Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• vunico1vunico1 Member Posts: 1
    The breaks on Montero's, from what i've read and experienced, wear out very fast. I want to increase my breaking power and hopefully, increase the life of my pads.

Two questions:

Will larger aftermarket breaks increase break life (i'm pretty sure they would increase breaking power)?

Does anyone have any recommendations for after market breaks or websites where I can get breaks for my 03 Montero?

Any information is very much appreciated!

m.

PS - i love my monty
  • mujmanmujman Member Posts: 29
    As I have just put in a DVD player in my 2004 montero by CircuitCity which required to install a RF antenna, I saw the Radio/CD removal process. You have take the screws from top of the plastic/wood cover and pull/pry out the plastic ( wooden texture) portion on top of the radio with a flat screw driver carefully so that you do not scratch it. Then simply remove 2 bolts ( or 4 bolts, I do not remember) are holding the radio. Disconnect the Antenna connection from the back and the power connection. It's very easy as long as you can take the top cover off carefully. You may have to unscrew the Airconditioning unit and simply put screw it back to remove the radio.
  • mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    Are you gonna do it yourself or have a local shop do the brake upgrade? A local shop can give you tons of free info. Amazingly, autozone.com has a great do it your self section.

I assume that you are planning to increase rotor size as well.

A few sites of interest are:
    autopartswarehouse.com
    tirerack.com
    ebcbrakes.com

My wife's 04 received new brake pads last month with 30K on the odometer. I had the work done a local shop and had the pads upgraded to a "lifetime ceramic pad" because of how quickly the Monty eats them. Basically, they replace the pads for the life of the vehicle at no additional charge. Of course, I'll have to pay for having the rotors resurfaced (or replaced) when needed.

good luck
  • curt56curt56 Member Posts: 1
    I need to change the oil pump on my 97 montero sport and am wondering how difficult it will be.
    thanks

dealer wants 950.00
  • ruddneckruddneck Member Posts: 23
    Have you had your oxygen sensors checked or replaced?
  • 96montero96montero Member Posts: 1
    The driver’s side power window on my 96 Montero has started to act erratically. It is down now, and won’t go back up. Could be the switch obviously, but also seems like there may be some adjustment inside the door that limits or controls its range. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, the switch looks like one block, do I have to replace the whole block? Where is best place to get one? Thanks!
  • unit319unit319 Member Posts: 2
    So what was the answer to your question on the radio. Does disconnecting the antenna and and power supply and pulling the radio out do the trick. or is there something else you have to do to reset the radio from the "Off" back to the "code screen so I can try to re-enter the correct code.
  • unit319unit319 Member Posts: 2
    HOW TO GET THE "OFF" THAT IS DISPLAYED ON THE RADIO AFTER YOU HAVE ENTER THE CODE WRONG 3 TIMES AND BACK TO THE "CODE" DISPLAY. THE ANSWER I FOUND WAS AT THIS SITE. I DO NOT REMEMBER WHO POSTED THE ANSWER BUT IT WORKED. YOU TURN THE IGNITION KEY TO AUX POSITION AND TURN THE RADIO ON. LEAVE BOTH ON FOR APPROXIMATELY AN HOUR AND THE RADIO WILL RESET FROM THE "OFF" TO "CODE" DISPLAY. HOWEVER I DID NOT FIND THE CODE ON THE BACK OR TOP OF MY RADIO. THE OWNERS MANUAL SAID THERE SHOULD BE 2 CARDS THAT COME WITH THE VEHICLE AND THEY HAVE THE CODE FOR THE RADIO ON THEM. IF YOU Don't HAVE THOSE CARDS YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CONTACT A DEALERSHIP AND THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET YOUR ODE FOR YOUR VEHICLE. I WAS LUCKY I FOUND MY CARDS.
  • dannyprodannypro Member Posts: 1
    We replaced the battery on our monty and cant find the owners manual with the radio code.
    Called mitsubishi and they said to get the serial and part # on the back of radio.
    Does anyone know how to get the radio/cd player out of the 01 montero sport.
    I am not a mechanic and dont want to screw it up as my wife drives it and she has been without music for 2 weeks
    Not good in Nashville.
    Thanks
    Danny in Nashville
  • pwinn1pwinn1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Yukon Denali. The drivers side window rattles when it is 1/2 way down. Any suggestions?
  • pwinn1pwinn1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Yukon Denali. When I excelerate, it seems very loud. Any suggestions?
  • rainblue98rainblue98 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '01 montero sport and I love it. It has over 90000 miles on it. Last time I had a full maintainance done was in 2004 and they didn't change the timebelt (for cost purposes). I am a graduate student and $$ is little low. The montero has been making some strange noise when I reverse, it's the breaks!! I took it to the shop and I was quoted an extremely high price. How hard is it to change the rotor and the breaks yourself? what is the muscle power and time commitment (for an average female)? I changed oil a couple of years back with my dad.
    Check this link below for CD changer -

https://www.mitsubishiparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/25_37/products_id/125/osC- sid/011c50ad5684abe4e867225cde56caf4
  • hbuhbu Member Posts: 1
    Got the same story "replace 4 solenoids". I had my dealer replace just the freewheel solenoid and this cured the flashing light problem. Thanks for your information.
  • jaredloves90jaredloves90 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. It has a 109000 miles on it and i love it, i just have these 2 problems with it but i dont know what they are, the first one is that everytime i just drive my car a little bit down the road, this burning smell comes from the engine, no smoke its just a burning smell. ANNYY CLUE WHAT IT COULD BEEEE..also when im driving down the road i can here a slight grinding noise from my left front tire..ANNYYYYYY ANSWERSSS WOULD BE HELPFULLLLLLLLLLL
  • dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    You most likely have a cam seal oil leak. they are located on the back of the engine head. Hard to see. Need to fix.

The grinding noise on the front wheel could be a disc brake issue or front axle hub bearing.
    Thank your for that information, i figured i had a oil leak bc it smells like burning oil, why do i need to fix that, will that cause my oil to drain out faster?
    Oil leaking from the head could cause a fire, if engine gets extremely warm or oil drips onto exhaust. Also, others have reported other parts failing due to oil getting on them. Alternator for example.
    Oh okay thank you so much for the information, i plan on getting rid of it in the next couple months because i want something better on gas, so im not going to bother getting it fixed. I plan on getting the 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse. Thank you for all the help
    Recently my montero sport 2001 has been running funny when i first start it up, its sputtering and shaking, any idea what this could be??
  • nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    i have the same problem with a 2001 montero sport. i am trying to change the fuse, but can't find the correct fuse box. the manual shows that 2 fuse boxes in the passenger compartment, and the fuse that i need to get to is in the box i can't find. Or if anyone can tell me where the correct fuse is, that might be easier. Thanks for the help.
    On my 2001 Montero Sport, there is a button calle A/T Mode. Does anyone no what this button means or does or what is it for?? when i push it alls it says is HOLD. What does this button do??
    It starts the transmission in 2nd gear. For icy,snowy, slick road conditions.
  • weldweld Member Posts: 1
    under the fender cover
  • gfwynngfwynn Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Montero Sport and had to replace the battery. I have the code to restart my radio but do not know how to enter it. Any suggestions?
    mujman, did you ever get an answer to your problem? I have the same problem and can't figure out how to enter the code. I need help because it is just tooo quiet in my car! Thanks, gwynn
    Hey gfwynn - I think my name came up mistakenly as I own a Montero Limited not a Montero Sport. But fixing the radio problem can be same- this is what you have to do for Montero Limited Radio fix - it may work for your car as well -
    Some radio codes are on top of the radio, and can be seen by removing the fascia trim (aka bezel) surrounding the radio - often you can read the number without having to pull the radio out at all. Usually the surrounds pop off with a butter knife and removing some screws from the fascia.
    Thanks! I was able to get the radio going and it is sooo nice to have music! I appreciate your response. I was at my wits end trying to figure this out. Thank you! :shades:
  • dketurahdketurah Member Posts: 2
    6731 is the code
  • dketurahdketurah Member Posts: 2
    Try using the numbered buttons to enter 6731, then press AM/FM...it should come right on. You can also take the radio out and get the serial numbers, call a dealership and they will give you a code.
  • tfeimstertfeimster Member Posts: 1
    I need a radio code for a 1999 montero sports utility. The radio is mounted in the dashboard. The radio is not working because it needs a code to unlock it, can somebody please help me with this?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • ezra21ezra21 Member Posts: 1
    hey, i am having troubles with my radio as well..... is 6731 a standard code????
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    Most likely when the timing belt failed, it bent some valves. Check the compression in each cylinder, must be above 100psi in each cylinder in order to run. I'm assuming that you have already checked your alignment marks on everthing with the #1 cylinder at TDC. If you have a zero compression reading in any cylinder, yup....you probably bent some valves.
    If the engine is running ritch, check your air filter first to see if it is clogged. If not, my guess would be a bad TPS (throtle positioning sensor) causing the staggering as you acelerate. This will also cause high emissions by not alowwing a smooth acceleration. If you need to know how to check it, let me know. Good luck
    Sounds like the suspension isn't supporting the vehicle like it used to. You might try some "helper springs" at jcwhitney...$29. thats cheeper than replacing suspension parts. And it usally solves the problem. Good luck
  • chase7317chase7317 Member Posts: 1
    the tranny works fine in forward but has no reverse is there a sensor that could be bad it acts as if it not even tring to go into gear
  • eltomonieltomoni Member Posts: 1
    I think I have a dead squirrel inside the fan enclosure. Therefore I need to know how to take it apart in order to get that thing dead out of my system.
    Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.
  • cadr333cadr333 Member Posts: 2
    How do you reset the computer on a 1996 mitsubishi montero after replacing throttle positioning sensor
    You should be able to reset the PCM by disconecting the negative cable to the battery. There is a chance you may have to use a scan tool on that year, I can't remember. If you do, Autozone has loan a tool so you can do it.
  • meand3girlsmeand3girls Member Posts: 1
    I don't want to sound stupid but my 1997 montero sport wont start after two years. I have a good spark from my spark plugs and a good battery (new). any ideas on how to fix it?
  • smurphy1smurphy1 Member Posts: 2
    can i replace my spark plugs with out going to the shop and has any one thryed to replace the intake manifold be for I know that there has to be some thing better then what is on there
    My 2001 Montero Sport has recentaly been raddeling in the front by the fan. Its getting louder and louder everyday and gets even louder when in drive. Any idea on what it could be??Also when switching to drive or reverse a loud grinding noise occurs when shifting into those gears. Any idea what the loud noise could be?
    How many miles are on it?

Rattling noise - sounds like you need to open the hood a take a peek.

Grinding noise - transmission problems, a fluid change might fix it, but I doubt it. Any transmission shop will usually provide you with a free estimate after they test drive it.
    There is 110,000 Miles on it, it sounds like the rattlings coming from behind the fan and in front of the belt, i dont know what it is, yah from time to time the transmission will slip going in to 3rd or 2nd gear.
    That noise could be anything from an empty beer can to a fraying belt :) Maybe the mechanic could take a look at that while he is diagnosing your transmission. Good luck.
  • avieraaviera Member Posts: 2
    Howdy, I am currently having the same problem with the outside mirrors. I like to check the fuse boxes but not sure which box has the bad fuse (engine or passenger compartment), did you ever resolve your problem? was it the fuse? which box? which fuse? - Thanks - All Thumbs
  • usairfousairfo Member Posts: 5
    I had the dealer look at it. they replaced the fuse but I don't know which one.
  • maroonmontymaroonmonty Member Posts: 5
    i have blown the speaker in the front passenger door of my 2001 Montero - Ltd. I think by taking the door panel off I can gain access to the speaker. This is the small speaker at the top of the door at the window post. Problem is I do not see how to take the panel off. There are what appear to be two screw covers in the top half of the door panel. I assume i can pop those off (are they replaceable or will i have to buy new?) and then unscrew the two screws. Is that all that is holding the panel in place? Does anyone else know what i will encounter on my way to remove the speaker?

can anyone recommend a repair manual that will show how to do "simple" task such as this?
    You can purchase a Haynes Auto Repair Manual from most any auto parts store. It will provide you with the info that you're looking for. They typically cost around $20. Also, consider purchasing the speakers from Crutchfield. They will include a detailed graphic and instructions with your purhchase.