Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Electrical Problems

Comments

• pre1pre1 Member Posts: 1
    On my newly purchased 2008 Colorado the IPC will not dim with the dimming control knob. After more than a few discussions with the dealer sales, service and management I was told that this is "Normal Operation" and shown GM bulletin #PIT4640 that discusses this problem. To briefly state the bulletin's description of operation and problem here are two key sentences that sums it up: "Some customers may comment that their IPC back lighting may not dim with the dimming control knob" and "When the Ambient light sensor determines it is dusk/dark outside, the IPC will then dim in conjunction with the rest of the backlighting components regardless of the headlight switch position".

The bulletin's recommendations/instructions are "Normal operation. No repairs are recommended for this concern." "..... the vehicle is operating as designed".

This may be how it was designed but this is NOT the proper/normal operation as detailed in the operation description quoted above. I want my IPC to dim as they are supposed to and they are telling me that they can't do anything about it because this is the way it was designed.

My question: Has anyone observed this problem on their Colorado or Canyon and have a solution?????
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Cover up the light sensor and then the truck will think it is night time and work as you ask. You may also have to turn off the automatic headlights so they aren't on all the time. I just don't see the big deal. They sure aren't bright enough to bother you during the day anyways.
  • captainedcaptained Member Posts: 6
    I HAVE AN 04 COLORADO. I HAVE REPLACED THE FAN RESISTOR 3 TIMES AND THE PLUG TWICE. ALTHOUGH IT IS NOT HARD TO DO YOURSELF IT IS GOOD MONEY SPENT AND NOTHING SHORT OF POOR DESIGN HAS GM DONE ANYTHING TO COME UP WITH A FIX> I UNDERSTAND FROM A GM CERTIFIED REPAIRMAN THAT THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH MANY OF THE NEWER GM TRUCKS...
    GM STEP UP AND FIX THE PROBLEM.
  • woody106woody106 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having an issue with the wipers in my 08 Canyon. Periodically, the wipers will come on by themselves and make one complete pass across windshield and return to rest. This happens maybe once every two weeks or so. I haven't noticed any other electrical issues.

Anyone else experiencing this? If so, have you identifed the cause and/or fix?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    One would have to suspect the wiper switch since it replicates what you get when you accidentally hit the arm once.
  • flacondoflacondo Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado. During the Winter, after sliding across the seat and touching the driver's door handle, I received a strong static electricity shock. When this happened, all power door locks and driver's power window stopped working. After doing an internet search, I discovered this problem can sometimes happen when activating the power door locks and power windows at the same time, which I did NOT do. This information also said to just wait and they would start working again. This sounded very weird to me, but, sure enough after a few hours, they starting working, again. Please explain to me what happened and how to prevent this in the future. Surely, I won't have to deal with this all Winter. Thanks for your help.
    My 04 Colorado currently has the exact same problem with power door locks and driver's window not working. It started when the weather turned cold. After truck sits in the sun for awhile, everything works again. Then, overnight, it stops working. I called my Chevrolet dealer and they said the same thing as yours. "Never hear of the problem and bring it in." My guess is the Master Power Door Locks/Power Window Switch becomes faulty after 3 or 4 years of use. Probably some poor-quality ones were installed, but Chevrolet won't admit it and of course it's out of warranty. Have you found a solution to your problem?
  • snaproll1snaproll1 Member Posts: 88
    It's most probably the battery. That's what it was on mine, AFTER they charged me for the BCM which they said would fix the problem. After it didn't fix the problem they said the BCM was "bad anyway" then finally figured out it was the battery. Of course while they were testing the battery, charging and discharging it, torturing the electrical system on the truck, the blower resister fried the next day. "Hmmm, just coincidence" and another $130 bucks.

The bottom line is they were good enough to replace a fuse bloc that had a service bulletin on it for no charge, what a great company... and my fuse block had scorch marks. The dealer agreed that in most probability the bad fuse block fried the BCM and battery. The dealer went to bat trying to get Chevy to cover it. The rep said no way. The whole fiasco including all the other electrical problems the truck has had have cost about $800 in bills.

I'm never buying another GM product and once they go bankrupt, I'll not have to worry about it. From the looks of it, they're about there.
    The BATTERY ???????? Were you having any problems with your battery? Mine appears to be perfect. I haven't had ANY start or other electrical issues. Testing with a volt meter shows 12.5 volts. Also, throughout the warmer months.......Spring and Summer.........I had NO issues with the power door locks or windows. Did the dealer mess with your electrical system BEFORE the new master switch was installed?

Last night, I removed the master switch from the truck and brought it inside the house, where it's warm. I re-installed it this morning. It works perfect. In a little while, after sitting in the cold, I am sure it will stop working. I will let you know.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I doubt they will ever go bankrupt, but even if they did they would still be in business but just wouldn't have to pay some bills.

A lot of auto makers are struggling to survive. The auto industry is saturated with too many companies, competition. I say we kick the Japanese back to Japan.
    Misengineered or not, if they would have stood by their product and eaten an $800 dollar bill, it most probably would have meant future $30K+ sales. Now they can count on zero future sales from me. Repairs worth $800 bucks today isn't going to keep the doors open tomorrow. Maybe others feel the same and that's why their in the world of hurt they're in.

Perhaps the Japanese have figured out this simple principle, don't be penny wise and dollar foolish. Don't know, never owned a Japanese vehicle. Hopefully Ford will still be doing well the next time I need a new vehicle, and perhaps by that time, Chevy will be a footnote in history like Packard and Studebaker. They are well on their way. There must be a reason.
  • linkfeeneylinkfeeney Member Posts: 58
    man,
    you need competition, keeps prices low. Lets just say, if GM makes crappy car for america, and constanly having problems and the consumers has to keep spending money on it. Then If you go with a German or Japanese which has no problems or less problems and their vehicles built here... you wouldn't buy it?? I work hard for my money, I like spend a vehicle that has less problems! I was planning to buy a chevy, but they have many problems! Misfire, wiring, and no value. So I went and got a tacoma!! Right now Tacoma has dominate the Ranger and Colorado like SO far ahead. There's a reason for that... because it was built RIGHT! granted there are some tacomas will have issue, far less than gm thou... I come here and read forum on what's happening, i feel bad for you guys... *sigh*
  • brokenallbrokenall Member Posts: 9
    Get on toyota site then you see toyota as problem , nissan as problem and all other
    keep your money in North america is a good way your keep community alive
    if you son have a choice to have a job on GM site or didn't work at all
    I got a 2004 canyon 4x4 Z71 (85000Miles)with problem , air bag light,catalityc converter,
    speaker,everything was solved at gm dealer with no cost,
    2005 Chevrolet Cobalt with (55000) my daughter , soon roof problem,power sterring problem solved at no cost
    my son as 2002 Chevy S10 with 132K and 0 $ spend on is truck
    no body at home Know someone you working at GM
    My wife as 2008 VW jetta with 3500 miles on it and was problem with is cluster
    sure was repair for free(3500miles on it)
    keep in mind
    the dollar spend in North America Stay in North America
    I got a 2004 canyon 4x4 Z71 (85000Miles)with problem , air bag light,catalityc converter,
    speaker,everything was solved at gm dealer with no cost????

at NO COST???

that's insane.. the truck is only 4 yrs old and u have a catalitic converter issue??? that thing is CRAZY expensive!!!! I had a pathfinder that never had that problem!!! and it was a 96
    My next door neighbor this past spring had to have the cad. convertor replaced on his less than 6 month old brand new Camry. Point being, things happen on all products. These are made/built by people and I for one understand that. Yes I am a loyal GM buyer and have had problems with a few of my vehicles from them but not one has NOT been repaired properly. That is the key, how the manufacturer takes care of you. I had a Chevy Tracker that needed $1600 worth of tranny fixes due to my lack of use and storing it for 2 winters outdoors with a cover over it in northern Mi. weather. Bottom line rust formed on the shifter which went into the top of the tranny and needed to be pulled along with the transfer case in order to put in about $300 in parts. 18 months out of warranty and I called GM telling them what was up, how I always bought GM's and if they checked the records all maintanance was done on time or before. Well when I got my $1600 bill GM had picked up all but $360. Tell me how many of those foreign car companies would have done that. I'll stick with american and another reason to is I can go to about any town in the US and there will be a GM dealer to take care of me but may have to drive hundreds of miles to find a Toyota or other Foreign dealer.
    the german dealers u might have problem finding about the Honda and Toyota is pretty much everywhere. then again i live in NJ, I'm in the mecca of all of everything. We have 3000 people per sq mile. But anyway, its a shame that you spend so much on a truck and comes with so many problems, I would be super pissed cause i need the vechicle to work. Every company has problems, it just seems gm has more... but then again what do i know, I dont deal with statistics.
    well, my dad had a friend had tranny fix for with within 4 yrs, Honda dealer said this should not happen and they fixed it FREE. I love gm only the Vette thou :D.. well just that money do not grow on tree. Spend it wisely and wish ourselve luck that it hopes it does not come with any problems!
    As long as you don't leave back east you're ok but get out west where towns can be 100 miles apart and your local BMW dealer may be many hundreds of miles from you.
  • brokenallbrokenall Member Posts: 9
    Yes 0 Dollars
    i just ask the technical advisor why Gm knows the have a problem with the wiring
    and the didn't solve the problem, two days later a GM technician call me and give me a rendez vous at my gmc dealer
    and the solve the problem for Free
    he ask me the serial number of the S10 of my son and the check if all recall was made im 52 years old and i always have cars and truck (3 at the time)
    i try to made oil ghange by myself
    i got all kind fo car and truck in my last 36 Years, Ford (T bird,Stang crown victoria F150 Maverick) GM(Camaro Shilouette cobalt S 10 silverado canyon)
    Chrysler (Caravan ,W250 colts sebring )Volks (Jetta (2) rabbit)Nissan z 350 , Infinity G35X ,Toyota (corolla tundra)Bmw (323 i) Jeep CJ7 and Cherooke
    the all have problem
    the only car was G35X i only put oil change on this car for 2 years/48000 miles
    I pay 65000$ for my G35x and the service was cheap
    and the best service was Ford and GM

have a nice Day,Jean
  • gthfishgthfish Member Posts: 8
    I recently changed my engine oil. Now do I have to reset the oil monitor system to prevent the maint. light from turning on in the future. If yes, how do I do this.
    Thanks Gary
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Catalytic converters have a government warranty for pollution control for 10-years I believe.
  • dtower77dtower77 Member Posts: 5
    Hey Pete Have you resolved the problem with the radio staying on after removing the key and shutting the door. I have a 05 Canyon extended cab that does the same thing. I have to open the passengers side to make sure the radio goes off.
    This just started about a week ago. I even changed the door switch with the passenger one and it still does it and the radio will still go off with the passenger door is opened. email me if you can to the below noted if you had a solution to it.\
    thanks

Dave

dtower77@telusplanet.net
  • ECR223ECR223 Member Posts: 10
    I have an 04' Canyon. Same scenario as the others, driver side window, locks, and fob not working. I heated the truck up, and magically it did start working again, but now every time I unlock the truck with the fob it honks 3 times. I already checked the DIC and shut all the lights and horn off when I hit the button, but it still does it... It's not that big of a deal, but I'm sure my neighbor would appreciate my horn not honking at 4 a.m. when I leave for work...So, any ideas?
  • slr777slr777 Member Posts: 7
    SAME problem 06 colorado crew cab. Door locks do not work from switch or key fob and drivers side window does not work.
    My problem started after I had the battery disconnected to tie in wires for a amp.
    Other sites have suggested disconnect the battery and let it sit for 20-30 minutes then connect battery, Some are saying that the BCM is going into safe mode. Some have suggested also that the battery is going bad? you get a irregular voltage and puts the BCM into safe mode.
    I work nights and will hook battery back up in about 2 hours will let you know what happens with mine.
    Well, I was all through this last summer. Check to see if the service bulletin has been done on your fuse block. Mine was burned, (05 Colorado). The dealer first thought it was the BCM, then they said a few hundred dollars later it was just the battery. I suspect because of some other electrical problems that the shorted fuse block took out the battery and BCM. I'd suggest changing the battery first before they try to sell you on a bad BCM. But first check the fuse block service bulletin.

I just got done with the head replacement. Two weeks. Luckily it was still covered under the 100K warrantee.
    The disconnect battery to try and reset was a no GO did not work on mine.
    I bought this truck used have to see about any service bulletins.

My battery checks out good I did wire in a amp but its straight forward I did not short anything out.

I think I read somewhere??? two fuses on power door locks??? they may have meant window and door locks?

Those two fuses are good and the other 3 windows work this is making me crazy.
  • slumpcone2001slumpcone2001 Member Posts: 4
    Need replacement battery for 2007 chevy colorado LS 2wd 3.7L
    I am finding this to be much more difficult then past battery purchases. Interstate quoted 163. Sears said dealer only. Dealer 135. Does anyone know where I can get a battery good quality at a fair price.
  • mrwebmanmrwebman Member Posts: 15
    I got mine at the local advance auto store. They check your battery and install the new one for free. It was sort of expensive I thought but not as expensive as you got quoted. I paid $95 I think it was...

Cheers.
  • slumpcone2001slumpcone2001 Member Posts: 4
    Murrays auto had one that way in that price range. I would rather step up and pay the addional cost. I see a lot of posts that say go with optima and some say that the platinum diehard is better. except sears sais they dont have one.
    I work construction and my battery does take a beating. I hope that is why the factory one is dying after only 1.5 years.

thanks for the reply
  • cathypogocathypogo Member Posts: 2
    2004 Chevy Colorado.....problem. Truck always had fan switch problems. Dealer replaced once, and fan has never been totaly dependable since.
    This new problem all started this past November. As in "MANY" of the other messages, I have read, my driver power window and door locks stopped working. The truck sat in the driveway for a few days, and wasn't used. Got in to start it, the battery was totally dead. Boosted the truck, and that's when things stopped working. Tried" ALL" the same things, everyone else has tried, but nothing worked. Went to friendly mechanic, and he couldn't figure it out, either. Driving away from mechanic, everything starting working again. Decided to get new battery, this week. Changed battery, same symptoms all over again. Went to mechanic, nothing different. Still not working.
    Going to Chevy dealer garage, this week. But not if things start working again. Grrrrr..... :)
  • cathypogocathypogo Member Posts: 2
    Okay, what kind of timing is this. My husband got determined to get it working properly, had it apart, did some testing, and says he just cleaned off the switches and now it is all working again. This is too bizarre a problem. But such a pain in the butt. Still going to dealer for emission, but will have a talk to them and see what they think. :)
    I still have not got my truck in to get fixed. It has NOT ever started working again I admit I hoped it would. Working at least 5 weeks of 12 hour night shifts. I am not even thinking of getting my truck in until January.

I am very interested to know what you find out.
    I ALSO HAVE AN 04. HAD FAN PROBLEMS 3 TIMES 2 TIMES WAS RESISTOR AND ONE TIME GROUND. I SUGGEST YOU HAVE A GROUND PROBLEM WITH YOUR DOORS. THE GROUNDING SYSTEM GM USED IS POOR AT BEST. GET SOMEONE THAT HAS ALLDATA OR SOME OTHER TYPE AND FIND WHERE THE POWER EQUIPMENT IN THE DOORS GROUND. I SUSPECT IT A COMMON POINT. THAT WILL BE YOUR PROBLEM. THE GROUND FOR THE BLOWER AND SEVERAL OTHER DEVICES, INCLUDING THE PCM IS LOCATED BEHIND THE AIR FILTER BOX. I HAD TO REMOVE THE DIME STORE CONNECTOR AND HARD GROUND EVERYTHING TO THE FRAME.
    WE HAVE A VERY GOOD AUTO ELECTRICAL SHOP HERE AND THEY DID A LOT TO HELP ME FIND AND FIX SOME OF THE PROBLEMS. GM WAS NO HELP. THEY KNOW THEY HAVE A PROBLEM AND HAVE DONE NOTHING TO FIX. NEWER TRUCKS STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS.'
    I HOPE THIS HAS HELPED
  • GrandCanyon1GrandCanyon1 Member Posts: 3
    I had a ditto problem on my 2005 Canyon.To start with mr battery went dead on me one cold morning.After boosting the truck the power locks and the drivers side window stopped working.Luckily the power door lock switch was replaced under warranty.but I had to buy a new battery.So much for the extended warranty.It seems this is a reoccuring problem on the Canyons. :cry:
    Mine is broke again... And has been for the past 2 weeks maybe. Today I had some free time, so I removed the entire armrest with the switches, and took it inside. I made sure it was thoroughly warmed, but when I reattached it, it still doesn't work. So I guess I'll have to take it in for service. It better be covered under my extended warranty though... :mad:
    Better hurry, before GM runs out of cash as your extended warranty won't be worth the paper it is written on nor in time will you be able to get any parts except the usual like altinators, starters and the stuff used on most vehicles with body parts maybe in a few years coming from China with their great quality that we hear so much about. At least the insurance companies will like it as that is what they try to force on us now.
    It'll be either week after next, or after that, when I have off of work and have time to deal with the dealership... Hopefully they're not bankrupt by then...
    Yeah, there is someone on this forum that thinks that all the electrical problems are due to bad grounds. That may have something to do with it, but the window/door lock thing seems tied to a fried battery, and the fried battery in my case tied with with a fried fuseblock that there was a service bulletin on.

Since the fuseblock fix, no more electrical problems in a year and a half. The rub is that the fuseblock apparently took out about $800 bucks worth of stuff along the way that Chevy wouldn't cover, the battery, the BCM, the fan motor, the fan resistor... I wasn't and still am not "happy" with GM because of this. Until their remants are bought out by Toyota or Ford or something, I'm never buying another GM. There's also one more little interesting thing with the Colorado if you didn't know...

Hey, if you own a 2004-2006 Colorado, also make sure you check into the extended head replacement warrantee. This is a BIG DEAL, especially if the company ends up going belly up.

My '05 started throwing a P305 code, misfire on cylinder 5. Actually the problem may be indicated by any of the P300 codes. What it boils down to is that the valve seats aren't hardened enough and compression on one or more cylinders is about nill. My truck started throwing the P305 at 90K miles, but it can happen as early as 24K miles from some of the posts I read. It won't be covered past 100K according to the bulletin, so there's a lot of guys trying to get their trucks to throw the P300 code and get it in before Chevy bellies in. Chevy will cover the head replacement but it's not pretty. It's two to three weeks, they have to pull the head, get a new one, transfer all the valves etc over to it, and put it all back together. There's also a glitchy thing with the timing chain that involves more, like probably pulling the engine if the chain slips. There's a tool to hold the timing chain but it still slipped in three out of three Colorados my dealer did. I gotta give my dealer credit, this time, the truck is running better than ever.

The truck also had a ticking sound like lifter tick ever since I had the truck. After the head replacement it went away.

Overall it's 30+ hours of work, and thank God it was covered by GM, otherwise it would probably be $3-$5 grand worth of work. My understanding is that the covereage is extended beyond the original owner. If Chevy goes under, who knows?

The P300 codes can also be something simple, but if any of you have your truck throwing this code, you better look into it quick before GM goes the way of the Dodo.
    They will be bailed out by then or bankrupt in which case you may be out of luck. Best advise I can give you is get it in NOW!
  • tmassa0703tmassa0703 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Canyon truck. While driving, the engine will shake violently, then a light will come in that states, "decreased power" will come on. Then the truck will stall out. Then it will not restart right away I need to wait a few minutes before it will restart. I have had this problem on the highway...I've lived to tell the story, but has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it. I have brought the truck into the dealer and they do not seem to know why this is happening. I have had the throttle body and gas peddle replaced, but this has not solved the problem. It has happened about 4 times and there is only 25,000 miles on the truck. Anyone have any ideas? (I will not buy another GMC ever)
  • mwarren808mwarren808 Member Posts: 1
    I googled this problem today to see if anyone else might be having similar issues with thier Colorodo. I have been on vacation all week, and have not driven my truck, which is a 2005 Chevy Colorodo crew cab with an inline 5. Today, my battery was dead, due to and inverter that I left plugged in for the past week. After jump starting my truck, I also could not use my fob, nor could I use my power locks. My driver side window would also not work. I also attempted to use the power lock switch on the passenger side, with no luck. I removed the switch assembly from the driver side door, disconnected, and reconnected, with no change in operation. I am very surprised to see so many people having the same problem. I have also now been informed by someone elses post about p300 codes. About a week ago, my check engine light came on. When having it checked to see what triggered the check engine light, I was told that the third cylinder was misfiring, and that is could be fixed by changing some spark plugs. I am now quite troubled to find out that it is something much more serious. If someone could explain, as I am unsure, why, if so many people are having the exact same problem, why an apperant design flaw on GM's behalf, has not been deemed a reason for recall. I have had several problems with my Colorodo already, and am not looking forward to dealing with an incompetant dealership mechanic once again. What exactly are the requirements for an automaker to issue a recall on apperant flaws of this nature?
    Now you know why Chevy is about out of business. They sell flawed products that cost more and don't back them up. No bailouts to pay for corporate jets.
  • mrwebmanmrwebman Member Posts: 15
    Actually, the Colorado is NOT an American product - it is basically a Isuzu I Series truck.

I have a Colorado and although it has not been perfect by any means, it has not been a bad truck. The only significant problem that I've had is the door lock issue and that's not earth shattering or anything. My battery went out at about 3 or 4 years but I consider that to be normal - a replacement was $93 at my local parts store - no big deal. Oh, there was the time that my wife left my tailgate down and it got bent a little...

Personally, I'd blame the current 'crisis' on the people that force the car companies to pay wages upwards of $83 per hour. At least I'd lay more blame on them than I would the company itself! Unions can be a good thing but they have got nuts and need to be forced back inline with what the rest of the US is doing. I personally wish that each State would enact Right To Work and this whole stinking mess would clear it's self up.

In any case, buy American - we could use the work!

Cheers.
    $83 per hour. Everytime onthe net someone posts GM's pay it goes up. A GM worker makes about $27 per hour depending on his/her job. Benefits etc. add on but the big cost is the retirees pay and healthcare costs for them that they EARNED by working 35 to 40+ years. They deserve the benefits promised them over the years or no one will work for them. Wait till the new group of employees come on line at $14 and hour. The turn over will kill them as there is no way someone with any brains will stay at a company for 30 years for that kind of chump change. I bet you make more that $14 or you couldn't afford that truck I'm guessing you own. :shades:
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I believe a recall is only required for safety related defects, not mechanical problems. As for the check engine light, you may have the cylinder head problem that many Colarado/Canyon owners have already experienced. I believe GM has a special warranty for this problem with coverage up to 100,000 miles. You shouldn't have to pay for it if this is the problem. As for the lousy service at your local dealer, I suggest you try another dealer. Good luck.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Actually, the Colorado is NOT an American product - it is basically a Isuzu I Series truck.

They are definitely American trucks. The Colorado/Canyon came first before the Isuzus - the Isuzu I-series is just a rebadged Colorado. They all come from GM's Shreveport Louisiana plant, along with the Hummer H3 which is built on the Colorado platform.

kcram - Pickups Host
    I believe both of you are right. Isuzu designed the truck for Chevy and then rebadged it for themselves.
    I CANT HELP WITH THE DOOR LOCKS BUT SOUNDS LIKE A HEAD PROBLEM WITH THE P-300 CODE. JUST HAD MINE REPLACED. GM WILL DO IT UNDER AN EXTENDED WARRANTY SO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER AND HAVE IT CHECKED AS SOON AS YOU CAN. . PLUGS WONT FIX IT.
    THEY DID MINE JUST BEFORE CHRISTMAS , WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED. TRUCK SEEMS FINE NOW.
    TO DATE I HAVE NOT HAD THE DOOR LOCK/ WINDOW PROBLEM BUT HAVE HAD SEVERAL PROBLEM WHITH THE BLOWER. HAVING TO REPLACE THE RESISTOR AND PLUG TWICE NOW. NOT THE BEST TRUCK GM HAS MADE FOR SURE. I DON'T THINK I WOULD BUY ANOTHER ONE, JUST TOO MANY PROBLEMS. MANY FROM POOR DESIGN
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    To the point of GM or any of the Big 3 using flawed parts, I believe the import companies issued a press statement that they didn't want the Big 3 to go under because that would be very detrimental to them also ( import companies in the U.S.) The reason was, the Big 3 and the import companies get parts from the same companies, if the Big 3 go under, the smaller companies that make their parts may fail, leaving the import companies without parts also. All vehicles have problems and some flawed parts are the cause for some of those problems. If they come from the same factories, they may be the same flaws?

Corporate jets? Really? Do you think any of the car companies major upper management are going to be able to fly by themselves on a commuter airline safely considering the current state of their stock values?

I have a friend who contemplated buying a certified Lex**, he went into a dealership and discussed it with a Lex mechanic, asking him about the auto tranny repairs. The mechanic told him he didn't know, they had never had to repair a Lex tranny. Hmmmm...... I was online just last month and happened across a thread with complaints about Lex** trannys. The Lex mechanic was pretty smart, he knew my buddy would trust a working man, figuring he had no reason to lie.

It is apparent, most people don't go online to leave positive reviews on their vehicles that are running smoothly with no issues, but you will see lots of negative posts. Doesn't mean there aren't lots of great running vehicles with no problems, it just means we all love to complain.

Should car companies fix the issues that are brought to their attention, absolutely. Are problems limited to domestic or GM or imports, not hardly.

Union wages and benefits have lifted the standard of living across the board in the U.S. The Big 3 have negotiated many concessions from the UAW over the last 20 years, including limiting the max amount per hour that new hires can achieve. The max now is very competitive with the import workers. Universal healthcare would help most every worker in the U.S. while helping the businesses that are being crippled by high healthcare costs.

We should take note, go online and see how many posts are basically advocating euthanasia for anyone over 50. YahooAnswers.com has many posts regarding the waste of health care for the elderly.

I guess a lot of people who hate unions feel the same way, 30, 35,40 years of service at a company and then dump them on the government to take care of, why should the company that promised them a retirement, a pension that is reduced by the amount Social Security kicks in, have to honor their obligation?

I for one, will be buying American built products until, there are none left to buy.
    Well, I didn't get on here to bad mouth GM, just looking for input for my problems.... Any car you buy will eventually have problems, and I believe more so if it's a new production vehicle... I always tell people to wait a few years and let them work the bugs out first..... And on a side note, I know alot of people are complaining about the OE tires that come on my truck... General Ameritrac whatevers... when snow first hit, the were ok... I put 200 lbs. in the bed... More snow, they sucked.... another 200 lbs... work just fine...
  • mikeof48mikeof48 Member Posts: 5
    At 51900 miles I replaced the OEM tires on my Extended Cab Colorado with a Nokia tire. It has an 60,000 mile warranty and handles snow as well as our front drive Buick does, albeit with 240 lbs in the back of the bed.
    I have had trouble with the service engine soon light and the dealer wanting beacoup bucks to replace parts my mechanic fixes for free. They would not acknowledge the bad fuel cap and I finally just bought one. It now appears, at 75,000 miles, that the fuel filler tube is bent from the weight of the nozzle resting on it when I'm putting gas in. This allows a small enough air leak to have the service engine soon light on and it's one I will have to live with.