Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Starting/Stalling Problems

Comments

• fuhrtfuhrt Member Posts: 2
    to give more info. the smell is worse when first start when cold. it is coming through the defrost/ventilation. I looked for a leak did not see anything arounf the rear of the engine.
  • Danny69Danny69 Member Posts: 4
    hey guys i got a grand am gt year 2001 and every time i give it gas it doesnt hit the next gear right away...like it over revs, its hard to explain it but its as if its struggling to get into the next gear it over revs a little bit and then changes but this is only wen i punch it. I drove a civic and it would shift gears right away so i was a bit worried wen i drove my car right after and it didnt switch right away. hopfully u guys know wat i'm talking about and if not feel free to ask me to clear things up and let me kno if u guys know how to fix this problem. thanks.
  • gtxgtx Member Posts: 16
    GM paid off on DexCool. I didn't get what I asked for, but I got something. I hope everyone else that had the intake manifold gasket/ head gasket problem got taken care of.

Jon.
  • breynomarbreynomar Member Posts: 2
    OK! I joined this blog hoping have any answers that could help me! Please!

Last October I made a copy of my key just in case, my aunt used it and the secury light got on, she turn off the car and turn the key around and started the car with no problems.

Since that my car had some starting problems, I chaged the ignition and the mechanic view for other problems about battery, etc. And was all right!

Suddenly the starting problems came back! About two weeks ago I drove to my work fine, when I got off the car wouldn't start. You can imagine how I felt, after 45 minutes of traying and no other ideas, I put my car in Neutral and started with no problem. I drop my car to the mechanic and they didn't found nothing because the car started with no problems! (I left my car with them almost 5 days and nothing). :S

So last Saturday was happy on my day off and what I got? Yes starting problems again! The first time I replay using the same method on Neutral, I stopped in my second place and had the same problem, and did it again on the third one! So I realize that it was the perfect time to drop it with the mechanic so they can experience the same problem and find out what is wrong with my car, but no success, it's Monday now and they haven't got any starting problems at all.

Any ideas? Help needed! :cry:
  • kristindn04kristindn04 Member Posts: 4
    Good with the 01 grand am.Hope you didnt spend too much on it. Mine has poor accleration. Try cleaning the mass air flow sensor with carborator fluid. That may help. I am trying to get rid of mine. Too bad it stopped working again. :mad:
    Sorry, no ideas here, but when you find a solution please post it. I have a Grand Am GT '01 with about 119,000 miles on it. I already cut the security wire due to getting sick of having to leave my key in the ON position for an hour in order for my car to relearn the key code. I just had the fuel pump replaced Tuesday, ran good all Wed. Thursday it was low on fuel towards the end of the day. The fuel gauge jumped back and forth from empty to a little more than 1/4 full. (never did that before). Filled it all the way up. That night parked it to wash it. Went to start it up and it would start, then kill about 2 sec later. :mad: Over and over again it would start then kill. I let it sit overnight. The next morning it wouldnt start at all and now makes a low boom noise as I turn the key to OFF after trying to restart it. Once it starts the last drive it will take will be to a dealer to trade it in. It still doesnt start...did anyone ever find out WHY it starts then kills? I have seen this problem here before. :sick:
    I havent tried putting my car in neutral to get it to start when I had Passlock/security key issues. Look in the Passlock/Security forum on here. It should explain to put the key in the ON position for no less than like 12 min (which lets the car relearn your keycode). Eventually if that doesnt work try 1 hour. Thats what I had to do. But make sure you have your parking break on otherwise the battery will drain. If that turns out to be the solution...think about cutting your security wire. It is posted on the internet how to do that as well. I had to.
  • seeingstarsseeingstars Member Posts: 4
    Here is my problem 3 times in about 500 miles my car has stalled out first time I was doing 45 on a straight away the lights came on and stalled I put it in park started right up went on my way the second time I put gas in it drove about 6 miles slowing to a stop car made a buzzing sound stalled out in the road someone helped me push it to the side would not start up waited about 10 min started right up drove home last night got gas same station (walmart) just about the same spot it stalled out again this time no buzzing just quietly stalled I threw it in neutral started no problem and I went home it is not over heating drives great no engine light or any thing I had a new fuel pump installed in December along with a new battery from time to time security light will come on and I have to wait to start it sometimes the light does not come on i just have to wait to start it anyway the car is a 2003 126thousand miles anyone have any ideas because no one else does.
  • bret19lov23bret19lov23 Member Posts: 1
    :cry: i have a 96 pontiac grand am has 69000 miles on it had it for about 6 months. was driving home saturday night and the engine light flickered i heard this rapid ticking noise then all of the warning lights flickered and then the engine stalled... the intereior lights were still on, and the head lights were still working... i tried to start it it turned over on the 4th try...i had he battery replaced it worked fine until tonight, i was at a red light and the engine just quit, same thing interior and exterior lights were still on, luckily it started back up on the 3rd attempt... i'm thinking its a short, but what could it be?? back in september i had a new ac compressor put in becasue the other one was shot... NEED HELP PLEASE...
  • grandamsamgrandamsam Member Posts: 2
    You most likely need a new starter. I just had the same problem, and had a new one installed.
  • grandamsamgrandamsam Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like you need a new alternator.
  • my1stcarmy1stcar Member Posts: 1
    i dont know what to do about my car i dont want to take it to a shop to get the oil changed when i know how to expect this is my first car and i have to reset something when i change the oil i dont know where the button or what ever is cause i dont have an owners manual , as far as starting , its pretty good except i have to knock the starter off its hot spot cause i burnt it up when my battery went dead other wise i LOVE MY CAR! But if any one can tell me where to look or what to do about the oil change i would really appreciate it!!! :confuse:
  • cjdaviscjdavis Member Posts: 4
    1995 Dual Overhead Cam 2.3 l engine - idles rough at 500 rpm with low power & hesitates when accelerator is push. When I put it into gear, it stalls/dies.

I have replaced the sprak plugs, and the ignition coils.

Any Ideas?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Check the fuel pressure and flow rate. Could be the fuel pump.
    Thanks for the reply.

I checked the fuel pressure - it is fine. I also checked to ensure that the fuel injectors are working correctly. They are.

More History - I could have included a little more history that would have been helpfull. I completely rebuilt the engine (new pistons, rings, bearings, etc. and had the cylinder head machined. When everyting was reassembled, the engine started, but idled really rough, the brake pedal was hard, and the air would only come out of the top vent - no matter the setting. The car ran great on the road.

I did some research and found that I had the Brake Booster vacuum hose in the wrong place. I corrected the vacuum hose problems, and tried again. No change. When the MAP vacuum line was removed from the intake manifold, the engine ran better.

Not finding any other vacuum leaks, I resorted to the intake manifold since I had removed the intake manifold after it was torqued down to get to some wiring. I installed a new intake manifold gasket, and started the car. The engine was hard to start (similar to an the old days of the choke) and had a strong emissions oder. I had a good brake pedal, but once started, the engine ran poorly and would die if left idling, or as soon as it was put into gear.

I changed the spark plugs, no luck.

This had happened once before a little over a year ago. The diagnosis was a bad coil. The coils were replaced and it ran fine for a year.
  • kylehunter44kylehunter44 Member Posts: 6
    CJ try changing your Idle Air Control Valve. I had the same problem wit my 2001 Grand Am but it runs fine now that i changed it.
    Thanks - Will give it a try.
  • chachiechachie Member Posts: 1
    HELP I replaced my engine with a reman box engine and had my trany rebuilt. The car will not stay running at idle, have checked all vacuum lines and checked plenum and intake for leaks. I have replaced all injectors. The fuel pressure is about 44 psi with the key on. about 35 cranking. I have done a compression test and all cylinders are in spec. I have no clue what to do now. the car will start ,but you have to keep your foot on the gas to keep it running , it will drive down the road but takes forever to get to speed . I am also thinking that the cat converter may now be clogging . Please help ,I have just put new tires and struts and springs on all 4 have invested alot of money in this car any suggestions will be helpfull
  • craigw3craigw3 Member Posts: 1
    Car stalls at higher speeds from 40 to 70 mph. Car will not start again for
    another 5 to 10 minutes. Mechanics could not find the problem so far. I
    am wondering if it could be a sensor? This is an ongoing problem.
  • kenny63kenny63 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Grand Am, I am having a problem with the starter. When I turn on the key everything works,except when I can try to start the car and the starter doesn't do anything, not even a noise. I have had the starter checked at Auto Zone and it shows to be good, I also had the battery checked and it also showed to be good. Also all the connections are clean. Could there be a safety switch somewhere causing this problem. Please help
    Yes it could be a safety switch, but it could also be the ignition switch. If you can , see if voltage is being applied to the solenoid on the starter when the key is turned to the start position.
    Is there an aftermarket security system installed? It could also be the problem.
    Also, have you tried to start it in neutral?
  • angeleyes86angeleyes86 Member Posts: 1
    This morning I went to drive to class and noticed my gas guage was low. I know I filled it up last week. So I was like ok I guess I used it all? I figured I could make it to the gas station. The needle was below the last notch. I was like there is no way my tank is empty. I make it down the road and it started jerking. I turned around and made it back up the driveway and parked it. No leaks. No gas smell. So im guessing its the fuel injector or fuel pump? Does this sound right?. If so how long does it take to fix?. I'm sure I can do it myself ;)

Also I had a problem with the dexcool myself. Last summer A gasket blew and my coolant leaked out like someone tipped over a 2 liter. Had it fixed and it leaked again. So I fixed it myself. Tore the engine apart and put in all metal gaskets. Flushed the dexcool out and went back to the old green stuff. Havent had a problem yet. Engine runs good and no leaks. I will never put dexcool back in my car again.
  • corbin_09corbin_09 Member Posts: 3
    My problem is like most others here, the car wont start. I'm not sure if its the passlock failing because the security light is on solid when I start it and when its in the ON position. At first, the light used to flash and I would try the resetting method, in which worked briefly. Now, the intermittent cranking problems have drained my brand new battery. I tried boosting it about three weeks ago, and it drove perfectly for three days. However, when I tried the same thing two weeks ago, it fired up without hesitation and just completely powered off about three minutes after I started it.
    Its not the fuel pump because I replaced that with a brand new one in October of last year, and I'm hearing the fuel pump engage when the car is in the ON position. One more thing: it sometimes shuts completely off while I'm driving, and that's scary! I'm tired of the trial and error fixing with this car. There have been thousands of $$$ spent between the dealership and one-the-side mechanics for the same issues recurring... could someone please help diagnose this problem!!!
  • cpthandscpthands Member Posts: 2
  • cpthandscpthands Member Posts: 2
    i think i might need a new fuel pump but wondering what i can do before i pay alot for that...

if my car sits over night or while im at work it cranks but wont start right up. once it turns over i try starting it a couple times but wont stay running til about the third try. but from then on runs great and i can turn it off and on with no problems. its only when it sits for a while.

does this sound like a fuel pump problem or something else? any answers will help
    It could be, but from your description it could also be a problem with the cold start enrichment, the "choke" for fuel injected cars, since it only seems to occur when it's been sitting and has cooled down.
    The fuel pump can be tested for pressure and flow rate to get an idea of it's condition.
  • jackofaltradesjackofaltrades Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like the issue lies in the Security System. With the key in the on position (not start position), is the security light flashing? If yes, wait ten minutes till the light goes out. Turn off the ignition switch and then re-start the car. I found out the hard way, a tow and a shop bill. The second time I found the solution on the net. Happens once a month now. Could be the Ignition Switch or the OBC, either way a grand to fix.
  • ja33ja33 Member Posts: 23
    At 36,000 miles my 2001 Olds Alero started having passlock starting problems. At first it was every other month and then after 2 years it happened with every other turn of the key. Since I am not the least bit mechanically inclined, I tried any and all procedures suggested on the internet except cutting wires, or installing a new switch. Eight months ago I decided to clean the grooves on my ignition key with a squirt of 3 in 1 oil. THE CAR STARTED RIGHT UP. I did it again for the next 3 days to gain little confidence in the procedure. THE ALERO CONTINUES TO START EVERY TIME

Now once a month I oil the key, push it in and out of the switch slowly a couple times. When starting the car, do not jam the key in quickly and turn. Take your time. It seems to be a very sensitive switch, and needs a little TLC to prevent dirt build up. Try it. A little 3 in 1 oil squirt might save you a $500 repair bill. I told my GM dealer mechanic about this solution. He said "Yeah, it might work"

Other Olds Alero have tried this and it really works. Let me know if you try and it solves your starting security problem.
  • miss_jinxymiss_jinxy Member Posts: 2
    Hey Guys and Gals,

I posted not too long ago about my girlfriends 2003 Grand AM GT Ram Air not starting we had changed the Fuel Pressure Regulator Fuse and Fuel Filter. It all started happening once every 6 months then it became more often. We had checked everything from Fuel Pump, Battery, Alternator and Starter, I had checked at another website about replacing the Entire Ignition Switch and the BCM. I replaced it and it only cost $150.00 for both parts from a donor car in the wreckers and now the issue is gone. I decided to post this because replacing those parts from the wreckers can be cheaper than replacing your Fuel Pump. Goodluck to the ppl having issues with their cars.
  • drhrejsadrhrejsa Member Posts: 5
    2003 v6 grand am. Ever sense Ive had this car it hates 2 start when its cold. 2yrs ago I had a new fuel pump put in, it just went out & thats what i was told they do, they wrk or they dont no in between. So thats good. when the weathers warm the car starts like a dream or when ive driven it 4 a while. If it sits over night when the weather starts cooling down its takes 30-45 mins 4 the car 2 start, its like the engine has 2 warm up from trying 2 start b4 it will, this morning i ran the battery down trying 2 start it & had 2 get some1 2 charge the battery, while I tried starting the car & after another 6-8 tries it stated yeah! I have NO IDEA what could b the problem, Im a single mom without alot of $ but have gr8 friends willing 2 help fix it, but they r stumped on where 2 start. They've not had a problem like this b4. So if any1 & I see that a few have (lol), have any idea on what this might be, I would b 4ever greatful 2 u!!!! :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
    Also forgot 2 mention 2, that b4 it got this bad, I could move it from park 2 neutral & it would start, now has problems in both gears. I live in NC & its been getting very cold so ANY help would b gr8.
    Sry< Im trying 2 put out as much info about the problem as I can. The starter is good & so is the alt. the security light comes on when i turn the car on & then goes off with the rest of the dash lights. The car tries 2 start, no clicking or anything like that, it turns over, but its not catching if that makes any sense
    I read all your other posts. This sounds like a simple cold start enrichment problem to me. It could be as simple as dirty fuel injectors or low fuel pressure, but it also be a PCM or sensor problem. On a fuel injected engine the fuel supply is enriched on cold start (kind of like a "choke" on carbureted engines).
  • jscubedjscubed Member Posts: 1
    So tonight I noticed that my Grand AM GT smells of gasoline. I also had a problem getting it to start on my way out to campus. It turned over but would not start immediately, which is odd because normally it starts right away, and I had to try once more to get the car to start.

Last winter break I had a similar problem where one day my car started and then stalled out. I had my friend take a look and he found that it had something to do with a connector on the fuel line being out of place. He plugged the connector back in and it worked fine until now, almost a year later. I'll be checking that again this weekend, but does anyone have any other advice?
  • aallen410aallen410 Member Posts: 1
    So my 95 Grand Am has just recently started to stall. It will start up in the cold/heat and drive fine. However, when I I drive for awhile and then turn off my car, it won't start up. Once it's done that I usually have to get a jump to start my car up. Is this the battery? I'm assuming so, but I'm pretty sure it was replaced within the last year or so. Can someone give me advice?
  • sloflyer0032sloflyer0032 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am. Earlier this year it began having starting problems and I learned that the fuel pump was not turning on sometimes when i put the ignition switch to on. (wouldnt hear it) This didnt seem to be a problem since I would just cycle the ignition switch off and on until i heard the fuel pump turn on. However, one day i lost all power while driving and had to get a tow. The mechanic told me that is was my fuel pump and I had that replaced. It worked perfect for about a month and now the same thing is starting to happen; at times the fuel pump doesnt always come on so the car wont start. I have checked the relay, ignition switch, fuse, etc, and obviously they did this when i had it towed in as well. Anybody have any ideas what this could be? I cant believe that it would be a bad fuel pump considering it worked fine for a month and now the same problem as before has come back. Thanks
  • deewmdeewm Member Posts: 5
    95 Grand Am Quad 4-does not have spark plug wires-has a distributor less igintion system. When it is damp and raining outside this car is hard to start and when it finally does start it sometimes runs just a couple seconds and cuts off again. While it is idling it misses and cuts off or almost cuts off. The car runs great otherwise. If its a dry day the car starts and runs like a new car. I know that these cars have problems with water getting inside and mine also does this. Could something be getting wet under the dash? I am a good mechinac but this car has me baffled. I just recently put a new crank sensor , ignition switch,and tuned it up. Any help would be great. Thanks
  • deewmdeewm Member Posts: 5
    Had trouble with my Grand Am being hard to start, missing and cutting off while driving. The cause was the oxygen sensor. I didn't know but it is something that should be replaced every 50 to100K. It will keep your car running more efficiently and will prolong the life of the cataltic convertor. It takes a special socket with a cutout in it to replace the sensor. Hope this helps someone.
  • 1998lincoln1998lincoln Member Posts: 108
    If you have a alarm system, it will cause these problems, if it thinks it is being stolen !
  • carso1carso1 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks folks, your suggestion on the security system helped me. My 01 Grand Am would not start-it turned over then turned off. I noted the security light was flashing, so I waited 10 minutes with the key on, then turned off and then restarted. All is well now, I don't know why the light went on, but it has been cold and damp and the battery charge was low and the car not run much latelly.
    This forum has helped me.
  • jason19deltajason19delta Member Posts: 2
  • jason19deltajason19delta Member Posts: 2
    I did a tune up , changed the plugs, wires, air filter, oil , and fuel filter. The car ran before i did this. Now it does not start. It turns over but will not start. I know i am gettin gspark and the firing order is correct. And i am getting fuel to the motor so anyone know what could it be??
  • grandampaingrandampain Member Posts: 1
    I had the exact same problems with my '03 Grand Am. I installed a new ignition switch and all problems went away.
  • nikinik3182nikinik3182 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 granf am that broke down 10 months ago due to starting then stalled out an then wiuld turn over but not catch. Everyone told me it was the fuel pump, I didn't have the money to tow it and fix it so it sat, I still felt in the back of my mind that it was out of gas because I didn't have much money to put in it the day it broke down, mind you where it broke down it was on a slight incline (the rear was on the incline) so we finally got it towed and started working on it and I told my bf to check everything b4 we replace the fuelpump (its costly) so he had my turn it on but not start and guess what the fuel pump was kicking on, so we relaced the fuel filter (which was horribly clogged) put gas in it and it started right up, with slight hesitation, it sat for 10 months) so we drove it home, it sat for a few hrs, I wanted to take it for a drive, it again started right up, went a mile down the rd and my "service engine soon" light came on and started flashing, which my bf said it did it when he drove it home, so I didn't think nething of it cause the chane ge oil light was on, and when that's on the service engine light comes on. So I parked it at my step moms, whose drive is a rear downhill incline)so when I went to leave it started but was puttingBAdN got down the frive, and it was still putting and barely accelerating, about 1/4 mile down the road it stalled out and won't start. So we had it towed again, the fuel pump is still kicking on but car won't start. We tried jumpiong it cause the battery is bad, can someone pleasseee help me with what this could be! Please thankyou and god bless
  • kanddsdadkanddsdad Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am. I cannot get the car to start on its own. I have changed the fuel pump and the filter with no luck. The car will start If I spray ether in the area of the air cleaner. It will run until it is shut off. Any ideas?
  • tommyp99tommyp99 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Grand AM GT and I'm having the same problem as you. Once the car is warmed up and I start my car over and over again without any issues. I've even left it sitting for around 5 hours and it started right up. But when I leave the car sit overnight it will not start in the morning until I spray ether into the airbox. I had my mechanic look at the car and everything checked out. I have good fuel pressure, spark, sensors are all working. His last thought was maybe I had some bad fuel in the car but I ran it down and filled it with gas from a different gas station and I'm still having the issue. We are out of ideas here. Anybody got a solution??
    Ok I dont' know if this is the fix yet or not but I was told on another forum to check fuse #37. It controls the A/C but I guess it also controls some other BCM functions. I actually noticed yesterday that my A/C wasn't working and only blowing hot air. I checked the fuse this morning and verified that it was blown. I replaced the fuse and now my A/C is ice cold. Unfortunately I already started the car this morning with ether so I'll have to check it again tomorrow morning. I will post an update again tomorrow.
    Check fuse #37 in the engine fuse box and see if it's blown. If it's blown your A/C won't be blowing cold air either. There should be a spare 10 fuse in the fuse box where the oil light reset is. Let me know if that works. I have to wait until tomorrow to find out if it fixed my cold starting issues.
  • alvet8910alvet8910 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought this car n when it dark n cool outside the car will stay running but during the day after an hour or so driving it it will start cuttin out n missing and lose power and sometimes when i get it started i putit n gear and it doesnt want to go and dies. i usually have to wait an hour before it will run ight again but it also sucks alot of gas down when it does this. smeone told e the coldair intake is too close....please help!!!!!!