Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Nissan Altima

Comments

• tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Honda has a lifetime warranty on mufflers

Really? How did I miss that? For all years?
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Ok tallman1. I kind of misread it. It is a "replacement" lifetime warranty. In other words, all you will have to pay for is one muffler for the life of the car (as long as you own it). All I know for sure is 03 models, but other years are probably the same.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    ABS will in fact increase stopping distances often times (on dry pavement particularly), but if you can't steer the vehicle AND stop, it still becomes an issue of controlling the car in an emergency.

I will be the first to admit, that when I had my wreck (June 2005), I was probably better than a typical 17 year old would have been on the roads (because I'm particularly AGAINST doing anything that will raise my insurance rates), but I was still inexperienced by most standards (still am in a lot of eyes, having logged about 70,000 miles total since I got my learner's permit). Still, in a split-second, I want to stand on the brakes and steer away from the hazard - something ABS allows me to do.

Some people who never have had ABS are convinced that they do not need it, and I say more power to them - save the $400 or $500. I have pumped my brakes many times at one particular intersection in downtown Birmingham that manages to be as slick as ice in a decent rain. Still, I ended up squarely in the middle of that intersection as the light turned red, and also managed to be about one-half lane-width to the right as I slid...only traveling at the speed limit no less (35 MPH). I couldn't pump the brakes nearly as quickly and efficiently as ABS could, and ended up in the intersection as a result. Luckily, the light was just changing, and I just went on through the intersection (in effect running the red light) without a problem. With ABS, I think I would've stopped quicker, or at least, within my lane.
  • gasmizrgasmizr Member Posts: 40
    Like I said before only on the EX. You can not just order it as an option as with the Altima. Wanted an LX with power seats...Honda's answer; buy the EX but I can not fit with the sunroof :confuse:

You are right about ABS is standard on just about everything. GM has had it across the board for a long time now. Maybe Nissan has it right since most folks looking for mid priced performance sedan probably will not want it just like they probably would not want stability control. They must have done some research or it would cause them to loose sales on the safety issue.

On the break in period front. The dealer told me there was no break in period either. However, in reading the manual it stated to keep the car under 4K RPM till it has 1200 miles on it. The manual called this the break in period so I would assume Nissan wants you to take it a little easy when you first get the new car. :surprise: Always better the read the friendly manual to be sure.
    They must have done some research or it would cause them to loose sales on the safety issue.

Maybe Nissan is loosing a few sales because of the lack of ABS.
    Like I said before only on the EX. You can not just order it as an option as with the Altima. Wanted an LX with power seats

Well, that isn't what you said, what you said was: The fact that I could get a power drivers seat, something you can not get in an Accord at any price. You said you couldn't get a power seat in the Accord, which isn't true. It isn't limited to EX only models as you said later either, just check out Honda's website before you assume everything.

And yes, the first thousand miles of any new engine should really be taken easier than the rest of the car's life... :)

Enjoy your new ride! :D
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    there's usualy some sort of break-in. my altima manual says first 1200 miles avoid reving over 4000 rpm's and try not to drive extended periods at the same speed. the fist one basicaly means don't run the dogpoop out of it before 1200 miles, and the second pretty much means don't get out on the highway and set the cruise control and drive the same speed for the next 4 hours.
    all break-in is for is to allow the piston rings to properly wear to the correct size and shape. but with modern manufacturing process the can be machined to almost the perfect size. they can use lasers and such to get them down to .001 inches in tolerance.
    sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. It realy depends on the situation. More times than not, it won't make a difference. Most accidents (especialy the pull out in front of you type) do not leave enough time to avoid. doesn't matter if you have no abs, abs, or even a parachute in back. I log about 25k miles on my non-abs personal vehicles, and about 30k on the abs equiped company vehicle. the times i've felt the abs kick in are few and far between, and never in an accident situation. Don't get me wrong, it's not that abs is bad, just a bit over rated. I wouldn't not buy a car because it had abs, but i also wouldn't refuse to buy one because it lacked them. If it were such a big lifesaver, accident avoider, NTSB would have mandated its use like seatbelts and airbags.

It is surprising that nissan hasn't made them standard, cause they're cheap as hell nowadays. $300 is all, less than a spoiler, or the floor mat/splash guard combo. and its not that nissan doesn't offer it. I'd be willing to bet they sell far more vehicles with abs than without. it just isn't standard.
    all you will have to pay for is one muffler for the life of the car

Pretty safe. Many muffler shops offer the same deal. I doubt too many people ever have to buy more than one muffler for their car, if that. And since my 95 Accord has over 220k on the original muffler, I suppose Honda would even be pretty safe offering lifetime on the original. :)
    and most of the time thats just the cost of the muffler. you usualy have to pay for labor and any other pipes you need. the muffler itself is the cheap part, and why they offer lifetime. Midas does the same thing with their lifetime brake service. when the pads or shoes wear out, they won't charge you for the replacements, but you're still going to spend $200+ to get them installed, adjusted, and the rotors/drums turned.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Depends on whether you typically take short trips at city speeds or longer trips at highway speeds. The former will cost you mufflers, the latter will not. ;)
  • gasmizrgasmizr Member Posts: 40
    Here are the features for the Accord SE and the LX has slightly less in it but neither says power seats. That is reserved for EX which has power height adjustment and EX-L has 8 Way power or am I reading the Honda sight wrong? :confuse: My biggest complaint with Honda has been their packaging. Some things that need you need to be able to or so you can get a good fit in the car are not.

I will enjoy my new altima. :)

Standard Features: 2007 Accord Sedan
    Special Edition Manual Transmission

Technical Features • 166-hp, 2.4-liter, 16-Valve, DOHC, i-VTEC®, 4-Cylinder Engine
    • 5-Speed Manual Transmission
    • Drive-by-Wire™ Throttle System
    • Double Wishbone Front Suspension
    • Five-Link Double Wishbone Rear Suspension
    • Variable Power-Assisted Rack-and-Pinion Steering
    • Power-Assisted Ventilated Front Disc/Solid Rear Disc Brakes
    • 100,000-miles-or-more Tune-Up Interval

Safety Features • Dual-Stage, Dual Threshold Front Airbags (SRS)
    • Front Side Airbags with Passenger-Side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS)
    • Side Curtain Airbags
    • Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
    • Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD)
    • Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
    • 3-Point Seat Belts at all Seating Positions
    • Front 3-Point Seat Belts with Automatic Tensioning System
    • Outboard Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH)

Interior Features • Air Conditioning with Air Filtration System
    • Cruise Control
    • Illuminated Cruise/Audio Steering Wheel-Mounted Controls
    • Power Windows with Auto-Up/Down Driver's Window
    • Fold-Down Rear-Seat Center Armrest/Trunk Pass-Through with Lock
    • Carbon-Fiber-Look Interior Accents
    • Center Console with Sliding Armrest and Storage Compartments
    • 120-Watt AM/FM/6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer Audio System with 6 speakers
    • Tilt and Telescopic Steering Column
    • Maintenance Minder™ System

Exterior Features • Remote Entry System with Power Window Control
    • 16" Alloy Wheels
    • LED Brakelights
    • Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors
    • Chrome Exhaust Finisher
    • Multi-Reflector Halogen Headlights with Auto-off
    • Body-Colored Impact-Absorbing Bumpers
    No, you are not reading it wrong. If you want power seats you have to have the moonroof too. You must be a big guy, if the moonroof is too low for you. Oh well, I guess Honda can't please everyone.
  • exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    I'll be the first to admit that I don't care for Honda's lack of flexibility in feature selection, but I also don't care for Nissan's. Some folks say they like Honda's "no option" approach of different model lines (although calling EXL Navigation a separate model is stretching it a bit). Some say that picking options is too confusing. Well excuse me for not being confused by going down a list of options and checking off those I want and not checking those I don't. Real confusing, yeah right.

However, it was easy for me to dismiss the Altima outright without even having driven it. The car we were looking for had to have 3 things - 4 cylinders, a stick shift, and a sunroof. Heated seats were a large plus. Altima didn't do it for us. It seemed as soon as you ordered any option, you had to get an automatic, which I refused to do on a 4 cylinder mid size car.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    From what I have read, unless the surface is say snow, and you want the plow-stop effect of standard brakes, the ABS certainly does stop in a shorter distance. If you are really good at threshold braking, I would say regular brakes and ABS are pretty close. For control and in panic situations, I can see how ABS is better. I can also envision some more rare cases where ABS is going to allow the car to roll a bit farther. Most of the time, the answer though is shorter stopping distance with ABS, with more control and no worries of flat spotting tires. And locked up tires stop in a longer distance. Now in town, if we are talking a few feet - perhaps a different story. And in snow or gravel, the effect of locked tires, pushing down like a plow, while building up snow or gravel ahead of them, could stop a car in a shorter distance. Since my SE V6 has ABS, I will go with along with being happy to have the system. Would I pay extra --- hummm, maybe, not sure.
    Loren
    I think you would want to squeeze the brakes to the point of threshold locking, then back off. If starting to squel the tires, back off then squeeze on down again. Where possible steer out of situations. If in no-man's-land, pray!
    Loren
    (although calling EXL Navigation a separate model is stretching it a bit).

Actually, the 4 cyl EX-L is a quasi-separate model because of leather seats, not navi. (The "L" stands for leather.) It is true that you can only get navi in the EX-L model but the navi is an option. Dual climate control, heated seats, 8-way power driver's seat, XM radio, leather wrapped steering wheel, and exterior temp are the other items that come with the EX-L... unless I'm forgetting something.
    LX-V6 = 8-way Power Driver's Seat, According to Automobiles.honda.com

That's where I got my "not EX only" statement... sorry for any confusion it may have caused.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    The feature that always bothers me is the lumbar support. It's just a manual lever adjustment but you have to get an ex to get it. It really helps with comfort. I have bought 2 ex's over the years just to get the lumbar support. Bummer.
    the ABS certainly does stop in a shorter distance

no, it doesn't. all abs does is prevent the brakes from locking the wheeles. The abs won't even kick in unless the computer that controls them senses the wheeles are going to lock. at that point, it will reduce the pressure on the brakes, and you'll feel a pulsating sensation in the brake pedal. the rotor, callipers, pads and everything else at the wheel is the same in abs and non abs. the abs is under the hood and works with the master cylinder to control pressure applied to the brakes through valves (to reduce pressure in the brake lines) and a pump (to return pressure back to normal).

to sum it up, here's what happens. Your driving down the road, and for whatever reason, you slam on your brakes as hard as you can. with normal brakes, the wheels will lock up. With abs, sensors on the wheeles will detect that they are slowing very fast and may lock up. at that time, valves in the brakelines going to your brakes will open and let pressure off the brakes (allowing the wheels to speed up) for a split second. in another split second, the valve closes and a pump under the hood increases the pressure in the brakelines to where it was. that constant depresuration, and repressuration of the brakelines is what cause the pulsating fell in the pedal.

The thing with abs is that it's not always on. its always monitoring the wheels, but unless your about to lock it down, it doesn't do anything.

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm by no means badmouthing abs. in poor road conditions they're great, and they will allow more control of your vehicle when you do have to slam the brakes on. I just think they are a bit overated. reducing your speed on bad roads, and paying attention while drive will inrease you chances of avoiding an accident far more than abs will. abs is a passive system (like airbags) that will only activate in specific situations. and much as airbags arn't an excuse to stop wearing your seatbelt, abs insn't a substitution for proper driving.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    You left out the part about being able to steer around the obstacle while in full,brake pedal to the floor,ABS mode. That is where most drivers are in a surprise situation stop.
    ABS Brakes Link True, it does not always stop shorter, but in most cases it will. If it comes down to a true panic stop, or something a situation which is for you to manually control the braking pressure to apply with so much going on, I would say the automatic system could be the way to go. I have been driving some 38 years, and have not had this happen, but it certainly could one day. And if I did lock the brakes, the skidding car will not stop as fast as still rolling tires braking.
    Loren
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    They must have done some research or it would cause them to loose sales on the safety issue.

Maybe Nissan is loosing a few sales because of the lack of ABS.

I know they lost one, among other reasons.
    What I did not like about the Altima:
    1) the foot brake for an emergency brake, placed where the clutch once was
    2) Steering seems a bit light.
    3) CVT just did not feel right to me and wonder about cost of repair / possible problems?
    4) V6 jacks up price. Got the Accord SEV6 for a pretty good price.

Loren
    You left out the part about being able to steer around the obstacle while in full,brake pedal to the floor,ABS mode. That is where most drivers are in a surprise situation stop.

no, I mentioned that,
  • exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    I know, I own an EX-L. What I was referring to was that Honda designates a car with Navi as it's own model (quasi-model?), not as simply an option to an EX-L.

Seems a bit of a stretch to me. Go to Carsdirect.com to build an Accord, and you'll see 6 "models" for each of the 4 cylinder & 6 cylinder lines.

4 cylinder "models" - VP, LX, SE, EX, EX-L, EX-L w/Navi
    6 cylinder "models" - SE, LX, EX Auto, EX 6spd, EX Auto w/Navi, EX 6spd w/Navi.

If it was me, I'd have just 3 models. VP, LX, & EX. Then hang some "options" off each. But hey, no big deal, manufacturers can do what they want to do.
    I'm not going to beat this into the ground but Honda lists trimlines here: Accord Sedan

Interesting that they don't even separate out the EX-L. If you click on the trimline for EX, you will see the EX-L and EX-L with Navi. That was really what I remember from years ago anyway. Not sure when this EX-L stuff started. The DX (now VP), LX, and EX were once the three choices. They'd thrown in an SE on occasion. When I bought my 95, leather seats were just an option (on the EX only).

Honda doesn't really do many options but automatic transmission, leather and Navi are really just options. Leather is the weird one because now they add a few other things. Also, the V6 manual adds a couple of things you can't get on any other model.

But "Quasi-trimline" works for me. ;)
    In 03 only the V6 models had leather. Now, some 4cyl models come with leather, hence the EX-L. Leather and Navigation are the two most expensive options, so the separate designations make it clear which cars have them, and which don't. Makes sense to me.
    In 03 only the V6 models had leather.

Really? That is sure a switch from the past as well as the present. As I said earlier, leather was available as an option on my 95 EX. It was standard on the V6, just like it is today.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    In 03 only the V6 models had leather

The '03 Accord was available with leather & 4cyl engine.

It was the EX-L & still is in 2007.

The V-6 Accord was designated EXVL.
    I stand corrected. I guess the EX-L and with navi started in 03, and not later on. I thought the L for leather, and navi designations started when the DX changed to VP. When was that?
    Hm. I know I have seen a 2005 DX Accord before (oblong taillight design, but all red indicators - no amber signals), but the VP may have also been available at the time. The DX was discontinued for 2006.
    I thought the DX changed to the VP in 06 but I don't know for sure.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...commentary has somehow eluded me.

.....AV6 6M seems almost perfect in that it's fast, fuel efficient and was available WAY below cost late summer '05.

Plan a Nissan coupe test drive after the crowd thins.........the Z's reward visibility made me nervous.........but at the very least, this Altima coupe has the VQ powerplant............

Should be an interesting summer with new Accord coupe also a contender.........ez
  • tg1994tg1994 Member Posts: 8
    I can honestly say that as a previous Altima owner (I just sold my 2001 Altima to buy my 2007 Accord) the Accord is a MUCH better car. Better handling, better shifting, more horsepower, smoother ride. I could go on and on. Nissan just can't hold a candle to Honda in an area.
    I can honestly say that as a previous Altima owner (I just sold my 2001 Altima to buy my 2007 Accord) the Accord is a MUCH better car. Better handling, better shifting, more horsepower, smoother ride. I could go on and on. Nissan just can't hold a candle to Honda in an area.

I would say the 2007 Accord is much better than the 2001 Accord as well. Comparing a current car to something designed 10 years ago isn't exactly apples and oranges, but I am glad you like your purchase.
    I actually thought the Altima was very strong in the power department (even the 4 cyl) and handling was great, but I didn't see the value in the Altima. And I do not want a CVT.
    The 2001 Altima wasn't really in the same class as the Accord at the time, I believe. It was a compact I think, and didn't even offer a V6 engine. The Maxima competed with the Accord until the 2002 Altima came out. The 2001 and earlier Altimas were similar to large compacts like the Ford Contour and Mazda 626.
  • bv050506bv050506 Member Posts: 97
    I can guaranty you my V-6 Altima is quicker than your V-6 Honda, so I don't exactly get your statement. You got a great car for sure, but the '07 Altima is a much finer car than they had in '01 or even '06. I would also question the handle statement. But in the end we each got what WE like and that's what it's all about.
    Thats pretty funny. the 2001 altima has been redesigned TWICE since then. In 2001 it wasn't even a mid size.
    I can guaranty you my V-6 Altima is quicker than your V-6 Honda

Car and Driver got 5.9 seconds for 0-60 in both the Accord 6MT and Altima 6MT. Where did you get your test results for the Altima, if I may ask?

Tenths of a second can't be felt by 98% of the drivers out there, so it is probably a moot point anyway.
  • thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    im not gonna look it up now (too lazy :P) but one magazine's results doesn't mean squat. different skilled drivers can get different results out of cars that are seemingly the same, and may or may not have driven the car to its fullest potential.

either way, its moot. who drives a car like a madman anyways?

wait...don't answer that question :P

i prefer nissan to honda, but that is a personal preference. i feel like nissan cars have more "soul" to them than hondas do. that doesn't make honda bad, just not for me.

but boy, are the honda faithful a vocal bunch! ;)

-thene :)
    i prefer nissan to honda, but that is a personal preference. i feel like nissan cars have more "soul" to them than hondas do. that doesn't make honda bad, just not for me.

That wasn't always the case. It was reversed in the late 80s early 90s. An 80s Sentra had like 60 hp and was shaped like a brick, while the Civic had sophisticated suspension and 108 hp. The Accords had pop up headlights and could be a sedan or hatchback, double wishbone suspension, etc, and Nissan had the Stanza ('nuff said).

I personally don't find soul in any car that lacks a clutch pedal, so I feel like Nissan is "slipping" in that area.
    Frankly, I found both the Altima and the Accord fun to drive (and somewhat similar in ride too, which is good). I only have the 2006 Altima 2.5S to compare to, not the new 2007.

It was boomy sounding and tinny feeling though, so it went off of the list quickly. I wanted something that felt at least as solid as my 1996 Accord, and the Altima didn't satisfy.

As for soul, well, I tend to think it is sort of possible for a driver to "connect" with a car, so that one car may not excite one driver (the Audi A4 Cabriolet I drove once wasn't as exciting as my Accord 4-cylinder to ME), but the current Accord's balance is just PERFECT for my tastes, and that helps me really get "involved" with the car, if that makes sense :). The Fusion drove sportier than my Accord, but I felt no "gut feeling" that I wanted the car, along with some other issues I had with it that I have laid out in the past.

In short, I think the old saying "home is where the heart is" works with cars too.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    but boy, are the honda faithful a vocal bunch!

Wait til you encounter the Hyundai-ers around here!
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    As for soul, well, I tend to think it is sort of possible for a driver to "connect" with a car

Not just yea - but hell yea. I connected to an Audi S4 the other day. I had to wipe the drool of the seats of the car when I returned it. It was an easy car to love.

Nissan definitely plays on the driver involvement aspect of car sales than Honda. The whole Shift thing.
    Does Honda have a "slogan" of sorts these days that I'm not aware of? I know Toyota has "moving forward"...Nissan has "shift ____", but I can't remember anything for Honda.

I did like the idea behind "If you haven't looked at Ford lately, look again." It was VERY true for the Fusion - worth a GOOD look.
  • thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    well i wasn't driving in the late 80's and early 90's, though i did have an early 90's (1992 to be exact) Nissan Maxima as my first car. LOVED it! i refuse to drive anything other than a stick, and now own an 03 Sentra SE-R spec V that i bought brand new in 2002 (couldnt afford a new maxima right out of college).

if i am a driving enthusiast, who wants soul - i wouldn't buy an altima with a 4cyl engine. sure, my car has the same engine, but its smaller. if i bought the altima (which is a very nice looking car by the way!) i would definitely get that V6 with the 6sp.

i am upset though that the new GTR is going to have paddle shifters... :(

i still want one though!!!

nothing about honda excudes excitement to me though. honda sells a lot of cars because they appeal to the masses. most people buy a car because they need to get from point a to point b in a reliable safe fashion. honda does that better than anyone. i want to get from point A to point B with a smile on my face. i find that nissan does that better.

again, my two cents - your opinion may vary!

-thene :)
    well i wasn't driving in the late 80's and early 90's, though i did have an early 90's (1992 to be exact) Nissan Maxima as my first car. LOVED it! i refuse to drive anything other than a stick, and now own an 03 Sentra SE-R spec V that i bought brand new in 2002 (couldnt afford a new maxima right out of college).

I think the '89 Maxima (4DSC the called it at the time)was the beginning of a rebirth for Nissan. The SR20 powered Sentra, G20, and NX came out right as Honda killed the CRX and replaced it with the Del Sol (whooooops). There was no Civic SI and Vtec was just getting started and only available on the Integra GS-R/Del Sol. VW had nothing but the 2.0 16v they had been pushing for years. It was a good time to be Nissan. Oh, that and the 90-96 300zx was one of the most beautiful, timeless designs ever.
  • mickylongmickylong Member Posts: 29
    Anyone else trying to make a decision between Accord and Altima coupes having as tough a time as I'm having? I haven't owned or leased either a Honda or Nissan product in the past although I did lease an Acura RSX Type S for a few years. Anyone want to weigh in on what makes one better than the other? Price seems extremely close (looking at V6 w/ nav), I like different styling elements from both, love the Altima's remote key feature. My impressions of ride and handling is that the Honda "felt" larger in size and heavier during the ride. Maybe a little less sporty than the Altima. Altima seemed quieter. Haven't been able to see the nav system yet on the Honda but audio seems comparable between the two. Anything I need to really poke at to expose positives or negatives in this comparison?
    This is a comparison of the Accord and Altima coupes. I think this is on V6 versions, so it may not be exactly what you're looking for.http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=123357