Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    It's very convenient when one can sleep like you've described. Somewhere in the back country, with all the bears, snakes, snow lions, and other hungry creatures, I wouldn't want to sleep in a tent.

By the way, Rollie, what do you put on the floor to make your sleep more comfortable?
  • goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    Thanks for posting your message about removing the lower part of the back seats. At 5'7", I don't have a problem sleeping in the back of my 4Runner when camping, but it'd sure be nice to have the storage room available when the seat is taken out like you mentioned. I wouldn't have thought about taking the seat bottom out...
  • delguydelguy Member Posts: 43
    I bought a v6 limited and had a question. The guy gave me 3 keys. One is a different color. Is that a Valet key or something?

Thanks in advance,
  • chortonchorton Member Posts: 149
    Yes the grey one is the valet key. It will not open anything but the doors and it will start the car.
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    Just as a point of clarification, the fact that it only opens the doors and starts the vehicle means the only thing it doesn't do is open the glove box if it's locked.
    Later on I opened the manual and page 1 said I should get 3 keys. Doh!
  • kb28kb28 Member Posts: 25
    I just noticed that TOY4 does not have tow hooks, front or rear, listed as standard or optional equipment. The tow hitch could be used at the rear, but nothing for the front; nor do I see any optional brush bar available. I did notice, though, on the TOY web site there are photographs showing several different brush bars. Does anyone know if tow hooks or brush bars are available; and, if so, where?
  • oneptbukoneptbuk Member Posts: 4
    Hey folks, just left the dealership (empty-handed) after driving a Sport and Ltd. Dealer tells me that JBL Synthesis 6disc 10 spkr and the electrochromic rear mirror are not even available on the Sport or SR5 models. However, these are both listed as options on the Toyota.com website. What gives?? Are these regionally offered only?? I guess I need educated on the way these vehicles are distributed.... Any thoughts on the availability of options?
    Thanks!!
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    All the 4Runner's I've looked at have tow hooks front and rear - one each, on the left front and left rear. They are not "hooks" but are loops instead.
  • rollie3rollie3 Member Posts: 13
    For sleeping in back of 4 runner as described in my earlier note, we use a 1.5 inch foam mat about 48 inches long.It is cut to fit between wheel wells which in the 03' is 42 inches wide which is about 4 inches more than G3. The mat lies on the floor up to the space created by the removed seats. On top of the "open" space packed with gear and soft bags is where we put pillows. Sleeping with head to the front gives considerably more shoulder room. Even through we have camped in the back many nights since my first 90' runner, I would suggest you know the person pretty well before trying this method. We find that 48 inch length on mat works fine to provide support to upper body. You don't need a mat for your legs. The mat is covered by blanket and left in place for our entire trip. Gear is placed on top. When sleeping the front seat takes all the camping gear including cooler---this makes us bear safe--I hope
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    The JBL Synthesis 6disc 10 spkr and the electrochromic rear mirror are options on the SR5 & Sport. It just depends on the region.

I have seen both options on both models.
    Those who have experienced the sound of both radios, is the original 6-speaker radio that much worse than 10-speaker JBL?
  • rokinkrokink Member Posts: 25
    Can someone tell me if the ball comes with the 4runner tow assembly? I got the bar that slips into the receiver, but no ball that mounts in the hole on the receiver.

THX
    With the colored-matched cladding becoming standard, does this mean ALL the colors are affected, like the red & green?

This would be interesting to see.
  • chris_in_boisechris_in_boise Member Posts: 18
    The 10-speaker setup is awful. Most of the sound comes out of the front CENTER speaker. I disconnected it in my 4Runner.

I haven't heard the 6-speaker system, but I wish I had one instead of the 10-speakers.
    The ball didn't come w/ my limited which is correct. Though I've also noticed that I'm short the silly first aid kit in the conv package. Or is it hidden is some too clever place I wonder. If I don't find it, I'll call the salesguy and see if he can mail me one. There is still the questionaire to consider.
    I disagree. I love the 10 speaker setup. Best sounding stereo of the class IMO.
  • morrymorry Member Posts: 24
    Can someone please tell me how to set the door locks to open when shifted into park?

Thanks,
    Morry
    I got no tow ball with my trailer kit. I believe different trailers may take different sizes of ball, so you'll probably need to get the ball that fits your trailering needs.

I'm pretty impressed with the 10 speaker sound system. Try turning the 'surround' on or off, it can make a big difference in how it sounds. Most of the time I leave it off, but some stuff sounds better with it on.

Many things listed as options aren't commonly available in certain regions. Dealers get vehicles equipped with standard sets of options, if the options you want aren't in a given set of options available in your region on a given trim level, you may have to special order (4 to 6 months) or look out of region, or consider getting a Limited, depending on your criteria. Regional differences tend to be small, from what I've seen. They're probably available, but only if you go one of the routes described above.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    I am considering either an SR5 of the SPORT but don't know enough about the X-REAS suspension on the sport model. Does it really improve the ride ? I have not driven the new model yet but can state with confidence that the previous model's suspension left a lot to be desired esp. the ride on highway was very bumpy. But now, the reviews on 2003 say the ride is drastically improved. So has anyone compared the ride of X-REAS v/s standard SR5 suspension ?
    The first 4Runner I test drove was an SR5. I now own a Limited with X-REAS. Admittedly, my test drive with the SR5 was pretty short. I didn't notice much difference in the ride itself. I believe the X-REAS will be more noticible when going around curves rather than just a straight-line ride. I believe you'll see less body roll through the twisties with the X-REAS, but the ride itself probably won't be affected too much. I've taken my 4Runner on some twisty roads and it seems almost sporty. My other vehicle is a 1998 A4, which is sporty.

For me, it was something I wanted for a sportier feel. But if all you're concerned about is how nice it is on the straight highway, my impression is it won't make a lot of difference. My advice would be to test drive one with the X-REAS and one without, and see if it's worth it to you.

Overall, I think the ride is much improved with this generation of 4Runner over the last. It's probably more that than the X-REAS itself. Test drives are probably your best bet.
  • jtjackson33jtjackson33 Member Posts: 17
    Just purchased a 1990 black 4Runner from a friend. The running boards are rusted along the edges. The are the type of running board with the plastic cladding on the top.

I understand that there may be a few different options for running boards in terms of type. Any recommendations? Is it recommended to get this same type or chrome or other. Any particular other manufacturer have a good alternative or is it best to stick with genuine toyota parts when it comes to these running boards. Also, are the old ones easily removed and replaced or is it necessary to get a shop to do it. Thanks for any suggestions.
    It limits body leaning, which makes the vehicle more stable. I doubt it contributes to the actual quality of the ride. There's some sort of a fluid in the middle of the vehicle, and it flows to either left side or right side shocks, depending which way you turn, and that's how X-REAS makes it easier to take corners for those of us who like to push it
  • tfuzztfuzz Member Posts: 93
    The tow ball (2") DID come with my limited. As I recall the tow ball, a bushing (to make the ball shaft fit the larger hole in the bar), a lock washer, and the nut came in a separate package--it was not already attached to the bar. I had to go to an RV dealer to buy a new bar, though, because I needed a drop for my pop-up trailer. By the way, I finally got a chance to take my trailer on a 200 mile trip last week. The Runner tows beautifully. The rear air suspension levels it perfectly!

I find the 10 speaker system to be pretty good, but only with the "surround sound" off. I also have to tweak the audio settings a little to get it to my liking. Personally, I can't find any use for the surround mode. I would much rather they had left that feature (and several others, like RDS and TEXT) off but given me a jack to plug in my XM Satellite receiver instead. I don't want XM built in because I prefer to have a receiver I can move between the house and the car.
  • kb28kb28 Member Posts: 25
    I guess it probably does depend on what area of the country you live in to be able to get certain options. I've ordered a Sport here in LA with the JBL 10 speaker setup and the E mirror. There was never any representation by the dealer it was not available. If you go to the TOY web site and put in Zip Codes for various areas of the country when building your own, you will notice a drastic difference in options available, particularly as you move West.

I asked above about the availability of Brush bars for the 03 TOY4. Does anyone know?
  • mendota99mendota99 Member Posts: 18
    I'm wondering what gas mileage people are really getting with a 2WD 6 cylinder 4runner 2003? Thanks for the answers!
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I have to plead ignorance on the color issue. I would assume that having the appearance package as standard would affect all colors but I have learned assumptions can be wrong.
    I am not aware that Toyota is including trailer balls with the ball mount kit. I know some of you may have it, but I don't believe this is normal or standard. Most trailers use a 2" ball but that is far from being standard. If Toyota gave you a 2" ball and you needed a smaller size for your jet ski, I can imagine a big liability issue.
    Thanks cliffy. I guess we'll have to just wait and see.

kb28 - Check the JAOS website. They are putting out some nice new accessories for the new runner very soon.

They have a photo of a new Brush Bar & A Bar on a '03 runner on their site.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    I have an 03 Sport V8 with the 10-speaker stereo.

I find the 10-speaker system OK. I do use the Surround-ON some of the times. Most times it is off. I fade the sound toward the rear. It does reduce the sound coming from the front center speaker.

I find the X-REAS does help when cornering. I also had other 4-runners(91, 94, 01) and to corner, you had to sloooooooow down. I did notice a huge difference between the ride(straight-line) in the '94 and the '01. There is not much difference in the ride between the 01 and the 03.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    Cliffy
    When I was in my local Toyota dealer recently(4/24), I noticed he had a Tundra with a V6 and a 5-Speed transmission. It was also equipped with shift-on-the-fly 4-wheel drive.

To your knowledge, is this setup(V6/5-Speed/4-Wheel) to be made available to other trucks, such as the 4-Runner in the future?

Thanks muchly....
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I have a '90 with the chrome running boards that have the plastic step pads on top. After 13 years and no special care, they are not rusted at all, so maybe they are a good option.

OTOH, I am sure (because I have seen other people mention) that there are lots of aftermarket applications you could use just as well, and I am sure Toyota will charge you an arm and a leg for theirs.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kings_in_7kings_in_7 Member Posts: 10
    I still havent gotten used to it and am not sure why Toyota did this. Does anyone know whether the cladding can be painted to match? I original goal was absolute low price (and I still think its a great SUV for the money) but would be willing to cough up the $$$ at some point if possible. Does the appearance package have painting cladding or just no cladding? Thanks.
  • runnerfanrunnerfan Member Posts: 7
    I live in Montreal and I own a black 4Runner 2003 Limited V8 with 8K miles (with everything except NAV). Anyone know if I can sell it in the US? any idea how much I could get for it? Thanks...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anything is possible :-)

Lots of gotchas with buying a gray market car:

steve_ "Honda CR-V" Feb 16, 2003 12:22am

If I were you, I'd go the eBay route and make the buyer deal with taking it south.

Steve, Host
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    Kings_in_7, you might search past postings here for more information. It appears that the plastic cladding can be painted, but needs some special preparation first, because of a coating it has. Some shops will guarantee the paint job for a period of time, while others won't.

I've seen estimates of $1000-1500 to do the job, which presumably includes disassembly, acquisition of new mounting clips, and reinstallation. The "cladding" actually includes overfenders, bumpers, license plate trim, and the actual cladding (the stuff on the lower part of the doors). Quite a few pieces.

Some had called the gray plastic cladding a PIO (port installed option), and suggested that it might not be big deal to install. As far as I know, it's all done at the factory, and so changing it all out (painting the faceted gray stuff you already have or painting new smooth parts) would be a pretty significant operation.

As for why Toyota did it, I think they just zigged when the market zagged. Public taste for contrasting cladding (especially where the texture is flat and utilitarian) as a styling statement has been on the wane. Also, I think the plastic cladding was an effort to differentiate between the limited and the other versions.
  • mitchinpamitchinpa Member Posts: 40
    Has anyone experienced this problem? The protective coating on my 2000 SR5 roof rack is coming off. The color underneath this coating is black, so it isn't too noticeable, but it is quite annoying to look at (to me at least). Is this normal? Would it be covered by my extended warranty? Thanks in advance for replies!!!
  • shadowboxshadowbox Member Posts: 22
    Is navigation available on 4runner? One dealer told me it wouldn't be available unti '04 models. True?
    Corancher, thanks for the informative response. Mine matches my color fairly well so I'll skip the 1500. Tell me this though, is the appearance package (roughly $350) all that was needed to avoid it? Thanks.
  • kstittkstitt Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2003 4Runner Limited with Nav. I wasn't able to find Nav on the SR5 or Sport models. I am very happy with the Nav as well as with the Runner
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    The instructions for changing your door locks is in your manual, section 1-2 or 1-3, I forgot which.

To do the specific task of making your door locks unlock when you put it back into park, you need to do the following.

Make sure you car is completely off, with all doors closed.
    Turn your key to the ON position (do not start your car).
    Within 10 sec. of doing that,
    hold down the rear of the door locks button for 5 sec. and release.
    If it works your locks will lock and unlock to let you know.
    If it doesn't work, try again, I did this two days ago and it worked fine.

-Jared
    Mendota,

My computer says 19.1 mpg but I'm calculating it as 18.0, which is a little disturbing considering I'm driving mostly highway. 2WD/4.0 L

Anyone notice a difference in 87 vs. 89 vs. 91 octane?
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    So I drove to Carson, from San Diego, (1hr45min) on friday to pick up my 4runner, here are my impressions for those potential buyers out there who are reviewing this discussion. First off, the folks at Carson Toyota were fantastic, not only with my build order (which came exactly how I ordered it), but also with the paperwork/financing fiasco that is usually much more difficult than it has to be.

As far as the truck is concerned, I had a 1hr45min drive back to San Diego to examine it. Here are MY thoughts:

1. Drive is wonderfully stable, both over bumps and cornering at speed. There is not floaty bouncyness when going over big bumps like my old SUV and many SUV's that I test drove. I like the stiffer suspension (and it's not so stiff that you feel every little bump) because it just feels like you are locked to the ground.
    2. I think it's absolutely quiet, no road noise, no engine noise, and very very little wind noise, but none from the hood-scoop like others have posted.
    3. The V-6 power is very acceptable, and I really had a hard time keeping it under 70mph on the way home (it was suggested by the dealer as a good speed for breaking it in), so I averaged probably 75.
    4. The fit and finish of the interior is great. Yes there is plastic, but I personally like what they did. The audio controls on the steering wheel are wonderful, and despite what some have said, the AC controls are extremely user friendly and simple. Also, the seats and steering wheel were really easy to find a comfortable seating position, and I never slid around in the seats when cornering.
    5. The stock stereo is great for a factory unit, it's not as good as my $3000 aftermarket stereo on my last SUV, but I have no plans on changing it unless it somehow get's worse.
    6. My one complaint is that the AC/trip-computer/outside-temp display is hard to see when the sun is shining on it, but hey, that's life.
    7. My overall impression so far (130miles) is that it is the best decision I've ever made, hands down. The ride is beautiful, the environment is comfortable and quiet, and the truck itself just seems very well thought out and built. Great features.

OH, and as you can tell I'm in California, and even with driving with the back window open for a bit, I smelled no sulfur smell. So all's good.

Thanks to everyone for all the help while I was waiting on my order!

-Jared
    The Tundra you saw was a step backwards and one that will be phased out. The Tundra is an old style part time 4WD system. The Runner V6 is technically also part time because you can select 2 or 4WD. The difference though, is that with the Runner, you can use 4WD on dry pavement and it is essentially an AWD.

There are no plans I have heard of to bring out a manual transmission. Emission regulations have brought an end to the hand shakers.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    If your body color matches your cladding ok, I'm betting you have the "Galactic Gray" exterior. That's been the only color that I've seriously thought about buying if I had to go with the cladding, because of the cladding contrast with the other body colors. And I shouldn't leave this discussion without mentioning that the cladding could be very functional (as other posters have noted) in terms of parking lot damage and scratches from passing brush when off-road. I don't hate the cladding myself--I've just been hoping to avoid it or wait out the sale of the existing stock that has it.

At first, the appearance package (AP) option was indeed all you needed to have to get the body color trim instead of the gray cladding. Same look as the limited models, except the limiteds have gray (instead of black) roof racks and running boards (with lights in the ends of the running boards).

Recently (4/15) things changed again. See post #5726 for explanation, and my post #5735 and others. Seems like Toyota has implemented what amounts to a price decrease in several ways on the V6 SR5s and sports, and somewhat less of a price decrease on the V8s.

This might not be, I suppose, the last action on this matter. I suspect Toyota would like to maintain more of an appearance difference between the SR5/Sport models and the limiteds. Any speculators out there?
    Thanks for the info, and the posts you mentioned helped explain it . Bottom line, I could avoided my only gripe with my SR5 by paying a $350 fee (or roughly 1% of purchase price). Or, it sounds like I missed what I want by about a month's time. Are those posts saying cladding will be gone altogether soon? Hint to future buyers - DO YOUR RESEARCH, DON'T LISTEN TO SALESMEN. They're just lucky its such a solid vehicle otherwise. Thanks corancher. Dead on with the Galactic Gray call.
    jaredmsd, when describing his new 4Runner, said he could smell no sulfur, but he's got a V6. It's my understanding, that only folks with V8s have this problem. Am I correct?
    Well, I just tried the procedure to set the option to unlock on shifting into park. The first few times it didn't work, even though I followed the directions in the owners manual.

Turns out just turning the vehicle off doesn't work, you actually have to take the key out and put it back in and turn the ignition to on, then hold down the power lock button. Maybe someone else can avoid my problem in the future. Take the key out first, then put it back in!
    I don't recall anyone with the V6 complaining about the sulfur smell. I think they've all been V8's. Seems like most V8's don't have the problem, or only a mild sulfur smell, but a few have the bad smell.

I believe the emissions systems are fairly different between the V6 and V8.
  • mrshenry2002mrshenry2002 Member Posts: 15
    The computer is calculating 19 to 19.5...my manual calculations have been 18 to 18.5

After almost 5,000 miles I had yet to notice any sulphur smell on my v6 until my son did a couple of days ago while hanging on to the luggage rack /standing on the running board. He said " Mom what was that smell comming from your truck" ? I asked when ? His response was when I turned the engine off. I had only moved it approx 10ft. I immediately smelled the tail pipe and smelled nothing ! Maybe just a coincidence ???