Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    It is my understanding from what I have read in many mags that the main reason companies go to the belts over chains is quietness and most people trade their rides before a new belt is needed.
    My point was that anything can happen and the poster said can't GM do anything right. Ok they had a problem but I don't remember reading that they were having problem after problem like they tried to make us think. At least it was a easy fixable problem and the frame didn't rust out making it an unsafe vehicle. Who knows maybe they got the belt from a foreign manufacturer like Toyota. My wife's STS had a nav problem twice and who makes the nav unit. A company partly owned by Toyota. So do I mouth off and say can't GM do anything right or do I take it as it's a vehicle with thousands of parts and the odds are something will go wrong during the 4 year warranty and does GM stand behind it and fix it or say tough luck. If I'm going to blame GM I blame them for using junk made by Toyota instead of a better made product.
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    Beware of trolls . Do not take statements of trolls seriously.
  • ajl1223ajl1223 Member Posts: 13
    13000 miles on the 2008 cts and the power driver seat decided not to work yesterday.this will be the second major item on this car to be a problem. [First being the replacement of the head at 1800 miles. Discussed in an earlier post]. Also i get a squeak coming from interior, sounds like it is in the back seat area, I know this has been mentioned in other post, how was that problem solved?? It is a shame in that I really like the car, but I am glad it is a lease, went back to GM after 24 years and leased this vehicle and it saddens me to say that I probably will not come back to GM.
  • pony00pony00 Member Posts: 10
    I just bought a used 08 CTS DI and generally love the car. The moonroof is making a constant sound when I drive it. It isn't leaking, it just sounds like it's open when it's not. The back right speaker also sounds like it's blown or rattling which shouldn't happen with a Bose sound system. The nav squeeks when I turn the car on and it raises up out of the dash, but only does it when it's hot out. The car is at the dealer right now being looked at.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had these issues? I saw someone had a leaking sunroof, did it make a noise before it started leaking?

Thanks for your help! This is my first cadillac so any advice/expertise would be appreciated! :)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Why is there no CTS between the 3.6 DI at just over 300 HP, but only 273 TQ
    and the CTS-v at 500+ HP & TQ??

Or [ perhaps more relevant ] why shouldn’t there be?

Particularly with the demise of the ‘other’ V8 RWD GM Sport Sedan – the G8 GT that I now drive – there really seems to be an opportunity here for Caddy to further expand the CTS line. And generate more sales – in a segment that they appear to be aiming at: The Premium Sport Sedan market.

I firmly believe that a CTS with the upgraded wheel & tire package and suspension upgrades [ as available on the ‘regular’ CTS ] with either the corporate 6.0L or 6.2L V8 and 6L80 automatic trans. and a price between the top \ ‘fully loaded’ CTS and the CTS-v would sell. And not be immensely expensive or time-consuming to develop, engineer & start producing.

A fully loaded [ everything except AWD ] CTS is almost $53K.
    [ See below ]

. . but, it seems to me that a well equipped, performance oriented
    [ and minus sunroof & navigation system ]
    CTS at just under $50K
    plus a real “American” V8 –
    but still priced well below the CTS-v,
    would actually sell quite well.

The price gap between that ‘performance oriented’ CTS @ $49K-ish and the CTS-v at $61K is [ obviously ] about $12K.
    And I expect that a [ relatively ] off-the-shelf drivetrain transplant \ upgrade to a 360 HP 6.0L V8 or 400 HP 6.2L V8 and big TQ could be accomplished with [ again, relatively ] minimal effort.
    And an MSRP bump of no more than $5K or $6K.

And the result of implanting a normally aspirated V8 into the CTS ought to be a very quick
    [ noticeably quicker than the CTS V6 DI that I test drove ]
    & well-balanced RWD performance sedan.
    With some level of sophistication - above my G8 GT.
    It would likely require a lower GGT than the CTS-v,
    would deliver better ‘real world’ gas mileage.
    I believe that it could have an MSRP of $54K to $55K
    - and an actual transaction price around $52K or $53K.
    The 2010 BMW 550i [ V8, 360 HP ] MSRP w/dest. = just over $61K.

Would this constitute a ‘cut rate BMW’?

Regardless - This would seriously interest ME.
    [ For one. ]
    As an eventual replacement for my G8 GT . . .

Someone tell me the flaw[s] in this idea?
    YMMV.
    - Ray
    Happy, for now, with the G8 GT - but . . .
    = = =

2010 Cadillac CTS
    Premium 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

+ Y43 Summer Tire Performance Pkg
    & destination =
    approx. $52,800.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    I think the main problem is that such a car would wipe out most of the sales of the CTS-V.
    Possibly -
    though BMW
    [ the apparent 'target' here ]
    certainly seems to do just fine
    with 2 different 6 cylinder 5 series sedans,
    a V8
    [ comparable to the GM LS2 \ LS3 ]
    and an M5...
    - Ray
    NOT a Marketing Genius.....
    2022 X3 M40i
    Another thought, in order to put in another engine or even a varation of one of the current engines they have to jump through all the paperwork etc. with the EPA etc. plus testing which I bet could/would cost millions and for what? Just a small minority of people would be interested in this as more and more are going to mpg and it would also go against their mpg record that must be over so many mpg for the company. So don't hold your breath.
    The development, testing & certifications costs would be in the millions, I am sure.
    True enough.
    I don’t believe that any of the Detroit 3 can do anything for less than millions.

OTOH: The development costs for the CTS-v, MSRP only [ only? ] about $12K over the loaded \ performance oriented CTS, must have been many, many millions. For a much more limited market than I see for a n/a V8 CTS such as I am proposing. My point is that the R&D costs for this would be MUCH smaller than they were for the CTS-v. Production costs would clearly be much lower than the CTS-v, as well. So GM \ Caddy ought to be able to actually fatten margins here.

If GM needs anything [ nearly ] as much as increased sales, seems to me that is: Stopping the erosion of margins.

The coupe & wagon versions of the CTS likely also cost way more than this would cost.

I just think that those who really want a BMW M5 killer will still buy the CTS-v. I seriously doubt there would be much, if any, cannibalization of sales here from the CTS-v.

But those who want more HP & TQ than that DI V6 –
    [ not a bad motor, but does not provide quick acceleration
    & certainly does not provide
    the effortless delivery of low end TQ that many prefer ]
    but who really don’t need the CTS-v’s 12 second quarter mile times
    and they would be pleased to give up a significantly smaller incremental loss in MPG, compared to the CTS-v
    & they would be happy to pay a much smaller GGT -
    in order to drive something like
    my hypothetical n/a V8 “CTS GT”.

It would offer much better acceleration than any V6 CTS, and not nearly as much increase in cost as the step up to a CTS-v.
    My sense is that the top line DI V6 CTS
    [ again, I consider it a nice car & good effort by Caddy ]
    just is not capable of delivering the acceleration typically expected by many [ including me ] of a $40K+ Luxury Sport Sedan.

The fuel economy difference is actually a significant portion of the ‘business case’ I’d make here.
    CTS DI auto = 18 \ 27
    CTS-v auto = 12 \ 18
    My ** GUESS ** is that a CTS GT could likely be closer to G8 GT or Camaro SS \ V8 automatic levels:
    Camaro SS automatic = 16 \ 25.
    My G8 GT = 15 \ 24.
    That would be rather noticeably better
    [ 25% better for city and 33%+ better for hiway ]
    than the CTS-v.
    That’s a lot, seems to me.

This would also bring Caddy more nearly into line with the scope of GM \ Chevy’s Camaro – versions with V6, V8 and
    [ it now appears likely, in a couple of years ]
    a ‘Top Gun’ version = supercharged V8,
    likely to be called the Z28.

In addition to BMW [ see above ] Mercedes offers 6 cylinder versions of their comparably sized sedans, a normally aspirated V8, and an [ AMG branded ] Super Sedan.

If Caddy’s strategy for their sedans is Sport \ Performance, as well as Luxury –
    then I just think they ought to do something like this –
    to complete the CTS line’s powertrain offerings.
    And I do think a realistic business case could be made.

YMMV.
    - Ray
    No, certainly NOT holding my breath . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    I had thought that another CTS (CTS Sport?) with a hotter engine between the CTS-V and the 3.6 DI wouldn't be a bad thing. The problem is that once you compare it to a BMW 550i at $61K, you're already in CTS-V pricing territory. So for the same money, you could have a vehicle that completely spanks the 550i (the CTS-V already bests the M5 in every review I've ever seen). Combine that with the reality of GM and the approaching new CAFE standards. GM terminated the new V8 Northstar awhile ago (that was all but finished). You could drop in the 400 HP OHV Chevy V8 used in the Corvette and the Camaro but again, proper pricing would be an issue and it wouldn't help GM's overall CAFE scores. But it's a cheap engine and plentiful at GM. I'm sure somebody has thought about it long and hard.

Another alternative would be making a turbo version of the 3.6 engine. You could probably hop that up to 400 HP and get better mileage than the Chevy V8. But the MPG difference might not offset the price increase that engine would cost over the Chevy smallblock.

Could either scenario happen? Sure. Will it happen? I dunno....odds are against it right now.
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    I just received the '09 navigation system update disk for my '08 CTS. Here's the rub; when I tried to use the disk to update my nav system it asked for an authorization code before it would begin the update. There was no authorization code anywhere on the disk, in the case or on the shipping papers. I called Helm, the company that ships the disk for GM. They plead ignorance of anything other than collecting cash and shipping. I called the dealer, their tech said he knew nothing of an authorization code.

I am leaving on a extended trip from L.A. to Austin Texas this weekend, so I will not be able to do anything until I return, as even if I find out what to do, with a three hour estimated update time I will not risk a system failure while I am out of town on a trip.

If anyone has had experience with this, or knows anything about this, I would appreciate any information you can provide about the mysterious authorization code, or how to obtain it, or whom to contact about it.
  • zydecomanzydecoman Member Posts: 7
    I recently purchased a 2008 CTS with about 9,000 miles. The nav system is really good, but does anyone know whether it provides voice-guided, turn-by-turn directions?
  • artmbgolfartmbgolf Member Posts: 57
    I agree with you that there should be a performance CTS between the CTS DI and the CTS-V. Even if the V6 could be bumped up to 350HP, that would be enough for those who want a little more than standard, but don't want the cost, MPG insurance, etc issues of the V.

Seeing no dealers stocking the FE3 option, there must not be much of a demand for more performance in the CTS. I see lots of Luxury versions in stock, just to keep the cost down. A 2010 CTS is now about $8,000 more than a simliar equiped 2007, so sticker shock (besides economy) is hurting CTS sales, along with the low lease residual of 42% (10k), compared to 56% in 2007.

It looks like the CTS Coupe will be more perf oriented and geared towards those who want more sport than the CTS Sedan. Hopefully they will have some more HP in the Coupe, with FE3 and at least the Recaro seats optional. I feel Cadillac should do their own version of a Recaro seat and cut the cost of that option.
    I purchased an update for my 2008 CTS navigation system, but the Authentication code, provided with the disk, which is required to start the update was incorrect. I have been unable to get a satisfactory solution from any arm of GM that I have called. The people who provided the disk say they only sell it and do not know anything about an Authentication or access or activation code.

My dealers electronic tech called and was told the code could only be provided to the owner. I called twice and both times was cut of while on hold while someone was researching the problem. No one called me back although both had asked me for my number before putting me on hold.

I am getting very frustrated with Cadillac. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to deal with this subject. A phone number for someone high enough in management or sales to bring some pressure on this situation would also be appreciated.
    Is this who you contacted:

- GM Navigation Disc Center 1-877-628-3472

- The GM Navigation Disc Center is also the center of expertise for navigation system questions.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    09 CTS owner here, the NAV should give you voice turn by turn directions...if that is what you are referring too..now if you mean voice activated....that is a different story depending on what you are doing...

you may need to hit the config button and turn the audio up on for the NAV system
  • miko99miko99 Member Posts: 5
    I bought a 2008 and had the same problem it seems they set the volume to zero from the factory and the previous reply is correct that you can adjust it in the configuration mode.
    There is a Navigation instruction manual available on line in PDF format for free at the Cadillac owners site, also the Owners manual is available there.
    Thanks Pao and Miko. I went into the Config menu like you suggested and was able to fix the problem. I appreciate the advice.
  • lenlagasselenlagasse Member Posts: 2
    I do have sound on my nav guidance. However, just took it in for work and now the volume is too low. I have checked config and master volume is set to max. Any hints?
  • lenlagasselenlagasse Member Posts: 2
    It appears sound volume was lowered as a function of replacement of the XM module. Unit has been reprogrammed and sound is now excellent. Dealer was very helpful.
  • bren2306bren2306 Member Posts: 1
    My CTS SUCKS in the snow too. If there is 2 in.or more of the stuff on
    the ground I'm stuck. Lord forbid if you have to stop in the stuff and your on a incline, its like "I think I can, I think I can" as you sit and your tires spin and th back end wants to fish tale on you. The wheels get no traction AT ALL... ("TRACTION INGAGED") what does that mean?.. LOL I have all wheather
    Bridgestone tires on it right now and by no means are they cheap tires. You took the words right out of my mouth..... I am ready to get rid of it.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    are no substitute for actual dedicated snow tires.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    all weather tires arent meant to pull you thru much more that 2 or 3 inches of snow at best......as was mentioned dedicated snow tires are the only way to go in greater amounts......dont blame the car.........beleive the traction engaged is a traction control feature giving the power to the wheels that are gripping vice those spinning.....
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    I have the opportunity to take over the remaining 15 months of a prepaid lease on a 2008 Cadillac CTS 4WD. The VIN is 1G6DS57V980212081. I am curious which engine this car has and any other info the VIN may tell. The window sticker is not available, but the lease agreement indicates the MSRP was $45.5K. Car has 11.5K miles with 45K allowance.

The car is red metallic with beige leather. The car needs some cosmetic repair to the two rear wheel areas and the rear bumper where the former (now deceased) driver evidently scraped/hit underground parking lot poles. One of the chrome wheels is scraped. The interior needs a good detailing, but otherwise, the car seems to be complete. It drives really well. All services have been done and are up to date.

The car has the full panoramic sunroof, wood trim, BOSE, from what I could see. It's a nice car, and I would like to someday have a Cadillac. This might be the time, depending upon the cost to repair the cosmetic damage and detail the interior.

The estate guardian is getting an estimate for the repair that I would have to bear to assume the prepaid lease. Lease expires June 2011. Residual value on paperwork is $27K. I would consider negotiating purchase (not at that price) at the end of the lease, if I go through with the transaction.

I wonder if somehow the deceased's car insurance could cover the damage?

I would appreciate any assistance, advice, guidance to help me with this. Thanks in advance.
  • beerme1beerme1 Member Posts: 67
    I would. With the sticker at 45k you can rest assured it is a di engine. You may not want to buy the car though if you've got the opportunity tto put 45k on it 15 months ;) What is the monthly payment?
    I would think that the deceased ins. should cover the damage but that is a very interesting point.
    Lease is prepaid through June 2011. My cost would be cosmetic repairs now or when I turn car in when lease expires in June 2011. I drive about 12K per year, so car would have 22K or so miles in June 2011. Just getting broken in!

So, if cosmetic repair was $1500 and add lease transfer fee of $500, $2K to drive a loaded CTS 4WD for 15 months seems like the deal to me.
  • beerme1beerme1 Member Posts: 67
    If the lease is pre paid I dont understand why you're asking? even if there's 3k worth of damage. Actually let me dissuade you from this car completely. In fact can you give me the name of the executor I will take care of it. My god I thought you were talking about assuming payments. If it is pre paid and you end up spending 3k to fix it you are driving it for free. What is the phone number please?
    Willy
    Estate rep is having car damage repairs made and pursue insurance payment. Then I'll assume car for $$$ payment; should be couple of weeks. If I change my mind, I'll let you know. ;)

It is interesting how many people are not interested at all in this car. Mosting import drivers (BMWers, Mercedes folks). Not me, I'm GM all the way!

This will be my first Caddy and I'm psyched about it.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited March 2010
    This will be my first Caddy and I'm psyched about it.

Most people have really enjoyed their CTSs. There were some issues the first couple of years with differentials, and one of the engines tends to use some oil. Given that most people never check their oil, once an engine is a quart low, the second one goes much faster and the third quicker yet. Before long, the engine's toast.

Check your oil regularly & I bet you'll enjoy the car for many many miles.

Good luck. :)
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jrceejrcee Member Posts: 6
    Sounds like a great deal. Just look at the trunk lid and it should have an emblem that says 3.6 Direct Injection. I have a 2009 red CTS with pretty much everything and it sounds like this one does too. I love mine. I've had it for 14 months and have 12k miles on it. No problems other than a couple of minor technical service bulletins. Go for it. :shades:
    I recall seeing that emblem now that you mention it. Not sure about all the equipment/options on the car, but I'll try and get a print out of that from the selling/leasing dealership. It appears to be pretty much loaded, other than no navi or 6-CD changer. From a distance, car is beautiful in the red with the chrome wheels; you have to get fairly close to see the scrapes. Once its repaired...it should really shine!

I appreciate the encouragement, and look forward to driving it.
    I appreciate the advice. The selling/leasing dealership has a stellar reputation for repair work. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the oil. About 75-80 percent of my driving is highway, so I normally change oil between 4-5K miles. I am good about regular service on my cars, and the Caddy will be no exception.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm looking forward to lots of seat time.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Just make 1000% sure that it's got a clear title. Otherwise it'll be worthless down the road and they'll play games with you.
  • docstephensdocstephens Member Posts: 1
    The split iPod cable for my 2008 Cadillac CTS is wearing out and does not connect everytime. The car has 40,000 miles and the iPod is connected and disconnected 2 to 6 times a day. How can I acquire a new one? The dealer was not able to get one for me and suggested I try the Internet. I've been unable to find one anywhere.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    This is common with many cars due to vibration and wearing connectors. They wear out quickly. The best fix that I know of is a simple velcro strap to tie it down in place securely.
  • bekins2bekins2 Member Posts: 29
    Just bought a 2008 CTS 4 with 5300 and a GM 36000 3yr bumper to bumper warranty anything to look out for? Is the AWD a really good thing in winter? Also goin to put on Contintel 235/50/18 tire after shoppin aruond they seem the best.Live in Chicago lots of snow
    Thankx all
  • ctshadafloodctshadaflood Member Posts: 21
    The all wheel drive is actually a good thing on that car The warranty will save your savings Good move

To bad on my 08 CTS the drive shaft fell out. After 2 suits with GM and 34 actual documented breakdowns, i am out. Between myself and my Dad we had 15 Cadillacs over the last 30 years. I will always be a cadillac lover. But truthfully Gm went bankrupt way before this crash. 100 years and we still cant make it right here in America. I bought an Infiniti and when i sit it and drive it i say" now why couldnt we make a car like this in America"? and even more sad its the best move i ever made.
    I am a bit confused by the "GM 36000 3yr bumper to bumper warranty" statement.
    Caddy in 2008 [ like now ] has a B2B 4\50,000 wty.

"Basic: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi.
    Drivetrain: 5 yr. / 100,000 mi."

And only 5,300 miles on a 2008?
    Odd...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • jgaffney1jgaffney1 Member Posts: 41
    My drive shaft fell out back in October and they couldnt get one until December!
    I refused to pay my 2 months payment and they put me in collections.......I then paid and fought with those [non-permissible content removed] for months....in the end they gave me one month payment back.

ALSO...when the car was ready 2 months later...it had been hit in the dealership so back to the dealers body shop it went.....Lucky I noticed the quarter panel the day I picked it up or they would have never believed me.

I had 2 caddys....I have one left. This one goes back in Feb and I'm getting a JEEP.
    Screw Caddy....they really blew every opertunity to make things right.

I didnt cause the drive shaft to fall out.....
    They said it was never tightened when installed.
    I didnt cause the 2 month parts back up.....and hit my car....and tell me to pound salt when I asked for my two months car payment.

They can go jump in a lake..
    im sorry 53000 miles not 5300 its a gm warranty bump-bump 36000 or 3 yrs 100.00 deduct says i can bring to any GM bought it from a Chevy dealer any BAD things to look forward to? i figured most of what would go wrong probaly has,the carfax shows 1st ownner took it to Caddy for all the maint till now when he traded for a Vette
    Thanks for the info,sorry for you.Can you tell me the mileage when it started to go bad? My post said 5300 miles its 53,000 miles and i LOVE Caddye too! I was one of the idiots!!!!!!!!!!! that bought the diesel in 1980 talk about a nitemare! Send shivers down my neck!
    Does anyone know how to get a nav manual? Caddy doesnt seem to want to help
    Thanks
    Write to:

Helm, Incorporated
    P.O. Box 07130
    Detroit, MI 48207

Or call:

1-800-551-4123

The bar code on the back of the 2008 CTS Navigation System Manual is

25813124 B

Good luck.
    Does anyone know how to tell if a 2008 CTS has bluetooth installed. I have a late 2008 which was built at about the time that bluetooth was made standard but there is no identification that bluetooth is built in.
  • pony00pony00 Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone had any issues with rattling speakers? It almost sounds like the speaker is blown, but it's not. I already took it to one dealership (they were less than helpful) and they said that a lot of customers have had the issue but they can't pinpoint the problem. Great!

Has anyone had this fixed and if so what did they do? Thanks so much!!

2008 CTS DI owner :)
    Thank You
    Al
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Pony00,
    How long have you had this concern? Do you currently have a case and if so, what is the case number? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service