Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Transmission Problems

Comments

• jonayjonay Member Posts: 5
    I have a 96 tahoe 2 door 5.7 4x4. Driving down the road today and stopped being in
    gear, reset the code, disconected the battery to rest also, checked the drive line, checked to see if the tourq converter was connected. I have no R, no D, 1, ,2, 3.

Time for a new transmission or is there something I don't know?
  • 499degrees499degrees Member Posts: 2
    1999 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 4x4.Same thing happend to me today. transmission was not making noise, not slipping and has been shifting flawlessly. Was stopped at stop sign. Stepped on the gas to move forward, rpm went up but no D321 or R. After sitting for a few minutes it would engage again but only for a short time. Fluid is full, no visible leaks, no slippage or audible noise. Had it towed to a transmission shop for inspection. No answer yet.Don't want to get ripped off!! Anybody have any insight on this?
    I'm getting a new trans soon $1400.00. shipped. I'd like to hear what they say is wrong with it though. If you need to get a new trans, I know a good place.
    I wish these guys would reply!
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    can you post a URL to the place you get a transmission for 1400?

Is it pulled out of another vehicle, a rebuild, or new? What kind of warranty?
    its rebuilt. 1 year or 12,000 miles.

call justin 800.409.1540

where do you live?

do you have a friend that has a shop?
    Don't currently have a transmission problem, had a 97 burb in the past with one, and had the local transmission shop fix mine.

Just keeping track of what the different fix alternatives are, and what they cost.

So in your case, you are going to have someone swap out the whole transmission, and it appears you have a friend who has a lift and labor who can help you do that. And then justin will take your old transmission back, rebuild it, and make it available for the next guy.
  • 499degrees499degrees Member Posts: 2
    Transmission shop said trans needs to be rebuilt. Still dont know why it just quit without any malfunction or noise. $1895. for rebuild, new torque converter and the tow.
  • dtroitdtroit Member Posts: 5
    thanks for the reply to my questions.

So after contacting several shops and getting prices it became clear to me that this has to be a pretty common problem with my trans since all off the trans shops knew exactly what failed when i described it to them. It has a broken sun sprocket which tends to wear and break after excessive abuse or a lot of miles which I have.

The differences in prices were varied from over 2000.00 to around 1200.00 with just about every shop adding (give or take a couple hundred bucks). I kept my searches to local shops that took the time to talk to me about it on the phone and avoided the chain store type of operations altogether.

So with a bit of knowledge about what it costs for parts for this repair and the care that is needed to do the job correctly I was able to get a reasonable price and a 2 year warranty. I don't have the final price yet since it is currently in the shop but I was told it will definitely not exceed 1400.00 dollars. and that is with a heavier gauge sun sprocket (after market part) and replacement of the planetary gears included in the rebuild. also the transfer case seal will be replaced since these tend to dry up and become brittle which allows trans fluid to leak into the transfer case. This I am told is a VERY common problem and can result in the loss of 2 quarts of trans fluid into the transfer case. And within only a couple years of age of the vehicle.

And as for the clunking sound from the drivetrain , apparently GM considers this normal!!!??? This is what I was told by several trans shops and the fix that they use to try and alleviate some of the binding and noise is to improve the finish of the surface on the input shaft going into the transfer case and lubricate it well so as to improve its ability to adjust within the moment of its engagement. sounds a little sloppy from the get go, but hopefully that will help. It is a major annoyance and takes away my confidence in the soundness of the drivetrain. Unacceptable standard of quality if you ask me. I will be listening carefully if I venture into a showroom for a new vehicle.

keeping my fingers crossed and my expectations high.

I will post again with my impressions of the repair when I get the vehicle back.
    Thank you for your reply. I found a comany that rebuilds transmissions in Oregon that will sell me a trans for $1135.00 including shipping with 12,000 1 year warentee.
    If you know anyone that needs one call Justen 800. 409.1540.
    e-mail if i can help anyone.

gary
  • alexismalexism Member Posts: 2
    When excelerating it won't go into the next gear, idoling real high wont go faster than 30 mph WHAT IS THIS?
  • atxbmwatxbmw Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 Tahoe with 71,000 miles has developed a new trick where it shifts really hard from first to second. It's really asserted itself now that it has cooled off here (the 50's). It shifts fine into 3d and 4th.

Anyone have any insight as to what part might be wearing out. I'd like to be armed with some information prior to contacting dealers (who are looking to maximize revenue in a tough market).
  • arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    atxbmw,

I have a '04 Tahoe too with 98 000 miles but have no problems like you describe but there is one thing I would do before taking it to anywhere to have it looked at any deeper - Change the transmission fluid. I had it done at 75 000 miles and I did feel some jerking a couple of times before fluid change.

You might not be at the mileage what service manual calls for fluid change interval but harsh change between gears can be caused by break down of the transmission fluid.

I know it is about $100 but well spend compared to changing transmission or having some other big job done to it when it really just needs new fluid. Make sure they fill it with correct fluid if someone else than the dealer shop does it.

And you are correct, almost any shop, including dealer shops, try to maximize their profit telling people, who do not know better, that they need to service items that they really do not. This is why I would not tell the dealer or other shop about the problem you have when taking it for fluid change. I would just take it in and say you want fluid change because you feel your truck is used under heavier than normal load conditions.

Arrie
  • BabeTheBlueHoeBabeTheBlueHoe Member Posts: 2
    I just saw this topic and had to post...
    I bought a used 2000 Tahoe in August and have not had trouble until the past month or so.

I had to even have it towed last night!

I seem to have the tranny slip like other have mentioned.
    I also have the problem when I'm in a gear, it may not be what gear it reads. For example I was in Drive but it went in Reverse. I put it back in park and went to Drive again. This time it did move forward but very badly and then I too heard a loud bang, similar to a truck that would have a fully locked locker in the rear, only this truck does not have that, just the GM Gov lock or what ever.
    Then it would move fine forward.

Other times I put it in Reverse but it acts like I'm in neutral.

Last night I put it in Drive and it would hardly move. The RPMs were way high. So again I put it in Park and tried again. Still the same. It seemed like it was trying to pull out in maybe 3 gear.

I have issues too when I'm just driving it feels as though the tranny might be slipping but it will go on to the next gear.

I have not taken it to a dealer...they seem to stuck on their "tech tool". They couldn't figure out the steering box whine on my husbands truck. I could tell them the steering box was bad and that a tech tool was not going to read that.

Any ideas? So far some one mentioned to me a shift module or some thing there?

Thanks!
  • jmaesjmaes Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 tahoe, the button to select either 2H 4L 4H or auto 4WD is suppose to have one of the selections lit up when selcted and stay lit until changed. When I selct 2H it lights for a while then the light go's out and stays out. Is this normal or is there something wrong.
  • dtroitdtroit Member Posts: 5
    Mine does the same thing, I had my trans rebuilt recently and had the transfer case checked out and the mechanic said everything was good, but didn't mention anything about the lighted switch. so far no problems except for the lighted switch not being a good indicator of what drive mode I am in. So I just left it and I am careful to be aware of whether or not I am in 4wd. If you check it out let me know what you find out please. If it's a cheap switch I think I may change it.
  • norm31norm31 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Tahoe. THe gear shift lever will move through the gears but it remains in park. There is something electronic that is preventing it from actually shifting and I cannot figure out what it is. I have checked the fuses and they all appear to be OK. Any ideas appreciated.
    Have checked to make sure the linkage isn't loose or disconnected at the transmission ?
    According to what I've read in another Tahoe forum is that the switch has a bad solder joint and is prone to this on and off stuff. So I am going to try to either replace the switch or resolder the bad joint on my switch and see what happens. I'll let you know if that works or not.
  • frustrated22frustrated22 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 2000 chevy tahoe, it was running just fine and now the tranny will not go into park. if i crawl under it and push the linkage slightly then it will go into park. any ideas on what the problem may be? is it the cable? is it the tranny? HELP!
  • BabeTheBlueHoeBabeTheBlueHoe Member Posts: 2
    I have not crawled under mine and ever tried this, I get hurt enought, but so far mine has not ever NOT gone in to park.
    It just doesn't go in the right gear when I put the shifter to that spot. Drive just might really be neutral, 3rd or worse reverse.
    I for the heck of it tried to just drive with it in the 3rd gear or what ever it's in and I get a huge bang and then its in the right gear. Seems to me it's not fully shifting in to the gear I choose.
    Now the truck will shift on it's own fine when I do get it in just Drive.

Nothing shows on a Tech Tool either.
    Seems to only do this when it's very cold out. I have not had it do it all summer and we have had a few days inthe 50s now and it won't do it.

Any one think this is electrical and weather affecting it?
  • 1997yukon1997yukon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Tahoe that is having major problems.

I have only had the truck for 3 weeks and I have already replaced the fuel pump and done a complete tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor) The truck takes a very long time to start and I was told at first it was the fuel pump that was weak and so I replaced it and the problem stayed the same. Then I was told all my plugs, wires, cap, rotor etc were original and they were the cause. So I replaced all of that. The problem didn't change. Then today I was driving and the transmission started slipping in 3rd and 4th gear. The truck has 148,000 miles and I paid $5000 for the truck. I have now put almost another $1000 into repairs and I have tranny problems. What do I do?
  • upinstyleupinstyle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 that does this. Did you ever find out what it was? I have a guy telling me I need to have it RE-MANUFACTURED... I heard from someone else the shift selinoid was bad, another said the torque converter... Wish someone just knew or honest!!! Thanks for any help... :cry:
  • loudoggloudogg Member Posts: 1
    so what did you do? replace the tranny filter or did you rebuild your tranny???
  • wrknboxwrknbox Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 chevy tahoe and the transmission just went. the vehicle only has 47,000 miles. Is this normal for a chevy. It didn't even make it to the 50,000 mile check up. The dealer wants $3200 for a rebuilt and $2800 to fix the parts. anyone with any help or suggestions would be great.
  • rodney72rodney72 Member Posts: 1
    Check with the dealer to see if any warranty or recalls cover your transmission. If not, then take the car to a transmission shop for repair.
  • mossbossmossboss Member Posts: 4
    traveling on vacation yesterday on I-86 in NY Mountains, transmission jumped while climbing a hill, reved high like in neutral and re-engaged. When I arrived at my destination, the car sat for 60 minutes and then I went to the store. While pulling out of the parking lot, the trans jumped again, reved high and then wouldn't reengage until I put it into low and then transmission hot idle engine light came on. I followed the directions. 2 hours later, I went back to the store, same thing happened, this time no light came on. I need to get back home, it is a holiday weekend so no one can look at it and I am not a car tech. Any advise or hope it isn't serious?
  • bummedoutbummedout Member Posts: 5
    Hi there, my name is Tina, I am in Wyoming. I have a 2002 Tahoe, and it feels like my tranny is slipping. It revs up but does not really catch right away into the next gear . It almost feels like a fuel injection problem and by the way we just put in a fuel pump last month and did it ourself. Could you give me an opinion please. I was stranded in Ft. Collins, CO. and decided to turn back home to Wyoming just in case something was very wrong. I am pregnant and have 3 kids with me and I am in a panic. I have done the obvious like check the fluid and added some. It marked full. I checked the fluid in neutral, I think that is the right way. ????
    What is sprag [sic]? My tahoe is 2002 with simular issues. Thanks, Tina
    What will your repair be? you didnt say what is was that they think is wrong. Thanks. Tina. Mine is slipping and not catching. I did not hear any loud noise or lose a gear. It just slips..........
    sprag clutch? please explain what this is and why it helped. Thanks so much
  • rockman59rockman59 Member Posts: 250
    it feels like my tranny is slipping
    Stay away from the dealer! Find a repair shop and get a JASPER tranny. Check it out at JASPER.COM My dealer here in NY (marchese chevy) has put 4 that right 4 rebuilts from gm and the one in there know is acting up. 62k miles. Dealers to me are like drug dealers and all people in D.C. that we vote for, their all full of BULL!@#$. CJ.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Dealers to me are like ...

All the dealers I know are fine upstanding individuals. I think we should stay away from maligning a group of people based on a statistically insignificant and flawed sampling. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • trezure4utrezure4u Member Posts: 3
    What about the fuel pump? Has anyone had this problem? If so what was the cost?
  • gmonroegmonroe Member Posts: 1
    99 tahoe, 125,000 miles, when put in drive, takes 1 2 seconds before kicking in to be able to drive. when first starting and running, morning only jerks and hestates like a miss, but i don't think thats it, Aamco says fluid looks ok but smells burnt and need tranny rebuilt, what do you think
    If you have to replace the fuel pump...buckle up and get ready for a tough ride. The fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank...the tank must be taken down, the pump must be removed and a new pump installed. You are looking at somewhere between $700 and $900 according to all the reports I have seen. What a crazy place to put the pump...unless GM wanted their dealers to make some extra bucks on the replacements.
    Aamco says fluid looks ok but smells burnt and need tranny rebuilt, what do you think
    I have a 2007 Yukon with 52,000 miles n it. We are on vacation 3 states away.Monday evening I was pulling into traffic when BANG!,a mini-explosion shook the s--t out of the Yukon,and revved it to 6 grand.I immediately pulled off the road to figure out what happened-no forward gear-thought Ihad a broken u-joint.Found out I did have 1 and 2 gears by manually shifting into each gear,slipped in 3,and absolutely no drive. Luckily was only about one mile from our rental home.CalledOn-star,and had them tow as I did get it back "home".The next morning the dealership worked us in as I explained our dilemma.They jumped right on it and the tech pulled the transmission,but while doing so told me these 2007's where his "bread and butter" and hardly a day or two went by until he was doing another transmission repair.When I told him the symptoms,1 and 2 only,he said I can almost guarantee you what happened, the sprag self-destructed.Sure enough,a couple of hours passed and the tech calls and tells me that indeed the sprag was DOA.Luckily, they had all the parts on the shelf but one,and they had it overnighted.He said he does so many 2007's that he has the parts dept. carry all the transmission parts for a "worst-case scenario"(lucky me!). Anyway,a BIG THANK YOU to Victory Chevrolet in Southern Shores N.C.and especially John Wells,the tech who not only showed me what had happened as well as the damaged parts,and took time to explain what he did to repair the transmission. Most tech's simply don't take/have time to do this,but seeing how far we were from home and the time restraints we were facing in our rental house-this happened Monday night and John had our vehicle repaired by 1:00 Wed.Like people here have said,you don't expect a transmission to puke in a $55,000 vehicle .(He also told me as soon as he got my Yukon done he has it's two sisters out on the lot with the exact same problem-imagine that!)THREE IN ONE WEEK!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks for sharing. I like stories with good endings! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Yeah...good ending. Too bad GM can't figure out how to build a transmission these days. This kind of stuff was unheard 10 years ago. Trannies would last upwards of 200,000 miles without any major repairs.
    Yes,

Transmissions and engines used to wear out, not experience some catastrophic failure that is based on very bad and poor design.

GM customers also used to last but not any more. There still are some "red necks" out there who still believe GM makes the best vehicles but facts are too strong and many GM fans are switching to imports as $55 000 vehicle indeed should not experience a catastrophic failure of anything in it.

If GM would respect their loyal "audience" and go and fix catastrophic failures like transmission "explosions" under warranty even when warranty is out they would have a chance to survive but this is not happening and a lot of people have finally had it with GM.

I have a Tahoe now but my next vehicle will come from Germany.

Arrie
    A BMW? Hopefullly not a MB.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Oh come on, that was the "old GM" ;)
    AUDI Q5 or Porsche Cayanne. No MB and no BMW as their SUV's are ugly.

Arrie
    Which "old GM" do you mean? The one just before the Chapter 11 trick to get rid of all the bills or the one that stopped existing somewhere before year 2004?

I got one of their 2004 model year pieces of crap, which now is good as I fixed all problems myself while it still was under warranty. Well, one problem remains. The steering shaft still needs to be lubed every 40 000 miles or so as I do not have the new part fix in place as the dealer refused to replace it under warranty and I refuse to pay for it since it should be changed under warranty. I have read on many posts where shaft has been replaced for them under warranty but by the time GM finally had the new shaft designed I had too many miles on mine. Problem with defective part existed since I bought the truck but I could not get it done. I bought the lube kit, which is not available any more, but I use it whenever I need and re-lube the shaft.

No more GM for me after this one.

Arrie
  • tah04tah04 Member Posts: 8
    Carefull the host of this sight might get mad at what you say. Being that all things need to be looked at in different ways. (PUKE) Oh and we should not bash the lieing dealers that cover for these junk mobiles saying things like "I"ll call GM myself and find out why you had to put 5 transmissions and 4 steering shafts in your car". I cant even go back to the dealer I bought my 2004 tahoe s@#t box from because I might have a bowel movement on the money hungry ,don't care lieing dirt bags desk! YOU bet GM knows there are problems why the hell are they bankrupt? I looked in to the new equinox with the cash for clunkers sitcker price and 6.9% you tell me if gm cares Toyota 1.9 and cash back and I love the car. CJ
  • hercimerhercimer Member Posts: 1
    My 2h lite went out too. It was broken solder joints on the back of the swtich. I just resoldered them and it fixed it.
  • d1extreemd1extreem Member Posts: 9
    I just spent about 4 hours reading all of the posts... this is a GREAT place to be!
    Ok, bought my '96 Tahoe LT in April, with 150K miles on it, of which 10K are mine. It has a full tow package on it and I first made use of it with a 5x8 U-Haul trailer this past weekend. About half way into the 700 mile trip, I was entering the Trans-Canada from a ramp and, while accelerating, at about 45-50mph, there was a "zzzzzz" sound, kinda like a power steering pump, but from the tranny area. I was in OD, shifted to D, same noise with power on, it stopped when I released the gas, but no noise at all in 3rd. Everything still worked fine, passing gear, etc., no sign of slipping and the noise quit at hwy speeds.
    When I stopped an hour later, for fuel, checked the oil levels, all ok, then put it through the gears. Noise in forward & reverse, with brakes on and slight gas pedal, but it did not last. I finished the trip with no further noise, and no drop in performance and no obvious slippage.
    Without the trailer, and in our new snow, I've been putting it through the gears a little more aggressive, but everything seems ok.
    I'm doing another 300 mile trip with aging Mom & Dad at Christmas and don't want any problems... any ideas??
    Tranny oil is ok and, red, not burnt. Thank
    Sounds like a bearing starting to go (under load conditions), but check the center driveshaft support bearing for slop.
  • d1extreemd1extreem Member Posts: 9
    I was under the truck the day before, visible joints & bearings all ok. Which other bearing were you referring to? The mechanics of a 4x4 are relatively new to me, this being my first one, but I'm a fairly good DIY' er. Are we talking tranny or transfer case?