Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL vs Infiniti G35

18910111214»

Comments

• slzweibelslzweibel Member Posts: 33
    I presently have an 04 TL coming off lease and am seriously considering the G35X. My rims on the TL seem to have been easily scratched. Part of this might be that I park in NY City a lot and in a parking garage where the "rocket scientists" that park my car really could care less about what damage they leave behind. I also have the impression that the rims on the TL stick out beyond the tire and are maybe more easily damaged. Any impressions on the G35's wheels/rims? Or should I just take driving lessons and park my car in a different garage!?! :)
  • johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    Same situation here (Out of TL lease, into G, scratched wheels). TL wheels were cheaply painted silver instead of brushed finish, and the tires are on the small side for that size wheel...leaving no buffer. I actually bought a used set on ebay and turned my lease in with them (600 total). Turanzas are horrible tires also. I always look at TL wheel lips and many of them are scratched...it doesn't take much at all to peel the paint right off. G Sport has normal tire overlap and real metal finished wheels. I'm sure I've very lightly brushed something by now, but have no signs.
    I agree - the Bridgestones were awful! I wore them out after only 21K miles and replaced them with Pirelli P Zero Neros - what a difference! It was like driving a new (and better) car. These tires really grip the road and I've never had a problem with rain or snow.

I hope I don't get charged for the rim damage on the TL and they take it as normal wear and tear.
    Honda (Unlike infiniti), is very good with lease turn in. I had 50K + miles, with the corresponding wear. Chips here and there, few scratches, horribly worn leather seat, Orig brakes / rotors; I got tagged for nothing but miles. Honda finance was always a pleasure to deal with. Infiniti financial Service (Dealer's finance guy even warned me since I am in finance) are pretty much clueless. No way to pay online without being charged a fee, first level support like Q & A robots...etc. They also don't have any damage waivers on their leases. I don't hold it against the WONDERFUL car though ! !
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I have no basis to state this as fact, but the new Accord is going to have a 270 HP V6, then it stands to reason that the '09 TL will be somewhere around 300HP. One of the engineers actually said there's a push internally to go with a V8. I'm sure those decisions are already made, but putting a V8 in a TL, with SH-AWD...keeping the price at or near the current car, with the current feature content, build quality, etc....would probably make me a buyer.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "...putting a V8 in a TL, with SH-AWD...keeping the price at or near the current car, with the current feature content, build quality, etc....would probably make me a buyer."

Probably? Where does the lineup start?! :shades:
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I know there are people that see the "8" in "V-8" and immediately get all excited, but why does Acura need to go with a V-8 to get to the 300 HP mark?
    Isn't it just more unnecessary weight?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    My buddy at Acura has given me a couple of rumors regarding future Acuras.

According to what he has heard...

The RL will get a V8 in a couple of years and a long wheelbase option.

The TL will get a more powerful V6 and SH-AWD about the same time. It might get a V8 sometime after that.

The TSX gets SH-AWD around the same time and maybe the turbo 4 cylinder out of the RDX. There will also be a TSX coupe to replace the RSX.

If all that happens Audi better watch out.
    I know that the entire line-up will soon be SH-AWD.
    I'm hearing it from way too many sources for it to not be true.

I'm absolutley loving my 07 G and wouldn't change my mind and go back for an 07 TL for anything... but with that being said...
    I can't wait to see what the 09 brings.
    The TL vs G decision was a very hard one to make.
    With everything rumor added into the 09, it'd be a no-brainer.
  • factfinderfactfinder Member Posts: 103
    Rumors are just that -- Rumors. The TL is late to the show. Honda has been working on the TL for nearly a decade -- and they are still in last place.
    scott:

did you have a TL before your G? What are the best and worst aspects of your G? When I test drove a G back to back with a TL in 2004 the G bested the TL in handling but the TL won in everything else (comfort, technology, etc ...). That is why I am driving a TL now but might make the switch in October to a G35x depending on my test drive.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
    04G out-handled, out-braked, and out-accelerated the TL by a very good margin in most cases...but inside and tech sucked. Add vastly superior tech and comparable quality interior to the G, and that sums up the current comparison. Personally, I hope the 09 TL is incredible. My 07G lease will be up in 2010 and I'll go back to the TL : )
    I believe the fit and finish is very comparable, although the G has no squeaks or rattles like the TL is plagued with.
    Interior styling is subjective so we may not agree, but I personally gave the G the edge here.
    The G also offered WAY more technology and I love the Nav interface, although it is partially locked while the car is in motion.
    Once you get to know the car's language, pretty much everything is accessable through voice commands... but it's not like our 06 MDX.
    It is just as easy to use though.
    In fact, with our MDX, little things like changing the resolution or brightness require menus to be drilled down 4 or 5 levels.
    Everything is one touch in the G... nice interface.

Although I am a gadget nut, the bottom line for me was the ride, the power, the handling and most of all, just how it made me feel.
    I care nothing about car magazine reviews or other people's opinions. I was dropping a $35,000 deposit on this car and I wanted what made me happiest, and cared nothing for what others thought.
    You need to do the same.

After buying our MDX last year, Acura knew I was in the market for my car as well, and REALLY pushed the TL.
    I was given an 07 TL on 6 occasions, 2 of them being Type-S's.
    All were loaned out for the day so I had 6 chances to get to know the car on my 50 mile commute to work.
    After 6 rides, quite frankly, I was bored.
    After driving the G, I felt what the TL was missing.
    There's a Luxury feel that the TL missed, and the ride/power/handling was spot on.

I love my G and would do it again in a second, worth every cent too.

With that being said, I'm keeping one eye on Acura and the new TL. 2009 should be something and let the first to have it's work out the bugs.
    I'll be in line for an 2010 or 2011, if the G novelty ever wears off. :blush:

07 G35x - Prem/Nav/Tech/Rosewood - Blue Slate on Graphite
    See mycarspace page for pics. :)
    Thanks for the input. I'll probably test drive the G35 tomorrow to get an idea. My 04 TL has had many squeaks and rattles which continue despite multiple visits to the dealer. I would have to assume that the G also has its share of problems as well (see post above). How have you found the dealer and their service? Is Infiiniti known for good or bad service in general or is it more dealer specific. Acura's service seemed to be pretty good to me (despite the fact they couldn't get rid of all my squeaks and rattles).
    And there you have it.....the gospel according to factfinder. :sick:
    BR...that makes sense. RL gets the V8. The redesign is due in '10. That may finally get it the respect it needs.

The Accord's redesign will be launched next MY. Staying with the 5 year plan, and the "spy shots" beginning to emerge from secret testing, '09 will be the year for the new TL. I've mentioned before, a TL with ~300 HP and SH AWD, a little tweaking on the style side, keeping the feature content and build of the current vehicle, I may very well be a buyer after my 3 series warranty is up (about the same time the '09 TL will come out), especially if it stays very near what the current TL sells for.

I can see a Type-S version with a V8.

I wonder if the TSX will get the V6 that's going into the Accord?
    As owner of first year current TL and first year current G...the G doesn't make NEARLY the noises of the acura. 04 TL didn't flex as much as the 03 (I used to silicone my sunroof seal as it squeaked from flex), but it still made some noises in the dash and rear in particular. My G (At least) is free of noises, other than the occasional seatbelt rattle, and some wind noise. Driving them back to back I determined the wind noise was relative to the very quiet cabin. Acura put Active Noise Cancellation in the Type S for a reason...it's got a noisey interior. G body seems to be pretty much flex-free.
    I honestly don't know much about Infiniti's service level as this is my first, but I have been back for oil changes and a quick TSB and I was very happy with the professionalism and service.
    I can say the same for Acura as well.
    They have always been very friendly and up front, although they never did fix the sub-woofer rattles in the MDX. :sick:
    So I had my G35x test drive today. Am very impressed. The G handles significantly better then the TL (just ask the salesguy who might have had to change his underwear when we got back to the dealer!). The interior was much better then I remember back in 04 - little problems but much improved. Will still test drive the 07 TL-S but will likely go with the G35x.
    :)

Enjoy the Type-S test drive... and then your new G! ;)
    OK....here's the next Accord....

http://jalopnik.com/cars/spy-photos/2008-honda-accord-coupe-now-with-new-picture- s-288702.php

It doesn't take too much imagination to see the Acura TL grill being used here. Probably the grill would drop well into the lower front facia. Fog lamps woud flak the bottom end of the grill. With the TL being a 4 door, the rear doors would have to flow into the roofline.

Looking at the rear, it's clear that the LED tailights used on the current gen TL wouldn't need much massaging to fit...maybe they'd be a bit larger.

Looking at the size of the hood, a V6 VTEC with 300+ HP would fit nicely. Ground clearence suggests it would accomodate SH-AWD mechanicals, too. Wonder if they can fit a V8 in there?

Front doors forward looks to have a few styling clues from a Lexus ES/IS. Rear isn't dramatically different from the current TL, with some swoopier styling clues.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    ...seem the front of Accord sedan is almost the same as the Sonata. :surprise:
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    And the back looks like a Lexus. What we have here is an Lexord.
    kd....I can see a bit of Lexus in the rear, too. It will be interesting to see Acura's take on the platform. "Lexord"......LOL! I think Honda should hire you as a marketing person.
  • braydenhbraydenh Member Posts: 5
    The new Acura TL looks just like the Honda Accord.I invite anyone with a newer model TL (2005 - 2009) or TSX to come to Temecula and go head to head with my G35 tiptronic sedan. 0-60 in faster than your Acura. More quality and better leather in all. Anyone who wants a real vehicle, go to your Infiniti dealer. If you buy a used '06, your ahead of the Acura '09. If you buy a new Infiniti, you're even that much more ahead.
    Thanks, but no thanks. We don't like slummin' it!
    Not sure what you mean by "slummin it"? Please explain. Comment makes no sense. Where r u from?
    Temecula is a very high class area with only home owners in the above 500K range! Where you live? The bronx? Sounds like it.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm not sure this conversation is going in a useful direction...

Maybe we could just get back to discussing the pros and cons of the vehicles that are the subject here? Challenges to duels seem so out of date.
  • blnewtoblnewto Member Posts: 146
    Tested both the 08 TL, TL-S & 08 G, we ended up w/ a slightly used 07 G (6k miles), having put 22k miles on the G thus far we've had no rattle issues, only quality issue was a sunroof seal and it was covered by a TSB (and has remained intact for the last year). The TL was impressive but if it ONLY had RWD, then I'd be more willing to re-consider a TL as a future vehicle in my garage. The G is much more willing to grip & rip than the TL, much more in line w/ the 3 & 5 series BMWs.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The new Acura TL looks just like the Honda Accord.

Um, sorry. Not seeing it.

Now, the Altima and the G is a different story...

Don't worry about it, it was just a little tongue-in-cheek comment, based on the fact that the consensus is that TLs have a plusher interior than the G35. I wasn't thinking of the geographical locations or house values of G owners. But since you brought it up, in my area, the average home value is probably, oh, I would say, about $1.75M. It's not Buckingham Palace, but it's not bad. ;)
    I was scratching my head over his TL/Accord comparison too. Your visual reply was bang-on.
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    Its takes an acquired taste to like how the new TL looks. I hope for their sake, the price on the TL will save the day. I forsee sells not being at par with the previous model. Honda seems to have tried really hard to make the TL look like a Linkoln MKS. They might not look alike but there is some resemblance.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I didn't say I liked the TL, you'll notice. ;) Just that it didn't look like the Accord.

As for the MKS and the TL's similarities, they would be purely coincidental.
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=135807?tid=edmund- s.il.home.photopanel..1.*

I have to admit, I like Edmunds. They look at total ownership experience, i.e. handling, straight line accelarion, pricing, interior, the works, before concluding. Contrast with their competitor, car & driver. I am also left scratching my head at the conclusions tjose guys reach. They had an article were they placed the 09 TL ahead of the G. I have no idea how one can come to that conclusion. If you look at their C&D 10 best cars, you will realize that most likely, you would never want 80-90% of those 10 cars in your garage.

Keep up the good work Edmunds
    Interior looks nice...and I saw where a TL beat an S4 around a track....but those acceleration times are pathetic. As much as people refuse to admit..most rate power by how fast something goes when you "Drop the hammer". I had an 04 TL...and it was a GREAT car for 33K...this one weighs 4,000 lbs and costs 44K? I predict HORRIBLE sales. And what happened to the AWD G....no more sport package?
    Yup, I think Acura will regret super-sizing the TL.
    Yup, the old TL looks much better. The S4, like everything else from Germany, is overpriced. With the way the economy is, overpriced is not the way to go.
    I almost got a used one as my TL replacement....then I asked a few mechanics I know....they advised me to stay away as the parts are INCREDIBLY expensive.
    Nice all-around car though....340hp V8 awd 4 door is pretty much a do-it-all vehicle.
    Handled remarkable well for having such a big heavy motor up front and AWD.
    I think the article I read the TLSH ran circles around the 335, the G, the IS350, and the NEW (v6superchared..30mpg) S4. That Differential has been amazing since they first put it in a prelude waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when.
    Regarding the S4, I wouldnt get too carried away with the HP, its slower than a 335i and probably at par with the G37 but cost 8k more than the 335i and 10s of thousands more than the G37. Yeah, the S4 is not on my wish list at all.

Regarding ability to take curves etc, am not too much of a fan of that. I drive my car on the road 100% of the time, never on race tracks. To me the edmunds article has more relevance than the C&D test results
    "Regarding ability to take curves etc, am not too much of a fan of that. I drive my car on the road 100% of the time, never on race tracks."

Don't roads have curves too?
    Yes they do, but most are designed in such a way that even a bus driver can take them. Let me put it this way, I have driven my 140hp commuter through those curves on the road and have not been disapointed. So I cannot justify paying a premium for any car cos some magazine says it takes curves very well. When I drive my G, I have not been let down at any twist, turn or curve either. So I do not see the need for spending say 41k on a base 335i, vs the same amount on a fully loaded G.
    At the time...the 3 series was slow, and the (Used) S4 was about 30K. Plus Audi interiors are the standard by which others are measured. I wound up getting a 40K G Sport loaded and have no regrets....gas mileage notwithstanding. My TL used to get 30 on the highway..no problem. G is still the best car for the $ to me no matter what...with (Oddly enough) Legacy GT being my second choice if value is weighed more heavily. The saved 8-10K would go a LONG way lol
  • pdxsteelerpdxsteeler Member Posts: 1
    Am currently in the midst of trying to decide between the three. Base configuration for the Acuras is my current thinking. Offers from the Acura dealer (still room to negotiate almost surely): '08 TL @ 30, 225, '09 TSX @ 29605. Still need an officiall offer on the Infiniti but over the phone they said they should be able to take at least 5k off the sticker (to match the discount on the TL off sticker price). That would put the G35 at between 30k and 31k.

Understand that the TSX is a slightly different class than the other two but given that is an '09 that is supposedly comaprable to the '08 TL, wanted to include that.

The questions:
    1) Assuming the prices are the same, which car would you choose?
    2) If the prices are different, how much cheaper would the G35 have to be to choose that over the TL (or vice versa if you think the TL is the better one at the same price).
    3) What G35 package makes the most sense to compare against the TSX?
  • blnewtoblnewto Member Posts: 146
    Test drove all three (08 TSX) and for me the G was clearly the best performer and the most fun to drive. If you can land a sport package G for 32K that's the ticket :)
This discussion has been closed.