Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Torrent Stabilitrak and Traction Control Lights

ace331ace331 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2016 in Pontiac
I have a 07 Torrent bout 20k miles. The traction control light came on, and the panel says to service stabilitrak and traction control. It came on while I was stopped at a red light. Whenever I push on the gas the wheels wont spin til RPMs are about 3000, and barely at that. I was only a few blocks away so I was able to make it home fine. Has anyone else had this problem?

See also: GM Stabilitrak and Traction Control Problems

Comments

• ellengelleng Member Posts: 33
    Yes I had the same issue and made an appointment to have it looked at but the next day the light went out so I never took it into the dealership.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Sounds like it might be the ABS wheel sensors.
  • emickelsonemickelson Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 that did the same thing but only after setting at idle for about 15 - 20 minutes at the bank. Took it to the dealer. Shut it off and it started right back up and the dealer said there were not error codes and if it did it again to drive it in and leave it running. It did it again and when I took it in left it running the dealer service rep shut it off. And same thing no error codes the next morning. 2nd time it had no power and barely made it to the dealer. Now it seems to have a miss at city speeds. Did yours do the same? Anyone else have this problem.
  • nemanema Member Posts: 1
    My 07 did the same thing - 20k miles. Wiring Harness had snapped in the front right tire. Service Traction Control, Service Stabilitrak and ABS lights all on.
    DIdn't take much too fix - wish I new why/how it snapped.
  • nursefishnursefish Member Posts: 1
    The battery died so I got the vehicle boosted. When it started the stabilitrack states that it needs service and the power steering seems to have gone out. Not sure what happened. It is a 2008, low miles. Can anyone explain what happened? :confuse:
  • johnny60johnny60 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. 42,000 miles on an 07 Torrent. The dealer tells me he's never heard of a problem and they know nothing.
  • wbechardwbechard Member Posts: 2
    I had this problem on my '07 @ 35,000 kms just about a month ago. Torrent drove fine, just had the light on for a few days until it was cleared.

Dealership cleared the error, then applied a firmware update to the stabilitack module. They then had to re-calibrate all of my wheel sensors.
  • bg3075bg3075 Member Posts: 7
    I had the same happen to a 2007 Torrent, at about 52000 miles. The dealer replaced an electronic control module, which part costs $400. I just also changed out my front struts and had the same dealer re-align all four wheels. The service stabilitrak and traction control light just came on again, but the dealer was too busy to look at it the same day. Next day the service lights are off again. Will wait to see if they come on again and bring to the dealer or Autozone for analysis.

Also, tip on replacing the struts. Struts and mounts are difficult to find for this year vehicle, but are available for the 2006 model. Make sure to replace the strut mounts as well... mine made lots of noise the first time I replaced one strut and not the strut mount. I found Monroe struts and mounts at Advance Auto Parts (again for 2006 model).
  • bg3075bg3075 Member Posts: 7
    I found this TSB, which may be helpful:

NHTSA Item Number: 10028186
    Service Bulletin #: PIT-4756
    Replacement #:
    Vehicle/Equipment Make: PONTIAC
    Vehicle/Eqipment Model: TORRENT
    Model Year: 2007
    Mfg Component Code: 036400 SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK:ABS WARNING LIGHT
    Date of Bulletin: 2008-11-01
    Date Added: 2009-03-13
    Summary: GENERAL MOTORS: ABS AND STABILITRAK LIGHTS ON DTC(S) U0121, C0550, C0186, C0196, C0710, C0252. THIS CONCERN CAN BE CAUSED BY WIRE HARNESS GOING TO EBCM, CHAFFING ON TRANSMISSION MOUNT OR METAL BRACKET. *PE

Other similar TSBs include:
    NHTSA# 10021080, Service Bulletin# 4260
    and NHTSA# 10023914, Service Bulletin# 070232009
  • englishteach1englishteach1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the exact same problem with my '07 Torrent. Can you tell me if the problem was fixed? Mine is currently at the dealer. This is the second time the power steering has gone out.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    englishteach1,

Have you contacted GM Customer Assistance regarding the problems you have been experiencing? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • krbandjsbkrbandjsb Member Posts: 1
    The problem isn't the stability trac I just had the same problem on a 2008 torrent and the problem ended up being a dead cell in my battery
  • 08torrentgxp08torrentgxp Member Posts: 4
    I'm having the same issue with our 2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP (front wheel drive). The issue first started with only 30k miles on the odometer. As previously stated, once you turn the car off and start it back up the code would disappear. The code came back on within a few 100 miles, so we decided to take it to the dealer. Five separate trips to the same dealership spanning over a month and the issue is still there. Action items performed thus far, all by dealership are:

- CODE 131
    - Steering Angle Sensor
    - Realigned Toe and Caster
    - BFP Sensor
    - Brake Pressure Modulator Valve Replacement
    - BPP Sensor Replaced and Retested
    - Found Internal Short In the EBCM - Reprogrammed the module
    - Re-calibrated Steering Angle Position

Our next step was to contact GM Customer Service on getting this issue resolved. We've talked to them twice, now we have been waiting for 2 weeks for a "follow-up", hopefully resolution call. In the mean time, we gave up on that dealership and have taken our vehicle to another dealership to solve this issue.

We are nearing the end of our warranty and would hate to be stuck with the bill of repairs for something that first occurred while under warranty. I will provide any updates as they come along. Maybe user bg3075 is onto something, I will mention this to the service rep.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    It looks like you already have a case going, 08torrentgxp. If you wanted to forward the reference number (71-**********) or the last 8 digits of your VIN to us at socialmedia@gm.com, we can check into the progress of your case for you.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    We'll be sending you an email shortly with the requested information. There is some additional information that I have left out this post concerning the repairs performed while trying to chase down this issue. We will include the details in the email we are sending you along with the case reference number.
    Update....

Yesterday we took our Torrent to the other dealership (let's call it Dealership B), hoping for better results. I mentioned the service bulletin noted by bg3075, but the service rep dismissed it, because the years did not match up (we have a 2008 vs a 2007). Dealership B is well aware of all previous work performed on our vehicle and decided to do the following:

- Re-calibrated the brake pedal switch and the steering angle sensor

The car was good for one day (approx. 40 miles), then the Service Traction Control Service Stabilitrak message appeared once more on the Driver Information Center (DIC). Dealership B would like for us to bring the car in again to take another look at the vehicle tomorrow. The saga continues....hopefully GM Customer Service will help us out.
  • silversub122silversub122 Member Posts: 2
    I have had this continual problem with my 07 Torrent FWD since I bought the vehicle new in Dec of 2007. It has been in a couple different dealerships nearly a dozen times for this and several other problems.

The power steering doesn't engage on startup and/or various warning lights for the Traction Control, Stabilitrak, Charging System, Reduced Engine Power, start coming on and then anywhere from 1 week - 3 months my battery will completely fail.

Currently my vehicle has been diagnosed by a GM Tech as having an 'undiagnosable electrical issue' that results in intermittent battery drain and failure. I was told there was nothing more they could do without keeping the car for several weeks in order to monitor it. The dangerous part is that on two occasions I have been driving with my children in the vehicle and the electrical systems start dying. I have had the car 5 years and it currently on it's 5th battery. The Service Stabilitrak warning started showing yesterday (Oct 23, 2012) so I am anticipating having to replace the battery again soon. Luckily the batteries never even get close to being out of warranty.

I had opened a case with GM in February 2012 after my 4th battery replacement. The only thing they would do is offer me a unspecified amount, but no more than $1000, off the purchase of a new vehicle. However, eventually I stopped getting updates on what was going on with my claim and the rep stopped returning my calls.

If anyone finds a resolution to this issue please let me know. I would love to get this fixed.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    silversub122,

If you had wanted for us to check into what happened with your previous Service Request, we would be happy to check that out. Please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN, as well as your name and contact information, to socialmedia@gm.com

Hey silversub122. Just to let you know, we are still talking to GM Customer Service as well trying to see what they can do for us as the first shop, Dealership A, did some sketchy work on our vehicle. Now under startup our vehicle blows a puff of blue smoke, as if oil is making it's way pass the cylinder rings and onto the top of the piston.

So after taking the car back to Dealership B again, they diagnosed our problem as the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve. Apparently this piece was defective from the beginning and Dealership A, for whatever reason, decided to work backwards on the service bulletin provided to fix this issue. The Tech from Dealership B, speculated that Dealership A probably worked backwards, because this part did not exist in GM's inventory anymore. The piece we now have in our vehicle was specially made just to fix our issue. We have driven our Torrent about 150 miles and one week without the Service Stabilitrak Service Traction Control from appearing on the Driver Information Center (DIC) screen. I'll update this post if it does come back on.

I'm still very concern about the puff of blue smoke I see during startup that appeared after Dealership A had their hands on our Torrent. I'll be monitoring the oil levels and the amount of smoke for any unusual changes. We are still hoping that GM Customer Service will negotiate with us on something to help us keep this vehicle. If not, we may just have to leave the General. Standing behind your product, and making customers happy goes along way, especially with sources like the internet that can get your voice out there.
  • silversub122silversub122 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Sarah, I have sent the requested information to the email address indicated.

A new development on my ongoing saga - I have now begun seeing the 'Service Airbag' warning indicator as well.

These warning indicators appear and disappear each time I start the vehicle. Sometimes I get more than one, sometimes none at all. Sometimes they stay on until I turn off the vehicle, other times they will go off while I'm driving.

At this point I want to get rid of this car. As much as I liked it in the beginning, all these constant warning lights, electrical and mechanical system failures, and the fact that I can't even take it through a car wash without getting water pouring through the A-pillars like a garden hose has completely soured me on the vehicle.

Unfortunately, dealers will only offer about half of the Kelly Blue Book value for trade-in because 'the brand is no longer being produced' and anyone with the ability to get a Carfax report can see all the problems it has had, so I'm stuck.
  • ronniefanninronniefannin Member Posts: 1
    I've had these exact same problems. I bought my 07 Torrent AWD and it had 8000 miles on it. It now has 85000 but I have been plagued by these lights coming on since I've owned the piece of junk. Dealers tell you they cant tell you anything if the light isnt on when you bring it in. I recently found out that before I bought the vehicle it had problems with the stabilitrack system and had been completely replaced before I bought the vehicle. I've had it into service multiple times. They've tried reprogramming the computer, replacing a connector, and I'm not sure what else but the problem always resurfaces. Lately the service airbag light comes on sometimes as well. It usually goes away when u shut it off and let it sit awhile and restart it. And then maybe 2 miles down the road or 200 miles down the road it will come back on. I also have problems with the rear wiper on the vehicle. Sometimes when u push the button it does nothing. If I disconnect the battery and reconnect it and THEN push the rear wiper button then it works. It all just seems like horrible electical issues to me. I'm sure one of these days it will leave me stranded somewhere. I just wish I could get someone to actually help me resolve the issue.
    ronniefannin,
    If we can check into what has been done with your dealership already to see if there is anywhere we can go from here, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• cddrumscddrums Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Torrent and I keep getting the same service lights on. This has to be a design problem. Why has GM not recalled these trucks???
    cddrums,
    Are you planning on getting this checked into? If you decide to work with a GM dealership, we're available to assist in that process and can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership with a brief recap of the situation).

• nitaboyernitaboyer Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchases a 2008 Pontiac Torrent about 5 weeks ago. No problems until this weekend. I am now getting "Service Stabilitrack" warning light and a "Service Traction Control" warning light. The vehicle began to miss bad during my driving time while these lights began flashing on my dashboard. Wasn't sure what to do. I was able to park the vehicle for about 3 hours and the lights didn't come on immediately but tried to once I restarted it again. All seemed well but now the "traction control" light stays on. Not sure if this is normal, do you? I did take the vehicle to be washed at a local coin operated car wash 2 days before these warning lights came on and I'm thinking the Pontiac began missing while driving at about 30 MPH ever since I took a car wash hose to it to clean off salt from snow the other day. Any advice? Thanks-Nita
    I just bought a 2008 Pontiac Torrent 6 weeks ago (81,000 miles) on it and love it. However, as of this weekend, it is starting to miss while driving about 30 miles per hour. My Traction Control Light is on as well as the Stabilitrack Service Light. I took the vehicle through the car wash 2 days ago and I believe this is when it began to miss/hesitate while driving at a low speed. Were you able to find solultions to your similar problems with this vehicle? Thanks, Nita
    Hopefully you get some input from the community soon, Nita. If you decide to get this checked out with a GM dealer and would like for us to do any follow-up on the appointment, please be sure to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation).

Hopefully, my Torrent is now fixed after service warning lights for Traction Control and Stability were displayed. Also, my vehicle was bucking and almost stalling when driving about 40 miles per hour. These lights disappeared once the battery was disconnected. The bucking and stalling still continued even after an EGR valve was replaced for $302.00. Come to find out....all I needed was a plug. Callibar 5 went out. Didn't cost me a penney for the plug since the vehicle has a manufacturer warranty up to 100,000 miles (but I was out the $302.00--and I doubt if I really needed that EGR valve). -Nita
    Glad to hear your Torrent has been fixed, nitaboyer! All the best in this new year!

• mkeinathmkeinath Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2008 Pontiac Torrent with about 90,000 miles. The service stability track light, traction control, and right front tire pressure lights just started showing up. Today, my car starting swerving from side to side while going around a corner all by itself! I couldn't control this with my steering wheel and there was oncoming traffic. What is up with this? I thought we were going to be really injured or die. No recalls?
    How did you get the vehicle to stop swerving? You really should report this to Pontiac-GMC. So dangerous. Seems like I've read about this type of problem with Torrents elsewhere. Someone needs to take the first steps in reporting that type of problem.
    mkeinath,

If you would like for us to check for any open recalls on your vehicle, or to help in the process of working with a dealership to get this checked into, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and a brief summary of the situation so far).

• daggersdaggers Member Posts: 1
    I have a Pontiac Torrent which has been serviced for traction control and loss power no less than 3 times since buying the truck new in 2007. Unfortunately the problem has occurred again, 4th time. The truck was fixed 3 times under the factory and extended warranty although each time I had to pay to have the computer flashed. It is covered under the warranty but still having to pay to get the vehicle back which is ridiculous. They claim everything else is covered under the warranty but flashing isn't covered although they claim the throttle body wont work without being flashed. None the less, I am now faced with having to have it "repaired" again and wondering do I take it back to the dealer who I bought the vehicle from and "repaired" it on the 3 previous occasions or try a Chevy dealer since the vehicle is essentially the same as the Eqinox. I love he truck when it is running correctly, but tired of my wife getting stuck. The problem occurred twice when she was on the highway and almost caused an accident when she's driving on the highway and the power is suddenly reduced. The dealer claims on all 3 previous occasions the problem was caused by a faulty throttle body. It according to the dealer they solved the problem by replacing it. I Can't understand if others are having his same problem why a permanent solution hasn't been found to correct it. i wonder are the replacement throttle bodies faulty also. Unfortunately it is no longer covered by the warranty so in addition to the $100 + for the flashing ill have to pay for the throttle body and labor to get it fixed.
    daggers,
    If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • jay_birdjay_bird Member Posts: 3
    christmas day my control panel displayed "service stabilitrak and traction control" and my tracktion control light can on as did my check engine light. Two days later they went off and then came back on. I do not have lose of power or control issues. When its was hooked up to a tested it said my EGR valve was bad and then the light went off and stayed off for a week and then came back on. I have not taken it back to be put on the tester yet. how do you service this?
    Good morning jay_bird,
    Are you looking to resolve this on your own, or with a dealership? If the latter, we're available to help you through that process. Keep us posted!

• jl21jl21 Member Posts: 1
    This is EXACTLY the problem I am having. I had the EGR valve replaced and the engine light came on 8 hrs. later. Was there any resolution to this??? The on and off has been going on about 4 mos. I am working with a Chevy dealership.
  • jay_birdjay_bird Member Posts: 3
    I would like to try and fix myself. I can not afford to take it to the dealership all the time. Being a woman the price automatically doubles....
    jl21,
    If you would like for us to check into this further with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • neo3979neo3979 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Pontiac Torrent. Here in last couple of days the stabilitrac light comes and and says reduced power. turn the truck off of a couple of hours it goes away. works find when its dry. seem to only come on when the weather is cold, raining, or snow. I do not have much money to get this fix by the dealer since its out of warranty. is there anything i can do to fix this.
  • lapnatlapnat Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem since January 2013 with my 2009 Pontiac Torrent, on January 28, the lights came on and power was reduced to 40 km/h when I was doing 120 on the highway, brought it to the dealership for fixing, the replaced the throttle body and flashed computer under warranty. Car worked fine until March 3 when the lights came back on (repair Stabilitrak and traction systems but no power loss, good thing cause I was again on the highway), brought it in this morning, they replaced the EGR valve and flashed the computer again, again under warranty...need to take the highway tonight, hopefully it doesn't come back. Seems the problem affects all Torrents since 2006, you would think they would find a fix that works after such time.
    Good afternoon lapnat,
    I see you're using kilometers per hour as your unit of measurement - are you writing from outside of the United States? If you would like for us to get information for you on customer service in your region, let us know.

• jessmk1221jessmk1221 Member Posts: 1
    The issue with the traction control and the stablitrak seems to be a known issue and that a lot of people with this vehicle are having this problem. In addition to these issues I am currently having an issue with my all wheel drive, my abs is light is on and the check engine light is on because of a cylinder misfire issue. I have had my torrent into the dealer to be services several times for different issues from the traction control and stablitrak being serviced to the paint peeling within a year of having it. When the paint peeling issue was taken care if it was not done well and looks awful to this day. my car is out of warranty now and I'm at a loss for words about the several issues pccuring at once with this car. Since some of the issues seem to be issues that a lot of people are having I would have thought gm would have sent out some type of recall or a special service plan for the known issues.
  • stef11stef11 Member Posts: 1
    Yes I had the same issue Torent 2008 just problems.I spent more than 5000 for repairs.Today I was in the garage and the next issue,and again $ 800.SPARK PLUG WIRES NEED REPLACING,BODY / PAINT PROBLEMS,AIR BAGS PROBLEMS and 1000 more. Hopeless car.
  • hking44hking44 Member Posts: 2
    This just happened to me again tonight. I was stopped at a light it's pouring rain out. The car started shaking hard but no lights came on. The light turned green I went and it seemed fine. I pulled over and stopped and it seemed fine. I got on the highway and less than 5 mins the service stabilitrak service warning cane on. This happened a couple of years ago also and I took it to the dealership for service under warranty. The car has 128k and is no longer under warranty. This is obviously a problem. Why hasn't GM recalled this??
  • hking44hking44 Member Posts: 2
    I just had a 125,000 mile service done. All the spark plugs and wires replaced a month ago!
  • copemom91copemom91 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2007 Torrent less than 3 months ago. Last night after stopping for gas I started my car and the warning lights came on about the stabilitrack and I had NO power steering. I shut off the car hoping it would reset but had to drive home with NO power steering. Next morning car started with full steering, error light still on but then shut off a few miles down the road. I drove the car straight to the dealer. A week before while on a road trip I was on the highway running about 80 mph when a weird feeling in the steering started I looked at the dashboard and it said I was only doing 40mphs and I had to pull off the road shut off the car and it reset it self. I am sad to see All of these similar reports!!!!!! Have a great dealer who is trying to help with contacting GM. Sad and not feeling this is a safe car to drive!!!!!!
  • coal2013coal2013 Member Posts: 1

I bought a 2008 Torrent brand new in 2009. It had 200 miles on it because it had to be driven from Virginia to WV, to the dealership where I bought it. As soon as I got it home from the dealership it started to fall apart. Back wiper motor grounded, had to replace battery in 4 months, six disc cd stereo started to act up and would not eject or play cds. Also steering column started to make bad noise, and vibrate badly. With about 15,000 miles seal between motor and transmission started leaking transmission fluid. Now service airbag light comes on everytime someone sits in passenger seat. It goes on and off, on and off. Oh, and the back seats stopped laying down at about 20,000 miles. Locked up on the inside. And, the front passenger side seat won't adjust because it is locked up also. Now, the ABS light stays on, and the service traction control light is on. Plus, the stabilitrak service light just came on. 75,000 miles on vehicle. This is pitiful! I have never bought a brand new car that was a lemon right from the get go! CFrom reading the other posts, it seems that others are having similar problems. Some sound dangerous or life threating. This only leads me to ask one question: "No recall GM?" All I can say is "Lesson learned GM." Never again will I own a GM product! And I purchase many vehicles. I am like many hard working people who can not afford to keep running back and forth to a dealership and paying high repair bills because a warranty has run out. And, I can't afford to let my family to be in an unsafe Pontiac Torrent.

• barrybensonbarrybenson Member Posts: 1

Hi,
    I have a 2007 Pontiac Torrent and this Stabilitrack warning keeps coming on and off. I'm not sure if it is having any impact while driving, but reading the posts above I am a bit scarred. We did go to the dealer and they want $120 just to check what is wrong - why we are getting this message. Given all these posts, seems GM should perform this check for no charge, and then let me know what is going on. Seems like a recall might be justified.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Well you have to scan the car for trouble codes, otherwise you're working in the dark. Perhaps you can get a free scan at Autozone. Might just be a simple sensor issue.