Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Armada Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bigarmada4bigarmada4 Member Posts: 3
    Have you tried using 409 cleaner. It worked on my gray cloth seats.
  • bigarmada4bigarmada4 Member Posts: 3
    Is anyone having problems with the suspension on the Armada. I have a 2004 Armada and the rear suspension is terrible. It rides like a dump truck in the rear and i feel every bump that i hit whether it's small or big. I took it to the dealer and they told me that it's a large truck so that's the way it's supposed to ride. I have driven other SUV's and never had a ride like that. Is anyone else having this problem?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It's due to the weight of the Armada. Any heavy vehicle will roll back when in gear since the weight is greater than the holding force at idle of the transmission.

-mike
    Check your tire pressures. If the TP is too high you'll have it riding like a dump truck. Also if it's loaded up with a lot of stuff or a trailer I generally get a hard ride, as expected.

-mike
  • ddssjskddssjsk Member Posts: 26
    You have to realise the vehicle is going to roll back on any incline reguardless of angle unless enough throttle pressure is applied by the driver to overcome the force of gravity. I don't know of any vehicle that will not. :D:)
  • ddssjskddssjsk Member Posts: 26
    What produces a smooth ride is a coil spring that is long in length or has a large overall diamater. It needs the length and size to provide sufficient travel for a smooth ride. The Armada seems to be a little short in that area. The springs seem to be small for the vehicle size and probibaly quite stiff to support the vehicle payload. Resulting in a firm choppy ride. Smoothness in ride is sacrificed for handling and payload capacity. This would also help prevent vehicle rollover and aid in stability control. It's a trade off.
  • rafarafa Member Posts: 35
    HI everyone just wanted to ask if someone can help me we have 2005 nissan armada se. Today while going to work I got a big nail in the front tire so I went to get it fix they took out the valve stem and the air so they can patch it up. Wanted to know where are the air sensors for the tires and if when you take out the valve stem do they have to put the same one back if anyone can help thanks
  • kenleslie76kenleslie76 Member Posts: 22
    Hello Just brought 07 Armada. I notice something wrong with the R gear. Everything when I shift it to reverse I started to hear a clunk noise when I shift to R. The D gear seem fine and smooth. But the R is worst. I have other car that doesn't have a rough shift like the Armada. Look like the trans is getting bad with just over 300 miles!!!!!!! Any advise???? :mad:
    In reference to Post #441. I forgot to say if you park your Armada up in the driveway or on the hill. I mean when you shift it to Reverse Gear it'll pop a clunk noise like it gonna breakdown. I just don't feel comfortable with it. Is that normal on the Armada? please help? :cry:
    When parking on a hill do you use the parking brake? The proper method of parking on a hill would be to put the car in Neutral, apply the parking brake, make sure it's set, then put it into park. This is a heavy truck, when parking on a hill it will jam the gears if not parked properly.

As for the clicking, it could be a problem with the CV joints. I believe there was a TSB on them in 2004, perhaps it is the same issue.

-mike
    Mike-Thanks for the feedback but what I mean is that when the car was already parked in the driveway. By the way my driveway is pretty high compare to a normal driveway. When I want to reverse out so I need to shift the gear to R-(mine is Auto Trans). When I shift it to R-that's when I start to hear a clunk and rough noise. I even tried to apply the brake hard and the parking brake on too! Still give me that clunk noise. I have a Ford Explorer that doesn't give me a clunk noise like the Armada. I think it's a trans problem.Please advise?
    Do you apply the parking brake when you turn the car off? Basically if you pull up your driveway put the car in park and then apply the parking brake, you essentially have put pressure on the parking pin, so when you put it into R afterward when you go to leave you are hearing a clunk from when you release the pressure on the parking pin.

Best way would be to:
    1) Put the car in N when parking, and apply the parking brake.
    2) After you are sure the car is solidly stationary in N with the parking brake applied, put it in Park.
    3) when leaving, put your foot on the brake, release the parking brake, and put in R

This should eliminate that clunk.

-mike
    Thanks Mike- I'll try that tommorrow morning. In a meantime when you hear that clunk noise. Will it damage your trans if you do it alots of time? So what you saod above will eliminate that clunk noise and should it shift smooth too? I know it won't shift as smooth as a flat gound level! As least it help eliminate that horrible clunk noise. I'll try that 1st thing in the morning. :surprise: :surprise:
  • haropharop Member Posts: 59
    First thing won't work, assuming you did not already parked as described by Mike :)

Seriously, when I got mine, I noticed the same problem, but I had similar problem whith all my cars, except this one was a little lauder. Since then I started doing:
    "Neutral - Parking Brake - Release Brake Pedal - Park" combinations and it is OK. Still some time I just don't mind much and would park then apply PB. I don't think it will damage the trans in a short time.

-haro
    Shouldn't damage it but if the parking pin snaps it's not fun. I noticed it on my truck when parking on snow mounds this weekend if I didn't apply the parking brake.

-mike
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    I know where you guys are coming from but if you ask any good mechanic, they will tell you to not even use the parking brake if at all possible. The brake could eventually stick and ware out prematurely or even warp the rear drum/disk rotor. I'd say ask your dealer/mechanic if you have one you can trust. Also my 05 LE makes that noise. I've gotten used to it.
    Maybe in the 1960s the parking brakes stuck! I only use it when on a hill but it has never stuck on any of my automatics in the past say 20 years worth of cars.

Not to mention that these have disc-in drum parking brakes so the only thing that would wear out is the parking brake pad, not the actual brake pads as they aren't used when using the parking brake.

-mike
  • kcole3566kcole3566 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced a clicking sound coming from the front wheels? This seems to occur predominantly during turns at slow speeds. The service technician said it was too new a car to properly diagnose and that it needed to be further broken in (i.e. >1500 miles). I'm past 1500 miles now and still hear it. He thought it was some type of plastic cover inside the wheel that needed to seat properly and with more time (heat and pressure) it would do this. (2007 Armada LE)

The sound is similar to the clicking you would hear if you taped a playing card partially between the spokes of your old bicycle back in the old days!

Thanks! :confuse:
    Sounds like either some kind of shipping material that wasn't removed properly or the front CV/Axle causing the issue.

-mike
  • valntnvalntn Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2007 Armada LE. I can't figure out how to make the door locks lock automatically. On the navigation system, I was able to put in to lock in 1 minute, but it didn't work. Can anyone help me?
    Just bought brand new 2007 SE Armada. After driven more than 1K on it. I notice my brake is not responding well whenever I apply to it. I was told after about 1-2K miles. I should be able to feel my brake is firm and should brake well. However not on my case. I feel it's not brake is not good at all. Is this normal? I have a friend who bought a new Seqouia and told me after 2K. You should be able to feel the different when it was new. Please advise. Anyone have the same problem? :cry:
    The pedal feel or the braking itself? What did you drive before this?

-mike
  • valntnvalntn Member Posts: 2
    Found out that Nissan does not offer automatic door locks when the vehicle is put in gear or reaches a certain speed. Still don't know what is wrong with the auto lock when the car is unlocked & the door is not opened. Taking it in to service soon.
    Mike-I mean the braking itself. I drove a Acura TL 3.2 2000. There brake are excellent but I'm not sure it's there a different between a SUV and a regular 4-Dr car? Some people say it's normal until after a couples thousand miles on it then you'll feel the braking itself.
  • delanpdelanp Member Posts: 9
    I've got a 2006 Armada with ~ 10k miles on it. Brakes have been good/excellent all the time with the exception of a 'squeal' that appeared at ~ 6k. Had the rotors skimmed and it's gone. Brakes can be just a little soft until they bed in, but nothing that should make you question their functionality and wonder if they're OK.

We use the brakes 'a lot' here in Qatar (-:

Regards,

Pete
    Mike-I mean the braking itself. I drove a Acura TL 3.2 2000. There brake are excellent but I'm not sure it's there a different between a SUV and a regular 4-Dr car? Some people say it's normal until after a couples thousand miles on it then you'll feel the braking itself.

The brakes will definitely NOT feel like those in an Acura TL. The Armada probably weighs about 1.5-2x the weight of an Acura and is setup to be towing loads of up to about 2,000lbs w/o trailer brakes. My pedal feel is not the same as my Subarus. Also we have EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution) which you probably didn't have on the Acura, so it may "feel" like you are getting less braking but it's actually spread more evenly across all 4 brakes.

The Armada will also handle differently than your Acura as well as accelerate differently. :)

-mike
  • zeek7zeek7 Member Posts: 1
    HELLO.IT APPEARS THAT NISSAN HAS AN ACHILLES HEEL WHEN IT COMES TO BRAKES, AT LEAST WITH THE LAST FEW MODEL YEARS AND NOW EVEN WITH THE 07.I HAVE AN 07 ARMADA SE WITH 500 MILES. THE STERRING WHEEL PULSATES WHENEVER THE BRAKES ARE APPLIED NO MATTER WHAT SPEED IT STOPS FROM. THIS ARMADA IS ONE OF THE BEST ASSEMBLED VEHICLES WE HAVE EVER OWNED AND ASIDE FROM THE BRAKE ISSUE, WE LOVE IT!ANYBODY ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH THIER 07,IF SO PLEASE REPLY WITH HOW YOU SOLVED OR WHAT CAUSES THIS PROBLEM. ALL TIRES HAVE 35 LBS.PRESSURE. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP OR ADVICE. ZEEK7
  • fpearfpear Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Armada, I purchased it in March of 2005. At 2500 miles I had a complete break job done. 2 months later, there was a problem with the rotors. They fixed something and it lasted until Jan 2007. Then it was repaired again. On April 17, 2007, they tried to repair the brakes again. It must be the 2004 model.
    How many miles did you put on from when they did the first brake job to the one in April 2007?

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Actually Mike, if you check your owners manual, you will see that the Armada is rated to tow only 1000 pounds w/o trailer brakes. Only fullsize GM pickup, SUVs are rated at 2000 pounds. With the exception of Land Rover (1650), Trailblazer (1500), and perhaps(?) a few other European brands, virtually all other SUVs and pickups vehicles are rated at 1000 pounds, like the Armada.

Bob
    My bad, my point was that if you are towing any significant weight, it will have it's own brakes.

-mike
  • pamela3256pamela3256 Member Posts: 3
    You know I will have the service dept. in the dealer know this. I just got a brand new 07 armada two weeks ago and they've reprogrammed the sensor once, and right after I drove away the light came on again, they replaced the sensor, week later the light came on again and it was the sensor of the other tire, they replaced it and now the light came on AGAIN!!! total waiting time, 7 hours, they finally gave me a loan vehicle. I'm seriously thinking about getting a "lemon lawyer". The reason you guy a new car is not to have to worry about this @ for a while. :mad:
  • rshershe Member Posts: 236
    Does anyone know if you can purchase a new key fob case. All I want is the case as mine still functions fine, but has broken where it attached to your key chain.
    I had to make a quick stop in some soft sand the other day and got dug in to ~ 8" on all wheels. Before I started to dig (with a shovel) I thought I'd try L4. The wheels didn't even turn...I thought in L4 with almost 6 liters that the wheels would at least turn and if nothing else bury me further. Should the wheels have turned or is there some magic in the truck that says not to ..?

Regards,

Pete ('06 Armada)
    You should have been spinning all 4 of em and like you said digging deeper.

On my 04 over the weekend, I was backing my boat into the water in a really bad ramp and got hung up on the crossmembers on the 35' trailer due to the steep dropoff on the ramp. I tried to pull the trailer out with the boat on it and had it in 4-low. I was spinning and smoking all 4 trying to get it out, wound up having to take the boat off and take it out at a different ramp. However, like you said with 4-low it was spinning all 4 (even with my AT Revos).

Curious were the RPMs rising or was it simply cutting the fuel to the engine?

-mike
    Yeah, nissan is junk, I have got 66 repears or may be 33...
    :)
    just kidding before the nissan-forums basher
    "pop-up window" jumps in...

Pete,
    Obviously something is wrong with your 4x4, and the first thing you should check if a recall related to Armada/Titan 4x4 is applicable to your truck. You can go to nissanhelp.com and check your VIN against the VIN numbers affected.

I remember also reading in the manual about sometimes you may get a delay for engaging/desengaging 4x4 and it was stating this was normal. You can certanly check if it is normal now, and just engaging 4L driving strait and then desengaging before any turning.

Last weekend my 06 Aramada performed perefctly for me on some sands. In fact I had do go to 2x4 mode to get the wheels spinning for some fun. Moreover, I had to turn off the VDC as well. This gives me another idea. On 4L, VDC must get automatically turned off. I assume if it does not turn off then you may get similar problem you had.

Hope this helps, and please let us know how it goes.
    -haro
    Morning... thanks for the note.

The VDC was turned off...always do that in sand. I checked the recalls and nothing about 4X4..did i miss it? I've suspected that something was wrong for some time...even going up a moderate dune is troublesome...never has the power..even on a flat beach I get nervous, and that's after 6 years of sand driving.

If I missed the recalll you mentioned could you point me to it please?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Pete
    Morning..

Yep, I found this one already ...the drive shafts haven't fallen off yet... :)

Pete
    Yours should handle sand as good as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zGWIJHvp2Q&NR=1

And I hope the guy here knows the problem is related to recall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDX_VQA22jo&mode=related&search=

-haro
  • rshershe Member Posts: 236
    I think I am going to be parting company with my Armada.. I haven't had any recent problems until this week. The rear hatch motor failed and had that replaced on Monday. Today I am driving around (luckily at low speed) and the brakes fail. I go to step on the brakes and it felt like the anti-locks were kicking in and the brake light comes on. It rolled out into the intersection before it finally stopped. I limped it along to the dealership (with my left foot ready on the emergency brake), about a mile and everytime I would go to hit the brakes the front end would judder as if the anti-locks were kicking in. Funny enough I shut it off at the dealership and when we go to restart the problem is gone. The service tech runs a scanner on it and an ABS code comes up to reprogram the ABS. I can't imagine what would have happened with a high speed stop. My wife will no longer drive it and doesn't want the kids in it either, so it is pretty much useless to me. Trying to decide what to get next.
  • jwelch101jwelch101 Member Posts: 1
    This sounds exactly like the problem I have on my 05 Armada, with 30,000+ miles on it, and the clicking just started about 1000 miles ago. I think the shipping material or plastic plug explanations are not very good guesses. The clicks are faster than once per revolution of the wheel. There have been replies that reference a CV joint - Have you found out what is causing it yet? Thanks - :confuse:
  • fletchowskifletchowski Member Posts: 4
    :( My problem is when it's very cold out and it has been sitting, as soon as I start driving I can count on it going off. I just blow it off, it's the weather.
    I have been wanting to get a chip for my 05 Armada (amongst other things - new air intake, etc.). Any advise on what would be the better thing to go for? There seems to be a wide dearth of avaliable products out there.
    When it's cold out your tire pressure drops. You SHOULD heed it's warning and put more air in. IIRC for every 8 degrees lower you lose 1 psi.

-mike
  • pamela3256pamela3256 Member Posts: 3
    No, they said that the factory put Altima/maxima tire sensors instead of titan/armada ones that what was causing the problem. Now the problem that I'm having it's that I was on vacation and I started the truck and it died, then I start again and it died, I had roadside assistance jump start it and it died again, so they towed it 120 miles to my house and it right now on the dealership getting it checked out, no loaner! I'm talking to Nissan to get it exchanged for another one, I'm very disappointed, I love my Armada but it's not worth the trouble and stress. :sick:
    Bad TP sensors and it not starting 1x is not a great deal of problems actually. You'll never get it exchanged if those are the only problems.

-mike
  • lorihalllorihall Member Posts: 3
    I have a power hatch on my SUV. The other day it closed on me while I was unloading my stuff. when the hatch touched me it kept on closing until it broke. I was trapped. I am not sure why it finally broke if it was because of me reacting and fighting the door or what. It fractured my back. Has anyone had the hatch close on them and the sensor did not work correctly? Nissan is covering all parts except the shock which I have to pay $61.00. If this would have been my 2 year old child it would have killed her. The nissan dealer does not know why this happened. I get my car back next week. I know this will happen again.
    thanks... I didn't mean to seem flippant, I always will put air in it, but I meant that it never fails to happen. anyway, sometimes a little less pressure seems to help with the traction in crappy weather, terrain.
  • aaintnaaintn Member Posts: 1
    Recently my rear hatch door and seat adjustments stopped working on my Nissan Armada LE 2005. I have checked the fuses and all are fine. Any ideas to check before taking to the dealer?

Thanks