Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 VW Passat CC

Comments

• rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Something amazing is going to happen. VW is finally going to add factory installed Bluetooth. Models with the RNS-510 will be getting bluetooth. VW made a revision to the RNS-510. They replaced the Mute button with the phone button. It looks like they finally got a real BT module. It will probably be retrofittable so people that don't have bluetooth will get it. The Bluetooh equipped cars will be produced starting Calendar week 45 which means they might be coming in soon. I believe they released a part number in the ETKA which mentions it. 1K8 035 730 B is probably that part. The bluetooth module will have MFD integration, Touch screen menu that does various things like 6 contact presets, Touch screen dialing, Caller info, A2DP aka Bluetooth Audio on the RNS-510 and so on.

I hope you're on the look out for this new bluetooth kit. It will be retrofittable but it will be an expensive retrofit. It should work for those without nav but it's optimized for it. VW is going to release the RCD-510 sometime this year or maybe next year for 2010. That radio is touch screen 6 disc Changer model.
    Bluetooth is now listed as an option on vw.com/. It's optional on all models. Sport models get a basic bluetooth kit while other models get one with Voice Control. I don't think it requires the nav though but it does offer a cool touch screen menu which is nice.
    1K8 035 730 B is now available at worldimpex. Just google worldimpex and it will link you to their site. Then search for 1K8 035 730 B. It should have full bluetooth integration. Nav owners will get a special phone menu. It will also have MFD integration as well. $554.64 is the price for it and it's on sale. Installation and coding not included. You can use the cheaper Volk-L kit if you want. It might not be a kit so you might have to buy a Mic, Harness, mount and other various parts.
  • mitchellbmitchellb Member Posts: 3
    I am considering the purchase of a 2009 cc with the 200hp 4 cylinder. Can anyone tell me if this engine is indeed the SAME engine being used in the Golf GTI?

And, as a Passat V6 owner, I have heard countless horror stories about a sludge problem with previous VW 4 cylinder engines. Has the company done anything to REALLY address this, or am I asking for a nightmare experience?

Thanks for all for any input,
    MF
  • bigd19bigd19 Member Posts: 6
    I can't tell you if this is the same engine... What I can tell you is that the engine on the 2.0 liter performs amazingly. I took a test drive in one on the capital beltway and without incriminating myself have to say that it was an amazing experience!

I "settled" for the 2.0 liter 4 cylinder.
    The RNS-510 nav for the Passat CC has a firmware update. It's a TSB your dealer can perform but you can do it yourself. TSB is 91-09-02. Firmware version is 0320. Newer version of the RNS-510 where the 4th button on the left says Phone have this version pre installed. Ones that say Mute need the update. Fixes a bunch of response issues.

http://rapidshare.com/files/196596039/0320.part1.rar.html Part 1 of 2
    http://rapidshare.com/files/196596041/0320.part2.rar.html Part 2 of 2

Download both .rar files and extract part 1 which will extract both files. Burn the ISO to a CD with nero or easy cd/DVD creator. You can burn it with the equivalent for OSX. Key must be off and out of ignition. Insert the disc to the RNS-510 and wait about 30 to 35 minutes. It will then finish and you can reboot the RNS-510 by pressing <> and brightness. Don't start car until it's done. GPS fix must be done by leaving the car outside for 30 minutes while the nav is on. Nothing is lost with the firmware update. Even if you're not having problems, do this update since it will make it better. Enjoy!
  • milkman1milkman1 Member Posts: 80
    It's the same dreaded 2.0T and I have not encountered any owner of one who hasnot had a problem with it. I love test driving anything with one in it though. I dream of a day when Consumer Reports puts the recommended check mark next to the Passat again.
  • kinctkinct Member Posts: 59
    The sludging issue in the smaller 4-cyl turbos (1.8T, 2.0T) was indeed an issue *ages* ago when VW / Audi was still telling people to put lower-quality (dino) oils in the engines. They changed that to different (synthetic oils) a long time ago. Now, combine the recommended oil with routine changes (IMHO this means 5,000 miles) and good quality filters and voila! No more sludge problem. (I sold my fantastic 99 Passat 1.8T w 224,800 miles on it 6-7 months ago). Now in an Audi A4 with the 2.0T engine. That shows you how concerned I am with those engines... :-) BTW, my Passat did have non-synth oil in it for roughly 35,000 miles - I am not staring at the records, they are on another PC right now. After that, all synthetics (Mobil1 0w40, mostly with K&N filters).

If you are the type of person who lets oil changes slide "a little here and there", stick to the V6's - they can tolerate that more than the V4s (not that it's a good idea mind you). If you don't maintain the engine well, then yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the sludge issue reared it's ugly head. Maintain it well, and those engines are superb. Personally, I like the improved gas mileage over the V6's, while still having lots of power.

Oh, and another thought. I would be extremely paranoid about who you let change the oil. My father is getting lazy I guess and is taking his cars to Jiffy Lube and watches them the whole time to assure they are putting in the synthetic oil. My approach is "do it yourself". My Audi dealer was more than a little perplexed (and annoyed I think) when I turned down the offer of getting the first oil change done for free at 5,000 miles. I had already done the first change at ~1,400 miles and the second one at 5,960 miles. I value my cars that much that I pretty much trust nobody with the oil & filter. Now, unfortunately my abilities don't stretch up to timing belts and things like that, so I do trust others for that.
  • milkman1milkman1 Member Posts: 80
    My friend who just traded his for a civic is a master of detail who babied his GLI to the last. I called him up on this very topic. He followed the maintenance plan to a T and still had the sludge, outside warranty, low miles.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I am wondering why VW chose to make the CC a 4 seat car. I would love to see a 5 seater. It would be perfect. What is the advantage in putting the cup holders in the middle rather than putting seat there. I can see the look and feel they are wanting. I think their is a Benz that has this look. But, it limits buyers. I usually do not have 5 people in my car all the time, but when we do go on vacation, we need that 5th seat.
    BUT, would I get the car if their was a good lease out on the car? I probably would, I would just have to get a rental to go on vacation. Black, with the tan and black interior leather seats. That would be beautiful!!

Still only 4 seats! :(

The interior is a nice welcome compared to the regular Passat. It looks more pulled together. The exterior looks very sharp, especially in the black.
  • contryl3oycontryl3oy Member Posts: 2
    I am getting a 2.0t sport and would like to have the Home Link installed. Has anyone had this done or even know if its possible to get done? It looks as easy as ordering a new sun visor with the Home Link installed. The wire harness is the only question.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    He followed the maintenance plan to a T and still had the sludge, outside warranty, low miles.

Chances are:

1) The dealer performed the oil changes using their oil (either the bulk 5w30 oil or a hydrocracked " (petroleum base stock) synthetic" oil which meets the minimal VW 502.00 spec).

2) The owner changed the oil himself with a motor oil that does not conform to VW 502.00 or VW 503.01 spec.

3) The owner didn't adhere to the 5000 mile oil change interval (went over the 5000 mile interval a few times.

I have two 1.8Ts with 135,000 and 98,000 miles, respectively. No sludge. Not even a hint of sludge. Would you like to know why?

Before I reveal the answer, see this link for a background of synthetic oils:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

Based on my nearly 30 years of VW ownership (as both a mechanic and a regular owner), here's my secret - I use Group IV (synthetic base stock) motor oils that are on the VW 502.00 list. The handful of VW 502.00 spec Group IV motor oils available in this country include:

Mobil 1 0w-40 European Formula
    Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w-40 (My preferred motor oil)
    Elf Excellium NF 5w-40 (Formerly known as Excellium LDX)

The newer VW 503.01 Spec Group IV motor oils (which your friend's GLI should have been using) available in this country include:

Mobil 1 0w-40 European Formula
    Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (Bottle must say MADE IN GERMANY)

All other oils on the VW 502.00 spec sold in this country consist of dino-based "Hydrocracked" Synthetics.

I refuse to use the Hydrocracked Group III motor oils. Period. End of Story.

Anyone who doesn't do the research and sweat the details on the oil isn't the
    "master of detail" that they appear to be..

But don't take my word for it. I will gladly refer you to my colleague Shipo for his knowledgeable perspective on this topic.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    4 seats because it's cool...like the CLS, CLK, 3 series, 6 series, A5

not un-cool like the Accord coupe & Altima coupe

I understand the reasoning...2 comfortable seats in the back as opposed to 3 uncomfortable ones, but I need 3 uncomfortable ones for small children :)

I loved the CC (except the no nav with manual) but the 4 seats excluded it from my list...
    Well, the mercedes is just butt ugly! :( it really is in my opinion. Well, perhaps the car will sell like the EOS, with no real incentives on it. I would think the would need to offer something, as the current passat is not selling to hot. The same Passat I test drove last year 08 Spring, is still their on the lot. New.

I love the CC too, my mom and I sat in one at a car show! Love how you sit back snug in the drivers seat. The leather felt so good. I could possibly get by without the 5th seat. But, I certainly won't pay over cost for one on a lease. Other cars will shine better on lease deals. Even the new Acura's out now are selling for amazing deals.
    The dealer I spoke to about a month ago said they could offer under invoice.

This was for a CC sitting in port (or just came in); base/manual.

I don' think there is much room to go under invoice, but it certainly is a good starting point.
    The issue now is that I am currently in a lease, and have been for one year. Spring always gets me thinking of a new car...lol. I am in a GM car, the reason I want out!
  • 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    We test drove a CC VR6 2wd today. We owned an Audi 5000 at one time and drove a used A4 recently. Not fun cars IMO. We found the CC to be a pleasure. It handled, was sporty, very attractive compared to the ugly Passat. Well, maybe not ugly, but plain and boring. After the Audi and reliability on European cars in general, I swore I would never buy another. But I liked this car. My wife really liked it. There were two exceptions - road noise, and the 4600# weight. Yeow! Baby Phaeton? Not sure how it compared to others with large wheels and short sidewall tires though. They may all have their share. I noticed complaints about the ride. We prefer a sporty suspension. This was firm, but compliant, not harsh. I won't suffer harsh. Too old to put up with that. For us, it was just right for driving fun. We have an 03 Avalon, and replaced the struts with KYB GR2's and Energy performance bushings on the sway bars. HUGE improvement over stock, but those who don't like the CC suspension may not like that either, but my wife sure does.

The one thing that bothers me is reliability. Not sure I want a first year car. My old room mate had an older Passat, and made sure it was long gone before the warranty ran out. One thing after another. How has the CC been? Have you owners had any problems? After a Toyota, I can't/won't live with that. What kind of real world mileage figures are you seeing?
    and the 4600# weight

I think you mean 3600lbs...

which is about inline with all 6cyl cars of this size (meaning too heavy :) )
    "and the 4600# weight

I think you mean 3600lbs... "

Just quoting the salesman. I asked the weight. He guessed 3100. I said More like 3600. He found the label on the door post and said Wow. 4600#. We were both wrong. I didn't verify.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The door jamb label gives the gross weight rating, which is the total allowable weight of vehicle plus passengers and cargo. Edmunds has the curb weight of the CC as 3300.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
    "The door jamb label gives the gross weight rating, which is the total allowable weight of vehicle plus passengers and cargo. Edmunds has the curb weight of the CC as 3300."

Now that makes much more sense. More what the car felt like. At first the salesman couldn't find it and went in to ask, therefore I didn't question it, and we got off on something else. Thanks for clarifying it. It just didn't sound right.
  • pjwanttoknowpjwanttoknow Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone give me an honest answer on the milage they get from their new 2.0L T gas engine.
  • miamiccmiamicc Member Posts: 6
    the CC is a heavy car, so you dont get the same milage as say a passat or jetta which also bring the same engine. What I do with my CC is set the tripometer to zero. I get about 350 miles out of a full tank, which is 18 gal, so its about 20 MPG. Driving condiotions and styles affect how much you get out of it, and also the gas you buy, and how fast you drive. I use the cheapest gas and drive as fast as possible :) Hope this helps....
  • pjwanttoknowpjwanttoknow Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info...... just purchased my CC today cant wait to take delivery.
  • drmikkidrmikki Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have information about the Passat CC TDI coming to the United States?
    Thanks in advance
    I heard there are no plans for a CC TDI.
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    GolfGT, I've read up on BobIsTheOilGuy as much as the next person, and i'm at least superficially familiar with the issue of hydrocracked oils.

From what little I know, I agree wholeheartedly that hydrocracked oil is clearly not as good as original synthetic motor oil, in either protection or durability. Granted.

But as an EX-Volkswagen owner (with premature valvetrain wear that was later reported to be endemic to a whole generation of VW fours), and as someone who now has over 150,000 miles on a Japanese engine running with hydrocracked oil, I have to call foul. The specs for regular dino oil today are so good, any approved SAE oil should be able to keep you running well past 100,00 miles in any dependably designed engine.

The notion that hydrocracked oil isn't good enough for the current VW 2.0 turbo is not an indictment of the oil, it's an indictment of VW's engine. I'm blown away that you've chugged so much Wolfsburg Kool-Aid you can't see that.
  • louneinerlouneiner Member Posts: 6
    I have had a luxury w. tech package for a few weeks now. The one thing they really missed was giving you the option for a QWERTY keyboard on the satnav. My Garmins have that. Since I type a lot in business, it is a pain in the but to have to type in places in ABC format.

Other than that, a a high number of errors in the manual, I'm real pleased.
    Well VW is not GM, that is good, and I have leased 2 VW's and have not had any problems with them. I still have a new VW. Much older models have suffered some issues. It is now, the general public is still holding on to that old reputation. I completely understand that. I am the same way, before moving forward to a new model. You should have minimal issues, as the car is a new body style, but the guts of the car have been around for years. No car is ever truly perfect at some point in its life. Maintenance is covered though now!!

The Passat was a car that I looked at too, and I loved the cobalt blue color, but the black interior with its weird seating, harsh feeling doors. It was sorta tacky. The Jetta interior is much more refined that the passat. The VW CC interior is more inviting and plush. The drivers seat is so comfortable. It sink right into it. Very contoured to your back and head.

The VW CC has gotten great reviews, and you can blame the economy, because it seems to me you can get a fairly good deal on one. When normally they are so strict in price. I am thinking of getting one, but it only has 4 seats available.

Best of luck! I think you will love the car! Looks classy, drives great!
  • danprtrdanprtr Member Posts: 25
    Did you find anyone (or anyway of) doing this? This one option they definitely should have included.
  • contryl3oycontryl3oy Member Posts: 2
    No. No one has had any ideas on this yet. I am working with my dealer on this issue as well and so far they have come up with nothing. I even tried the after-market route. I have seen on different web sites that it can be done with other models so I am guessing it can be done with the CC as well. There is a 2 wire harness for the vanity light in the visor which from what I understand on the homelink models there are 3 wires. The 3rd wire is for homelink that will only enable the door opener to work while the ignition is on. So if anyone has had any luck with this issue it would be great to hear from you. Thanks
  • ccownerccowner Member Posts: 5
    See if your garage door opener has a learning button, this is used when you replace you handheld openers that have the roving codes. is it does than after getting the home link in the car to learn the remote control signal, you then have someone sit in the car, and another person at the learn button on the garage door opener, this person presses the learn button, then within 30 seconds the person in the car press the home link button and the opener learns the cars home link signal.
    I just purchased a 2009 CC, and everything works great, except trying to download music to the 30G hard drive. I have tried multiple SD cards, yet the system responds with the same error message that "there is a problem with the card" I have purchased new cards, new CDs to no avail. The dealership has no clue either; does anyone have any idea or have had success downloading music?
    Well here are some changes for 2010.

The biggest change is one acronym. DSG baby! DSG will be available on 2.0T models. Bluetooth and a new non nav headunit are now standard. The 3.6 sport now gets dynaudio. I think the VR6 models now get Dynaudio standard. I did hear that homelink will be available on the 2010 models. Hope this helps.
  • mitchellbmitchellb Member Posts: 3
    VW's CC website lists this engine as award winning, but it doesn't include any other useful info. Does anyone know more about it? When did VW receive the "honor" for the engine? What is it about the engine that makes it a "standout?" ETC. Who issued the "award?"
    I'm trying to find out if this something to legitimately get excited about or if it is a bunch of hot air from VW.
    Thanks for any input!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
  • sydbsydb Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible that the SD cards that you are using exceed 2GB? The manual, I believe, states that the SD card must be less than 2GB. Other than that, I can't think of what would be causing the error readout. If you require more than 2GB, buy a SD memory stick and download your music to it. You can plug the memory stick into the same cable that you would use to plug in your IPOD. This cable does not come with the car, but rather, must be purchased from your dealer. The part number is 000 051 446 C.
    The USB cable comes with the car. If you really need it then it would be part number 000 051 446 B. Thats for the USB cable. There is a mini USB cable part number 000 051 446 A. You can't rip from the MDI to the HDD. When using a USB HDD use FAT32 since the RNS-510 can't read NTFS.
    The SD card is on 2GB, the dealership actually brought in a factory rep. He stated that 2GB is also to large that it shoudl be 1GB or smaller. sounds like a cop out to me. the rep also could not get it to work and they tried other cars on the lot. so in thier defense they have ordered another media / radio from the factory figuring that may help. thanks for the information
    Hello, 2 weeks old and the passenger window stopped working. Stuck about .25" from top (position where the windows normally drop too, then raise upon opening/closing the doors). There is a faint clicking sound from the passenger door area when activating the switches on the drivers and passenger door but there is absolutely no movement.

The window movement "feature" when first explained by the salesman made me wonder if all that extra movement would cause problems.
    6spd. first tank of gas 30.4mpg. according the trip computer. highway driving was about 280mi. at average 75mph. Dan
    Thanks for the info. Had to look up DSG and it sounds cool (love manual trannies). VW's history with electrical malfunctions combined with the newness of the technology would worry me. However, the electrical assist steering worked great and I really liked it the '06 Passat and I like the same steering even better on the '09 CC. Dan
  • This technology has been available on various models for over 10 years and it tends to work flawlessly (why would you expect it to be any less reliable than any power window?). On my 2001 TT it never failed to work right.
  • DSG is no longer new tech. It is proven tech (available for many model years now).
    http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

Try this formatter. Also try FAT16 on the SD cards. It will work with 2 GB SD cards.
    Here is my low tech "Homelink" solution. Pushing up on the visor presses the garage remote button against the light in the headliner. Ain't fancy but works.

Doesn't look too bad in normal operation either (Compared to the clipping it too the bottom of the visor which is what I was doing):
    One more change. There will now be rear end badges. One that says CC and the other that says 2.0T or 3.6 4motion.
  • Where did you get your information? Any possibility of a diesel version here in the US?
    No plans for a TDI CC yet. Maybe it will some day. The forums won't let me reveal where I get my information. I do know that a new touch screen non nav radio will be standard.

Courtesy of my-gti.com for the pic. This is the european RCD-510 aka Premium VIII. The US version supports Sirius and HD radio. I've posted information on that radio a bunch of times. It does however support full iPod integration via the MDI and it's special iPod cable. I hear that Bluetooth will be standard and there will be two bluetooth kit. 9W2 which is a basic kit and nav models get the 9W3 UHV Premium kit that supports Bluetooth Audio streaming.
    http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/MY2010_change_points_US_-_2009-04-22.pdf

It confirms of what I've just said. The POS VW iPod adapter is being replaced by the MDI with it's special iPod cable. I'm glad they made that decision since you now get full iPod integration. Non Nav owners can finally enjoy full iPod integration :).