Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• gberkstressergberkstresser Member Posts: 6
    I picked up my Tacoma last week. It is perfect. No lean and rides perfectly. Although the dealer did try to get me to buy a $414 muffler which was not needed. I got the truck inspected the next day. But, overall my truck is back and should provide additional years of service. Aside from the frame, I have not had a single problem.
    I did write Toyota USA president a letter,but, to date. I have not received a reply.
  • duckbusterduckbuster Member Posts: 1
    After getting my 02 Tacoma back in August the new frame is bent. Two body shops verified the bent frame. The dealership still giving me the run around on getting a second new frame.
    I have lost all respect for the toyota brand.
  • iewiiiiewiii Member Posts: 3
  • palerider5palerider5 Member Posts: 2
    I dropped off my 2001 Tacoma at Toyota of Runnemede for frame inspection on Friday morning, December 18. I was told the inspection and application of the corrosion-resistant treatment would be a 2 day service.

I asked about a loaner and was told that if I had full coverage on my truck, they would be able to provide a loaner at no charge, so far so good.

I got a call at approximately 4 PM from the service agent telling me to go ahead and hold on to the loaner as my truck had perforations in the frame. I was surprised...my truck is in very good to excellent condition. He informed me that they would be submitting pictures of my truck's frame to Toyota along with my proof of ownership, VIN and other pertinent information.

I asked the service agent what the next course of action was. He told me that once they submitted all my information to Toyota they would wait for authorization to replace the frame. I expressed concern but was told this was a good thing, the truck would be like new and they should have authorization by Wednesday the 22nd.

I began doing research online and stumbled upon this forum...lots of good information. I read every post on all 104 pages, that should give you some indication of my level of concern. I now feel better informed and what I can (should) expect from my dealer...thanks to all of you.

Well today is the 22nd and I did not hear from the service agent at Toyota of Runnemede. I am off on Friday (Christmas Eve), I intend to pay them a visit and hopefully get some more information...I'll keep you posted.
  • ejsegravejsegrav Member Posts: 5
    Good luck. I have a 2001 Prerunner with 98,000 miles that they swapped out the frame back in May and it took 2 weeks once they received the frame to install. While it is true that now I have a new frame along with all the brake lines, bolts and other hardware I am beginning to feel other problems may be lurking. My trans stated slipping a couple months back and now my check engine light just went on. I am not a happy camper at this point. I wish they would have taken the money it was going to cost to swap the frame (that can't be cheap), give me a loaner for 2 weeks, pay me blue book value and just give me a good deal on a new truck. Now I have a 10 year old truck that, I feel, is starting to fall apart. My feelings for Toyota have definately soured.
  • 01tacowr01tacowr Member Posts: 4
    I'm with you...my 01 Tacoma had the frame replaced back in the summer. They had it for 1 month in which they placed me in a loaner. My truck had 112k miles and I would had preferred cash or a nice deal on a Tacoma. Toyota never approached me with either option. I didn't feel too good about everything. I sold the truck and I don't miss it at all. Not sure if I would buy another Tacoma, I would hate to go through this all over again.
  • ratb33ratb33 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    Unfortunately, when this recall first took place the dealer I went to to check out my 1995 4WD Tacoma told me it was a lifetime warranty or there was no deadline and that is the way I took it. I just recently was about to purchase new tires and thought I would get my frame checked just in case. Sure enough at the right rear spring shackle there was complete deteriation. I then went to a different local Toyota dealer to tell them about the problem and this is where I found out my truck had 15 years for the first driver. That dealer did a check and I expired last July/August. I sent a complaint into Toyota and they promptly answered me, but basically threw it on the original dealer who said "lifetime warranty" or "no deadline." So, now I'm debating on fighting this as I've been told the truck is useless. Toyota doesn't want to take responsibility and I have free attorneys at my disposal through my work. I moved so frequently, that if they even tried to send me a letter about the recall it probably went to an old address. Makes me sick, because I always said that I would always own a Toyota truck, but now I doubt that I do after this. It's not like the frame just started rusting, it propably would not have passed an inspection 2 years ago...
  • barberjdbarberjd Member Posts: 2
    I own a 04 tacoma sr5 trd ext cab. I take very good care of my vehicles and I have always been impressed with Toyota's reliability, durability, and gas economy. I heard about the frame issues and looked over my frame every oil change. During last fall (oct '10) I was looking the frame over and noticed around my leaf spring brackets that rust was showing. Then all along my welds on the frame. So I immediately took it to the Toyota Dealer (Andy's Toyota, Portsmouth, Ohio). They looked it over and said, it was the best frame they had seen. All they wanted to do was some prevenative maintenance. So they gave me a corolla loaner and a 5 days later I had a repainted and treated frame. They sprayed some type of gell inside of the frame and sent me on my way. It's now winter (feb '11) and the paint is peeling off in certain places. I have not seen any rust yet but I'm keeping a close eye.
    Has anyone got a buy back on a 04 Tacoma?
    What are my options from here?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Because the frame for your truck is still in production as a repair/replacement component, you will not get a buy-back offer. Once your truck develops full rust perforation (aka, a hole) in the frame, your truck will be eligible for frame replacement.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • folez26folez26 Member Posts: 1
    After a runaround from a dealership in Virgina, and move across the country to Colorado, finally getting a new frame installed on my 02 Tacoma this week. To my surprise, I get a call this morning telling me I'm looking at $850 worth of parts which are rusted to the old frame and can't be moved over, and not covered in the grab bag of what Toyota is offers along with the new frame. Free frame replacement my butt! Knew there was going to be a catch in here somewhere...

Anyone here run into the same problem and been able to convince Toyota to pay for parts that wouldn't have had to have been replaced had the frame-swap never had to have been done?

An added nice touch to this story is that the dealership I'm at now (Colorado) showed me that there was no perforation on my frame until a guy with a hammer at the first dealership (in Virginia) whacked a hole in it in checking for perforation! The truck has run great its whole life (~180 K), but this fiasco has soured me on Toyota and its ability to cohesively manage a recall.
  • kps2kps2 Member Posts: 2
    Same deal for me on an 02 Tacoma frame I had replaced in 2009. I had abotu $700 worth of items I had to pay for that weren't covered. I got no where with them. I still have my truck as a second vehicle, but I've moved on from Toyota. Bought a land rover. Yeah..I know about Land Rovers....but at least Land Rover doesn't claim to be top quality!
  • 01tacowr01tacowr Member Posts: 4
    I had the same issue, Toyota dealer wanted me to pay over $800 in parts. I was able to pay only half after calling Toyota Corp. They were willing to help in covering the remaining balance. After getting my frame replaced, I decided to sell the truck after 6 months.
  • tcincytcincy Member Posts: 28
    If anything is completely rusted through, rendering the Toyota useless, and they give you no assistance, then I would use the help of a free attorney at work.
    They've "gone the distance" for thousands of owners who had negligible rust on the frame, and tens or hundreds of thousands of owners who have the acceleration recall done.

"Tacoma told me it was a lifetime warranty or there was no deadline and that is the way I took it.

If they aren't willing to follow up on what they told you then its just another case of "Talk is cheap" and "Actions speak louder than words".
  • palerider5palerider5 Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to provide the final update on my vehicle, 2001 Tacoma 4X4 extended cab.

I received a call on Wednesday, February 9th from the Service Manager at Toyota of Runnemede telling me that my frame was in and the work would begin the next day.

I went online that night to shop for replacement shocks and struts to go along with the new leaf springs and lower control arms that Toyota was supplying with the new frame. I settled on a set of the KYB gas-adjust monotubes from Tire Rack at cost of $213 for the set.

Shocks arrived Feb 11, Friday morning, I delivered them to the dealer that afternoon. I was told it would take 24 hours to do the swap but I was still shocked to see the mechanic had about half the work completed.

Mechanic recommended I replace my drive belts because of dry rot, the gas tank strap locking pin because of rust and the O2 sensor gasket and bolts also because of rust. I approved the additional parts and labor which came to $315.21.

The truck was ready for pick up on Monday, February 14. I picked it up the next day. I must say that I am very pleased with the result. The truck is tight, doesn't make the crashing sounds over bumps that it used to and also handles 100% better than before. My total cash outlay was a little over $528 and I feel that it was money well spent. All the items replaced that were not included in the frame replacement were going to need replacing anyway, so I have trouble understanding other posts in this forum complaining about the additional costs over the frame replacement.

I wish you all the best of luck with your frame swap and hope you are as pleased with the end result as I am. My truck has 113,000 miles on it now and I feel like I will hold onto it for an additional 113,000.

Peace
  • gld375gld375 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Tacoma just failed the frame inspection and i was told Toyota is replacing these as well. Has anyone recently had a 2000 done?
  • plzen28plzen28 Member Posts: 1
    hi, dropped my 01 Tacoma at dealer service in NJ, waiting for Toyota answer how they want to deal with this, have the same problem with rusted frame around the rear leaf spring mount, the mount is already broken off the frame, my question is, they checked my VIN and it's not on the list for recall, I'm i going to get the new frame too? is everyone hear with the Tacoma on the recall list? they acting like there is nothing they can do for me without Toyota's decision. please advice
  • naptownbluenaptownblue Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Glad I stumbled across this info - I never received a letter from Toyota. I took it to the dealer today, my VIN matches the recall range, they told me to bring it back tomorrow and they'll set me up with a rental and get the buy-back process going. Check out these pics - '99 Tacoma driven on the salty streets of Indy for the past 13 years:

Based on KBB "excellent" condition and the 1.5x payback, I'm looking at 10-11k for this 'ole Tacoma I've been driving since 1998. Very impressed with Toyota!
  • framerotframerot Member Posts: 4
    My 03 was sprayed last summer when it passed the Hammer Test. Just looked under it and the stuff is falling off in places that had heavy rust. Anyone else seeing this? Will get a pic up as soon as I can.
    edited April 2011
    Pic taken today and was applied 6 months ago

link title
    Can someone tell me how to post pics on here, seem to be having trouble????
    After you write your message in the "Post a Message" box, you'll see the Photo Upload area underneath it. Click the first Browse button, locate the photo on your computer, and click "Open" or "OK" in that dialog box. Then click "Post My Message". The one specification that we have is that the picture you attach be no wider than 640 pixels. or it will cause the text on the page to stretch and not be readable.

The alternate way (if you have a lot of pictures, or an oversize picture) is to upload it to a photo-sharing site like Photobucket or Flickr and copy the link for that photo in your message.

• 7jupiter77jupiter7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Taco and Toyota dealership hammered the frame last week. They did not offer to repair but they mentioned the buyback option. I am retired and cannot afford to buy a new truck and was hoping this would last until. Can Toyota 'repair' the frame?
  • 7jupiter77jupiter7 Member Posts: 2
    Not yet but they hammered it and offered a buy back. I was hoping this truck would take me to eternity as I am retired and cannot buy another vehicle.

I am trying to determine my alternatives - sell to Toyota and get a bike or what?
    The reason your truck is under buyback is because the frames for your year are no longer made. The 2001-2004 frames are still available from the supplier, thus those years get the frame replacement.

My 03. 6 months after the hammer test and the frame sprayed:

• bob_g60bob_g60 Member Posts: 1
    Took my 2003 Tacoma into Bairel Toyota in Cranberry Township, PA for a recall. I was told I could not have the truck back and the entire frame had to be replaced which would take two months. The are giving me a rental. The next day I inquired about a new vehicle. I'm a ten year plus customer with three vehicle purchases at this dealership. I wanted to trade for the exact make, model, and color. No big deal. They must have figured me to be a desperate old illiterate with no internet savy because they offered me a new vehicle $3000 over MSRP and gave me $3000 less the the trade in vaue on my truck. I didn't even discuss the numbers. I stood up and walked out and told them I'd be back in two months to pick my vehicle up. Bye, bye, Bairel.
  • keystoneupkeystoneup Member Posts: 1
    ...it's a sad day! The local dealer said it failed and they will be contacting the corporate people to look at it and make the decision on whether to repair or do the buy back. I'm wondering if anyone with the older models has had the frame replacement done, or was that just the 2001-2004 models??

Also, I have the bulletin POL08-03 that was sent to the dealers in hand. It states I should be offered a loaner, but my dealership is telling me, 'come in get it, you can drive it until the regional people call you, we won't give you a loaner. In fact the bulletin states customers should be encouraged to leave the vehicle at the dealership and if they take it they should sign the work order "Customer advised eligible for complimentary loaner vehicle per CSP. Customer elected to remain in own vehicle." I imagine this is to absolve them of any liability, so I am perplexed as to why my local dealer will not give me a loaner? Has anyone else run in to this? Thanks for any help!
  • redtrukredtruk Member Posts: 2
    In the waiting room, they showed me a photo of one of the holes in the frame of my 2001 & strongly advised me to take the loaner. Maybe there are degrees of damage, some being dangerous & others needing fixing, but aren't to the level of being unsafe. I also think different dealerships operate differently. I had subsequent problems related to the frame replacement, which they resolved (on my dime!), but would not give me a loaner at that time, saying they had only a few vehicles for that purpose.

They also told me I needed a new cat, which I was suspicious about & did not replace. I'm glad I didn't, I got through inspection fine & have had no problems. Saved myself quite a few bucks.
  • mysportmysport Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2011
    I had the spray on done, thinking it's starting to wear off already. Probably a ploy to keep owners at bay because they can't afford to replace all frames or buy us out. Beware the upsell game too.... Mine is almost 10 yrs old now, doesn't really owe me anything at this point.

Anyone have the rear chrome bumper rust out? Is it covered by any of this?
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Having my 2004 reframed in a couple of weeks. My dealer ordered my frame and said it would take two weeks to come in and two days to complete the job. Took it in for just an inspection and spray job, but they said they found two holes in the frame near the gas tank.
  • toyotafamily5toyotafamily5 Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    Our 97 Tacoma was recently inspected frame rot and failed.We had a call with an offer which we plan on taking.
    Our problem is they are asking for a title.We bought the truck in feb 08 and a title was not required to register in our state because it was over 10 years old.So,we never received a title.The truck is registered and we have a bill of sale
    Has anyone else run into this issue?
    Were hoping we don't get held up on waiting for a title search
    Thanks for any help
    And that is not an acceptable reason for Toyota ? ? ?
    edited May 2011
    Toyota needs a title because the truck will be destroyed and the VIN must be reassigned as such. Without the title and reassignment, the VIN remains "active" and a car thief could reuse the VIN on a stolen vehicle.

You should be able to get a title from your state's motor vehicle department if you show the registration and bill of sale.

• bears34bears34 Member Posts: 1
    First of all, thanks to everyone who posted on this issue. I found a lot of really helpful information. I have a 2000 XtraCab Prerunner. I received the letter regarding the rust perforation warranty a few weeks ago and had no idea this buyback was going on. I actually looked at the frame and realized it was going to be a buyback based on a baseball size hole! Took it to the dealer on Monday and they confirmed it was a buyback and said toyota would be contacting me to start the buyback process. They set me up with a rental (Kia Soul- was hoping for a truck but oh well). I was just wondering how long it's taking toyota to contact owners. It's been about a week and haven't heard anything yet. Just wondering if this is normal?
  • epenaepena Member Posts: 10
    I purchased my 03 Tacoma in New England last year, driving it home to Fla. At the time I was unaware of the frame issue, and stumbled onto this forum by chance...it ended up saving my $%#!! The truck has 160K miles, but aside from the frame issue is otherwise perfect. In September I took the truck in to West Kendall Toyota, in Miami, for an inspection. The body shop manager advised that he was aware of the campaign & that his shop had done a prior frame swap. He took pics, obtained my documentation, and advised he would stay in touch. After not hearing anymore from him, I went back a month or so later, & he tells me something to the effect that he never heard back from his district manager...or something to that effect. He tells me that he will again submit the request thru his channels, & that he would be in contact. This happens to be a very busy body shop, & I got the impression that they were not too eager to take on this job.
    I became tied up with other stuff, & it wasn't until recently that I crawled underneath the truck and noticed several spots on the frame perforated by rust. I decided to call another dealership, this time Toyota Of South Fla, in Doral. An appointment was scheduled, an this time everything went smoothly. The service rep told me that he would be surprised if Toyota did not offer me a buyback, as this was an expensive repair. I told him that from everything I had read on this forum, the deciding factor seems to be wether or not the replacement frame for the particular model year is still in production. Sure enough, 9 days after the initial inspection, he called me today to advise that the repair was approved, & he is ordering the parts. When the parts come in, I'll drop the truck off, & I'll update the post as to how the repair turns out.
    I hope they're going to replace rather than repair your Tacoma's frame; I guess that's what you meant? I have a 2004 that I'm waiting for the frame to come in for. It's been two weeks already and I'm anxious to see how it turns out. My 2004 Tacoma has 112,000 miles on it and just a small perferation above the gas tank area. Well, we'll go through this together and compare notes; I'll keep my post up to date also.
    (Add'l info. to post # 1069) like I said in my prior posting, my repair has been approved, & the dealer is waiting for the replacement frame & associated parts to come in. What prompted me to put this project on the fast track, & contact the dealer is this:
    In the last month or so, I've noticed a smell of gasoline when standing outside the truck, towards the rear, whenever I get a fill up. This only happens when the tank is full, and goes away completely below 3/4 full. There is no fuel leakage that I can detect, either on the ground, or any dampness or signs of a leakage underneath on the undercarriage, the sides & bottom of the fuel tank, the fill cap area, & pipe leading down to the fuel tank. My guess is that there is some corossion somewhere on top of the tank, that is out of sight, & allowing fuel vapors to escape. I know the fuel tank itself is not on the list of parts that the dealer is replacing, although I understand some parts related to the tank are. The dealer advised that the fuel tank is drained & removed during the swap out process...I guess we'll figure out the problem then. In the mean time I'm getting around the problem by making sure the tank is never more than 1/2 full. I'm wondering if any posters on this forum have dealt with a similar problem.
    terceltom...it's definately a complete frame replacement. I'm wondering if you've experienced a problem with gas fumes on the exterior of your truck...ref. my post # 1071 above. Thanks.
    No, I haven't had any gas fumes. In fact, I didn't even know I had frame perforation near my gas tank until they told me. I got my call yesterday that my frame came in. It took just about two weeks from time of order. My appointment for the re-framing is Tuesday June 7th. They told me to expect my truck back in two days. I wanted them to replace the water pump and timing belt when they had it torn apart but they told me I wouldn't save anything on labor. I'm going to have someone else replace the pump and belt when I get the truck back. Still driving on the original water pump and timing belt yet, (113,000 miles).
    Just heard from the dealer today, all the parts are in and I'm scheduled to take the truck in on June 6th for the swap out. New wrinkle...dealer says that they cannot cover the rental. I asked the service rep to please check with the district office / administrator, as just about every posting here, everyone indicates that the dealer provided a rental.

terceltom, wow, 2 days to do the job? Where did you go...the NASCAR pit crew for frame swap outs? My dealer is telling me one week, and that seems a little fast to me.
    edited May 2011
    No, not NASCAR, just a real good Toyota dealership in my area. They're the oldest Toyota Dealership in the USA. They have two techs. that were sent to Toyota school for the frame swap, plus I'm the 14th frame swap they're doing, so they're both educated and experienced. It's supposed to be a 60 man hr. job but they said they'd have it done in 32 man hrs.
  • jtimmjtimm Member Posts: 1
    I got a letter from Toyota about 3 weeks ago. Called the closest dealer and set up the inspection. Got my loaner and drove 60 miles home. Received a call right away that my Tacoma failed the inspection and deemed unsafe to drive.the dealer entered the info into the buyback program. Received a call a couple days later from Vanessa at Toyota saying my truck in inelligible as it has a salvage title? Then a phone call from the toyota dealer that says to return the loaner immediately or they will start to charge me for it! They tell me my frame is unsafe and then tell me to come on back and drive it home 60 miles! The salvage title is from a front end collision which was repaired and inspected by a liscensed state inspector and deemed safe for the road. The failed (badly rusted) part of the truck frame is in the rear of the frame and has nothing to do with the front end!The front part of the frame is actually still got paint on it, while the rear part of the frame is badly rusted. Why would Toyota send me this letter to find out my truck is unsafe and then tell me to drive it? Does this have lawsuit written all over it?
    Well, I'm not a lawyer but it certainly does seem like you have a case to me. Sounds like Toyota feels legally they are not responsible for a salvaged truck/car. But with the circumstances surrounding your truck and with the rust perforation no where near where the accident damage was, I would definitely start the appeal process with Toyota or even contact a lawyer. After all your not talking a small amount of money here. Depending on if your truck is a "99" or older or even a "01" to "04" it's thousands of dollars of cash, a new frame or even your life, at stake.
    Driving a vehicle with a salvage title is generally considered "at your own risk" even if it's functional.

The reason Toyota won't handle this is because they are going to take ownership of the vehicle and salvage it themselves (the truck will be destroyed). If they didn't require a clean title, there would be no stopping people from buying junk Tacomas and restoring them just enough to be drivable, then bringing them in for buybacks. Toyota has a similar clause for 1999-and-older trucks that were purchased after the program was announced - this prevents people from buying a Tacoma from an unknowing owner for a cheap price, then "flipping" it in a buyback for a huge profit.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    jtimm...do a Google search for TOYOTA WARRANTY SERVICE BULLETIN POL 08-03 (enter it just like that in your search field) It's the policy bulletin that toyota sent out to their dealers back in 2008, explaining the qualifications under this program. I think it's like a 6 page pdf. On the 1st page, they list the vehicles that are excluded...if I recall, salvaged vehicles are listed. however, you have unique circumstances, so who knows...good luck.
    Wow! Two months to replace the frame, my dealer told me they would have mine back to me in two to three days after frame replacement.
    Terceltom...wow, sounds like you have a knowledgeable service dept. doing the work...which for a job this extensive, is paramount...they know what they're doing. In my case, not too much road salt used on the roads in south fla, so i'm guessing this type of work is rarely seen. That's my major concern with all of this...I'll get the truck back & have to deal with a bunch of bugs, or something else will come up during the repair that will end up costing me $$.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any suggestions as to what parts one would consider replacing that are NOT covered by toyota?? Figure it would make sense since pretty much the entire truck is being dimantled. I'm thinking the shock abs, maybe the brakes, the CO2 rear sensor (mine is rusted away, causing an eternal "check engine" light.
    BTW..here's alink to a neat video taken at a dealer, of the entire swap out process. pretty amazing. SCROLL DOWN TO THE 3rd VIDEO.

http://www.toyotaframerust.com/
    Yea, I know why you feel concerned. Mine is going in next week and I'm just as concened. The tech. that's going to do the work assures me it's gonna be even better then it was before the replacement. Just in case it's not, I'm already resigned to the fact that I'm going to sell it if I'm not satisfied with it. I'm going to get the timing belt done at the same time. 128,000 miles and still on the original timing belt.

By the way, I think you'll like this actual video of a Tacoma frame replacement also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIcvUhAIjEs
    My 2004 Tacoma is reframed. Only took the dealer 3 days from start to finish. They told me it would take two days, but I'm not complaining. Didn't pick it up yet but I did go over to see it. It looks great, like a new truck underneath. I measure it all around to make sure the cab and bed are all sitting even, because some have said that when they get their trucks back after a reframe they're higher on one side then the other. Mine measured perfectly. The real test will be in the test drive before I sign-off on the job. I'll keep you posted.
    edited June 2011
    Okay so I picked up my 2004 Tacoma after the re frame and everything seemed very good mechanically. I only noticed two things, one the shift lever stays lit in "R" for reverse even thought it's working correctly and my left side dash lights are dimmer then before. What I didn't expect was a laundry list of technician notes on items I didn't know were problematic with the truck, I though it ran and worked just fine.

1) Drifts right - don't notice this
    2) vibration in drive line - don't notice this
    3) front brake squeal - don't hear this
    4) rough idle - seems smooth to me
    5) transmission or transfer case leak - don't see a one drop of fluid
    6) muffler weak - sounds just fine, quiet
    7) wires corroded on 4 wheel drive switch - said he don't how my 4 wheel drive is working cause the wires are corroded totally off
    8) A.C. low on charge - works great for me

So what's up with them? Are any of these detrimental requiring immediate servicing?