Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS Engine Problems

Comments

• erycuserycus Member Posts: 7
    Christina,

I have have already tried this avenue. The GM customer service rep was Caron. Case number is 71-964760776. Someone will be contacting you within 3 business days. If you do not hear from someone within the time frame, please let me know.

VIN: 1G6DP567850217479 2005 CTS 3.6L

I was contacted by GM and I was told "there are no recalls on your vehicle, therefore we can do nothing for you" I have owned 7 GM products, but I have found that customer loyalty has ZERO value to GM!

I ended up purchasing a used engine and having it installed, I am bitter, disillusioned and very disappointed! I have contacted BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) This is a wide spread and major problem with the CTS. I feel very sad for anyone that has purchased a Cadillac CTS, if they have not experienced a problem yet....just give it some time...they will!
  • zebandcozebandco Member Posts: 22
    I'm not sure GM even opened a "case" for me. In early April this year I called and the GM rep put me on hold while he called the dealership. He came back on and told me the dealership was working on the car. It was mostly handled at the dealership. The end result was the dealership (Ron Craft - Baytown Cadillac) gave me 5K for the car which would have been worth 10K + had the motor not cratered. I have to say the dealership was great and I have no complaints there. My issue is that I took the car in before asking where in the heck the oil was going. It would eat two or three quarts to oil between oil 5K mile oil changes. I always figured if it wasn't leaking it out on the garage floor or burning it out of the exhaust, the oil was still in the crank case. Silly me. It got to the point I was adding a quart every two weeks or so. When it finally laid down on me it had 3K on the oil change and was 3 quarts low plus one quart I had added at about 2K miles. I'm not sure I still have the VIN but will look. I'm sure my credit union has the VIN number since I'm still paying for the car.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Don't believe everything reported in Consumers Reports as it does not provide sufficient sample information for specific vehicles. For example, there may be few Cadillac owners reporting to Consumers Reports. The best evidence that this a major problem is the anecdotal evidence from owners provided in forums such as this one and the fact that other GM owners are reporting similar problems with this same engine but in another vehicle. For example, check out the GMC Acadia forum for engine problems and you'll see this engine is a disaster in that vehicle too. Good luck with your vehicle.
  • billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    edited August 2011
    Consumer Reports does not report reliability when the sample size is too small for an accurate assessment.

For the GMC Acadia, CR reports worse than average reliability with major engine problems for the 2007 model year.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    erycus,
    After reviewing your case, unfortunately due to the age and mileage of your vehicle I will have to agree with the decision made by your phone agent. I apologize for your frustrations.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 05gmlemon05gmlemon Member Posts: 6
    I'm with you on the "class action " law suit against GM. Why has there not been a recall on all of these CTS engines with oil consumption problems? Too much cost to repair? Why have their intelligent engineers not corrected this problem? Goodbye GM, hello Toyota.
    It is hard to do a recall when the cause of these sporadic engine failures has not been identified. I have suggested that defective valve seals should be considered, as this has previously caused engine failures with low oil levels in other brands (e.g. VW & Audi). I also wonder if these engine failures qualify as a safety issue, which is the usual requirement for a government mandated recall.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    safety issues, not bad engineering or crap engines.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • david780adavid780a Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2011
    2004 cts 3.6 automatic, after the car sits overnight when the car is put into drive it has a 5=6 second delay before it moves. car is fine the rest of the day, only does it after sitting over night. took to dealer, tech could not duplicate it said no codes found, i know my car and it does this everday, left over night, service manager was able to duplicate it, tech again said no codes found, well duh didnt think so, i was told to do a transmission flush, i said thats not the problem some thing is starting to wear out im not paying 200 dollars for a flush only to have the problem still there and then to be told well lets try this to see if this will work, my extended warranty has 100 miles left on it, car has 89,500 miles either the friction plates or the torque converter are going, im not stupid, then i asked if i pay 200 to flush it and it still does it and you finally find its something else will i get my 200 back and was told no. this is nonsense, you mean to tell me your techs can only fix somehting when there is a code that shows, this nothing more than trial and error at my expense till they finally find the problem, what should i do, thank you, any ideas what might be wrong are welcomed.
    Take the car to a privately owned shop (not a cheap chain).
  • cady2004cady2004 Member Posts: 13
    hi have you had any engine issues like timing chain and oil consumption I also have a 2004 and have both problems , would like to try and get idea of how many people have 100k miles on their cars without any problems. If anyone reading has a high mileage car please share any comments good or bad. thanks
    no engine trouble i change the oil faithfully every month and does not have oil consumption issues
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    edited September 2011
    . . . i change the oil faithfully every month . . .

Wow -- so your put is that MONTHLY oil changes are the answer.

How far do you drive in a month? a year?

With today's oils (just dino, never mind synthetic), oil change intervals of 5 - 7K miles are generally well regarded.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jamesseverinojamesseverino Member Posts: 1
    I have a CTS 2009 AWD 3.6. I bought a demo car. A 2009 in 2009. Since I have had the car the car eats over a quart of oil every 800 miles on the usual. More so at other times. I currently have 34,000 miles on it and have reported the problem. And they say "service guy" that that is usual and there's nothing that they can do unless it consumes more oil. That is baloney I have had 9 new cars in my 41 years of life and never have had a car ever eat oil like this. And this is not cheap oil it is synthetic. I mean to me they are just riding this out until the car is out of factory warranty then when the engines blows they will state that I am responsible for a new engine out of pocket. I have contacted Cadillac and they want me to bring it every 500 miles. I have had 3 Cadillac's in my life and never a problem like this. I am thoroughly disgusted as you state. I purchase the car new to not have these problems and support the American industry only to be screwed by the American automaker. Next time I am buying foreign. Yes they are nice at the service desk but nice doesn't fix my problem on my 48,000 dollar car.
    I agree with you. I purchased a new vehicle expecting not to have major issues. At least you got an answer. When I asked my dealer where the oil was going they just shrugged their shoulders. Actually, now that I think about, that was a more honest response. They really don't know where it is going but they do know there is a issue with the V6 consuming oil. I wonder what "uses more oil" means? A quart a day?
    maybe 1000 miles, but i have the oil and tires rotated every month regardless, have ever since i bought it, mainly because of the timing chain issues i have heard about,i take really good care of this car, have every reciept from the dealer for services, one thing if anything did happen cadillac cant say i didnt do maintenance.
    jamesseverino,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you spoken with Cadillac Customer Assistance? If so, could you please email me your case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I have a 2009 CTS with the 3.6 engine. I have the oil changed at 5 to 6000 mile intervals at a Cadillac dealership. It uses a quart between changes. Do not let this oil usage problem go until it is out of warranty. I would stay on this until I got GM to do something about it. My service advisor told me that one of the problems they had with the oil life monitor was its generosity between changes. He said some people change the oil, going by the monitor, and never check between changes. He told me that they recommended no more than 6000 miles; that what they were finding was the actuators were going bad at around 50000 when people were going more than that. In my case, if I went by the monitor, I would go 13000 miles between changes. It does not sound like you are doing that. Your situation is not normal.
    no i havent called customer service, im just dissapointed that the highly trained tech cant find the problem, it does this everyday and its not normal, im affraid that the transmission will finally go bad all the way and ill be stuck with the bill, thats why i bought the gmpp, first one for 2400.00 second one for 1400.00. i take excellent care of this car oil changed every month and wheels rotated every month., my car is at della cadillac in queensbury ny 518-793-3871. just authorized to have the transmission flushed, but i know thats not going to fix the problem. thank you for reading my story and writing me.
  • cady2004cady2004 Member Posts: 13
    Why don't you post your contact info so people can call you directly , the people on this forum are very upset with the way GM Cadillac is dealing with their concerns and I have had the same experience. You are in no position to help any body so why don't you stop wasting peoples time and giving them them false hope.
  • 05gmlemon05gmlemon Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2005 CTS 3.6 and it has the same problem with oil consumption. I'm much older than you and have owned dozens of vehicles in my lifetime and have never had the experience of 600-800 miles per quart of oil as I have with my CTS. The Cadillac dealership service manager told me that was in range for Cadillac. Sorry to hear that this is still a problem with the 2009 model. One would think that the engineering dept. would have this issue resolved by now.
  • detroitfandetroitfan Member Posts: 6
    AMEN! the GM service people told me "there are no recalls" or TSB's (technical service bulletins) therefore there is nothing we can do for you!
  • detroitfandetroitfan Member Posts: 6
    CTS ....acronym for Cadillac Truly Sucks!
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Head gasket problems on the old 2.2 found in the Cavalier's and Corsica's lasted for most of the 90's. Intake manifold gaskets blowing out on the 3.1, 3.4, 3.5, 3.8, and 3.9 V6 engines has been happening for the past decade. GM's track record on resolving major engine issues is not very good. Best of luck.
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    What is the oil capacity of the 3.6 engine???? The 3.5 V-6, alum blocked, 4-valve engine used in the Intrigue and Aurora between the yrs of 1999 through 2002 was 6.5 qts..Owned 2 Intrigues with the "Shortstar" engine and did 75k on a 99er and 120k on a 2002 w/o any problems.

Did switch from Mobil to Pennzoil which helped eliminate the adding of oil between changes, every 3k..With Mobil usually 1500 mile was a qt low..Both cars were 90% driving on open highway at 75++..Caddys owned were a 91 Deville Touring Sedan w/4.9 V-8, 1996 Deville w/Northstar, and a 1999 Deville w/Northstar..Never added any oil between changes..

I see the 2012 Impala has the 3.6 engine rated @300hp..Pricing starts around $25k, kinda takes the prestige out of the Caddy chatter!!! Love those corporate engines..Caddy engines in a Chevy!!!!

My experience with the above owned models was satisfactory, the 91 got a new engine at 59k miles, gift from Cadillac due to piston slap..The Caddies were the wife's..I only drove them on Florida trips and to the dealer..

Current Caddy pricing is "out of the ball park", no value!!!!!!!
  • spmacspmac Member Posts: 1
    I had the same experience with my 2006 STS, it was using over a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. The dealer had me bring it in every 1,000 miles for a total of 3,000 miles to document the oil usage. After that they changed all the seals in the engine under warranty. This fixed the problem. You might ask if your dealer can do the same thing.
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    The 304hp V-6 current offering has a crankcase capacity of 6qts..Called my friend at the Caddy dealership..

The 215hp "short-star" V-6 of the Intrigue and Aurora was 6.5qts..

Won't run the CTS/STS too long at 80+++, might go to trash....
  • mrvr2umrvr2u Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2011
    Cadillac family, I have appreciated the forum discussions but last month I decided to do something that I don't regret...I got rid of my car before it got rid of me! Some off the information that was mentioned I experienced and it is very true, trying to get Cadillac (GM) to come to your aid is like searching for gold. For the most part my CTS ran pretty good for me but I wanted to be the one to quit before it quit me. So, I took it to CARMAX and they rewarded me handsomely. I plan to stay within my car family Toyota and get me the LS 460L. It was good communicating with you.

Victor
  • heyburtheyburt Member Posts: 3
    someone should call the local news then drive their caddy through the front window of the dealer.
    Not so sure . Bought an 05 cts with 55k on it. thought finally a good car that our family wont have to worry about. Got the oil changed around 3000, and i was told that it was using about 2 quarts but not to worry that it was normal for that engine. One day it developed a rattling noise so i took it to buck chevy in canalfulton. they did diagnostic and told me it was because of the bad battery huh? I was told they trannie was electronic and that the new battery fixed it. Soo drove it for a while but the same was happining... so i checked the oil nothin ... I added 5 quarts of oil ,,, with only 2k from my last oil change it wouldnt accure to me check the oil.. now i need a new engine. so anyone know how new of an engin i can put in a 05 cts. I would like to set it on fire in front of our local caddy dealer
    heyburt,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Do you currently have a case set up with GM Customer Assistance? If so, could you please email me your case number?

Thank you,
  • gm_bigotgm_bigot Member Posts: 20
    OK. Reading all of these posts about oil consumption and expiring engines is giving me an upset stomach. I have a 2007 CTS with the 3.6L engine with 46K miles. I've changed the oil every 6K-7K miles. No oil consumption issues at this point. However, I'd like to hear from some folks with older cars with the 3.6L that have over 75K miles who have not had any problems. Any good news out there??
  • dallasctsdallascts Member Posts: 3
    So I had the same issue with my 2005 CTS and found a fix. Go to the dealer and state that your cadillac is burning through oil at an unreasonable rate. They will ask you to do an oil consumption test, which consists of paying for a new oil change ($90) and then coming back in 1500 miles to see how much oil has been consumed. Here is what I did.... I drove the car like a mad man for the first 1000 miles. Heavy on the gas to burn as much oil as possible. The car can handle the heavy driving and it's actually not a bad idea to burn out the old build up.

Then at 1000 miles I removed the oil plug for a few seconds and drained a about a 1/4 of the oil remaining. Place the oil plug back into position and MAKE SURE you have at least enough oil to cover the first hole in the dipstick. Continue driving for another 500 miles to build up gunk on the oil plug so they can't tell you have drained it and make sure to monitor the oil amount along the way so that you don't drop too low.

I took the vehicle back to the dealership 1500 miles after the oil change and guess what... They performed the cadillac service needed (about a $3500 repair) for free and my car has run like a champion ever since. Performance is better and you can feel the response difference due to all the new seals etc. I don't lose a drop of oil between changes now and never have any excess oil burn. It was a tricky way to get it resolved but I've had several friends do the same now and we all have great working caddy's. Good luck!
    So I had the same issue with my 2005 CTS and found a fix. Go to the dealer and state that your cadillac is burning through oil at an unreasonable rate. They will ask you to do an oil consumption test, which consists of paying for a new oil change ($90) and then coming back in 1500 miles to see how much oil has been consumed. Here is what I did.... I drove the car like a mad man for the first 1000 miles. Heavy on the gas to burn as much oil as possible. The car can handle the heavy driving and it's actually not a bad idea to burn out the old build up.

Then at 1000 miles I removed the oil plug for a few seconds and drained a about a 1/4 of the oil remaining. Place the oil plug back into position and MAKE SURE you have at least enough oil to cover the first hole in the dipstick. Continue driving for another 500 miles to build up gunk on the oil plug so they can't tell you have drained it and make sure to monitor the oil amount along the way so that you don't drop too low.

I took the vehicle back to the dealership 1500 miles after the oil change and guess what... They performed the cadillac service needed (about a $3500 repair) for free and my car has run like a champion ever since. Performance is better and you can feel the response difference due to all the new seals etc. I don't lose a drop of oil between changes now and never have any excess oil burn. It was a tricky way to get it resolved but I've had several friends do the same now and we all have great working caddy's. Good luck!
    "Then at 1000 miles I removed the oil plug for a few seconds and drained a about a 1/4 of the oil remaining."

You fabricated an oil level in order to get Cadillac to work on your problem?

How much oil were you actually burning?
  • bigjohn281bigjohn281 Member Posts: 15
    MAKE SURE IF YOU ARE GOING TO KEEP THIS CAR PLEASE BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. THERE IS ONLY GOOD NEWS YOU SHOW THE DEALERSHIP A COPY OF THESE COMPLAINTS AND THEY GIVE YOU THE EXTENDED WARRANTY.
  • chimon1chimon1 Member Posts: 7
    i love my cadillac 2006 and it has 106,000 miles on it with no problems except the thrmostat gave up twice. the first time i bought a new one at the dealer and the second one after market at 96,000 miles. now listening to all you guys i am getting exta, extra worried. the cadillac is using way too much synthetic oil. actually i forgot to check for 6 months and luckily i found out when the engine started making weird noises. i measured the oil and the dip stick came out dry three times. as of 9-21-11 i put in 4 quarts of pennzoil synthetic oil.
    At 106,000 miles is it ok to use non-synthetic oil now. thanks guys. let us keep the pressure on GM.
    My first american car was a used ford escort, lasted for 2 years. this is my second american car bought brand new. i am having secon thoughts---will stick to foreign cars
    The good news is it seems you have escaped the pain many of us have gone through. So far. The really good news is that you should have no trouble trading your car for another year/make/model that does not have this kind of history. Get while the gettin' is good, friend.
    Yes I did. I had to add 1 to 2 quarts between oil changes and with synthetic oil thats ridiculous. EVERYONE with a CTS has this issue of burning oil and the car should not being running that way. I can personally tell you the performance and oil level is 1000x better since the fix. They virtually replace every seal in the engine. I strongly recommend this as an easy way to get your car in proper working condition. Even if you're burning oil like I was they generally come back with a "normal oil consumption" result on the test. Not this time :)
  • gm_bigotgm_bigot Member Posts: 20
    I was out on another Cadillac forum and I read a posting from a guy who has a 2005 CTS that was burning a couple of quarts every 1000 miles or so. This guy obviously knows something about cars because he made a modification to his PCV vacuum tube (don't ask me to explain what he did), and apparently the engine no longer drinks oil. So that got me looking around again on the web and I went back to the old reliable: technical service bulletins on the CTS. Apparently one was issued in May 2011 that talks about oil consumption. Finally! Right? It mentions only 2006-2008, but I suspect this can apply to all of model years with the 3.6. At least we now have something to wave in the face of the dealership when they say, "Oh, that's normal" or "We don't know where the oil is going". See below.

Make / Models: Model/Build Years: BUICK / ALLURE SUPER 2009BUICK / LACROSSE SUPER 2009BUICK / RAINIER 2004-2007CADILLAC / CTS 2006-2008CADILLAC / CTS-V 2004-2005CADILLAC / ESCALADE 2003-2011CHEVROLET / AVALANCHE 2003-2010CHEVROLET / AVALANCHE 1500 2011CHEVROLET / COLORADO 2009-2011CHEVROLET / CORVETTE 2003-2007CHEVROLET / EXPRESS 2003-2011CHEVROLET / IMPALA 2006-2009CHEVROLET / MONTE CARLO 2003-2007CHEVROLET / SILVERADO 2003-2011CHEVROLET / SSR 2003-2006CHEVROLET / SUBURBAN 2003-2009CHEVROLET / SUBURBAN 1500 2010-2011CHEVROLET / TAHOE 2003-2011CHEVROLET / TRAILBLAZER 2003-2009GMC / CANYON 2009-2011GMC / ENVOY 2003-2009GMC / SANANA 2010GMC / SAVANA 2003-2011GMC / SIERRA 2003-2011GMC / YUKON 2003-2011HUMMER / H2 2004-2010HUMMER / H3 2008-2010HUMMER / HUMMER H2 2003PONTIAC / G8 2008-2009PONTIAC / GRAND PRIX 2005-2008SAAB / 9-7X 2005-2009Service Bulletin Number: PIP-4492P NHTSA Item Number: 10036464

Summary:
    BUICK/CADILLAC/CHEVROLET/GMC/HUMMER/PONTIAC/SAAB: OIL CONSUMPTION AND/OR EXHAUST SMOKE. POSSIBLE PCV BAFFLE OR LIFTER CONCERN. UPON INSPECTION, OBVIOUS OIL WILL BE FOUND IN THE INTAKE MANIFOLD AND/OR PCV VACUUM TUBE. *PE UPDATED 3/21/11. *PE UPDATED 5/9/11. *PE UPDATED 5/25/11. *PE UPDATED 06/16/2011. *KB UPDATED A SECOND TIME ON 06/16/2011. *KB UPDATED 6/27/11. *PE
    Why is cadillac going to admit this is a crap engine? I dont think so . So can you at least tell me what years will go in my 05 with the least amount of change. I still owe 10k on the crap car. so it has to last till its paid of.
  • lwwlww Member Posts: 1
    No good news. My 2005 started using 1 qt every 1000 miles at 55k. I had to have the engine replaced at 87k (covered under extended warranty). New transmission at 125k, new cats/oxy sensors at 130k, new radiator at 150k, new coils at 160k. I now have an apparent ecm issue at 168k (car won't start; key won't come out). My 2005 Sierra has a similar litany of problems. After having owned GM products all 38 years of driving, I'm DONE!
  • toyoman8toyoman8 Member Posts: 114
    what do ya think???
    lww,

Could you please email me your VIN and current mileage? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • klamperklamper Member Posts: 1
    05 CTS 89k on it. Changed my oil before taking a short weekend trip (appx 962 mi.). Using Mobil 1 full synthetic, still I dont know why, got home from my trip and had to add 2 full quarts to TOUCH the dipstick. Usually between recommended service intervals my car ONLY consumes 2-2.5 quarts of liquid gold. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! This is just as bad as GM's transfer case problems, which they were fully aware of BEFORE they were put into production. Does anyone know of a VERY GOOD Corporate attorney that would be willing to file a class action lawsuit? I have a little moneyb to burn and would sure like to get the ball rolling. NEVER EVER going to purchase a GM product again, and will do anything I can to stop others. Tomorrow the car is going to be parked right in front of Dealer with a giant LEMON on the roof. I will be there telling everybody about GM's "NO RECALL OR TSB, so no problems exist policy.
    klamper,

I apologize for the frustrations you have been experiencing with this concern. Have you taken your vehicle into your dealership to have an oil consumption test performed on it? If not, this would be the direction I would recommend towards resolving this concern with your vehicle.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I see GM is suggesting you have an oil consumption test done at the dealer. At least GM is doing an oil consumption test now. My service writer just shrugged his shoulders when I suggested the car was consuming oil. While it's good to know some folks may be able to avoid the hell I went through, you gotta know I wish I hadn't had to go through it myself. Oh well.........always blazing a trail here. Somebody has got to walk point.

I suggest you observe the strategy employed by mrvr2u mentioned earlier in this thread.
  • carolsue1carolsue1 Member Posts: 4
    I have had the same problem with the Cadillac CTS and the oil consumption that I am reading about. My car is 6 years old and has less than 28k miles on it. I have had regular oil changes and now my engine blew. Cadillac doesn't care and I am out alot of money and basically have to trash this car (which is otherwise in mint condition). I will never buy a Cadillac again. I have already contacted an attorney and I am interested in filing a class action suit against Cadillac (GM). Who is on board with me?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Using the forums to organize legal action isn't permitted.

Additionally, class action lawsuits generally take YEARS to resolve, and in the end the consumer often gets a settlement in the form of either 1) fixing the issue (on a vehicle they likely no longer own by that time), or 2) something like a $500 off voucher toward your next Cadillac vehicle purchase.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• carolsue1carolsue1 Member Posts: 4
    Didn't know you can't use these forums for that. Well, I already have an attorney working on it for me. I find it disgusting that Cadillac can get away with this. I wish I had known before it happened (unfortunately I didn't go around googling information about the Cadillac until it happened). If I had known, I would NOT have bought the car off the lease. I would have turned it in and bought a completely different (probably foreign) car.