Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Engine Problems

Comments

• lulusboutiquelulusboutique Member Posts: 16
    Hello my name is Christina,
    My timing chair broke which cracked the head gasket, bent 4 values, and to replace 1 injector. I had a qualified mechanic shop fix this of course could only by the parts from Mazda dealer..Total $3,100.00 ($1300. labor charge), but runs great for now, had it towed to MAZDA DEALER IN CONROE, TEXAS (DONT GO THRU THEY WILL SCREW YOU ALL AROUND)

MAZDA DEALERSHIP TOLD ME MY ENGINE WAS FROZEN AND HAD TO BE REPLACED WITH A REBUILT ENGINE ONLY $7500.0 HAD THE TOW CO GO BACK AND PICK UP MY CX THE SAME DAY TOOK IT BACK TO WHERE I HAD IT DONE AND THIS IS WHERE THEY FOUND ALL THE PROBLEMS.

MY MECHANIC SAID THE PROBLEMS IS WITH THE SERVICE BULLENTIN ISSUE ALL MAZDA OWNERS BEWARE AS THIS SERVICE BULLENTIN REPORT IN 2008 VVT PROBLEM WITH CONTINUE TO GREAT WORSE IF NOT TAKEN CARE OF. I JUST PICKED UP MY VEHICLE ON 3/3/2010 HAD BEEN IN THE SHOP FOR 3WEEKS, THEY TOOK 3DAYS TO FIX BUT MAZDA DEALERSHIP TOOK FOREVER TO HAVE THE PARTS FOR MY MECHANIC.

I AM GOING DIRECTLY TO THE DEALERSHIP AND TELL THEM HEY REMEMBER YOU TOLD ME MY ENGINE WAS GONE/FROZEN.. I THINK NOT YOU LOSERS... I HAVE REPORTED THEM TO THE BBB IN TEXAS

GOOD LUCK, I WILL BE HAPPY TO BE PART OF A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT AGAINST MAZDA ANYTIME.

HAVE A GREAT DAY. CHRISTINA ;)
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    Yes I use the premium. I am afraid that regular will damage the engine. I have noticed it pulling to the right and a pretty good shaking above 70 mph. If the Sonata deal falls through, I'll try alignment and having the brake rotors turned. I was told they may be warped.
  • mark1inclevemark1incleve Member Posts: 1
    I have replaced an engine and turbo in my 2007cx-7 due to what the dealer claims was abuse. There was no abuse. I change out the oil and filters on a regular basis and ran a p/m as well. The dealer (Mike Bass Mazda in Avon, OH) replaced the engine and turbo for $8,500.00. If an suit becomes a reality please contact me because I would like to be included.
  • barb34barb34 Member Posts: 5
    Count me in on the class action lawsuit! This has been the worst experience I have ever had with a vehicle. It is an endless money pit!!!!
    So long fellow posters and Mazda. The Sonata deal fell through, but I found a really nice Buick Lucerne. I can honestly say I will not miss the CX7 even though I took a really big hit financially.
  • wiryanwiryan Member Posts: 1
    If anyone has the info i would like to be part of this law suit.. I am a Mechanic by trade and I was told that I had to Show proof of oil changes as well. And after reading this I have to take my CX7 in because the Turbo has taken a crap, and to have the valve train problem fixed.. Why didnt they sent out that info???
  • racerbobracerbob Member Posts: 1
    I too have had 1st the VVT actuator failure at 40,00mi and then the turbo failed at 70,000 mi... its an early '07.
    I bought it new and paid for an extended warraty from Western General. Both Mazda and WestGen have screwed me around on the "maintenance records" bit and I have paid a total of about $6000 to fix the car in the last 2 years.
    I would love to be part of any class action.... I will never get my monies worth out of the car.
    That being said, when it runs, IT RUNS great... and I get 28 mph on the highway...
    :mad:
  • gentemiogentemio Member Posts: 13
    I guess my question is now....where is the person who first suggested the class action suit???? I think there is enought out there to justify such a suit. Hopefully, everyone has their records. Did everyone file a complaint with the National Highway Safety people so it is on record and they are recording it??
  • dj119dj119 Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

I did not. How do you contact the National Highway Safety?
    I just paid $6800. to get mine fixed. I am sick over this mess!

Thanks, DJ
  • ti_block1ti_block1 Member Posts: 2
    well thank u very much desertgirl1 i was crazy!!!!! about this car and i was just about to buy one wich the engine is thiking loudly like a diesel and i said to my self to make some researh come to find out they are not good car the engine does have problem thanks!
  • des5des5 Member Posts: 88
    Am I correct in observing that all the issues presented here are centered around 2007 model engines? Just trying to assess the risk to my MY 2008. Its only being driven ~8K mi/yr, and the dealers still insist on oil changes every 7500mi, no sooner.
    ;) THE PROBLEMS ARE WITH THE "VERY FIRST CX-7 2007 MODELS (WHICH I HAVE) AND YES CHANGING THE OIL AT 7500 IS WHAT THEY RECOMMEND AS LONG AS YOU ARE USING SYNTHETIC OIL @ 7,500 MILES ANY OTHER OTHER IS AT THE REGULAR 3500. MAKE SURE YOU ARE ONLY USING SYNTHETIC OIL THIS IS WHAT IS RECOMMENDED FYI.

I USE ONLY MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC OIL THE VERY BEST OIL. USE TO BE 5000 MILES BUT THE MAZDA DEALERSHIP MOVED IT UP TO 7500. (I DO MY AT 7000 MILES THIS IS WHAT ONE OF THE MECHANICS AT MAZDA DEALERSHIP SAID DONT WAIT UNTIL 7500 DO IT AT 7000. I JUST HAD MINE FIXED THE TIMING CHAIN BROKE WHICH BENT THE VALUES 4 OF THEM CRACK THE HEAD GASKET AND ONE OF THE FUEL INJECTOR WENT OUT WENT TO A VERY GOOD MECHANIC THAT KNEW HOW TO FIX THE MAZDA AND ALSO HAD A SPECIAL MACHINE TO FIX IT. TOTAL COST $3,102.00 --

HAD IT TOWED TO ONE PLACE TOLD ME THE PROBLEM TIMING CHAIN BROKE AROUND 800.00 SO I SAID WELL LET ME JUST TOW IT TO THE DEALERSHIP (NOW THIS IS 2ND TOWING IN 1HOUR) LEFT IT AT THE DEALERSHIP HAD THE TOW GUY GIVE ME A LIFT CLOSE BY, MAZDA REP CALLED AND SAID THE ENGINE IS GONE I SAID WHAT THEY SAID YES, THE FIRST MECHANIC TOLD ME THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR ENGINE IT TURNS. CALLED THE TOWING GUY BACK UP TO PICK IT UP AND TAKE IT BACK TO THE FIRST GUY, FIND OUT THAT THE FIRST GUY AFTER READING THE ISSUES DIDN'T HAVE THE RIGHT MACHINE BUT RECOMMENDED ME TO ANOTHER GOOD PLACE HE RECOMMENDS (THE BEST) THE WENT THROUGH THIS AND THE TIMING CHAIN HAD DID ALL THE DAMAGE ABOVE, HE SAID HE NEVER HEARD OF THIS.

I HAVE POSTED TH SERVICE BULLENTIN IN 2008 RE:TIMING CHAIN PROBLEM, WHICH THEY DID NOT SEND TO ME, ANY ONE WITH MODELS # SO ON AND SO ON, WHICH WAS MINE SEEMS LIKE THE VERY FIRST ONES THAT CAME OUT WAS A TIMING CHAIN ISSUE BUT CREATED MORE PROBLEMS ONLY COVER UNDER THE 35,000. WARRANTY BUT THEY NEVER TOLD ANYONE UNTIL IT BROKE OR WAS OVER THE WARRANTY AND YOU CAN READ SOME OTHER PEOPLE SAYING THEY HAVE DONE ALL THERE OIL CHANGES BUT MAZDA IS STILL TRYING TO SCREW ALL OF US, I AM ONE OF THE ONES WHO ARE WAITING TO BE IN THE LAW SUIT AGAINST MAZDA FOR THESE PROBLEMS THEY NEVER CORRECTED. YOU SHOULD MAKE SURE YOU DO ALL YOUR OIL CHANGES AND SOME PLACE AND KEEP ALL YOUR RECORDS BECAUSE MAZDA IS USING THIS FOR THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE IT THEMSELVES. IF YOU DO IT YOURSELF WHEN YOU BUY THE FILTER AND OIL MAKE SURE THEY PUT THE VIN # ON THE INVOICE FOR YOUR RECORDS THIS WILL SAVE YOU A**.

GOOD LUCK :) CHRISTINA
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Driving a 1st generation 2007 CX-7 (55,000 miles) and yes, just had the timing chain, VVT actuator (keeps timing chain tight) water pump, and driveline gaskets replaced. Mazda power train warranty covered everything except a rental car for one day. Upon a cold start, was hearing a little "chain rattle" and was fortunate to bring the cx-7 in for repair before catastrophic engine damage took place. I now believe al the 07's need this repair once they reach the 40~50 thousand mile mark. Hopefully, these new parts should last to 150,000 miles?

As far as oil changes, the Mazda dealer now recommends 5000 mile intervals where they rotate the tires and perform a few minor checks for $59.99 plus shop supplies, environmental fees, and tax.Comes to about $72.00 total unless you use an internet dealer coupon from time to time. The dealer does not recommend synthetic oil, they use a half syn blend which they claim works just as well.

After the new water pump, timing chain, VVT actuator, front end alignment and new tires, (set for 37 psi) now achieving about 21 mpg in city driving using premium 91 fuel. The Mazda Dealer says the 07's cannot use regular on a steady basis--the turbo is designed for high octane fuel to achieve maximum performance and mileage.
    Christina:
    You never mentioned how many miles are on your 2007 cx-7. The MAzda power train warranty clearly covers the timing chain, VVT actuator, water pump and most all internal engine parts to 60,000 miles or 5 years from your in service date. How come the dealer didn't cover this under warranty?
    Would check alignment // keep tires at 37 psi // replace air filter. Driving an 07 cx-7 w/ 55,000 miles. Getting an extra 2 miles per gallon after alignment. :Last fill-21.3 in town-regular driving. Best ever so far on the road was 24.5. (THis was when the front end was out of alignment)--and haven't done any serious road tripping since.
    I would get rid of the CX 7 as fast I could. I just spent $6800. for a used engine for my 07. I also just traded it in for a Toyota Rav4. At least they own up to their problems.
    Mazda's owners are crooks and hopefully they will pay for this mess soon.

DJ in Ohio
    Why didn't the standard (3 yr. 36,000 mile) or pwertrain (5 yr.-60,000 mile) warranty cover the cx-7 engine issues?
    Same story we all got. Engine had sledge in it. Even with oil change receipts it did no good. It is a horrible company to buy a car from.
    That really seems amazing. My dealer gave no hassle at all. Didn't ask for any oil change documentation. No babble about sludge. Just brought the car in and upon examination without my asking, replaced the VVT actuator, timing chain, water pump and some rear driveline gasket seals. Only out of pocket charge to me was for a rental car which apparently is not part of the "powertrain warranty".

The selling dealer can make all the difference in the world. A potential customer should really ask the service department for some referrals before deciding to purchase a vehicle at that particular dealership regardless of the selling price. I don't mind paying "retail" as long as excellent service is received.

Apparently, even if I paid a couple thousand more for my Cx-7 than you did-- just made up for it by having critical repairs covered under warranty. (which in theory--should have been covered for all of us-no matter what the ending price of the cx-7 happened to end up at.)
  • ti_block1ti_block1 Member Posts: 2
    yeah only if they had some kind of coverage in case the engine goes bad around 30000 miles it wouldn't be so bad i don't care about any excuses a car engine should last longer then 30000 or 35000 mile they junk period.
  • thegr8pumpkinthegr8pumpkin Member Posts: 1
    I lease my 07 CX7 it only has 32,000 and i started having problems with loss of power every once and a while. I thought I was just getting bad gas (I always use 91) but then after a while we could smell a weird smell coming from the tailpipe so I had my wife take it to the dealer. It's been there for a week now, they even had the district big wig look at it and their conclusion was it came in very low on oil and we have sludge so It must be from from neglect (I just had the oil changed and that smell was it going through the oil some how). Now they say I need a new engine and turbo and it will cost $7000 give or take. I hate Mazda!!!! How does one go about starting a class action lawsuit? I would rather give my money to a lawyer then fix that POS.
  • bmjdljbmjdlj Member Posts: 3
    I have had the engine ticking and snap on starting up since I purchased my car. The dealership said "all the cars sound like that" and the snap is "the plastic parts adjusting to the temperature". I took my car in again to a different dealership and they tell me it is the VVT thing. After some research and reading this forum...I am scared to death of problems with my new car. Dealership says they can fix me up. But I am concerned that they actually will...or just do enough to get them by.
    I 'm not sure about the '09's, but I now believe that virtually all the 07's (what I drive) need the VVT acuator // timing chain // water pump replacement by 45,000 miles or so. Just had these things replaced at 45,000 miles under the 5year/ 60,000 mile "powertrain warranty." Only expense to me was a rental car for 1 day.

Was noticing a slight "rattle" when starting the cx-7 and the dealer explained that the VVT which keeps tension on the chain, was failing. The dealer believes it was a defective part from the factory. If you are hearing the "rattle"-- you need these things replaced ASAP before critical damage is done to the engine!
    Mine has been rattling since I bought it brand new. Also I could hear a loud snap all on starting the engine. I have been driving the car for a year and 2 months and decided I wanted to have it checked again since the first place brushed me off with it.
    It is now in the repair shop and I hope they fix it with new different parts...and fix it completely. It's a worry...one can't depend on any car brand being good and reliable.
    Thanks for your response.
    I would make sure the water pump // timing chain // and the VVT acuator are all replaced as long as they are going that far with engine repairs. Should all be covered under warranty for you.
    I'm calling them now. Thanks for your help.
  • gpezza20gpezza20 Member Posts: 1
    So it happened to me. 2007 CX-7 with regular service and the Mazda service mechanic again says "sludge, engine is destroyed." They're in the process of taking pictures, but I know what the end result is going to be from being in this room. I spoke with a very reputable mechanic in my area who said none of this adds up. He said that an engine that old should not die at this point, period. Further, my car is at 41,000 miles which is in the ballpark of all of you. This CANNOT BE A COINCIDENCE. I honestly think we are some of the first to experience these issue because we may have gotten to 36-40 k a little faster than others, and that this problem is not going to go away for Mazda. PLEASE DO NOT THROUGH YOUR HANDS UP AND ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN. Consider joining a class action. Please email me directly so we can begin compiling our info. Also consider getting the word out on facebook, twitter, etc. I'm not going away.
    I feel you. I just spent 6800. to get my 07 fixed. I immediately sold it and bought a Toyota. At least they a meant they have problems! I am willing to join any class action lawsuit. I just don't know how to get started.

Diane
  • tpleskonkotpleskonko Member Posts: 2
    Yes, my cx-7 has 44,000 miles on it. Last oil change 6,000 miles ago. Slightly over, but should not have ruined my engine. Over 3,500.00 to fix it. Mazda will not pay a dime. My brother-in -law is handling my case. We're looking for other people this has happened to!!
  • mccpatrimccpatri Member Posts: 3
    I would be more than happy to get in on any case, I have all of info, timelines, etc but don't have the means to do anything with it. . . please let me know if you can help
    Driving a Cx-7 with 58000 miles. Heard a little "rattle" upon start up and brought in to selling Mazda dealer. Replaced water pump, timing chain, VVT actuator, some rear seals in the drivetrain. All covered under "powertrain warranty" with the only charge to me being a one day rental car. Dealer never said anything about taking pictures, oil sludge,etc.. Must be a huge difference in policy from one Mazda service dept. to the next. I wouldn't as a rule go 6,000 miles between oil changes, but that shouldn't cause "sludge" in the system. The Mazda service interval from the factory says 7500 miles between changes under 'normal" conditions.
  • nhanusnhanus Member Posts: 1
    I have a CX-7, purchased in April 2007. It was great for the first year or so, but I put a lot of miles on it and so I have seen and experienced nearly every single thing mentioned in this forum. But wait. There's more to come, if I'm the precursor for what you can all expect. I have 104,000 miles on my vehicle after three years -- I drive a lot. Today, large whining sound when accelerating. I'm being told it's probably the turbo. All of the maintenance questions raised in previous trips to the dealership have been raised again. "These turbos really need to have oil changes every 3,000 miles or so" is what I'm told. Of course, that's much more rigorous than what is recommended. I fortunately had a 100,000 warranty that covered all the other issues -- two valve and major repairs to the engine, the air compressor dying -- but now I'm over the warranty, and am sitting in the waiting room of the Mazda dealership waiting for the shoe to drop.

It seems unfair for Mazda to continue to not take responsibility for this vehicle being a lemon. The issues I'm having now are ones I expect many of you will have in the future. I'm just "lucky" enough to have put on more miles than most others who have this vehicle. I do know I'll be hauling out these forum posts and as much else as I can in arguing that Mazda should cover these costs.From what you have said here, I don't expect I'll get very far, but I will give it a try.
    Hello, I have a CX7 2007 purchase used with 12,000 miles back in Aug 2008, we also do alot of driving and now have about 121,000 miles on this vehicle. We had issues with the timing chain breaking which cause alot of damage, crack the head, bent 2 valves also had 1 fuel injector replaces and of coarse only can buy the parts at the dealership. Dealership told me my engine was frozen gone/ whatever, took it to my Guy and fixed it without any warranty of coarse $3,055.00 CASH. Who has recommend the 3,000 oil changes and not the 7,000 We only use Mobil 1 Synthetic oil. recommends now 7,500 change now 7,000 (was previously 5,000). Let me know about the oil change recommendations. Thanks here in Texas :)
  • jschule11jschule11 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone! Just wanted to add my turbo problems to the forum. I purchased a used 2008 CX-7 from a Nissan dealership in March. There has been smoke coming from the exhaust ever since and nothing but the run-around from Mazda and Nissan in regards to fixing it. I am in contact with an attorney, but if there is a class action lawsuit, please let me know. My car is currently at the Mazda dealer and they are taking the cam cover off to take pictures to send to Mazda. If Mazda says that there is evidence of abuse or failure to maintain, they will not cover it. I obviously do not have any maintenance records, as I JUST bought the car. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • tpleskonkotpleskonko Member Posts: 2
    I got my final bill on Friday. 3,000.00. My attorney is moving forward.
    When buying used, make sure the warranty is first transferable to a 2nd buyer and then get it in writing. Always transact any business with a dealer IN WRITING. You didn't mention the mileage on the vehicle, but Mazda should cover the engine/power train for 5 years or 60,000 miles. The Nissan dealer probably doesn't have the knowhow to work on that car under warranty--Mazda would be your best bet. Suggest having all documentation in order before proceeding with attempted warranty repair.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    There are KNOWN problems with DFI turbocharged engines.

Most modern day engines, including the CX-7, use EGR, Exhaust Gas Recirculation to reduce pumping losses. With no EFI/SFI to continuously "wash" the EGR "residue" from the intake valves, intake valve runners, the valves and runners quickly become coated with this exhaust residue.

That's probably why Lexus makes use of SFI along with DFI. SFI for/during simple cruising, and DFI for POWER/WOT mode.

TurboCharger engines MUST run in derated/detuned mode ~98% of the time, "off-boost" time. Absent TurboCharging the Mazda DISI (DFI) engine could have a CR more in the range of 12:1. Instead the engine only has a CR of ~10:1 resulting in a less complete burn of the A/F mixture that 98% of the time you're just simply cruising along at a relative constant speed.

"less complete burn"....And at part throttle, simple cruising, EGR brings, continuously brings, hour after hour, the high carbon content residue right back into the intake manifold.

Had I purchased a CX-7, as I almost did, I would now either find a way to mill the engine head to get a base/static 12:1 CR, and tying(***) the turbo wastegate fully OPEN, or block the EGR path.

*** "tying..wastegate.."...Or find a way to limit the boost level, prevent an overboost condition with the CR now at 12:1.
  • boogitybopboogitybop Member Posts: 21
    Our Mazda cx7's engine just failed due to timing chain failure. Mazda refuses to help in any way. I've contacted a law firm to see about a class action lawsuit against these criminals. If there is already a lawsuit going on I would like to be notified. If not I would like everyone who is interested in this to send me their email so I can forward it to the the attorneys. Boogitybop@aol.com

Thank you
  • tank406tank406 Member Posts: 2
    I have found 100s of blogs from 2007 CX-7 Owners just like me. My Story:

Purchased a used 2007 CX-7 with 31,000 miles (still under warranty, allegedly). Drove it for four months to the day, 34,000 miles on it now. White smoke, knocking engine. Mazda requests past oil changes which I have one. Mazda presents me with a $4,100 estimate to fix replace the turbo, engine repair and timing chain. Notice that in January of 2008, Mazda North American Operations put out a Service Bulletin No. 01-002/08 describing this exact problem. However the bulletin clearly states "Only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair." GREAT! it can be fixed, Mazda says so! Oh, what? Not so fast. Mazda tech says there is a sludging problem therefore VOIDING the warranty. But the service bulletin says it can be fixed due to my complaint. After further research I discover that the turbo system in this car has an engineering problem causing WAY! to much heat for normal use, therefore burning oil, therefore causing sludge. Mazda uses this "evidence of sludge" caused by them! to claim that the owner did not maintain their vehicle, therefore "your warranty has been voided." Mazda is trying to avoid a Recall on this for obvious costly reasons. I have contacted an attorney and he is currently working on my case. Until then I have a 3,000 pound paper weight with a $15,000 note. Thanks Mazda.
  • tank406tank406 Member Posts: 2
    Ive had the same issue, presented this Service Bulletin to Mazda and they don't care. The corporate customer service rep actually said, "Too Bad." Thanks, Paul. you [non-permissible content removed]!

here is my story:

I have found 100s of blogs from 2007 CX-7 Owners just like me. My Story:

Purchased a used 2007 CX-7 with 31,000 miles (still under warranty, allegedly). Drove it for four months to the day, 34,000 miles on it now. White smoke, knocking engine. Mazda requests past oil changes which I have one. Mazda presents me with a $4,100 estimate to fix replace the turbo, engine repair and timing chain. Notice that in January of 2008, Mazda North American Operations put out a Service Bulletin No. 01-002/08 describing this exact problem. However the bulletin clearly states "Only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair." GREAT! it can be fixed, Mazda says so! Oh, what? Not so fast. Mazda tech says there is a sludging problem therefore VOIDING the warranty. But the service bulletin says it can be fixed due to my complaint. After further research I discover that the turbo system in this car has an engineering problem causing WAY! to much heat for normal use, therefore burning oil, therefore causing sludge. Mazda uses this "evidence of sludge" caused by them! to claim that the owner did not maintain their vehicle, therefore "your warranty has been voided." Mazda is trying to avoid a Recall on this for obvious costly reasons. I have contacted an attorney and he is currently working on my case. Until then I have a 3,000 pound paper weight with a $15,000 note. Thanks Mazda.
    CHRISTINAJENKINS2005@YAHOO.COM

PLEASE SUBMIT MY EMAIL ADDRESS TO WHOEVER STARTS THE LEGAL BATTLE OF A LAWSUIT AGAINST JAPAN/MAZDA. LEMON CRAP A... CAR SORRY DIDN'T SOUND NICE BUT WITH THIS LARGE CAR NOTE AND ALL THE REPAIRS I HAVE HAD TO PAY UNTIL TODAY 6/9/2010 $5,235.00 CASH NO WARRANT CRAPPY 35,000 WARRANTY BUT EVEN WITH THAT THEY ARE NOT GOING TO COVER SAYING ALL OF US ARE NOT TAKING CAR OF THE LEMON CAR THAT PUT ON TO FAST AND ON OUR US LAND... :lemon: :P
    send me your email address and any others you can find for people in his situation. I've already had enough of a response.
    boogitybop@aol.com
    Driving a 2007 Cx-7 with 60,000 miles. Noticed a slight , but not loud "rattling noise" upon cold start up and brought car in to the franchised Mazda dealer service department. Dealer replaced water pump, timing chain, VVT actuator, and rear seals in the drivetrain. Only cost to me was a rental car for one day. Covered under 5 year /60,000 mile drivetrain warranty. No hassle about "sludge" or any other issue with previous maintenance such as oil change receipts. Dealer does highly recommend saving every piece of maintenance records for possible future warranty backup reasons. A huge difference in service department methods of operation!
    I just spent $6800. to have my 07 Mazda fixed. I then dumped it at a Toyota dealer for a new Rav 4. Unless Toyota is man enough to fess up to their issues. Can't say the say at all for mazda. What a bunch of loser! I will clap the day they are finally caught over ripping all of us off! Add me to the suit. I have the old part in my garage waiting for a lawsuit!

Diane in Columbus Ohio
    Ricart sucks.
    golfertom@sbcglobal.net
    Guys, it sounds like all the problems start around the 35,000 mile mark. After reading all of this I also dumped mine on a Buick dealer. Now have a Lucerne. It scared me when after just a little spirited driving, it smelled like it was about to burn up. Sorry for the poor sap that buys it.
  • basunndaybasunnday Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    My 2007 CX7 has 59,300 miles on it. It is in the shop getting a new ac compressor, and check up before the powertrain warranty is out. About 4,000 miles ago I brought it in for engine noise and they replaced the VVT Valve. They did not replace the timing chain or water pump like many are saying. They did cover the VVT valve under warranty. Will replacing only the valve prevent the timing chain from breaking, or should I replace it now? Any thoughts appreciated.

I still don't think the engine sounds right, the check engine light was on and off. But all they could come up with is a throttle sensor is bad, and the ac compressor was ready to go out, none covered under warranty with a $1,000 estimate. Sorry for all who experience major engine damage. This is all totally wrong and Mazda needs to come clean on all these issues, good luck with the lawsuits.
    well at this point my mechanic and I have torn this engine down. He's baffled at the way they've designed the thing. He is basically saying this is a disposable engine. it hasn't been built to be torn down. there are elements missing in the design. We are photographing and documenting everything we're doing.

If you are hearing any ticking noise at all you better take it back because this is one of two chains in the engine. the actual timing chain did not break in mine. the secondary chain broke. I don't know what this chain does but it came off the cogs and bent the timing chain. there are also bulletins from Mazda recommending to change parts of this engine. much like a recall but without the liability. I am very disappointed in this company. I always thought they were a good company but it turns out they are just like all the others.

I'm a little like a pitt bull when it comes to things like this and I plan to do something about this.

Good luck
  • missieselfmissieself Member Posts: 2
    i have had problems with my mazda would be happy to help with lawsuit any way i can turbo went out at 39000 miles and mazda gave me the same sludge in engine routine and won't fix my car
  • 64221306422130 Member Posts: 47
    I bought a 2008 used last winter with 12K miles. I called Mazda to get service history and they had history of an oil change at 7K. I immediately had the oil changed at 12K and have changed every 3k since. My questions are whether the 2008's have actual improvements to the engine and whether people with denied claims have similar oil change history available when their warranty is being denied.
    I think all of us have oil change records. Mazda doesn't care. It still uses the same sludge excuse because they know they have a huge design issue. The need to be held accountable just like Toyota was.