Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Transmission Problems

Comments

• chucko6chucko6 Member Posts: 81
    If you check on the Transmission Forum page, to the right of Post #442.
    you will find a Header " LEARN MORE, DO MORE"
    There are 6 options below that --- choose" Vehicle Recall Info "
    There you will find several TSB's for the Sante Fe. Unfortunately, most of them refer to a " light staying on "
    This should gave some AMMO for your battle.
    Good Luck!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    If you go to http://www.hmaservice.com and create an account there, you can login and then have access to all the published TSBs for your vehicle.
  • ccpbccpb Member Posts: 6
    thanks, found it.
    10-AT-006
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    Just wondering if Kia information can be found here as well? Thought maybe since Kia is part of Hyundai it might be.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    try this and see if it works for you http://www.kiatechinfo.com/
  • gotshaftedgotshafted Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 4cyl auto trannl dropped out on me 600 miles from home... been a week and still waiting for parts then Hyundai expects me to drive 1200 miles to pick it up and get it home Totally UNREASONABLE !!! Sorry I ever bought from this company.. Customer service is missing the service part :mad: BE aware this tranny has a recall but you will not be noyified if you dont take it to them 4 scheduled maintenance.
  • lpn2rnlpn2rn Member Posts: 8
    I have been dealing with the tranmission "bucking" while downshifting for about 6 months now. I brought it to dealership for the THIRD time two days ago. They tried to fix it with the computer, but it didn't work. I just received a phone call that they are ordering me a factory refurbished transmission. I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing. I guess I am a little nervous taking on what was someone else's problem before!!!!!
  • lynzaylynzay Member Posts: 7
    chucko6:

Say no to the "referbished" transmission and tell them you know of all the problems with the Santa Fe's they are having and you will take nothing less then a brand new one. I luckily did the same thing and made sure that it was brand new and I (knock on wood) have had no further issues.
  • dbqfandbqfan Member Posts: 16
    I now have 13,000 miles on my Santa Fe and the problems still persist. The dealer is not interested in fixing it and neither is Hyundai. I am taking it to all the area dealers and letting them drive it and listen to the loud banging it makes and I am showing them my service records. I am so sick of the Hyundai service and I will never buy a Kia or Hyundai and I am telling everyone I meet of my problems.
  • mike519mike519 Member Posts: 16
    Hold their feet to the fire. Accept no less than being completely satisfied, or use the lemon law. They replaced my transmission at 5000 miles with a brand new one, and now at 12000 miles, I still experience THUDS at start up. Not pleased.
  • diamond22diamond22 Member Posts: 13
    Since my transmission was supposedly replaced in March, I have not had the slamming problem. However, I have noticed that the transmission doesn't shift smoothly. It did lurch one time, but I haven't taken it back to the dealer since they seem to think all the problems are caused when the transmission is cold. I'm glad I don't live in Minnesota. In any case, the transmission seems to not shift smoothly and seems to hang between lower gears when shifting. Also, it lurches when started in park.

I now have a little over 11,000 miles and will start a long trip next week. I don't thing the original problem has been resolved, but don't feel it is bad enough to take back to dealer yet.

I just hope it doesn't quit on me while on a trip somewhere. Stay tuned.
    Seems to be the nature of the beast. You would have thought a new component, ( 6 speed ) when developed, would have been State of the Art.
    Too bad Consumer Reports did not pick up on the problem during their testing or you would have a lot less Sante's on the road today.
  • monkeyboy3monkeyboy3 Member Posts: 2
    My girlfriend and I have just moved to Seattle and are after a car for moutain biking and getting to the mountains and think the Santa Fe fits the bill.

We've found a 2003 2.4l 4 cylinder Santa Fe with 137k on the clock that is listed for $7000 (I think we can haggle down to about $5700). The car seems in pretty good nick.

But I have a couple of concerns that I was hoping you guys could help me with (please excuse my general car ignorance):

1) The coolant level was quite low (are leaks quite common? as long as we keep it topped up is that ok? or is this indicative of something else?)

2) There was a small leak of a red transparent oil coming from approximately the middle of the engine and running along a seam (is this the crank case??). Is this just a bit of engine oil or is transmission oil? I've looked at the reviews on this site and most people love the Santa Fe, but the ones who don't have had problems with the transmission. Is this indicative of a major problem, or is small leak ok and perhaps expected in an older car? I had a look at the engine oil on the dipstick and this seemed to be a similar red colour.

Cheers.
    A Hyuandi that old and with that many miles should go for 2K tops.
    You must remember that their reputation has only improved in rercent years
    and even that is suspect.
    If you want a vehicle that vintage, you should be looking at a Honda or Toyota.
  • bunkyroobunkyroo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Santa Fe. I have not been happy with it siince the day I bought it. The day I bought it the MAP sensor needed replaced. Fine. Then a ball joint. Fine. 2 sets of tires..all in 2 years. Now this past Thursday the car died while in a parking lot going approx 5MPH. I lost all power it just shut off. The check engine code was a crank shaft ignition sensor? So, they replaced that along with a timing belt...the car still will not start. Dealer said unplug the battery for a day to let the computer reset itself. That didnt work either. Any ideas...related incidents??
    I has a friend buy a 2011 Santa Fe and he now has the same problem plus he caught the dealer installing a rebuilt transmission to replace the defective one. I told him not to buy it but the crooked dealer told him that the problem was only on a "few 2010" models. He has files suit and wants his money back. His state has an excellent lemon law so his lawyer who specializes in this stuff that he will get a new car or his money back for sure. PLus his dealer has been sued so many times and that will help. I am filling a law suit againt my crooked dealer for not telling me about the problem before I bought my lemon Santa Fe. The dealer is required to inform any potential buyer of any problems that he has been notified about. I checked and the dealer was notified of the defective transmissions weeks before I bought my Santa Fe. The dealer in Dubuque will have one messy suit on his fat hands. He even advertises how honest he is - wait until this hits the papers - he will look like the sleaze bag that he truly is.
    edited August 2011
    My Hyundai is the absolute worst vehicle that I have purchased in my 50 years of driving. Hyundai finds a way to weasel out of warranty work and the crooked dealer is just as bad. They want to sell not service warranty work. I have a campaign going to inform anyone I see and tell them about my defective Santa Fe and the **** warranty service from Hyundai and the dealer. You would be surprised how many people thanked me as they said they were about to look at a Hyundai. My transmission still makes the banging noise and the service tech said it was not doing it when he drove it. Those [non-permissible content removed] do not believe there own customers and they use that ploy to get out of repairing the vehicle. My lawyer has said that will not hold water in court and I am going to find out. I, by law, should have been informed of the transmission problem and I was not so my dealer is going to court and I can not wait. I want to see that fat dealer sit there and sweat. I want my money back as I will not take another Hyundai or Kia product.
    Not sure if this will help with any of your issues:

Recall ID # 20577 - POWER TRAIN:DRIVELINE:DRIVESHAFT Hide Details
    Recall Date APR 28, 2011
    Component POWER TRAIN:DRIVELINE:DRIVESHAFT
    Model Affected Santa Fe
    Potential Units Affected 6169

Recall Date:
    APR 28, 2011
    Model Affected:
    2010 Hyundai Santa Fe
    Summary:
    HYUNDAI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 SANTA FE 2WD VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS AND 2.4L ENGINES MANUFACTURED FROM OCTOBER 15, 2009 THROUGH MARCH 5, 2010. THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT MAY SUFFER FROM NOISE AND EXCESSIVE WEAR DUE TO A MISALIGNMENT OF THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT WITH THE RIGHT SIDE OUTPUT GEAR. CONTINUING TO DRIVE THE VEHICLE IN THIS CONDITION LEADS TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF A WHIRRING/WHINING NOISE AND CAN EVENTUALLY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.
    Consequences:
    DAMAGE TO THE TRANSMISSION MAY CAUSE LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE RIGHT SIDE OUTPUT GEAR AND INTERMEDIATE SHAFT FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JUNE 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HYUNDAI'S CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER AT 1-800-633-5151.
    Potential Units Affected:
    Notes:
    HYUNDAI MOTOR COMPANY

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2010/hyundai/santa_fe/recalls/index.html#ixzz1N13- 1G5hI
  • geragera Member Posts: 13
    Nice to see they're finally recalling the 2010 models. What about the '01 models. I had the transmission rebuilt (with all new parts) last year and
    it has just started bucking again and won't shift properly. Sticks in 1st can
    kind of jump it so it will boost into 3rd, but that's it. No fluid leakage. I've
    only got 8,000 miles on the 14 month old rebuild. Absolutely sucks!
  • lpn2rnlpn2rn Member Posts: 8
    I got my new transmission, but was back in the shop the next day!! When they replaced my transmission they threw out my alignment ~ front end and rear end! Then they had the balls to try and CHARGE me for it!

I have 21,000 miles on my car... what a POS!
  • tjc90tjc90 Member Posts: 1
    Was having the same problem for the past year. Third time to the dealer. This last time they got it right. ECU update issued May 23, 2011 eliminated the problem. The latest TSB 11-AT-100-1 supersedes TSP 11-AT-011 issued several months ago. Hope this helps.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    That is great news for all of us. You driving a 4 or 6 cylinder? FWD or AWD?
  • tedrik2tedrik2 Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2011
    Just had TSB 11-AT-011-1 performed on my 2010 Santa Fe, V-6 which is supposed to (finally) correct the transmission problems- (hard shift from 2-3- occasional bump when starting in Park). This is the CORRECT TSB bulletin number. I noticed a poster had entered an incorrect update number- 11-AT-001 was issued a few months ago. (it's easy to invert the numbers mistakenly). My tech also used an old update in conjunction, which makes sense (TSB 10-AT-006 which resets the transmission adaptive values).

So far, I have seamless and silky smooth shifts for the first time in the 13 months I've owned this vehicle. Let's hope it lasts and is the REAL CURE!! It would be great if everyone will provide their input after a couple of weeks of driving, after having the TSB procedure. Tedrik
    Could you please double check and restate that TSB number that has corrected your transmission problem. A follow-up by tidrik2 has different info
    and tends to confuse me.
    I still have my doubts about a computer up-date permanently
    correcting a problem with mechanical components.
    Good Luck and keep us informed about the FIX.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    It is TSB 11-AT-011-1. You can check for yourself at www.hmaservice.com

Set up your own account (free) and check on this and lots of other Hyundai Technical info.
    I agree on a computer update NOT fixing a mechanical problem. The only reason, IMO, for the ECU update is possibly that after a year of driving, that possibly the clutchpacks have worn enough to provide sufficient clearance. Remember the problem was insufficient clearances between the clutchpacks when these trannies were manufactured wich caused the "sticking" and "abrupt, rough shifting". Could it be that the ECU update adjusts the shiftpoints to smooth out the shifts due to the POSITIVE wear which created better clutch clearances. We'll know soon enough!!
    edited May 2011
    Unfortunately, from what I read about this update, it deals with the SLAM or BUMP with the vehicle in PARK.
    I have never experienced that event with the Sante in PARK. Mine only occurs while moving between 10-20 mph. I guess I'll go for the latest update and just add it to my " Paper Trail "
    Here's the info direct from the TSB as to covered problems...

 DTC P0748 logic revision (2.4L and 3.5L)
     2-3 shift logic revision (3.5L)
     Logic revision to reduce mild “bump” feeling in Park (does not cause the vehicle to move) after engine start when the vehicle has been parked for several hours (3.5L)

The second point seems like it may apply to you.
  • diamond22diamond22 Member Posts: 13
    Where do I find info on the transmission recall notice for the 2010 Santa Fe V-6 limited. The dealer replaced my transmission, did the ecm updates, etc. when I had about 10k miles. That was about 3 months ago and just started noticing periodic jumps when starting the engine in Park. Feels like it finishes shifting. Thanks for help.
    Not sure if this will help with any of your issues:

Recall ID # 20577 - POWER TRAIN:DRIVELINE:DRIVESHAFT Hide Details
    Recall Date APR 28, 2011
    Component POWER TRAIN:DRIVELINE:DRIVESHAFT
    Model Affected Santa Fe
    Potential Units Affected 6169

Recall Date:
    APR 28, 2011
    Model Affected:
    2010 Hyundai Santa Fe
    Summary:
    HYUNDAI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 SANTA FE 2WD VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS AND 2.4L ENGINES MANUFACTURED FROM OCTOBER 15, 2009 THROUGH MARCH 5, 2010. THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT MAY SUFFER FROM NOISE AND EXCESSIVE WEAR DUE TO A MISALIGNMENT OF THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT WITH THE RIGHT SIDE OUTPUT GEAR. CONTINUING TO DRIVE THE VEHICLE IN THIS CONDITION LEADS TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF A WHIRRING/WHINING NOISE AND CAN EVENTUALLY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.
    Consequences:
    DAMAGE TO THE TRANSMISSION MAY CAUSE LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE RIGHT SIDE OUTPUT GEAR AND INTERMEDIATE SHAFT FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JUNE 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HYUNDAI'S CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER AT 1-800-633-5151.
    Potential Units Affected:
    Notes:
    HYUNDAI MOTOR COMPANY

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2010/hyundai/santa_fe/recalls/index.html#ixzz1N13- - 1G5hI
    PLEASE NOTE-- The current recall is for the 4 cylinder engine only and involves the Drivetrain/Driveshaft.
    Too bad they can't find a cure/update for all of us experiencing transmission problems while the Sante Fe is shifting gears. Your referenced update only applies to slams/pulsations while in PARK ?
    My Dealer won't even attempt that update unless they can duplicate that issue. (in PARK)
    As tenpin288 also explained to you-the update also applies to 2-3 gear rough, abrupt shifts. A good dealer also knows that the slam in Park when starting the vehicle happens infrequently (in my case maybe twice a month and sometimes once in 2 months!). My Dealer, being aware that it is a common problem in the 2010's built within certain dates, took me at my word and applied tsb 11-AT-011-1 which (for now-knock on wood) has cured my hard shift from 2nd-3rd and I have had seamless shifts 11 days now. The other past updates only lasted until I left the dealership! Good luck with your dealer and maybe ask him to call his tech hotline and verify the exact wording/remedies of the TSB.
    Thanks for your thorough explanation. I did quote the 2-3 shifting issue when I made my inquiry but was told the update only applied to the PARK problem.
    I'm going back to the Hyundai Bulletin site and will print the specifics and take with me next time.
    Wish me luck.
    I have decided to trade my 2010 Santa Fe to a local competitive dealer. I had 2 dealers that wanted my Santa Fe as an example to show prospective customers. I am giving them my complete service record to show to customers and any customer can call me as part of the deal. I am getting a new 2011 SUV for almost an even trade. They really want my Santa Fe. I know it will boost there SUV sales if they have a LEMON Santa Fe on the lot to show to customers. Just go to your local dealers and talk to them. I was so sick of the Hyundai dealer and factory rep and there BS service. After 2 transmissions and the present one is worse than all of them. I only have 14K miles on it so it will make a good representation of a Lemon Santa Fe to there SUV customers.
    edited June 2011
    Who is is the competetive dealer? What SUV are you getting for the even trade? Be careful-you may be opening yourself up to slander/libel if you have a written agreement between you and the dealership to specifically SHOW the Santa Fe as a lemon-especially since you did'nt pursue the lemon law with the Hyundai Dealership. Tedrik
  • walker16walker16 Member Posts: 3
    I too have been having a transmission problem. My 2010 Limited has been in the shop nearly every month since Jan. When you are driving about 10 to 20 mph and you give it gas it acts like it is in netural, you get the RPMs but doesn't go and sometimes it just bumps then goes. The dearler was finally able to duplicate the problem last month. They did the newest update about 2 wks ago, but I guess I am going to have to have the transmission replaced. I was driving the other day and it bumped again and still doesn't shift like it should. I also am not getting the gas milage in city or hwy. Your blogs have been very helpful to me. I loved this car when I bought it but after about 5,000 miles the trouble started and now I am worried for my safety.
    Had my '01 transmission rebuilt (after having to use all new parts --mechanic started with a rebuilt '01 tranny) with 8,000 miles on new transmission (warranty expired a month prior) -- having problems again. Does anyone know of a recall on the '01 transmissions or if the fix for the '10 will work on the '01?
    Thanks. Really disgusted with it now.
  • viper14viper14 Member Posts: 24
    Be aware, if you have enough pressure on the brake pedel with your left foot enough turn on the brake lights, the car will not accelerate. According to my dealer service manager it's an aftermath to the Toyota acelleration problem. Course it could be just bull on their part.

I tried it and the car would not move even with the gas pedal all the way down.
    The fix for the 2010-2011, 6 speed tranny would never work in an '01.
    It's a totally different beast.
    Probably time to start looking for something new.
    I only drive wih my right foot. It is either on the brake or gas.
  • viper14viper14 Member Posts: 24
    That's great for you. However, there are some that brake with their left foot. Reaction time is quicker.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    That's great for you. However, there are some that brake with their left foot. Reaction time is quicker.

That's actually a very unsafe way to drive. My son is a large City Cop and has had much training in handling a vehicle for regular driving and High Speed chases and they are trained to never drive like that. Very dangerous expecially in an emergency situation. You may have a differing view point, but the fact is this is backed up by much experience, testing, and research by State and Local police departments.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    Has anyone replaced the 2010 transmission with the refurished? If so have you had any additional problems. My poblem is a bump & sometimes at 10 to 20mph it is like the car is in neutral before it will catch hold and move.
  • dlaurino1dlaurino1 Member Posts: 1
    For all of you out there with shifting problems, go for the lemon law. We were tired of bringing our 2010 in after the transmission was replaced only to hear the they couldn't duplicate the problem. But when we got it home it always happened again. We went thru arbitration thru the BBB. They sided with us so now Hyundai has to give us a new vehicle.
    We are getting a new 2011. Hopefully we will not have the same problems. We will keep our fingers crossed. If so we will trade it in and never, never buy a hyundai again. We didn't have a problem with our dealership we have a problem with hyundai's attitude. They tried to make us out to be the bad guy and not willing to admit there was a serious problem with the car.
  • ladydemonsialadydemonsia Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 Hyundai Sana Fe GLS with 130K. It has the 2.7L V6 with automatic transmission with auto stick. On the highway my car downshifted and refused to accelerate. Once off the highway it downshifted and stopped fine, but wouldn't shift up from 2nd to 3rd automatically. I tried to manually shift and it worked just fine shifting up and down gears although there was a little stutter in 1st (like it was starting in 2nd). I got where I was going and parked it for several hours and when I started it to return home, everything worked fine. No issues with shifting or stutter in first. No check Engine light came on, but I'll have my husband scan it just in case. He thought it might be a faulty speed control sensor. The auto store list 2 different parts for my car, will I need both or just one (which one? Dorman 917-606 & 607). Is there anything else that can cause this irratic behavior?
    Sounds like Sante is approaching the end of the line. I wouldn't trust any vehicle with 100K+, especially Hyundai. My 2010 will be long gone before that number.
    Wish I could help, but all I can tell you is that after 160K miles on my '01 Santa Fe GLS same transmission, etc., my tranny went out, was rebuilt and then rebuilt again with new parts. It lasted 8,000 more miles (drove it a lot fewer miles in 14 months) hoping to make it last. Now at 168K miles, it is sitting in the driveway because I'm afraid the tranny is going out on it again with all the bucking and jerking, not upshifting from 2nd to 3rd, only way I could get it to move on the interstate was to bump it up into neutral and then get it back into drive ASAP before I got run over. Too bad HYUNDAI will not address the problems that have been escalating in their Santa Fe's since they came out in 2001. I used to love my car. Good luck! You're going to need it.
  • shadesofgrayshadesofgray Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks,

I recently brought my Santa Fe back from a dealer for the second time. The transmission lurches and jerks like a junk truck. The dealership says nothing is going to be done about it. I have 5 more years to go on my powertrain warr and they will do nothing. What good is it to act like you have a warrenty and yet expect me to ride around with the car jerking and lurching. Clearly a bad transmission that they are to cheap to replace. I guess I have no option but legal course. Beware!!
    Get it in writing that "nothing is going to be done about it" and watch them squirm when you take it to BBB, Consumer affairs, local news etc. Is this a 2010? Have they applied any of the TSB's to try to help you? That's something that Hyundai Corporate would direct them to do via their Tech Support division. The last TSB has (so far) solved my problem (rough, jerky shifting). I have been getting smooth-seamless shifts for 3 weeks now. The previous TSB's would only last a few minutes after I left the dealership! I still have the ocassional bump (very soft and reduced-the tsb states it will "reduce" not eliminate the mild bump when starting the vehicle in PARK).
    My Dealership has been supportive and actually listens to the customer!