Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• juddsonrjuddsonr Member Posts: 15
    sirraf,

I recently test drove a white/gray limited without sunroof. 2nd row buckets though. Truck was in FL.
  • 3rd4rnnr3rd4rnnr Member Posts: 67
    ratom - I was very high on red rock. I thought it would look great with black exterior. but then i saw it on a couple Tundras and another Seq before I made my final call and it looked a little too orange. Still kind of neat, but I think by 6 months or so I would have regretted ordering it. I ended up ordering black with Tan on my seq. suppose to be here next week.
    why do you want one ??? You're whole post was about how you hated it ? That is fine, that is your opinion and I respect that but why on earth would you still be getting one ? Why don't you get a vehicle you like ???? I happen to love my new 08 Seq. I love everything about it, that is why I am driving it. Just curious.
    blows it away how. in terms of the dash board ? I guess it is all a matter of taster. I could car less if I have faux wood on my dash. it is all about power/power train, for me and hauling an 8,000 lb boat. for that this vehicle rocks.. (in my opinon better interior-wise than my old Escalade... was very pimp and very cheesy in comparison)
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    "if you havn't seen the Redrock interior it is UGLY. "

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :blush:
  • trebor129trebor129 Member Posts: 176
    I was able to install my own sonar. People said this would be too hard to do so before doing this I called a Toyota dealer and asked for a quote to add the factory system. They said they would not be willing to try as they did not want to drill into my bumper and would want to buy a new one pre-drilled and then paint it. That was too silly for me to bear so I tried it myself. Came out perfect and took me about three hours including all wiring for just the back.

Kit as it came. $120 delivered. Grey color is close enough to the Toyota Slate Metallic.

Connect positive to the reverse light which is a dark blue wire.
    Connect negative to the white wire with the black stripe.

The factory sensor locations are easy to find because there are marks inside.

I am satisfied with how they look. They work as expected but I need to try them out in the real world to be sure how I like it.

• hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    I have an '08 Sequoia with red rock interior and black exterior on order. I saw the red rock interior on a white Tundra crewmax and thought it looked great. I also liked the black door panels and black carpeting as opposed to the lighter grey or beige carpeting which I think is going to look dingy after a single boating season.

In the end, car manufacturers offer different colors because owners have different tastes. If that weren't true then we'd all be driving "black" because Edsel Ford said you could have any color model-T you wanted....... so long as it was black.
    I was ok with the redrock I drove. The silver trim was the weakness of it more than the color of the red rock. Graphite is by far the color to get.
  • eagle34eagle34 Member Posts: 22
    Qx is no slouch in powertrain dept either. Look at torque numbers. Remember this is the wife's rig. I haul my 7000lb boat with my Tundra. The 5.7 and six speed is an awesome package. A package that was bought for 28600. I don't expect to pay twice that for another row of seats, more roof and an antique nav system. The wife didn't go for the multi colored interior either. Can't understand why they aren't offering a black interior. Differences between Q and Sequoia go way beyond fake wood and 61 more hp. I'm sure the Sequoia is a fine vehicle. Just don't believe they will command these prices because of power train only. But as you stated it is a matter of the taster.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Has anyone here also considered the Lexus GX? It also has 3 rows and $ starts around 45k. Load it with NAV and Mark Levinson, the price is right around $50k. Understand the size and power are different, but sounds like the Lexus is a better buy.
  • keg97keg97 Member Posts: 189
    It is interesting b.c we actually loved the versatility of the 3rd row. It is, by far, the most comfortable of the 3rd rows for adults. That is important to us. You can fold down part of the 3rd row and still get stuff in part of it and our dog (a 65lb yellow lab) fit behind a raised 3rd row. She was not terribly comfortable but she could easily ride back there for the 3 hr trip to Hatteras, NC

As for the Red Rock interior, both my wife and I hated it, but we understand that people should have choices. The worst part on the Red Rock was seeing a true black carpet and interior panels. That should have been available as a stand-alone color.
    Nice rig and my wife really liked it, but it is being redesigned for '09. Plus we're talking totally different sizes. The GX is based upon the 4runner so you're comparing a 4runner to a Sequoia in terms of size.
    Agreed on the QX. Your choice, IMHO, btwn the QX and Sequoia is pretty basic- Do you want a luxury SUV or do you want a very nice truck/SUV? The Sequoia has a bit better powertrain but the interior and gizmos cannot compare to the QX. Different needs for different buyers....
    I think its good to have choices and the QX and Sequoia are 2 strong competitors. The Sequoia advantages are the size of the dealer network versus Infiniti unless you are right near one of their dealerships. Not sure if you would want to get a QX serviced at a Nissan shop.

The Sequoia wins on space since it has substantially greater interior space than the QX, there is simply more space in all 3 rows. This was the deciding factor for me.

I actually think the ride of the Sequoia is more comfortable than the QX which I found to have a more truck like ride than the Platinum I test drove.

The sound systems seemed comparable. The Xenon headlights go to the QX. The fit and finish of the interior goes to the QX. Much nicer.

Lastly is esthetics which of course is in the eye of the beholder. I find the Sequoia to be a much more attractive vehicle that the QX. To my eye the QX exterior appears cobbled together, almost like the designers were going out of their way to "unusually different". The B, C & D pillars look like they were each designed for a different vehicle. And the headlight placement is simply odd to my eye.

In the end I would have loved a Sequoia with the QX's interior however space can't be improved with aftermarket upgrades and it wasn't likely I would be happy over time with the smaller vehicle, so a Platinum Sequoia was the winner for me.
  • tbevertbever Member Posts: 39
    I love that extended sunroof! What option is that? ;)
  • tbevertbever Member Posts: 39
    I was at a local dealership a couple of days ago, test drove 08 LTD. The salesperson said the rear DVD option is not available in vehicles with the sunroof. Is this correct? He did say they did not have many vehicles on the lot yet and was not totally familiar with all the options.

My impressions:
    1. Much bigger than my 2001 Seq. The front hood is huge. There seems to be bigger blind spots but the side mirrors are also bigger.

2. Much more powerful with better acceleration.

3. The one I drove was fitted with 20 inch wheels. The ride was harsher than my 2001, but the handling was a bit better. The turning radius is noticeably better and it is easier to handle in tight parking lots.

4. The engine is louder. No wind noise on the freeway at 70 mph.

5. I like the dash layout. It is big but I am 6 2 and it is not a problem for me.

6. Less headroom with the sunroof but with the seat back and angled the way I like it still more than adequate headroom for me. There is noticeably less than the old sequoia.

7. The one I drove had fake wood trim on the dash. It looked horrible. They had 4 sequoias on the lot, all of which were fitted with the fake wood dash courtesy of Gulf States Toyota. Personally I would not buy one because of that.

8. Less room behind the 3rd row seats, but I usually leave out one of my 3rd row seats right now as it is, so for me being able to fold the 3rd row flat more than makes up for that. Getting into the third row seems to be much easier with the current seating configuration which slides forward rather than the prior flip and fold. Minivan is still easier though.

9. I like the styling better with the 2008 Seq vs 2001. I really was not a big fan of the front end of the 2001 anyway. They did something with the grill to make it better (can't remember what year). I also was not that happy with the dash but it was OK. I replaced all the electronics with an Alpine DVD/GPS system so it was not an issue.

10. Towing a 6000 lb boat/trailer with the 2001 seq was a bit too exciting for my likes and I am hoping the bigger engine with the 2008 will do better.
  • rliddellrliddell Member Posts: 2
    I am going to give you my opinion because I had narrowed down my purchase decision to a GX or an '08 Sequoia just last week. My wife had accompanied me on the test drive of the new Sequoia and her initial feeling was that it was too big (although only an inch longer and wider than my '04). Three days later we drove the GX. Her impression after that drive was,

"this is just too small. If we were buying it for me, it would be perfect, but for the main haul the family to the beach vehicle, it would be too small."

I went back to the Toyota dealer last Saturday and purchased an '08 Platinum Arctic White Metallic with red rock interior. I have driven it for a week and approximately 700 and can say that the truck is awesome and has exceeded all my expectation.
  • rliddellrliddell Member Posts: 2
    I went to the Toyota dealer last Saturday and purchased an '08 Platinum Arctic White Metallic with red rock interior. I have driven it for a week and approximately 700 and can say that the truck is awesome and has exceeded all my expectation.
    1. It is only one inch longer and one inch wider than your '01 (I had an '04)
    2. The engine and drive train are awesome, found myself merging onto the interstate last night at 90mph!
    3. Mine has the 20's, I don't notice the ride to be any more harsh than my '04 with 17's. Turning radius is much tighter.
    4. I had the Borla dual exhaust on my '04, so to me, the '08 is quieter.
    5. I agree, most of the most used controls work from the steering wheel.
    6. Can't comment on this, I only am 6 feet tall.
    7. Mine doesn't have wood trim, can't comment.
    8. I agree.
    9. I also like the redesigned Sequoia better.
    10. With over 400 ft-lbs of torque, towing anything should be a much more enjoyable.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Can you post some pics on your CarSpace page? I'd like to see some "real world" photos now that they are hitting the dealers. Thanks and congrats on the new ride!
    That is not true, a Platinum and Limited can be had with DVD res and moonroof.
    Mack
    kiiwwii - the lexus is much smaller, built on 4Runner frame and cant haul much 4 or 5,000 lbs i think
    I am done now with it all. I got the front in in another 2 hours. So all in all, I would say a 6 hour project. The cables are all concealed.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Pretty sweet.

Your first post would make a nice CarSpace Guide.

/hint :shades:
  • de77de77 Member Posts: 40
    Local dealers are already giving the Sequoia up for invoice in S. Florida, even though we have 2 on the lot. I didn't expect these vehicles to maintain top dollar for long, but this is a little faster than I imagined.

Keep in mind those reading from rural parts of the country, that we have Toyota dealers like we have Starbucks in Florida- practically on every street corner .
  • ratomlinsonratomlinson Member Posts: 26
    Wife wants the platinum but I am hesitant due to the captain chairs. I have read some messages about this but I would like to hear some more details on the pro/cons of having captains chairs versus bench seats. We have one child (1 year old) and maybe another down the road.

She likes the idea of having the better chair (lumbar support) in the back for when she is back there with our son. She also likes the idea of the console for storage.

I am uncertain if the having the child in a captain chairs (on side of vehicle) is as safe as being in the center of the vehicle on the bench.

Can someone provide a pro/con list? I'm sure there are many things we are not thinking of....also, this would be our first SUV.
    Your child will be very safe on the captain's chair. Remember you have side curtain airbags to protect in case of a side collision.
    :shades:
    We are in a similar situation as you. We have a 3 YO who currently sits in the middle of our Pathfinder and loves having her mother sit next to her on drives. Wife is pregnant and due in March.

We'd love to get captain's chairs and I can't even tell you why beyond the fact that they look nicer and classier and that we'll have easier separation of the kids in a couple of years. However, we're most likely/definitely getting a bench seat. Our thought is this....new baby gets the middle seat. 3 YO gets the passenger side bench seat. That leaves a the driver side bench seat for an adult or as our pass through into the 3rd row. We fully intend to use the 3rd row for adults and did not want to deal with the car seat issue and trying to fold captains chairs that already hold two car seats since we plan to keep our 3 YO in her car seat for at least another year or two before we move her into a booster seat. This is huge considering the console in the Platinum is not removeable.

Our final thought is just that it seems more practical to use the full size and versatility of the bench seat instead getting the captain's chairs for the wrong reasons (ie "the look"). After all, you're probably buying the Sequoia for the size of it.

Some of this obviously depends on how far down along the road you plan on another kiddo and how long you usually keep vehicles.

Just my $.02. Good luck!
    "Our thought is this....new baby gets the middle seat. 3 YO gets the passenger side bench seat. That leaves a the driver side bench seat for an adult"

Yes, this is the exact setup we use. I highly recommend it.
  • mommytruckmommytruck Member Posts: 10
    Where in S Fl are you we are heading to Tampa in a couple of weeks and thought we would look there. We live in NW FL and have two dealers within 45 miles in either direction, but they only have a couple of 08's on the lot and I would like a larger selection, but I also want to see it before deciding which one to get. Any dealers you could recommend?
    Thanks
  • raab4raab4 Member Posts: 3
    Toyota of Tampa Bay has offered me invoice on my choice. I had driven a Platinum there last weekend and it sold but they are willing to deal on whatever they have or what I would order.

I have had a Tahoe or Surburban since 1990. I have loved them and currently have a 2007. We feel the Sequoia is now a better choice. The rear seats on a Chevrolet do not function really well for getting in and out of the third row when you use it. We love the fold flat storage as we can put luggage in on our travels but have the seats for passengers when we get where we are going. Love the towing capacity and it drives very well with more power than the Chevy.

My son has a Titan and the parking and turning radius is so much worse than the Chevy or Toyota. There is no way I would consider the Infiniti or the Nissan. We have not cared for the service department with the Nissan. I wonder if there is a website that tells you the number of cars or suvs that have used the lemon law on each of these brands. I have had an associate at work that gave back her Infiniti on the lemon law.

I don't think there is one right choice because everyone uses there vehicle differently. I do think the sequoia is definitely a good choice. I wonder how many other long time Chevy owners will feel the same.

Happy New Year!
  • reggie6reggie6 Member Posts: 26
    Just wait until you start driving carpools when the kids get a little older, the bench seat is the best. You get the most flexibility with a bench seat and most of the times its kids in the second and third rows....they don't really need the comfort of a captains chair yet...give them something to look forward to for a day in the future. And for a new mother with an infant....the captain chairs are not an advantage when you are sitting so far apart from your baby you have to lean over the entire middle console to find that pacifier, or put the bottle back in their mouths! Trust me, I have had a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota LC, MB ML 350, MB ML 500, GMC Yukon Denali Xl, Cadillac Esclade ESV and currently a 2007 Yukon Denali XL. Two kids, three dogs and lots of junk that we always have in tow.
  • snw1975snw1975 Member Posts: 16
    "I don't think there is one right choice because everyone uses there vehicle differently. I do think the sequoia is definitely a good choice. I wonder how many other long time Chevy owners will feel the same."

Long time Toyota owner that just bought a Suburban here! We needed the extra room the Suburban offers over the Sequoia, and yes we needed the price tag as well with a stay at home Mom.

We have a 1.5 year old and a 3.5 year old and we love the Captains chairs over our bench in our old 4 Runner.

Ever tried putting two siblings beside each other? It just didn't work for us. One wouldn't sleep when the other was playing and vice versa.

As stated before it depends what you are using it for. We personally like having through way access to the back seat. Plus if you ever take adults on a trip of an hour or more the captains chairs are awesome compared to a bench.

I think it also depends on how easy the 2nd row bench pops out for access to the 3rd row. In a lot of SUV's it seems the 3rd Row seat is ok for an adult once they get back there. However, they need to be a kids size to get through the second row to get there..

The most comfort in a 3rd row is with captains chairs to stretch your legs through the middle in my opinion.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I thought air bags and children did not mix? My 9 year old grandson was injured by an air bag in a minor fender bender. I would think a side air bag would jolt a child's head pretty hard.
  • snw1975snw1975 Member Posts: 16
    Not if it is disabled.
    The curtain airbag actually cushions the occupants head in a side collision. Front airbags are a different story, Always put kids in the middle or third row seats.
  • amheck1amheck1 Member Posts: 44
    Stadium Toyota would be another I'd recommend. they are right up Dale Mabry from the Bucs stadium. i've talked to their internet department, and have gotten offers of $500 over invoice. We bought our 2004 4Runner from them and were very happy with everything.
    I am looking to use third row space for transporting luggage & dogs. For those of you who have had or do have a 2007 or prior year Sequoia, which vehicle has the most third row storage capacity -

a 2007 or prior year Sequoia with the third row seats removed OR a 2008 Sequoia with the seats folded flat?

Secondly, how difficult is it to totally remove/replace the third row seats on a 2007 or prior year Sequoia? I would only being doing it once or twice a year.
    Does anyone have information related to a Sequoia Hybrid?

Based on the Yukon Hybrid information, what might be the best gas mileage that a Sequoia Hybrid could muster?

What would be the towing limit implications if any?
  • mittie1mittie1 Member Posts: 11
    I wonder if you could purchase a Platinum Sequoia then order a bench seat with all of the hardware and have it installed? This would make the Platinum the perfect vehicle.

Has anyone tried this and if so what would be the cost?
    Just get a Limited and order the Platinum badges for the outside.
  • gananganan Member Posts: 20
    Re your second question
    I have a 2001 Limited where I have removed the third row seats for a few years now. It is very simple, only takes a momment. If you had to, you could remove them and put them back every day without much difficulty.

I can't comment on your first question re 2008 space versus 2007 space but I am interested in the same thing. I currenty have my second row seats tumbled up and with the third row removed, have ample space for bikes, skiis, snowboard etc.

I am concerned about the available length and height of the space behind the front seats with the 2008 configuration compared to the older versions. I am also concerned about how level the arrangement is with the second row seats folded. It looks like the third row folds flat to the floor while the second row folds forward but is nowhere level with the floor. Our dealer will only get their first models in a couple of weeks so I have only seen pictures to date.

Hopefully this won't be a deal stopper for me as I would like to purchase the 2008 since my 2001 has 185,000 miles on it.
  • samcemsamcem Member Posts: 5
    I finally took the plunge. Thank you all for the information provided here especially trebor129. I brought home a fully loaded SR5. Based on previous comments I’d like to mention the following:
    The 4WD has options for 2WD (best gas mileage), limited slip 4x4 High, limited slip 4x4 low (off road), or there is a button to lock the differential. Basically the best of all worlds. I think I remember reading that the limited slip mode was between 60/40 to 30/70 front/rear based on traction.
    The SR5 has heated exterior mirrors (with the cold weather package).
    The Moonroof (MR) and Rear Entertainment (EY) can be used together without problems.
    The SR5 with all the options is the best value purchase.
    The drive: With the power assisted steering, the turning radius, the beefy 5.7L engine, the smooth suspension, I think the designers wanted the Sequoia to feel like you were driving a car. It does. For better or worse you don’t get the sense that you are driving a 3 ton vehicle. I miss driving the BMW 330i which was so much fun to drive. The Seq is pleasant but nothing more.
    I think it’s best to think of the Sequoia as a utility vehicle and not a luxury vehicle. When you need the space and want a really nice SUV for a relatively reasonable price, the choice for me was the Sequoia. Paying $10,000+ more for faux wood and prestige didn’t appeal to me.
    I got the Cassis Pearl ext and the Graphite int. I really like the interior color and the exterior is really growing on me.
  • regrahamregraham Member Posts: 26
    I have noted several comments on the Red Rock (R/R) interior over the past couple of months, including my own, and have a suggestion for Toyota execs (I assume they read this Forum).

Like many other posters, I feel the color is to "orange" and too much. Have you seen the advertisement featuring the Chev Malibu LTZ interior (Jan/08 Motor Trend page 90 - 95)? What a beautiful interior and on a $26,995 car. I'm not sure what Chev calls the color but it could be described as R/R. Not quite as orange and lots of black. Only the seat "inserts" are R/R, not the entire seat. Also, the door and dash inserts have the R/R color, but to a lesser degree.

Perhaps Toyota could do a mid-year change and modify the R/R interior color accordingly? I wish they would as that's the color I would re-consider (see previous comment #710).
    As I said before, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I doubt Toyota execs have the time to read these forums. I looked at the interior of the Malibu in the similar to red rock and to me it looks hideous. Don't hold your breath on a mid-year change especially since it's only available on the production Platinum which is not the volume seller.
  • samcemsamcem Member Posts: 5
    I’ve seen the same color on a Maserati and it seemed to fit the car. Maybe the Sequoia just isn’t exotic enough to pull it off. :blush:
    Here's an alternative opinion on the Red Rock interior - I recently ordered a Red Rock interior on a Black exterior Platinum. I did so after driving a Metallic Slate Platinum with the grey interior. I also drove a Tundra CrewMax Limited (White Pearl) with a Red Rock interior. After driving the Tundra I really liked the Red Rock interior. Apparently some folks are going to like it and some aren't. I see no reason why they would need to change the Red Rock so long as enough customers like it and order it. To be honest, I hope less folks order it which in turn will make my Black/RR combo unique compared to other Sequoias on the road.

I will say that if a Slate Metallic Platinum had been available with an all black interior that would have been my first choice. I would have even considered the RR interior with a Metallic Slate exterior, however that combination is not offered. I think that both the light grey and light beige interior colors will eventually look dingy, particularly for those Sequoias that will be towing horse trailers, boats, campers, ATVs or transporting kid's sports team as there will likely be a fair amount of dirt tracked into the vehicle. Light colored carpets will not look particularly attractive after a few seasons of towing these "toys". I speak from first hand experience with a light colored interior on a Denali XL which shows the wear and stains on the carpet.

Consequently the Red Rock interior with black carpeting and black door panels with a Black exterior will have the sharpest look (IMO) and will still look sharp several years down the road when compared against other Sequoia's with a light grey or light beige interior. Just my $.02.
    Where did you drive a Tundra Crewmax Ltd with white pearl paint? That is not an available finish on the Tundra, only on the Sequoia Platinum, Arctic frost.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I have not seen any information online about a possible Sequoia Hybrid. There's really no way to know what the mileage and towing specs will be, considering that we have no idea what the powertrain would be.

If Toyota builds a Sequoia hybrid in the next couple years, I would be greatly surprised if its mileage is much greater than the Tahoe Hybrid. After all, it takes a lot of energy to push a 5000+ SUV through the wind at 60 mph. But that is just my speculation.
    I drove a loaded white Crewmax Limited Tundra with Red Rock interior and custom wheels at the local Toyota dealer in Flemington NJ. The Manager had the vehicle ordered as his personal truck and for demo use. It looked like a pearl white to me. I believe they call it Super White. To be honest, I was more interested in looking at the interior than the exterior color, since this was the only place to see how a Red Rock interior might look in a Sequoia.

Here's a link to the truck and pictures of its Red Rock interior. http://james-toyota.ebizautos.com/shared/viewer.aspx?&iid=2482596&src=eBizAutos&- pid=1 The Red Rock leather seats are slightly different in the Sequoia from the Tundra since the Sequoia has perforated leather to accommodate the ventilated seats.