Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3 hesitation on acceleration

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    X3s don't have push button start.. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• beemer335ibeemer335i Member Posts: 4
    Then use the key to do the same thing by turning it just short of making the engine turn over then floor it for 45 seconds. Turn it off and then start and go. This problem is BMW wide it seems. The 5 series has the same problem too.
  • dallas49dallas49 Member Posts: 2
    A month ago I bought a 2007 X3 (AT, 20k miles) from a local BMW dealer. The transmission problem was not prominent on my test drive. After driving the vehicle and experiencing most of the reported drivability problems for a week, I had the vehicle towed from my home to the dealer. The service dept. reported to me that they had checked the vehicle for all possible electromechanical problems and had found none in addition to having two technicians test drive it. I picked up the vehicle and continue to have problems. If there are software updates that fundamentally fix this problem why would a dealer offer a pre-owned vehicle for sale without performing the updates or complying with existing service bulletins?
  • kesnowkesnow Member Posts: 20
    The software updates don't fix it. BMW does not "admit" there is a fundamental problem with the transmission/engine control software. BMW engines use valvetrain control to increase/decrease fuel and air to the engine, thereby speeding up or slowing down engine. I've been told every time I took it in that BMW corporate had to "approve" any software updates, therefore the dealer will not voluntarily update the software. You'd be better off filing a lemon-law complaint. You have a case of deception and neglect. I've leased mine for the last 2 1/2 years and cannot wait to turn it back in. I will not own another BMW product. Good luck.
  • dallas49dallas49 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input. I took the car back to dealer service yesterday for my second attempt to get problem fixed. Car has about two years of factory warranty remaining and I had judged that this would protect me from major grief or costs. Apparently, not so, This is the 4th BMW I've owned after a 23 year hiatus driving other makes. Back in the early 70's a dealer tried to charge me for a fix on my 2002 and the regional BMW service rep interceded on my behalf and had the repaired charged to BMW. The good old days.
  • MLB6MLB6 Member Posts: 12
    D49, you think the transmission problem was not "prominent" on your test drive? May be there were none during the test drive. The 2007 X3si I have for the last two years, its behavior is constantly changing. The consistency is the inconsistency. And BMW believes my BMW experience should include going to the dealer more than ten times on the same complaint, while they perform the same routine of updating the software. And they finally confirm final characteristics in September 2008. OK may be the dangerous "characteristics" are mostly gone. But most other problems remained. It's not bad all the time: 80% of the time it drives OK, not great but OK. 19% of the time not good with jerks, some hesitations, and smooth accelerations and decelerations are just not possible. And 1% of the time, it's a real mess. It's worst when it's near freezing temperature or raining. Some days are better than other. Interesting that I took it to a local transmission shop specialized in rebuilding transmissions in luxury brands and just drives it for a few days. They told me I have a great truck, and they didn't notice any problem. Is it beauty in the eye of the beholder? I don't think so. Somehow, I believe my back and neck problems are due to my body adapting to the unjust interventions from the DME computer. I have to get rid of this X3, and I will feel sorry for whoever ends up having my X3. May be the newer software version v.32 would help, and I will have to ask them nicely to see if they are willing to put it in... D49, see if you can trade it for another X3 with no cost, may be a 2006 with more options. You bought it "used", I don't see why they can't take it back, at least you should be able to exchange it for another one. Good luck!
  • beemer335ibeemer335i Member Posts: 4
    Suggest you check out message # 154 thru #157 it might help.
  • jayvisjayvis Member Posts: 76
    Well folks, this is one example of many why I don't own a BMW. To be truthfull, I've always lusted over the thought of someday owning one. I test drove a 3 and 5 series back in the late 90's and was impressed with the handling and performance but was not keen on the stark interior designs. Since then I've finally reached the point financially where I can afford this class of vehicle and was very close to buying an X3 a few months ago. But after doing tons of research on the vehicle and BMW as a whole, I ended up buying a new Lexus RX350. I know, it's a totally different vehicle but I'll be damned if I'm going to put up with arrogant BMW sales people, pay a luxury price for a vehicle with a non-luxury interior and then have to endure the performance and quality issues that seem to be inherent with these vehicles. No, my Lexus can't corner at excessive speed but I'll bet it spends more time on the road and less time in the shop than an X3. I've lost a lot of faith in German car design.
  • daddymandaddyman Member Posts: 14
    It amazes me that no matter how many web sites post that there is a serious problem with the 07 AT people continue to buy them and then are dumb-founded when it happens to them. The fact that they have released multiple updates and still have issues says volumes. There is only one resolution to the AT problem should you have it. Lemon law --and an attorney. Both are free and will quickly get BMWNA's attention.
  • stupidnamestupidname Member Posts: 3
    I bought an 8000 mile '07 X3 3.0si for my wife in May '08. It was a Dealer car (loaner). $41k sticker, bought it for just under $29k in great shape with 8k miles. The Transmission is and has been flawless so far for about 15k miles we have put on it. I think it is a fantastic little truck/car and can get about 22 MPG out of it. I have not had a single issue with the Transmission and my wife has mentioned nothing. It takes off like a stinkin' rocket when I want it to, and drives perfectly with very slight foot pressure. I even tow a little trailer with it with my son's 1/4 Midget on it. Great vehicle and certainly not a Lemon by a longshot.
    You must have the best luck in the world--or you work for BMW....LOL Hope you never have any problems with it. I wouldn't wish them on anyone.
  • szimdahlszimdahl Member Posts: 5
    I also have a 2007 X3 CPO that I bought in April 2008. It was also a dealer loaner that I bought with 6300 miles on it. I haven't had any transmission issues either as far as not shifting or hesitating to make a turn. If I press the accelerator it goes! The only thing I can say about the transmission is it is a little "quirky" for an automatic. The downshifting as you reduce speed and let off the accelerator makes it feel like you are driving a manual tranmission and are downshifting through the gears. I also have a Volvo S40 and if you let your foot off the gas it does not downshift through the gears. This probably allows for a slight increase in gas mieage as well. Anyway, I think my X3 is a great vehicle and I guess I have just been lucky so far like the last guy!
    Folks, this thread is for those whose X3 are a little bit less perfect or a lot less perfect than those who are more "lucky". BMW would hope that after all the updates, you would agree with them that there are "no problem". For those continues to be dissatisfied with their X3, unless they are in the States in which Lemon Law rules, it would be an uphill battle to either wish for a better fix in the future or go though the legal system of their respective country.
    It has probably had the updates with that many miles. The previous owner probably couldn't have lived with it otherwise. The quirkiness is what I have after the V30 update. Does anyone know if there have been any more? My dealer and I aren't very "close" any more, so we don't talk much......6 more months and I can give it back!!!!!!!
  • redferoxredferox Member Posts: 1
    Fun times... my wife has the 07 x3si model and it had simply shut down while in motion on a turn for an on ramp :mad: . After weeks at the dealer and tier 3 evaluation - no sign of any issue. The X3 transmission now feels choppy and the buttons get a FAIL yesterday :confuse: . After getting in and activating the bluetooth for the drive home, buttons on the wheel and dash would redial the last number (stereo mode button), the voice activation would dial in alphabetical order... the only thing I like about this car is the sound system. It's a lease that's up soon and won't do that again. So I gave the wife my keys (LX470 w/ air suspension). Beside it serving as the mall cruiser, is also used for search and rescue in Oregon, Washington and California. Toyotas/Lexus have never left me, nor let me down but more importantly, the wife and kiddo feel safe. :)
    Paid off lease early due to crappy service from both BMWNA and my dealer. They are lemons and BMW won't admit it. Whoever writes the software for it should be sentenced to life in one. I kept getting updates but they always had some little issue that made it either better but no different in annoyance or more of a safety hazard. Pay if off and get rid of it; it is a death trap. You wont' get any kind of trade, so pay off your lease and let them deal with it. I was offered $23500 for it with a 28500 lease payoff. They don't even want them...... :lemon:
  • hb92647hb92647 Member Posts: 4
    Watch the video of accident that just happened in Huntington Beach California. I wonder if the car had similar problems ....
    I had one accident due to transmission problems so far (the car suddenly wouldn't move and the car behind me hit me) and narrowly escaped two more .... my husband was driving, stopped on red light, then the car wouldn't move on green and then jumped forward.

http://www.ocregister.com/video/index.php?bcpid=1127694947&bclid=1125901233&bcti- d=24673786001
  • patc3080patc3080 Member Posts: 4
    as soon as i test drove my 07 x3 i was captured by its bmw pedigree,I bought it without doing my homework,it was a used model a loaner 7500 miles.Why didn't I wonder why there was so many to choose from on the lot.The initial problem was wind noise from the sunroof.which took 3 visits to fix,but the ongoing problem is the way the tranny responds to small grade increases.Its so hard to put your finger on exactly whats wrong,but something is definitly wrong.I told the dealer I thought there was something wrong but they told me it was nothing,Im glad I found this site now I can start accumulating my service calls for this repair for which ther seems to be no cure
    Pat, go to bimmerfest.com. There is a whole thread dedicated to just this problem. Start tracking every detail as most people have had to call lemon law attorneys to get any real resolution. There is no "Fix" should you have one of the problematic transmissions.
    And for the hundreds of others that have a $40k rock or death trap they need to know how to get out of the thing. We are glad to hear that you hae not had to face down the equivalent of being stuck on a train track with a roaring train barreling down on you while you try to get out of the way. The vehicle is great when it operates. It is the 5% time it decides to exhibit the "I Don't Wanna'" attitude that is scary. Not frustrating, not maddening, down right scary. Once BMW comes up with a permanent fix and admits wrongdoing maybe people will stop slamming it, but this is not something that is made up for the fun of it. :lemon:
  • pp2009pppp2009pp Member Posts: 228
    New X3 2009. Super bouncy ride at low speeds which I now think is the GM6 AT problem that is in the 2007-08 models.

When coasting to a stop it shifts abruptly into low gear and can almost stop itself. When going over minor road imperfections it bounces around like a carnival ride.

Apparently there are some software fixes as this appears to not be a mechanical problem and not a problem on the manual transmission. The fixes may or may not work and there doesn't appear to be a complete fix for the problem.

Since there have been a number of s/w updates, BMW obviously knows about the problem but chooses to, what, ignore it? This is outrageous.

I am livid.

I will take it in (again) and see what can be done but if one other person tells me that this incredible jostling, teeth knocking ride is 'normal' I think I will sentence them to ride in the cargo compartment where they can hit their head on the ceiling.

:lemon: ????????? :mad: !!!!!!!!!!
    If you didn't buy then you are lucky.

I did. I am furious.

This is ridiculous. It is less than a month old and has had problems from the very beginning. I thought it was a very stiff, sporty suspension but that is it. It is probably the same, ridiculous transmission problem that BMW has seen fit to inflict on paying customers.

:lemon:
    What I have heard:

1. It is just the difference between a smaller wheelbase and a taller car.
    2. It is just bouncy but in a refined bouncy way.
    3. It is in your head.
    4. It is your driving.
    5. It is a brand new car, it will settle down.
    6. You will get used to it....I would have to be numb and blind because I can both feel it and see the effects of things falling to the floor and things hitting the ceiling...at low speed.
    7. It is what you put up with in order to get the handling - most ridiculous statement ever.
    8. IT IS NORMAL.

If this is NORMAL then NORMAL is UNACCEPTABLE.

This is ridiculous. I guess it is time to find a lemon lawyer.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    I vote for reason number 3.
    Anyone else?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

"live in Colorado so when it's really slippery, I use the manual transmission anyway, and it hugs the road."

Apparently it isn't a problem with the actual MT car or when you use the manual shifting but who wants to do that in city traffic?
    " I've have numerous 'near misses' with other cars and I've almost ended up on someones trunk when the car surged while stopped at a red light. "

New problem just showed up today. Driving along at 30 mph then sudden acceleration that comes and goes for no reason. The car surges forward, luckily no one in front, and then backs down.

This is weird.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    My wife has reported that her X3 speeds up when she pushes on the accelerator(far right) pedal and slows to a stop when she pushes the left pedal.
    Be careful out there!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I didn't hear about the AT problem before I purchased. Sometimes it is Google's luck of the draw as to what comes up and what does not.

I am now documenting the entire sorry experience and will post what happens next. Since this is the end of the style, I would think they would bother to test drive these cars and see if they exhibit these problems rather than selling them to the unsuspecting and having the problems come out in the first days of ownership.

They might end up with a handful of extra cars but now they end up with tons of irate customers who are so irate (most people just suck it up after all) that some actually complain to the NHTSA....in public. I don't get the bad PR.

" On the evening of 4/22/2007, I was traveling over the GW Bridge when the X3 lost all forward mobility and started to slow completely down in the middle of traffic. I pushed the gas pedal and the engine revved but it didn’t help. I noticed that the D indicator wasn’t showing. I also noticed a transmission waning indicator was amber on the console. I shifted the X3 into S for sports drive and the D came back up (not the S) and the vehicle continued to move staying in one gear until I was able to exit off of the bridge. When I pulled next to the curb and attempted to put the X3 in reverse it wouldn’t move. After turning the X3 off and letting the vehicle rest for 10 minutes, I was able to resume driving and the warning indicator did not appear again.

“In DRIVE mode the trans software is programmed to start off in second gear as an economy measure to help save gas. BMW did that on purpose. If you're fairly light on the throttle it will stay in Second, accelerate, and eventually shift into Third, Fourth and Fifth. Try it out and count the shifts. (You may need to watch the tach to notice the shifts, this trans can be really smooth at very light throttle and the higher gear shifts may only vary a few hundred rpm)

But if you put a little more foot into the throttle on take-off (i.e.: from a dead stop) the trans will shift down from Second to First to give you better acceleration. This is what it is supposed to do. It happens in an instant but you can still feel the car start to move, then "hesitate" from the shift, and then take off. If you have a light enough foot it may never even happen to you. If your foot is rather heavy you may notice it more at first but it will "teach" your trans really quick that you want a fast start most of the time.

Now in SPORT mode the trans ALWAYS starts in first, thus no "hesitation". The drawback to always using SPORT mode to avoid the "hesitation" (gear change) is that it almost NEVER shifts into Fifth gear in city driving. The vehicle has to reach a certain speed before it will upshift to Fifth. That can really hurt your mileage in town if you never get over 35-45 mph. AND your trans never gets a chance to "adapt" to your style in DRIVE mode.”

Nevertheless, what really sticks out is the concern about how dangerous many of the X3 owners feel the hesitation problem is. I have experienced it first hand and am afraid to pull out of a gas station onto a highway without a very large open window in the road – people honk at me, but I can’t trust the car. Moreover, my wife feels she cannot put our grandchildren safely in it.

Next, let’s discuss the other issue – I hit the jackpot – I have both of the major, hidden problems that BMW has with this vehicle. The transmission failure I experienced and the resulting inability to shift into reverse. It’s all over the place, Consumer Affairs knows it and it’s been there for several years – good job BMW on the PR front, if a potential buyer doesn’t do their homework on the internet, they’d never know there was a problem.

By Joe Benton
    ConsumerAffairs.Com

=====================

I am light on the throttle with my new X3 because of the stuttering acceleration. A regular push on the pedal caused it to lurch and stop, lurch and stop until it hit a gear it liked and then went forward. There was no lead footing going on as would be indicated by the: Down to 1st fear and then up to 2nd gear fuel saving idea.

That fuel saving idea doesn't make much sense either as how much fuel can it save by being down 1 gear for a second or two? It still uses fuel to change the gears and why would saving a penny on gas would be worth hesitating while making an unprotected left turn or hesitating while merging into traffic or avoiding a collision?

I do not buy this explanation as it makes no sense trading safety for a few pennies in gasoline.
    You must be done on your lease next month.

Unfortunately, I bought mine...outright. What a ridiculous situation.

It has under 400 miles on it and it was a problem right off the bat. It went in for a drive last week and is now in the shop after another drive. I might have gotten a red light ticket (don't know if there is a camera there) as it wouldn't accelerate through the intersection to make the left turn until the light had turned red. Couldn't go backward, had to go forward.

I get much more bucking motion than others have experienced and all of this fun in a BRAND NEW CAR.

What is up with this?

:mad:
    As in the post above, I have experienced the inability to accelerate from a stop and a small surge of acceleration going down a flat to slightly hilly road at moderate speed.

What is up with this car?

The problems seem to center on the transmission although mine may actually have a problem with the suspension or something else entirely.
    Wow, I wish you guys were still active on this thread as it would help those who purchased to have NOT.

Someone with IIRC a defective LR plastered it with signs and left it parked on the road in front of the dealership. It really isn't the dealership's fault if they get a defective car although it is their fault if they string a customer along hoping they will just go away. This kind of thing has a mind of its own especially in premium brands.

If those with the 07-08 problems are still active on Edmunds, it would be great to hear what your resolutions of the X3 AT problems have been. It seems as if most were leased and so people just toughed it out until the end of the lease and gave up.

Those of us who own them do not have that option.
    So in doing more :lemon: research, here's an interesting thing. Other BMWs are/were having severe transmission problems using another GM transmission! In this case, people couldn't get their cars into REVERSE.

Now, who needs reverse on a car after all? Is it a requirement of safety laws for cars to actually go in reverse? Just park on the street or ask the kids to push you back out of the driveway...will that work?

Decades of being a BMW customer...D-O-N-E. What does it cost to put in a new transmission?

http://noreverse.org/

"This is the ONLY website that is solely dedicated to helping BMW owners voice their opinions and gather data on the KNOWN reverse transmission issue that prevents the cars from going in reverse. Oh, the wonderful feeling of no reverse.

Consumers from all over the U.S. are reporting the failure. Without notice, the reverse gear stops working in BMWs, many of them the popular 2000 323i luxury sedan."
    The X3 is doing this again.

While turning and decelerating from a 35 mph road into a side street, the X3 is downshifting hard and slowing itself down to nearly a stop. In order to complete the turn and go the 15 feet to the stop sign (another turn ahead) you have to put your foot on the accelerator.

This is bizarre. One answer is that the X3 figures that if you are slowing down at lower speeds you want to slow down and brake. What? X3 as nanny car? The real answer is that no one knows why this is acting in this odd manner.

From my experience, any other AT car would just coast itself to a stop and you have to apply brakes to stop, not accelrate into a stop. Defect? Beginnings of the AT problem emerging again? Feature? Operating within specs?

:surprise:
    Almost got hit today. From a stop, no acceleration, no acceleration then acceleration.
    How absurd is this?

I have a brand new 2009 X3 AT and was almost hit tonight due to the car's refusal to move forward until it darn well decided to.

The last s/w update appears to be in late 2007, what has happened since then?

:mad:
    ------------------ reprise

"This issue has nothing to do with the gas pedal. What is happening is that the car acts like it has run out of gas at times. Other times it simply shifts with a jolt. You are fortunate tha tyours doesn;t act that way, but many others wish they had never purchased this vehicle. "

"Adjust your driving style vsaxena? Cmon! I think that something fishy is going on here. Vsaxena sounds like a BMW representative to me!

We all know how to drive! I am 42 and all of my previous cars where fine. And yes, one was a BMW. I do not think the accelerator pedal is any different than most cars.

The X3 has transmission problems-period.

It hesitates from a dead stop, and also while going if you take your foot off the gas, then reapply it, it will sometimes hesitate. Also the downshifting could be quite rough. Mine was in twice already for programming. The first time it seemed okay for 3 days, then got much worse. The second time in...well I just got it back. Seems okay, but I cannot tell yet since I have to wait a week or two.
    Dont jump to conclusions on this after you get your service software update done. It takes a few hundred miles to adapt. I already had it hesitate twice. I will let you know. I have my doubts. If it gets bad again, then I will definitely be looking into Lemon Law rights before the third service attempt.
    I hope this is fixed! "

"Well is has been 450 miles since my 2 month old x3 has been in for service 2 times for the transmission hesitation problem. To be honest, it is MUCH better than it was, but it still hesitates intermittently. Unfortunately the hesitation pops up in the worst place-right in the middle of an intersection while making left hand turns-did it again yesterday! I guess it would do it on right hand turns as well. THe sd mode in my opinion has gotten worse on this program update-seems terribly erratic and rough.
    I guess I will wait awhile until they get another software update-(or if they do). I think twice before pulling out in traffic, and that sucks, because this is a BMW, its expensive, and it is SUPPOSED to work properly every time! "
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you're going to quote people, even if it is from two year old postings, I think you should at least indicate whom you are quoting or provide a link to the message. Dropping anonymous quotes without context tends to be confusing. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    OK, here is a link for my last post. I would add it to the post but I don't think I can edit it any longer. I am looking at postings from June of 2007 but, how odd is this, I am having similar (not exactly the same) problems in my brand new 2009.

What a mess. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

http://townhall.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f11ffdc/29
    #47 of 194
    Try maintaining constant pressure during turns by vsaxena
    Jun 26, 2007 (7:30 am)

"To improve mileage, it also will try to anticipate when you are trying to brake/stop and reduce fuel flow. During a turn many drivers tend to reduce the pressure on the gas pedal. This is not a conscious decision but happens with everyone. If you are taking off from a stop, and turning, and reduce the pressure on the gas pedal, the car might be anticipating that you are about to brake. The electronic throttle might be reducing the gas flow, in anticipation of the brake. So try and keep constant pressure on the gas pedal during turns."

============

Why does the X3 require this much fine tuning OF THE DRIVER? Blame the customer, blame the driver is all over these threads.

My car, sometimes but not every time, slows itself down to nearly a stop on turns. So sometimes it understands that you are slowing down and sometimes it does not?

Is the X3 just that stupid?

90 degree turns are generally done at the same speed, you do not take a turn at 50 mph for example. So when does the X3 decide to brake itself and when does it not? Is it the incline? Is it how fast it was going a few minutes ago? Is it the ambient temperature? What exactly causes the X3 to decide to brake itself sometimes but not at others?

Is the X3 just that stupid?

My X3 also jerks when accelerating slowly. When accelerating quickly it is much more smooth. So the answer is to lead foot it and hope you do not hit something? The answer is to continuing accelerating into turns and hope you do not hit something?

So my X3 can only be driven dangerously? You can get better gas mileage but you have dramatically increased the risk of hitting something?

What?
  • pjd5pjd5 Member Posts: 1
    2007 X3. Just took delivery two days ago. Forget hesitation between gears - all the posts I've read seem like child's play compared to what happened to me last night! While driving, it just slipped completely out of gear - as if it were in neutral. No gears engaged AT ALL! Only revving engine. This happened at a stop light with cars behind me, but I think it slipped out of gear even before I came to a stop. I put it in park and then back into drive and that didn't seem to do anything - still just a revving engine. Probably after maybe 5-6 seconds (seemed like an eternity, actually), it went into gear, and I was able to pull away from the stoplight. The transmission malfunction light went on and stayed on, but the car seemed fine. Then I got to my destination, parked it, turned it off, came back out 5-10 minutes later, started it up and the transmission malfunction light was no longer on. Drove okay on the way home. Anyone else ever had this happen????????? Taking it into the dealership today....
    Mine is an ultra crappy transmission and drive "quality" that BMW says it's normal and cannot do anything else for me. But looks like your's is a malfunction. Can we hear your purchase process? Did you do any DD on this. Did you do any research in the internet? Still wish they can fix it for you though. Good luck!
    Due Diligence?

Stop blaming the customer. Why is it your fault or my fault or his fault for this psychotic transmission. Blame BMW for making this ridiculous car AND for saying that this is normal. Normal?

The only reason to buy a BMW is for its ride. The X3 does not have the ride so it is an over priced, under performing HOJ.

:lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    This is new. Going uphill at 20 mph, push accelerator down - no acceleration, push down harder - no acceleration, tachometer suddenly springs up and down between 2 and 3K and acceleration commences.

Bizarre.
    None of these problems are new. Quit posting over and over again and go do something. I posted detailed circumstances so that people would NOT fall into the same problems I had. The 2007 was a brand new vehicle when I bought it so there was no prior issues. Had you read any of the thousands of posts people have made since then, over multiple web sites you might not be in the trouble you are in. That is Due Diligence.Now go get a Lemon Lawyer, decide what you want (buy back or trade assist) and take it from there.

Sorry, you are having these problems, but we cant resolve this--you can. And we have now told you how!
  • bbbbaaaa1234bbbbaaaa1234 Member Posts: 2
    I totally agree. It is a waste of time posting the same issues over and over again. Its is simple, if you are not happy with the problems these vehicles have you need to do something about it YOURSELF.

Now one is going to wave a magic wand and it is all going to be fixed for you, I KNOW. It took me getting off my backside and starting legal action and after long months of headaches and lots of evidence and finally the problem was gone!

My fight was with BMW in another country and we don't have the protection of lemon laws like you guys!

Im not having a crack here at anyone, but you need to understand that BMW as a company are NEVER going to admit there is a fault, they are one of the most arrogant companies around and could not give a f%^k about their customers, only their bottom-line!

These people who come on here and who are still considering buying one must be totally mad.....YES THESE LATEST CARS STILL HAVE THE ISSUE, BMW wont make a special X3 for you to buy that wont have the problem if you buy one. :lemon:

Sorry but I have been watching this thread for so long now and its the same thing over and over.
    Actually, that acceleration failure is new to me. That is fact. People are always entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts.

The entire point of threads such as these is to see what others have experienced and to see what the solutions are. Otherwise, they are useless. Most of the threads on these and other forums are talking about the 2007s and 2008s as if the problems WERE FIXED. Obviously, that is false and goes to the problem of DD.

Since temperatures have fallen about 30 degrees since I bought the X3, I am interested in finding out why acceleration failures appear to get worse with lower ambient temperature. If the problem is a s/w failure then why does ambient temperature affect the transmission problem? Isn't the s/w programming of gear shifts a function of speed and rpms?

If you do not have an actual answer to my probs then kindly ignore my posts. If you have an answer then I would appreciate that. Thanks in advance.
    So this is what it comes down to. The BMW X3's hesitation on acceleration is NORMAL for the car.

It isn't an issue, you just have to work around it because you the driver are less important than the car. So drive it in SD so that it doesn't get you hit when turning on an unprotected left or trying to merge into traffic or trying to avoid an accident. The stopping short while heading towards a stoplight or stop sign is also normal. The surge in acceleration is normal. It is all normal. It is designed to be this way.

Feel stupid yet?

:lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • hfigueroahfigueroa Member Posts: 1
    Hello there, I have been reading countless posts all over the place in regards to the X3 acceleration problem. I ready to purchase a CPO '06 for my wife from a local dealer. I test drove an '06 in another dealer and did not feel anything strange. Now just yesterday test two more '06s and did not notice anything as well. Is this problem related to the '07 and up X3s? is the '06 model not included in this mess. I know BMW changed the engine and trasmission on the '07. I am very confused and concerned to put my wife and kids on this car, even if she loves the car.

Your comments are greatly appreciated
  • sansnilsansnil Member Posts: 7
    The problems started with the 2007 X3's, the 2006 ones are fine. My wife had a 2006 X3 that was terrific, quick, smooth steady power and acceleration. You could barely feel the automatic transmission shifting. The 2007 models on...not so much.
    The X3's before 2007 had the 5-speed automatic transmission.
    The X3's after 2007 have the 6-speed automatic transmission.

The gripes are around the 6-speed AT. I do not know about the 5-speed AT.

If you drive with a lead foot or spend your time mostly on the highways, you may not feel anything. It never hurts to see if you can take an extended test drive and see if you can feel any odd behavior at low speeds. Some say that a rolling stop - not stopping completely at a stop sign - can cause the hesitation.

I would take it for a drive down some hills and see if you feel any 'binding' or hard pull back from the engine brake or the transmission downshifting hard. Again, this seems to be more of an issue at lower speeds. This is also more pronounced in SD mode.

There were supposedly changes to the ride in 2005 and then again in 2007 but if you do not feel that the ride is harsh or bouncy then it won't bother you. You should also check the bolts under the seat for rust just in case the car developed a leak in the pano roof. Other problems that may or may not occur are radio reception while the back defroster is on and maybe some damage to interior or exterior that are not always noted even in a CPO.

I would also take a hard look at the suspension and listen for any creakiness or clunking sounds.

Since you have several to choose from, it pays to be picky-picky-picky and to drive a hard bargain.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.