Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• lalanelalane Member Posts: 39
    The photo of the 5 piece on that particular web site is for the vans. My 5 piece looks like what is shown as the 3 piece plus the 3rd row is a smaller version of the 2nd row. I hope that helps...
  • elgato88elgato88 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks,

I was hoping that Nifty would have one that covers the exposed area between the 2nd row bucket seats as well.
    As it turns out, it was the A/C system causing the clicking noise at cold start up in the morning. I use to have the climatic control and the air vent mode both on "auto" which causes the air conditioning unit to be on. However, I was told that our unit has a clutch and it only engages when the temperature requires it. But during startup with the system on, it goes thru a process (and I can't quite explain it like my mechanic) and the clicking is what your hear. So, of course this morning I had the A/C unit off and no clicking. Just my 2 cents....
    Lalane
  • noquarter1noquarter1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my new DXL on 4/2/01. Previously had a 99 Sub 2500. I LOVE this truck! Ride, accelaration, handling, comfort, etc. etc. Mine has the factory sunroof as the only option. Aftermarket accesories are limited to Autovisor bug sheild and door/window visors. I have also installed a Poron backup system (very easy to do).
    My only complaint(and I mean only) is the fact that the drivers side seat does not fully recline like my old Sub. What on earth is GM thinking?
    Mine is used as a work truck (hey I get to write it off) and there are times during the day that I would appreciate being able to take 5 and relax.
    As for spare tire sizes, brands, etc. I don't give a crap. They are for emergency use only in my book anyway. Unless they also used the same wheels no one would use them as part of a tire rotation schedule anyway.
    I hit the 6000 mile mark today, so it might be early to say I have no more complaints. My last 2 Suburbans both had gas gauges that quit at 40,000 miles (convieniently out of warranty).
    As you all know the seats are kick [non-permissible content removed] as well as the Bose sound system. If they would only recline! I don't know what took GM so long to build this truck.
    Sorry not to offer any new ideas or reccomendations, but I know there are a lot of people that use this forum to gather information, as I did, and thought they might be interested.
  • rtgclurtgclu Member Posts: 7
    Looking at purchasing the 01 XL, unfortunately comes with Firestones. I believe I saw on the Suburban/Yukon XL board that NTSB indicated tread separation on the Firestones being used on GM Suburban and GMC Yukon XLs. Can anyone confirm this as fact? And if so, any recourse with dealer? Again, I believe I read (too many posts to go back) that one dealer provided PO at local tire dealer to swap Firestones for Michelins? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Separately, anyone with comments on infant or child saftey seats being used with the 2nd row buckets? We're considering going this route, having had 2nd row bench on our 96 Burb. Thanks.
  • araftcoaraftco Member Posts: 23
    I've had my DXL since December and have second row buckets. My wife gave birth to daughter in January and have had no problems with infant seat/child seat in the bucket. Your only issue might be the desire to put the seat in the middle on the bench, to get it away from side impacts. Personally, I prefer the buckets and am extremely happy that I got them.
  • ming838ming838 Member Posts: 1
    Does any one can tell when can get clear head & tail lights ??
  • larry91larry91 Member Posts: 189
    I certainly hope I didn't make a mistake when I bought this 2001 DXL, I feel like some inspector was sleeping on the job when my truck was built.

Problems reported in earlier posts:
    1...Paint rubbing off rear doors, due to doors being misaligned, FIXED,
    2....Door lock manual switch fell out on drivers side door, Waiting for part,
    ADDITIONAL PROBLEMS:
    3...Drivers door creaks and squeaks when opened and closed, dealer could not eliminate the noises with lubricant, scheduled to be checked out
    4...The SCV, speed compensated volume does not work on the 'Great Bose' radio,
    I wonder what will fail tomorrow? Good work all you folks at General Motors.
    Hey Toyota, build a vehicle to compete with the Suburban, build it, and I will come to buy.
    I am sorry I have to say this, but GM brought it on themselves, with their poor quality control, and lack of respect for the buyer.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Used some white lithium grease and problem was gone. Squeaks starts back up after 6 months. I've gotten used to using the grease as it works better than the one the dealer uses.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    I don't know what your past experience with GM has been, but every now and then something gets out of the plant.

As for GM quality, JD Powers and the Harbour report, have both ranked GM as most improved US auto maker in both quality and efficiency.

This is what the Harbour report sez-

General Motors showed the most progress of any company in the 2001 report, with solid across-the-board improvements in its assembly, stamping and powertrain operations. GM was the most improved multiple plant company in assembly (9.4%), stamping equipment productivity (10%) and engine labor productivity (5.2%). What's more, GM took the overall lead in hours per transmission for the first time.

"For the past several years, GM has been working very hard on implementing lean manufacturing systems and processes throughout its operations," said Ron Harbour, president of Harbour and Associates. "As shown in The Harbour Report 2001 results, it is evident that GM has made significant improvement in its manufacturing operations."

You can check it all out at the following sites-

http://www.harbourinc.com/index.html

http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/

It sounds to me like you have a bum dealership, more than a quality issue. Once the little bugs get worked out I am sure you will see what a great truck you have there.

Hi John, My last vehicle was a 1999 Tahoe LT, I really liked the vehicle. I had a few problems, but no vehicle is trouble free. It is quite frustrating when one pays in the area of $40M, and has lots of little things go wrong, I am sure u can understand my feelings.

The writeups in the various publications u cited are fine and dandy, but all the favorable press does not overshadow a poor customer experience, make that experiences.

In spite of all that, I really do enjoy the Denali XL, and could not think of another vehicle i would rather have, except maybe, an Excursion, if Ford ever builds one to my liking, which I doubt will ever happen.

I will say however, if Toyota built a Suburban type vehicle that competes in the area of power and size with the Chevy/GMC, i would certainly buy one. I have never owned a Japanese vehicle, but I believe they are still "FAR" ahead of us in the quality department.

Take care
    CORRECTION, did I say $40M, let's make that $50M, I really got carried away.......
    Oh, I did have a short block replacement, but I am not really sure the truck needed it, think the service mgr wanted to be accommodating.There was, what the service folks, called a helicopter noise. After the engine change I didn't hear it for a long time, but it finally came back again, i ignored it as not being a problem.
    The engine change was not on the Denali, but on my 99 Tahoe
  • briandudebriandude Member Posts: 10
    I currenty have a 2000 GMC Sierra Z71 1/2 ton pickup. I tow a 5000lbs. camping trailer with a equilizer hitch. The 5.3 engine and transmission pull the trailer fine in tow/haul mode. The rearend is overheating the gear oil. I would like to upgrade to a 2001 Yukon XL Denali. I was wondering what type of rearend it has? My Sierra has a GM corperate 10-bolt. I would also like to hear about any experences towing with the Yukon XL Denali. My trailer is not that heavy, I am debating getting a Yukon XL Denali or a 3/4 ton Yukon XL w/8.1 4x4. Thanks for your help.
  • briandudebriandude Member Posts: 10
    I was looking at Yukon XL Denali the other day. The Dealer told me the Denalis transfer case would overheat if you drive in the sand. The reason he said was if you spin the front tires to much for an extended period of time you will overheat the transfer case. I don't think this is correct because once you get moving in the sand it would be mostly on the rear tires close to highway conditions. Please post any experences of offroad use of the Denali. I would like to use it for light off road use ex(fire roads, snow, sand).
  • blackmagic1blackmagic1 Member Posts: 10
    Briandude,

I looked at and drove (even towed with) both vehicles you are considering. I tow a boat/trailer combo around the 5,000lb mark also. The 3/4 XL with the 8.1 was amazingly powerful. However, the ride (unloaded) is definitely a truck ride. For me it came down to comfort and convenience. The Denali is the best of both worlds.

As far as over heating, I just towed the trailer with a fully loaded vehicle to Lake Shasta and back (approx. 5-6hr drive ea. way) in 90 degree weather at about 65-70mph and had no over heating problems at all. The transmission temp. only moved slightly while climbing mountain passes and I had enough power to pass when needed.

This is the best, not to mention, most comfortable tow vehicle I have owned or driven IMO.

Go to a dealer who has both and drive them side by side to determine which is best for your situation.

Good Luck.
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    I have a 2001 Denali XL and have just begun towing during boating season in NJ (about 6000lbs fully loaded). Tows great however I haven't had any extreme inclines to tackle yet.

I have a boating trip to Western PA (Lake Raystown) in the last week of July. Lots of very steep and long grades and will be better able to compare to the performance of my previous 2 - 3/4 ton suburbans. One of them had a 350 ci and the other had a 7.4L (454 ci) to compare against. Will report back after that tougher and longer tow trip, however there is no comparison between the comfort features in the DXL and my older Subs.
  • lsgs97lsgs97 Member Posts: 6
    Hey there.. Anyone know what the new enhancements (if any) they are planning on the Yukon 2002 as well as the Denali? Thanks
    I do work for GM, in an assembly plant. Every day I go to the meetings to find out what is going on, and can say with confidence that if an assembly problem exists it gets worked through and fixed PDQ. If a supplier parts problems there it takes longer, but still fast in comparison to a few years ago.

I agree that when spending all that dough you shouldn't have to deal with the silly mundane stuff. I have also discovered that a good dealer is worth it's weight in gold. I had my YXL in the shop for a bad brake booster(supplier quality issue, not a build problem), it took them 3 days to look at it and 1 and 3/4 to fix it. I had a loaner immediately, but they called me on Friday and said to come and get my truck, but I was at work. I work afternoon's (4 pm - 12:30 am) and was just told if I didn't get my truck and return the loaner, it would cost me $90 for the weekend, so I had to play the car shuffle with my wife to get it squared away, what a damn pain! In either event I will NEVER go to that dealer again! Have been recommended to another dealer and if anything else fails will try them.

The customer experience is 100% in the hands of the dealer, and that is where GM lacks. GM does have some influence as to how the dealerships run, but cannot watch over them all. That is the real reason for the drive to improve quality, GM sees that if the people are not happy with the dealer service they just try the next brand vehicle. By improving the quality they keep the customer out of the dreaded clutches of the service dept., and at the same time get some bragging rights for being more trouble free that the other guys. If the dealership is competent and can get the stuff done in a reasonable amount of time with minimal inconvenience to the customer everyone is happy, and return visits and sales will continue, not to mention word of mouth advertising for the dealer, who will then enjoy a sales increase.

Just to clarify, you spent $50 K, not $50 M right?!
    M in roman numerals = 1000, though I think it's the wonderful spellchecker at work.
    Thought so, and i agree with you. Some of these dealers think the buyer is an idiot and believes everything the service writer tells them. I especially like the one where the service writer tells me, "oh, I have never seen that problem" Yea, right.
    I was in the printing business where the M means 1000. So, I meant $50,000.00
    Thanks Jim
  • larrys7larrys7 Member Posts: 35
    willardh3 - I have not got any info on 02 model changes - Waiting on info from my dealer.

Purchased a covercraft part to protect the front of my YDXL while on the highway - Great accessory for you folks to PROTECT the paint!!! Highly recommend one of these. I will not use the hood part if anyone would be interested in it. I have a Lund Interceptor.

Hope the put a larger fuel tank in next year....
    I wasn't thinking in Roman numerals. I use K for thousand, like the metric system, and M for million like MB in computer talk.

larrys7- How big is your fuel tank? I have a 38.5 gal in my YXL 2500, w/6.0L. I thought it would be on the DXL too.

Wow it got Larry happy all the sudden! LOL
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....but I'm here to announce the new GMC Yukon Owners Club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in SUVs.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    The fuel tank on the DXL is only 33 gallons, u get a larger tank on the 2500's
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
  • don4341don4341 Member Posts: 69
    Why in the hell can`t. GM fix silly little troubles such as the fact that there is interaction between turning on Fog Lights and having the rear wiper move and water spray.
    Quite a few have this problem and GM`s first three ? fixs ? did absolutely nothing. Now the famous tech assist group simply tell the dealer - we don`t have an answer for that. After three months the owners deserve a solution.

Several have taken their trucks into the dealer and "demoed" the trouble but the dealers don`t know what to do.
    This is not rocket science - some pulse is triggering the washer motor and the pump. Any decent electronic technician should be able to find this problem with a scope. Over on the GMSUV board we - I believe - have eliminated the BCM sense lead which connects to the Rear Wiper Motor Module. The next step is to check the modules ground and power feed. One of these two ckts. is the problem in my lowly opinion.
    I`m mad as hell since I was thinking about buying another Suburban or Tahoe but I am afraid that the quality of the recent designs DO NOT match that of my 1992 or my three previous Suburbans. What is worse I don`t think the factory support is very good at all, or they just don`t give a dam.
    Want a challenge - send me a current Yukon Rear Wiper Control Module and internal wiring diagram and I`ll fix your trouble.
    Don.
  • chuckee98chuckee98 Member Posts: 39
    Just caught up on some reading on this forum, probably a month or two behind. DEEJAYFRANK - did you ever get that sunroof rattle fixed? What was the cause of it and what did the dealer fix or replace? I have the same rattle in a 2001 YXL, but am hesitant on having the dealer rip apart the headliner to fix it and cause other issues. Thanks.
  • cchamccham Member Posts: 19
    I'm new in here, just picked up our DXL today and was looking at the Catchall mats. The shop wher eI looked at them really didn't seem to have a clue that the second row seats were differct from a regular Denali or Yukon. I tried to explain but didn't get real far. Has anyone found a set that works well and if so can you share the part numbers so I can get exactly the right ones. I want to cover as much of the floor/ cargo area as possible. Thanks.
    cc
  • elgato88elgato88 Member Posts: 10
    I talked to Nifty (Manufacturer) and with the help of this news group I got the part number. They have 5 piece package set for DXL(2 front,one piece second row, one piece third row, and the cargo area). The part number is 66XXX where XXX is replace with the color of the floor mat (i.e. 661238 is a grey color). As far as I can tell this is the best floor mats out there in terms of fit and looks (I've seen Husky and Weather-tech). You can get them at "www.autoaccessory.com" or "www.sportwing.com". I got mine at sportwing

The only kicker is that they don't have anything that would cover the area between the second row bucket seats (if you have second row bucket seats). In my case I have to find a scrap piece of carpet and modify it to fit in that area. Aside from that I am very happy with the mats.
    I am not quite sure what you are talking about. When I turn on my fog lights nothing happens except that the fog lights come on! When I use the rear wiper the fog lights stay on if on and off if off. I get no interaction between the two. I do believe that the real problem is rooted with the dealerships not having the brains to fix simple problems, if you replace the module with a new one and the same thing happens, it's time to look elsewhere for the root cause! The techs have no clue what is going on, and half of the dealers don't even bother looking for TSB's. My friend had a vibration problem and took it in, dealer kept charging for wheel balancing, well when I looked up the TSB's on-line(site now locked down) and printed it up, took it to the dealer they asked me what it was!!! It said GM Service Bulliten in big bold letters on the top, so how smart can they be? My first guess after a BCM replacement would be to check ALL grounds, to the wiper motor, fog lights, BCM, and all related ground block for bent or backed out connector pins. 95% of these type of problems are related to poor or no ground, the data line gets corrupted and all hell brakes loose. The GMC/Chevy customer assistance numbers do absolutely no good either, they just call the dealer to find out what is going on then feed it back to you. That my friend is a really big problem, if you get to that point and all you get is the same BS that the dealer told you, I would be furious!! Even if there is a TSB on that problem you would have to get a good dealer to eve look it up, then find a tech with some common sense to look for the obvious before blaming technology, and just throwing modules at it trying to get it right. In either event getting both in one spot will be damn near impossible. Here is what should have been a routine check of the entire abs electrical system, and they missed the first thing that should have been checked, the grounds. My wife has a S-10 at 15 K miles the ABS light and the Brake lights did not come on during the test sequence then started randomly coming on and going off while driving, took it in and dealer charged $24 for a brake inspection, and adjustment, neither of which were the cause, said it didn't come on when we had it, so it must be OK, 25 min after leaving the dealer it did it again, took it back, demanded that it be looked at immediately, and they said it is not showing any codes, so we don' know what is wrong, bring it back when the lights stay on! How can you trust a dealer like that? Took it to a 2nd dealer, got the same story, nothing is wrong. Again lights came back on. Decided to look into it my self, armed with nothing but a test light, found that the ground for the ABS pump was not there, tracked it down to the ground on the core support, loose bolt, took it back pointed it out, they tightened it and would not return the $24 fee because they did adjust the rear shoes, she backs into the drive every day, so the shoes were already adjusted. This is case in point that GM is NOT in control of what dealers do or how it is to be done. Eliminating these problems in the plant is how GM is dealing with the issue, if a problem comes up with grounds then someone is assigned to double and triple check those wires. Something as simple as that can keep the customer out of the "shop" and in the driver's seat with a big fat grin on your face. One local dealer is too cheap to send and pay for service techs out to be properly trained on the new stuff coming out, so they are just plain lost. Needless to say I have found one that does, and have never heard a bad thing about the service, everything is done right the first time. In my personal opinion, if the dealer is not willing to pay to have the techs certified then GM should pull the dealership license, that would keep them in line and trained.
  • ccpd400ccpd400 Member Posts: 12
    Read the listings about the CD changers and triple checked mine. When I start up the truck, the cd starts just where it left off when the truck was shut down. I dont know, maybe different suppliers or different generations of CD changers from the one in some of your trucks.
  • bradenbraden Member Posts: 8
    Anyone know how to make the default digital display
    on the "SIC" display the time of day instead of
    day month year?
  • mbclk430mbclk430 Member Posts: 58
    Whats wrong with telling time from your radio clock?
    Friend of mine put an K & N air filter in his Toyota Sequoia and swears that there was an immediate difference in how the engine responded. Has anyone tried it on their Denali??

Lalane
  • safe1safe1 Member Posts: 16
    Lalane: I've used K&N filters in all 3 previous SUV's ( Jimmy, Tahoe, Denali(99)) and currently use them in my '01 Denali, '92 Bonneville SSEi and 2 Harley Davidson motorcycles. In all applications I increased fuel efficiency by 2-3 mpg and found a very discernable improvement in acceleration. (I have a heavy foot.) In my opinion the K&N filter is well worth the price.
    or fuel gains. Plus they allow a lot of dirt to pass and ...well you can figure out the rest. What you will get is a lot of intake noise... If you're looking for a drop in...consider this one...

http://www.amsoil.com/products/ts.html

And no I don't sell amsoil, but have one in mine.

• kikinjkikinj Member Posts: 6
    and already a problem. We noticed oil spots in the driveway yesterday, and since we were going to the dealership anyway had them check it out. Turns out there's a leak coming from the rear main seal in the engine. They'll need the truck for 2-3 days to fix it, which requires removing the transmission to get to it. Please tell me this is not a sign of things to come!
    Kikini, I wish i could tell u what u want to hear, however with my experiences with GM, I think there is more to come. I don't know if they will ever get it right. Sorry for my pessimism, I hope i am wrong.

I have had misaligned rear doors, my drivers door lock insert fell out and could not be simply put back in, the Bose radio doesn't remember what CD it was playing when u turn the radio off, it defaults to the radio, a really irritating problem. The vinyl on the drivers headreast was not properly finished, one of the covers on the rear console for the power plug in's broke, and i have bad squeeks when opening the doors. As I have mentioned before, I hope Toyota builds a Suburban one day soon and puts GM to shame, they deserve it.
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    Just a few thoughts on the other side of the coin. I have a DXL with 5000 miles. I changed the oil at 1500 and again at 4800 miles. At the 1500 mile oil change I had the dealer align the front end. The vehicle drove straight however the steering wheel seemed off-set by about 1-2 inches. Dealer handled with no issue.

At 4800 mile oil change asked about the lumbar/bolster controls which seemed to be inadvertently inflating. Turned out the controls were being pressed as I would swing out of the seat (I weigh about 240 at 6'3"). Dealer reversed the wiring to the switch so that the inflate and deflates were reversed. Worked perfect, with no further issues.

Finally, I pointed out that the rear hatch appeared to latch properly however the dash light (cargo door ajar) would occassionally come on around turns. Dealer made an adjustment to latch which corrected this minor issue. (I watched the adjustment which was very easy if anyone is interested.)

All in all, I am very satisfied with the construction and durability so far. Towed 6000lbs over the 4th Holidays and the DXL has significantly greater "guts" to it than my previous 2500 Sub with a 7.4L.

With the exception of greater leg room in the second row seats, the addition of a Nav system and a matching spare tire and wheel, there is nothing I would change on the 2001 DXL.
    I have been so agitated since I bought my DXL about the on-star crap. It's a great idea but just needs to be integrated with a portable cell phone. I had my local cellular provider install a hands free kit for my regular cell phone and every thing is separated. They said no way can be integrated with the on-star. Apparently they were wrong.

Take a look at this company I found this morning. This supposedly works with any on-star equipped car with Nokia 5100/6100 phones and works with the radio just like on-star does.

http://www.uhltronics.com/
    Hi Pete, I too am basically happy with my 2001 DXL, however I don't believe there should be so many "LIttle Piddle" problems with fit and finish. I don't think that many problems occur with the Japanese vehicles. Now, I have never owned a Japanese vehicle, but the word i hear is generally good fit and finish. GM thinks whatever junk it puts out to market the 'Loyal GM owners' will gobble up, and they are right to some extend, but they should also have some Pride in what they manufacturer. That's my point, respect for the products they build !!!! and the people they sell these products too. That is severly lacking.....

I really hate to say this, but the American Automobile manufactures still have a Lot of Catching Up to do.
  • cchamccham Member Posts: 19
    I'm thinking of putting an Alpine DVD player in my DXL. The screen would be in the overhead behind the sunroof. Has anyone had this installed and if so any lessons learned? Thanks
  • ferraro1ferraro1 Member Posts: 44
    Hello ALL ~
    I am the proud ownwer of a 2001 Denali (Delivery Date- December 2000) and I have had the DVD/VCR put in and a pop down 5 inch LCD Screen LOVE it I Had the dealer install it before delivery i think it is best to go through GMC , I Was just Wanting to Know ,if anything is gonna be addes to the 2002 , like little improvements , have they released the 2002's yet ? I Would really Like to see GMC put in a NAVIGATION system into the Denali (with the Screen) but I know that will NEVER happen but if anyone knows what snew (If anything) for 2002 Please Post.
    Happy Denali Owner ,
    Paul
    Think that'll work?
    four wheel steering is a good idea, it will probably come out in the pickup truck line before it gets to the Suburban's
    I'd like to see more leg room in the second row of seats. And, i'd also like to know why they made the vehicle smaller than the last model years.I would like the room back that they took away..
    I just bought a K & N filter for my 2500 YXL. On the box it claims to out perform AmSoil filters. I wonder who is doing the testing. I have not installed it yet to report on addiional intake noise, but will post when I get around to replacing the old filter.

4 Wheel Steering - I just got a GMC magazine and it has the new 2002 model Sierra Denali in it, with 4 wheel steering. They are killing the C3 name and renaming the truck Sierra Denali. It has flared out bed sides to clear the wheels as they turn. I think it looks silly, they put marker lights on the fron ans rear edges of the flares. According to the mag, the flares stick out 2.5" on each side. They have it on the gmc web site, but no pict of the truck yet.
    So that's where my wife saw the name Sierra Denali. She had asked me if there was a truck named Denali and i said No, guess I was wrong. Never doubt the wife.
    was at the GMC dealership yesterday for warranty work. Spoke to the sales manager while looking at a C3. Had asked about the 4 wheel steering and he knew nothing about it. Course he doesn't read the mags only what GM sends him if even that.
    You can see the four wheel steering in use on some video clips and read all about it here:

http://www.delphiauto.com/index.cfm?location=2818