Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Veracruz Maintenance and Repair

biocranialjksbiocranialjks Member Posts: 8
Well, I have only had the 2008 Veracruz for about 3 weeks with under 1,500 miles on it and the air bag light is on. My wife was told that this could be up to a 5 hour diagnostic test and the dealer does not offer a loaner car. I am not sure about shuttle service either.

Anyone have any service issues so far with 2007 or 2008?

Comments

• carbuyer11carbuyer11 Member Posts: 114
    2500 miles and no service issues so far. As a service to your fellow VC owners, please update us on your experience.
  • biocranialjksbiocranialjks Member Posts: 8
    I took the car in last Saturday morning and it took about 3 hours. Technician said it may have been caused by switching from driver's positions too much? I only drive the car on weekends so I don't think that is too much. Anyhow, he said that if it happens again, we need to bring it in during the weekday and they may need to order parts for it.
  • aabruzzeseaabruzzese Member Posts: 16
    No loaner car for a warranty issue? I would put their feet in the fire over that one. It's my understanding that it's NOT a dealer option, it's covered by HYUNDAI. I'm assuming you're getting the car serviced where you purchased.
  • jseideljseidel Member Posts: 7
    I reviewed the owner's manual, and the technical shop manuals on Hyundai's web site - there is no mention of jack points to safely lift the vehicle. The Veracruz has a subframe, on rubber bushings, to support the engine and strut assemblies. The only jack points mentioned is for the emergency jack to change a tire. Using a floor jack to raise the entire front or rear of the vehicle is not mentioned in Hyundai's literature. Even with a great warranty I prefer to work on my car when possible -- I have had bad experiences more often than not, even with auto dealers. My Veracruze Limited was delivered with 50 lbs in each tire and half a quart low on oil. From what I can tell, the vehicle was just washed and delivered. There was a two page check-off sheet that was not touched - this is normal.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't know why dealers can figure simple prep out. Lots of people test drive cars and are unhappy with the ride, all because the prep wasn't done and the salesperson was too lazy to check to see if the tires were aired down to recommended pressures.

Tell the world about your dealer experience:

Dealer Ratings and Reviews
  • zlasrzlasr Member Posts: 1
    Veracruz 2007 Limited with Ultimate Package
    2800 miles
    Purchased Dec 07

While driving down a two lane mountain road, I experienced a failure of the accelerator and gear shift capability followed by burning electrical smell and the activation of the check engine light. I was using the manual Shiftronic to help control downhill speed varying between 2nd and 3rd gears, 2000 - 3500 RPM when this event occurred.

The dealer is reporting that the computer became confused between all the manual gear shifting and simply stopped working. A technical support case was opened with Hyundai but there is no solution or software update.

The error codes indicate that that the Traction Control System engaged several times.

P2106 - Throttle Actuator Control System
    P1295 - ?
    P161b - ?

Anyone had experience with this type of error or Shiftronic behavior?
  • frankatfrankat Member Posts: 1
    So, I live in the Northwest and have kids on Ski Team, so lots of trips to Mt. Hood. I have the 2008 Limited Veracruz and have been pretty happy with it, other than the gear-hunting transmission on hill climbs. In this incident, I only had 800 miles on the vehicle.

After one race at Timberline, we left the mountain and were caught in horrific traffic and driving snow. I pulled the Shiftronic into manual mode to control the hill descent. It was stop and go traffic, so during the long pauses I would shift to neutral and hit the park brake. This goes on for about an hour until....

Suddenly, there is a clunk in the transmission, check engine light and a transmission light. I have no idea what's going on but traffic starts moving again. The rig is gutless. I push over into manual mode, try to shift down. No go. I'm stuck in 5th gear and car will not accelerate over 1000 RPM. Bizarre. I'm caught between pulling over in a driving snow storm or just riding it down the hill until it's safer. So, I just let'er coast.

Once down the hill and in the town of Welches, I pull over and just turn off the car and restart it. Everything resets except the check engine light. Monday AM I take it to the dealer. They pull the codes, and are uber surprised. The code is set to "Limp Home", which forces the car into 5th gear and won't go over 1000 RPM.

What the hell is that? They promise to get back to me, but I'm nervouse because I'm going up every weekend in this thing to the mountain. 3 weeks later, I get a call that Hyundai Techs have no idea what it is.

Ski Team season is over, and it never happened again after that time.

I now have 2,500 miles on the rig, and other than the shifting behavior being a little puny on hill climbs and wanting to run down the hills in 5th and 6th gear, I haven't had any issues with the transmission.
  • swgarmyswgarmy Member Posts: 1
    With 800 miles on my 2007 Veracruz the steering went out completly when I was coming up to a stop sign. Had it towed to the dealership. Found the steering column had been assembled incorrectly at the factory!! If I had been going 60mph on the highway I wouldn't be writing this now!! Recommend if you have a Veracruz you have the steering checked. If it happened once it can happen again. My Veracruz was made in May 07. Wrote the CEOs of Hyundia in the US and Korea to let them know. Nothing heard from either one yet!!!
  • xquuzmexquuzme Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2007 Veracruz which I love, but one annoying thing is that the lights dim and the heat/AC blower slows briefly when downshifting as I slow down to come to a stop. The dealer tells me this is normal, but I haven't had lights dim like this since driving an old car with a bad alternator. Anyone else experience this?
  • tansitansi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 GLS Veracruz that when driven on dusty roads the rear bumper clearly shows the outline of the grille underneath.( both sides clearly visable through the dust) The Hyundai rep says this is normal? I've never seem this on other Veracruz or any other vehicle for that matter. Anyone else have this problem or know of a solution?
  • jmaulsbyjmaulsby Member Posts: 54
    I took my 07 Veracruz in today for the 15,000 mile oil change and the service dept. informed me that there is a recall on this vehicle. I never received any notice from Hyundai. They did not even have a filter in stock.

I also had a squeak in the rear of the vehicle. The spare tire was flat which allowed it to move from side to side in the carrier; causing a squeak. Service tech stated that the spare "had a pinhole in the top of the tire and it could not be fixed." To my knowledge, the spare has never been touched since it left Korea. The warranty does not cover tire parts. $95 for a new tire installed. Since it is the spare, I am going to check for a better price at Walmart or Discount Tire.
    I took my 07 in for warranty work this morning and when they put the vehicle up on their lift, they managed to break the red reflector on the bumper. Obviously, the replacement is no charge, but I can not imagine how the service tech did this. I make mistakes on my job and I suppose everyone does occasionally.
  • joe184joe184 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had problems with paint wearing off rear door well from grit being thrown up from front tires. I'm driving a 2007 Veracruz. Suggestions
  • broochbrooch Member Posts: 18
    I have mudguards for the front wheels which prevents this. I was gonna install the rears as well, but u need to buy a different rear bumper (has slots) to attach the rear guards. I am from Canada and bought the car in the US, seeing how the Canadian version comes with the guards standard, I thought it would be an easy install. The fronts were, but the rears won't work with the US bumper, so I returned them. So far the cars been great, even maintaining 18 mpg city.
  • jhsmith007jhsmith007 Member Posts: 5
    My 2007 Veracruz limited had a check engine light come on on 8/20. The car jolted and vibrated and would not accelerate. I was advised by the local dealer the car had a throttle warning code 2106, but that it cycled through and was fine without repair, after the dealer test drove it for 30 miles.

The car was driven with no issues until it ocurred again yesterday, 9/17. This time I was told the following errors appeared:

2135 - Throttle Body

I was advised a Service Bulletin had been issued to dealers in February for this, and they were replacing the Throttle Body unit, which would take care of everything. The dealer stated they had replaced the unit on 3-4 cars to date and that it took care of the issue I was having.

I am not happy. We will see if this resolves the issue.
  • p885p885 Member Posts: 5
    Have a problem with acceleration on my Veracruz 2008. It seems as it will not take the gas at between 25 and 42 MPH. It hesitates and or gives you a jerk sensation. I have taken it to Hyundai and am told there is nothing wrong with the car. Is anyone else having this problem
  • lakopplakopp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Veracruz and after having it serviced for 3 Hyundai recalls it sprung a massive oil leak in the timing gasket. Hyundai replaced the gasket and returned the car. It is still leaking (though not as much) and back in the shop again. Is anyone else having this issue? Hyundai said they can't figure out where this leak is coming from.
  • hoo320hoo320 Member Posts: 46
    Hi, Thanks for coming.
    I have been a Veracruz owner for half a year. This is one thing that really bothers me.

It is the engine rumble when the transmission is trying to shift up at low speed. When I accelerate fast, the automatic shifts very smoothly. However, when I accelerate slowly or just trying to maintain my speed at exactly 20 mph,or 30 mph or 40 mph, the engine starts to rumble and generates a lot of noise and vibration. At this time, I need to heavily step on gas to make the rumble go away.

Anyone has similar experience?

I took my car to my dealer. They acknowledged that was a problem and they did a transmission relearn. But the problem was still there. They do not know what to do now.

Thanks
  • bbmax_00bbmax_00 Member Posts: 4
    Well I had a rumble too...only on downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear. It almost felt like I had run over something the first time it happened. I began to pay close attention after that and the problem seemed to come and go depending on how quickly I had to brake for a stop light for example. My Veracurae only had a few thousand miles on it when this happened.

I tried this old trick thinking a small flek of metal from casting or milling parts of the transmission had become logged in a valve or spring inside the transmission. I manually put the transmission in 1st gear and then ran up the road to about 4000 rpm, then manually shifting to second and holding that to 4000 rpm again. The idea is to flush the passages in the valve body under high fluid pressure.

Bottom line....my problem vanished and it has been several months, apparently there was some trash in the valve body. I have no clue if this "easy fix" would help you but you might try it, can't hurt.
    Ken
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    Years ago I had a manual transmission Hyundai Tiburon that had a somewhat similar problem. I stopped at a stoplight and shifted into neutral. When the light turned green, I tried and tried to shift back into first, but I could not get it to shift. After having it towed to a dealership, it turns out the some fleck had blocked a passage way in the transmission and that if I had pumped the clutch enough times I could have driven it away. It still would have needed to have its transmission flushed out or whatever, but at least I wouldn't have been stranded.

In any event bbmax_00, I would still have your transmission looked at if you haven't already. One thing about the Veracruz - I thought it had a sealed transmission. I know that sealed doesn't always mean sealed sealed, but how is your dealer going to flush out your system if its sealed?
    thanks for coming.
    I only have 4k miles on it.
    The dealer did some thing on it with a code name Ti-48. I do not know what they did. I will ask them whether they can flush the transimission.

The rumbling only happens at the low RPM in a gear. If I step on gas and make the RPM go up, the rumble goes away.
    If the transmission oil is low or dirty, could it be the reason?
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    Interesting. I just test drove an 08 LTD and noticed they same thing around 40 mph while maintaining speed, with RPM around 1600 RPM. did not say anything until after the test drive by salesman admitted feeling it. Felt very "cheap". Anyway, he said that it could be the alloy wheels...or snow on the inside causing it to be unbalanced....BS!! I've had that happen to my wheels and this was not the same. As soon as I pushed on the accelerator, even though the speed had not really changed, the vibration stopped. This is definitely an issue with the engine or tranny. Might be enough to turn me away from this vehicle. Test drove a highlander right after and it was extremely smooth in comparison.

Wonder if there are other complaints along this line in other threads....will have to check.
    I test drove both vehicles. I did not notice the vibration at that time.

However, Veracruz has a lot more car for the money. That is why sold me.

The vibration is really annoying. I would never buy hyundai again.
  • gtcodergtcoder Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately I think I've just discovered this same issue with my 2007 Veracruz. I changed the oil yesterday, drove the car no more than a mile and came out the next morning to discover a puddle of oil underneath. I feared the obvious, unsecured oil pan drain, unsecured canister, oil fill cap, etc. All checked out. I came to this forum looking to see if there might be external oil lines on this vehicle that could possibly have developed a leak and saw your post.

The "mess" seems to be on the backside of the engine (the side that faces the firewall) and the oil splatter seems to be just about everywhere. Do you recall where the timng cover is? Front side or back side of the engine? When and how did you discover your leak?

Thanks,
    Greg
    After spending more time with this veracruz, I found that the engine rumbles at low RPM almost at every gear.

Anyone knows how?
    I have 22,500 miles on my 2007 and no leaks yet.
  • gccmngccmn Member Posts: 11
    My 2007 Veracruz has the same "rumble" problem. When the engine is cold and I reach the speeds of 40mph, the trainy upshifts to 6th gear, RPMs drop down to about 1600: the rumble appears. I did not take the vehicle to the dealer because I believe the rumble is due to not enough pressure buildup in transmisison in 6th gear at 40mph. In other words, the engine is struggeling to speed up with such a low RPMs. It is kind of the same with a stick shift: the engine will rumble if you try to start from a 4th gear. Once you apply more gas, the trainy downshifts, RPMs go up, pressure builds up, and rumble goes away. To avoid that on cold engine, I manually change my gears, and don't go past 4th gear until the engine warms up.

My Veracruz also has this downshift jerk at 15 - 20 mph, when slowing down. But it is not consistent. I heard other people having that as well, but dealer keeps telling them it is normal. I honestly don't care...I have 100K miles waranty :P
  • autman52autman52 Member Posts: 1
    I too recently purchased the veracruz and have noticed the same thing and was told they are awaiting an answer from hyundai. another issue I have is the vehicle has a very stiff ride, takes bumps hard, especailly in rear. The one I test drove was smoother, taking it to dealer tomorrow. can anyone tell me how their veracruz rides.
    My veracruz rides ok. much softer than the santa fe I have before.

before that I had a mazda tribute, which is tight but not stiff at all.

I think the main reason is the large 18 inches rim. Another possible reason would be the tire pressure. Dealers normally put it very high, 45 psi.

Good luck
    Glad to find out that I am not the only victim.
    My car has exactly the same problem. and I do not think it only happens when it is cold. It happened even after a 300 miles road trip. When engine is cold, the rumble is just more prominent.

I do think this is a serious problem. Mazda CX-9 and lexus es350 are using the same transmission and nobody even heard situation like this. Hyundai did not do a good job coupling the transmission with the engine. They have to fix it. We paid more than 30K for this car.

Good luck.
  • bbmax_00bbmax_00 Member Posts: 4
    Well, all I can say is my wife and I tested 11 different makes of similar size SUVs and compared all with respect to available options and price. We picked the Veracruz because of the huge bang for the buck! The only vehicle even close was maybe the Nisson or the Lexus R model and it was about $15,000 more... equipped like our Hyundai! We love ours and if you are having an issue....take it back for repair, I mean you are covered for 10 years for petes sake! >LOL. Best warranty also I might add.
    Ken
  • mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    I've got 35K mi on mine and no leaks drips or problems. 07 GLS AWD.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    The engine management and gearing to get good economy. Basically it feels like the engine is lugging, but it is not, it is on the edge of lugging though. The gearing on the VC is high so that it can meet CARB, EPA, etc. If you have noticed, cars made in the 70's and 80's would be around 2500-3000 RPM's while doing 55, but if you look at the RPM's on the VC while doing 55, they are between 1300-1600. If you drop to 5th when it rumbles, you will notice it is much smoother and quieter, but the RPM's are also above 2000, and fuel economy will drop. What I think they did was made it most fuel efficient at 65 MPH, since that is where everything runs smoothly on mine, and the RPM's are around 1800, which is the perfect spot for best MPG.

The one thing I hope they do fix though are the shift points, they are too quick and annoying, especially the delay to downshift after making a turn too slow and it upshifts to 3rd from 1st. That is a programming problem that I hope they address soon, but the rumble will not be something they can fix with a reflash since it is a mechanical problem with the gearing. When the rumble bugs me, I just knock the shifter to the right and tap it down a gear, problem solved.

OTOH, what I find truly amazing is when I ask for some giddyup and go. Stomp that pedal and this beast can move, shifts are perfectly timed and smooth, and can get this beast up to 85 in no time flat! That makes having the rumble worth it! :) As far as ride goes, very nice compared to others I drove, the rear clunk is annoying but the radio can easily drown it out, and the radio is probably one of the best factory units I have ever had in a car, it thumps, it rocks, it sounds great, and it also filters out AM static and line noise far better than any radio I have ever heard. My other car is a 2009 Camry Hybrid, and even though that radio can put out good sound, great bass etc, AM gets drowned out from line noise, and I listen to AM during my hour long morning drive, and having good clean AM is great.

My Overall experience with the VC is great, 9200 miles of trouble free driving, other than two seat belt clips getting busted by a careless teenager, i have had no quality issues with it whatsoever, and coming up soon I will have had it a year. I got it in February last year, drove it a few months, then when gas shot up to over $3 a gallon we got the TCH in April, and parked the VC in the garage, only because it wasn't practical as a daily driver, and we put 17000 on the TCH so far, that's 17000 that isn't on the VC, and I plan to keep the VC for a long time, and when I do get to drive it, I get to enjoy it.
    Static Electricity will cause that. I have seen it on other cars too, darker cars will show up more. Give it a clay bar cleaning, and a good coat of wax and it should go away. Its just cosmetic and doesn't affect its performance in any way.
  • papayamoopapayamoo Member Posts: 12
    could it be transmission problem? Or early signs of transmission problem. I have a Santa Fe and before the transmission failed, I was noticing lack of responsiveness from it when driving. Please keep us updated with this issue. Thanks.
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    Is it AWD and do you have the AWD Lock button depressed? :)
  • tinydog1tinydog1 Member Posts: 83
    I have been experiencing the same problem and the dealer also says nothing is wrong. I have noticed that it will shift into 4th at around 30mph and that is when the jerking sensation begins, but only if trying to cruise at a steady 32-40mph. What I do now, when I begin to feel the jerking, is switch it to manual mode downshift to 3rd until the vehicle reaches about 43mph then switch back to auto mode. I do not think there is a problem with the transmission per say other than the programming which upshifts too quickly causing the engine to lug. I believe it is the engine lugging we are feeling.
    The difference between your VC and mine is that yours only feels lugging. Mine feels rumbling.
    Deep bass tone, vibration ~1500 RPM, can hear the engine? Thats what mine is like when its in too high a gear. Does it go away if you shift down a gear?
    Thanks.

Yes, it does go away when I manually shift it down or step heavily on the gas.
    We are probably talking the same thing, just thinking about it in a different way then. It was the first thing I noticed as weird after driving it for a while and thought something was wrong, until I saw how low the RPMS were and said, oh, must be the gearing. They can fix this if they really wanted to, by lengthening the shift points, and keeping it out of 6th until after it hits 45 MPH, but I'll bet it would mess with the EPA ratings.
    This just sucks for a car cost more than 30k. Big time.
    At least it isn't a CX9, I heard it has a low consumer rating and is a more expensive vehicle, and frankly I found it to be very uncomfortable.
  • DavidLCDavidLC Member Posts: 1
    Hyundai has a problem with the fuel filter/fuel pump located inside the fuel tank. Mine is in the shop to be replaced today. Had no problems with the vehicle until we took it in for a fuel filter recall, have had nothing but problems since. I insisted today that they replace it again as mine was replaced with a faulty unit, would have been better off to ignore the recall. Ask your dealer about the recall, this is a known problem that can be corrected.
    Hopefully Hyundai will come up with some new programming for the shift points. This is one of my pet peeves on the VC. My other one are the wipers, first they are proprietary blades, you just cant go the autozone and get new ones, the second are the auto wipers, there should be a way to switch between auto mode and intermittent. I found that driving in light snow, the wipers seldom wipe, the sensor gets ice on it, and then the windshield ices over. The only way around is to run them all the time, then they skip and drag.
  • worldrevolverworldrevolver Member Posts: 19
    My Pop's friend had this same trouble with his santa fe and it ended up being the throttle control. It's a computer chip and it ended up malfunctioning. He took it to the dealer and they diagnosed and replaced it in 45 minutes.
  • ilitilit Member Posts: 71
    Has any body replaced the fuel air filter in Veracruz? This is not the air filter, nor the fuel filter. It's an air filter "in-line with the fuel line" located near the carbon canister. Any body know what that's for?

Thank you!
  • ksa_veracruzksa_veracruz Member Posts: 2
    This could be a sign of a bad battery or a bad alternator. Take the car to Sears Car Care, or a good auto parts store and ask them to check the battery. Checking the alternator maybe more tedious and may cost you. Maybe you can ask the Hyundai dealership to verify the amps that the alternator is putting out.
    I have had my Veracruz for over a year and so far zero problems, absolutely love it.
  • juncardrjuncardr Member Posts: 2
    Take your Veracruz to your dealer and ask them to check the ETC Throttle Body :confuse: . Veracruz doesn't have any transmission problem (as far as I know). I think your Veracruz has TPS :confuse: (throttle position sensor) problem. TPS is part of ETC throttle body. Ask them what they can do for you regarding this ETC. Tell them to Reflash or Reprogram :confuse: the ECU if ever they will replace the ETC throttle body. Have a nice day!

Reflash or Reprogram - means updating the ECU
    ECU or ECM - means Engine Control Unit ( the computer of your car's engine)