Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 BMW 3-Series

Comments

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I could swear the police do not see my black 330xi!

Regards,
    OW
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    In the past 20 years I've received two tickets- both for speeding. In 1990 I got tagged by an Indiana State Police airplane(18 over, I think), while in 1997 I got popped for 28 over by the Kentucky State Police. In both cases I wasn't paying attention to my electronic countermeasures and my situational awareness was extremely low. I was driving a red BMW both times, which probably moved me up the food chain, but I still allowed myself to be caught. In contrast, I can get away with murder in my wife's Flamenco Red(AKA maroon) X3 and my blue-gray Mazdaspeed.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    I got tagged by an Indiana State Police airplane

To draw attention from a predator, I think color is important but movement speed is even more important. :(

Regards,
    Jose
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Are we discussing the '09 BMW 3 Series here? (LOL)
  • jaggjagg Member Posts: 21
    I wish we could talk about the 09s. I have a 2006 coming off lease in Nov and i need to decide whether to wait for an 09 335 sedan or take an existing 2008.
  • jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    Mid Septemeber, I went through your situation and turned in an 06 330 sedan lease to buy an 08 335i sedan!

I purchased an 08 335i sedan manual with Sports Pacakge and BMW assist.
    The 335 is more fun than the 06 330, I'll tell you that for sure.

MSRP on the 08 335i above was $42,500 including destination. I bought it for $40,160 (not including tax, registration, and $50 doc fee), zero down at 0.9% 5 year finance.

MSRP for an 09 335 equipped like above (note, logic 7 is an extra now) is $44,700.
    0.9% financing is probably not available for the 09 and most likely you'll probably have to pay near MSRP for an 09 where as I saved more than 2k off MSRP for the 08.

Note: What that means is that, realistically, you'll likely pay about $3k more for an 09 for the same car. And that's NOT including the extra costs associated with a higher finance rate.

Some other things to consider besides the significant extra $$ for an 09 are:
    - 09 Sports Package forces you to get glossy shadow line trim instead of aluminum trim (around the windows)..I personally think the aluminum looks better..especially if you're getting a black exterior.
    - 09 sedan, Sports Package wheel rims are the same as coupe. I personall like the 08 sedan rims (with Sports Package).
    - 09 logic 7 costs extra where it's standard for the 08
    - 09 performance/driving experience = 08

Obviously, right now it will be hard to find an 08 that matches your exact preferences. You may need to compromise or..if you're insistant on particulars, get the 09.

Lastly, I'd urge you to look into the new 09 S4 comming out THIS month!
    It will come super charged. I'd hold out for reviews before making your final choice as the S4 will weigh more than the 335i (not sure by how much) and this may hinder its driving experience.

Good Luck,

Joseph
    San Diego
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    And don't forget the Audi will probably be more than $10K more than the Bimmer.
    interesting comparison here,

http://www.truedelta.com/comparisons1/A4-S4-vs-3-Series-price-comparison.php?ses- sion_code=&aff=

not sure the delta between a4 and s4 but interesting non-the-less.

Joseph
    San Diego
    Interesting. Real world, the S4 will probably be $10K more than the Bimmer.
    Interesting. Real world, the S4 will probably be $10K more than the Bimmer. The trap is always trying to compare feature for feature and assiging a dollar value. This always fails in these types of charts.

My speced out 2009 Bimmer costs between 42 and 43. The S4 about 53.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Joseph, you can set up a comparison topic if you'd like, but it's time to discontinue posting in dedicated 3-Series discussions about the S4. Thanks.
    This is hillarious! I wonder if they took the 09 iDrive into account..

"
    Top 10 Scariest New Car Features
    4. iDrive
    Even among the trio of similar dashboard interfaces from Audi and Mercedes, BMW's iDrive is utter knobsense. Directional inputs send you to various submenus, but in most models there are no shortcut or previous-screen buttons around the knob. In many models, street labels sit on a horizontal plane no matter the direction of the street, and if you need to scroll along the map you have to spin the knob to move east/west, then click it down and spin it again to move north/south. If you get the hang of it, you'll be ready for "Survivor" tryouts."

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/707/top-10-scariest-- new-car-features/;_ylc=X3oDMTFkN3JzOGE1BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLXRvZGF5BHNsawNzY- 2FyaWVzdC1mZWF0dXJlcw--

If I ever decide navigation is necessary, I'll get a Garmin.

Joseph
    San Diego
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I thought the Volvo feature of detecting if someone is hiding in your back seat is a good deal sillier.
  • jmr7368jmr7368 Member Posts: 1
    In September I ordered an '09 328i xdrive and it will be in next week. While shopping around I went in with the intention of buying an '08. However, you are limited in what is still available. I was not able to get what I was looking for so I chose to order one instead. I like the idea of only paying for what I wanted instead of options I did not want. I opted for automatic tranmission, premium package and cold weather package. I was able to get about $2,400 off the price of the car. The dealer was able to find me an '08 similar to the one I ordered. Comparing to the two choices they were within $1000 of one another. I chose to buy the '09 instead. As of today BMW is offering 0.9% financing until October 31. A great time to buy new!
    There's an old expression: "Opinions are like......., everyones got one". Rain sensing wipers when they are useful they are really useful. I would pay for rain sensing wipers. I wouldn't pay for every available option a manufacturer offers.

As far as idrive goes it's my opinion these writers probably don't know how to use a car remote, which is why they probably can't use idrive either.
    Congrats on your car. Post back when it arrives.
    As far as idrive goes it's my opinion these writers probably don't know how to use a car remote, which is why they probably can't use idrive either.

BMW has improved the iDrive interface in each subsequent iteration. The E90/92 iDrive is actually fairly easy to navigate and use. The E65 version is frustrating to deal with.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I agree, but I've never had a problem using iDrive. Let's be honest, people can whine about anything. Give me my rain sensing, automatic backup, rear seat sensing car and I'll be happy.
    Very true. Here's my opinion: "Never put a device on a car that can't do it better than the average human being on a bad day".

Rain sensing wipers? I don't think they make that cut.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Rain sensing wipers? I don't think they make that cut."

If you've ever lived in an area that had lots of intermittent rain and/or you drive a lot in rainy weather and traffic where one minute you're out on the road all-alone, and the next moment you're driving in a pack with lots of road spray, you might think otherwise about the rain sensing wipers.

That said, the first car I got with them had them bundled in as part of a package, and I didn't really appreciate them until I started driving another car that didn't have them. With the rain sensing wipers, you set the mist level and forget them, without them, you are constantly fiddling with the wiper settings going from off, to various levels of intermittent, and then to full on. Annoying.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Just put them on the furthest setting of intermittent. If wiping every 15 seconds isn't good enough, one might as well turn them off. I'm just not getting this technology. I'm being smirky about it, I'm sorry. :P

This goes in the "gadget" department with vibra-seats in my book. I'll take it if they give it to me for nothing, sure, but I'm not checking it off on the option list. One more thing to screw up and I'll be wiping my windshield in Phoenix in the summertime.

YRMV of course.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    I have to disagree... I have adjustable intermittent, and sometimes it's just easier to flip the stalk when I need a wipe.. otherwise, I'm constantly adjusting the frequency.

The wife has had rain-sensing wipers on her last two cars... Set it and forget it... It's like you don't even know you have them on.

Not a deal-killer, either way, but easy to use, and better than the alternative..

Try it! You'll like it!! :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Try it! You'll like it!!

I agree; I have them on the X3 and Mazdaspeed and both systems work really well. My next favorite is the variable intermittent wipers on my Wrangler. Last place I'm sad to say, goes to my ti, which only has a fixed intermiitent interval.

It's one of those things that wouldn't be a deal breaker. But I'm shipos' side and roadburners' side as well. Having had them they are set it and forget in light and misty rain. Even though my car has variable intermittent wipers, rain sensing wipers are better in this regard because the sensitivity can be set.
    It's just not an option on my car-shopping radar one way or the other. I'm kinda indifferent to the concept.

Wouldn't a rain-sensing windshield cost more to replace?
    Added about $50 to the cost of our '03 replacement.

I've never had a windshield replaced, that insurance didn't pay for, though..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I WANT to stay busy driving is my problem. I like that-- "I'm in command of this fighter plane!" feeling :shades:
    The infrared sensor is in the mirror, not in the windshield.
    That's true, but the rain-sensing windshield is still different.. Something to do with the spot that the infrared is aimed at..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

BMW's auto windshield wiper is neat, but should you turn it on in normal mode (non auto sensing), it's a non trivial experience turning the darn thing off.

I find BMW's refrigerated compartment under the arm rest some what quirky. Such a small volume is nearly useless. They should either increase usable volume ( I guess make it deeper) or eliminate the thing alltogether.

After 3 years with BMW's fancy turn signal invention (started in 06 models), I still fall victim to an induced back and forth left/right juggling of the lights. It's very embarressing since people behind you can see the lights. Still I like the idea but they've got to improve the interface.

A glove compartment that could fit at least the car's user-manual, registration, and insurance documents would be appreciated. BMW should either enlargen its glove compartment or shrink its elaboratly dressed German styled user manual.

With my 06 330, I enjoyed the compass meter embedded in the mirror. I also enjoyed the electronic folding mirror. This time however, with my new 335i :blush: , I've opted to live without these items that come with the $2000! Premium package. Walmart sells a $15 electronic compass that mounts smartly on your mirror. Life isn't so bad without the folding mirrors..and BMW's black leatherete is quite a good, if not superior, substitute for its leather seating.

A really cool feature in a BMW these days, IMO, is the cruise control. It has a most natural and pleasing electro-mechanical interface. I especially like how the cruise control maintains itself while I down or upshift (6spd manual). Very well done! Unfortunately, most gadgets in the car lack such brilliant enginering grace.

Example Primo:
    Unfortunately,... I found BMW's navigation / iDrive interface too cumbersome and most importantly, too intrussive to the driving experience. The thing doesn't shut up. The screen is always on..even when blank, it dominates the cabin. Such devices should hide themselves away or be way in the background IMO. That's why I feel a portable Navigation device like a Garmin would be more effective, much cheaper, and less distracting from the experience (you can turn it off and tuck it away). BMW has a long way to go to convince otherwise.

Joseph
    San Diego
    BMW's auto windshield wiper is neat, but should you turn it on in normal mode (non auto sensing), it's a non trivial experience turning the darn thing off.

You might find it a non-trivial experience, I didn't. A quick flick of the stalk does it.

After 3 years with BMW's fancy turn signal invention (started in 06 models), I still fall victim to an induced back and forth left/right juggling of the lights. It's very embarressing since people behind you can see the lights. Still I like the idea but they've got to improve the interface.

Took me two turns to get used to.

With my 06 330, I enjoyed the compass meter embedded in the mirror. I also enjoyed the electronic folding mirror. This time however, with my new 335i :blush: , I've opted to live without these items that come with the $2000! Premium package. Walmart sells a $15 electronic compass that mounts smartly on your mirror. Life isn't so bad without the folding mirrors..and BMW's black leatherete is quite a good, if not superior, substitute for its leather seating.

The leatherette is in no way superior to the leather. The leather has a feel, touch and smell the 'ette' can't come close to.

Unfortunately,... I found BMW's navigation / iDrive interface too cumbersome and most importantly, too intrussive to the driving experience.

I was able to grasp the most important functions, while driving the car. It wasn't rocket science. What was really bothering me, is that it took me a while to figure out how to turn off the seat heater from idrive, even though the heat icon was clearly visible to me. :blush.

The thing doesn't shut up. The screen is always on..even when blank, it dominates the cabin. Such devices should hide themselves away or be way in the background IMO

I can't remember which model, (135, 335, 550, X5, X6, 535, 650 or 750, missed the M3 and Alpina), did what. But I seem to remember BMW is not the only manufacturer to provide a 24X7 nav screen. But I really liked idrive with nav, I paired my BT phone to the unit while driving without a problem.

I like the clean upfettered look of the BMW dash, it was a smart move to stick all this stuff into i-drive.
    Unfortunately,... I found BMW's navigation / iDrive interface too cumbersome and most importantly, too intrussive to the driving experience. The thing doesn't shut up. The screen is always on..even when blank, it dominates the cabin. Such devices should hide themselves away or be way in the background IMO. That's why I feel a portable Navigation device like a Garmin would be more effective, much cheaper, and less distracting from the experience (you can turn it off and tuck it away). BMW has a long way to go to convince otherwise.

In contrast, I like the screen to be on all the time. You can change it from showing the nav.map, to the sound system info., to traffic info., etc. If I didn't like it I wouldn't have gotten it. iDrive keeps getting better with each iteration update.
    You're right iDrive has gotten "better"....well, less worse at any rate. :P Maybe someday I'll even grow to like it.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Maybe someday I'll even grow to like it.

Only if you could yell at it and it would listen! :cry:

Regards,
    OW
    That and a dip stick.
  • richardga73richardga73 Member Posts: 84
    imaroun, the atlanta dealers said all the leatherette models that were available were sport suspensions. Just the luck of the draw. With the rft's I dont want the spt. suspension. It is harsh and noisy enough, then add the dumbass rft's it gets too much. Did you find a leatherette with normal suspension? Maybe the overall answer to the harsh and noisy rft's is to get a normal suspension. If enough people do that maybe they will drop the rft's.I personally like a stripped car with the biggest engine. Its lighter. I dont need a computer on wheels.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "Maybe the overall answer to the harsh and noisy rft's is to get a normal suspension."

Don't chop off your arm because you cut your finger. Just buy a set of proper tires.
    hello rchardqa,

actually, I've never considered a 3 series without sports package for the following reasons:

1.) never test driven a non-sports package car to compare them back to back.. I guess I'm inherently wired to get that option.
    2.) i remember a couple reviews commenting on how the sports package is definately worth it.
    3.) I find the ride quality quite tame.. very comfortable for me.
    4.) 2008 rims that come with sports package are nicer than non sports package rims
    5.) run flats saved my rear a couple times... I was able to basically continue driving for a couple days after getting a flat.
    6.) the 3 series is famous for its superb handling. One of the main reasons why I buy these cars is for experiencing the joy of how they can take you around a curves with confidence and balance. Also, the benifit of experiencing the road without it being over-bearing. I honestly think the sports package, which comes with an optimized suspenssion along with the rfts, is something important to invest in. But having never compared a non-sports to a sports packaged car.. I can say for sure that there is a significant difference.

I'd like to also re-state that, IMO, the leatherete is just as good, if not superior to leather based upon fit and finish and especially durability! My 330's leather driver's seat got worn out near after a year and half and looked terrible after 3 years.

I wish you good luck getting an 08 to your exact specification. You'll save at least 3k getting an 08 as apposed to an 09.

Good Luck,

Joseph
    San Diego
    My 330s leather seats looked like new after years of use. The leather thankfully was not soft, supple and prone to tearing and age as it is on other cars. Of course I used leather cleaner and treatment but I've used those products on every car with leather seats.

While it is said the 'ette' is as good as the leather, it's a true statement only if you can''t afford the leather. The leather smells better and feels better.

With proper care leather seats will last a long time.

--the 335 with the sports package is an amazing car.
    My ....leather seats looked like new after years of use. The leather thankfully was not soft, supple and prone to tearing and age as it is on other cars..........While it is said the 'ette' is as good as the leather, it's a true statement only if you can''t afford the leather. The leather smells better and feels better. With proper care leather seats will last a long time.............

My experience and opinion, as well.
    The "problem" with leather, which is a nice thing to behold and which CAN be made to last a long time with basic care and feeding, is this----it's an organic material after all (just ask a cow) and it is vulnerable to accident, especially spills, dye from clothing, sun damage, and of course kids and pets. I had a car with black leather and that was pretty easy (I don't live in a hot climate) but a white/ light beige leather requires you to be careful with it. And you have to "feed" it and treat it like the fine thing it is.
    Based upon 3 years with leather and now with leatherette, I personally find the ette superior in every way.

1.) Leatherette is Cheaper..and no that doesn't mean I can't afford it..It's just not worth the extra $1.5-$2k! to spend. Heck, my entire 8 piece Lazy Boy leather sectional couch cost that much.
    2.) Leather can be sticky were the ette seems more resistant to this.
    3.) Who likes the smell of Leather? I much prefer the nuetral (non existant) smell of leatherette.
    4.) Leatherette is more durable with less or no required maintainance.
    5.) Looks wise, the ette seems to have a sharper fit and finish and will look like new forever.
    6.) No one has ever complimented my 330's leather seats..and no one yet has noticed that my 335i has leatherette.. in other words..they're practically identical in function and form.

Just my observations and opinions. I only wish someone could have pointed this out to me 3 years ago when I leased my 330i with ~$2k Premium package. (folding mirrors and compass aren't worth $2k either..and if you need lumbar support.. use a $3 pillow :) ).

Joseph
    San Diego
    And you have to "feed" it and treat it like the fine thing it is.

True enough:

1. My expensive suits are treated much differently than my wash and wear clothing, why wouldn't leather be treated differently than vinyl.
    2. Leather doesn't emit those toxins, which the 'ette emits.
    3. There is a reason organic materials make better clothing than artificial materials. Sure polyester and rayon may not need starch, but they don't look as good or feel as good as the finest cotten or the finest wool.

So while it's easy to make a case that artificial is better for your needs, the reasons are usually negative not positive; e.g. a 10 year old Honda is a much better car than a 335i because I don't have to worry about it being stolen That's the type of reasoning where the 'ette wins over the leather..
    Yeah but one cup of spilled coffee on certain leather types and colors and that's it, you're screwed.

It really depends I think on a) the level of care you are willing to give to leather interiors, b) your lifestyle, i.e., do you eat a lot in the car, have a dog, have kids, etc..

Given that you can get leather on the most humble of cars these days, I don't think prestige enters into it anymore. Unless you are a sensualist (which is great actually) I'm not sure 85% of the world even notices your leather interior.
    Unless you are a sensualist (which is great actually) I'm not sure 85% of the world even notices your leather interior.

I have a Matrix style 'ette coat and long leather dresswear. They are not the same and not even close. Sure the 'ette takes more abuse, but the leather feels better, smells better and wears better.
    I totally agree on feel and smell, but on "wear" or "use"---I think that really depends on circumstances of lifestyle. For instance, wearing leather while riding on a motorcycle? Good. Leather on a bicycle? Bad. Leather coat on a fall evening? Good. Leather coat on a cold rainy night? Bad.
    You hit the nail on the head: you can change your coat but you can't change your seats. In an entry level vehicle, I would choose leather over 'ette given the choice of materials by the manufacturer.
    Ain't that the truth. We do see people here occasionally that ordered cloth and now want leather, and sometimes those who ordered leather but don't like it. It's probably a decision that requires more thought than most people give it.
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    Although they weren't BMWs ('08 328xi & '07 335xi now in the driveway), I had '95 & '99 Mazda MX5 ragtops with leather seats. In a restaurant parking lot in Chino Hills, CA, some inconsiderate person flicked a burning cigarette butt without regard to it's landing pad. As it turned out, the landing pad was my driver seat. When I returned to my car after dinner, I found the burnt out butt and a 1" scorch mark in the leather. Needless to say, I was not happy.

The good news is that I had kept the leather well-conditioned against the California sun, and within a couple of weeks, the natural action of driving had rubbed out the mark with no trace of any damage.

I really doubt that "ette" would have survived so well. It's all in how you take care of your ride.

In my college years in Montreal summers, I drove a black Dodge Omni with a red plastic steering wheel and red vinyl seats. I can't even tell you how hot those seats and wheel got sitting in the sun. Do you know what burnt thigh leg hair is like?!

"Ette"? No thanks.

And I have to believe that there is nothing so nice as the heated leather seats on a cold morning. It was 29 degrees F here this morning, and it was Nirvana before I'd even backed out of my driveway!

xeye
    yeah but heated seats and leather don't like each other. This is why your conditioning treatments are even more necessary now. (leather dries out faster, and if untreated, one day you or someone plops down on that hard dry leather and....you know the rest).
This discussion has been closed.