Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

jtdljtdl Member Posts: 2
edited June 2015 in Jeep
I have a 1998 JGC with Quadra Trak. When cold, I can be driving down the road, pushing down on the gas pedal when suddenly I'm coasting, the engine will rev when I push down on the gas but the transmission won't engage. I have to continue pushing on the gas pedal and letting off until finally it will engage and away I go. Anyone have any ideas of what this could be. It did it last winter and again this winter but never had a problem in the warm weather.

See Also: Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Troubleshooting (Cold Weather and other shifting problems)

Comments

• opus_twoopus_two Member Posts: 2
    My jeep sat for acouple of months til I got around to fixing the brakes.
    When I went to move the jeep I found the throttle sticky. I had difficulty freeing it up when suddenly it was free.
    I fix the brakes. When I went out on the road to test the brakes I found that it wouldnt upshift unless the RPMs really were high.
    I can select individual gears both forward and reverse, there are no noises.
    The upshift cable is connected on the top of engine. I can pull on it and seems really easy to move.
    I thought it might have disconnected itself underneath but the cable disappears into the transmission. I pull on it and hits a stop. Is it possible that it came off inside the tranny. Will removing the tranny oilpan expose it for insepction?
  • bobdawgbobdawg Member Posts: 1
    i have pulled out nearly all my hair figuring out my tranny problem on my 89 cherokee, it was showing almost the exact symptoms. HOWEVER... before you look to hard at the tranny checkout your tps throttle position sensor during intermitting failure it will masquerade as a shiftless tranny,try adjusting your tps and see it your symptoms change, but you know it is never a bad idea to install a fresh tranny filter but ill bet a dollar on the tps good luck.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    When was the last time the tranny fluid was changed? Sounds to me like you could have some water in the fluid that is freezing in cold water. A tranny that doesn't have enough fluid in it will do the same thing, only it will do it all the time.
  • ketronketron Member Posts: 1
    Going down the highway, my engine dies, I have figured out it is not getting fire from the coil. After it cools off it starts again and runs good for a little while longer. I get a code of "11" on my display. Can yo tell me what to look for to repair.
  • jtdljtdl Member Posts: 2
    I wish that was the problem but I don't think it is since it doesn't have to be freezing for it to do this - just cold. My husband cleaned the filter and pan and found shavings in the pan also. Any other ideas of what could be going on?
  • opus_twoopus_two Member Posts: 2
    Thanks that did it.. Replaced TPS.. Had to be sure it was the problem.. $150 lost if it wasnt

cheers
  • jrslost67jrslost67 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I'm new to this forum. I purchased a 2005 jeep grand cherokee with the 4.7 v8, in may of 2006 it only had 9800 miles on it. Since June of 2006 I had experienced a delay when putting the truck in reverse after it sat for a period of time. I brought it to the dealer and they did a transmission cooler filter update (which supposedly was the problem). I still had the same problem, brought it back they did "another" update, well that turned out to be the same update. Since then I am still experiencing the same problem, slipping when putting it in reverse when the truck sits. I just had it to the dealer for other problems (exhaust manifold leaks, sun roof not working, climate control head lights not working differential noises, and engine noise on cold start). The fix everything but the transmission problem, engine noise and differential noise. The transmission problem the service manager told me is "normal" that you have to start the truck let it sit for approx. 30 seconds than put it in reverse that the problem I am having is normal. Any body experience this problem? and what solutions were found Please help. Im sick of the dealer run around
  • rhodesrerhodesre Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing this probelm also. When I went to dealer they stated that I need to get my transmission flushed. I too have a 2005 JGC. I have been traveling a lot so my miles are now over 30K; however, this vehicle should not be doing this. I am also experiencing problems with the 4wd system however they are unable to determine what the problem is.
  • theump2theump2 Member Posts: 1
    I have had problemn with tranmission slipping and is getting worse. When going down the road the car shudders from time to time as if the engine and trans are missing each other. We have had this car since new and are meticulous in our maint. The car repair place we had been going to said it was just wear problems but the shuddering is getting worse and I'm afraid the car is becoming unsafe. The rest of the car looks and acts brand new and engine is in top shape. Am I missing somethin here? Trans problem or something else. Should I put a new trans in? We'd like to keep it for a good spare vehicle.
  • harpermdharpermd Member Posts: 1
    Let me tell you from experiance freind to never ever be gotton again reading all these post makes me feel as if i am reading my onw "jeep life stories" for the past two year. I have a 2000 GJC Limited and when i bout it i loved how it looked it looked great - I was a little hesitant to buy it because I did not feel right about it for some reason i don't know i belive it was becasue of how it shifted in and out of gears which wasn't a brilliant smoth transision I did buy - I convinced myself that I was being to picky and bought the darn car. What in the world was i thinking guys the same thing happens to me when i'm on the road the jeep acts like it some times dosen't want to get out of second gear and it rushes high and cathes itslef all the time - now get this - I have taken this car to the dealer many many many many times and have asked what in the heck is wrong with this car they all tell me it this or its that I ask is it the trans they say no they say just get it serviced sir well I've done that and it still slipps and acts sick mean while the dealer wants to brainwash me into thinging that all is ok - all is not ok I have spent over 2500+ plus on this vehichle replacing parts to serviding the jeep yet still I am never without these dumb slipps - i am more than conveniced that this is no longer a small problem with the jeep but that chrysler has really put together a terrible car for there customers how dare them put me through all this how dare them - I am more certain that these jeeps are more like trash than good runing SUVs when i read the ladies post above she has a 2005 JGC and her is acting stupid too - I wonder do the people actrully drive these cars they seel i'm mean really if they did they burn them all up because they are useless - us consumers spend thousands of dallars for these cars and many of us are told by the very sells people "hey great car, no need to worry itall run like a pearl...." this is a bunch of hog waist they do everything but run like a pearl they run absolutly terrible! I will be done paying for my jeep this year! you can be sure I will never ever purchase another JEEP!
  • armyguy01armyguy01 Member Posts: 5
    If you go to this web site you will find a simular problem with the transmission: http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1f/bl695f.htm
    Jeep Grand Cherokee TCC Solenoid
  • armyguy01armyguy01 Member Posts: 5
    Likely a Throttle position sensor
  • ace1981ace1981 Member Posts: 1
    Okay- I've had my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo for 2 years. Bought it with 130k miles on it for a decent price. I put some regular matinence into it (CV boots, breaks, tires, belt, and most recently a radiator)about 1000 miles after putting in the radiator I was driving across country when, after going thru some MAJOR rain, the transmission started 'bogging' or 'hogging up' after shifting @ 45-50mph (most noticable up-hill) I brought it to a tranny place, they said nothing is wrong with it- and it was a 'drivablity problem' so i brought it to Midas, they said it was the tranny- ugh. So a few days ago driving about 60mph it started giving me a jumping sensation, as if i was pumping the gas fast (altho i wasnt)- Today I started it up (yes its getting cold out) put it in reverse and got a Weeerrrrring sound.... Should I bother getting the tranny flushed? Does anyone have any other suggestions? :sick:
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    glad that it will be paied for this year then you can drive in the lake and be done with your head ake
    buy a toy and you will be happy??????
  • jeepney1jeepney1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 65th Anniv. Edition JGC and have been experiencing mild transmission issues. Randomly (and mostly when the motor is cold), the vehicle pulsates while I am steadily pushing in on the accelerator. Almost like I am pumping the gas pedal. Just the other day, I was going along fine in traffic and pressed in quickly on the gas to accelerate and pass another car. The truck sounded like I threw it in neutral and revved up the motor. That's the ONLY time that has ever happened. And lastly, twice, I have been sitting either in a parked position or at a redlight and the engine starts to sputter and sounds like it's smothering. I thought it was going to die at the redlight one day, so I put it in neutral and gave it a rev and it was fine. Anybody else with a 2006 having the same issues?? I've already had the leaking valve transfer case and had it replaced. That didn't resolve the problems.

• moderndaymodernday Member Posts: 1
    This is my second Jeep (previous was a 95 JGCLaredo, LOVED IT -- no problems) I bought the 2005 vehicle while I was overseas in Italy (Active Duty Navy-single mom) and actually had it made for when I came back to the states in Aug 2005. It's been very disheartening because this was one of the biggest things I was looking forward to after being in Italy for three years. Since I have had the vehicle the engine has completely shut off (four different times), leaving me with no powersteering, radio/lights are still on, gauges go to zero, and it's hard to stop the Jeep, which I have to bring it to a complete stop just to turn the enging back on. VERY DANGEROUS! Not to mention I have my six year old with me everytime this has happened. Happened in Jan 06(at a redlight luckily), July 06(on the interstate), Dec 06(on the interstate) and just recently Jan 07(in town - almost rear ended). I took it to different dealers, in July 06 and Jan 07 and both give me the same answer. "The computer isn't reading any problems and tell me that they are downloading some new software"...blah blah blah! Just looking to see if anyone else is having similiar problems before I go to Chrysler with a lemon lawsuit (before me, my son, or someone else on the road is hurt). :sick: :lemon:
  • kenjo1kenjo1 Member Posts: 1
    I've been having the same problem with my 05 Grand Cherokee. Took it to the dealer this morning; they called in the afternoon to report 7 codes on the tranny and they have to pull it to diagnose the problem. I should have it back in a couple of days. Still under warranty, and the dealer pays for the rental car.
  • pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    These problems started when Chyrsler bought the Jeep badging. They started making an inferior vehicle with very cheap parts. I have a 99 Cherokee Limited. Fortunately it was before Chrysler messed with the drive train. Jeeps never ever used the electric swithces to put their vehicles in and out of 4WD for a simple reason. If it is done mechanically there is less potential for problems. The Daimler/Chrysler boys have ruined a good product. My XJ has had two power window failures, an AC evaporator failure and four of my friends with newer Jeeps have all had numerous power window failures. It seems Chrysler would want to make a reliable vehicle or at least have kept the reliable old Jeep realiable but they didn't. :mad:
  • ejv207ejv207 Member Posts: 15
    I have a leased JGC Rocky Mountain 05 3.7L V6 with just about 19,500 miles on it. I experienced similar problems around Spring 2006. This was AFTER the recall was performed on the vehicle. Water contaminated transmission fluid, caused overheating leading to under the hood fires. They installed a new grommet seal and water shield deflector. A few weeks after the recall, I noticed it was still leaking a bit of trans fluid and water, and brought that up at its next service. I was told not to worry about it. Car ran fine for another few weeks, but one morning the engine would not turn over. The lights and radio and interior lights were fine and I just hooked it up for a jump it started up fine. About a week later the car shut off while I was at a light, thankfully, I was not moving when this happened, I turned the ignition and she started right back up. Another few days went by and this time after being idle overnight, none of the lights were working and the clock stopped on the radio. I jumped it once again and drove straight to the dealer. I thought it was an electrical problem but I was surprised when I found out it was actually the transmission. There was a leak in the transmission and almost no fluid was left in the vehicle. This leak was not on the side where the recall was performed. They told me it was a faulty plug/seal towards the rear of the trans. Since then I haven't had any problems with the transmission. I will try to find that service sheet and let you know what they did. You can check the NHTSA website for complaints, service bulletins, and recalls. Some taller people have been hitting the ignition to the off position because of its position on the dash instead of the steering column, that may be the problem, but other people have experienced the stall for no reason like you and I and you can point that the dealer to the TSBs.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm
  • limbolimbo Member Posts: 1
    My transmission starting slipping after geeting warm. I replace the fluid drove 500 miles and replaced it again by dropping the pan. I also put some transmission fix it fluid (2 part) in it. At 60 mph the rpm is steady at 2700 on flat ground. This seems rather high. My guess from experiance with other overdrive transmissions it should probably shift up one more gear. The overdrive off button seems to work properly in that when activated the light comes on and the car then begins to slow down and it feels like the engine is engaged adding braking to the car. In overdrive, the engine slows down but does not add additional braking to the vehicle. If all this is right it seems the car does not go into high gear. My shift lever has 1st,2nd and D(with the circle indicating overdrive. Some Jeeps I've seen have 1st,2nd,3rd,D(with the circle indicating overdrive). Is it possible that I have a 2 speed with overdrive?

If the final analysis is I'm missing high gear; can I drop the pan trouble shoot the problem and have some reasonable chance of fixing it? Should I try changing the fluid again?
    What are the most probably candidates, that can be reached without pulling the trans? Could the torque convertor be causing this. It probably still has a fair amount of dirt in it. Can it be flushed without pulling the tranny? :confuse:
  • cmroarkcmroark Member Posts: 4
    I bought 2006 JGC brand new. I have been having the same problems since about 22,000 miles! At first, it was just hesitating like it did not want to go into gear. However, more recently the engine completely shut off after stopping to make a left turn on the highway the other day. We lost almost all control of the steering and brakes. Fortunately, no one was coming! It also does the stalling thing at redlights and stop signs occasionally, but usually starts right back up. The dealership (who I found did not even document this problem for about the first 5,000 miles it was happening) said they could not reproduce the problem or find anything wrong. I am now at 33,000. Hmmmmm. What is going on here? I just keep taking it back with no explanation or results?

Also, there is a clicking noise in the steering column when turning right or left, regardless of whether the blinker is engaged. Is anyone else experiencing this?

This is so frustrating. This is my third Jeep in 6 years, but my 2000 Cherokke and 2002 Grand Cherokee did not have these sort of problems even well after the warrantly ran out!

Help! :mad:
  • jrslost67jrslost67 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, any news on your truck? mines been at the dealer since monday (jan 15th), for exhaust manifolds to be replaced, climate control head to be replaced and recalibrate my passanger seat (went out of calibration with the body computer . Well thats all fixed and when I had it to the dealer 3 weeks prior to check on all my problems including the transmission he told me that "it is normal for the tranmission to slip, that i have to let it warm up for 30 seconds before i put it in reverse), its a characteristic of jeep" well needless to say I just laughed at him and took the truck (that was 3 weeks ago) I called Chysler direct and filled another complaint about the truck and they were going to send "the proper people" to look at the truck next time it was at the dealer, Well monday the truck was there and thursday nothing was done with the transmission and I got the run around from all 3 service writers, the manager and Diamler Chysler. Friday I got back on the phone with the dealer and told them to keep the truck until they find what is wrong with my truck and not to call me with a bull [non-permissible content removed] answer! hahahaha is all i can say this jeep is a piece of crap, :lemon: LEMON!
    Oh it gets even better. Last night I left work & it stalled (after approximately 10 minutes of driving) in the middle of an intersection at rush hour. When I say stalled, I mean the engine shut down while I was driving! I was in the left turning lane and mid-turn it shut down and I lost steering and brakes!!!!

As soon as I got it started again (after sitting in the middle of the intersection for @ 30 seconds with oncoming traffic) I went straight to the dealership. I told them that I refused to drive it home and that I was leaving it there until it was fixed. They called today with no results, so I told them to keep it again and try tomorrow.

I mean seriously, I almost caused an accident! I am going to the top with this one. I guess they are waiting for someone to get injured or killed before they do anything. This is insane!

They told me the same thing about it is normal for the transmission to slip the first time I complained. Well what the heck do you do when your car dies in the center of the intersection and the light has changed for oncoming traffic? I guess you do like I did & frantically try to start it & hope no one T-bones you!

:lemon:
    Oh, by the way, that "characteristic of Jeep" thing they told you is crap in my opinion. I owned 2002 JGC and Cherokee sport before this one (with much love) and they never did that or had these sort of problems!
    My 2005 JGC has done the same thing several times (with loss of brakes, steering, etc.). it also dies at stop signs and redlights. 3 dealerships tell me there is nothing wrong ("we cannot reproduce the problem"). I guess they are waiting for someone to get in a serious accident. I have contacted Chrysler and intend to file a complaint for recall! :mad:

Please keep me informed.
  • jeepster4mejeepster4me Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 jgc limited, same thing happened to me august before last. i was going with the flow of traffic about 70, and all of a sudden while the pedal is down the radio goes off, and the lights clicked and then my car just started decelarating, after i pumped on the gas for like 5 seconds, it started back up and the radio came back on. i spent $100 having it plugged in to tell me what was wrong and they told me that it was multiple misfires from my spark plugs, then i had to go have my transmission flushed and done something to that at a special transmission place,which was like $800. i really havent been taken these are just the costs to fix. i have wrote several letters to the recall boards because if thre are enough complaints they will make it a recall and then if you save your receipts they will allegedly reimburse you. we will see. but i bet you are having multiple misfires of the spark plugs. i have had to have all my spark plugs replaced like 8 times now. i mean isnt that alot?
  • nothappy9nothappy9 Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has been a lemon. The transmission started the "surging" about 9 months ago. We took it in and they reprogrammed the transmission and sealed the transmission leakage problem. Driving it home, when we tried to stop, the motor revved up and the vehicle stalled out; the Check Engine light came on. Took it back to the dealer, they replaced the downshift electronic module and reprogammed the computer. We continued with the surging problem. The dealship acknowledged there was a problem and installed a software upgrade. It was still engaging and disengaging the torque converter causing surging. This time tghey replaced the engine control module and the entire transmission. Still has a problem. The Chrysler rep came to talk to us and told us it was normal. They put some sort of viscosity enhancer in the transmission and sent us on our way. We are going the lemon law route at this point. The dealership was great in all this...Chrysler is just blowing us off.
  • slg2874slg2874 Member Posts: 1
    Hello! I'm new here and was looking for anyone with the same problem I'm currently having with my '99 JGC when I came across your post. I know it's been awhile since your post and don't know if you've had the problem taken care of, but I also had this problem with the car dying, losing steering, brakes, etc. Scary! Just thought I'd post that my problem was fixed by replacing the speed sensor. My current problem is with the tranny not wanting to switch gears when I drive the car after it's been sitting awhile, usually in the morning. Also, the whole truck will randomly vibrate loudly and feel like it's pulling back for about 2 to 3 secs. and then stop. It happened to me three different times this evening at 65 mph. Anyway, didn't mean for this to be too long, just wondered if you'd had your problem solved...
  • janprejanpre Member Posts: 4
    A few months ago I started to have an intermittent problem with my '01 Grand Cherokee Laredo. When making left hand turns (especially coming from a full stop)I would accelerate and you could hear the engine rev but I'd be standing still for a second until it seemed to catch and then I'd lurch forward. Twice it happened to me while backing out of a space. The day I was to bring it into a local mechanic after work, we had a snow/ice storm. On the way to work I shifted into 4WD and immediately started to smell something burning. I shifted back into 2WD and continued onto work. However, I could hear it was still in 4WD. I live less than a mile from work so I continued on. After work I was waiting for a light and when it turned green I stepped on the gas and I heard a bang and felt a jolt. I thought I was hit in the back but there was nobody behind me. I began driving and I could still hear it was in 4WD. I went right to the mechanic and gave them this info as well as the original problem of the hesitation while turning left and backing up. $1800 later I was told they replaced the transfer case and it was fine. I picked it up and within a few days I was having the same original hesitation problem again. I called them and was told to bring it in. They adjusted something and said it was fine. A few days later we had another snow storm. My husband was driving and he put it into 4WD and again there was a bang and a lurching as though we were hit in the back. Again we could not get it out of 4WD even though the gear shift indicated it was in 2WD. Again we brought it back to the mechanic. He kept it for a week as we had some family problems and didn't need it back right away. He said he and two other mechanics drove it around all week after making more adjustments to the transfer case and now it is perfect. I picked it up yesterday and was only about 1/8 of a mile from the mechanic when I began having the hesitation problem again. This time it was with right hand turns and well as when stepping on the gas from a stop position. It is worse than before and almost constant now. He told us when we brought it in the first time - when we asked if this was a transmission problem - that our transmission was fine. I am so sorry we didn't bring this to the dealer in the first place. Anyway, my husband will not allow me to drive this now, he feels it is unsafe. Now we have to bring it to the dealer and probably pay another couple of grand to fix this.
    Has anyone else had these problems? Does it sould like two seperate problems or are they related? Is it the transmission? Does it sound like a transfer case problem? What the heck is a transfer case? Help!
  • janprejanpre Member Posts: 4
    Update on the above. I brought the Jeep to the dealer on 2/25. Today is 3/5 and they still have it. I talked to the mechanic on Thur. last week and after having it for 4 days, he said it needs switch AND it probably has electrical problems. He said he'd get back to me after he knew more. By Sat. we heard nothing so we stopped by the dealer to see if there was any other news. We were told that they were driving it around and were only able to experience the hesitation problem once all week. I find this so hard to believe since it happened 7 times to me just driving it to the dealer from my house - I actually counted to be sure it was really happening. Anyway, he says it is almost impossible to diagnose since it is so intermittent. He didn't mention the switch or the electrical problem and when we asked about the transmission, we were told that it may not be that but if it is, it will cost about $3,000 just for that. I am so desperate for any info anyone can give me about this. I can't believe they can't figure out what is wrong with it. Right now they seem to be speculating that it is an electrical problem. The only problem I've had was that my seat warmers did not work, and haven't for over a year, but since I never use them, I didn't really care. Now I am wondering if this was an indication of a bigger problem? :cry:
  • steve35steve35 Member Posts: 6
    I can't help you with the 4WD issue but I have a suggestion for the revving before it goes into gear. Try this: change the transmission oil and filter ASAP. My 2000 JGC would come out of gear on left turns and would delay in upshift. The vehicle has mostly highway miles; <100K miles on the trans fluid change(it's allowed in the handbook). I had a trusted wrench change out the fluid and filter. When he dropped the pan, he found lots of material, probably from the friction plates. Anyway, new fluid and filter and the problem is 99.9% gone.

From what I understand, this transmission is an old design, like the 4.0 litre engine. In fact, up until 99, the trans required tightening of the bands(see Haynes). I THINK that the extra material in the pan is related to the design on the design of friction surfaces.

The moral of the story, try the fluid and filter change before you spend another buck. I think it'll do more than all of the rest of the work you've done. Also, don't rely on the 100k service interval on the transmission. Change the fluid and filter at 30k and no more.

PS A Durango with the same issue and trans went to the same wrench. They did the fluid and filter and the issue resolved itself. The Durango had 180k miles on it. :)
  • rolljrollj Member Posts: 13
    I have been having problems with a ticking when accelearing from a stop that i have had in several times to the dealership. I think it is an exhaust leak from either the manifold or the joint where it joins the y-pipe. I was reading your reponse and was wondering if this is similar to what you were experiencing before you had the manifolds replaced. It loudest first thing in the morning.
  • stucker1stucker1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Cherokee Jeep. During the bad weather, someone switch my "2WD" to "4WD" (full time). I want to switch it back to "2WD". Should I be in neutral or park when I switch?
  • jcvedderjcvedder Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problems w/ my 2000 JGC. Left hand turns. It hesitated almost everytime. Sounded like the most bizarre thing to me. And sometimes when coming to a complete stop it would lurch into gear. I was going to have it looked at and one day decided I couldn't wait, looked at the fluid & it seemed low. So I added just a quart of an ATF+4 transmission fluid. It is what Chrysler puts in all their transmissions, and almost immediately I noticed that the left hand turn issue was gone. Now it hasn't done anything major like stalled on me yet or felt like I've been rear ended but I'm afraid its headed that way. Personally I would have a good local transmission shop look into rebuilding it for you before I spend over $1000 on it again. I then had the transmission fluid completely extracted and replaced fresh, havent changed the filter yet, the guys at the shop advised that it could be bad stirring up all the metal shavings inside. They sucked out the fluid with their fancy vacuum machine and it was supposed to be better to keep metal from getting all jammed up in there. Which it probably already is anyways. But nonetheless it works OK for now. I've recently heard kind of a grinding noise sometimes when stepping on it hard and that worries me, so I've constantly got my eye out for something to start going majorly wrong. But at that point I think I'm going to suck it up and say new trans time. I don't feel like its an electrical problem. Jeeps are known for that issue, but if its anything like mine, it acts more like a mechanical problem, otherwise adding fluid wouldn't have helped. PS transfer case is what engages the 4WD part--transfers power to the front wheels also.
  • doug217doug217 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 97 GCL. You are supposed to be able to shift from 4WD(full time, part time, or whatever) to 2WD at any driving speed, according to the manual. But I often shift from 4WD to 2WD when I am sitting still and with the main shifter in Neutral. It also helps if you back up for a few feet afterwards. It helps it disengage from 4WD back and engage 2WD.

Btw, I have run into some intermittent problems over the past 3-4 years when shifting from 4WD back to 2WD, even though I have only used 4WD occassionally, only about once a year. I like to keep it in 2WD drive unless there is snow on the road, then I use 4WD. Occassionally, after shifting back into 2WD, I can hear a whirling sound coming from the front and the front jerk intermittently while turning. This lasts until it finally disengages from 4WD back to 2WD. Each time this happened I re-read the manual to make I had shifted correctly, and each time I reread where it says that it is ok to shift at any speed. The last time this happened it didn't stop the whirling sound and jerking until I heard a big "bang" sound, and then it was ok. So, I drove it to a trans mechanic and he drove it and told me there is probably a problem with a vacuum canister in the front. I also called (today) a radio show about car repair and the host (pat goss) told me I should have it checked out because the front transaxal can be damaged in just a few seconds. The Selectrac trans is part mechanical, electical, vacuum, and part computer run. I mention all of this so that you will know what to do if you ever have these problems.
  • sassymama86sassymama86 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 JGCL. It has 240,000 miles. When I bought it it had 160,000 and it's been doing this since I got it. It slips really bad into 3rd gear (it's automatic), and it's even worse when it's cold. When I try to pass people, it chugs like it's not getting enough gas. It gets worse the longer I drive it. I had it hooked up to a computer, and it came back saying that the transmission temperature sensor was bad, yet my haynes manual has nothing about it and the Jeep dealership told me that there isn't one on the grand cherokee. Any clue what could be going on???
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    what color is it????

would be nice if you told us the engine type tran type etc
  • parkrogparkrog Member Posts: 3
    2005 grand cherokee with 3.7 liter, 45000 mile and complete transmission breakdown. Car won't move, grinding noise, towed to dealer. Anyone had similar problem? Hope covered by 7/70 warranty? :cry:
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    I am planning to buy a 2007 GC 2WD.

However, after reading all the transmission complaints about the 2005 & 2006 models, I am beginning to get nervous.

Did Jeep make and changes to the transmission in the 2007 model?

Thanks!
    My jeep is all wheel drive unit. I know 2wd will have different transmission. For you probably won't be a problem.
    To anyone that is watching. I posted the 2005 GJC lemon posting. :lemon: I solved my problem today. I took a huge loss and traded it in on a different car. :sick: All I can say is that for the last year the intermittent surging, :mad: stalling and the absolute lack of positive response from Chrylser has left a REALLY bad taste in my mouth. So long Chrysler.... In conclussion, if you own the 2005 and newer GJC withthe 4.7 Liter engine (a sweet engine) with the 5 speed transmission...... GET RID OF IT!!!!
    I posted the 2005 GJC lemon posting. I solved my problem today (May 17, 2007). I took a huge loss and traded it in on a different car. All I can say is that for the last year the intermittent surging, stalling and the absolute lack of positive response from Chrysler has left a REALLY bad taste in my mouth. So long Chrysler....

In conclusion, if you own the 2005 and newer GJC with the 4.7 Liter engine (a sweet engine) with the 5 speed transmission...... GET RID OF IT!!!! If you are thinking about getting one.... DON'T!!!
  • bc8396bc8396 Member Posts: 1
    I am having this problem (ticking sound when accelerate from stop) diagnosed today. Do you have any updated information you could share with me?
    Dealer has Jeep. Factory certified mechanic is taking it apart today :sick: but becouse it was grinding and won't move I know its going to be bad.
    I have been dealing with the dealer for about 6 monthes now on the issues of ticking while accelerating. They have given me a array of explinations, but I'll condense it down to what i know for sure. First thing in the morning it sounds for sure like an exhaust leak that goes away as it gets up to operating temperature. Putting an aftermarket exhaust kit on makes the ticking more noticeable. Sum different brands of oil help lessen the noise. Grand Cherokees with the 5.7 and 4.7 both make this noise. When your at the dealer again have the service manager test drive a band new 07 with the 5.7 and the 4.7 with you. Some people claim its noise from the MDS lifters and some say its a characteristic of the restricted exhaust or a oil passage problem in the block. I'm sorry this isn't to helpful but its as far as i've gotten. Every dealer i have brought it to did everything they could to get rid of me. If you have more luck please let me know.
  • troll157troll157 Member Posts: 17
    I have an '89 Laredo ('90?) - 4.0, 4 speed automatic, 4/WD. I'm having other problems, windows slow, doors (falling off) or refusing to unlock, (to name only a few). I Love my Jeep and I'll overlook the minor things 'til I "have time" to catch-up. About a month ago I pulled a 25-27,000 bus off 101. Wasn't far, 2 or 300 yards all totaled. Low 4, 1500 rpm, (again), all went as expected.

Awhile later I noticed engine reving from 2000-3000 rev's, cruising 65 or so. More throttle = 2000 rpm. In and out of O/D? Only seems to be happening at a very light throttle. Seems I remember shifting manually into 3rd, (a day or two later 35mph or so, same symptom?), different speeds, diff. rev's., (Possibly It may've been an erratic, or unusual shift point), just can't say for sure. I tend to pull shift lever back 'til it stops, i.e. "D", not sure what happens w/selector in third. Anyway... Couple weeks ago new tires. Got onto the freeway, thought U-joint had suddenly gone. Too fast a vibration for tires. Reading about t/converter lock-up etc. Maybe the two are related. Regardless, anyone out there got any ideas? 230 k on the odometer. I can't lock the driver's door and windows are sometimes too slow, but as I said, "I Love my Jeep", I only need for it to keep up w/me. Cheers
  • kmitch1kmitch1 Member Posts: 4
    At 160K mi. I suddenly started started leaking ATF. ('00 GCL 4WD, 4.7V8). Shop says cracked xmission coil inside radiator. Replaced radiator and transmission, $2400! 200 mi. later, a "low coolant" warning. checked radiator & found a "milkshake" of coolant and ATF! Bad radiator again!
    Obviously ATF contaminated coolant thru the cooling system.
    Question: How concerned should I be that my new transmission, if they balk at replacing it, has a problem with contaminated ATF, (clutches, seales, etc.), and should I insist on changing the transmission...under warrantee.
    kmitch
  • subystisubysti Member Posts: 2
    2006 Limited 5.7 hemi, 65000 miles. Car would get stuck in 3rd gear. Also had times when it wouldn't go in to gear. Engine light came on and when I put it in drive it would stay in 3rd gear. Had to have transmission solenoid pack replaced in transmission $700.00 with parts and labor. I've also had starter replaced, had battery die for no reason anyone could find and many other little problems. For $40,000+ I paid for this piece of dung I should've bought a Toyota truck.
    I have an 05 limited 5.7l and have so far had only had a few "concerns" with engine noise. Be careful what you wish for with the new toyotas, they have been having problems with them snapping intake camshafts ( http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/toyota/tundra/camshaft/camshaft.html ). Besides the QuadraDrive II system is the best on the market in my opinion.
  • gdziedzicgdziedzic Member Posts: 1
    I am having a similar problem. Did you ever find out what the problem was?
    GD