Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70 New Owner Reports

Comments

• jtregojtrego Member Posts: 68
    What is the "3859" in your VIN? I thought all C-70's had the 68 engine code?
  • lemennlemenn Member Posts: 89
    Hi jtrego,

Henkbw and myself are from europe where we have 3 other engines (I believe Belgium has in fact other smaller diesel engine 2 liters I think) in addition of the T5 like you.

2.4 gas engine 140 horsepowers
    2.4i gas engine 170 horsepowers
    D5 diesel engine 180 horsepowers

and like in the USA (the only one for you) T5 gas engine 220 horsepowers

In USA engine code will always be 68

38 is the engine code for the 2.4i engine that you can find also in the USA on the S40 car.

Mine is 77 for the D5 diesel engine but you don't have it in the USA.
  • jtregojtrego Member Posts: 68
    Okay, thanks lemenn, that makes sense.
    Hopefully only another month until ours gets here so I can be a bonified new car owner.
    I have tried to track on the cargo website, nothing posted there yet. Projected date for delivery to the dealer is 1/2/07. Don't want it before 07 now that we are so close.
  • cuccicucci Member Posts: 49
    We have owned our C70 for 3 months ... a T5 Manual/Petrol. Had a flat battery last week for no obvious reason but when the garage finally tested it for me .... it seems the computer was not shutting down various functions completely after use and this was draining it down. They've downloaded some new software .... so far so good (3 days) but I have noticed that the radio LED screen now changes from green with black text by day ... to black background with green text by night ...and the rear view mirror now dims glaring headlights behind us ... both of which never happened before! Has anyone else noticed this? Also, I can't get the led lights in the doors to go off at all when we lock it with the remote ... they are permanently on and the garage can't tell me why! The manual says they should go off after 5 minutes or so. Otherwise we love it. Any help gratefully received!
  • erisamanerisaman Member Posts: 99
    Hi - you may like to check out the thread entitled 'TSBs/Recalls/Problem Codes' which covers some of your specific problems. It appears that certain cars do have a software prob which has now been rectified.

The auto dimming of glaring headlights in the rear view mirror suggests that the autodimming rear view mirror is now working correctly - which, evidently, it was not doing previously.

Good luck.
    Hi ... thank you. I've read that bit and nothing seems to apply to my car (yet!) I'm in UK by the way. Does your radio/heater screen change with the daylight conditions though? Green background and dark text by day and black background and green text by night? It worries me that this never happened before it went in to the garage last week. The garage did a download with new software last week because the CEM was not communicating properly and switching off, etc. That seemed to change the screen! The garage was very good and explained (to a woman!) as best he could but honestly admitted that we were the first new C70 he's seen to work on over here because they are so new and that we were 'guinea pigs' to a certain extent! I'm new to all this and just finding my way!
    Right - I understand now! Firstly, I've not yet had my C70, it's in the dealership and we are hoping for delivery this Friday. However, whilst in the dealership, I have asked about any UK recalls and they are adamant that there have been no issues as yet - the recall campaign in the US is down to them (via Volvo Sweden) but has not involved Volvo UK.
    The issue I thought was similar was the battery running down - there was a software prob which kept a circuit 'live' under certain conditions and which caused the prob - but, as your technician explained, the new software has cured that.

Electronic circuitry is so complex that colour changes could all be affected - and I'm sure there must have been some inherent prob somewhere which has now been cured, hence the rearview mirrornow operating correctly.

You may like to try the Customer Services of Volvo UK - their addy is on their web site. I tried them at one stage and they were very prompt and very helpful.
    If you want to communicate directly with me as we are both UK based and our 'probs' are sometimes different to the US, you are welcome to do so - my e-mail is on my profile.

I think we are all trying to find 'our way' - irrespective of being man or woman - and that obviously applies to the technicians also!! I will take your comments to my dealership - they handle loads of C70s and could well be of use. I am based in Swansea (S Wales).
    Hi ... I assumed you were US based! What a great Christmas present you'll be getting this Friday! Hope all goes well!! We do love ours .... it's just this problem that cropped up last week with flat battery and I don't know why it didn't surface before!!! Anyway .. hopefully the new download has fixed it! Let me know about the radio screen though when you get yours ..... if you have a sensor that detects day and night conditions etc.? The manual says nothing about that happening ...although the web site shows screen in what I would call night time conditions. I will try calling customer service though ... good idea! I am sure they want new headaches for Christmas! But thanks again for your input!
    Hello Cucci,

Just to let you know that all the problems you are describing are in fact normal.

Yes, I confirm some cars have the battery problem and updating the software solve the problem. So you should be safe with this one.

Then, the change in color of the screen is normal. During daylight, you should have green background with black text, then automatically in the evening or early in the morning when it is dark, the screen becomes black with white/light text. This is in fact a great functionnality for the confort.

Idem for the rear mirror. It switches automatically in night mode when luminosity is low. I suppose these 2 functions are related (screen and autodimming of the mirror).
    However, for me I don't really notice the change in the mirror, it is just automatic.

Last point is the red light indicating the doors are locked.
    In my case they are also always on. But I think it is something you can change in the menu.
    Basically when you select it, it will lock automatically all the doors after few seconds, then the orange/red lights are on and remember you they are locked, and you need a 2 steps action to open the door. Grab the handle, open it, it does not work, reopen it it works. I believe it is some kind of security, and once again you can disable this function via the menu.

I recognise these 2 orange lights always on seems odd at first, but it is a good reminder.

I hope this help.

I am based in France, maybe USA cars does not have these functionnalities???

In fact the dimming mirror is on the medium and high end model only.
  • henkbwhenkbw Member Posts: 22
    Hi Cucci,

I can confirm that the color of the display of the radio/airco changes when it becomes dark (or light). And the red led's in the door indeed go off after a couple of minutes. Like the manual says... So, it seems to me that this is the normal behaviour for the car.

HenkBW
    Hi ... and many thanks! Good to know my car is now acting normally and I had no idea it wasn't for the first 3months until the battery went flat and the new software was downloaded! I've tried the menu to alter the LED door lights .... to no avail ...but I'll try again and see if I can get them to go out after 5 minutes or so! I am UK based. Many thanks for your help ... it was very re-assuring!
    Thanks ... and as you can see from the other notices .... everyone is re-assuring me!!! I haven't been able to get the red LED lights in the doors to go out yet after 5 minutes but I will browse the menu again and not give up! Huge thanks!
  • cricket4cricket4 Member Posts: 94
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

Not sure if this works but here is a pic of my new C70. Just went to visit it today at the dealership. It had just arrived today. I can take it home next week. Don't mind the wait since the weather is yucky. Sorry about the focus - used my cell phone.
  • johnh7johnh7 Member Posts: 67
    Hey - you got a bigger bow than I did.

Only 250 miles but no obvious problems. No barking, other malfunctions etc.

Can't make the Homelink work to open my garage door though. Since the instructions aren't all that difficult, I'm kind of assuming it may never work.

The car is very simple to learn. Everything seems fairly intuitive. The remote for the nav system is a nice touch although most would set a destination before you start driving and the steering wheel controls aren't that difficult to master.

It's a beautiful car. Unusual weather here has allowed for a couple of drives with the top down. I'm a happy camper - SO FAR. :)
    Congrats cricket 4 - that's some car for sure, is it my imagination or does the C70 look different every time it's photographed? And the quality of the pic is also faultless in view (no pun intended) that it was snapped on a cell phone.

Good to hear from you too, johnh7, that all is well with yours.

I've seen mine in the workshop (having software downloaded during it's PDI) but not seen it cleaned up yet. Hope to view tomorrow (Thursday) and take delivery Friday.

Doubt there'll be any bows on mine - maybe flowers in the trunk!
    Hi ...... my car was towed into the garage again yesterday with battery completely flat again ... so if anyone has any ideas or talking to dealers ...... any views???? Something is draining the battery down each time within about 24 hours ...... and I am getting worried! Thanks!
    Hi again - yep, I can well imagine how you are feeling but upward and onward and all that. I've done a copy and paste on the item posted by lemenn which you may like to copy paste and give to your dealersip. It comes under that section TSB/Recalls etc and I think it was message # 20.

"Under certain conditions, vehicles listed above may suddenly experienced a discharged
    battery. The condition occurs at random and will discharge the vehicle's battery after only one
    night parking. A software bug in the ICM has been identified that may keep the infotainment
    relay and the CAN network active with the key out. Standby battery consumption is apx. 2
    Amperes when the condition is present. Once the vehicle's battery is discharged, the
    condition will no longer be present until the next random occurrence.
    Refer to TNN 31-xx for details
    CEM
    The CEM upgrade will prevent "Alarm Service Required" from being displayed in the Driver
    Information Module (DIM) display due to lack of communication between the Siren Control
    Module (SCM) and the CEM."

Bear in mind that this recall applies only to US vehicles via Volvo North America, however, the full document may give enough clues and reference numbers to your dealership whereby they can contact Volvo Sweden and get matters sorted asap! After all, by their own admission - you are their guinea pig.

Good luck.
    Thanks! I saw that and have copied it out .... but I don't want to put 'ideas' into the engineer's head ... I want him to diagnose what it is and go from there! If they come back with no clue or vague answers ... then I will suggest this! If it is a random fault though ..... goodness knows what they can do ... but hopefully software is out there some where!! I still feel it may be connected to the door lights which now refuse to go off when they should only stay on 5 minutes. Even my neighbour has commented on the fact that it looks like a light show!!! Anyway .... I know you get yours any minute .... so I wish you far better luck than we are having! I will post any results we find for others to read ... just in case!!! Thanks again!
    I take your point about not putting ideas into the technician's head, but, if the record of what causes the battery to go flat is 'wiped out' by the very action of it going flat, then the technicians won't have anything to work from.

Your are right about the door/lock indicators staying on too long - 5 mins certainly seems to be their time limit according to the handbook.

With regards to mine - no joy, they 'can't' get it taxed until January 1st! I've now told them to keep the car until January 2nd and I'll pick it up from the showroms myself. Having the car for Xmas was not important, it was having it for my eldest son to see it on, what will be, one of his very rare visits to home.

Anyway - have a good Xmas and a happier, more contented motoring, new year.
    Yes ... you are absolutely right ... but I didn't want to start off by telling them what it might be and them just checking for only that and then putting the blame back onto me if it goes wrong again! I want them to really research it ...... but given it is now 24 hours since they got it back .... I might start making some suggestions!!! I think this story has further to go!! My husband is fairly angry about it ...... especially being caught in Budapest in the fog yesterday!!!

You have a great Christmas as well ...... and thanks for your help so far! I think this site is turning out to be very good! Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Here's another photo. In the future I'll be adding photos to my album at "My CarSpace" and probably not posting photos in the threads. But here's one last one before I do that...

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
    I, too, have really enjoyed this forum and found it very helpful as well as it having a spirit of camaradie (that spelt right??). You WILL get your car sorted, that's for sure, it's unfortunate that it feels as tho' nothing is being achieved and that leads to a lack of faith in your teccy guys.

Hope your husband got back safely - huh, fog, two weeks ago we were being told that we don't get fog anymore becasue of climate change!!!

Merry Xmas to you and indeed to all contributors - which leads me to cricket4. See next msg!
    Great pic again but ..... I hope you weren't suggesting that you'll not be posting ANYTHING in the threads? Your input is needed as much now as ever, and, who knows, someone may come up with that 'perfect drive' you were looking for.

You are not having any conversations with yourself (as you once hinted!) - and if ever you want a drive through the Brecon Beacons in South Wales, U.K. (through the mountain area where Sir Edmund Hilary trained in preparation for his conquest of Everest) then I'm your man and I promise to respond.

Good luck when you pick up yours - mine has been delayed 'til the New Year.
    Had a good chat with the engineer this afternoon. The software download he did last week was the one you had mentioned this morning ... re the infotainment staying 'on' after the key was removed, etc. But he is now getting a permanent drain on the battery .. so he actually has a fault running all the time! He can't find out where it is yet but is e mailing their top engineer for further guidance and stuff. However, even when and if they implement a fix ... he's going to have to keep it and run it and leave it overnight and test and so on. So I don't think we'll be seeing it until 2007 now! They are doing all the can and I appreciate that. Other half was one of the lucky ones to actually get a flight home today .... so I feel Christmas can begin now! The garage hopes to get me a C70 to drive until my one comes back .... so that could be interesting!

Merry Christmas again (can't believe I'm wishing a Welshman Merry Christmas when your rugby team beats ours!!!!! Season of goodwill I guess!!)
    Hello Cucci,

I was concerned by reading that some C70 owners were able to switch off the red door lights automatically after a certain amount of time.

So I tested all the configurations in the menu and mine are always on as long as I have of course selected to locked the doors automatically.

Then I went to the user manual and there is nothing related to the lights going off after a certain duration.

So, when you select the automatic locking doors in the menu, the red lights will stay on as long as you drive. When you exit the car and lock the car with the key remote, the security red light will in the middle of the dashboard will start to blink, the 2 door red lights will be on, then after a certain duration they will switch off (and maybe this is what you are describing by always being on, even when the car is parked). But I confirm, when driving the car with this option selected this is Christmas tree with the 2 lights on (and I also had a remark from a friend why the lights are not going off). For me this is acceptable, as I consider it as a safety reminder (the 2 doors and trunk are locked).

I wish you Merry Christmas and a great YEAR 2007 with your C70.

Of course the same for all of you reading my postings.
    A special thought for erisaman who will be soon showing us his baby...
    Hi ... I am just trying to understand your comments ..... it seems yours (door lights) do go off after a while when parked and locked ... but mine won't do that! They stay on all the time the car is parked and locked and overnight etc. I don't mind if they are on or off when I'm driving! I'm getting the garage to try and look at that for me!

Merry Christmas to you ...... and more news to follow I expect!!! My garage is giving me a replacement C70 to drive over Christmas and New Year while they are working on mine! So I am pleased and looking forward to that!
    Hi,

Yes, I think this is your problem. The lights should go off when parked.

I hope this will be solved soon. I would hate to have your problems.

Let us know when you have more news.
    Thank you for your post. No, I will not stop posting. (What and lose the one place where I can talk about one of my favorite topics - C70s!?! Never!) I just didn't want to take up space with my photos (unless I get an exceptionally nice one) and so will post in my album. Thanks for making me feel welcome. Regarding road trips, I may be taking a short road trip so I might have more to post later. I'm going to comment about my buying experience, too, but this isn't the thread so see you there ("Prices Paid & Buying Experiences"), if you like...
    Of course!!! More news to follow as and when and I hope it will be positive! You are all so kind with your input and I do appreciate it! Thank you.
    Hi ...... still trying to get my car fixed and have a hire C70 now until the new year. And I am noticing some differences!!!!! Our car turns the fan up full blast every time you alter anything to do with the heating controls ... and has to be turned down each time ... and I've noticed the hire car doesn't do this!!! Only when you put the windscreen blower on ... so ... is this what people refer to as Barking Dog????? Sorry to be so uninformed on all this when you lot are all so technical and clever .... I'll get there one day! Thanks !!
  • tsk1tsk1 Member Posts: 31
    On the fan volume you problem want to check your owners manuals, but as I recall you can set the auto fan volume to what ever maximum fan volume that you want. Then whether heating or cooling the maximum fan speed will go no higher than the set level regardless of high much the thermostat is above or below the selected temperature. And no, the fan speed is not the "barking dog''. The 'barking dog' literally sounds like a somewhat muffled medium size dog barking every few seconds. I am told that it is caused by the ventilation dampers opening and closing. We picked up our C70, on September 7th, at the Factory Delivery Center. We had hoped that the 'barking dog' was sent to the pound by then but it still exists. While driving in Europe for some 2100 miles we never heard the 'barking dog' the temperature were relatively warm. When the car arrived here in the US (Oregon), the temperature was much cooler 30s-40s-50s. The barking dog had gotten worse and worse, Originally just when cool on startup for up to 10-15 minutes. Later nearly constantly, whenever heating was set (barks 3-5 seconds apart). We took the car into the dealer, and have been told that there next effort would involve re-installing new dampers, but that they could not be assured that the 'barking dog' would ever go away. After re-setting software, the dog currently only barks for 10-15 minutes and then goes to sleep, to bark at the next time that it is cool on startup. Not a big problem but still frustrating. Too bad because we just love the car otherwise!
    Hi there and thanks for your input!!!! Boy are these cars complicated ... and my car seems to have more complications than most!! It and it's manual are both now spending Christmas and New Year at the garage ...... so I can't check either out!!! But I've noted all your comments and will check them out in 2007! It seems to me that everyone has some kind of technical fault or other and maybe owning a resident barking dog is another of them! How frustrating for you .... I guess you'll have to just give 'it' a name and make it part of the family!!!! Glad you love the car anyway ... it seems C70 owners are a rare breed themselves! Merry Christmas to you!
    I'll check mine thoroughly later (the manual) and get back to you. That's meant as no disrespect to our US cousins, nor even our European neighbours, but as both are UK sourced then we should have the same spec. Although I've still not taken delivery of the car I do have the manual so it's some pleasant Xmas reading for me.

As a matter of interest - one of our members, Volvomax, who is the ultimate with regards to knowledge and advice on these cars, onece commented on a previous thread, that Far Eastern cars appear far more reliable than European or US cars because they are far more basic in their technology. The complications, therefore, on our C70s mark the advancement we are making.

I'll get back to you this evening (UK time - my manual is not to hand at present).
    I seem to spend my life thanking you thesedays!!!!! Honestly, no rush on anything I say for a while ... the car is locked up in the volvo garage now until January 2nd ... with the battery disconnected! The latest report when I was there yesterday and talking to the engineer .... they have done two software downloads .. 1st one the infotainment one which I know changed certain aspects ... but not the battery drain!!! Then he did the one which would have stopped my car phoning emergency services if there was a breakdown or whatever .... because I don't have a phone and that function installed on my car .... and neither worked!!!! Now the CEM is refusing to talk to the roof as well!!! It's all a mystery to everyone! It sounds like they are trying to locate a new CEM, if that makes sense? Excuse me ..... my knowledge of all this is scant compared to you all ... and I feel humbled to be even allowed onto this site!!!! Welcomed but humbled!!! They have given me an '06' C70 to drive until January ... so it's going to be very interesting seeing what else the hire car does well that my car doesn't!!! I am beginning to think it's had a number of faults which I hadn't recognised previously ... but it's all becoming a little clearer now! I will soon be the definitive world expert and entering Mastermind 2007 with C70's as my specialist subject!!! As long as I can have you as my 'phone a friend .... except that is a different quiz show!!!! Merry eve of christmas eve to you!!
    Okay Eve, I mean Cucci, let’s see if one quick blast from this fan of yours will get things a little clearer.

There’s not a great deal in the manual under the heading of the Electronic Climate Control, however, on page 59, under the heading of Personal Preferences there is one item which could be of interest. It refers to personal preference with regard to the Climate Control Settings – item 1 being Automatic Fan Adjustment.

You obviously know your way into the menu system etc so this will be brief (and forgive me if I’m talking to one who already knows all this).

Press MENU and scroll to Climate Control Settings, via the navigation button.
    Press ENTER.
    Select your needs – in this case, Automatic Fan Adjustment.
    Choose from Low, Normal or High (speed)
    Press ENTER to activate your choice.
    Press EXIT to, umm, exit the menu.

I know you don’t have your car immediately to hand, however, in the spirit of experimentation, I see no reason why you cannot access this setting on your loan car to see what level it has been set at, and even change it temporarily to the High setting to see if it replicates the situation in your car. Change back to it’s original setting and it’ll be interesting to see the difference again.

One other setting under this Personal Preference / Climate Control section is the ‘Reset All’ - which will then reset all the climate functions to factory settings.

As you can imagine, without my own car here with which to play, I mean experiment, I can only suggest these ideas, maybe others will be able to offer firmer ’hands on’ advice. Good luck.

Now then – Merry Xmas to you and your family and I hope to hear more in the near future :) .

P.S. Glad you've not mentioned 'The Weakest Link'!
    Sadly not the solution! Even on 'high' the fan on the hire car is about one third of the capacity of the fan on ours!!!! Ours is deafening on each turn or alternation to the heating system! It just confirms to me that there is something fundamentally wrong with ours ..... maybe a new CEM will solve things .. maybe not! All we can do now is wait until January and see what they say. Anyway ... driving the hire car is proving to be a revelation!!! I am sure I will unearth more things as the week and a bit progresses!!!

PS I would never mention what you mentioned in your last line! I was 'adopted' by a Welsh couple many many years ago who are still like parents to me ...... so I am NOT a fan!!!!

Merry Christmas Even ... almost!!!!
    Volvomax - HELP!!!!!!!!!!
    Please ... nobody worry out there!!!! It is becoming clear (from driving the hire C70) that ours has many little problems which I can now identify as wrong .... but it was hard to spot never having driven one before!! I thought it was all 'just a new car' that needed getting used to!! Driving this C70 ...everything just seems to work as the manual says and as you would expect! So maybe we just have a faulty CEM and by replacing that our problems will be solved ... or maybe we just have a rogue car! Either way ... volvo are just going to have to fix it!
    No worries Cucci, Volvomax knows that my cry for HELP!!! was done with tongue in cheek - we've had banter before and he knows that this is my way of acknowledging that I surrender and that we need expert help.

Just enjoy your new driving experience and make the most of it.

Merry Xmas - yet again.
    As I've said before ....I can't believe how great you have all been ..... and I am ever hopeful that things will get solved in the new year. They have to be!! I will keep you posted and I hope you collect yours on January 2nd and JUST LOVE IT!!! Have a very Merry Christmas ..... all!!!
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Best to take the car to the shop and let the techs look it over.
    You are right .... and it's already there and spending Christmas and New Year tucked up in their workshop with the battery disconnected because they have found a constant drain and can't source it yet! January 2nd they are all back and in action again ... and I just hope they find the fault! One thing to ask your advice on .... the battery has taken one hell of a lot of stress these last few weeks ... been drained and charged and drained and charged so many times now ..... if and when they fix the fault .... do you think I need or have a case for a new battery??? I don't suppose they'll want to replace it unless I ask ... but I don't know how much stress modern batteries can take these days without shortening their life? If you have any views I would appreciate hearing them.

Happy New Year to you .... all
    I just picked up my car and brought it home a few hours ago. I love it but because it is so late have not been able to really do anything with it. It was a nightmare getting it home. My friend helped by driving my old car home while I followed in my C70. It was an episode of "Three Stooges". But it was only the two of us. She did not know how to drive a manual trans and stalled my old car at every stop (I had not asked her if she could drive a stick). Finally, after stalling nine times and after a line of cars piled up behind us, I finally gave in and jumped out of my new C70 and fought every fiber of my being and told her to drive my new C70 and I'd drive my old car. The only thing was I could not get my old car started now. I had to push it through the intersection and into a parking lot where my c70 was and as I pushed my old car it continued to roll and rolled towards my C70 - argghhh! I jumped in and pulled the emergency brake. Awful... heart stopping. Well, at least I got to see what I look like when I drive as I watched my friend drive my car to my house. That was not how I imagined it to go. So much for my sworn oath that no one but me would ever drive my car.
    That has brought such a smile to my face - but good luck from now on and hopefully you'll not have a repeat of seeing what you look like to others.

Happy New Year.

P.S. This should now make the first 100 on this thread! (How sad is that?????)
    Maybe we all can get to 200 faster than we got to 100. Anyway, was driving around quite a bit today (140 miles). Had to go out of town. I tried out a couple of things and found an "uh oh". The bluetooth is coming through the subwoofer in the back and I can barely hear it. The local Volvo service rep is calling another Volvo service rep to find out why he was instructed to wire it this way and to see how he can fix it. They are supposed to call me when they get the fix. Also, I can't seem to get my dang Homelink to work (even though my garage door opener is brand spanking new and homelink-compatible). I'm going to have to kidnap a Volvo rep at my dealer and force him to work on it at my house. I think they will, actually.
    Well done, cricket4 ... it's good to know there is one more C70 owner in the world now ..... and I am sure you'll get your problems sorted out! LOVED your story about collecting the car yesterday as well!!!! Made me laugh and it has been retold at one or two London parties I've been to ... so, without naming you ... you are now famous here!!! Happy New Year!!
    Glad to hear my fame is growing... internationally known woo hoo. Well, I got my Homelink to work. Funny how simple things can be when you sit down and follow the written instructions. The only thing now is getting the bluetooth to work right. (Who knows it may just be operator error... nah, not possible.) I love the car. Have noticed the black dust on the back tires. Got some helpful hints from the guy who washes the Volvos at the dealership. You may already know this (and you may know better) but here are his suggestions:

1) if you wash at a car wash NEVER use the foam brush. You don't know who used it before you and it could be full of dirt and pebbles that will scratch your car. Bring your own if you must scrub it.

(2) if you drop your cleaning sponge, towel or mitt on the ground never put it back in the bucket to clean it - you will cause the debris to drop off in the water and then pick it up again when you clean. Always use the hose to wipe it clean first then back in the bucket.

(3) only wax about twice a year (every six months) unless there is unusual bad weather and the roads are salted, etc. I have a black car so he recommended a black wax but added that any good wax will do.

(4) At the car wash, power spray and use a spotless rinse in between washes to keep it shiny.

(5) Also, don't be too picky because those spots you see later that you missed aren't really noticed by others - only you because you are the most critical & obssessed.

(6) a chamois is a must have and if it is new and you are breaking it in then it might seem like it doesn't work at first but keep working at it and it will eventually work nicely over time.

(7) use a degreaser on the tire rims but don't let it sit any length of time or it will streak. Simply spray on all tires then immediately go around and wash off.

(8) when shining the tires with a good tire spray (for that wet look) always spray directly on an applicator (never the tire) because the oil in the spray will show on the car if you miss the tire.

Lastly, in lieu of the above, just take it to the dealership or a professional car wash and have it detailed. He recommended certain name brands for car cleaning products but I won't do that here since we are international and not sure if such brands are available to all.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Hello, Cricket:

If you enjoy washing/waxing/polishing your own car, and especially with a black car, I recommend reviewing the following:

www.zainostore.com

If you search the topics here in the Forums, you will find Zaino threads. I've been using their products on my '05 Abyss Blue Acura TL and found them easy (but time consuming and not inexpensive...) to use with fabulous results. The shine lasts a long time...

Happy New Year to All!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Thanks for the website. I checked it out. The pix look great. I read the tips & tricks section. The writer recommends not using a chamois because it could trap in pebbles and dirt particles but instead recommends 100% cotton towels (white because colors may includes dyes & chemicals harmful to the paint & cutting off the edges of the towels because they also can scratch since they're not made of cotton). Interesting. Well, I've already bought the chamois so I'll just have to take special care with it and pay special attention to any scratches. He also recommends using the towels instead of a sponge (natural or synthetic) because these also could scratch. Has anyone else found this to be the case? Seems to make sense... You're right the products are not inexpensive but if they preserve my car's paint, it would be worth it... Mothers brand was recommended by the guy at the dealership(so much for not mentioning brands). Easy to buy since Walmart carries the brand and gentle on paint. Will see how it goes with Mothers but will keep Zaino in mind. Thanks for the website.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    Zaino is great stuff and very easy to apply and remove. On a "per use" basis it really isn't that expensive because so little is used. It's the only thing that's been on my 99 C70.