Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Uplander Steering & Suspension Issues

haylohaylo Member Posts: 2
My '05 Uplander makes the worst sounds in the right front when going over even the smallest bump. You can push down on the right front of the van and hear it as well. Techs say there is a TSB (which I can't find) but no fix yet. Also, they say they haven't had any other complaints on this. Has anyone else had this issue? It sounds (and feels)like something is loose up there.
This is just one of many problems I've had.
-whistling windshield
-A/C
-doors askew
-weather stripping coming off

Comments

• skywalk27skywalk27 Member Posts: 12
    I have an '06 Uplander and also have a clunk noise only it is coming from the rear...they replaced a stabilizer link, but it still makes the noise, they said they were unalbe to duplicate the complaint. I also have had numerous probs with the steering...well the list of problems could go on and on...what do you mean by doors askew?? The rear passenger door of my van sticks out about a quarter inch from the body and has gouged into the weather stripping, down to the metal and although they replaced the stripping, they did not adjust the door and it is happening again, they say there is nothing they can do about it...the other door lines up with the body
  • haylohaylo Member Posts: 2
    That's what I meant by askew. Our driver side slider (not pwr) was very difficult to shut so they removed it, reattached it and now it sits about a quarter inch from flush. I too have had the stripping replaced. The passenger side is fine.
    Ever have an issue with the trim on the side panels. Mine is becoming discoloured and no longer matches my dark blue exterior quite right.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,026
    The only front-end noise I've had on our '05 Uplander (built 6/05) is left-front stabilizer link. Had it replaced for the second time yesterday as a matter of fact, at 34,600 miles.

My biggest complaint: Road noise and roar from the Goodyear Integrity tires. Just awfully unpleasant.

Bill P.
    The molding along the bottom of the passenger rear door is sagging...when I took it in for the door I pointed it out to them, but the failed to replace it...
  • saleem59saleem59 Member Posts: 2
    I leased uplander-2005 on June 2005. There ia a clunking noise coming at the front end which is been chronic & scared/frightening my family on driving. Back to dealership many times. I was being told that some ENGINEERING FIX is coming. But I have been waiting for the fix since long.
  • bp_chvybp_chvy Member Posts: 2
    My '06 Uplander makes several different noises from the front end. Going over bumps it sounds like something is loose. While turning the wheel left or right it cluncks. one time I turned the wheel to the left while driving around a parking lot and it shuttered but did not move from a stop. I let off pedal and tried pressing again and it was fine. The van seems to be hard on tires and brakes. It has 15000 miles and the brakes squeek bad. The tires are wearing poorly. I am taking it in tomorrow for the clunks and brakes. I will let you know how it goes.
  • bwdanebwdane Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone attempted to upgrade the rear suspension of their uplander? I would like to add airbags or do something to up my max tongue weight for towing. I don't flat tow another vehicle so I need the tongue weight higher to handle my trailer. The reason I would like to go with airbags is I like how she rides normally but when I am towing I want to be able to juice the suspension in the rear to keep the van level.

Thanks
  • genmtrfangenmtrfan Member Posts: 78
    Noise heard when traveling over bumps is probably the stabilizer bar link. My '05 Uplander with 40K just started making the noise. I replaced the passenger-side link myself tonight and it fixed the problem. Hopefully the left side will hold up a bit longer since it was a bit difficult to remove the old link. The fix cost me $32 plus tax. I couldn't find an after-market link so I went to the GM dealer.

The good news is that the new link was made stronger. The diameter of the entire piece was larger. The replacement link I used was shipped to my dealer on 08/10/07. I'm not sure when they upgraded the link.
  • bp_chvybp_chvy Member Posts: 2
    The noise is gone! They replaced the stabilizer bar, steering shaft, tie rod ends and boots. It seems the steering is much easier than before. No more clunks and rattles! All was done under warranty at the dealer.
    That's great news. Keep us updated on how it does. We haven't had any problems with clunking in the steering, I wonder how common that is and if I have that to look forward to. I do have an Impala that did that. I read on the internet that you can spray some PB Blaster down the steering shaft (under the dash) and it has actually worked for me for two months.
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239
    Yes. They do make air bags for the Uplander van. For details on the Firestone Ride Rite & Coil Rite systems (which some folks love), surf: http://www.truckspring.com/air-spring-kits_256.html?affid=5

Another rear suspension upgrade product to use is Timbrens SES units. They make Timbrens for the rear of your Uplander as well. For more details, surf: http://www.timbren.com/ses-van-suv.htm

If wondering, I haven't tried Timbrens or air bags on an Uplander van. But do have the Timbren SES 2,000 lbs units on the rear of my 2001 Safari van. Best suspension upgraded I ever bought / used. Install them / leave them and when needed, they do their "extra support" magic. With Timbrens, no need to fuss with air lines or worry about a future air leak.

If my family replaces our Safari van with Uplander or Montana van, I'd be ordering / installing Timbrens for it the next day. Especially since our van's internals is most often loaded down with people and/or internal cargo. And, our van is used for our under 2,000 lbs towing needs.

Hope this Timbren product and above drill down links help....

• allenfordallenford Member Posts: 8
    My 2006 uplander had so many problems since I got it.

Seatbelt of rear replaced, stablibility and traction control light on, steering rubbing.

Now, when I go over small bumps under a low speed, a noise like something loose heard from front end, and the steering is a little bit sensitive. Went to dealership, two intermediate shaft replaced, and the noise still there, they said they are going to replace the steering column unit, but not sure for it.

Anybody here had same problem?

Thanks for any info.
  • dman446dman446 Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 has been doing that for some time. Sounds like the whole exhaust system is falling off by the sound of the noise.
    Thanks for the reply.

I dont think it is exhaust, because I can feel something through steering.
  • dman446dman446 Member Posts: 3
    Oh, yea, i know it isnt the exhaust, just the clunk sound is like the exhaust or undercarriage if falling off.....lol

EDIT: in another post or forum, there was mention of the stabalizer tie rod ends that caused the problem for some, so they replaced them and it fixed the problem.
    thanks a lot.

The dealer said they will replace the whole steering column, and I am waiting for the parts.
  • mw124mw124 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same noise problem. I am pretty sure it is the steering. When in park I can move the steering wheel side-to-side and you can hear and feel the noise. It sounds like something loose at low speeds over bumps.
    got the whole steering column replaced, and seems the noise gone.
    and now, only two weeks later, it seems like slightly the noise come back!!!
    going over bumps low speed, you feel something from steering......
    I have an 06 as well...nothing but problems. I had six repair attempts in six months on the steering alone (not to mention all the other repairs) and GM won't recognize lemon law, so I filed suit. Get out of it, if you can!
  • scotty48scotty48 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 06 Uplander. They eventually replaced the intermediate steering shaft this fixed the clunking when turning the wheel. The clunking I also had at low speed over the smallest bumps. I asked one of the service tech not the service manager and he took a look and replaced both trailing link arms on the front end. this was at 21000 miles so far nothing else
  • bazzyboybazzyboy Member Posts: 1
    allenford, i just finished repairing my 2006 uplander ls this morning. i had the same problem (i think) at low speeds or uneven ground or anything that would make the car rock side to side i kept hearing a clicking noise coming from the front end. By yesterday i have had enough of that crap i crawled underneath while my wife rocked the car from side to side finally i found the problem it was the linkage that connects the anti sway bar to the strut (look for a single bar that runs par ell to the strut) to take that linkage off your going to need a allen wrench and a 15mm opened wrench and a lot of pb blaster if you live in the northern states i paid $36.00 kinda hard to take off easy to put on now the car goes down the road just fine no problems
    thanks a lot Bazzyboy!

I went to dealership yesterday, and they said the noise is normal!
    Both of those repairs were also done to my vehicle along with replacing the rack and pinion, the CV boots, and relubing the steering shaft twice. The problem would stop for about 3,000 to 4,000 miles and then return. This van has been a nightmare!
    that sucks.
    can we share the link please? thanks alot >>>>
    exactly the same!!

so did you bring it into dealership to check?
  • wzwomanwzwoman Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 uplander rental van last year and now I have this clunking noise in the front on the drivers side . You can hear it best when you drive slow over bumps.
    I've been told that it is becoming an issue with 2006 uplanders and GMC is working on the problem. But frankly I'm a little scared to drive it out of town.I just want it fixed now and have been put off more than once. The uplander is still under warranty . It has gotten worse over time. I keep taking it back and they say there waiting for a solution from GMC. I'm losing my patience ,the noise is driving me crazy.
    Most likely it is a sway bar link. I bought one myself from Chevy for $35 and installed it myselft, although it wasn't that easy. The point is that this is a common problem and an easy fix. I heard the noise on my van when I'd go over a speed bump.

I don't think this is a safety issue, just an annoying noise.
  • amitchell34601amitchell34601 Member Posts: 1
    Went through the same noise. My husband however is a mechanic. It is a tie rod ends..... the warrenty will cover it and they need to replace BOTH of them. :)
  • 1234zoom1234zoom Member Posts: 1
    I wish I had seen this. I have a 2006 uplander and have the same problem.They changed Intermediate Shaft steering column , rack & pinion , and power steering pump. It cost a lot. I hope this will solve it for good.
  • mezcalwestmezcalwest Member Posts: 1
    Hi "genmtrfan" Have the same problem in Uplander 06, hard knocking noise in the rear right side over bumps, we already tried everything and no success... NOW, I am Mexican, live in Guadalajara and i would like to know with more details what did you exactly do to fix the problem, because here i ran out of resources... nobody knows what else to do... Van has 20k, PLEASE HELP. Will be very appreciated...kind regards
  • balbvarbalbvar Member Posts: 1
    OMG i have an 06 uplander it sounds like its 20yrs old.. Making an appt. at the shop this week ill let ya know. what they say

ive had alot of electrical problems like
    radio controls on steering whell doing other functions grrrrr
    door coming driver side rear door comeing unlatched
    my headlights go dim ALL THE TIME annoying as heck
  • emmydog1emmydog1 Member Posts: 2
    i also have an 06 uplander that had a knocking noise from the rear. the problem i had was the parking brake cable that runs across the rear axle is not strapped to the axle. gm had put on a foam rap around the cable linkage to prevent noise the foam was like a pipe insulator that is used on pipes in a home.the seem hgad opened up allowing the link to bang against the axle.i rerapped the link and have not had another problem with it.
  • emmydog1emmydog1 Member Posts: 2
    i have a grinding/groaning noise that comes from the front left wheel when making a right turn.my first step was to change the bearing hub,but problem is still there.it seems to appear after the van has been driven a while and has allowed the front end to heat up.any ideas?
  • lal3lal3 Member Posts: 1
    I to have experienced the noise in the front end (right in the steering column area). I have taken it back to the dealership at least 10 times with the same response they did not hear it. I finally met up with a Service Mechanic and took him to the places it always does it (especially cold) and little bumps and he heard it. So far they have replaced stab. bar links, steering shaft, steering rack, tie rods and the noise is still there. I hope GM fixes this soon because it can be extremely loud at times.

My 2006 Uplander also had the issues with the power doors. First it was just the right side opening and closing, opening and closing, now the left side is doing it with no fix from the dealer.

The brakes are serious issues with pulsating. They upgrated the backing plate up front to keep dirt out. Let hope this solves this issue.
  • uplander1uplander1 Member Posts: 3
    When driving straight I get a roaring noise from front left. It sounds as its running dry ( grinding ). The noise goes away when turning left but comes back when driving straight.
    Hear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLT1iYaFWgA
    It has about 115K km's on it. I bought it used.
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    Sounds like a bad wheel bearing to me. Its likely on the left side since the sound goes away when you turn left.

About $ 400.00 at the dealer- likely less by a private shop.
    Yes, the front left bearing was gone. Paid $300 at private shop to replace it. There was a wobble in front left tire that caused it. The front left tire was also worn out at the inside edge. Replaced front tires (with General Evertrek $125/tire) at Canadian Tire, also did wheel alignment ($80) there. I couldn't find good quality used tires for it at local shops.
    I've always been afraid of used tires so it sounds like you did well. How many miles do you have? I'm surprised that you needed a wheel alignment already.

I'm new to the Uplander, just bought a 2008, just trying to gather as much info as I can. We had a Chevy Venture for the last 5 years - it was a great van. I really didn't do hardly anything to it other than the usual (brakes, tires, etc) I'm hoping the Uplander treats us as well.
    I bought mine used and found out about the wobble in wheel. Because the wobble damaged the bearing so I suspected that it might have affected wheel alignment too. Hence I asked Canadian Tire to do wheel alignment.
    It has about 115000kms on it.
    It was probably a good idea - now you don't have to worry about it.
  • stan60stan60 Member Posts: 5
    I am also having problems with my 2006 Uplander with 48000 KM on the unit. The front end has this crunching sound when going over small bumps and I also notice the steering feels weird at times. So with it still under warranty I took it into my dealer to get to the root of the problem. Well the next weekend I had to make a four hour trip and on the way back I noticed the sound is still there. I just got off the phone from the dealer who is worried about getting a good mark when GM sends me a questionaire about the service. Well if GM is still around next week it is going back into the shop again thus waisting another day of my time by not fixing the problem when they had the van for two days. I am really looking forward to the lease ending on this van so I can ;) again.
  • rayomec007rayomec007 Member Posts: 1
    its the strut to sway bar link doing it
  • saleem59saleem59 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks God, I got rid of that Uplander, Now I promise I will never think of Uplander again.Oh my God
  • thekorsthekors Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone done work on their transfer case &/or rear diff? My TC is so loud & when up on blocks with the wheels off I can make it clunk around inside the case by rotating the rotors/axles back & forth. I changed the fluid, it was opaque & metalic, looked like liquid pewter & only filled the bottom inch of a 4litre ice cream pail. How screw'd am I with this? I also get a nauseating groan from the rear, which so far, I'm assuming is the diff. I'm at 115k kms, only 14k kms put on in the last year.
  • bigigbigig Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Uplander. I really like the car. However, when I drive over bumps I get a metal on metal rattle?? It is in the Front end. I've had the stabilizer bar link looked at -- nothing wrong. Someone told me it was the antenna cable rattling. I'm at a loss. Someone out there must know what's going on. I have no steering or transaxle problems at all. What could this be???????????
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello bibig,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me more information on your concern on your vehicle, so I can look into the situation further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • my3boys06my3boys06 Member Posts: 1
    Had the car for about 6 months. Everytime I go over small bumps the car makes the worst rattling/knocking noise that you can hear on the inside as well as the outside. The noise is driving me crazy. i have taken the car to 3 seperate mechanic shops, and they cant figure out the noise. They say the car is fine, and maybe thats how the car is made. Any ideas before i have to wear ear plugs?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello My3boys06,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me more information on the concern on your vehicle so I can look into it further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • railroadengrrailroadengr Member Posts: 1
    Let me know if gm will recall the uplander, I'am having clunking noise, sound if something is loose, in the front end. I had the stabilzer struts replaced, and yes the clunking sound is still there. Now the mechanic wants to change something else,. seem its a guessing game at my exspence.