Options

Jeep Liberty Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• Options
    srlmalsrlmal Member Posts: 2
    HELP! I bought an '07 Liberty used barely a month ago and among other things gone wrong, there's a scratchy noise coming from the fan vents when turned on any setting. The noise seems to come more from the passenger side. The blower motor has been replaced twice under warranty. The 2nd time was today and the noise was gone when I drove it home. A couple hours later, I drove somewhere else and it was back like it never went away. The noise doesn't get louder or faster on higher fan speeds. It does, however, seem to be quieter when blowing cold air. I realize it's a mere nuisance, but it's a nuisance none the less. Any suggestions or related problems? :confuse:
  • Options
    dhastingsdhastings Member Posts: 1
    After removing the screws, wiggle the casing left & right until you have some finger space on the side of the casing toward the tailgate. With both hands, give it a few good tugs toward the outside of the vehicle. You'll hear a crack and think you've broken it, but it's just the sound of the rivet heads popping out of the holes in the body. It takes a pretty good amount of force to get the cover to pop.
  • Options
    tjb2tjb2 Member Posts: 7
    My interior lights flash on and off periodically. Of course, the dealer says that they could not duplicate it, despite it happening nearly every day. Any ideas?
  • Options
    caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Mine does the same thing sometimes. I guess it's the computer again...
  • Options
    ajbellajbell Member Posts: 2
    I have also had problems with my interior lights randomly flashing on my '05 Liberty Sport - but only once a month or so. My air bag light has been flashing as well. I'm taking it to be looked at, but if anyone has any suggestions I'm open....
  • Options
    on intermittently. Sometimes it is a flash, sometimes the lights stay on for a couple of seconds. I think it is symptomatic of a larger problem, but the dealer is useless..

Any help would be appreciated...
  • Options
    srlmalsrlmal Member Posts: 2
    I've heard other makes and models from friends stating if the gas cap isn't clicked 3 times when locking it does a weird interior light flash. I've never encountered it myself with my Liberty, but I notice is states to do so on the gas cap. Not sure why it would even be related to eachother, but my friends said it solved their problem..... :confuse:
  • Options
    Thank you so much. That is so weird. It seems everything is attributed to the gas cap, including the reason for my engine light coming on. I wil try it though, and let you know how I do.

Thanks again...
  • Options
    bertram38bertram38 Member Posts: 1
    I keep blowing fuses for the brake, taillights
  • Options
    wpatrickwpatrick Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 and tried the same thing, installed the module but there must be more to it then that. did antone every get back to you with any help??
    thanks wpatrick
  • Options
    f1nst3rf1nst3r Member Posts: 3
    I have a check engine light and recenty recieved a auto diagnosis deal and looked it up. Apparently my TPS is faulty so I went and bought a new one. To save from buying an entire service manual yet, could anyone tell me (a layman) where I can find this part? In the engine compartment? Near gas pedal? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rick
  • Options
    jeepgirl05jeepgirl05 Member Posts: 14
    I just noticed this the other day, my Liberty has the kind of door locks that lock after you hit a certain speed. Ok, right after they lock, I hear this short beep like noise. I think it's the locks, but could be something else, its only on the drivers side door well thats where it sounds like its coming from anyway. Could this mean the locks are going to go wacko? It's an 05 diesel.
    Thanks,
    jeepgirl
  • Options
    By the way in case anyone looks this up. Its located just behind your Airfilter deal on the throttle unit. Easy to see and change out. Will have some wires in it, and if you pull the little red thing out, and pinch it, it will pull out.

Thanks Edmunds
  • Options
    gaporrasgaporras Member Posts: 4
    The Throttle Position Sensor is located at the air intake manifold throttle assembly. If you follow the air intake (hose, duct) from the top of the engine to where it meets the manifold, you will see where the throttle cables attach to the throttle body intake ( you can manually rev the engine with the assembly). If you look in this area, you should be able to see the part attached to the throttle assembly and exchange it.

The information I am giving you is based on where I have known them to be on every fuel injected vehicle I have owned. If anyone knows how to better explain this or knows this to be inaccurate, please post a correction otherwise, it should be quick part exchange. Good Luck, I hope this info helped.

G
  • Options
    Just a guess...One of my Jeeps is a 2005 Liberty, not diesel but most other features will be mostly the same. I was surprised by a "beep" or tone soon after the automatic door locks engaged at 15 mph or higher. Turned out it was the automatic tire sensor warning me tire pressures weren't identical all the way around. Even after checking all four tire pressures, I couldn't find the problem until I remembered to check the pressure on the spare tire. Adding some air to the spare tire solved the beep. I still get it during wide outdoor temperature swings at season changes but I usually check all FIVE tire pressures regularly. Just one idea that it may not be door locks but that tire pressure tone goes off at about the same speed that engages the door locks.
  • Options
    xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    I have a 08 Liberty Sport 2wd.My question is does anybody know how not to have the headlights on when you use remote to unlock or lock doors.I checked the manual and the directions didnt work.I asked the dealer,and they dont know.It does not have the EVIC.Plus how to stop the horn from going off when you lock it.Thanks
  • Options
    kleinhkzkleinhkz Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a brand new 2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7 4WD last November. It now has 19,000miles on it. I haven’t had many problems other than a blower motor recall, however, the past couple days the warning chime has randomly been going off. It has occurred while stopped & waiting to turn, while slowing down, and while driving; so I don’t see any relation to its occurrence and the vehicle’s motion. Once, I noticed that one of the warning lights flashed on & off so quickly that I could barely figure out which light it was. I’ve only noticed the flashing warning lights once, but have only been having problems for a couple days now. I noticed that 1 other person posted a similar problem. Has any one else experienced this, or have recommendations for what could be wrong?
  • Options
    I would hook a diagnosis machine up and see if any codes are showing. Im thinking that you are getting a warning but the engine light may be faulty, or just not illuminating.
  • Options
    jrcaljrjrcaljr Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem and just had it fixed under warranty. The main computer is faulty. All of the warning lights will flash randomly one at a time at about once every 5-15 minutes. The chime is for the Gas Cap warning which lights up in the odometer. Most of these warnings just flash once and by the time you look down at the dash to see which one it was, the light is off.

The dealer has to order the new computer with the mileage of your vehicle programmed in it, so no one can drive the vehicle until the part is replaced.
  • Options
    kleinhkzkleinhkz Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'm now at the mercy of the dealer. Approximately how long was your jeep out of commission?
  • Options
    jkernjkern Member Posts: 1
    I noticed that when I remotely opened my 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade that right front signal did not work. I replaced the turn signal bulbs for the right front and rear. I then replaced the #9 10-amp fuse, and the right turn signal worked for about 10 minutes, then stopped. The left front and rear turn signals work, and they operate when the emergency flashers are activated, but the right side does not work.

Do Jeeps have a separate flasher control that I have been unable to locate?

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks
  • Options
    walter2005walter2005 Member Posts: 1
    Interior lights remain on after all doors are closed and engine started in my 05. Odometer will display when door is opened so I assume switch is ok. Any ideas??
  • Options
    Try to rotate the ring below light switch/button by 1 increment.
  • Options
    cmooney05cmooney05 Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriends Liberty began acting weird today. The power door locks, headlights, windshield wipers, and speedometer stopped working today. I tried checking the fuses with no luck, as they all looked good and I tried replacing a few. Also, I tried other electrical items in the car: turn signals, four-ways, brake lights, interior lights, and radio all work.

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    wpatrickwpatrick Member Posts: 4
    You checked the fuses, but did you check the circuit breakers? Look in the owners manual for location and units protected by them.
  • Options
    angelprideangelpride Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2006 Jeep Liberty with 19k miles. I had the same exact problem exactly 1yr ago. They reprogrammed the computer and all was good till today. It started doing the same exact thing. Binging, then Gas Cap Light, 5 minutes later, Binging the Temp/Trans Light, 5 minutes later Binging, then Engine Light flashes. Took it in and they said the computer needs to be replaced. They told me it does not effect driveability so I was able to drive it. They said it will take 2 days for the computer to come in and they will call me and then I can bring my Jeep back and they can replace it in an hour or so. However, I am now concerned because I saw the post that said they have to program it with the miles currently on the vehicle. Could it be that they will program it when they put it in, or should I not be driving this vehicle.

If someone could let me know, I would really appreciate it.

Angelpride
  • Options
    myrepairmyrepair Member Posts: 1
    The speedometer will drop out if the speed sensor is shorted. More common problem than admitted, most dealers are honest and unaware of how simple this is and will do the right thing and sell you a computer board,
    The design flaw is that Jeep mounted the speed sensor (one of three) connector on the top of the differential housing (two wires harness with plug connector) so that the emergency brake cable crosses it and may chafe through it and short it, or even better, the wire itself can green-wick and corrode especially with road salt. this will cause a failure which appears to be the computer but of course is a simple failure to provide information to the board and zippo-nada! Big bucks for this simple problem that will make the car run irradic and even fail to start on damp days. Cure is to cut back the bad wire section to solid good wire is found and strip and solder in a harness/plug kit from the dealer/factory order ($18.96 for a small plug with two wire leads), seal well with tape made for the job. Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi myrepair,
    I explained in post # 612 of the "Jeep Liberty Diesel" thread that the speedometer sensor should be underneath the hand brake cable ;)

I remember I had a helmet with me that day, and I used this keyword to do my search.

We have a nice service here with Edmunds, don't we :blush:
  • Options
    smith8415smith8415 Member Posts: 1
    Ihave a 2002 jeep liberty my brake lights won't light up already changed bulbs and brakelight switch any suggestions?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    check the fuse

If okay, check for current at the brake light switch.

If okay, check for current at the connector (plug-in) at the tail light.

If fuse is good and you have current to the sockets just before they plug into the tail light assembly, then it must be some circuit board in the tail light assembly.

If there is no current back that far, but you did get current at the brake light switch, then it's time to start ripping up the carpeting and trunk panels to look for a break, or bad coupler.
  • Options
    crackchasercrackchaser Member Posts: 4
    Okay whizzes. Got one for you. I posted this over for all the diesel-heads in that forum but got no bites, so let's see what you wire-twisters can come up with. I've got a diesel liberty with 30K miles on it. It's lived in Texas its whole life but I recently relocated to Chicago. It's seen more rain in three months than in its whole life (and I'm freezing my you know what off too). Rained a bit yesterday and this morning it was drizzling when I went to start it up, the starter just started to crank and then within about 1/2 second stopped. All the electrical cut-out...there was nothing on anywhere. I jiggled the shifter and steering wheel. I tried to operate the key fob to see if it would work...nothing. While I was sitting in the car, convincing myself that riding the motorcycle to work (a 1 hour commute) was a bad idea, and debating what towing service to call I heard an audible click (like a relay firing) and voila, juice to everything (clue = the clock on the radio). However all of the preset radio stations had reset along with the clock reading midnight. I then had no problems starting. This is the first time it has done this. Anybody have any ideas why and whether this is going to continue?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check your distributor cap, ignition coil and spark plug wires for signs of condensation and or cracking. I'm making a wild guess here but it could be that those elements may have small cracks in them due to the dry weather in texas. Chicago's climate can lead to condensation which seeps through the cracks.

Anyone else have any ideas?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    sticking relay. Get out the wiring diagram or go buy one and find out which relay has control of the ignition switch circuit.
  • Options
    crackchasercrackchaser Member Posts: 4
    Gents...thanks for your responses. Question regarding the relay: would it make sense that it would "reset" itself as I described...that seemed odd to me.

Here is the newest development. Weather conditions: rain last night, cool today (in the 50's) but not raining. Today I got stranded..turned the key and before the starter could crank, I lost all electrical power. Waited 5 minutes and then nothing reset. A guy came and jumped me and voila, the car started and I have subsequently started and stopped several times with no issues. I did take the car to Sears and had the battery checked, and their checker (for what it is worth....a cheap $13 investment) indicated that the battery was fine.

I found it odd that a jump start could get me going. And the clock reset immediately then, so I know the previous "relay reset" i heard did not occur when we were futzing around getting the cars nose-to-nose. In my mind, if a jump start can get me going, doesnt that imply the battery is crapped out? Does this give anyone any more clues....

I don't want to take an intermittent thing like this to the Jeep dealer. They'll keep the car for a week and not do anything....
  • Options
    Check your battery post for corrosion,and may want to clean them..When you jumped the battery, the extra voltage could have given you a better connection.With moisture from the rain could have given you a bad connection.So I would check all connections,plus the starter connection.Good Luck.
  • Options
    Given this new info, I would suggest checking your battery cables on BOTH ends for corrosion.

A jump start could give the extra voltage needed to push past the resistance created by corrosion.

But also, it could help to energize a balky relay, which might also have resistance due to corrosion, etc.
  • Options
    rhayterrhayter Member Posts: 2
    I need this plug kit for my 2002 Liberty speedometer. Do you have the part number? My local Jeep Dealer could not find a wiring kit and said that I would need to replace the whole wiring harnass. Thanks
  • Options
    rschopperrschopper Member Posts: 2
    My speedometer quit and the malfunction light came on at the same time any idea's?
  • Options
    rschopperrschopper Member Posts: 2
    will this cause the malfunction light to come on?
  • Options
    I think you have a speed sensor problem,and that will turn on your malfunction light.
  • Options
    rhayterrhayter Member Posts: 2
    Problem Solved:
    I had two problems, bad speed sensor on the rear differential housing AND bad wiring connection to the speed sensor. The connection had corroded through causing the sensor to short out too.
    GOOD NEWS: ;)
    Chrysler has a repair kit to fix the wiring connection issue -
    Part # 05013995AA
    This repair kit includes new connection and long wiring leads to ensure that the wiring does not chaff against the emergency cable housing. I also covered the leads in shrink tubing and a plastic housing (Both found at Auto Zone) to further protect the wiring. The kit is about $22.00 at Chysler and the sensor set me back about $40.00 also from Chysler.
    The dealer wanted to charge me over $300 to fix this issue. :cry:
  • Options
    If I understand correctly, the issue that was described to me 5 years ago is still up to date: the emergency brake cable housing needs to be above the electrical cable going to the sensor. Jeep assembly line engineers knew about this and didn't take corrective action.
  • Options
    matrix2matrix2 Member Posts: 3
    the needle on my speedometer is stuck at zero and malfunction light is on twice my jeep had shut off while driving and the needle on the rpm reads between 0 and 1
    any ideas?
  • Options
    tlivingstontlivingston Member Posts: 1
    I'm pretty sure it is not tire sensors. I have a 2002 Dodge Neon and a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan neither of which have tire sensors. I bought them both new (still have them) and occasionally they will beep when the doors lock at 15 mph. I have never been able to identify why this happens. I asked around the office today and a co-worker with a Jeep Liberty said hers car does this too. It must be a Chrysler thing. So I've been googling around for an answer and found this recent post. If anyone could explain what causes this I'd appreciate it.
  • Options
    bu2pbu2p Member Posts: 1
    I've also experienced the same problem. My abs and brake light comes on. If I was using the cruise control, it kicks out but can be re-engaged. The speedometer still works but the odometer quits tracking mileage, although the display still shows that last reading prior to the abs light appearance.

I pushed on the connector that plugs into the abs unit under the dash, and the lights many times will go out once I start driving again. They may stay out for many miles and then reappear again. Usually pushing on the connector will cure the problem again for awhile.

I want to disconnect the connector and check-out the contacts, but can't seem to figure out how to disconnect it.
  • Options
    dawniredskinsdawniredskins Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I have a similar problem... when my doors lock at 15mph, an audible double beep happens, no lights come on. This is a new problem, ever since the Chrysler engineer came out to 'see if any of my problems really existed'...they fixed 3 of 4 windows that day! It is not the tires... I just got a flat and it is still happening, besides, I do not have that option on my liberty. If you find out what it is, please let us know... I am dying to let the dealership and the brainiac engineers know!!
    thanks!! :-)
  • Options
    drosdros Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004/5 Cherokee (Liberty) that will not start. Dash lights come on when the ignition is on and then go out after a few seconds. This is normal but I also get 4 warning chimes which is not normal. In starting position nothing happens. I have temporarily manged to start the car by toching a jump wire from the starter solonoid up to the battery. Any assistance would be appreciated in determining the cause and fix for this problem. Maybe the P/N automatic transmission lock? If so where is the switch and is it easy to adjust?

Douglas (Leuven, Belgium)
  • Options
    boats3boats3 Member Posts: 42
    Does anyone have any feed back on the power mirrors not working properly. My interior switch, at best, only works if I press down. Has anyone experienced this and how did you fix it?
  • Options
    ladysandersladysanders Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty that has recently started to shut off on its own. I was driving to work and all of a sudden the engine light came on, the steering wheel locked up, and the car shut off. If anyone has experienced this problem and has any ideas as to what can cause this problem, please reply and let me know.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    matrix2matrix2 Member Posts: 3
    i have the same problem. if you stick your key in the ignition and turn your car to the on position 3 times in the dispay where your milage is, there will be a p-code number. i did that and called the jeep dealer and told them that my jeep kept shutting off on me while driving and the pcode # came on in the display, can they tell me what that is. in my case it was p0500 which is the speed wheel sensor
    the jeep does not know how fast or slow i am driving so it will shut off on me. in the case of the light coming on in the owners manual it is either the transmissin or the emission sensor.i have already replaced my gas cap one w/a lock so it''s not that.