Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Tires and Wheels

patpat Member Posts: 10,421
Talk about your Azera's footwear here!

Comments

• cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    One change to the 2007 Azera was the fitting of a spacesaver spare. While saving a little weight, it saved Hyundai a bunch of money. The aluminum matching wheel and the Michelin tire have to be worth $300-500 retail. The tire alone is about $200 at the Tire Rack. Having the identical tire means that at replacement time, you only need to buy 3 new tires ( using the best of the used ones as the spare ).

Those Michelin tires are V-speed rated, which although academic to most of us, allows the top speed of 145 MPH ( no speed limiter like many competitors )

Both the 2006 and 2007 utilize LED taillights and brakelights, which in addition to the styling benefit, light about a half second quicker than incandescent ones. That may mean the difference between being rearended or not.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Hyundai, having a deal with Michelin (that's what on every car they sell here in the U.S., except for the Tiburon) does not pay the $200/tire.

However, I am so glad that I have the '06 that came with the full size, matching spare tire!!! ;) I just can't stand those space saving donuts.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    are the goofiest little things I've seen automotive in a while. I'm glad my '01 Kia Sportage 4x4 has a full-size spare and that its mounted on the back.

Good design, me thinks. ;)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    By the way, if, when they rotate your tires, you want the full-sized spare to be included, you have to ask, otherwise they'll just rotate the four on the ground...
    Yeah...I know they can. However, for me...it's a non-issue I only have them on during winter months.
  • wardswards Member Posts: 17
    Rotating Tires
    I was advised by my Dealer not to include the full size spare in the rotation as they only rotate front to back and always on the same side.
    This was the same on my last vehicle and it had a full size spare and the tires were not the directional type. Wards.
  • pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    I'm glad I bought an 06 Azera. I hate space saver spares. By the way, I replaced the tires on my 02 XG with Falken Ziex. I was very happy with those tires. I liked the tread pattern much better, it seemed to displace water better than the Michelins that came on it and they just had a cooler looking tread pattern.
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE:69
    If you check your owners manual there are recommended patterns for 4 and 5 tire rotations. If you do not use your spare and change your tires to a different brand or style, the spare surely won't give the same ride as the driving tires.
    If you use the spare only for emergencies and return the drive tire after repair, you are probably better off with the donut spare.
    RE: 189
    Sounds good!
    The great thing about these computers is that they can sense problems that a tech. would have to guess at.
    My Azera seems to perform better as time goes by and miles build up. I now have 16 k and the car seems to improve.
    I find that the drive is very sensitive to tire air pressure. When I keep it at 30 psi it handles the best.
    I find that I must adjust the air pressure at least once a month. Maybe more.
  • usfarbuo1usfarbuo1 Member Posts: 35
    I had to add air this past winter but, of course, I live in Massachusetts.I find every winter here I have to check the air presure every month. it is due to the cold weather but this year it was warmer than usual. The Azera has Michelin tires and I've always had Michelins on my cars but I have noticed over the years I do have to add air. But it is worth it because in the end I find I can usually put 50,000 miles on a set of tires. Of course with this Azera I have the lifetime warranty for tires if I keep it long enough.
    Hopefully, Spring can't be far behind here.
    RE: 192
    I'm not familiar with the lifetime warranty on tires.
  • drdonrsdrdonrs Member Posts: 164
    RE:192
    I'm not familiar with it either. It was always my understanding that the tires have a limited warranty. :confuse:
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    REF: 192
    I'm a prospective azera buyer and was curious as to which michelin tires come standard on the azera. is there a different tire offered on the 2 trim lines? As far as a air pressure goes, you should check it at least monthly but especially in winter when normal leaks are more common.
    I too have NEVER heard of a lifetime warranty on tires. I've heard of road hazzard warranties and in most cases, if the tire can't be repaired...then it's replaced at a pro-rated cost to the buyer.

When temps get really cold, you almost have to check tire pressure weekly. There is a certain point where colder temps cause pressure to drop inside a tire. However, that's if it stays consistenly COLD.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now...spring is here!!!
    As far as I know, the Michelin tires are offered on all trim levels of the Azera. I know my '06 Azera came with the Energy MXV 4's.

The Michelin website shows both the Energy MXV 4 as well as the Pilot XGT H4 for the SE.
  • pigmypigmy Member Posts: 11
    While we are on the subject of tires - I asked the dealer to upgrade my spare to a full size tire which they agreed to do for $400 extra. That included a matching rim and they would not price a steel rim for me. I pick up my Azera this afternoon and will proceed to Discount tire and get a cheap aluminum alloy rim and tire for less than $200.(Discount does not sell steel rims for the Azera) In the Southwest and mountainous states like Colorado it is insane to have a donut for a spare. One reason I started looking at larger cars was the Camry can no longer fit a full size spare in the tire well. Avalon has a full size spare as standard equipment and lists it under safety features - my sentiments exactly. I hope Hyundai gets the message. (I offer the donut to anyone that will pay for shipping)
    RE: 198
    You might find that some tire dealers will give you a trade in value for the new donut spare.
    I don't know if they changed the dimensions of the spare wheel well on the '07 models, but my '06 can fit a 20" wheel with a 245/35-20 tire on it with no problem. You're right...nothing like having a matching full sized spare tire!!!
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    There is not a lifetime warranty on the tires, one could only wish lol. It is the limited type warranty we are all familiar with.

My 07 Limited came with Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 's. $195ea. at Tire Rack. So far, 5000 mi. I love this tire, all types of weather, noise, and even wear to this point.

My 02 Hyundai XG 350L also came with Michelin Energy MXV4's (but a slightly different model) and they were the worst tire I ever owned. Replaced at just over 20,000 mi.
    I note that one eBay seller currently has a set of four OEM 17" wheels with Michelins, currently at a starting bid of $550 or a "buy-it-now" of $700, shipping is $150.

Hmmm, if you like the OEM Michelins well enough, buy the set of four wheels/tires, and when it's time to replace your current rubber, you effectively wind up with a set of four 17" wheels for free!... :surprise:
    Actually not a bad idea, except I wouldn't want them to sit around for two years. If I was going to alternate snow tires with the factory tires, I think it would be a GREAT idea. However, I have been very pleased with them in snow and ice.

The Azzy's ESC and traction control have made me decide I don't need snow tires. Being easily able to use the Shitronic to start out in 2nd also helps.
    Having a 2nd set of tires is nice. I didn't take my aftermarket ones off this winter as we didn't get hit that badly. However, next winter...I will take them off around November and put the factory wheels and tires back on till about March. Saves on having to buy tires so quickly!

The couple times we did get snow and ice here, I turned the ESC off and, like you, shifted in to 2nd to start out.
    Make that a ShiFtronic. Need to do more spell checking lol. I actually use it quite a bit in the hills.
    Actually, and I have it in writing, the dealer will replace the tires when worn out with the same tires that were on the car when I bought it.This was a special last year when the Azeras were not selling all that well. I probably won't have the car for 50,000 miles (that is what I estimate when I would need the tires replaced) since I have retired and now only put on about 12 or 13 thousand miles a year. I usually trade in a car every three to four years. But it was certainly a strong selling point back then.
    RE:206
    Great deal! I assume that it was your dealer only promotion.
    ... has a little over three hours to go, no bids as yet and it's at $550 w $150 shipping. Evidently someone went chrome and different tires on their new Azzy... I'm tempted, but I'm also having my house painted and I'm not sure i want to spend th' bucks. Besides, I'd have to clear space in my garage, a MAJOR undertaking... :shades:
    RE; 19
    If anyone is interested in a pair of 17" Azera Limited alloy wheels,with about 150 miles on them feel free to email me.
  • pigmypigmy Member Posts: 11
    I looked at the 07 Prius and Camry Hybrids and wrote them off for having lead acid batteries in the trunk and not having room for a full size spare. I then asked a dealer salesman on the phone about the regular Camry and was told they could not fit a full size tire in the tire well. I asked what I was supposed to do with the full size flat tire if I had a trunk full of luggage and kids in the back seat - leave my first born on the side of the road to make room? No answer. Considering the IQ of car salespersons (I just had a bad experience when I picked up my Azera yesterday) the phone conversation is certainly not conclusive on the Camry. Anyone know if this is accurate.
    RE:206 Actually, I went to two dealers to shop for my Azera and both of them had the "free tire" promotion. I don't know if it only in this particular area (within 25 miles of Boston) at the time or if it was widespread. That certainly is a good perk especially if one is going to keep a car for a long time.
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    Exchanged the OEM 17" with the same in Chrome at a local tire dealer. Here is the math:
    4-chrome exchange: $525.00
    7.25% tax: 38.06
    Balance 4 @ $8.00 32.00
    Nitrogen inflation 12.00
    OTD: $607.06

Looks sweet / rides even better.
  • altazeraaltazera Member Posts: 51
    the email service is down. I was planning to buy a 2nd set of rims for winter tires. Can you email me at brianmc40@hotmail.com ?

thanks
    Brian
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    Bob, can you be more specific about "flatspots"? I sense a sort of "trembling" with my car, similar to what one would experience with seriously over-inflated tires. It is more apparent just starting out, and my car has about 2600 miles on the clock, having been purchased in September, '06. The front end doesn't seem to be out of alignmnent, nor do the tires show the characteristics of being out of balance. The sensation is almost like there is something attached to a portion of each front-end tire which I can feel with each revolution....Also, who diagnosed your problem, and how was it done? Thanks.....
    I can give you my experience (post from altazera).

When I test drove my azera limited in Edmonton alberta, there was a feeling of tires being "out-of-round" that became a shimmy (shaking) at higher speeds. Flat spots are common in large truck tires in cold weather. It was cold in Edmonton (Feb 07) and the car was manufactured in Feb a year earlier (06). It obviously had been sitting in one spot for too long. I told the sales rep that I would purchase the car if they solved the shimmy problem. After a full day of trial and error, which included balancing and re-balancing wheels, and swapping wheels with the other 3 azeras left at the dealership. The day I purchased the car it was much warmer and the flat spots were noticeable, but much better. The service manager said that after a few hundred miles it should go away. needless to say it didn't and got much worse with time as the weather got colder.

It is particularly bad when starting out, after being parked overnight in cold weather. 7,000 kilometres later it is still noticeable as a shimmy (shaking) on the highway.

I have been battling with Michelin and the dealer ever since. Last week I finally got approval and the claim forms to have a local Michelin dealer replace all 4 tires. Michelin also replaced all of the tires on the other 3 cars at the dealership. However, Hyundai and Michelin are still battling over who is at fault. The dealer says it is related to a combination of the particular tires and shipping and storage procedures by Hyundai.

I have not received the tires yet.

The clunking in the front right suspension is my next issue!

Brian
  • chiefloadchiefload Member Posts: 31
    I read in this forum that the cars are usually shipped with OVER-inflated tires just to avoid this type of situation and that test-drives with the overinflated tires made the ride un-Azera like.

Since I live quite a bit more south, yet still have to contend with snow a few times a year, I was wondering what your experience has been with driving the Azera in the snow (and it is supposed to snow here in Virginia this weekend too!!!)
    The first thing I did with my car was to reduce the tire pressure from 40 psi to 31 psi. It improved the ride but didn't make any difference to the shimmy (shaking).

I am very impressed with the traction and control in winter conditions, and I am using the original all-season Michelins.

Next Fall I plan to purchase 4 bridgestone blizzaks tires and mount them on extra rims. Most people around here use Blizzaks or good studded snowtires. Good winter tires are critical for minimizing stopping distance on ice and snowpack. Traction is secondary.

My other vehicle (wife's) is a 1999 Volvo XC v70. With AWD and snow tires it is amazing. It can actually plow snow until it powers out! The Azera isn't that good but it is better than any other vehicle I have driven. And I have driven many 4 x 4 's.

I suspect you won't need anything more than the factory tires in Virginia. But watch your tire pressure!
    Here's some of the info in post #172 (page 10) of this thread, referring to a TSB that may be of help:

CHASSIS
    06-50-013
    DECEMBER, 2006

TIRE AND WHEEL VIBRATION AND RADIAL FORCE VARIATION

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TSB# 01-50-008 TO INCLUDE ADDITIONAL
    INFORMATION.
    NOTE: Each wheel and tire assembly is precision balanced and force match mounted before the vehicle leaves the assembly line. Dealers should not alter the dynamic balance of any wheel unless a customer describes experiencing a tire/wheel vibration condition.

DESCRIPTION:
    A customer may describe a steering wheel vibration or "shimmy" condition in the vehicle. Sources of vibration/shimmy may be from the following conditions:
    1. Wheel and tire assembly out of balance
    2. Wheel out of round
    3. Tire assembly stiffness variation (Radial Force Variation or RFV)
    thanks

I did read that TSB. My problem was complicated by the fact that it was identified before I purchased the vehicle and therefore not really a warranty issue. Also the day after I took delivery I started driving across the country from Alberta to Newfoundland.

The local Hyundai dealer (Nfld) refused to deal with Michelin because of problems in the past. I had to find a local Michelin dealer who was willing to do the job for me. I ended up finding a Michelin truck tire dealership that helped me out.

As others have mentioned on this board, Hyundai's service is very poor, and they tend to know little about the Azera. When I purchased mind I was pointing out lots of features that the sales manager was completely unaware of. I have a feeling I will be doing most repairs and adjustments myself, and only using the warranty for major acknowledged items. :(
    The bad reputation of the Azera tires and front end problems must be having an impact on sales in Canada. Most dealers still have several 2006 Azeras on hand and Hyundai has not delivering any 2007's until the inventory is reduced.

They are currently offering $5,000 cashback for the 2006 Azera (trading dollars).

I hope they acknowledge and provide a solution to the right front end problem that plaques many of the early 2006 production models.
  • jim101jim101 Member Posts: 252
    FYI,

Tire balancing, four wheel alignments and any other thing that requires 'ADJUSTMENT' is 100% covered by HMC for the first 12 months from the date of purchase.

Note: Most dealers are unaware and will try to charge you. You have to tell them and even then may may balk. That is when you call HMC CA. and get the approval from HMC HQ's.

Since posting about tightening lower strut mounting bolt and tightening frame/body mounts the 'clunk' has totally vanished.

Good luck
    Any car with front wheel drive, traction control, and all season tires with good tread will do acceptably well in light to medium snow. That said, my wife did complain about the Azera's snow prowess ( she's never driven anything with that type of power in the snow ).

I found it acceptable in the snow except that the wide tires will plow at times, instead of cutting through the snow. For Virginia, you should be OK, just take it easy.

We have since put the original tires on chrome aftermarket wheels ( 17 inch to retain the great ride ) and have mounted Michelin Alpin snows onto the stock wheels. We live in Michigan.
  • chiefloadchiefload Member Posts: 31
    Grew up in Switzerland where we religiously changed from 'summer' to 'winter' tires (or studded ones, called 'spikes' overthere, with the appropriate reduction in max allowed speed and highway ban if memory serves me right) and v.v. but not here in Va. You're right, really no need, especially since the VDOT snow plows are out and ready (and the schools cancel!) if there seems to be the slightest chance of snow accumulation.
    Where did you get the chrome rims? and how much did they cost?
    Denver here. We had a record amount of snow this winter. I got my 07 Azzy in the middle of a bad snowstorm Nov 06. It is so good in snow and ice with original tires, the ESC, and traction control, that I decided not even go to snow tires. My other car is an Explorer 4x4 and I have studded snows on it.
    Previously, I had studded snows on my 02 Hyundai XG350L. It was fantastic on snow and ice, but I think I can save the money on the Azera and still feel pretty good in bad conditions (and I have been on a LOT of snow and ice this winter).
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    re: 382: My experience, (pasted below) in CA may be of general interest to you.

23 of 24 Chrome OEM wheels by dborth Mar 31, 2007 (10:46 am)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Exchanged the OEM 17" with the same in Chrome at a local tire dealer. Here is the math:
    4-chrome exchange: $525.00
    7.25% tax: 38.06
    Balance 4 $8.00 32.00
    Nitrogen inflation 12.00
    OTD: $607.06

Looks sweet / rides even better.
    The wheels are Zinik, 17 x 7 1/2 with 40mm offset, from Tire Rack. This is a fairly common size and is available at many places. Take care to get the proper offset, and be advised that weight is important. The Ziniks were about the lightest at 23 pounds each, and were $900 delivered to the house. Add about $80 for mounting and balancing.

You can go to 19 or 20 inch for great looks, but they will be heavier and will require new tires, too, at over $200 each. The ride will suffer due to higher weight and lower sidewalls. The performance tires in the 19 and 20 inch sizes will probably not be as quiet as the original equipment Michelins, either.
    The original Michelins are awefully noisy, so I definitely will not go with larger rims. I'm actually starting to think that i should go with 16" rims for my winter tires.

thanks

i now have lots of info, but my options here in eastern Canada are limited.

Brian
    Can you elaborate on your experience with the Alpins? compared to the original Michelins. I am especially interested in stopping distance and control.
    thanks
    Brian
    On dry winter pavement the Alpins are quiet and smooth riding with a rubber compound that stays softer in cooler temps. They stop and corner about as well as the original tires, but that softer compound doesn't wear as well.

On snow and ice, they are much better than OEM, and cheaper also. Although, as to miles per dollar cost, my hope is that they will be about the same.
    your dealer doesn't know much about tires. The Michelin Energy tire are NOT uni-directional. They should be rotated in teh pattern indicated in the manual as Floridabob indicated.
  • akoni1akoni1 Member Posts: 35
    My new Azera has wheel locks for the Michelins. Four lug nuts are in the the glove box along with a reference to a special tool for removing the locks, but I can't find the tool. Any help out there. I will,of course, check this out with the dealer but my sick wife is my main concern right now.