Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• musi_ocimusi_oci Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I have 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited, I would like to change automatic transmission filter, but I do not know original part number. I want to buy filter on´-line. Do you know anybody OEM part number for it? Thank you very much.
  • seabitseabit Member Posts: 1
    The sunroof motor now makes a thumping noise. The roof is wide open, maybe farther back than normal and will not close. Motor sounds like something is slipping - like gears or something. How do I get to the motor?
  • new2bmw535new2bmw535 Member Posts: 5
    Need help in removing the upper glove compartment from a 2001 Montero. I removed the screws on the sides, the ones by the latch on the top and the one in the back. It still seems hooked to something on the top that keeps me from being able to pull it all the way out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    might I ask what you are intending ta do after pulling your 2001 Mitsubishi Montero's glovebox out?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I need to replace it after the latch mechanism failed.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    now I wish I knoew how ta help you. Someone hopefully will come on here who knows how to help.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    Try removing the lower glove box first. (You'll need to register at the site) These post from the following forum will help:
    http://www.mitsubishi-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=40773&hl=glove

good luck
  • levocslevocs Member Posts: 1
    This just happened to my 2002 limited that I JUST bought last week. Nice. Hopefully the dealer will still fix it for free, but not sure.

Anyways, I've prepared to fix it myself and it seems do-able.

To get to the motor, you have to remove the headliner which will require you to remove your sun visors, ceiling handles etc. Everything that is obviously screwed into the headliner needs to come off. From what I've read, this should expose the motor assembly.

Good luck! Let me know what you find. Any other problems with your Montero that I should look out for?
  • cherokeedoncherokeedon Member Posts: 1
    hey guys same problem, 2001 montero I got, but not irractic speedometer,(Have not replaced the instument panel yet) gauge shows it gets hot when driven but does not, replace all sensors replaced, waterpump,thermostat,and a new radiator! and it did not need none of those things,very expensive endevor to correct the problem!!! and still did not do it, they said only thing left was to repace the radiator, and now that did not work, now they want me to spend another $600 for the entire instrument panel, I could have bought another car or suv that worked for the ammount I have spent on trying to find problem! think Mitz should do a recall and or reimburse us! owners! all this going to do is make us buy American again.
  • igorvekslerigorveksler Member Posts: 4
    Cherokeedon, as I posted in my previous post, I have had the identical issue with the temp gauge. I had the car checked out and it was determined that it was not overheating even though the gauge showed it did. The solution was to replace the entire instrument panel. It cost me $600 at the dealer. You can buy aftermarket panel, BUT, you best to make sure you know what you are doing, Its like replacing a motherboard in your PC. The dealer had to send my panel off to some site so they could "transfer" the data (read odometer readings) from old panel to new. They told me it is required by law, I think its bunch of crap. Not sure if these types of problems will makes us buy American again, there are really no guarantee this type of problem won't happen in Ford or Chevy. Good luck to you.
  • wcromerwcromer Member Posts: 1
    need to replace rear shocks on 2000 montero sports not sure how to do it.Are the shocks under tention when they are removed? what shock replacement do you recomend,I pull a bass boat.thanks
  • mikesLTD2001mikesLTD2001 Member Posts: 6
    I have just developed an unusual problem with signal lamps. When I use the turn signals with the headlights off, everything works fine. When I turn on my running lights or my headlights, the left turn signal light on the dash comes on and stays on steady. Outside the car the left turn signal in the front and the back are lit and on steady. The left headlight is on but the right headlight is out. If I use my left turn signal with the headlights on, I get a slight bit of blinking but also the navagation screen in the center of the dash also gets brighter and dimmer along with the signal. I know the right headlamp works because if I pull the turn signal lever towards me to turn the brights on and hold it and then twist the lever to turn the headlights on, both headlights do come on.
    Strange group of happenings. Any suggestions? I have not taken the car into the dealer yet for a scan of the lighting controls. My standard OMD II scanner does not give any faults.
    Thanks to anyone who can respond.
    Mike
  • 1krazyhunter1krazyhunter Member Posts: 3
    My 94 Montero has had this problem for about 8 months now. When first starting it up it will try to cut out on me (like it's starving for fuel) I feather the pedal for a minute or so and it starts running fine. Also, when I drive it on the freeway and start slowing down under 35mph or so it will try and cut out also. I do the same feathering of the pedal to get it to run fine again. This is very random and does not happen all the time. It does both of these things usually within 10 minutes of initially starting up cold. I have not seen a check engine light come on yet. Maybe the light doesn't work. Does this sound like a fuel or an electrical problem. Any ideas? HELP....PLEASE!
  • penguin87penguin87 Member Posts: 5
    A tune up recently corrected my starting problems. Have the throttle plate adj. for the other thing.
    Also, could this possibly be a catalytic converter problem??? It now cuts out at high speeds. Ahhgggg!
  • penguin87penguin87 Member Posts: 5
    That one I don't know. Never crossed that in my pile of junk Montero Sport.
  • kvoysonkvoyson Member Posts: 1
    My montero did the same. A couple of screws fell out of the gearbox an started slipping making a grinding noise. Pull the headliner down in front of sunroof near interior light and you can see gear box
  • cbarocbaro Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    I have a 2002 Montero. While on idle, the engine will almost die but will recover, especially when the A/C is on. I've drained, flush and filled the radiator but to no avail. I also have to add coolant in the reservoir every 1 week or so. Sometimes, the fan will come on after starting the engine for 10 seconds. Could replacing the thermostat help or something? Please help. Thank you.

Also, sometimes the A/T Temp light comes on before turning the key but disappears once it idles and runs.
  • mrsformrsfor Member Posts: 6
    my 2002 montero sport did the same thing right before we had to replace the alternator.
  • atilesatiles Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the process of replacing the TPS sensor, however, I have read in several places online that I must calibrate the TPS once its replaced. I have a digital multimeter, however, I'm not really sure how to calibrate the TPS. The TPS looks as a plug and play type of sensor, but it does have a spring in the back that looks as it can be rotated for adjustment, Is that how i'm supposed to calibrated???? Also, where is the TPS located in a Mitsubishi montero sport (2001)????

Thanks,
  • cgudel0703cgudel0703 Member Posts: 1
    1998 4WD Montero LS.

Alright, so my alternator has been replaced a few months ago. My ongoing problem at the moment is that something is draining my battery. My mechanic took a look and found that an alternator wire was causing a short so he fixed that. I got my car back, but I still don't trust it. When I drive it feels sluggish when I accelerate. I feel the need to put my car in park and rev it to keep my battery from pooping out on me when I am at a stop or stop light. As I was pulling into a parking lot my car kind of died but it managed to start. I know something is still wrong because my warning lights will flicker at times and that is when I start to get worried and paranoid because that's how I know my car is still not 100%. Someone have any ideas or suggestions? I have a busy schedule with work and school and this just adds to my stress.
  • fix_myridefix_myride Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 montero sport sr . It would idle really rough on humid days, and there were a few when it wouldn't start at all. It started acting really bad and I called my boyfriend who told me to park it and he would look at it. When he got it home the next day, he parked it in the garage and the harmonic balancer was hanging on the timing belt. When he puts it back into place and he snugs the center bolt as tight as he can it still wiggles. The part that fits against the cam is chewed up alittle but he thinks there is some other part that fits between it and the cam. It has 139,000 miles on it and the belt had been replaced 16 months ago. Any idea if there is a missing part? or suggestions on how to fix it?
  • dantheothermandantheotherman Member Posts: 1
    2002 Montero, 107K
    Fan blower only works on #4 setting.
    Where is my fix?

Info irrelevant to post: bought in 2003. Was a rental before I got it.
    Previous issues:
    1. Didn't want to shift into 4WD after not being used all summer.
    Eventually went in on its own.
    MY FIX: put it in 4WD once a month even when not needed
    2. Lights on 4WD indicator burned out one by one
    First left rear, then right rear.
    MY FIX: Don't look at them. I've owned vehicle long enough to feel
    what it is doing.
    3. Bad hub bearing passenger front.
    Long time problem. Thought it was choppy tires from bad
    alignment. Felt it as I steered. Got progressively worse over 1.5
    years (yep that long) until it finally said "hey, you got a problem"
    Got new tires, reputable alignment still present, but turned into an
    intermittent grind, rather that a "tension" when steering.
    MY FIX: Dealership replaced hub housing. $530.
    INTERESTING NOTE: Dealership was insistent on replacing my
    brakes and rotors at the same time because "the mechanic might
    not be able to fit the caliper back on" After a firm, "You're not
    changing the brakes, I can do that myself (instead of their $350
    insta-quote)," they decided to check with the mechanic to see if he
    could and SURPRISE, he could!
    4. Recently installed a car started because we were warned that it would
    void the warranty. Warranty is up, so on it went.
    5. Cargo door wouldn't actuate properly.
    MY FIX: WD-40
    6. Interior smells like smoke.
    NO FIX: Can't get my wife to stop smoking.

Thanks!
  • jeff_herrera01jeff_herrera01 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I'm having the same problem, but continues until 45mph or 50mh then start again when driving at 60mph, so I haven't go above that since long, long time ago. How did you fix the problem or what is it? :confuse:

Thank you for your time.

Jeff.
  • vanstersvansters Member Posts: 1
    I have a '91 5 speed Montero with 270,000 miles. Runs great! Yesterday it refused to turn over.

It felt like a dead or almost dead battery, Battery is new ( 3/11) Now it won't turn over.

All the electrics work, lights, radio etc. The left turn indicator would not flash recently now it works. I am wondering if the problem is in the key switch and the turn indicator issue as well as the non start are related.
  • johnnywpjohnnywp Member Posts: 1
    This just happened to me yesterday and one of the other posters nailed the problem exactly. There are 3 screws that hold the sunroof motor in place. One screw had completely fallen out and was resting on top of the headliner. The other screws had loosened. The problem is that both the motor and the sunroof drive belt are indexed to a home position. Once you heard that ratcheting noise the synchronized index was lost. It is not impossible to re-index them, it just takes some time to get them right. Really, the biggest pain of the job was taking the headliner down. Things that are press-clipped in place rather than screwed in place are hard to take down. The hardest were the clips that hold the sun visors in their home position.
  • kmarine0120kmarine0120 Member Posts: 1
    Does the check engine light come on because the EGR can be getting stuck pushing fumes back into the engine causing it to shut down that is what happened with mine.
    My problem still exists and that is the first thing that sounds like the exact thing that could be wrong with my Montero. Thank you and I will check it out and let you know.
  • 1stshadow1stshadow Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,

Just bought the Montero a week ago and realized a few days that the horn is not working. When I press the horn, I can hear a click on the left side of the engine (as you open the hood and look at it). I checked the horn, witch is located near the radiator, I replaced it with a new one, still not working. Looked around under the hood and found another horn close to the windshield on the left side as you look at the engine. Tried the new horn on the new spot found and this one still not working. I checked the fuses, but there is none for the horn, so I'm guessing it doesn't have a fuse and I don't believe it would be that anyways, because the contact is heard when I press the horn on the wheel. It is really annoying not having it work and I really don't wanna go to a dealer to check that out, as they will rip me off just for a simple test unless there is no other option.....can you guys give me some hints or some advise in what to do? I'm usual pretty handy and figure things out, but this one is over-taking me.......thanks in advance for giving time to read this, any help would be greatly appreciated.....
  • rach07rach07 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 99 Montero Sport 4X4 3.0, & just recently my temp gauge has started to act very erratic. It will stay under cold then jump up & down at certain times. Today while I was driving on the highway it stayed under C but when I drove city streets it would go to normal when I was at a stop but will decrease to under C when I accelerated. Other then this problem the vehicle is running fine. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?
  • rachelmacrachelmac Member Posts: 1
    I have just aquired a 91 montero and a 95 montero. both bodies are in excellent condition but I only can keep one, both need engine work. I've had a sport in the past, and I'm unfamiliar with the older models. OK all you Montero fans, which one should I keep?
  • estoquinoestoquino Member Posts: 5
    did you try changing the idle control and cleaning the throtle .
    ofcourse the 95,more blue book value!
    check the timing
  • jimh701jimh701 Member Posts: 1
    2004 MONTERO SPORT DASH LIGHTS AND RADIO BLINK WHEN SIGNAL LIGHT IS ON. TURN HEADLIGHTS ON THIS WILL STOP. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM.
  • gedsudskigedsudski Member Posts: 1
    FYI..... after going through this COMPLETE process a year ago, my motor came loose again. Knowing what I needed to get to and where it was, I started poking around and realized the headliner around the sunroof opening is just velcro, and with a shorty screw driver you can tighten the screw no problem without taking apart the ENTIRE interior of your Montero. I fixed mine in about 2 minutes this time vs an entire day last year. NOW I'm trying to figure out how to "resync" the drive??? I closes about 1/3 of the way and stops (like it's at the finish spot).
  • andrewwwwwandrewwwww Member Posts: 1
    i have a 92 montero and i recently rebuilt my engine and put a new catalytic converter also. i still don't have that much horsepower to climb hills or tow trailer. I'm wondering what i should do, does anyone have any idea what the problem can be?
  • racer2525racer2525 Member Posts: 1
    When i have my mass airflow senior hooked up my montero will run just fine till it warms up. Once it warms up it wont let me give it any gas and it dies, but once i unplug the mass airflow senior it runs like a champ. I have replaced the mass airflow senior and the map sensor and the coolant sensor. I dont know what els to do can anyone help?
  • fatkoopfatkoop Member Posts: 1
    where is the fuel pump relay located on my 94 montero?
  • montero2003montero2003 Member Posts: 1
    When he put everything back together my power steering is not working. The steering makes noise like no power steering fluid. He said somehow air got into it and bled the power steering by turning car off and moving wheels back and forth to no avail. He is telling me now the power steering pump is bad and it worked perfect before he touched the car. I drove before he began to work on it. I am this car's original owner and has always been cared for. Is it possible he damaged the power steering? How?
  • tammie12tammie12 Member Posts: 3
    Have you received any answers or solutions to your problem?

I am having similar issues with my 2001 Mit Montero Sport XLS. My SRS light comes on, everything begins to run slow or dim, the windows start to roll down very slow, the windshield wipers get slow, the interior lights begin to dim and then eventually the vehicle will die.

I can have it jumped and it will run fine again for weeks or months without these symptoms and then happen all over again.

I have had the alternator and battery thoroughly checked and it carries the charge it is suppose to. Had the ECM checked and it's all good. Had it checked for issues with gound or other wire shorts, nothing. I have been to several mechanics and no one can understand these symptoms or find a solution.

Anyone have any ideas on these weird behaviors?
  • kjmorrisonkjmorrison Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XS. 3.5 V6. I just bought it in Feb with 107K miles on it. I hope it was a smart move, my aunt has one with over 250K miles and haven't had any major problems and everyone i talk to that has one loves it. But between 25-45 mph i get a shaking sensation and noise like im running over the wake up strips on the side of the interstate. It shakes so bad that i have had to have the wheel balanced twice in two weeks. Its like it looses power and hesitates like it wanna cut off but doesn't. Ive been told a number of things i could have fixed but im on a fixed income and cant afford to fork out thousands of dollars to fix this and that to try to get the problem resolved. I was wondering if anyone out there has had this problem and got it fixed or if anyone can maybe give me a possible sure fix. Thanks!!
  • ruddneckruddneck Member Posts: 23
    When I've had this problem before it's been either a bad tire or a bad bearing. Look at both side walls of the tires--are there wires or radial cords starting to appear? To check for the bearing, jack the car up and see if you can wiggle the tires side to side. If there is any lateral play, the bearing is bad. If you spin the tires by hand, you should be able to hear the bad bearing, too.
  • smileeface2004smileeface2004 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 2000 Montero Sport. I had the same issues a few years after I bought it. Everything I looked up online said torque converter. I figured that was pretty expensive so I took it to one of my friends that is a mechanic. This has been about 5 o 6 years ago. He flushed the transmission, put whatever the treatment is you use for transmissions. He drove a few miles, flushed and treated again. Drove a few miles again, then repeated that again, but this time he just left it in there without the flush. He said it would take a few weeks of driving if that was going to work. Well in about a week the problems stopped. I have not had any issues with that since. It cost about $250 I think, I know for sure it was less than $300. I have the paper around somewhere that listed all he done. I will see if i can find it in the next few days. I hope this helps! Oh and the only problems i have ever had with my montero was that. I had to change starter about 4months ago. I bought it with 41000 miles on it, now i have 200,000.....still going strong! i love mine.

Smileeface2004
  • tammie12tammie12 Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, I love mine also and hope that I can get these issues fixed because I really would like to keep it. Thanks for the information, I will definately check into that.
  • kjmorrisonkjmorrison Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I believe it has something to do with the wheel and tire. It keeps shaking my weight off the wheel.
  • lougal1lougal1 Member Posts: 1
    my engine just started to get hot to a point were I had to pull over and stop, turn off my engine due to pinging as it started to dye out to let it cool down and it started to smoke as well by the front end of the motor, close by the water pump?, and my battery won`t start the engine with out a jump just to begain to over heat agian in about 5 minutes, now it is hard to start again, can you help!!??
  • jazoreojazoreo Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero. I have a weird issue. I turn the AC on and the compressor works in fan setting 1,2, and 3 but the fan won't blow. I know the compressor is on because you can feel cold air coming through the vent...but the fan just won't blow. As soon as I turn the fan to setting 4 it starts blowing but the compressor turns off. So to cool the car I have to be on fan setting 1,2, or 3, let the compressor charge then turn it to fan setting 4 to blow the charged air which only lasts for a few minutes since in setting 4 the compressor turns off.
  • jazoreojazoreo Member Posts: 5
    My 4x4 indicator shows the bottom left light on. The 4x4 is not on but this light started staying on all the time. Do these lights indicate problems?