Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Veracruz Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hotrudderedbumhotrudderedbum Member Posts: 4
    This info is a bit dated now but maybe useful to some New Englanders. I bought a 08 VC AWD Limited for my wife in December. Here are a few thoughts and impressions.

I was a dedicated Toyota fan shopping for a replacement for her aging RAV 4 fwd, which was spending too much time parked at the bottom of our steep icy driveway (Maine) this winter. I would have bought a Highlander but for the fact that the arrogant dealer wouldn’t budge on his ridiculous 15% margin and insisted we buy from his on lot inventory (not one but 2 dealers treated us identically). Hyundai worked hard to sell us this car and gave us a great trade in on my RAV4 (Toyota made an insulting tradein offer). It may have helped that we had cash in hand and it was 2 days before the end of the year. We were only interested in the stone/ tan color scheme and they brought one over from another lot to test drive.

Also tried the Lexus RX-350 but found it lacking headroom due to the sunroof housing and priced exorbitantly for such a small car.

So far I am almost completely happy with the VC. The quietness is amazing although there is some tire/ suspension noise on rough roads. It plows up our 300’ long driveway in any combination of ice & snow and feels very competent driving in slippery conditions.

I am a little disappointed that there is no MP3 plug in, and apparently won’t be one. Recording discs in MP3 format is a pain, but I’ll get over it. Also, at 6’2” I too can’t find enough leg room up front. Even with the electric seats. They could have mounted them further back and sacrificed a bit of unused rear leg room.

So far the fit and finish rivals Lexus except the exterior paint job. I haven’t seen this much orange peel since my ’61 Rambler Classic. Of course they say I should have opted for the clear coat. The gas filler cover doesn’t fit exactly flush either.

All up, if the car lasts as well as it should it looks like the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Oh, and the price? $1800 below invoice w/ 1500 miles on it (manager drove to & from home for 2 months) and full warranty. Until I got here I thought I’d negotiated a good price. I too am amazed they are willing to cut that sharply (-$2000-$2500). With winter in full swing and a new snowstorm bearing down on us I was pretty happy with what we got.
  • lyle5lyle5 Member Posts: 12
    I agree completely with you, Hotrudderbum....We bought the VC FWD Ltd the last day of Dec 2007. We love the car in most ways, but the seats in front are a little too small, they sit too high for me ( also 6'2" ) and one of the first things that I noticed was the paint job. I thought it had clear coat....I didn't think anyone painted cars today without it. It does have a lot of orange peel. It shows mostly on the sides, on our car. AT ANY RATE...IT IS A GREAT CAR. We haven't driven it much, but with this warranty and the quality that that is built into the car..6 speed trans etc, we both love it. We don't have the icy driveway in So Cal, but it really does well on the freeways............Best of luck with the car, I am sure you will never regret the purchase
  • 19631963 Member Posts: 9
    I was on a business trip in Louisville KY on monday and the dealership there had 6--count 'em--6 black hyundai veracruz ltd with various pkg, including 3 2007's with ultimate pkg on them. we had looked everywhere in TN where we lived for them. i looked at them on the way home, and they asked me what they could do to have me drive one back home that night, so we bought 2007 black ltd, black saddle,/ultimate package/rear dvd/cross roof rails for

$28,649.68 sales price

+$2,651.47 TTL
    +$698.85 Delivery and docs

$32,000.00 drive off

Sticker was $36,494.00 I believe
    Invoice was $34,051.00

A great deal using the $3,500.00 rebate, $1,000.00 additional dealer cash rebate, and a little more. Needless to say, we are very pleased and it was a joy to drive it home that night!

That was a great dealership and there are evidently more bargains to be had there.
  • dgldgl Member Posts: 8
    Hi All,

Just bought a '07 Veracruz SE with leather, sunroof, upgraded stero for $25788 plus tax & license. List was 32,270 and I got the last one on the lot. Sale price included $1,000 rebate from Hyundai. Got it from Gillman Hyundai in Austin,TX
  • plainfieldrobplainfieldrob Member Posts: 3
    Can you advise on dealer name? Searched through inventory of what three local dealers I could find on net...Thanks.
  • lyle5lyle5 Member Posts: 12
    Hyundai of Carlsbad California...We paid 28,995..We didn't haggle with them but might have gotten a better price if we had. Sounds like you got a good deal!
    oxmoor hyundai in louisville ky
  • men2000men2000 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to dgl and 1963 for posting your deals. I thought both of your deals are great. May I ask the vehicles you purchase, is it a AWD or FWD (front wheels drive) and what was the mileages on the cars when you drove it off the lots?
  • plainfieldrobplainfieldrob Member Posts: 3
    Thanks...

Did find two 2007 Limiteds at Rick Case Hyundai in Duluth, GA...but reason they are still on lot is obviuosly because they won't negotiate much. Initial price over phone was just $2000 under MSRP...I can do better on '08s in Chicagoland.

Still looking...no '07s left around the midwest that I can find.
  • doctorstidoctorsti Member Posts: 9
    Just went to the dealer and was told no way to go below invoice as that's what "they pay." Not being born yesterday I know this is false but what gives, they let me walk away with a price 500 over invoice. Per sales manager, no dealer would stay in business if they sold for what I was suggesting, which was 2500 below invoice of 35,500. May have to go with a Tribeca that I can get a much better deal on but started at a higher MSRP of 40K fully loaded. Guess I can find my way over to the Tribeca discussion forum unless anyone has any suggestions. Oh and I did mention local online deals and he seemed to think that was smoke and mirrors to get you in the dealership (for example Fitzmall).
    ours was fwd and had 494 miles.
    we had the best luck when searching inventory on the internet. for example, we went to dealer in nashville, and they found a black '07 LTD FWD just like we wanted in knoxville, tn. they quoted us $35,795 drive off. I had already found it on the internet and knew that knoxville would sell it to me if i drove there for $33,100 drive off! Your auto can be found and there are deals to be made. I had best honest dealing by starting with the internet sales managers at dealerships like Atlanta GA Ed Voyles, Knoxville TN Twin Cities, and Louisville KY Oxmoor. These all appear to offer low prices and deal honestly.

As to the Tribecca, we drove it also, but visibility seemed poor and the center console is oddly placed. My wife is 5'6" and when the driver's seat is correctly positioned for her, she can not rest her right arm on the center console or anything else--the console is actually directly beside and behind the drivers seat! If anyone in your family is 5'6" or so, be certain to drive it for a good period. I believe you might find this annoying as well. Also, in my experience, the Tribecca and Veracruz are not price competitive. The Tribecca was easily $3-4K higher when comparably equipped when we priced them. Good luck and let us know what you discover.
    sorry missed the smoke and mirrors issue. Walking into a dealership, I heard exactly the same. Don't buy it for a minute. The dealers I dealt with on the internet put all offers in writing and faxed me a confirmation with a specific inventory#. I specified drive out (drive off) price (including TTL) and that's what they quoted.

The only smoke and mirrors are the ones being used by the salesman in front of you who doesn't think you'll drive to get a better deal. Jim Reed Hyundai in Nashville called me twice jokingly asking, "did you go to Atlanta and pick up that car yet, Ha Ha Ha?" I was very pleased to tell him that actually I was in Louisville on business and bought one there. I faxed him a copy of the bill showing the price. $35,900 vs. $32,000. He never called back ...... Your research and finding the car you want on the internet are invaluable tools to get an excellent price.
  • doctorstidoctorsti Member Posts: 9
    that's the best part... the tribeca I am looking at MSRP is 39,401 while Veracruz is 38,195. The best deal for veracruz is still 2K more then best deal for same equipment Tribeca. Only thing you lose on Tribeca is the auto lift gate and smart key on Veracruz but Veracruz not available with nav and rear seat entertainment with back up camera like Tribeca.
  • carbuyer11carbuyer11 Member Posts: 114
    Mr. Gale- I am also in the Richmond, VA area. Last June, I ended up doing business with Jim Price Hyundai in Charlottesville. I purchased an AWD Limited Veracruz for my wife's birthday. They were great to work with- they even drove the car to my office in Richmond. If you haven't done so already, you should at least give them a shot at earning your business.
    can't argue when the dollars are right. That's one reason we searched for an 07 still on the lot. deep discounted and all the bells and whistles except nav (not available on 07) and back up camera (just sensors) see my earlier post for price we paid.
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    The current leaders are:

07 GLS - $3700 under invoice

07 Limited - $3500 under invoice. (There is a lot of recent deals with the 07s)

07 SE - $3000 under invoice.

08 SE - $2,000 under invoice.

08 GLS - $2,021 under invoice.

08 Limited - $3,161 under invoice. A standard deal should be between $2-2.5K under invoice. (Without rebates, there seems to be little or no action on the 08s)

Prices include rebates.

Watch out for the extra fees!

Keep posting the good deals.

Good Luck!
  • winedogswinedogs Member Posts: 102
    Do you think Veracruz buying activity is light do to the lack of incentives (rebates and financing)? Hyundai is offering discounts across the board, including the new 09 Sonota. I hope there is something in April, my wife is growing tired of me watching these forums!
  • elvisluvselvisluvs Member Posts: 29
    I might be way off base here- I think the lack off decent deals on the veracruz has to do with the exchange rate. It seems to me the sante fe and sonata (built in alabama) both have the bigger rebates. As for the azera- I imagine the sales are slowing a bit anyway, not including the "slowdown" in the economy. I wouldn't mind being wrong though and have them throw a nice $3000 on the veracruz's hood :) in the next few days. Winedogs- I've been dragging my feet for probably a year now. My wife does want to kill me. She did go test driving up at danbury (ct) hyundai over the weekend. They treated her quite rudely ( "are you gonna buy this weekend?", "the veracruz is a lot more money", "bring your husband back with you", "I can't just give you prices on all three models"). So that episode kind of took her barrier of buying a car a couple of states away-away.
  • men2000men2000 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

Just bought a '07 Veracruz SE with leather upgrade package (leather, sunroof, upgraded stero, cross roof rail) for $24,760.00 plus tax & license. MSRP is $34,769, Invoice Price is $ 31,070. The car has 80 miles on it when drove off the lot. Sale price included $1,000 rebate in Dallas, TX. I saw they have 2 more cars on the lot. Anybody still looking for car can send me an e-mail at thtran500@yahoo.com and I will send you the address of the dealer.

Here is how the tax break down:
    Sale tax : 6.25% of purchase price (in my case about $1500)
    Documentary fee: $50
    Dealer inventory tax : $53.45
    License, Transfer, Title & Reg Fees, Insp : $127.55

Total cost drive out the lot is $25,731.00
    The current leaders are:

07 GLS - $3700 under invoice

07 Limited - $3500 under invoice. (There is a lot of recent deals with the 07s)

07 SE - Over $6000 under invoice. WOW, new post!

08 SE - $2,000 under invoice.

08 GLS - $2,021 under invoice.

08 Limited - $3,161 under invoice. A standard deal should be between $2-2.5K under invoice. (Without rebates, there seems to be little or no action on the 08s)

Prices include rebates.

Watch out for the extra fees!

Keep posting the good deals.

Good Luck!
    Checked Hyundai's homepage for rebates and it says to contact your dealer. So I did, my local internet manager "claims" that the 08 Veracruz will have a $1000 rebate for April. I have not been able to confirm this on any reliable site, so take it for what it is worth.

I am torn between the Veracruz (that has all the options I want) and a CX-9 that is offering 1.9% financing for 60 months. The problem with the CX-9 is that most of the options are packaged. For example, I want a automatic rear lift gate but not the navigation system, but they come as a combined option, very frustrating.
  • jrsactownjrsactown Member Posts: 10
    The CX-9 is a nice vehicle, but is over 200 inches. The Veracruz is 191", which allows you to get in tight spaces, including garage. Also, the CX-9 has a large turning radius.The VC is 37', which is great when making U-turns.
    As far as price, the VC is a better value. An 07 VC limited with AWD can be had for 30K + Tax/License.
    I have owned my 07 VC Limited AWD for 13,000 miles, and no problems, great vehicle. Paid $33,000 in May 07, + Tax/License.
    Get the VC!
    It's official, there is a $1000 rebate on all 2008 Veracruz trims for the month April. Looks like it is time to seriously start shopping! Anyone interested in a 97 Acura TL with 112K :)

jrsactwon - thanks for the input and pricing info.
  • carbuyer11carbuyer11 Member Posts: 114
    I agree 100% on the Veracruz's turning radius. It's great for a vehicle this size. Very nimble in a parking lot setting.
  • dgldgl Member Posts: 8
    It's a FWD with about 500 miles on it.
    hey seloo what's the criteria for these latest amounts? the reason i ask is some of the 07 ltd deals posted are more than $3500, like mine where we were close to $6k under invoice. do thse other posts not count in your stats? i looked back in the posts and there isnt an old post addressing it. an 07 ltd deal that is only $3500 under invoice is NOT a good deal .....

If your deal is a straight purchase with no trade involved, please post the numbers:

MSRP

Invoice Price

Rebates

Extra Fees:

Price Paid: Before TT&L

TT&L

Final Price

Thanks
  • qthqth Member Posts: 25
    Here is I paid for a 07 VC with prem. package, cross bar and carpet mats.

MSRP: $32+K

Invoice Price: Unknown

Rebates:

Extra Fees: $59

Price Paid: Before TT&L $25K

TT&L: 6.25% tax + Title ($33) + License ( $70 state insp. + $71 lic. plate)

Final Price
    My mechanic in Pittsburgh asked me if I checked out Planet Hollywood in Vegas. Never heard of them and to far for me to travel. But they do have (38) 2007 Veracruz's and (38) 2008 Veracruz's on their web page. They even show Dark Bronze, which I cannot find in a 2008 within 400 miles of the burgh. Thought this might be of interest to anyone out west or anyone that likes a little fun in the sun.

They advertise that they are the #1 Hyundai dealership.
  • yesunyesun Member Posts: 3
    Just got a 2008 LTD AWD w/ read entertainment, roof cross rails, and carpeted mats for a total, out the door price of $32,200. I searched pretty much all the dealerships in the NC, VA area, and got that price in Alexandria, VA. Besides the $1k rebate, got an extra $500 military rebate. Total email deal, never talked to the dealership until I showed up w/ a check.
    Can you tell me what dealership?
    Alexandria Hyundai
    I am about to put a deposit down on the following vehicle.

2008 Veracruz Limited AWD - Diamond Black with black saddle interior
    Options: Entertainment package, cross rails, and carpeted floor mats.
    Dealer does not have vehicle in stock but will trade with another dealer to bring in

MSRP - $38,275
    Invoice - $35,465
    Out the door price including all fees and rebates, except sales tax (6%) $32,000. Add in the sales tax of $1920 and my total is $33,920, w/4.9% financing for 60 months.

I think it is a very fair deal, since this is the exact trim level I want and no one in my area has the exact vehicle. Any feedback/thoughts would be appreciated?

By the way, Edmund's does not show it, but one salesman in my region said that there was an additional $500 cash to dealer this month?????
    Looks like a good deal!

Is there a trade with this deal?

Once the deal is final, please give us the final numbers.

Thanks for sharing.
    Her's the breakdown of the final cost of my 08 AWD LTD w/ cross rails, carpets and rear entertainment:

price $32245
    filing feee 20
    VA taxes 979
    dealer tax 65
    title fee 52
    processing fee 389
    rebates of -1500
    for a balance pd of
    $32250
    There is no trade - thanks to everyone for their input in this forum. Used many examples from here when negotiating via e-mail. I put a $500 deposit down today, I will post my final numbers next week.
    Yesun,

Your deal is fantastic! I am envious of how little you paid in sales tax - $979 verse my PA tax of $1920.
  • cusincusin Member Posts: 11
    I spoke with a Manager of a Hyundai Dealership and he told me that a Veracruz that Edmunds Lists at approx. $32,500 Dealer costs, his actual cost is more like $31,000. This is without taking the $1,000 factory rebate. Something for you guys out there to keep in mind. Please do not ask me where this dealer is located.
    Doesn't Edmund's list invoice not dealer costs. Correct me if I am wrong, but I always assumed dealer cost is never truly invoice and that is not even including hold backs nor incentives to dealers from the manufacture.
    I finally took the plunge and purchased a Veracruz today.

08 AWD Limited - Diamond Black with black saddle leather interior
    Options: Entertainment Package (DVD and Infinity Sound System), Carpeted Mats, First Aid Kit, and Cross Rails.

MSRP - $38,295
    Invoice - $35,481
    Cost of Vehicle, including rebates - $31,836.50
    Title, Tags, Fees, etc... $165.50
    Out the door $32,000, not including my 6% PA sales tax

Here is the kicker. The dealer I purchased this Veracruz from did not have the exact vehicle I wanted on their lot and was over an hour away from my home. They traded with the dealer that was near my home about 15-20 minutes away. The dealer close to me, would not go below invoice when I tried to by the exact vehicle from them when it was on their lot! :shades:

My buying tips: Do your homework, find out what others are paying. I know, I did not get the lowest price reported on this forum, but felt comfortable with 2.5K under invoice. Except for a test drive I did not step into a dealer until the day I purchased the vehicle. I blasted about 20-25 dealers within my tri state area. Some dealers would only talk if I came in to their dealership - crossed them right off the list. Some tried to get me into a vehicle not even close to what I wanted, but some dealers actually went out of their way to get my business. I was able to use false front line internet pricing in Maryland as a negotiating price to get my final deal in Western PA. I expierenced about a $3,000 swing in quotes. The dealer I purchased from, made less on this sale, but told me that they are trying to make it up on volume and that working off of lower margins will give them a larger allocation from Hyundai. Hence, in the future they will have more vehicles with different trim levels to choose from then the competition. Those with all the marbles win theory.

I hope my information helps someone and on behalf of my wife, who is tired of seeing my on the computer at all hours - GOOD NIGHT and see you in about five years!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Congrats. I am sure you will enjoy your Veracruz. If you don't mind me asking, what part of western PA are you from? I live in Johnstown and have found the local Hyundai dealer not willing to budge much in the past.I am considering trading in my Tucson later this year on a Santa Fe and if necessary I will head down to Fitzmall to ge the best deal.
    Tenpin288,

I live in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. Send my your e-mail and I think I can give you some good advise. Unless you want exactly the model and trim that Fitzmall has on the internet, they do not have the best pricing. In fact, they were my example in my last post. I tried them and when I requested a quote on the exact vehicle I wanted - all of the sudden the price increased. There is a dealership much closer to you then in Maryland and they will work with of off tight margins. I also tried J-town with no success.

P.S. I did my undergrad at Pitt at Johnstown, back in the late 80's! HAIL TO PITT!
    Congrats!

Great post!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Small world! I work at UPJ although I arrived long after you were gone. Yeah, Laurel Hyundai in Jtwn is a decent dealer but they are not that great for getting a good deal. Their service dept is very good, though. And considering the number of Hyundai dealers within an hour or two of Jtwn, you would think they would deal more. As far as any info you could pass my way, my e-mail address is currently available in my profile so e-mail away. Enjoy that Veracruz!
  • cool_herbpatcool_herbpat Member Posts: 5
    Hi!

Congratulations on your VeraCruz.. :)

You got great deal...

I am in search for similar Veracruz

Would you please tell me name of dealer so I can reference for my pricing in Chicago Area ?

Thanks.,
    Herb
    Cool Herbpat,

I went with Mike Kelly Hyundai out of Butler PA.
  • cool_herbpatcool_herbpat Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for a reply...

Enjoy your New Vehicle... :)

Herb.
  • lemonesqlemonesq Member Posts: 6
    Thanks to Winedogs and those others that are posting their purchases on this thread. Its unbelievably helpful to me. I have yet to take the plunge but am searching. I think Hyundai generally makes very good cars.

Since we are seeing more frequent purchases now with the $1000 rebate, and the year winding down, I want to remind everyone that has recently bought or is close to buying, to not forget to "Opt Out" of the arbitration provision Hyundai is putting in their warranty manual. I.e. you have 90 days from purchase to Opt Out of a binding arbitration provision. Hopefully you will never need to consider litigation against Hyundai, but if you have to you will not be able to bring a lawsuit against Hyundai on your car since, unless you "opted out" you "agreed" to the binding arbitration stuck in your warranty manual which you never knew about. You always can arbitrate if you want and Hyundai agrees, but this provision forces you to give up your constitutional right to trial and arbitrate via an arbitration company of Hyundai's choice. Often a much more expensive proposition than court.

I do not think Hyundai is telling people about this at the time of sale, thus, unless you happen to read your warranty manual, you would not know the clock was ticking...
  • nacenace Member Posts: 45
    herb, what dealers have you shopped in the chicago area?