Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 - 2010 Nissan Murano

Comments

• kjsmittykjsmitty Member Posts: 25
    Typically if you have navigation you will not have the mirror option- compass indications on the mirror.
    Read your manual, :-)

The red/white arrow will point in different directions depending on option settings.

IE:

North up, compass heading, track etc.
  • tspaventatspaventa Member Posts: 18
    OMG! This has almost brought me to tears!!! I just got back from my SECOND trip into my local Nissan service center complaining about the whistle. The first time they told me they couldn't hear anything. This time, I took a tech out WITH ME for a drive in my car. He says he hears it but its normal. He took it into the shop and let "3 or 4 other guys" check it out and they all said the same thing. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? If not for having driven a 2006 Murano for the past 3+ years, and having a friend who also owns a 2009 Murano (with no whistle) I too would probably have thought it was normal. This is so infuriating!!!! I immediately got on line when I got back to my office and started searching the internet for this. You've totally made my day. I'm emailing this to the Nissan place now. Its pretty bad that I had to figure this out on my own. Apparently the general public knows their cars better than they do. Thanks for saving my sanity. I really thought that whistling was going to drive me crazy!
  • kazvolinskykazvolinsky Member Posts: 12
    This is one of the causes of the decline of trust between consumers and dealerships.I have bought a murano as well.before-I owned an Acura.Twice my new car-after being serviced "misteriously"developed a leaked radiator.On the Acura dealership.Second time-next day after oil change.The smell of the antifreeze in the car was mixed with odor of spray and I did not realize what it was till it was too late.And of course the diagnosis-a small stone(!) hit the radiator and made a hole(in the back of radiator).TWICE in 2 years.No stone embedded in the radiator.no dent.just a small-almost invisible hole.I've reached all the way up to the region manager-but to no avail. it was clear as day that both times the radiator had been sabotaged .750 each time.I still have the second one in my shed-as a reminder.Same dealership where my wife had been charged 375.00 dollars for 15 000 scheduled maintanance(155 dollars-by their own book-I called another Acura dealeship to find out the cost).The service manager-when I came to face him-did not even pretend that this was a mistake-just asked me-what I want.I was so appalled-that insted of asking for my money back-asked for a credit towards future services-big mistake-they rebound on the radiators.HOW MANy PEOPLE DO YOU KNOW WHOSE RADIATORS WHERE DAMAGED BY STONES FROm THE REVERSE SIDE OR FRONT FOR THAT MATTER.(Not only we face mechanics who are ignorant and lazy and dishonest(good ones rearely survive long enough since honesty and hard work is not respected any appreciated and paid for any longer-when 7-10 dollars an hour became normal for people who service your car and are responsible for your safety)-but the supervisors and managers who are given orders to do ANYTHING in order to make money as well and they pass this skills along .I do not know where you live-but I am positive-it happens all over.What happened to "customer is always right."What happened to "customer's satisfaction ".what happened to "getting your's money worth".We need a law-not a lemon law-but since driving is a privilege-manufactaring and selling a cars got to be a privilege like wise.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to consider writing up a report in our Dealer Ratings and Reviews.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Didn't mean to make you cry... :-)

Seriously, I hope your dealership performs the TSB (now that you have "schooled" them) and your squeal is no more.

- I have yet to read about a dealership that even knows about this TSB (admittedly anyway).

I finally took my wife's Mo in last Thursday and told them this is what it does and here is the Nissan published TSB to fix it...
    My guy looked at me like I was getting cocky with him. I really wasn't but I just smiled and said: "the internet is a beautiful thing,,,, isn't it." He replied with: "we'll get her handled!"

I didn't hear the whistle at all on the way home.

Good luck!
    No worries, tears of joy for sure! Glad everything worked out for you. I emailed the info regarding the service bulletin to my dealership as soon as I found it on your posting. I have an appointment Tuesday, can't wait to see what happens!
    Blue-tooth-to answer a call-says-to choose answer on a scree or push enter or push the pnone button on the will-bullcrap-forgot to mention-GOT TO STOP FIRST.While driving-it DROPS THE CALL.Cannot answer while driving-hands free feature my [non-permissible content removed].Today--turned the car on- PHONE feature is working alltogether.Cannnot even see if phone is still pared or not.Voice activation-instead of phone gives radio.Worked prior.God forbids you make a wrong turn-(remember the movie)-and find yourselvs in a hood-can not do anything with navigation-GOT TO STOP IN A SAFE PLACE-what if there is NONE.On a highway-forget if you want to change music and get into some features to pick up an artist(or a song) in A-Z list-forget it-GOT TO STOP.This car got to be driven by 2 people-one behind the wheel-one operating the NAV.Music box-on safety,blue-tooth-on safety,navigation-on safety.Hoe safe is the car if you have to pay more attention to the system while driving in order to use it than to the road in front of you?Voice operating-very limited-(try to say VORHEES in NJ).Another idiotic thing-looking for a place-first street number, than street name-than city-what the hell-what if I do not remember the street and number and just want to get to the center of the city-guess what-than there is no such a city! (example-the same try VORHEES in NJ).Thanks god -I do not live their-but my family doctor does.Like my sins KENWOOD navigation-[recise, perfect Blue-tooth, great screen, all places of importance on the screen while dryving, free update, nice voice-command choices-retail-700.00.Interesting-who was responcible for making decicions about the murano's system.How much money he got out of it.Damn shame.
  • madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    Can I make a suggestion?

First -Trade out of your vehicle. I have not seen you post anything remotely positive about your Murano.

Second - Paragraphs. Use them. They help to break up the wall of text which is assaulting me.

Third - Get counselling. You're unhappy and it shows.
  • onarumonarum Member Posts: 7
    LOL
  • zahtecezahtece Member Posts: 4
    I agree w/previous comments..you really need to get a life..I live in the HOOD and I have no problems with anyone..I was on this forum when it first started and thought it was great until people like u start complaining about every damn thing..Try some gratitude for the ability to be able to drive a new car and pay for it..I look to this forum for information that can help with critical issues concerning the murano and advice on something I might have overlooked. :"The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything: they just make the most of everything that comes their way" -Unknown
  • onarumonarum Member Posts: 7
    Well said. I think the more you drive it the more you might start to like it. However, that may not occur. In that case revert back two posts and sell it.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Although kazvolinsky's complaints are a bit hard to follow, I fail to see why anyone would have a problem with his venting. Just skip his posts and move on.His views don't affect my life in any way and shouldn't affect yours. Who cares. If he hadn't sprung for the expensive LE, then he could have easily unloaded a loaded SL for near what he paid for it. They are hot now. There will be a big loss on trading the LE but peace of mind may make it worthwhile.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just skip his posts and move on.

Excellent advice. We're talking cars here, warts and all.
  • iolo72iolo72 Member Posts: 29
    There's a question that's been bugging me for a while. Why are SLs harder to get and less discount compared to LEs (other than it's more $ so more discount)? There seems to be much more LEs available than SLs...
    Because they made too many LE's and they are priced at 40k+. Most want an SL so demand dictates less discount. Lots of SL's last year -- no one was shopping but people are lusting after muranos = less discounts. There are still LE's with 5-7k off.
  • reddevil4reddevil4 Member Posts: 17
    I think the reason SL Muranos are the most popular is because they are betweem the S and LE models. And you can load the SL up with different upgrade packages that come very close to everything the LE models have to offer for a lower price. The other reason is and do get me wrong because I have to admitt the 20" wheels look hot on the LE models but I have heard reports on the 20" wheels causing vibration problems on the Muranos.
    Driving home from AC.On AC expressway-accident.Eliminated highway .Got Rt 322.Great.Got out of Bally's-make left turn after voice prompt and received new prompt:"drive apprx 8 miles and than keep left"!In apprx 1 mile the yellow road on the screen -one which shows you where you are and where you are suppose to go shows me an immediate right turn.Yes--looking right-big sign-Rt.322-my eyes not lying.What the hell!I pushed the voice prompt button-and it is saying this-"drive apprx 7 miles and than keep left"!!!!.How is is possible that voice prompt does not correspond with the map guidance!I do prefer voice prompt not to take my eyes off the road-but this one is simply obscene.7 miles straight and than keep left-I would be driving right into Atlantic Ocean. Unbeliavable.My wife started to check Lexuses-interesting how much I will loose on this Murano?
  • reddevil4reddevil4 Member Posts: 17
    I am wondering why you don't have your navigation system checked out at the dealership where you purchased your Murano from you should still be under warranty. You can also update your Navigation system with NAVTEQ and get the latest updates so maybe you can give them a call. Their toll free phone nunber is: 888-628-6277. Hopefully this will let you keep your Murano instead of going to Lexus. If not we will miss you but but not your complaining.
    Expect to lose a bit less than a bad night at Bally's in A.C. ;)
  • emjay1emjay1 Member Posts: 22
    I drive a 2005 Murano and I love it - but it's time for something newer. I'm shopping around for a new car lease deal, and I've looked at the 2009 Murano, and frankly I don't like the interior detailing (or exterior colors) as well as my 2005! Is there anyone who is absolutely in LOVE with the new model - and can you tell me what the selling features are?
  • derbydudederbydude Member Posts: 2
    Get the LE in a light color like beige. Looks fantastic with the large wheels and silver top rack. Drives and rides unbelievably smooth. Great performance. Have had for two months and get tons of compliments from lookers and riders.
  • pbj3pbj3 Member Posts: 5
    I would like to say that I love my 2009 Murano S. a few months ago a posted a great safety concern (life and death) about the Start/Stop button for the engine and have not heard anyone else make this complaint. If you pull the key fob out and forget to push the Start/Stop button to turn the engine off, it continues to run very quietly.. therefore if you parked in your garage, your house will fill with carbon monoxide and you will die. I have been in touch with Nissan; their advice: "don't forget to push the button." Funny. If you leave your headlights on, there is a reminder noise. if you don't close a door, the remote will not lock the car... if you leave the engine on, you will die.... so be aware...
    WOW! I'd call that a major safety issue - as automated as they have everything else, you'd think Nissan would come up with a way to prevent this happening - like automatic shutoff after 30 seconds or something...

Thank you for sharing.
    I loved loved LOVED my 2006 Murano, but my lease was up. I painfully shopped for a new car for almost 3 months before deciding on the 2009 Murano LE. Nothing I test drove came close enough to the luxury and safety I feel in the Murano. That said, I still can't say I'm completely in love with the 09 like I was with my 06, but for wierd reasons--- mostly from my own doing. My 06 was white with beige interior. I decided to spice things up a bit with black/black this time around. Its a lot more work, especially when you have kids, but its one mean looking ride! I believe the interior of the 09 is more luxurious and feels more pulled together, like I'm even more protected than I was in the 06. I was in an accident in the 06, so safety is a BIG selling point for me. I used to tell people the only thing I didn't like about my 06 was that it didn't have one of those cool sunglass holders that pop down out of the ceiling. Well, the 09 has one! there are a few things they changed which boggle my mind, like the door pockets don't pop out now and the little compartment where I used to keep my spare change has now been moved to the other side of the shifter which makes it totally useless to the driver. But seriously, I could (and have) picked apart a lot of other cars for this kind of stuff. I drove several different models from Infiniti, Lexus, Ford, Mazda and Hyundai. When it comes right down to it, the safety and luxury of the Murano, as well as things like the continuously variable transmission, the dual sunroof, rear heated seats, the hard drive that lets you download CD's just blow away the other cars in its class and make it easy for me to overlook the little things that I wish hadn't changed. Hope this helps!
    It is funny how the little things make a difference - like the adjustable gas/brake pedal array in the '05 - which allows me (5'-2") and my husband (6'-2") to drive only adjusting the pedals in between trips, leaving the seat and steering wheel exactly the same. When I test drove the new 2009, it's gone! I also much prefer the radio and A/C array in the '05 to the almost-too-sterile array in the '09. And where did the Sunlit Copper exterior color go!? It's almost like you have to choose from primaries or beige. Hmph...

Oh - and the one complaint about the car is the silly sun visor issue - they get loose and hang down in the driver's way. Have you noticed anything different about the '09 sun visor design? Plastic on plastic is never good for the long haul.

I appreciate your comments - thank you!
    How do you like the black seats after a few hours parked in the summer sun? Toasty!!!
    I'll have to admit the first time I read your prior post complaining of this "great safety concern" I laughed. This reaffirm had me wanting to question it - nothing personal.

First off, I have no experience with an "S" model yet if you get out of my wife's 09 Mo with the fob and the engine running it starts beeping at you like crazy. Yours does not??

Second, the Nissan V6 is "relatively" quiet, yet if you can get out in a/your garage and walk next to and around the front of your car and not hear that it's still running,,, I would worry more about my hearing.. Then I would go out and purchase a CO2 detector that was "really" loud. :P

I too have never read or heard of any one else having this issue.

Seriously, I'm messing with ya but am curious if yours really doesn't make any beeping/warning noises if you walk off with the fob and the engine running?

Cheers
    how ridiculous is this.... I try not to park "facing" the sun : P. The leather on the black interior is just in my opinion nicer looking than the tan leather. something about the perforation on the tan leather just wasn't very appealing to me. Also, the monochrome color scheme on the dash & door trim wasnt as attractive on the tan. they had this tan vs. taupe that just didn't look good. Black on black is really just tight! and definitely hot : )
    OMG, seriously, I don't know how anyone can miss the beeping. the car is practically screaming at you if walk away from it. My 09 LE does it and my 06 SL did it too
    okay, i appreciate everyones good laugh/mocking over this, so let me answer your questions.. my model is a Murano S. I am not sure but i believe the LE and other models DO MAKE A WARNING NOISE ABOUT LEAVING THE ENGINE ON/ or have an engine cut off after five minutes. But, I repeat, THE MODEL S DOES NOT.
    Secondly, sounds like someone has the most spacious garage available... we do not. we cannot walk around the front of our car... we barely have room to get the car into the garage. the engine is wonderfully quiet... and having been driving for 40 years, the new technology of the Start/stop button would be perfect if one also did not have to use the fob at the same time... it actually adds an additional step to turning the engine on and off... so when we "old timers" pull the fob out, it feels like we have turned the engine off with a key... which explains why my husband left the engine running for 3 hours after he parked at the train station... Nissan told me there is no repair possible, no upgrading the ignition to the LE model type, no warning signal to be installed. they suggested i put a note on my dashboard to remind me...hope i have corrected your information
    I know with my 09 LE, I don't even need to put the key in that little hole in the dashboard of the car. Funny thing--- that's probably the one true reason I bought my first Murano (SL) back in December 2005. For me, the mere fact that I no longer had to fumble around looking for a key ring was the next best thing since maybe the discovery of electricity!!!! Truly stinks that they don't have a fix or a work-around for that problem. The quietness of this car is beautiful, but also a bit of a curse. I bought my 09 in March and it wasn't until late in April when we could finally open the windows up here in the cold northeast that I finally heard this awful whisle sound coming from the car when I accelerate. It took 3 trips to the service department and them telling me I'm crazy and me hunting around on line to finally find out there's actually a problem going on that needs to be fixed. I'm now waiting for the part to come in and just counting the days to when I no longer need to hear this horrible whistle!
    I have an 09 LE with the awesome 20" wheels. I had a vibration problem, but they found something wrong with the brakes and fixed it quickly.
    Today I pulled the key on my 09 sl in park with the engine running and 3 things occurred. 1. the engine kept running 2. there was one faint beep and 3. the message board in the dash lit up -NO KEY when I opened the door. It is what it is.
    to jayrider..
    a faint beep...not on mine. shouldn't the dashboard message say ENGINE ON or TURN ENGINE OFF? Do you know if your engine would have turned itself off after five minutes or would it stay on?
    i'm usually half way out of the car when i take the key out so i'm not really looking at the dash.... seems Nissan is much more concerned about telling you your door is open or your headlites are still on then reminding you that you might be asphixated ....
    No doubt about it -- it's a crappy set-up with dangerous possible consequences. Now that I know I'll stay vigilant.
  • nyernyer Member Posts: 32
    I purchased a 2009 SL AWD in May of 2008 and have about 9k miles. So far very satisfied and no problems. However, I am hearing a lot lately a rattling sound while driving as if it is coming from the windshield. Has anyone else been experiencing this? Also, is there a way to play an IPOD other than the adaptor that goes into the 12v outlet and plays through a radio station?
    The rattle near the windshield is most likely the black plastic trim piece that is located under the windshield wipers (on the exterior, lower area of the windshield. Many have found this piece to rattle/tap against the window causing an annoying rattle.

As for the IPOD.... Hopefully an aftermarket or factory IPOD adapter like found in the LE will surface... Many an owner looking for the answer to that question.

Cheers
    There are lots of posts on this problem. go into search mode or get old like me with audiology issues and a LOUD radio.
  • nyernyer Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the response to the rattling question. I will check it out. As for playing an IPOD, I picked up an auxiliary cable from Radio Shack for about $32 that plugs into the auxiliary outlets located behind the center console and the headphone jack on the IPOD. You hit the AUX button on your radio 2x, put the volume on the IPOD to its max, and play your songs. However, the IPOD does not charge while playing, since not integrated into the stereo system, and the playlists/songs are not displayed on your screen, but the sound quality is perfect like a CD!!! This will be great for my upcoming road trip :)
  • ashrimpashrimp Member Posts: 2
    Could you share what specific brake issue you got fixed?
    I too have the 09 LE and vibration problem. The dealership did 2 balance jobs and the vibration is still there.
    The problem I was experiencing was a pulsation or vibration when I was braking. The service report I got back from them when I picked up the car states: "... found front brake rotors have excessive amounts of run out which is above min specs. resurfaced the front brake rotors, reinstalled front brake pads...." and it took 1.3 hours. I don't know what any of that means, but the problem no longer exists! Hope this helps, good luck!
  • ashrimpashrimp Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. I actually have the vibration problem during drive(40~70mph). That is probably a differnt cause as yours.
  • shammoshammo Member Posts: 6
    This actually could be your problem. I haven't had the issue in my Murano, but in my 2004 Altima I started noticing a horrible vibration when I was braking at highway speeds. When I was driving on city streets it was not noticible at all.

I took it in several times and each time they would balance the tires and send me on my way. It wouldn't fix it so finally on the third time I told them to do a little more looking. About an hour later they called me up and said that the rotors were warped and needed to be replaced. I asked about retooling them, but they said they were too worn for that.

So I picked up the car and then got the rotors replaced and the car was perfect again. Couldn't believe it was such a simple fix. With that being said it could be your rotors giving you the problem. I'd take the car in and have them check. If it's a new car they should be able to fix it or replace the rotors in no time.
  • shammoshammo Member Posts: 6
    So after reading all this stuff about breaking I started to pay attention to my brakes and noticed a slight shake when braking at highway speeds.

So today when I went in for my first oil change at 3250 miles I had them check the rotors... and get this... They needed retooled! At 3250 miles. I'm not happy about that already, but the service manager told me that "rotors these days are made with crappy metal from crappy China". He also said that this problem occurs with all manufacturers, but at 3250 miles? Come on that's crap.
    I know. Its ridiculous. Mine was even newer. I noticed it within the FIRST MONTH. I've also had problems with a whistling noise when excelerating which took FOUR TRIPS to the nissan service to get it fixed. Actually, after visit #2, when they told me it was "normal", I searched the internet and that's how I ended up on this forum. It was here that I found it was infact a problem, as well as the service bulletin describing how it could be fixed. Gotta love the internet! Glad your problem is now fixed : )
    "They needed retooled! At 3250 miles. I'm not happy about that already, but the service manager told me that "rotors these days are made with crappy metal from crappy China". He also said that this problem occurs with all manufacturers."

The guy wasn't lying to you. Unless you purchase a vehicle with very high dollar performance brakes/rotors, you are bound to have "warped rotor" issues during your ownership. Some happen right away, some after 10s of thousands of miles. Much of which is caused by braking/driving styles and or driving conditions etc.

My wife's 09 Mo seems to be doing great at the 12K mark yet my Acura rotors warped before 5000 miles. Our 4WD Suburban had 90K miles before I even touched the front brakes - and it pulls a 6000lb boat!... You just never know. Many times the rotors will last much longer after machining. The initial miles and braking heat bring out the metal stresses then machining removes the results.

Overall, crappy rotors/metal is a true statement and a fact within the industry....

Cheers
  • kemmichkemmich Member Posts: 3
    on its way to my dealership from japan - the only person who will have driven it when i get it is service manager - i'm so excited.

silly question, but i got exactly what i wanted: SL, premium pkg, leather pkg, 360 pkg, AWD. tinted bronze with beige leather.

paid 33500 and got "excellent" rating for trade in per KBB.

i know it's a supply/demand market, and i know it's MOST important that i'm happy (which i am regardless, this is a deal i can manage), but does this sound like a good deal? i was just surprised that i didn't have to haggle more when i said "this is what i'm willing to do" - especially when it was a car "en route" - thoughts?
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    What was MSRP vs what you paid? If you paid more than invoice, you paid too much.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Revisions for the 2010 Murano include:

Murano LE FWD model added

Leather Package and Moonroof Package availability widened on Murano SL FWD

Privacy glass added on Murano S (now standard on all models)

Intelligent Key added as standard on Murano S and SL models

Simplified exterior and interior color combinations

Vehicle Security System added as standard on Murano SL

Dual Panel Moonroof now standard on Murano LE

Roof rails now standard on Murano SL