Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Navigation System

Comments

• themergthemerg Member Posts: 139
    I have not had an issue with the Random function with the new software release (A3_3) except for when using the Tune dial to select a new song and when you switch modes. The steering wheel controls and random are now working fine. All of this was when usnig an iPod hooked up. I have not tested this with a USB flash drive connected.

The one difference I notice compared to how it used to "work" for me and how it works for you is that when using the steering wheel controls before the fix, it would go to the next song randomly and the random feature would turn off. Basically, I was getting one song at random. That's a little different than you in which it appears that you don't get any songs at random when using the steering wheel controls.

I have a little bit of an in with the manager for the unit manufacturer. If you can confirm the issue with USB drives and the random function not working right, let me know and I'll advise them.

- Merg
  • peridocperidoc Member Posts: 18
    Right. The behavior of random before and after the fix is the same for me. Random would work fine as long as you never wanted to change the song manually. I can confirm in my car with the USB that the random does not work. When I hit next or previous song from the steering wheel it goes forward or backward one song in the same folder and turns the random function off.

While I am mentioning random function "glitches" with USB...

On a similar note, I have a issue as well with the folder random option. With a USB drive you can hit random once for full random and then random once more for random within the same folder function. The problem is that since I can not change the song while in regular random there is no way to place random within a folder on a specific folder I want. You would likely have to wait until you got to a song in the folder you wanted and then hit the random button to get the folder option, but I think that further complicating it is the fact that every hit of random (to turn on regular random or folder random) actually switches it to a new random song most likely in another folder. So...it seems that with USB there is no way to use the folder random function unless you are just lucky.

One final thing I have taken note of is that most times that I initiate a new random, it seems to start on the same song. I can basically turn random on and off over and over on the unit and it chooses the same "random" song to start with a great deal. (like almost every other time) This seems like some flawed logic for the random function that they are using. Maybe in the way they are generating the random seed.
  • dgs4dgs4 Member Posts: 66
    Hey Dave, I replied earlier in this thread that I love the nav system. It's worked perfectly for me thus far. I got my car back in April and have had no problems with it. However I do agree with you on the voice recognition. So far I've used it to play CD's, or change tracks and radio stations, but I can't get it to accept a full address for my life. I keep speaking the commands over and over and I get nothing. Using the touchscreen is extremely easy, and the fact I can use it while the car is in motion is a huge bonus. I can punch in an address in about 10 seconds, so being limited to the touchscreen isn't a huge problem.

But, I paid for voice recognition and it doesn't seem like I'm getting it to its fullest capability. I'm wondering if I need a new nav unit as well? I really don't want to take the time to drop my car off at the dealership and use a loaner car just for this issue, so I'll probably just deal with it since I have no other problems with the nav system. But it is frustrating, and you're not the only one with the issue!
  • dave868dave868 Member Posts: 64
    Mine doesnt work poorly... it doesnt work at all. I feel that the mic does not work.

I am bringing it in Tuesday
  • dgs4dgs4 Member Posts: 66
    Damn, here I have been posting on this thread how great the nav system is and that I haven't had any problems with it, and today the sucker froze on me! All I got was a screen that said Hyundai and then it stayed there, frozen. When I finally got to my destination I turned off the car, waited about 15 seconds and then restarted it. When the nav fired back up it was working again. But it looks like I'm going to need the nav update too. Not sure why it took this long for my system to act up, but I guess I'll have to bring it in this week to get it fixed.
  • vaterpvaterp Member Posts: 29
    Guys,

I'm just about to get a 09 sonata and i'm really undecided on the nav system. I am a fan of the class of the product (I have a tomtom window mounted to my current car). I have two concerns and I'd like the opinion of folks that have them:

1) How does it compare feature wise / speed / accuracy/ etc of the 3rd party ones. (If anyone has any experience specifically agianst the tomtom).

2) Do you think its worth the price, are you glad you got it? I know the 3rd party ones are much cheaper - is the integration worth it to you?

3) Since all the radio controls become 'owned' by the touch screen, and you actually lose your buttons is it distracting? I would assume when there is tactile feedback of buttons, you dont have to look, if it's a touchscreen you constantly have to look to change stations/etc... do you find that distracting and/or a safety feature?

Thanks - Brian
    I have used 3rd party portables. Navigon, nuvi, roadmate. I am a big fan of integrated systems. I feel thet are a lot more usefull. And I will say that the Sonatas's is far better than the one in my honda....and way cheaper. The $1200 for the nav in the sonata is well worth it. the enhanced ipod and mp3 control is great. My honda was $3k and cant even handle an ipod.

Speed is very good. screen resolution is excellent. DVD playback is kinda goofy, but still kind of cool.

Bottom line is that you can get a brand new v6 limited w/nav for $23k... how could you go wromg?

But thats just my opinion
    Thanks for the message, couple of questions if you don't mind:

1) I'm surprised to hear you say its better the honda (i've basically made my decision down to the accord and sonata). But when I was playing with the honda their NAV seemed alot more featureful: Granted I didn't really drive anywhere using either, just sat in them and played but things I noticed which I'd love your comments on:

1) The accord is a much bigger screen, of course its not touchscreen, but the wheel thing seems pretty easy to use also.

2) The accord seemed to be more featureful, with zagat ratings, big nice trip screen, and bluetooth integration are much nicer.

3) Granted, the audio on the sonata is nicer w/ the usb/ipod integration.... but for whatever reason my ipod wouldn't work in the model i tested it on (Dont know why, neither did the salesman) so i'm not sure how useful that would be anyway. I could use audio input jacks on both - which makes it equal. Finally, I think i'd be fairly addicted to xm anyway and not use either ;)

4) The accords just generally seemed more impressive, but maybe it was because i'm a technophile and all those buttons seemed 'fun' to me.

5) The sonata having all radio controls in the touchscreen if you get the nav, seems very distracting to me as tactile feedback of buttons would be needed to avoid taking your eyes of hte road.

Lastly, I was more interested in the v4 then the v6 for gas mileage reasons. If the v6 w/nav is going for 23K ... how much are the v4s?

I know going into this the sonata woudl be the better deal but I'd still be interested in your opinion on the above points.

Seems like you have both cars that i'm looking at so your opinion is greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch for the conversation!

brian
    You may have misunderstood me. I have a 2009 sonata and a 2007 honda odyssey, not an accord. I have not seen the accorrds nav. sorry if i confused you. I have not had an oportunity to really put the sonata nav to a real test. My opinion is based on how it looks and reacts. It's much faster that the one in my honda. As well as better looking. I

I have not had to depend on it yet to get me somewhere like i have with the honda... so my statements may not be totally fair.

I listen to XM 99.9% of the time so ipod integration is not super important to me. But I am a tech junkie, so the true integration with the ipod and even just a usb stick with mp3's on it was cool to me. As well as the DVD playback, Although the quality of the sound is not particularly great... but still decent. If you do want to use your ipod with the sonata get the hyundai cable. Seems to work more reliably than a regular usb cable.

I had intended to buy the 4 cyl sonata...unitl I drove it. I found the 4 cyl incredibly weak. Pretty much undrivable. If they offer a manual tranny in the limited, I might have considered it. Score one for the Accord, you can get a manual in the higher models. When I was shopping the 4 cyl was about $1K less than the V6. I doubt you would get much better mpg either as I found normal acceration require you to jut about floor it.

If money was no concern... i would go with the accord. As much as i like the sonata, i still feel the accord is a better car overall. Its better looking, still better quality for now, probably better resale... but still not worth the money.... an accord equivalent to my V6 limited with nav would be about $8K more than I paid.

I hope this helped... i know i kind of rambled.
    Hi there. Yes I did misunderstand you, I thought you had a current model accord. I think the current accord's nav is very different from a 2007 odyssey.

Regardless, I am thinking the accord is bit more polished of a car, but in looking at prices, I am also guessing it will be much more expensive, and I'm not sure its that much nicer. It's funny the honda dealer was giving me this speech about how good honda is doing over other car companies. I said they are having their worst qrtr in quite some time if not ever too. He tried to bs me on that one, but I think he was just setting me up that they dont have to deal like the other companies do. Fine with me if they don't want to deal --- there are plenty of good alternatives ;)

Anyway interesting point you made about the V6 not really having worse gas mileage. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for the discussion.

brian
    I am not going to say that the honda is not a better car. It is. And it looks better too. It's just not worth the money.

If you want to spend some more coin get an Acura TL or Infiniti G35. I have owned both and are wonderfull cars. I just can't afford that class of car since the twins were born. :)

However I would buy either of those before I bought the accord. A loaded Accord is very close in price to a TL.
    Small world, I currently own a G35, we are looking to replace my wife's saturn not my car. And we are not looking at that class of cars either because we have had a baby in the meantime too ;)

I am a little put off by the price of the accord, but we all agree about it being the better car. I suppose I could always look at non nav versions to save some money - I recognize its probably a waste of money, but I'm just an addimated technophile and I know I'll be dissapointed if I dont get one. I have a tomtom but the indash ones just seem so nice with the bigger displays. One thing I really dont like though is the nav dvd player in the trunk, just hanging there. Makes me worry if I actually try to load up the trunk I'm likely to bang that player and cause some damage.

I know the mature side of me is saying get an accord wo/ nav and you'll do just fine. The sonata's are just such good deals right now , fully loaded, its hard to walk away ;).

So offtopic, what g35 did you have, and why did you get rid of it? I bought the original 2003 model. Probably got screwed because the car had only been out a month when i bought it - but damn is it a fun drive. I have ~ 65K miles on mine (its about 6 yrs old now) and have no inclination to get rid of it anytime soon. Though I am dissapointed in my average gas mileage - but hey thats probably because i can't stop driving it to hard ;)

Cheers, -brian
    One more thing, its not just the cost to buy the car, all service and parts are more costly on the tl and g35 then they would be on the 'lower class'. Additionally they both want premium which makes them overall more expensive cars besides just purchase price :(. -- Another reason i'm staying away from that class.
    The G35 was the wife's. It was a 2004 bought in sept 03. We traded it for the 2007 Odyssey I mentioned earlier in Dec 06. We got rid of it for practical reasons. 3 Car seats just wont fit.

I only got my Sonata a month ago. I traded my 05 FX35 for it... again to save money and gas.

If you drive a G35 and drive it hard, dont even think about the 4cyl accord or sonata. Even the v6 will disappoint you. The g35 is an animal. I don't know of any v6 that has more punch that the nissan/infinti VQ. Yes its very thirsty for premium. I never got better than 15 mpg in my FX and 18 in the G.

If you are willing to lease there is a pretty good price on the G right now.

But the bottom line after all this... I bought an v6 soanata with nav... I dont think you could get more car for $23k.
    The last quote I just got from a hyundai dealer for a V4 w/ NAV was for ~ 24K, this with 0% financing. With 'regular' financing they would charge 1K less. I find that rather strange that one would charge two different rates. Kinda defeats the incentive for 0% financing no?

Anyway i havent really even started to negotiate with the guy yet, but are you talking OTD of 23K for your v6 w/ nav, or before taxes & fess, etc....
    BTW, what kind of gas mileage are you averging in your v5 sonata, and what kind of driving do you mostly do?

I think 23K OTD for a v6 w/ nav would be too good a deal to pass up when the accord dealer is quoting me OTD 28K for a v4 w/ nav.

I'm surprised in this market that they are even starting off that high. I know you gotta play the game, but i thought they'd start off much lower given we dont need to buy a car - and they are all getting crushed right now.

thx,
    brian
    0% financing is rarely worth it. However paying $1k more to get the 0% is worth it if you can get it for 5 years. 3 years would be close to break even.

I paid $23k for a V6 limited w/nav. plus sales tax.

I was being offered the 4 cyl with nav for $21.7k.

Yes the accord is nicer as in the G and TL.... but you just can't get more for the money the the Sonata.... which is why I have one.
    Miliage is a bit of a disappointment.... although much better the either of my 2 infiniti's.

I am getting just of 20 mpg. I drive about 70/30 city/hwy.

I don't think that Hyundai is starting that high...the sticker on my car was $28.6 he said $24k I paid $23k....Maybe i could have done a little better... but i am happy.
  • phb1phb1 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if any of you have the factory installed or dealer installed Bluetooth and does it work good? I am looking at purchasing a new Sonata shortly. Thanks for any info.
    I wanted to, but i found out that it is not really integrated to the head unit. It is self contained and replaces the sunglass holder.

There are better and cheaper aftermarket units.
    Be advised that the next incarnation of the Sonata Navigation System is supposed to have an integrated Bluetooth and XM-Traffic capability. I don't know if the 2009 Sonata's system will be able to be retrofitted though.

- Merg
    Here is a list of issues I've found with the Navigation System. Let me know if you have any additional issues. I'll call up the developer when we get a good complete list and see what can be done.

QWERTY Keyboard
    Initially Reported: 09/2008
    When setting the keyboard layout to be in QWERTY mode, the keyboard layout reverts to Alphabet mode after changing the System mode (switching components) or when turning the Nav System off and on. The default settings menu will still show the layout selection to be in QWERTY mode even though it displays the keyboard in Alphabet mode.

iPod Random Issue
    Initially Reported: 10/2008
    When selecting the iPod to play at Random, the feature is turned off if a different mode is selected, the audio system is turned off and on, or the Tuning dial on the radio is used to select a new song. The Random selection should be maintained during any of these changes.

Address Book Sorting Incorrect
    When sorting the Address Book alphabetically and not by date, new addresses are incorrectly sorted when added. New addresses are added to the end of an addressbook instead of alphabetically. To correct the issue, you have to go into the settings and reselect alphabetically.

System Hang
    Had an issue where the Hyundai logo stayed on screen and nothing could clear it. I tried to turning off and on the car and the same thing happened. I hit the Display button and the display settings screen came on. When I hit another button to try to get the iPod screen, I got a Windows pop-up on the screen that told me I had a fatal application error. I selected OK and the system rebooted and started working fine.

iPod Not Turning Off
    When turning off the car, my iPod is not turning off on its own. According to the developer it is supposed to. Also, I found that if I manually turn it off while leaving it connected, it sometimes turns back on a few minutes later even though the vehicle is off. I am unsure if somehow it is receiving power when the car door is opened or not, but something is triggering it to turn back on.

- Merg
    I would like the USB Random issue to be included in the list of problems with the Nav Ssytem. You can see the posts I put in this thread about it at post #49 and #53.
    Sorry. Meant to include it.

- Merg
    1. QWERTY Keyboard
    When setting the keyboard layout to be in QWERTY mode, the keyboard layout reverts to Alphabet mode after changing the System mode (switching components) or when turning the Nav System off and on. The default settings menu will still show the layout selection to be in QWERTY mode even though it displays the keyboard in Alphabet mode.

2. iPod Random Issue
    When selecting the iPod to play at Random, the feature is turned off if a different mode is selected, the audio system is turned off and on, or the Tuning dial on the radio is used to select a new song. The Random selection should be maintained during any of these changes.

3. Address Book Sorting Incorrect
    When sorting the Address Book alphabetically and not by date, new addresses are incorrectly sorted when added. New addresses are added to the end of an addressbook instead of alphabetically. To correct the issue, you have to go into the settings and reselect alphabetically.

4. System Hang
    Had an issue where the Hyundai logo stayed on screen and nothing could clear it. I tried to turning off and on the car and the same thing happened. I hit the Display button and the display settings screen came on. When I hit another button to try to get the iPod screen, I got a Windows pop-up on the screen that told me I had a fatal application error. I selected OK and the system rebooted and started working fine.

5. iPod Not Turning Off
    When turning off the car, my iPod is not turning off on its own. According to the developer it is supposed to. Also, I found that if I manually turn it off while leaving it connected, it sometimes turns back on a few minutes later even though the vehicle is off. I am unsure if somehow it is receiving power when the car door is opened or not, but something is triggering it to turn back on.

6. USB Device Random Issue
    Initially Reported: 10/27/2008
    When using a USB drive to play music files, the Random setting works as long as you do not change a song manually. As soon as you change the song using the steering wheel controls or the radio seek buttons, the Random setting turns itself off.

- Merg
    One more thing that might need to be added to the list is that I have noticed that when I change the volume via the steering wheel controls sometimes I have found that the volume graph (for lack of a better term) and volume level number comes up and is just blank black boxes. The horizontal bar graph and volume level number (i.e., "5") are not present. Ironically I notice this most around volume level 5 or 6 going up a notch and I am usually listening to USB or AUX. Can anyone else verify that they have seen this so it can be added to the list?
    Haven't noticed that, but I will see if I have the issue with my iPod connected. If it can be confirmed, I'll add it to the list.

- Merg
  • i360i360 Member Posts: 74
    Hey, a map update is finally available for our navigation systems (2009 Sonata).
    Although it asks for a device ID, whats that?

https://www.mapnsoft.com/search/search.asp
  • i360i360 Member Posts: 74
    Whats interesting is if you log into the XM radio website under your navigation "radio ID" it states that Nav Traffic is available for your radio. Perhaps this is coinciding with the new release of a North American map I posted above from M&Soft.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Supposedly there were plans to have XM Navtraffic on the 09 Sonata Nav system. This was to come at a later date.
    The update was taken down from their site. It's actually supposed to come out in January.
  • zippodudezippodude Member Posts: 3
    My NAV screen flickers when I first start the vehicle. It can also be slow to come to full screen power. It does not happen all the time. Outside temp does not make a difference. Is this normal?
  • zenobiazenobia Member Posts: 1
    Tonight, the nav system in my 2009 Sonata decided it would exhibit the issues noted elsewhere in this thread, namely the missing icons, corrupt start-up screen, etc. I know there's a post in this thread about the navigation TSB, and I swear I remember seeing it as well on the Hyundai service site (hmaservice.com). For the life of me, I cannot find that TSB listed on their site anymore.

Perhaps I'm just being blind, but I simply do not see it anywhere anymore. Does that mean it isn't valid anymore? Can I still expect to have the dealer apply the update to solve the problem, or will they also claim it does not exist and opt to do something else like try to replace the entire system?
    Hey guys, I have a new 09 v4 sonata w/ nav. I've got about 800 miles on the car right now and this morning I got hit with the nav freeze issue.

is there a known fix / upgrade or something that takes care of this? I tried turning the car on / off a couple times and it was always frozen - no nav functions at all, and just the hyundai logo stuck on the screen.

anyway, i have a service appt for tomorrow, is there something specific i should be asking for?

thanks -brian
    Hey guys, I restarted my car on the way home from work and the screen came up fine. For those of you that are familiar with this issue --- is there anything to fix yet, or does this just 'happen' sometimes? I dont want to drive all the way to the dealer tomorrow if there is nothing they are going to change.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, the little i've used the nav so far, it seems to make really really really poor choices re/ routing. I've got a 200$ dollar tomtom that seems to give far superior routing advice. Any of you guys agree? Are there any sw fixes that address this issue? I'm continually baffled at how terrible some of it's suggestions are.

Thanks -brian
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Your experience with the Tom Tom and the price differential are reasons I'd not consider NAV as an option on a car. Plus, your Tom Tom can be taken with you if you rent a car.

Personallly, I'd prefer a Garmin to a Tom Tom but that's just a matter for each person to determine.
  • kenlight1kenlight1 Member Posts: 22
    I had the same problem with my NAV system. The ICONs were lost but came back the next time I drove the car --- for one time. I than took it to the dealer who replaced the radio. I have a feeling that this is probably a hardware problem and not software. I would bet that a video chip either went bad because of overheating or partially popped out of it's socket. We will probably never know as I suspect the unit is sealed (and under warranty).

On your other point I do think the Gamin software is superior to the NAVs routing software. I do like the ability of adding POIs which is lacking this the built-in unit. I do miss having the red light camera file. On the other hand it was a real pain in the a%$ to keep hiding the removable unit in my last car.
    The map update will come out on 1.31.09. It will be on a DVD that updates the flash chip. The 09 Sonata uses a flash chip to store the maps. As usual www.mapnsoft.com will sell the update for $200.
    Any word on what this map update includes? Is it just road updates? Are there any additions to the map software with regards to feature enhancements or additions?
    Just updates to the maps and it may enable XM NavTraffic that has been rumored for this system. Software updates are done by the dealer. Another software update is rumored.
    Ok...one more question (I should have asked before) - Do map updates include POI updates or will those basically stay the same as the prior version?

Thanks!
    Yes it will update the POI's. All map updates do that. Thats the whole point in doing that. I could see another software update via a TSB.
  • nstuffnstuff Member Posts: 25
    M&Soft has just announced that they are accepting pre-orders for the updated maps.

Link: https://www.mapnsoft.com/news/content.asp?name=news&id=53

As is usual, their website is barely functional. I checked and the 2009 Sonata isn't even an option yet. Maybe soon, but right now, only the 2008 is available. Not only that, but they decided to forget that I had previously registered with them (and my ID worked yesterday). Hopefully they get their website problems figured out soon.

Anyone call them up yet to see what all is new in the update outside the typical new roads and POI content?
    I too am interested in knowing what the other enhancements might be. I got a mailer today in the mail stating that the update contains "Countless updates to POIs, updated road information, and more!" I wonder really what the "and more" part is. If anyone finds out the specs, please share...
    I posted a message on their forum/list on their website and here is the response I got:

During this new update there has been:
    approx. 200,000 additions to POIs

The "and more" could include:
    approx. 3,000,000 additions to addresses.
    approx. 130,000 additions to Telephone numbers
    Make sure you use the code PRE1 when ordering so you get an $80 if you order by 1.31.09.
    09 Sonata now uses 2X for it's SKU. Might want to go to their website and call their number to make sure you get the right one. Make sure you order it and use the code PRE1 since that gives you a 40 percent discount on it.
  • nstuffnstuff Member Posts: 25
    I called MapNSoft yesterday. I think the main confusion about what they are providing is that they are just releasing updated map information. So it is highly possible there literally is nothing more on the DVD than just updated POI's, locations, phone numbers, etc.

One piece of info he did give is that when you do order the dvd and you receive it. After updating the map software in the navi, you will be provided with a number that you will then need to call to MapNSoft and give them this number. They will then generate a code and give it to you to enter into the navi. Without this code, you will not be able to use the updated map section.
    I called as well to get more clarification and they told me that this update was just a road and information (address, POI, tel numbers) update. There are no different graphics or enhancements other than those included in the two areas I just listed. (according to them)
    Go to setup and press system info. That will show the device ID for map updates.
This discussion has been closed.