Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Transmission Problems

Comments

• kuwkuw Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2011
    Not sure there is enough information to be gleaned from this thread to make any judgments on the statistics.

I think inasmuch as this issue spans several model years, there IS a problem.

I’ve had the recall work done. The noise seems to be “minimized” at the suspect speeds. But, it appears to be showing up at higher speeds (maybe I’m just overly tuned to noises now….). Also, while it’s only been a gas tanks worth of driving since the work was completed – it’s looking like I’ve lost some MPG (between 1.5 and 2). Perhaps it’ll average out to what it was prior to the work (15.8).

I’m not confident that this recall is the solution. I’m afraid it is a software fix for a hardware problem.
  • tpulaktpulak Member Posts: 44
    Maybe it is not a final statement,

But how can the rest of the thousands of MDX owners be explained for their trouble-less years of driving??

I am still quite convinced that this problem is not widespread.

For those with the faulty transmissions, I would recommend quelling this problem by driving on "D4" gear in the city, and using "D5" only on the highway. Doing so reduces the shifting stress occurring in the 35-40 mph speed zone.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Forever and a day, 4WD owners have known to abide by the "edict";

"Never run in 4WD mode, front and rear drive coupled together, except on sustained low traction conditions. Do otherwise and you will soon suffer the consequences."

So here now we have a relatively NEW F/awd system that PRE-EMPTIVELY engages the rear drive, couples the front and rear drives together, each and every time you accelerate from a low speed. Additionally, it also does so in the worse of conditions insofar as driveline component over-stressing is concerned, while turning on a highly tractive surface.

So it should be no surprise to anyone when the driveline components of these F/awd systems begin to fail, PRE-MATURELY FAIL.
  • bthomp3124bthomp3124 Member Posts: 1
    I wish I'd looked at this site prior to purchasing this vehicle. All service on my MDX has been done by an authorized ACURA dealership. In November I had the transmission serviced, at their suggestion, and they said I needed a Recall for the transmission done since I had it in the shop. I picked it up and immediately I started having major issues. A grinding noise, delays in the torque converter, and the transmission would shift between 5th and 4th while driving. The dealer "David McDavid Acura of Austin" says that this is very unusual and that there have been no problems reported to Acura or them of any transmission problems. They want to sell me a rebuilt transmission for only $4,400. I'm going to give ACURA a chance to do the right thing and stand behind their product.
  • sommerfallsommerfall Member Posts: 7
    Google "American Honda Motor Service Bulletin 06-003" and you will find the pdf of the Acura service bulletin addressing the torque converter issue. I took this to my dealership and they did stand by their automobile and replaced the torque converter at no charge. My car had 109,000 miles on it and was out of warranty by about 8K. They replaced it last August, about 9K miles ago. So far, no problems with the replacement. Maybe I shouldn't say that out loud!
    Good luck, hope the service bulletin # helps.
  • codog3codog3 Member Posts: 12
    bulletin good for 05-06 models. The 03-04 MDX's get screwed
    My car is a 2004.
    Yes you're right - 03 and 04 models. I was thinking of the service bulletin for the PCM update that is for the 05's and 06's.

Sommerfall - seems like we have the same vehicles. I purchased my 04 MDX as a certified pre-owned with 54k miles on it. I now have 107k.

I called Acura customer service and they said they would help out, but needed to be diagnosed by a dealer. I assumed they may offer to half of their inflated dealer price for a transmission. Still don't want to shell out $2k.

Did you say they paid 100%. Was your MDX a CPO? Do you bring you MDX in for service at the dealer regularly? I do a lot of maintainence myself, so I have brought it back to the dealer since I bought it (I do have receipts of having the transmission fluids changed at a honda dealer though).
    I purchased my vehicle, used, with 57K miles on it. I bought the extended warranty, kicking myself several times for spending the money. UNTIL, I started hearing the funny "whirring" noise and feeling like the transmission was slipping. I had all servicing done at our ACURA dealership and had brought my car in at least 5 times to have someone figure out what the problem was. The said, each time, that they couldn't duplicate what I was hearing, didnt think anything was wrong. then I found this forum and started search around on google to see what additional info I could fine. My dearlership was GREAT, but only after we showed up with all our work orders showing that we reported the issue time after time AND had a copy of the Service Bulletin. I'm not sure what a CPO is???
    CPO is a "Certified Pre-Owned". Basically a used Acura bought from the dealer with an extended warranty. Was your warranty through Acura? And the first time you brought it in was the vehicle still under warranty?
    Yes, it was an Acura warranty and yes, the first time I brought it in it was still under warranty.
  • acurajoeacurajoe Member Posts: 5
    Just realized that there was so many other mdx'ers with transmission problems. Well I have a 2002 Acura Mdx 2nd owner, with 160k and transmission problems. I just found out it was recalled, and tranny was replaced in 2004 when it had 43k. I called acura client services like other mdx'ers did told them about my problem. I was advised to take it into the dealer and have a diagnostics but i will have to pay for it, and if it was for the same reason they would fix it and refund me the diagnostics fee. The dealer calls me 4 hours after and confirms the tranny problem and had already called Acura to advise them of my problem. 3 days later dealer calls me and informs me that Acura cant help me and i had to pay the full amount of repair which was 5600 they offered discount on parts but still was 5400. What am I to do now? is there a class action lawsuit goin on, if so i want in on this.
    Sounds to me as if the dealer "suckered" you, I can't imagine Acura standing behind a failed transaxle at 160,000 miles.
    But im not giving up. Im planning on complaining to acura once more and see where that takes me. I will post results
    No harm in trying.
    edited January 2011
    no way - especially since that vehicle already got one free tranny replacement.

Some dealers are scummy. My back up camera died during the cpo and the first dealer I called said to bring it in for "diagnostics". I'd have to pay for that.

The second dealer I called was up front over the phone and said CPO doesn't cover electronics. :mad:
  • saramarie1saramarie1 Member Posts: 1
    So, was Acura willing to help?

I'm very frustrated right now. About 18 months ago I had to fork out 5200.00 to replace the transmission on my 2003 MDX. It only had about 110k miles on it at the time. Then about 6 months ago I noticed my car was leaking transmission fluid. Took it on to the dealership who ended up doing another 2500.00 worth of work on the transmission and replacing the torque converter. Now here I am today with the same problem yet again. My transmission is leaking. I've already sunk 7,700.00 into this freakin transmission and still it doesnt work. It might not hurt so bad if I still didnt owe 15,000 on it. I'm frustrated and really let down. Anyone have any suggestions??
  • jslivonjslivon Member Posts: 57
    Your original transmission replacement was under a 3yr./36,000 mile warranty. I'm not sure why you had to pay more money for repairs after 18 months unless you exceeded the 36,000 miles.

Anyway, DEMAND that the dealer contact their California office about compensation or find a new dealer. We had out 03 MDX transmission replaced at 108k miles and Acura paid 90% of the cost, but only after I argued with them after the first two offers were too low.

Also, file a complaint with BBB and the government recall agency.
    Hi Acura MDX Owners,

Besides your transmission problems, look out for your two serpentine belt-tensioner pulleys to need replacement after 130k miles. I noticed my serpentine belt wobbling a little at idle on the top idler pulley. Sure enough, the bearings were going bad. I didn't need a whole new tensioner assembly, just the two pulleys that cost about $45 total at the local parts store. It's not an easy job and only recommended for the "mechanically inclined".

If a pulley were to fail, it could sling off the serpentine belt and possibly damage the water pump and/or alternator, not to mention leaving you stranded on the side of the road. Keep in mind, these serpentine belts are only good for 60,000 miles and need periodic replacement. Just because you take your car in for regular oil changes, doesn't mean they inspect and take care of all these little problems.

We'll be buying a Ford after our replacement transmission warranty expires.
    saramarie1

I never replaced the back-up camera and as for the transmission I drive in D4 unless I go on the highway.

Does it really cost $5k for a transmission? How much at an independent shop?
    You could probably save, or extend, the life of your transmission if you were to add a switch so you can turn the power to the rear drive clutches on and off. OFF unless you have reason to suspect low roadbed traction.
    basically what I am doing. Driving in d4 and only putting the car in D5 on the highway
  • seasleyseasley Member Posts: 1
    Where do I get information and argument points to take to the dealership? How did you get data on previous transmissions?
    Search this blog and you'll find Acura Bullitens, references to Acura customer service in CA, links to file complaints and other disastified customers comments and suggestions.

Also Google Acura MDX transmission problems and see where it leads. Print the important stuff and take it to the dealer and rub their nose in it.

But also, read the owner manual maintenace schedule and decide if you have a ligitimate complain. Was your vehicle's transmission maintained with the recommended fluid changes? Acura appears to be handling this case-by-case. Depends how long you had it and who services it, and if you'd remain loyal to Acura/Honda.
  • nomdxnomdx Member Posts: 2
    My advice to ALL potential car buyers... Learn from our expensive mistakes and do NOT buy Acura/Honda vehicles. Bought used 2003 Acura in early 2004 with minimal milage still under Mnf. Warranty of 50,000 miles. Car have recurrent grinding, shudders, and hesitations @ approximately 25-40 mph causing NEAR accidents despite regular service @ primarily Acura Dealers. Problem diagnosed by Acura dealer as Torque Converter problem requiring transmission replacements in 2006 @ 53,000 miles and again in 2007 @ 61,900miles. The dreaded Torque Converter problem returned AGAIN around 119,000 miles Dec. 2010 requiring yet another transmission replacement. Basically, this car will have FOUR different transmissions in it's life time. This is a SAFETY nightmare waiting to happen to you, me, neighbors, friends, and our family...if it has not happened already.

Please help me officially inform Acura/Honda of THEIR transmission problems by calling 1-800-382-2238 and file a complaint directly with them so that they can no longer pretend a major problem exists AND report the problem to the Transportation agency NHTSA @ 1-888-327-4236 or www.safercar.gov.
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    I don['t give advice. However, I can share my experience with Hondas and Acuras. We have owned Toyotas and then Honda/Acura products since the 1970s and we have excellent cars that with four kids, 2 dogs performed very well and with few repair issues.

Our 78 Honda, 87 & 89 Acuras, and now our 08 Acura and my wife's 06 Pilot we have had no issues. We do service our vehicles according to the specs and I would say my wife of 46 yrs. and myself have driven our vehicles in excess of 150k and then sold them.

And no, I am not connected to Acura/Honda/fill in here dealers and I am not connected to the auto industry except here when I post a few comments.

Our son in Illinois has over 200k and his 96 Honda is still going strong.

I know my experience is different than some, but I had multiple breakdowns with Chryslers, Dodges, and Chevrolets.

I will continue to purchase Hondas and/Acurs in futuro. (Everything I have said, is JMO.)

Good luck to all and stay safe. :)

jensad
    Well i have the day off and decided to call Acura client relations one more time. They asked for vin # reviewed my recent calls about my transmission going out. The Rep was most helpfull, i asked for goodwill or a bigger discount on replacing it. He then put me on hold and came back telling me he would send it for another review with the district case manager. they gave me a case# he added that there was no guarranty but worth a try.
    he tried several times to actually get a district manager to talk to me but none were available at the time. but they would call me today or tommorow at the latest.
    So there is still some hope.
  • dc1225dc1225 Member Posts: 53
    Hi all. I unfortunately recently purchased a 06 Acura MDX with 69,000 miles on it. It was a trade in sold by Toyota dealership. It seems that the previous owners dumped this mdx because of the tranny problem and now I've inherited the problem. I am not very mechanically inclined and I didn't realize that it had "judder" issue when I purchased the vehicle. It became more evident after couple weeks. I tried to return the vehicle to Toyota dealership but to no avail. I ended up taking the car to Acura dealer(at 71000 miles) and they agreed that it had a "judder/shutter" problem and replaced the torque converter and PCM Software update under warranty(06 MDX warranty have been extended to 73,000 miles from 70,000 miles due to Honda lawsuit).

Right now its been about a week since the TC replacement and I can still hear the transmission shuttering/juttering/rattling problem. Its not as noticeable as previously but you can hear it judder/shutter or maybe its "whistling" around 20mph(slightly, you have to listen for it w/ the radio off but its that same judder/shudder sound, I KNOW I'll have same problem down the road). It seems that the only thing software update did is to move the shutter/problem from 30MPH to 20MPH, thereby just transferring the problem but not completely fixing it per se.

I will be taking my MDX back to the same acura dealer and possibly demanding that they replace the entire transmission because in my eyes/ears, there still is a judder problem(just not as loud). My questions are:
    -will Acura warranty transmission warranty FIX this issue permanently or band aid it?
    -is there a permanent fix?
    -Exactly what does acura trans replacement under warranty do? rebuild tranny? refurbed? remanufactured?
    -What is the best way to go back and tell them to replace my transmission? I know they're going to try to hide the problem since I am 2000 miles away from my warranty running out. They're def. going to fight me so I have to be smart about it.

I'd really appreciate any input on this. I am very frustrated and disappointed with this headache. This has been giving me migraines. I can't believe that I am stuck with this car for another 5 years. I have 00 RL with 118k miles which still runs great which is why I bought another acura but what a big mistake that was....never again, I live and learn, once bitten twice shy and eventhough I LOVE Acura's but no more Acura for me after this headache.
    Did the transmission replacement fix the issue?
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Guys, please go here and file a complaint on this issue....I know there are alots of attorneys that are currently laid off and are looking to make money. Anyone know any good class action attorneys?
  • nomdxnomdx Member Posts: 2
    Jensad, you and your family are blessed with good experiences with your Honda/Acura cars and I truely hope your luck continues.....
    I just took 3+ hours to read the entire 50 something pages. If you are reading this because you have the same tranny problem like the rest of us....

1) there is no permanent fix...only permanent fix is to get rid of the vehicle entirely
    2)PCM software update will not fix the issue
    3)replacement TC will go bad again
    4)replacement Transmission will go bad again
    5)If you are unable to get rid of the vehicle, it seems that the best solution so far is to push for entire transmission and torque converter replacement from Acura and get the 3 year 36k warranty and hope that if it goes bad again, it'll go bad within the warranty period.
    6)fo0o0o0o0o0o0ock me!
  • notey34notey34 Member Posts: 3
    So, we took our 2005 MDX (89K miles) for the Torque Converter recall about a month ago. After they "fixed it" we noticed it was still shuttering. So, we took it back to them and they REMOVED THE TRANSMISSION, replaced a few other things and the shutter went away. That was 3 weeks ago.

Today, I was driving and noticed the D5 light started blinking. In reviewing other internet posts, it can mean the transmission is going out or a switch is overheating/failing. I'm not experiencing any other problems so he said that it is probably the switch and that sometimes that happens when a transmission is removed and put back in. So, I took it into the Acura dealership today and they are currently looking into it. On the phone, I said "it wouldn't cost anything to get the switch replaced...right?" He went on to say well if you don't have the extended warranty, then yes. I'm going to fight this one for sure...they had to pull the transmission because of the torque converter recall....I'm sure that is what is causing it....it's just a coincidence that 3 weeks after they worked on the trasmission that now it the D5 light is blinking?

Any suggestions?
  • wallabyguywallabyguy Member Posts: 20
    Well I had the ECU remap done and I could see the problem lessen but it was still there occasionally. Now, about 4 weeks later, I suddenly get a tapping and check engine light. Within a few hundred feet the all wheel drive light comes on as well. A quick OBD-II check shows a cylinder 4 misfire but the engine was just inspected and the oil changed by the Acura dealer who performed the ECU remap a few weeks prior. Honda/ Acura will get one shot at fixing this issue if it ends up being somehow related to the TC. If they don't I'm moving forward with a lawsuit. Enough is enough. They knew/ know there is a problem, denied it, then throw out some half-[non-permissible content removed] patches which only work, according to a manufacturer service manager about 1/2 of the time and still let this to continue.

Check out the FB page dedicated to this issue.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Owners-Dealing-with-Acura-MDX-Problems/13568474- 3139321
  • notey34notey34 Member Posts: 3
    If I bought the car in 2008 Certified Pre-Owned from Acura...wouldn't this be covered under the 7 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty?
    "..1) there is no permanent fix..."

Wrong.

You could pull the fuses that power the drive to the rear clutches and dramatically extend the life of your transaxle. The other possibility is to put a switch in series with the power to the rear drive clutches and only power them under KNOWN low traction conditions.
    Dam WWest, who da hell know how to do that? Also, how do you know if that fixes it? How do you know if that messes with other parts of car function?

I had my TC replaced by dealership under waranty and PCM update. It lessened the shudder but the problem seems to be still there, just not as loud. Took it back week later because it was making minor shudder/whining/whistling noise and complaied to dealer and asked them to replace the entire transmission and they would not. They said they ran diagnostics on the tranny and they could not find nothing wrong. Also they said that its the bearings that's making the noise and its "normal" compared to other vehicles so they will not even open up the tranny to look at it. unreal

So this TC/Tranny problem is Normal guys according to my Acura dealership.
  • motherof3inctmotherof3inct Member Posts: 1
    Do all MDXs have transmission problems? I am looking to purchase a new midsize SUV with a third row (MDX, X5, LX470 or XC90). I see that there are major transmission issues with the MDX, particularly in the 2005/2006 models. Does anyone know if the 2010 or 2011 will have the same transmission issues? Has Acura fixed the problem? I have not been able to find this info anywhere.

Purchasing a car is overwhelming! It seems like all the cars have reliability issues. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
  • mdxtech2011mdxtech2011 Member Posts: 3
    Myself and several other 2010/2011 mdx owners are experiencing a slight metallic knocking noise in our vehicles at speeds between 0 - 25. Dealers cannot pinpoint the source of this issue. Someone that's a master tech at a forum mentioned that the noise is originating from the transmission. Dealers Acura/Honda are not being forthcoming if this is the case. Being in the situation I would not buy the mdx if I had to do it over again. But it may be something they can fix (pcm or knock sensor adjustment) Don't know.

Having a $60,000 vehicle that sounds like its got a diesel engine was not part of my plan. Not knowing what's causing the noise for months now has given me a bad view of Acura. I've also been told by the dealer that its normal for the car to sound this way. Yeah so Acura intentionally made a vehicle that knocks.
  • dvo1dvo1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out what was wrong with your tranny? I am having the exact same problem on my 2001 MDX with 152k miles on it. Please let me know what the dealer told you. my email is dtvo2005 @ gmail.com.

Thanks...
    During acceleration below 25MPH(20?) your "center diff'l" is locked, or at least partially so. On a highly tractive surface that will result in a LOT of undue stress on the drive train components. That stress level is often so high, say during a fairly tight accelerating turn, to the point that something MUST give.

In an actual 4WD in this situation it would most likely result in "tire hop"/scrubbing as a way to relieve the additional stress. In the early VTM-4 MDX that "give" was obviously provided by the torque converter (lockup clutch?) resulting in widespread premature failures of that component.

Your slight metallic knocking noise may be the result of slippage of whatever component, weakest link, must provide the required "give" when accelerating, even lightly, on a non-slippery, tractive, surface
    mother of 3, look elsewhere. Being mother of 3, this is headache that you do not need. I realize that all cars have problems but transmission/engine problems are the worst and most costly problems cars can have. You will not have a piece of mind owning an MDX. I'd lean toward X5 or RX350. I I believe BMW has 100k mile warranty now on power train, etc...Acura got rid of the 3rd row seat so all things being equal, X5 and RX350 comes out way ahead even if you have to pay bit more.
    4runner..?
    eaaaeewwwwwww, I don't really consider 4runner a "luxury", "high end" though.....
    Lexus GX or LX470 then..?
    You mentioned "warranty" and Acura has a 100k for the mdx and the rl and I am sure for their other vehicles. We got one for our rl as we have in the past experienced tranny issues on other vehicles we had purchased. And after putting out $$ previously for previously owned vehicles, we decided to cover our axx this time.

We learned from bad experiences and I hope the readers don't have to learn the way we did.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
    I need to add as I forgot about a 1978 honda that was used by our children that had a tranny failure. Fixed it and then we got another 10 k out of it and then old. Sorry for the screw up.

jensad
  • slstevens1028slstevens1028 Member Posts: 1
    Yay for me! I just took my Acura MDX 2006 in and at first they were going to replace the entire transmission, but then they said it is only the torque converter. So more or less you are telling me the car I spent over $35K on is a piece of [non-permissible content removed] and I should never invest in honda again. I have 72K miles on it and planned to drive it for another 5 years. Does not look like that is the case...

Has anyone thought of a class action suit? I asked if they planned to do a recall on the transmission and then stated "Since it is not a safety issue, we legally are not liable to"