Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Transmission Problems

Comments

• tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Consumer Reports is not always reliable with respect to vehicle reliability ratings

Granted any report/survey regarding problems should always be taken with a grain of salt due to variances in methodology, reporting percentages, etc, but CR is usually "fairly" accurate. The thing to remember here is that CR's ratings are based on how a vehicle ranks with its "peers", not on some absolute scale. That means that maybe the SF transmission could have some problems but it ranks at the top of the scale compared to similar vehicles. Ergo, you could take that to mean that the SF transmission is at the top of the heap and a shining example of automotive engineering, or just merely the best of a bad bunch!
  • joe919joe919 Member Posts: 4
    We've still want a Sante Fe, probably a 2011 and may take a chance soon. I'm beginning to think the trans issues are a limited thing with a vocal minority. I hope I'm right but feel bad for those with the trans problem.
    Several posts mention the Forester. We have a 2001 with 105k+ miles. It hasn't had any major transmission issues but it's had it share of problems. Eats brakes and no we're not hard on them.. Do a search for "head gasket problems". Or rusted fuel filler neck problem. Worst stereo I've ever heard. There were other problems but the car had it's good points. Granted this was a 2001 model.
    The Sante Fe looks nice overall compared to other things in it's price range. A family member has a Highlander and while nice it's had a couple of issues while costing $7k more for a similar equipped model.
  • bokonon3bokonon3 Member Posts: 20
    I own an early production 2007 Santa Fe. Two of our next door neighbors have Santa Fes (one a 2009, and one a 2010). Several of our friends own them as well. What can I say ... they are popular here in Colorado. The AWD versions make good ski cars.

None of us in our circle of owners have had any transmission troubles. That includes some strenuous driving in the Rocky Mountains.

Our Santa Fe is the only car in the group that has had any issues at all. We had a problem with the passenger side front airbag sensor, which required two trips to the dealer. Other than that, our car has been dead on reliable over 35K miles.

Hyundai has been really pleasant and responsive to work with. They even upgraded our front map lights for free when they redesigned and improved them for the 2008 model year, and replaced a broken interior vent as a warranty repair when really ... it was a hyperactive 10 year old who broke it. That was super nice of them.

That said, our Santa Fe was a replacement for an unreliable, expense-prone 2000 Subaru Outback (which suffered from the typical 2.4L engine head gasket and engine seal issues). That was a car made ten years ago, and Subaru's current line of cars may be different. Or it may not be, seeing as Subaru is still using the same doggone drivetrain designs that have been having issues for years and years. But let's not assume that Subaru's cars are going to be any better or worse than Hyundai's products over the long haul. From my own personal experience, Subarus are NOT particularly reliable and can be a real pain in the maintenance department.

So count me as a Subaru skeptic. They shouldn't get a free pass.

Then there is the enjoyability-of-driving issue. I don't know about the their other models, but the brand new Subaru Legacy that I drove as a rental car last month was not very good. It was nice looking, sitting on the rental agency's lot, and I was all enthusiastic to select it from their lineup ... and then I drove it around. Holy cow ... what a underpowered, unresponsive lump. Definately not geared for people who enjoy driving.
  • jemms2010jemms2010 Member Posts: 10
    So everything that could have been replaced or fixed has been but problem still persists, we are now ging after the dealership to replace the vehicle as they have no fix for the problem, if GM of the dealership doesn't replace vehicle then CAMVAMP will be invlolved since we do not have a Lemon law in Ontario, the Canadian Auto Arbitrators take over instead. will update soon
  • royh1royh1 Member Posts: 7
    I posted previously regarding my intermittent transmission problem because of slipping and jerking on start up. My Santa Fe was produced in October of 2009, and from what I have read the tranny problem is most likely from the early 2010 productions. I really like my Santa Fe and did research the SUV crossover vehicles before buying. I am not upset about buying and would buy again. I really like this vehicle. I have traveled across the country and quite a ways into Canada in this car and have had no problems other than the slipping which only occurs at low speed. And besides that, I would say it's only slipped about 4 or 5 times total. . My dealer, Taylor Hyundai in Perrysburg, Ohio, has been excellent. I have a loaner car while they are replacing the ECU, (computer controller). They have had only 2 Santa Fe's with this problem, but I am certain it will be corrected and be trouble free. Regarding the previous post on Subaru's, I currently own a Subaru Impreza WRX that would change his mind on being sporty and fun to drive. Subaru also makes quite a few model wagons with 250hp turbos and will beat some of the Porches. As far a reliability, I have had zero problems with my Subaru(s) over the last 20 years. The biggest difference between the Santa fe and WRX is the size. The Santa fe is much bigger and has more room for stuff and people. It will also tow my boat.
  • bokonon3bokonon3 Member Posts: 20
    royh1 -

My point is that we should not automatically categorize ALL Subarus the same way. Not all Subarus are boring to drive. But at the same time, not all Subarus are sporty. Particularly the current 4 cylinder version of the Legacy ... which seems to aspire to be an AWD version of the Toyota Camry. As a former Subaru owner, I was surprised at how much worse it drove than previous models.

And in terms of reliability ... my 2000 Legacy Outback wasn't very good. I am glad that you had a better experience with your WRX.

Watch your transmission, though.
  • halfpintnyhalfpintny Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2010 Limited AWD Sante Fe in March and have the same slipping and slamming into geart hat others have stated. It defintely happens the most between 20-24 mph and when I take my foot off the gas to coast. I started having this issue at around 4500 miles. I took the vehicle in and was told it was the computer assisted transmission being "confused" by having too many drivers. They reset the computer and I was told to be the only driver. To say the least I am annoyed. We just bought a brand new $30K vehicle and my husband is not allowed to drive it??? Fine, we have made every effort for me me to be the only one that drives it and yet, now, we are having the problem again. In my opinion this issue is DANGEROUS. Either the trany will slip or will slam into gear as if I have been rear ended and then jerk forward. It is especially dangerous because there is typically a reason for me taking my foot off the gas pedal and coasting to begin with (such as high traffic areas, or allowing someone in front of me). Yesterday at 6700, I went food shopping with my infant son. The transmission slipped once on the way there. I parked, did my shopping and when I came out, the car wouldnt start. I had it towed to the dealership. Last night I started doing some research and thats when I came across this forum. I am not at all confident now that they will be able to correct this problem. I guess I will just continue to take the vehicle in when I have the issue and then pursue a lemon law claim. I'm interested in finding out today why it wouldnt start. I will keep you posted. At this point in my ownership, I am certainly having buyers remorse and feel I should have went with the Toyota or Honda.
  • rplatnerrplatner Member Posts: 7
    I brought my car in for "7500 mile service" last week. I have posted numerous times about the hard shift from first to second - only when the car is cold. My solution has been to let the car warm up a bit. In any case, I went told service dept of the issue, and even came prepared with specific tsb's that seem to apply (technical service bulletins posted within the hyundai tech site). Service guy says "I don't recommend doing a bunch of things to your car (per the TSB) unless we know for sure it needs that - cuz that can make things worse sometimes." Well...guess what? They couldn't reproduce the hard shift. The other perhaps more significant thing is that part of the regular service for this vehicle was a factory sponsored ECM upgrade. (that means an update to the computer that controls (among other things) shifting. Anyway..I've had the car back for 4 days and so far it seems to shift smoother than before, and I can't get it to do the hard band shift even when cold. Maybe this is a fix??!!
    I recognize from others on this message board, that some people seem to have a significantly "sicker" transmission - i never had problems at higher gears, or after the car warmed up. And certainly never got stuck on the side of the road.
    I would also like to say that yes..while i am annoyed that there is any issue at all - I still really like my car. It's comfortable, drives great, its got the best ipod interface/navigation system on the market, and serves my needs well. Good luck
  • repeaterrepeater Member Posts: 1
    I Would suggest anyone with any Hyundai problem go to hmaservice.com, a web site available only on internet explorer. It apparently is the only auto web site supported by the manufacturer and not only contains all the TSBs for all Hyundai products but detailed descriptions of the fix. There is "Service campaign" for transmission or drive train noise issued on 11/17. Check it out
  • donenowdonenow Member Posts: 3
    picked up my 2010 Sante Fe on the 17th and so far so good. Rosen Hyundai did install a new trans. and seems to be the fix (fingers crossed) took it out on a long toll way trip looking for any vibrations or any thing else and all is well, also no more of that jerking feeling when I first started it some times.Rosen has been good to me with top of the line loaners and calles with information updates, I hope any one who has an issue gets treated the way I did.
  • mike541mike541 Member Posts: 1
    We've had our 2010 Santa Fe FWD since Aug 6 and it has just over 7500 miles and had no problems. I was driving home last night and there was a loud bang and the engine jumped up to 4500 rpms and stayed there, never down shifting. If I took my foot off the gas the rpms would obviously drop, but as soon as I stepped on the gas it just shot back up to 4500-5000 rpms. Luckily I was near my exit from the interstate and slowly drove home. I called the dealer on the way and they said bring it in and get a loaner. The dealer called this morning and the transmission is shot. The service guy said that it is a problem Hyundai knows about. I asked is it a recall and he said no since it is a sporadic problem and that he would get a brand new transmission and have it done next week. From the posts here it seems like it maybe more then just a sporadic problem.
    i have posted on this page previously about the transmission problem, apparently there are some 2010's out there that do have a transmission problem, mine being one of them too, they already switched my transmission out in Feb of this year, but the problem came back. The Manufacturer told us there was a service bulletin out in July this year of this issue and an updated transmission was available to be put in. Since we had our's changed in February they put the same model of tranny in that was faulty but they didn't know it at the time. Check the production date of your vehicle it is found on the inside of the drivers door on the sticker, if it was from November 2009 - January 2010 production time these are the ones it is mainly affecting. Repost the production years, I'm trying to figure out if this is true what they are saying as we have been offered a new 2010 Santa Fe in return for ours as it is a continuos problem. The new one they are offering us was made inJune 2010.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    amazing.. don't they realize that a recall would make them seem more responsible. I hope everyone is not just returning to the dealer but also reporting to Hyundai - this is the only way it will get to recall status as well as reporting it to other institutions/entities.
  • iv6teciv6tec Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2010
    The only way to force a recall is to report your vehicle's transmission problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at this web address:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • rdsanteferdsantefe Member Posts: 4
    I also have a new 2010 Sante Fe. the day after I bought it the "phantom" clunking when start up began. I took it back to the dealership thinking it might be a loose suspension component but alas nothing was found. two weeks later the slamming into second gear started. At this point it was still drivable but very annoying. As the temperature started to fall ( I live in Alberta Canada) the clunk at start up and harsh shift began to worsen. I have mad about 10 visits to the dealership to try and come up with a fix but Hyundai Canada is not helping at all!!!! After much persuasion, I finally got Hyundai to replace the transmission. They put in a rebuilt trans ( only 12,000 KMs on the vehicle) on a thursday and I went to pick it up on a Friday after work. I never got out of the parking lot without a major slip in the transmission. Hyundai Canada said they would try another re manufactured transmission but I called them to task on doing that. they have now agreed on a new transmission but it will take until mid to late January to get it. This will mean that I will be without my vehicle for over TWO MONTHS. Hyundai Canada has declined to give me a rental because I have requested a new transmission instead of a rebuilt one. By the way... this is my 4th new Hyundai since 2004. So much for looking after their customers. The dealer is doing all he can to rectify the problem but Hyundai Canada will not stand behind their product!!! I am seriously looking at going to CAMVAP ( Canada's equivalent to US lemon laws).
    Reply to Alberta Post:
    I also had the same problem as posted previously with my 2010 Santa Fe and they replaced the transmission last February, and it never did get fixed, ultimately if you go through CAMVAP they too will agree with the manufacturer to replace the Tranny again, my dealership gave me the same option to change the tranny again and since it had so many issues the damage was already done to the vehicle. My dealership offered to take the vehicle back as a trade for another 2010. So far so good, you should see if they are willing to take it back as a trade and get another one.
  • royh1royh1 Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2010
    I posted regarding my problem and it has since been fixed. I have not had any further problems in the last 6 weeks. They had the car for 3 days in order to send the ECU back to the factory for reprogramming. All is fine and I would not let them keep replacing transmissions because they told me that is not the problem. The factory is well aware of this problem and I don't understand why all these other dealers do not have the correct procedure as per the factory TSB. I do like my Santa Fe and believe it's by far the best value in SUV crossovers.
  • dbqfandbqfan Member Posts: 16
    I have had the ECU reprogrammed on the original transmission and the replacement transmission and that does not fix the problem. I now have 2 defective transmissions. Some guy from Hyundai called me and said I should bring it in and they will try the ECU reprogram again. I am sick of this problem and Hyundai seems to totally ignore it. They will have to wake up on this as I have authorized my attorney to sue them under the Lemon Law. I am tired of a unresponsive dealer who could care less and Hyundai seems to be the same as the stupid dealer. I can't believe these dealers. They fall all over themselves trying to sell me a car. As soon as I have a legit complaint they treat me like I am some kind of weirdo. I have filled a complaint with the NTSB and they have contacted me for more information. They are more concerned about this than Hyundai.
  • cccdunncccdunn Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    I bought my Santa Fe in April 2010 and in October it started to shift into gears roughly. When it started to get colder in South Carolina, the gear shifting started to be more and more noticeable. I figured it was because it didn't like the cold. Well three weeks ago when I put it into drive, it would take its sweet time to go into drive. It would take less time when it warmed up? I called the dealer ship and they wanted to see it. I took it in and the man drove it around the shop and told me he would order a transmission for it. I thought, wow, that was good, then I thought, Oh No, this is not the first time this has happened. I started researching it and its a problem. Christmas Eve the car would not go into drive. I couldn't call anyone.... I had to wait till today. I called Road Side assistance like the service tech told me and I had to get a ride in there to get a rental car. The rental car they authorized was a COBALT.... I drive a SUV???? I was not happy at all! The transmission was suppose to be in last Tuesday and it still is not in, they said it was on back order? I am really worrying now about this issue.

It started around 5000 miles and now it has 13000 miles on it.
  • mike519mike519 Member Posts: 16
    I am surprised Hyundai has not had a recall around this transmission issue. Bought my 2010 Sante Fe in May, 2010. The trans had hard shifting problems at low speeds and the dealer blew me off until the mechanic happened to drive it after several visits. They replaced the transmission ASAP. Hyundai still does not acknowledge a problem with the vehicle. My advice is to stay on them until you are satisfied.
  • jvalenzuelajvalenzuela Member Posts: 1
    Bought my 2010 Sante Fe GLS in May, 2010. The trans broke after 8 months of driving it, without any misused, and 21,082 miles. They are replacing it. I hope that this wont become an on going problem.
    My dealer acts like I am the first person in the world with a problem with a Santa Fe. I am on my 2nd transmission and the problem is still there. I will no longer take any crap for the dealer or Hyundai.
  • lynzaylynzay Member Posts: 7
    I had to replace mine at 21,200 km make sure you take nothing less then them paying for your rental car... they will do it but it takes some pushing. After mine was replaced it has been fine so far! Although I was told that it was a manufacter's default that it had been like that since the begining... hopefully yours will turn out ok. Good luck
  • lynzaylynzay Member Posts: 7
    My dealer acted like I was the only one with this problem too but when I pulled all of these posts and the bullentins out of my purse and threw them on the desk they looked at me stunned.... Didint have my car back for almost a month but I made them pay for a car rental since I only have one car and because I work out of town not like I can walk or take a bus.... so far my tranny has been ok but please anyone reading this stick to your guns! Dont let them get away with it, if they wont do anything take it higher and higher until you get what you want. ;)
  • tanya_ptanya_p Member Posts: 1
    Reply to Alberta Post:

I have had the same problem with my 2010 Sante Fe we bought in March 2010. I am now on my 3rd Transmission and still having the same problem, car only has 15,000 kms on it. Completely frustrated and now sending emails and posts to any place I can find...no more Mr. Nice Guy! :lemon:
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    edited January 2011
    Really sorry to read about all the auto trans problems. Especially since I really love the Santa Fe's design, seating comfort, and ride. So much so that I'm considering ordering one with a 6-speed Manual Trans. BUT, I haven't been able to find one 'round here in Orange County, so I keep reading this Forum, hoping to hear that Hyundai has stopping building these unreliable transmissions. AND gone back and re-worked all the bad ones already on the road.

On the off chance that there are Manual Trans owners reading this thread (to help themselves feel better about their choice?), I'd like to hear your comments on how they like driving a Santa Fe with a Manual Trans. Thanks and a Happy New Year to all.
  • lpn2rnlpn2rn Member Posts: 8
    I am shocked to be reading all of these messages about the transmission problem, but I am happy to know that I am NOT alone. I noticed the shifting problem about 3 weeks ago ~ when it started getting cold in upstate NY. I thought it was due to the weather so I would start my car extra early and let it warm up. For a while that solved the problem, but now it is shifting hard at low speeds no matter how warm the car gets.
    Here is my concern and understand that I know absolutely NOTHING about cars.... could this have anything to do with me putting a car starter in it? I ask that question because this started shortly after I got that installed.
    Not to worry. The Starter and it's controls are completely separate from the Transmission. The only connection between the two is that the Starter will not function unless the Transmission is in Park (or in Neutral, at least in my Toyota).

When did you get your Santa Fe? The bild Date is on a tag in the driver's door jamb.
    edited January 2011
    I just checked and the build date was 3/31/10. I bought it in June. Thanks for letting me know about the starter. I am calling the dealership first thing in the morning. This should be interesting....
    Also, my problem is when it downshifts between 3rd and 2nd gear. I don't have any problems "up-shifting".
  • chazpazchazpaz Member Posts: 6
    Trying to find out if anyone else has tranny shifting issues with their 2010 Automatic,
    V6 SF.

#1. Rough (jerk) from 2nd to 3rd, especially when first started,

#2. Delayed shift from 3 to 4 . Seems to hang up in 3rd and can take 10-15 mph change
    before it shifts to 4.

Had it to my Dealer twice and after thorough check of all Codes, there was nothing to correct. Was asked if I used the "non ECO" shifting mode and I stated that I new nothing about it.
    After using it for a few weeks, I determined that the issues were still present.

Anyone else experiencing any of this ?
    Had the exact same problems. I had my Santa Fe in 3 times so far for the trans problems. The 3rd time they replaced the transmission and the new one is the same as the old one. Now Hyundai said they need to reprogram the ECU and everything will be fine. They already reprogrammed the ECU. I guess Hyundai refuses to acknowledge that this is a major issue. The dealer is the same as Hyundai and acts like I have the only Santa Fe ever to have a problem. I am sick of the dealer and Hyundai so I am filing a Lemon Law complaint. I have already had mine in for the required 3 repairs for the same problem so I am clear to file the complaint. Have hired an attorney so I will see what happens. I am afraid of getting stuck out on the Hwy some where with a car that will not run. There have been complains of others that the trans locks up and you are stranded. Check out http://www.hyundai-forums.com/f77-cm-2007-santa-fe.htm.
  • rplatnerrplatner Member Posts: 7
    My car had the cold engine - jerk/bang from 1st - 2nd intermittently during the first 7500 miles. At service the ECU was reprogrammed per an official Hyundai service campaign to address this hard shift. Since that reprogramming my car is driving great - and I no longer have to wait to let car warm up in the morning. Clearly people who are on their 3rd transmission have a much more significant problem. I do believe that if I hadn't take my car in for the routine service and reprogramming - that the hard shift would persist, and eventually damage the transmission to the point of being stuck, etc.
    So - just saying - some of these I believe will be fixed by the standard Hyundai service campaign in effect. Those of you that are on 3rd trannny - I certainly would be filing lemon law complaint as well...good luck.
    Okay.. I called my dealership this morning and they scheduled me for TOMORROW morning and they will be giving me a loaner. I think that is great service. When I asked if they have had other complaints about this same issue they were honest and said, "Yes". So far so good. They went on to tell me that most were fixed by computer. From what I am reading on this blog, some do get fixed and some don't. I did have my 7500 mile service done and nothing was said to me about the problem at that time. The problem started for me a short time after that scheduled service.

I will keep you all updated! Wish me luck!
  • chucko6chucko6 Member Posts: 81
    Good luck with the "loaner". My Dealer provided me with a vehicle from Enterprise Rentals. Cost me $ 17.50 for insurance and $5.00 for gas even though I only put 12 miles on it. Was told that Hyundai only pays for the car--- the rest is on you.
    By the way, do you or anyone know what the differences are between the " ECO on" and" ECO off " shifting modes. Not too much info available in the Manual.
    Just saw this today. It is TSB 10-01-051. It's for a firmware update for the V6 only. It's for vehicles brought in for Service, and also for new vehicles prior to delivery. It was released on December 21, 2010.

FYI, to give us all some hope.
    Got my loaner today, 2011 Sonata... BEAUTIFUL! I think I want to keep it. They had my car all day and said that several people drove it and didn't feel what I am talking about. They hooked it up to the computer and said that there aren't any "errors" coming up. They are keeping it overnight to drive it in the morning to see if it is the cold weather. If they still don't feel it, I will drive it with them tomorrow afternoon when I get out of work. I have to say that their customer service is top notch and they are listening to me. More to come tomorrow...
  • chucko6chucko6 Member Posts: 81
    Thanks for the info on the Firmware Update on 12/21.

My last shop visit was on 12/15 so I might assume that the update was not available to the Tech's at that time.

Let's all keep a lookout for this issue and see if it helps the Transmission
    problems.
    Got my car back today ~ NOT HAPPY! They told me that they were unable to duplicate what I was experiencing. So, when I arrived I told them that I wanted someone to ride with me. We were driving and the rough shifting happened. At first, I was told it was normal. Then it happened again and it was worse. The lady's response was, "Yes, I felt that, but it's not happening enough for Hyundai to replace the transmission. Just know that if it were up to me I would tell them to just replace it. You are under warranty after all. Come back in a couple of weeks because I am sure that will get worse and we will look at it again." SO NOT ACCEPTABLE!! I got home and looked at her card... SHE IS A SERVICE CONSULTANT... NOT A TECH NOT A MECHANIC.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?!

Any suggestions??????????
  • geragera Member Posts: 13
    Get her response in writing. Unfortunately, she is very mistaken about it's not happening enough. I've been having that problem since they came out in '01. It really irritates me that they have not solved this transmission problem. Had my tranny replaced March '10. Haven't had any problems with it since '02 when they had replaced it 3x. I was starting to appeal through Lemon Law and then the 3rd one actually was fine and no problems until this year when tranny was rebuilt in its entirety. I was going to purchase a new Santa Fe, but since they still have this problem, I am not going there. Looking at other vehicles at the moment. Good luck. It's very frustrating and I know I'm not helping, but you have to keep after them and keep pushing them until they take care of the problem.
  • widg99widg99 Member Posts: 7
    my santa fe is in the shop now having the trany replaced for the first time, after 3 recodding attempts. when i get it back, if it still continues to not work properly, i'm going to contact omvic. this is an agency that can assist us with this lemon.
    I was at a local auto repair shop today with my daughters car for a oil change. The owner of the shop asked me if my Santa Fe was still having trans problems. He said that the KIA's are having the same problems as my Santa Fe because they have the same transmission as the Santa Fe. Hyundai better get this problem under control soon or they could have the same mess on there hands as Toyota had. It seems that they all deny the problem and try and blame it on the consumer. I think this having to "reproduce the problem" is a bunch of BS. I will make a call to my dealer and ask what they are going to do with my Santa Fe. I already have a new transmission and it has the same problem as the original one. If they give me the "we have to reproduce the problem" BS then I will give my attorney the go ahead to file the Lemon Law complaint. I am so tried of this whole mess. I am afraid to go anywhere out of town as I don't want to get stuck somewhere. I was looking at a Ford Escape last May when I bought this dam Santa Fe and now I sure wish I would have bought the Escape.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    yeah - really don't know what it takes to make something a recall instead of a tsb - they can't handle a fiasco like Toyota can- Toyota has the better reputation...
    I ended up calling another dealer to have my Santa Fe looked at and they gave me such an ATTITUDE! They told me that they will NOT give me a loaner and that they have to reproduce the problem first. I told them that they can ride with me when I get there and he said, "that's not necessary. We know how to do our job." I have NO IDEA what to do now, but the problem isn't going away!!!! UGH! :0(
  • viper14viper14 Member Posts: 24
    Have any Hyundai owner had any experice with the Lemon Law?
  • geragera Member Posts: 13
    Almost. in State of Missouri you have to have the same problem 3x within 1 year for the car to be considered a lemon. Mine was fixed in the nick of time, just a few weeks shy of having to go through the "Lemon Law". The dealer is the one who suggested it to me. Good luck.
  • joe919joe919 Member Posts: 4
    There's still 2010's on some of the dealers lots. We still kind of like them.
    I'm trying to figure if there was a batch of bad ones with the transmission issues built over a certain period? The build date is on a tag inside the drivers side door.
    If any of you guys with the issues wouldn't mind posting your build date, I'd be curious to make this determination.
  • widg99widg99 Member Posts: 7
    My 2010 santa fe was built on jan/28/2010, i've heard on this forum that the production date from oct/09 to jan/2010 are the ones having the most problems. i just got my car back on friday from having a remanufactored tranny installed, although it's not clunking now and shifting better than before, the down shifting is still a problem. i also now have a very noisey engine knock. i've read on other forums about drive shaft problems, front end problems, lock problems etc, if you want my opinion wait for the 2011. i'm now attempting to get hyundai canada involved and take this lemon back, good luck!!!!
    My first 2010 manufacture date was November 2009 after all the issues I had with it my dealer took it back and replaced it with another 2010 Santa fe and the new build date was June 2010 so far it runs way better than my first one I think it had something to do with the build dates from oct to Jan
    Good luck with getting ANY HELP from Hyundai Canada... I am om my 4th transmission in 12,000 kms been without the vehicle for almost 2 months and Hyundai wont give me a service loaner because I insisted that I get a NEW transmission, not a reman one like the first one they put in that lasted about 2 blocks.....

Frozen out in Alberta
    Went to pick up My Sante Fe on Monday, Jan 10th and was told that the transmission case was cracked and it is leaking fluid all over the place... Still no vehicle after 2 months of waiting, 3 payments coming out of my account and not a single response from Hyundai Canada.... worst thing I ever did was buy this Sante Fe... should have went with the Mazda CX7