Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toy, Model & Collectible Replica Cars

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    I remember those kits. I never bought one though...never saw the advantage over the built models, as they cost the same here. I remember them mainly being the Porsche 911 and vintage cars, too.

Some odd stuff there, all purchased in Italy? That Shadow is also one of the earlier Bburagos I think, along with the Land Rover.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Yeah, I had them all when we lived in Italy. I wasn't able to take all of them with me unfortunately.

I had a little catalogue of the cars I should have kept, cause it had a lot of the early models there (including some cool California van conversion with a surfboard).

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

Wow, I've never heard of a van like that.

I have a Bburago catalogue from 1987 packed away somewhere. By then cars like the Shadow were out of production.
    Sounds like it's little over $10/car. It might be hard to justify to your loved ones if you blow $1500 at once, instead of over the span of a year.

The joy of being single, nobody to explain things to. I bet lemko could swing it too.

I have no interest in starting an ebay toy shop (I bought a large lot of stuff to sell on ebay a few years ago, and I made money...but not a high wage given the time involved), but for a collector...it might be good.
    That's the nice part of being single, yes. However I don't mind having my fiancee keeping me in check once in a while.
    She's already getting fed up that I bring so much "junk" home from work including banners, ads, vinyl promo materials, brochures, and anything else car related.

But I think I would have a hard time justifying spending $1500 in one shot on those cars unless I really really wanted them (even then I'd have a hard time).

If I worked for a MB dealer, I would be in trouble, I can say that. I am also lucky I have a smallish apartment limiting my crap...I won't be one of those people paying rent on a storage room for their knicknacks.

$1500 doesn't buy many a huge amount of vintage material...so if you like that new stuff, it could be rationalized.

Lately, my Matchbox fever has faded...I have all the cars I want, or want to make room for. No more obsessive feelings lol. And most other things I like are painfully expensive, so maybe I'll cut back.
    Looks like I'll be renting some kind of storage after the wedding because I don't think the apartment we'll move into will hold much stuff, especially this back end of a Civic I brought from work (used to a demo for backup sensors/backup camera, alarm etc.)

Speaking of MB, I should tap into my resource at one of the MB dealers here (I know a guy I went to school with in parts). I have an MB calendar which is about foot and a half by two feet big, with really nice MB photography. I know they had these a few years ago but can't find them anymore. Maybe he knows.

Ha, that's pretty cool. Does the trunk detach, so you could make it into a weird sort of chair, or could it be used as a table or something? I guess the better half probably wouldn't allow such a thing though...

If I worked for MB, I would be skimming all kinds of stuff...sales material, promo stuff like calendars and models, and I am sure service areas get their share of emblems and other parts.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Our shop foreman has his Massive 1,500 lbs plus tool box decorated with various rover bits.

He has the complete Range Rover lettering across the front and various other badging.
    The trunk lid is fixed in place so it doesn't open. My better half is ok with the stuff I have, she just gets annoyed when I bring more junk home.

When I first started with Honda I felt like I was in heaven: free brochures, and promo stuff. I guess the other guys are not into this stuff too much so before they chuck anything away they always put it aside for me cause they know I'll take it.

I just brought home a few months ago these huge dealer paint tiles for 2005/2006 Honda models, with fabric samples as well.

If you can you should make contact with someone in your local MB dealer and you might get some stuff. You'd be surprised how much brochures, posters, cardboard showroom displays we throw out every year (basically the stuff that I have no room for).

I am sure the high end brands are no different.

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Yeah we just threw out a bunch of 2005 and 2006 stuff that we have no more room for. We kept a few things for help with used cars but every thing else was tossed.
    If I were in your area I would have been at your door step immedietaly. :blush:

I should see if they have an attic, I wouldn't mind finding a fintail showroom poster or banner...if they even bothered with such a thing
  • alek77alek77 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1/60 scale majorette toy flatbed transport truck and the cab is yellow and says "TP ENTERPRISE" on it and the flatbed is light grey. It used to have a folding plastick ramp at the back, but it broke off.What is this toy called? Can you please post a picture of yours if you have one and see if it matches the one I discribed? Thank you. :D:)
  • alek77alek77 Member Posts: 2
    I found out what truck it is! It is No.4503 Heavy duty transporter. Do you have this? If you do, can you place pictures of it here?
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...one of those neat gasoline-powered model cars built by Cox Industries? I used to have a nice model dune buggy built by Cox back around 1973. I was only about 8 years old back then, but I think they had a two-stroke engine and ran on a special fuel similar to the stuff you use in a weed-whacker. There was also a power pack consisting of a series of C-batteries connected by a copper wire that would activate a glow plug. Once the glow plug warmed up, the engine started and you let 'er rip!. It was a lot of fun, but you had to clean up an oily mess from spilled fuel.
  • hudsonthedoghudsonthedog Member Posts: 552
    I had a Pinto gas-powered drag racer. It was a round-de-round where you put a stake in the ground and the car was attached by a line. You started the car up and it went really fast...in a circle. I haven't got a clue what happened to it.

As for models, I've got well over 150 1:12, 1:18, 1:24, 1:43, and 1:87 models. Some of them are pictured on my CarSpace page.

Some of my favorites include a Jaguar X-Type (1:87), Bugatti EB110 prototype (1:43), 1996 Dodge Caravan (1:24), 1947 Chrysler Town and Country (1:18), and a 1964 Ford Mustang (1:12).
  • pantiomepantiome Member Posts: 1
    image" I was Wondering how much this car is worth its a Telsalda Jaguar "S" Type Saloon In perfect Condition with all the special features i.e Opening Boot, Spare Cheel, Three oppening luggage and a roof rack) its scale is empire and i think it is a 1965 jaguar "s" type saloon. Also it has a High Power Friction Motor.

Thankyou in advance,
    Joe Stewart
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    nice model.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    Telsalda...one of the early Hong Kong makers, uncommon in NA. I'd say it should be worth $50-100, maybe a little more if sold to someone in the UK.
    ...a really nice 1:18 scale diecast of a 1966 Cadillac S & S ambulance at the Spring Carlisle this past Saturday.
    ...a really nice 1:18 scale diecast of a 1958 Buick Limited Riviera two-door hardtop at the Carlisle All-GM show two weeks ago. This model has an interesting feature - actual spring-loaded windshield wipers. I'm starting to see the features on much more expensive diecast cars trickle down to less expensive replicas - i.e. types of hinges used on doors, hoods, and decklids.
  • martysaabmartysaab Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks,
    just purchased a Silver 1996 900 SE convertible and would like to have a scale model of same for my desk - I can't see the car from my office....
    Anyone have an idea where I might find one?
    Thanks!
  • martysaabmartysaab Member Posts: 2
    Thanks fintail. I'll keep my eyes on these sites. Not pushing my luck - I'd love to have a scale model with opening doors, hood, trunk, etc. I'd appreciate any and all help!
    ebay would be another source, but I checked yesterday and there wasn't much selection at the time.

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    preferably gold which was a 99 only color.
    Scale models of older Volvos are very uncommon, few were made when the cars were new or today. I hate to say it, I have never heard of a model of that exact car, or pretty much any Volvo of that era.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    Thanks Fintail. That's about the conclusion I've come to also. The ones on Ebay are usually silver or red. Have been tempted to buy one and spray it myself. Might bring back memories of the old AMT days! Have seen some gold coupes, but don't want to take a hacksaw to the top!
    Repainting it wouldn't be too hard, but doing metal modification is more intense work, as the cheap metal the model cars are made of is not very stable and is prone to crack.

It's tough finding models of a lot of modern cars, even the interesting or somewhat exotic cars. On the other hand, I was at a little drugstore not long ago, and in their display of cheap 1:43 Chinese scale model toys, was a lineup of 08 Corollas. Exciting.
    I actually managed to find a model of a 2000 Cadillac DTS several years ago. Wish I could find one of my current ride, especially in black. There are plenty of models of the Chrysler 300 out there and not all are marred by the stupid "dubs" model makers tend to put on too many cars.

If you want models of fintail Mercedes, there are a lot of really nice examples I see at car shows. I saw a really nice tin toy from the 1960s for which the vendor wanted a ridiculous amount of money. I think I had a blue Corgi fintail when I was a kid and remember having a gold 1977 or so 450SEL from Majorette that was pretty nice.
    I think I remember a 1:18 DTS, yeah. I know there were models made of the old CTS as well.

I am amazed at how many model fintails have been made, from tiny Z-scale all the way to 1:18+. I don't have nearly every type, there are simply too many. I do have a large tin Bandai example, probably similar to what you saw at the show. The blue 1:43 British diecast example was a Dinky - Corgi made a W111 coupe, but the box for it showed a fintail and not a coupe. I am familiar with that Majorette car too, I had one of those, the old style with three spoke wheels. Tomy also made a reasonable 450SEL which I had when I was a kid. Matchbox made a 450SEL too, but it was not better than the others. And Hot Wheels, which I always considered the crudest of the mainstream small diecast makers, had a very well proportioned W126 to oppose their ridiculously bad W124 wagon. Matchbox had a C126 that was pretty good too, I remember that was one of my favorite cars.
  • writerwriter Member Posts: 121
    "1996 Dodge Caravan (1:24)"

I do not have a big collection, but I have been buying a few things. Eventually, I will probably put together a specific collection. One thing that has been a big disappointment is that I cannot find any of the minivans. I am surprised that you got that Dodge. Can you tell us a bit about it? Who made it? Is is good?

The only minivan that I have seen advertised is a MotorMax 1:43 Ford Windstar (I think 2001). However, I have never seen one in a local store.

MotorMax also advertises an 1:60 scale Ford Maverick. The only Mavericks I have seen in the local store are 1:24. Normally I prefer 1:32 and 1:24, but in this case, I want to buy one to give to a friend. His mother had a Maverick. But he is not going to want anything as big as a 1:24.

Another thing I would like is a 1:24 1937 Chevrolet 2 door Coupe. I have a 1:25 plastic AMT model kit, but it will probably stay in its box unassembled for the next decade. I have no time to build it.
    Seems like Hot Wheels started making realistic replicas only a few years ago, and their latest cars are pretty good. I never liked them till only a few years ago.

Matchbox made a ca. 1:60 scale Caravan back in the 80s, and Tomica and Majorette made similar sized versions of the period Toyota vans, if you count those. Hot Wheels made a Ford Aerostar. Majorette also made a Pontiac dustbuster van.
    I have seen those, yeah. I am so specific anymore and I prefer vintage toys, so for me to buy a modern model would have to be because it was a car I really like, or own.

I still like the AutoArt/Minichamps models, along with Kyosho cars when it comes to realism. And I still have a soft spot for my old Bburago models.
    That Matchbox Caravan also had an acutal sliding door too iirc.

Yep it did. I had a black one and a blue and white one, I think.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    That Matchbox Caravan also had an acutal sliding door too iirc

Probably worked better than the ones on the big Caravans. :P

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

That Matchbox Caravan also had an acutal sliding door too iirc

Probably worked better than the ones on the big Caravans

Not so sure about that. I've seen quite a few of the Matchbox Caravans belonging to other kids that had the doors missing altogether.

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    Seems like Hot Wheels started making realistic replicas only a few years ago, and their latest cars are pretty good. I never liked them till only a few years ago

Hot Wheels semi-exclusive license to reproduce Ferraris in 1:18 scale has long been the bane of scale Ferrari collectors. Until recently their efforts were limited to cheesy reissues of models by Burago and other low end producers but the introduction of their higher priced Elite Series has helped.

I recently gave into temptation and bought their 1:18 Ferrari 250GT Lusso Berlinetta . I have long sought a Lusso in just about any scale but held off when their regular series Lusso was released because I'd been disappointed by previous releases .

It turned out the Elite Series Lusso Berlinetta is a decent buy for the price (about $80) but the detailing is only adequate and not IMO up the potential of a replica of the most beautiful Ferrari ever made.

If only Ferrari would permit/encourage better makers like Kyosho, CMC and Auto Art to issue their versions of Ferrari Classics I would gladly pay three times what Hot Wheels Elites cost.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I have a small collection of @300 toy and scale model cars. I also have about 50 un-built kits. I have 15 Ford promos from the '60s that were given to me by my uncle; none with boxes sad to say. The rest are models of cars I have owned or would like to own. As a result, they are almost all BMWs, Jeep Wrangler TJs, or Mazdas. I have also built a couple of dioramas which have won trophies at BMW CCA Oktoberfest events. Some of my favorites include:
    -a Minichamps 1:43 scale M 635CSi in the same color scheme as the one I ran from 1992-1995(Schwartz/Silber Grau)
    -a 1:18 scale 3.0 CSL Calder Art Car given to me by Satch Carlson for my 50th birthday
    -an original BMW Baby Racer kids ride-on toy I imported through back channels for my son a couple of years before BMW NA started bringing them in
    -a 1:24 scale Tamiya kit of the Mazda 787B Le Mans winner and the Studio 27 photo etch detail kit(frankly, I'm scared to build it)
    Most of my collection is at my office, but now I'm semi-retired and I will be working out of my home. My wife and I are turning a spare bedroom into a home office/study and I'm hoping I can find enough shelf space... :P

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Sounds like a nice collection you have. it's always nice to display it all when you have the space like I did, but now all mine are packed in boxes (you can see photos on my car space).

• writerwriter Member Posts: 121
    " . . . because it was a car I really like, or own."

This is the main theme of the models I have been buying. I am looking for cars that my family has had over the years. Mostly, they are not "classics" but they bring back real memories. The stuff that has been available in North America has mainly been for "car fans". Admittedly, that is where I came from. But it is not where my head is currently at. For the most part, I could care less about a static model of a Ferrari. On the other hand, I can remember good times I had in my life, associated with an Olds Cutlass Supreme, I think around 1976 vintage (not sure -- it was not my car, but I got a lot of rides to places in it).

My dad had a Malibu for a while, but I cannot remember what year that was. If I get the details somehow, I will probably hunt that one down, despite the fact that I rarely sat in it -- it was part of my family.

There are others. Mostly we had 4 door versions at that. Some of the better UK stuff comes in 4 door versions, but it is rare in North America.
    It's pretty hard to find modern scale models of everyday old (70s-90s) cars, especially American cars and lesser foreign makes. One can usually have more luck if they look at vintage toys from the period when the car was new - especially in the past, more toys of boring everyday cars were made. The detail often won't be as good, but it's better than nothing.

No toy versions of a mid-70s Cutlass come to mind, but I do know Corgi made an equivalent of a period Buick sedan.
    If it's the same car I'm thinking of, it's Kojak's Buick and it even comes with a Kojak figure and a minature roof light.

As for unusual models of 1970s American cars, when I was a kid I had Lindbergh models of a 1975 Chrysler Cordoba and a 1975 Mercury Monarch. They looked like they might've been based on dealer promos.
    Yep that's the one, a Buick Regal. IIRC it was also made in police car and normal forms. Corgi also made a Starsky & Hutch Torino. Corgi made some oddball American cars, including a nice little AMC Pacer.

Lindbergh and Jo-Han both made some everyday American cars in decent detail at 1:24 scale, very much like promos. I believe both companies are still in business.
    I've seen a new line of model cars come out, They're called Sweet Cherries and they're 1:87 scale, but they're all domestics from the 70s and 80s. They have a Tempo, a Pacer I think, a Pinto, and other run of the mill cars.