Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave Power Steering Noise

Comments

• yogurtberryyogurtberry Member Posts: 1
    I just brought my 2009 Buick Enclave back to Keys Chevrolet in Van Nuys with more steering issues. I could feel a slight clunking when I turned the wheel. My car now has 54,900 miles on it and I'm told the gear bushings are worn and it's $547.00 to replace those. Then I was told that the steering gear is starting to seep and will need to be replaced shortly for $1290.00. Just 11 months ago I had the steering stub shaft housing, inlet hose, and front frame bolts replaced because of similar steering issues. The steering has always given me problems since I bought the car and now it's no longer covered by the warranty even though it's never worked properly. I owned a Nissan before this and didn't have any issues at all (I sold it with 95,000 miles on it and never needed to replace anything). I had heard that since 2008 GM was building better cars now that didn't have the quality issues like before so I decided to support an American company and buy one... big mistake! I've already had the door frame appliques replaced because of awful quality (bubbling and peeling) and now the appliques by the windows have faded and are stained. The first few months I bought the car everything was perfect. I raved about it to all my friends and gave high recommendations. Now with the service I've received from Keys Chevrolet and realizing the quality of the Enclave, I'll never recommend GM to anybody. I absolutely love this car but the warranty problems never get fixed correctly and then you're stuck paying a fortune fixing the same problems when the warranty runs out ... not to mention the time spent on all of this. If a car company has bugs with a newer model they should cover those mistakes under warranty to show the customer they are fixing the issues to retain business and at least have a good warranty and service reputation.(this will keep your customers buying GM) After reading these forums and others online I've found that the steering issues are quite common with the Enclaves. I brought my car in last summer for an AC issue but was told they couldn't find a problem ... I'm really looking forward to this summer when that becomes an issue again! I'm sure I have many more issues I'll have to deal with in the future. As these issues arise, I'll keep posting messages to let the public know about GM's Service Centers and how they respond to warranty issues and issues that should have been covered. I'm also going to be consulting a lemon law attorney shortly and I'll be sure to let the public know all the steps needed to get your money back from purchasing a GM Lemon.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    yogurtberry,

Have you already been in contact with the Buick Customer Assistance Center (800-521-7300) about this? If not, and if you would prefer to correspond via email, we can be reached at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • fltybckfltybck Member Posts: 2
    Well I guess I'm joining this discussion as I'm extremely unhappy with the turnout of my 2008 Buick Enclave. As posted by MANY others I too have the oil leak, awful power steering noise and also AC cooling issues. The Buick goes in Tomorrow for Diagnostics/estimate again and this will gauge where I go with this vehicle and GM in general/future.

GM help us, the consumer!
  • llee1968llee1968 Member Posts: 2
    For all those that post in here and are contacted by GM Social - know that they are not here to help. They are only commenting on here for appearance purposes. Once they private message you, their "help" ends. I have a 2008 Enclave and have had power steering noise for at least the last 25k miles and it has gotten worse and I posted on here and was contacted by Stacy of GM Social and she advised me to take to my dealer for diagnostic. I did and in speaking with the service manager at my dealership, I was told the gear housing and gear bushings as well as strut mounts need to be replaced. Over $1100.00 the repairs would be. He said there was a LOT of noise coming from my car and expressed great dismay, that on a $50k vehicle one would have to put up with this with no help from GM. He said this is a very poor design and he has never seen GM step up and offer a fix or assistance of all those he had seen come in. I was also told the strut mounts are something that one never should have to replace unless you are in an accident, which of course I was not. I am very disappointed in GM. This is not the customer service I expected from a large company that promotes customer service as being quality. I will make it my goal to let EVERYONE I come in contact know about GM and to be warned to NOT purchase a GM vehicle. I had been advised before hand not to purchase one but thought I would give them the benefit of the doubt and had been very pleased with my Enclave until the noises ensued. To now not receive assitance from GM on a flawed design that they are aware of is completely unacceptable. I know it is Caveat Emptor, but I will help with that all I can!!
    We hope that your visit to the dealership tomorrow results in an accurate diagnosis, fltybck. Keep us updated, and if you would like for us to check into anything, please contact us via email at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• fltybckfltybck Member Posts: 2
    I hear you and afraid of not receiving the help we should as the consumer and doing our part in supporting GM...as I said tomorrow's diagnostic and what my GM service will do will guide me in the direction of my next vehicle purchase, which may be sooner than anticipated.
  • skonitzerskonitzer Member Posts: 1
    I am the original owner of a 2009 Buick Enclave with 70,000 miles. Over the past few months I have been experiencing the same power steering and strut problems described in this forum. Steering makes whining noise and the struts creak especially in cold weather. (Also had the bubbling applique issue) I had no idea this problem was widespread until today. Something made me decide to do a google search on the power steering issue today. The scary thing, this weekend I bought a new 2013 model with a sticker of $53K and I pick it up tomorrow. I am borderline freaking out after reading 17 pages of posts from people with the same issues that I have. I would like to know if GM has made any design changes to fix the steering, strut, and applique problems. If so, starting what model year?
  • tstoytstoy Member Posts: 1
    I LOVE my Buick Enclave but I'm starting to feel like I'm in a BAD relationship. "Our" problems started awhile back, I can't even remember at this point in time. I've been through the steering issues that everyone complains of. I've had EVERYTHING related to the steering replaced and it has FINALLY resolved the "oh shoot, i can't turn" issue... it took a good 18 months and about $2700 or so to FINALLY resolve. I've had many problems which have been able to be fixed, but at a cost. My latest visit that finally fixed the steering also turned up that the coolant system needed to be replaced. No sooner do I drive out of the dealership (just this past Saturday) that my transmission is COMPLETELY messed up. Around 2800 - 3000 RPMs it knocks down into what feels like first gear. I called my dealership and my service manager is GREAT (with so much time spent with him with so many repairs, thank goodness) about the NEW problem with the transmission. Over the phone he says it's hard to diagnose but he's guessing it's an internal transmission issue which can cost anywhere between $2,000 and $4,000!!! I literally just passed the 100,000 mile mark 2 weeks ago and it seems that the car is falling apart. I've put about as much money as I can into fixing this vehicle that wasn't a cheap car. I fully expected it to last much longer than 90,000 miles and 4.5 years. Completely disappointed. I already boycott Ford due to a terrible 2000 Ford Focus debacle. Here's hoping I don't have to add Buick to that list now too.
    tstoy,
    Let us know if you would like for us to check into this situation further with you. We can be reached at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • bobs124bobs124 Member Posts: 4
    I too have a problem with my 2010 Buick enclave. 72,000 mile and the rack and pinion needs to be replaced as well as control arm. In all it cost me more than 1500.00 dollars. The dealership did help out by lowering their parts cost by $100.00. They told me they contacted GM to help out on the parts cost but GM refused. This comes on top of replacing both front struts 6 months ago.
    I wish I had room in this blog to tell y'all about my experience with my 2008 Acadia that I ordered new but like I said "no room" My file was more than an inch thick and the car was in the shop once a month, for 2 years, to fix issues. After I had enough I contacted GM and they told me they were going to do nothing because it was 2 years old and I should have contacted them sooner. I just thought each time it was fixed for good.
    So I traded it in for a new Buick Enclave CLX. Was great tell 6 months ago. I bought it with a warranty till 62,000 miles. I suppose I should have bought a longer warranty!
    I will be contacting GM and let everyone know what happens.
    :(
  • father4girlsfather4girls Member Posts: 2
    I am a very happy owner of a 2009 Buick Enclave with 43k miles and it is currently in the shop for a transmission problem that is supposed to be corrected by reprogramming (I think) but the car will lose 2 mpg as a result. While test driving, the dealer noticed the steering issue and advised. Luckily this all under warranty. I am a believer that the car is only as good as the service you receive from the dealership. I have had many new cars over the last 20 years (BMW, Lexus, Infiniti) and all had some kind of problem. I must say, the dealership I use to service my Buick (bought from as well) is spectacular. They communicate well and provided me with a loaner car equivalent to my car (I have 4 kids and newborn twins). Not only would I buy another Buick, I will always use this dealership. I suggest that the next time you buy a Buick or any car, meet with the service manager first and get some history on the mechanics. I left Lexus because the dealership near me seemed to have lost all of the senior techs and the kids they hired were nice, but nearly as knowledgeable and seemed to always refer to some book.
    Hi father4girls! Happy to hear that we are able to make things a little easier for you:-)! With 4 girls you certainly have your hands full. Thank You!

Sincerely,

Crystal L. - GM Customer Care
  • jacksparrow2jacksparrow2 Member Posts: 17
    I guess in the USA dealers are more conciencous towards customers than here in Canada. I was even told by one dealer that Buicks were not covered under GM T.S.B.'s. Every now and then I must kick the drivers door to get my heated seat to work, sometimes it is the radio display that does not work (Navigation radio at that) along with other electrical problems, and there are times when I leave the car and the electricals keep on working. I was given the TSB number here by a certified GM Tech, and was told off, because I am not supposed to have official GM documents.
  • elsiefelsief Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Buick Enclave with about 63,000 miles on it. I was having the same type of steering issues...almost impossible to make a u-turn, very difficult to turn when backing out of tight spaces. I took my car to the dealership about two weeks ago...they replaced the steering rack and gear. We are still having the exact same problems. Thank goodness I purchased the extended warranty! I took it back in today for them to attempt to diagnose the problem. Hope that it is a quick fix as they had my car for two days the last time it was in.
  • grnmamagrnmama Member Posts: 1
    We really have enjoyed our 2008 Buick Enclave, so much that we recently bought a LaCrosse, inspite of multiple issues with the Enclave; 2 GPS replacements, one sunroof leak, water pump replacement (all recalls), as well as multiple trim installation problems which were merely glued back in place by service. But following our latest purchase we discovered the Enclave needed a new rack and pinion because the OEM part was failing at 59,000miles. We had the work done outside of the dealership, as we are a long distance from the dealer and expected to pay out of pocket, only to find out this is a known premature failure for this vehicle make and model. Wish we knew this was coming prior to committing to another Buick. Would love to hear from a Buick representative as the service department at the dealership will not return my call.
  • mike_60mike_60 Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 enclave with 32000 miles had the power steering whine since new. It was getting louder. I had brought it to the dealer (All Star Buick GMC Sulphur, LA). They fixed the noise but then it leaked fluid. So I brought it backed. It still leaked but not as bad. I brought it back and am now waiting for repairs. This is sad because it is nice on road trips. On long trips the third row seat is big enough for adults. The dealer has been good to me but this issue is with the design and there should have been a recall. I didn't know how wide spread the problem was until I researched it. At least it is still under warranty.
    Hi grnmama,

I can understand your frustration. I would love to look into this for you. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and approximate mileage on your vehicle please? My email is [email protected] "Attn Crystal" in the subject line:-)

Sincerely,
    Crystal L. GM Customer Care
  • katbuickkatbuick Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2013
    I too feel like I had to replace my power steeing pump and all parts associated with the power steering WAY too soon. My car has 72K miles on it. I also have to mention to that i had to get my water pump replaced at 40k miles (GEESH!). Thank GOD that was under warranty. I get my car maintenance done at the dealership on a regular basis. I called Buick customer service and there was no assistance for me because of the mileage on my car :cry: I can say that I have owned non American cars before this and I didnt start having these kinds of major issues with those cars until i was well over 100k miles. Is this a GM quality issue? It makes me wonder after seeing so many posts about the same thing.....I will have to consider going back to non American brands after this experience with a Buick :cry:
  • mgmd11mgmd11 Member Posts: 4
    So my 2009 Buick Enclave has 75,000 miles on it and here are all the things that have failed and been replaced the last 18 months.
    - Transmission (warranty)
    - Power steering pump and rack & pinion (out of warranty)
    - Ignition coil - first time (out of warranty)
    - Ignition computer and all the coils - second time (out of warranty but dealer got it covered)
    - Front sway bar broke (out of warranty but dealer got it covered since this should never happen)

My dealer service rep has been great in getting things covered since I have been in so many times to get things fixed. However, my loyalty to Buick will end soon as we will switch to another non-GM SUV.
  • tmrrjmdtmrrjmd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Buick Enclave that I purchased brand new. I noticed that there was loud squeaking and rubbing noises when I turned the steering wheel. I mentioned this several times to the purchasing dealer. They looked at it and said that the put grease or something in the steering column and that there was something that was set to be recalled about the steering column but wasn't yet with the Enclave. The sound went away and came and I tried not to be too annoyed by it. Then after issues with the purchasing dealer, I switched all my service to another dealer who has been fantastic. I told them about the squeaking in the steering and they told me there was a fix of changing out the steering fluid with transmission fluid - a fix suggested by GM. I agreed when they assured me it didn't affect the parts or the warranty. Now that I have 56k mile on it - I went out to my car this morning and there was a puddle of fluid under the front right light. I called the dealer, took the car in, and was informed that I need a new steering geer assembly. Is this normal? I've never had to replace this on a car before and I've had a Buick and other cars with well over 120-150k miles. I've already had to replace the tires before 40k miles, I've had the stickers on the door jambs wrinkle up and had to replace them numerous times. I've had a whistle in the front door. The doors were "adjusted and realigned"by the first dealer to supposedly give me a better seal and cut out wind noise but his solution to prove the wind noise was gone was pull behind a semi and then say how quiet it is. I am plagued by the front seat sensor that reacts to phones that GM has no fix for - except tell the consumer not to put their phone or other electronics on the seat. This just seems to be another thing in a long list of issues with this car. I just want to know if its normal that this part needs to be replaced - even with me having oil changes every 3-4k miles and tire rotations every other oil change? I am very regular with maintenance on my car and have all but one oil change at the dealer but to find out that this costly repair is now going to happen on a relatively new car under 60k miles is just not sitting well with me and is quite frustrating to me. I'm wondering if its even safe to keep driving the car for fear that the part old really go before the replacement part comes in.
  • twt2twt2 Member Posts: 6
    I have the same problems and more. At 75k, after loving the vehicle, I had to replace the same gear in the steering. Still I have an annoying rubbing sound that you describe well. My appliqué or side stickers have too bubbled up like many others so I've read. In addition since October I've had the AC condenser and evaporator go out , two transmission issues and oil pan leak plus an airbag sensor go bad. Just this week, spent another grand on another sensor that went out, gas tank pressure thing plus one of the cylinders wasn't firing correctly causing my AC to spontaneously cut off. This enclave has become one huge disappointment now. At this price his vehicle should not have this many problems. It's a heap of junk. Buick lost me as a future customer . They should be embarrassed at how poor the reliability is.
  • edenclaveedenclave Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2008 Enclave. Today at 59000 I had to get the power steering replaced along with power steering pinion and seal. My water pump also was replaced as apparently it was leaking. There is a loud clunk when the car is cold and I start driving. They could not find the noise, of course. I also had to replace all four rotors and brake pads. Nothing is covered and it seems by the posts here this is a known problem, as far as the steering is concerned. This is my third and last GM. I had a Jimmy, then Yukon, and now the Enclave. I can not support a company that does not stand behind their product when they know it is broken and needs fixing. I am very sorry my in-laws traded in their Lexus for an Enclave after riding in ours. I can only say sorry for leading them down the GM path. I forgot to mention at 2 years the entire exhaust system rusted all the way through and had to be replaced. I can not believe I payed this much for this vehicle and then with my tax dollars and now repairs. GM you should have been allowed to DIE!
    There is a recall related to the water pump . Just got something im the mail and had it fixed
  • father4girlsfather4girls Member Posts: 2
    What about the transmission? I brought my 2009 enclave in one month ago due to the transmission skipping, hesitating, rumbling whatever. They said it was a software glitch and that I would lose gas mileage. Well, irbid still skipping etc... And now it is worse! The good news is my 4 years are up in two weeks and I got to the dealer next week. I guess keep your fingers crossed! Gm are cars you should lease, not own!
    Hello katbuick,

I am sorry to hear of the issues you have had with your Enclave. I can understand your frustration with the ordeal you have described. I would be happy to research this issue for you. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and approximate mileage on your vehicle please? My email address is [email protected] please place "Attn Crystal" in the subject header. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest Regards,
    Crystal L-GM Customer Care
    Hello katbuick,

I am sorry to hear of the issues you have had with your Enclave. I can understand your frustration with the ordeal you have described. I would be happy to research this issue for you. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and approximate mileage on your vehicle please? My email address is [email protected] please place "Attn Crystal" in the subject header. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest Regards,
    Crystal L-GM Customer Care
  • unhappyenclaveunhappyenclave Member Posts: 1
    It seems that we all are having the same problems with replacing the water pump and power steering pump -- for us it was all below 58,000 miles on our 2010 Enclave. Recalls are investigated/enforced by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. BUT, these issues will only bubble up to be investigated by the NHTSA if you go to their website and file a complaint: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ This is easy, and only takes a couple of minutes with their online form. It is ridiculous that GM can't build a reliable vehicle, so let's all get together and force GM to have to stand behind their shoddy products. One complaint won't be investigated, but if there are a lot of us that file the complaint, then the feds will look into this for us.
  • dcramsaydcramsay Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2009 Enclave.... I have had various issues including power steering rack replacment,etc. Luckily I had purchased an extended warranty... as I have had a number of issues... Now that the vehicle is out of warranty, my power steering pump is failing. 97,000 miles.... I have been told that the repairs are over $800.... I will be filing a notice with the NHTSA: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq . It seems this is a safety issue not being addressed by GM with a recall...
    edited May 2013
    dcramsay,

Sorry to hear that you've experienced so many issues with your Enclave. Have you spoken to anyone in GM Customer Service about your vehicle repairs?

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • kalidramadankalidramadan Member Posts: 1
    I made an offer to purchase 2008 enclave,, but after reading this, i am not quite sure what to do. especially i am paying $21,000 for the vehicle and have been a GM customer for 12 years..

may be i need to change my mind, unless if someone from GM customer service can call me at give me some kind of warranty.
    Since I made my last post just a couple of weeks ago, my Enclave has been in the shop yet AGAIN to have all of the fuel injectors replaced. Luckily, this was covered by the drive train warranty. This vehicle has so many flaws once it hits a certain mileage. Since October I have spent $4500 on repairs and that doesn't include the thousands of work done on the drive train covered by warrant.. not to mention my time. How GM can stay behind this product confounds me. They should be ashamed of themselves. My friend who drives a 2008 Enclave and who encouragd to buy one, just redid his transmission.
    Compare this to my Lexus which has 110k miles and not once in the shop.
  • katbuickkatbuick Member Posts: 3
    Thanks unhappyenclave for this information. I submitted my safety complaint today! I also added a complaint about my power liftgate that just drops on you if you are parked on a slope.
  • amarquezamarquez Member Posts: 1
    Can you please let me know how you fixed the problem if you fixed it at all?
    email me at
    [email protected]

thank you
    alex
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Emails may get you personal help but not help others. Please don't ask for "personal" help via email. We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum. Thanks.
  • rachael_9667rachael_9667 Member Posts: 2
    While I love my 2008 Buick Enclave AWD, paying $1800 for a repair to the power steering pump PLUS the rack & pinion is more than I can take. I noticed a "rubbing" noise when turning the wheel when I first purchased this vehicle but the dealership assured me it was nothing. A year or so later and I can't turn the wheel at all while driving in low speeds. I almost got hit head on last night with all 4 kids in the car because my car turned wide into the oncoming traffic. :mad:

Reading the number of postings on this issue has me convinced there is a major problem here....we also have had to replace the water pump at around 80k miles. Lift gate? It's been fixed twice, now the struts on the gate are bad and it drops on your head.

How do I start a case number to have the power steering pump/rack & pinion issue become an official recall? I see the link above to file an incident with NTSB but I mean with GM. I cannot believe this isn't already in the system.

My grandparents owned a Buick dealership in our little town when I was growing up and because of that pride, I've always owned a Buick. I had considered buying another Enclave, but now for the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I am considering buying a foreign vehicle.....especially if GM isn't going to stand behind their product. :lemon:
  • bobs124bobs124 Member Posts: 4
    Just paid the bill.
    GM customer service is a joke.
    All the forum responses on this site told it like it would be with GM.
    Customer service sound sincere but they really don't care because there is nothing they can do about it once it is out of warranty. My warranty was good till 62,000 miles. This happened at 72,000 miles.
    They also told me there is not an issue with the rack and opinion or power steering pump even though our 2008 Acadia had both replaced at 30,000 miles.
    Next car will not be a GM product. :(
    The fact that GM can say there is no problem with power steering is a joke . How you can make a luxury product like this and have so man problems is another joke. Well joke is on them because I dumped he heap last weekend and bought a brand I can trust for reliability: Lexus. The fact is I was super apprehensive to even buy Enclave I begin with because I was worried about GM/Americn car reliability. But I heard good things about the vehicle and gave it a shot. I should be shot for good against my I instincts.
  • chosen33chosen33 Member Posts: 10
    I've had my rack and pinion replaced due to steering locking up on me while 400 miles away from home. That was a year and half ago. Now the steering is beginning to whine and rub again..they may want to re-think that "no issue" statement.
  • edenclaveedenclave Member Posts: 2
    Please do not buy a Buick unless you have more money than you know what to do with! I just paid $800.00 to replace the steering pump, steering pinion, and water pump. At 59,000 miles they told me these items were normal wear and tear. If you believe this is how long a car should last then by all means buy Buick for normal people stay away from this junk!
  • terilmterilm Member Posts: 1
    I love the appearance of this car; however that's where it begins and ends. I've had nothing but problems since it was purchased (new). Computer issues are a nightmare; from gauges going crazy to doors unlocking and re-locking to the car just plain not starting. I've had it to the dealership several times and they just couldn't seem to find the problem until...the warranty had expired, what a surprise!

Steering issues as well; and of course I was told by the dealership it was my imagination!! My husband is a big guy, 6'3" and 240lbs...if he can barely get the steering wheel to turn I'm pretty comfortable that something's wrong.

Received paperwork about a recall and took it to the dealership; they only performed half of what was on the recall...had to take it back 2 more times before it supposedly was fixed. The mgr contacted me because of the issues, said she'd gotten 'special permission' for me to have an additional $1,500 discount on my next GM purchase - I'm amazed they thought that corrected the situation.

Never again will I purchase GM after this experience...the sad part is my father-in-law is retired GM!!
  • jedi_robinjedi_robin Member Posts: 1
    I exactly have the same issue on my 2009 Enclave. Took to dealer when in 2010 and they said its normal and GM have no fix for it. The groaning noise is annoying and does not give you a sense of safety. Still does it now but worst. Took it again several time and service advisor maintain their "IT'S NORMAL" pitch. Very frustrating. Considering this is my first GM (American built vehicle) despite general consensus with my peers to stay on the Japanese vehicles.
    Di this issue ever had a resolution???
    I had the problem again but this time turns out it was an axle issue covered by my drive train. Just sounded like it was from my steering wheel.
  • rachael_9667rachael_9667 Member Posts: 2
    Just an update that the A/C is also experiencing problems as well. It, too, seems to be a well-documented issue with these vehicles. I am so upset and frustrated. :sick:

bmanly, "Buick Enclave AC Problems" #1, 29 Jul 2009 7:43 am
  • jiml82jiml82 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    This is a biased response.
    I worked for General Motors and Saginaw Steering Gear Division for 37 years as a product engineering mechanical engineer. We were spun off as part of Delphi in 1999. I have been retired for 13 years. During most of my career, Saginaw supplied nearly 100% of GMs steering components. With the spin offs and bankruptsies, GM decided to "go elsewhere" for a lot of their steering parts. Saginaw certainly wasn't perfect. But my last two GM cars have had multiple steering problems (and neither vehicle has any Saginaw steering parts.)
    My 2009 Enclave had a new rack and pinion installed because of a rubbing condition (12,000 miles). A year later the car was returned for the same noise. Now there was a "service fix" available for the problem. The car was sold with only 48,000 miles.
    My wife's 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt has electric power steering. Again, not sourced at Saginaw. The electric steering motor was replaced as part of a campaign (10,000 miles). After the new motor was installed the rack and pinion steering gear began to rattle. When the service tech took me out for a ride, he knew exactly what type of broken surface over which to drive the car. When he heard the rattle, he stated, "They all do it." The rack and pinion was replaced (20,000 miles). We still have the Cobalt with 32,000 miles on it.
    JIML82
  • tfamilytfamily Member Posts: 1
    I love the look of my Buick...... But I can not turn my car at slow speeds. It is intermittent. After reading all these posts, why is there not a recall. This is a HUGE. Safety issue. I hear it is the racK and pinion. Rrrrrrrrr. She only has 130k.... I thought American made is better...... I do not see GM in my future.
    Once I get the car fixed she is sold. I have never owed a car which is so expensive to fix. The tire replacement is the worst.
  • myenclavelemonmyenclavelemon Member Posts: 1
    We have had issues with steering rubbing noise on our 2009 Enclave that were fixed under warranty by replacing the rack & pinion unit.
    For the past few weeks, we had had intermittent, complete loss of the power steering / steering assist at low speeds, e.g. when parking or when slowing down for a left hand turn. Mechanics could never find anything. It has gotten worse, now they finally diagnosed the power steering pump and want $800+ to fix it. A luxury crossover with less than 60,000 miles and not even 4 years old? Really? This is unbelievable. I have never had a vehicle with that much stuff breaking before, and it seems by the number of people experiencing this issue, there is a epidemic failure GM has to address. Loss of steering assist is a safety issue, I am off to report this to the NTHSB.
    Hi there,

I'm happy to hear that your past repairs were covered by your warranty, but can understand your most recent frustrations with this reoccurring. If you haven't already spoken to GM Customer Service about this, I would like to document your vehicle issues within our system. Can you please send us your full name, VIN, exact mileage, contact info, and dealer? I can be reached by email at [email protected] [attn Amber].

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • wifes_carwifes_car Member Posts: 1
    We had loss of steering while in an intersection waiting to turn left. My wife could not turn the sterring wheel, and almost was hit by oncoming traffic! Now the steering is always like this, and we are scared to drive the Enclave. We took it to the dealer, they say the power steering pump needs to be replaced, and quoted over $1100 to replace it! We are not sure how we will pay for this. After this happened, I did some research, and this is a huge problem. I called Buick Customer Care and started a case on it, and complained to the NHTSA. This is a definite safety issue that needs attention and a recall put out by GM. GM did issue a recall for the water pump seal, but why not for this since it is a safety issue? GM needs to step up before something terrible happens....
  • justdavecjustdavec Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2013
    The vehicle died for my wife as she was waiting in line at a drive-up window yesterday. Had power to fan blower, radio etc, but would not turn over. After 5 minutes it started back up but with check engine light on. Took it to the dealer (Meyer Automotive, Seward NE) they say the ECM needs to be replaced, not warrantable, of course....$550 with labor. Just had the front struts replaced for the 3rd time earlier this summer. I have never, ever owned a vehicle with such a high cost of ownership. These are nice looking, nice riding, luxury vehicles, but they seem to be plagued with just a lot of issues. I have owned many other new vehicles and have run them far beyond the mileage on this vehicle (86K) without any of the issues or anywhere near the expense. Really having doubts about owning another.......Is this ECM problem legit, or is there a timing chain issue or something lurking in the background?
  • unklrayunklray Member Posts: 4
    Thank you. Mine is just starting to make noise at 97 thousand, I will have this checked first.