the gym this morning I saw something on the news about Congress working on a bill that would require all cars to have side impact bags soon (couldn't read the year - the TV was too far away from my bike). That got me thinking about how Jeep could do that with the Wrangler and not have to significantly change the sport bars, doors and tops. Or would there be some exemption that the Wrangler could fall under?
    mtngal... that's part of the reason why the TK will have to be wider. Can't properly fit side airbags in the current structure.... that's also why the traditional "tub" body will have to leave.

Just what I heard. ;)
    You are right on target with the insurance companies lobbying for all these new features, imagine, they subject all these new cars with offset front impact, side impact and roll-over crashes every year and have them on Network TV. They just keep on raising the bar every year. Us consumers it is not all our fault, we just buy what they want us to buy. Anyway I still prefer the TJ over a CJ. The TJ is like what a Defender 90 landrover is to an old Series III Land Rover 88. Excellent performance with refinement, but still true to its simple roots. When the wrangler replacement arrives I think it might still be even better.
    Many vehicles now have the side airbags integrated into the seat, not necessarily the door. While putting them in the door would be less costly, I am hoping Jeep puts them in the seat so the doors can still come off.

-Paul
  • blepblep Member Posts: 2
    I have to agree that the doors are probably going to go. I can't imagine governments allowing us to have removable doors anymore.
  • mikjeepenmikjeepen Member Posts: 1
    we are not whining we just know that they will screw up a legend! leave our wranglers alone stick with your minivans if you want it change something but leave the jeep wrangler alone what does the insurance companies know or gov. hmmm, if i remember correctly the government back in the 40's wanted the jeep lol.so pick on some other vehicile.oh ya keep making the rubicon it rocks.
This discussion has been closed.