Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

Comments

• cimchazz1cimchazz1 Member Posts: 7
    I put about 6 oz. of something I bought from Auto Zone called "No Leak (by Gold Eagle, makers of Sta-Bil) into the trans 5 days ago and the shift problem seems like it is almost gone. It will be interesting to see how long it stays this way, but wanted to report back on something that seems to have helped on my trans 2-3 shift issue. This stuff claims to condition seals and stop leaks. I read the labels on all the trans fix stuff they had and took a chance on this one. Now I have to figure out what my #45 fault code means that comes up twice.
  • hunterbayehunterbaye Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 1996 Grand Cherokee with 95K miles. Took to Chrysler 5 star dealer. Had them do a used car check and asked them to service the transmission. They stated that it had never been changed and to do it now would do more harm than good. WHY?
    Thanks,
    Jefff
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    i change my trans oil my self and go 50000 75000 miles and dont have prob

change filters at same time should not be a prob
  • icejiggericejigger Member Posts: 1
    I've searched and asked around and i can't seem to find what my problem is hope someone can help. I have a 96 JGC Larado 4.0 straight 6 156,000 miles. When I go from drive to reverse there is a large vibration, I am guessing its the transmission since nothing else makes sense and it kind of feels like the vibration is coming from it because it feels more back end. It will not do it if i go from park to reverse. Fluids are good and i was just hoping to know what the problem may be and a solution, I am kinda of planning to put a new tranny in next summer but i will do it sooner if i have to. Thanks!
  • jimmy48jimmy48 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee. The engine service light came on and i put a scanner on it and it said transmission solenoid A. I was told i should replace all solenoids and it would cost $450.00 dollars. Were is it and how hard would it be if i replace it.
  • redneckskeeterredneckskeeter Member Posts: 2
    So I have a 2006 JGC with about 42k on it. Well for the past few weeks I have been noticing a few drops of tranny fluid under the jeep. Well today I noticed its more than a few drops its a small puddle. So I crawled under the jeep and was able to locate where it is coming from. Seems to be leaking around the bolts of the tranny pan???? They all seem tight so could this just be a bad seal? :confuse: :(
  • mrstevesmrsteves Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee Larado which I bought last Oct. it had 25000 mi on it
    well from the beginning I heard a clunking noise I assume is from the transmission, it happens at low speeds 5-10 mi per hour. If you driving at that speed and go to accelrate thats when I hear a clunk or a banging noise it's hard to describe but it happens all the time in addition to that I also have the hesitation problems going up hills and an allmost chattering like noise on the highway. I have taken it several different Jeep dealers and they all say not a problem. Any anwsers????
  • indianajeep06indianajeep06 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 JGC had the same problem. 3rd time they fixed so far. They replaced the Trans Adapter Plug. Knock on wood, they replaced it 3 days ago and no problem so far. But mine would do it cold or warmed up. Would hapen this time and maybe the 6th time I put it in rev and then maybe the 11th time. Just never knew. 1st 2 times were told we came not duplicate the problem. But they were only driving 1/2 mile by the trip odem. Kept telling them they have to drive it for 1/2 hour and put it in rev several times.
  • jeepjeepdawn94jeepjeepdawn94 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there I have a 1995 JGC Limited V-8 auto 4x4 driving down the road she shifts perfectly fine no slipping or anything until driven for a while then she just won't move it stays running and revs up but it's like the tranny is in neutral if I shut it down and let her cool for a while she'll go just fine til she warms back up!!!!! Any ideas what it is??? Other than this issue I love my GC and my 94 Wrangler.
  • jim2345jim2345 Member Posts: 45
    I bought my jeep for skiing and do a lot of driving in the mountains in winter. At the end of the day I have to come down steep and winding mountain access roads that have switchbacks and sometimes snow and ice and it often flurries in the late afternoon while I'm doing this. One of the things I really like about my Laredo is the Select-Trac drive system that I place in the "full-time" 4WD mode while descending these roads and I also use the switch on the transmission selector handle that prevents the transmission from shifting into overdrive. The problem I'm having is that the transmission shifts anyway - back and forth - in and out of overdrive when the switch is engaged and going downhill. It's like it's trying to hold 3rd gear but just can't do it. It should hold, I think, because these are very low RPM - under 2000. So instead of providing some smooth and gentle engine braking during this descent (my intention), I get exactly what I don't want - constant shifting in and out of overdrive and when this caused some skidding, I gave up on it and shifted into 2nd gear. This works fine but is very slow and provides too much engine braking - but better than skidding off the road. These are roads where they may not find your body until Spring if you go over the edge.

When I went to the dealer about the problem, they failed to diagnose the problem. Instead they wanted me to have them do the 30,000 mile maintenance service which includes transmission service (replace fluid). It also includes most everything else that can be done under the hood - even replacing the spark plugs (platinum - aren't these good for 100k miles?). I argued with them about performing this $600 service because my feeling is that the car is under warranty and they should be able to diagnose the problem without it costing me anything. I kept my head though and suggested that I would pay for the service if it fixed my problem but if not, the service work would be on them. They wouldn't go for it and I walked out.

That was 3 years ago and I just never use the "overdrive defeat" switch because it doesn't work and if I have to have some engine braking, I shift down to 2nd. At the time I thought I would trade in my Jeep when paid off and get something else, but I find myself wanting to hang onto it because of the economy and now I'd like to try again to get this fixed.

Does anyone have an idea about what is wrong? Also - what do you think of my dealer's response to my problem? They were basically saying that they thought the $600 service work would fix my problem but were not willing to put up the money if they were wrong.

- Jim
  • gxg1gxg1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 JGC with these exact symptoms. So far the dealer has replaced the shifter bezel. Apparently the bezel has a transmission control module that is considered the same part number. This has fixed the stalling problem. If you have an extended service agreement from Chrysler it will take a few calls to a "senior technician" for them to recognize that the piece is not cosmetic.
  • pell312pell312 Member Posts: 8
    Have someone check out the transfer case. I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo and have replaced the transfer case twice, working on the third. I know that clunking noise all too well (unfortunately). Jeep transfer cases are inherently leaky - a recall was issued for several model years...ended with 1998 models - for that reason. I had the first one replaced with a part off another Jeep, which, obviously was also defective. The second time it happened, the mechanic attempted to repair it, while claiming the repaired part would be superior. I'm taking it back to him on Thursday b/c the thing is leaking again. Jeep has no interest in backing their product--basically, it sucks to be us.
    Check transfer case......Jeep transfer cases are garbage & inherently leaky. I've replaced 3 times.
    Hey. FYI...back in August, that was the same repair the mechanic made on mine. Replaced the chain & overhauled...only he charged me $1100. And guess what??!?!? Took it in for oil change last week & the mechanic there brought me into the bay to show me that the transfer case was leaking. :mad: Good news is, I did get a 12mo/12,000 mile warranty on parts and labor. Just thought I'd give you a heads up....keep an eye on it. :confuse:
    Hey-I know it's a bit late, but your Jeep transfer case was probably included in the recall. Jeep recalled 1990-98 models for defective, leaky transfer cases. You should call them....may be able to get reimbursed for the repair.
  • trek87trek87 Member Posts: 49
    yes, the transmission fluid temperature affects its viscosity, and therefore the torque at which it shifts will change slightly with temperature. my '98 hangs in 1st and 2nd just a tiny bit longer on cold start - perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.
  • eralstoneralston Member Posts: 1
    Golly, do I agree with you! I have a 2005 w/ 42,000. Since 25,000 I have had a mild bucking when I slowly go up hills. I took it to Jeep while still under warranty and they told be they couldn't find it. I took it back after it was off warranty and they still couldn't find it but recommended a $200.00 fuel line flush. I still have the problem and Jeep acts like I am nuts. Now I know the only thing these service centers do is check the computer chip. No one takes a car for spin anymore. This is my fourth Jeep but it may be my last. It just bugs me, and there is nothing you can do about it.

ER
  • KwerkyKwerky Member Posts: 1
    I brought my JGC into my dealer today to have it checked out. I noticed a small puddle under the car that was tranny fluid. They told me that I have to replace my tranmission coolant lines, is this a common problem and does anyone know if it is easy to do the repair without the dealer getting involved. I really don't want to pay them a few hundred to fix it, if I can have my husband do it for less.
  • tht828tht828 Member Posts: 4
    I have the same rough idle problem on my 2004 GC. Did you ever find the cause of the vibration?
  • prrriiideprrriiide Member Posts: 1
    Has slipped occasionally, always in cold weather, always while turning a corner without stopping. It would seem like it popped out of gear for a 1/2 second, then right on as usual. Fluid looks OK. I was going to get the fluid/filters done today, but night before last it seemed to crap out all together - won't shift out of first gear at all.

Is it dead? Solenoid/gov. sensor? Rebuild/replace? I read someplace about a fuse that effects the electronic transmission. What are the most likely scenarios? Costs? Major = >$1500, Moderate = $500 - $1500, Minor = <$500.

Thx.
  • kidrockkidrock Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 GJC with the straight six 4.0 engine. Recently I was in a drive thru in drive with my foot on the brake. Once I lifted my foot from the brake and tried to accelerate the jeep responded as if in neutral (it is an automatic). I shifted into park then back into drive, then was able to go. I am a female on a very limited budget and would like to avoid the mechanic rip-off scene. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution? Thanks
  • troll157troll157 Member Posts: 17
    After breaking sharply, then accelerating, I'd suggest fluid level. Sitting still....
    Possibly you knocked the shift lever from D while shuffling through your purse or such? It doesn't take much to shift trans. from D to N. With good tight linkage it may take very little. Lever/needle wouldn't necessarily have to indicate N for the trans. to be out of D. Have you experienced the same effect since?
  • kidrockkidrock Member Posts: 2
    thanks, I have checked the fluid and it is not low. Don't think I inadvertently shifted out of D because before shifting into P and being able to go I tried R and I could back up but still couldn't go in D. Then after putting it in P I was finally able to go. My daughter was backing out of the driveway and had a similar experience in R. The jeep does have 142,000 miles but still runs strong, 4 wheel drive strong also. Not sure what to make of it???
  • pigeonjoepigeonjoe Member Posts: 1
    Car stalls. You need to shut car and restart. 4.0 motor with 110,000 miles. Have replaced idle control, mass air, cam sensor, ignition switch, pcm. Help!
  • bcohn21bcohn21 Member Posts: 10
    I will never buy another Jeep again. I had an 05. I had tranny problems so the dealer rebuilt it and once I got it back 2 days later Jeep had it again. I just traded it a month ago for a Sante Fe. Great vehicle.
  • troll157troll157 Member Posts: 17
    Would've been the simple solution, huh? With all the engine/fuel/power-train management sys's these days, the list could go on for quite a length.
    I have some busses here that are weak around the "valve-spools" in the trans. and filters are hard to find, sometimes they stick and stay when they shouldn't. Anyways..... Causes me to wonder if trans. fluid/filter has been changed within that 142k. on yours. Seems like the spools in the Jeep might be shifted via. coils instead of the good old fashioned mechanical means. If so, could be loose wire, weak coil, OH.....
    Seems there is a switch for telling the system what gear is selected, maybe? Damn, getting old sux.
    Me, I'd crawl under one of mine with a 24 oz. and mash the hell out of something I shouldn't and HAVE to do the research AGAIN.
    Have the codes run on it and search for any faults that might've been logged.
    Just be sure NOT to "flush" the transmission. Fluid and filter change, fill with the proper fluid type/amount and see what happens. I've never changed the fluid in either of mine, nor the filters, so I'm not much help beyond this. 215k on the '89 and 114k on the 94.
    Being a "mechanic" equipment without moving parts ain't supposed to work anyway, and there's a lot of 'em on vehicles these days.
    If I think /remember anything else pertinent, I'll not hesitate to let you know.
    Best Regards
  • rozfineartrozfineart Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When it's cold, I start out and everything seems normal. But when I stop and take off again, the rpm's go up but the vehicle hardly moves, it's like the clutch is slipping, but it's an auto transmission. It can be very dangerous if I am trying to pull out in traffic.
  • woodyy2000woodyy2000 Member Posts: 1
    i had the exact same problem on my way home from out of town. i am looking into it now. when you were driving anywhere maintaining a consistant speed did your JGC change gears with no reason? did it go into overdrive then out of overdrive? did you feel any jerking when driving at a consistant speed?
  • transmishbluestransmishblues Member Posts: 2
    1996 Jeep laredo won't shift out of 1st gear any ideas anybody???
  • transmishbluestransmishblues Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, It refuses to shift out of low gear...It has been idling very high at stops.. Like it wants to jump the start, to bad I ain't racing. It also likes to die unless put in neutral, all very sporadic.. Except the shifting thing. It has come to stay... Any solutions for any of these problems??
  • fortislander80fortislander80 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 with the same issue, slips in cold. i have owned it less than a month...and i've noticed that i do not have OD for the most part unless you have it to the floor. once the vehicle is warm it is better, but not as good as it should be. My tranny light came on on the way home...i noticed a puddle the size of 2 basketballs on the garage floor. less than a month..is not good...i am going to the dealer to B*$# them out...it's under warrenty for a couple months at least...but it still is upsetting. I have a sealed tranny too so I coulnd't check the fluid to see it was low. I am hoping that is all...tighten the pan, top it off and i will be good. I guess we will see. anyone feel free to help on this on things to watch. it's my first jeep and this site is making me worried about the decission. it drove GREAT when i test drove it. on the highway and all...but it is not so hot anymore.
    you can usually test the transmission fluid level via a dipstick located near the firewall under the hood. this site shouldn't make you worry about owning a jeep - they don't have any more issues than other cars, it's just that there are a lot of us out there and a lot of us that really care about our own. besides, you'll be the only 4wd vehicle heading up the mountain that doesn't get stuck ;). good luck.
  • fortislander80fortislander80 Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately i have a sealed transmission...only a dealer can access it to check levels. i had a leaking sensor that needed replaced for 200. on my way home now i have another check engine light. took it back (less than an hour after i left the dealer) cylindar 3 is misfiring. they blamed i on the car wash on the way home and canceled the code. just went to the store...came back on. grrr.
  • kristenjkristenj Member Posts: 1
    my 2001 JGCL 6 cylinder engine rpm's every so often increase while in park. Had it in the garage for oil change, tech said that it may be transmission pressure sensor that needs to be replaced. The rpms' also seems to increase while driving without any speed change or notice of gear shifting. Please help! It has currently 115,000 miles.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It could be something as simple as a faulty O2 sensor.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • JeepGirl2212JeepGirl2212 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 JGC Laredo. Yesterday, I was driving down the road and the RPMs were steady but my speedometer kept dropping...while my foot was still on the gas. Thought maybe my tranny fluid was low, but it was fine. Just to be sure...had it drained and replaced, and even put a new speed sensor in it. No shavings in the old fluid or nothing. After all that, it still sits running, but when you go to put it into gear, it won't shift into drive nor reverse. What's going on? Any ideas?
  • gurlpearlgurlpearl Member Posts: 4
    My wifes 2000 cherokee has a 4 wheel drive light that is not lighting up, also when we put it in 4 wheel drive it's a little tough at times, is there a specific speed that needs to be attained while putting it into 4 wheel drive,..is 3-4 mph sufficient and does cold weather affect how it all works,...if we dont get it in all the way does that affect the switch on the light and also cause it to slip out,...it is working now ,...and are there any fluid or grease issues to deal with ? Thanks,Lenny
  • ez2ez2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 JGCL WITH 5.9 it drove just fine until last parked now it will drive in reverse but nothing forward,checked in all speeds and HI/LO I checked fluid, relay and shift links all are ok, WHATS UP!!
  • nathan2012nathan2012 Member Posts: 1
    I just fixed my 99 JGCL also that needed the governor pressure transducer and governor pressure solenoid replaced. Remove the transmission pan and filter and u will see both parts. remove a a few 7/16 bolts and torque head bolts. Fixes the prob.
  • ray_in_NCray_in_NC Member Posts: 1
    1998, 6 cyl, auto. 200K miles. GREAT vehicle, with a history. i have had trouble twice before with backup lights not coming on, tranny wouldnt shift into OD etc. removed transmission switch on pass side of vehicle, disassembled it, did my own rebuild, sanding it smooth as the copper swipe bands indicated wear. cleaned and replaced dielectric grease. this fixed the above both times. Now, I start the vehicle, select any gear, no shifting. level on driver side (linkage) moves, but nothing happens. repeated the above repair, but to no avail. Fluid level is clean and at proper level. Ideas?
  • 4partsmike4partsmike Member Posts: 1
    TSB has been used twice and transmission still slips after sitting for even a few hours. The slippage lasts from 2-8 seconds. Chrysler's response - "transmission operating normal at this time". Driving uphill at 65mph cruise on, speed slows by 5-7 mph and then the transmission shifts to 2nd unless I manually shift it before losing speed. PCM is not matching engine performance to transmission gear ratio to maintain speed, for 3 years have been told software is on the way. Engine is 4.7V8.
    ideal shifting speed for the transfer case (TC) varies slightly - check your owner's manual. cold weather mainly affects the TC fluid viscosity, but if everything is operating correctly, at most you would just notice a slight stiffness in the shifter and maybe some additional noise.

you should service the TC and both differentials every 30K.
  • WmGWmG Member Posts: 1
    Scoped my Jeep yesterday to get back a 1762 and a 1763 code..Gov. pressure at 57 psi and never moves. I thought new transducer/sensor/or solenoid would help. But they say,"no" we have to tear down the transmission to see the real problem ($978 just to start) Signs of small meatl shavings in fluid, they say. Is that not common in 8 yr old vehicles.Am I being taken for a ride? Supposed reputible shop, but I trust no mechanics since I am not one. Thanks.
  • rewirewi Member Posts: 2
    I had a problem with my 2000 - it dropped out of over-drive and the transmission over temperature light came on. I allowed the tranny shop to go the route yours suggests. I thought they were the experts with their computers etc... Big mistake. Same problem re-occurred - they were mystified. Only happened when the weather was really hot. Turned out to be some $100 part which I don't remember but which was not part of the rebuild. Might have been the governor. Anyway, when they finally replaced it the problem went away.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    could be the solenoid and pressure switch assembly replaced as a compleat part mounts on side of valve body inside of trans oil pan
  • SvennypoSvennypo Member Posts: 2
    My jeep drives fine when cold in the morning, but when the tempeture reaches normal operating tempeture it will not go forward or backwards, the dipstick shows that it is i pint over full when in neutral. From reading all of the blogs. they say to check the tps sensor, or the governor control solenoid? The answer in "none" of these. If the Jeep moves Backwards it not a sensor, or control solenoid problem. It's an internal fluid pressure problem. You must rebuild it or get a good used replacement. Sorry the bad news.
  • Jeepster95Jeepster95 Member Posts: 2
    My transmission won't shift into O.D. I changed fluid and filter checked fuses still nothing I pulled the plug off the back of the O.D. on/off switch plugged it in and it worked, the next day same thing no O.D., I unplugged switch and retried it but nothing. The indicator light only works on/off if the vehicle isn't running, When its running the light comes on right away then goes off but still wont shift into O.D. no response from switch (engine and trans are at operating temp)
  • imontes14imontes14 Member Posts: 1
    WHEN I SHIFT INTO DRIVE IT TAKES 2 SECONDS TO KICK IN AND THEN IN RED LIGHTS WHEN IT TURNS GREEN AND YOU GO IT TENDS TO VIBRATE FROM THE BACK TIRES.. I TOOKEN IT TO A MECHANIC AND THEY SAY ITS THE CLUTCHES THAT ARE MESSED UP.. ANYBODY HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM AND IT WAS SOMETHING SIMPLE?????
  • colin5colin5 Member Posts: 1
    hi I had a similar problem withh my tran tell i found the throtle cable at the intake had to much slack in it, so i resyncronized the throtle cable and trans cable. now it hangs a bit longer in lower gears but at least it goes,
  • amcthrasheramcthrasher Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2006 JGC, and I have the same issue at stop lights. Not every stop light, just when I have been running at highway speeds for what seems 5 or minutes. I have also thought that I needed to put in neutral, but i have left it in gear and it never shuts off, just feels like it.