Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Venza New Owners Report

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..stick with Ford's..."

Yes, by all means, jump from the frying pan into the FIRE.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I doubt if the Ford fire is as hot as the Toyota frying pan at the present time.
  • buyer101buyer101 Member Posts: 80
    The Venza I4 does make a lot of noise when it is idling. Almost like a Mercedez Benz 240 D (diesel) from the 1980s.
  • carync1carync1 Member Posts: 4
    Wow! Thought my flaking paint in the Wheel-well was from flying rocks or something?
    Even though the area is about 1-1/2" long.

This on top of a failing Transmission. (40,000 miles on it now)
  • marvin6marvin6 Member Posts: 72
    Waited 5 weeks for our venza. Love the looks and the interior and love many things with the car. A few disappointments, though. With 300 miles on it now, we notice a small rattle on the passenger side dash and a rattle somewhere in the back. The transmission clunks when put in reverse and it often clunks between first and second and second and third gears. This is not the ABS test (1st to 2nd) but a clunk. At the speed limit, it shifts on the slightest pull (non-flat road area), which was a surprise for us in a 6 cylinder. No choice in which tires came on it, but ours had the goodyear and they seem to ride pretty hard. Pleased with the car, but the transmission clunking is a disappointment. With all the attention toyota has been having in the news, I thought they'd put a little more emphasis on quality control.
    The more "gears" you have the more often the gear ratio will change, shift, with even the smallest roadway pertubation.
    The more "gears" you have the more often the gear ratio will change, shift, with even the smallest roadway pertubation.

I am very much aware of this. I think this car would have done better if it weighed less or with a 5 speed, though. It's almost like mentioning the word "hill" results in a shift.
    Your car's engine control computer is finely tuned to achieve the best FE possible. That means always being in the highest gear possible, lowest engine RPM, CONTINUOUSKY SEEKING the gear ratio wherein the engine is just barely able to produce "just" enough torque to move you along in the current roadway conditions. The more gears you have the more finely it can perform that task.

Weighed less, yes, 5 speed, no.

With a 5 speed you would lost some of the finely tuning capability insofar as FE is concerned.
  • ted_driverted_driver Member Posts: 4
    Look closely at your dashboard. Is the plastic warping? I have a new 2010 Venza and just wanted to see what was happening to others dashboards and plastic panels. Other than that, I'm happy with my purchase. BTW, I already took it in once and the service department said yes that part of the dash was defective -- now it seems anothers parts is. Look for places where the plastic panels joins to be coming apart ever so slightly or areas warping or bowing.
  • cartalker10cartalker10 Member Posts: 5
    Hello Ted,

I have a 2009 Venza V6 AWD.
    The only issue that I have had is with paint chipping and flaking particularly around the wheel wells.
    The Dealer tried to say it was a result of 20" tires blasting debri against the paint. I explained to the Service Manager and Toyota Rep that I now difference between flaking paint due to a poor paint job and paint being blasted off by debri from the tires.
    In short, the complaint got Toyota to pay for the paint job.
    Other than the paint issue, there has been no mechanical problems at alomost 25k miles.
    I really enjoy drive the Venza and it was a dream to drive in all the snow we had this winter.
  • hfnychfnyc Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering purchase of Venza V6 FWD. Live in New York City and need more cargo space than current sedan but not as much as most SUV's offer. Like the look and feel of the Venza. A bit concerned by reports of paint peeling and dashboard warping. Also, does anyone know if the V6 is quieter than the I4?. And, I like the idea of the brake over ride system supposedly on production after April 15 but can't seem to find product availability yet in the NYC area as of June 11.

Curious about any thoughts out there on the car and related questions.
    Thanks, cityguy
    Replying to hfnyc:

I just took my Venza for a 1000 mile road trip so I feel I have a more informed opinion of my Venza now. The big pluses about the car are that it is stylish and unique (unlike the ubiquitous Camry). The exterior is fine so far. My problem is with the interior -- the Venza interior is not as sturdy as Toyotas from previous years (e.g. the plastic panels feel less substantial). I checked a few 2011 Toyotas (Sienna and Camry) and I found they have the same problem so this interior quality problem is not unique to the Venza and could be the way Toyota is making cars for the next few years. I reported the warping in the forum but I also tend to notice little things and the slight warping may not bother you -- check with Venzas that have been on the dealer lot for several months in the sun and check how the dashboard panels fit together; and if you're okay with how the panels fit then the warping issue shouldn't be a problem for you.

The Venza cargo space is really not much more than a sedan if you want to still be able to look out from the rear window. The v6 is somewhat quiter than a v4 but not by much after the car is broken in. At the stop light, I can barely hear/feel my v4 engine running. You should know that (from reading the boards) people find it hard to achieve the stated fuel economy. From my experience unless you drive 55-70mph, it is hard to achieve the stated 29 mpg.

I bought my car last month and from the manufacturing info, my car was made in early April 2010. I was told by my dealer that all Venzas made after March 2010 have/should have the brake overide system.

Despite the quibles I have with my Venza, I like it. It is a fun ride esp with the moonroof. But you should really negotiate hard with the dealer. I still got a pretty good price, $100 over invoice, but the car with rebates for grad and military one can do much better.
  • hfnychfnyc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input. As far as I can tell the dealers in NYC area don't seem to have vehicles produced after April 2010 yet. I've considered the alternatives and the Venza seems the best choice for us. Still trying to find one that has the brake over ride. It may not be the answer but does make me feel a bit safer.
  • camryloyalistcamryloyalist Member Posts: 6
    Allisonian,

Did you ever get your issue resolved on this "thinks on a hill" response by Venza? Was this resolved by recent electronics system retrofit to have brake pedal override accelerator (I think they are two different issues"?

Thinking about buying a 2010 Venza--also debating waiting on the 2011--thoughts?
  • camryloyalistcamryloyalist Member Posts: 6
    Need to buy a new car--have a Camry, new ones feeling small--considering a Venza instead.

Should I wait for 2011 or go with 2010's?

Also, net net net, any real concerns with Venza--i read about rattles, expensive 20" replacement tires, blind spots--are all these minor issues considering overall value?

I am a big guy, 6'4" 275 lbs and dont want to go all the way up to SUV.

Any thoughts appreciated. Really concerned that TOY quality has gone downhill but reviews of Taurus and Chrysler are even less encouraging...Thought about Avalon but know those are getting facelift within 2 years..would like to stay at max $35k.
    I had my heart set on the new 2011 sonata. We were disappointed in it and looked at several other cars. Wife spotted the venza, then we compared with other somewhat "similar" vehicles. We bought a 2010 6 cyl venza. We had a small rattle in the back (cargo net holder) and I hand tightened it. I'm not aware of any blind spots. We have the backup camera, but I don't really use it. I think the visibility is very good. The 20 inch tires will probably last you a very long time. They range in pricing, but you can get them for reasonable prices - I believe the Goodyears are about $109 each. We love our venza and do not regret buying it at all! Our first ever toyota. If we had a beef, it would be that on the slightest pull or hill it will downshift. Perhaps many of the cars do that, idk. My wife tells me I drive like "an old man" and I get about 25 mpg - all highway. When we compared it to Edge/Murano/Traverse, etc, I honestly think this was a no-brainer decision for us.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Aren't you concerned about Toyota using cheaper parts, probably many of them from Red China??!

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/24/toyota-cutting-supplier-expenses-by-30-probab- ly-means-using-ch/
    edited June 2010
    No, I'm not a bit concerned about where toyota gets its parts. The venza is 80 percent american parts and 100 percent american labor. However, that means nothing to me. I've bought quite a few cars over the years and the only "disqualifier" with regard to where or how something was made would be being built in a union plant. Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me, burn me five times and I become committed to non-union plants. Just my experience, not interested in convincing anyone else.
    Other things I've mentioned about my Venza are not major concerns. My major concern is the blindspot because it is a safety issue. The roof supports are large but the C-bar (rear roof support) are big enough to hide a person so now I have to be a little more careful backing up.
  • alleyzonjhalleyzonjh Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased a 2010 venza. We traded a 2005 lexus es330 for the venza, which was a demo model with 7K miles. Got a great deal! First off, the car is absolutely beautiful and looks and feels brand new. It is the v-6 AWD, nav,dvd,back-up cam, HID, smart keys and tow package. The venza drives just as good as our lexus and much better than our navigator(v-8) which we also sold. The handling is much better than the lexus and the ride is just as smooth but not as quiet. Im 6'3 280 and we love the room. I am able to place the front seat in a comfortable position and then sit in the rear seat very comfortably. The rear reclining seats are very nice. Kids love the dvd with headphones and the 120v hookup for the ps3(very convenient). No problems with blind spots and the camera is a good assist to backing but cannot be used independently. Nav is very user friendly and stereo(jbl 13-speaker) is very nice. Bluetooth phone sounds great. I cant even tell the wife is in a car. We took a 300 mile road trip last week and avg about 22 mpg while avg 78 mph(I have a heavy foot). Rides great in the 90-100 mph range and has good power.
    NOW FOR THE COMPLAINTS:
    -no memory seats
    -heated seats but no cooling
    -no rain sensing wipers
    -had alarm/faulty hood latch problem-awaiting backordered part now.

besides these wants/few issues, we love the car. Will give another update down the road.
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    We've gotten one highway tankful @ 29 MPG on our FWD 4cyl.
    Got 26 MPG w/a Thule cargo box driving 65-75 to OBX.
    Luv the interior - dual zone climate controls are helpful.
    Great forward visibility-not so great rearward.
    This would be a good candidate for a hybrid system!
  • john431836john431836 Member Posts: 1
    I am a neophyte on most technical car issues. My question deals with the 20" tires on the Venza. They are a lower profile tire than normal. Will this cause them to wear out quicker than, say, 18" tires? Also, will the ride be a little less "civilized"?
  • linnettlinnett Member Posts: 19
    I read about the Venza for six months before I went for my test drive. There is a lot to love about a Venza. My test drive was more than generous. I had the car for 48 hours. I was so disappointed in the "ride" that I changed my mind about purchasing a Venza. I decided that I just wasn't a woman who could appreciate 20" tires. To be fair I must tell you that I had been driving a sedan, not an SUV. That would affect a person's perception. I couldn't bring myself to buy the most cushioned drive I could find either (Buick). I spent thousands less and am very happy with my Honda Accord. I sill love the appearance of the Venza when I see one.
    edited July 2010
    Our venza has 20 inch tires. The venzas we test drove each had michelins and we found them to be smooth and liked the ride. The venza we ordered and own has goodyears. We do not like the ride with the goodyears at all. The ride is very hard and you feel every bump. With the michelins we found the venza to have a sedan-like feel. We have never owned an SUV, but I suppose the goodyears may make it feel like an SUV - very stiff. I want to get rid of the goodyears and buy michelins, but my wife doesn't want to "waste" money on tires. Fortunately, in addition to not riding well, the goodyears have a very low treadwear rating and will likely only last 25k miles at which time they will be replaced with something else.
    When you drive over a perturbation in the roadbed something MUST "give".

If the give is entirely left to the springs then the follow-on bounce, rebound, can be "compensated" for, damped, by the shock absorber. Obviously any "give" via the tire sidewall cannot be compensated for.

Compromises.....

Personally I would never go above 18" for a typical road-going passenger vehicle.

Probably a more important measure would be tire sidewall heigth.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    You may not consider yourself fortunate when you get a hold of the price on those 20 inchers.
    edited July 2010
    Cost is not an issue for me. Wasting money by replacing new tires with new tires IS an issue for my wife. It's one of those "two vote" things. I would gladly pay $1,000 without hesitation to get rid of the goodyears, but my wife won't hear of it. I plan to keep the venza a long time and when the tires are worn I will do my research and simply buy a smooth riding tire. I'll probably drive a few venzas with different tire types before buying anything.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    There aren't those many 20" tires, but it sounds like you definitely want a soft, all weather tire instead of a touring or SUV tire. Good luck
  • bowfrontbowfront Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 FWD V6 Venza that's loaded with everything, Before buying my wife and I had the l4 overnight for a test drive. It seemed a liltte under powered and noisy. Next we tested the V6 out for a test could immediately see the difference in ride and noise. I would highly suggest the V6 over the l4. FWIW I my average is 22.8 mpg with 20,000 miles (about a 50/50 split of city and highway). I have the Micheclin 20" tires, which do give a better ride over the Goodyears (we tested both). My only concern is that I have several paint chips on the front hood that Toyota claims are due to highway rocks. Could be but my previous Jeep Grand Cherokee went 100 k without any similar chips. I;m not sold on the paint job because of this. Other than that no problems. I love way it handles and the blue tooth phone and iphone music.
  • normvenza09normvenza09 Member Posts: 36
    Somehow, Edmund did not accept my new topic post about Venza's alarm sounding off randomly for no reason. Anyway, I did a google and discovered other Venza owners having the same problem. For mine, I took it to the dealer and they discovered that it was the faulty HOOD SENSOR. I bought my Venza Feb 2009 so kind of short time for the sensor to fail. Anyway, Toyota replaced it for free and all is good now.

Overall, I just love driving this car. I already put 32,000 plus miles...One thing I noticed, my driver seat right side is now touching the center storage console when the lumbar support is all the way up so it is making a squeaking sound when I move. I had to adjust the lumber support half way. Not sure what Toyota can do.
  • biffinatorbiffinator Member Posts: 3
    Short answer: Is there going to be any difference at all between the '10s and 11s? My impression is no, but I may be wrong, so waiting would be pointless unless you are banking $ for the downpayment. If so, then wait. If your present transportation may not make it another month, then buy now.

We're in no hurry. The 2011 is going to be based on the outgoing Camry platform and the 12 should be based on the new platform. Besides, if we fully load a 4 cyl, it will come in around 30k, about $32k for a v6, so we'll be riding our 2 reliable toyotas while banking $ for the venza. Also a couple concerns about the present model. The 4 cyl has very limited tire replacemnt selections, the gas mileage on the upcoming model hopefully will be a bit better and I think Toyota's drive to grow resulted in some slippage of quality/reliability based on reviews. Perhaps better to wait a year or two (or 4, in our case!) and see how their drive to regain their reliability crown goes.

Besides, who knows what bells and whistles will be added by then! But that's just me. Bells and whistles are fun for about the first month, then it's all a matter of reliability for the next 119 months. :P
  • biffinatorbiffinator Member Posts: 3
    I doubt your doubt. Very happy with Toyota after owned Fords and realized if they can't figure out how to build a RELIABLE automatic transmission after 100 years in the auto business, another 100 years is unlikely to yield any improvement. Ford builds job security for their service departments into every automatic transmission vehicle they build.
  • sammy56sammy56 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Just bought a new I4 FWD Venza a couple hours ago.

Anyone else notice their car rolling back on a 10 degree hill? Did not notice that before buying and still would have bought it but... I use to work in a shop so I understand how this can happen, though I do find it somewhat strange because all my previous cars have not rolled back .. well ever.. On a steep enough hill, sure, but on 10 degrees?

Am I alone or is this standard on the Venza due to added weight (my other cars have been sedans, my Camry, for instance, doesn't roll back at 20 degrees).
    Now that the use of the torque converter lockup clutch is common above 1st and second gear the torque converters need not be as efficient at coupling torque. So must vehicles now have hill-hold.

Press harder on the brake pedal as soon as you're fully stopped to engage this feature. Shortcoming is it engages the brakes and doesn't release them until you again depress the accelerator and then there is a short delay in DBW throttle response until the brakes can be released.
  • jaimel2jaimel2 Member Posts: 5
    I have 18 " wheels Bridgestone Dueler tires in my 4 cyl. The ride as you say is not a soft ride as my late 2005 Highlander with Michelin tires. Every imperfection on the road is felt like a 1950 pick up truck. who knows the solution for a better ride?
    15 or 16 inch wheels....
    I have the 20" goodyears on my venza. Yes, it rides very rough. You feel every imperfection on the road. I rode in a 2002 tacoma - stripped, no options - this weekend. It rode smoother than my venza. Perhaps those who have owned SUVs and pickups in the past do not find it bothersome.
  • jaimel2jaimel2 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, but my Venza 2009 is a lease for 36 mo. I think i can not make any changes on any Toyota factory parts or accesories, am I correct?
  • oiiiiooiiiio Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2011 Venza V6 about 3 weeks ago. I just recently started to pay attention to some of the dashboard details and noticed that our Venza dashboard is warping in some of the sections as well. Not sure if I should take it to the dealer afraid they might just make the problem worst, not sure if I should wait until it gets worst and then take it, or not sure if we should wait for a Toyota recall on that issue. This really sucks! Considering we have just bought a brand new car which is already showing problems for the next 5 years. What a screw up! Good luck to us the Venza owners!
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I would take it it to the dealer so they can note the problem on their records. You can then decide whether to have it repaired now or in the future. Very doubtfull that a recall would be issued for a trim problem--not a safety issue.
    I did get the dashboard panels fixed/adjusted. Doing so helped a little bit. My dealer in Orange County, CA was good about promptly fixing it but the process took over half the day in addition to the weeks it took for the parts to arrive. Also, when it was done, the repairman said this was the best he could do -- meaning that if you are one with an eye for detail, you can still notice some ill fitting panels. This is nothing major; I forgot about it after a while.

If you do get it fixed, leave your car in the hot (I know it's winter) sun and let the plastic panels cure in the sun. This should reveal the most ill fitting pieces. Then take your car to the dealer. When they note which panels should be replaced, tell them to make sure those new panels (probably just fresh from the factory) are cured and don't warp after being placed in the car and adjusted for fit.
  • mary1962mary1962 Member Posts: 1
    I bought Venza 2010 last November and it rolls back on a hill too ,I owned all wheel drive before and heavy cars like Citroen and Volvo no such issue I'm going for check up it is pre-owned certified hope will be fix
  • madbuddamadbudda Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my Venza on January 3rd 2010 and had it nearly a year before my wife crashed it. It was a 2010, 4 cylinder with AWD. Two days ago, my wife was easing into a parking space at the local CVS with her foot on the brake when the car started to rev it's engine and lurking forward like a bull on it's own. This all happened when she was about to put the car from drive to park. The car jumped the slab of concrete that most parking spaces have in front , rolled another foot and jumped the sidewalk. The car was heading straight for the store when my wife turned the wheel and collided with a pole/column. This was the only way the car was able to stop. Luckily she didn't get hurt. The air bags didn't deploy either. Right now the car is in the collision shop with a 6,800.00 bill that the insurance company will have to pay. A complaint has already been filed and I am waiting for an answer from Toyota.
    This is not the first incident that we have had with this problem. A few weeks after we purchased the car was the first time my wife notice this. Almost the same thing, She was pulling into our driveway slowing down as she approached the house. The car started to lurk forward and rev it's engine. She managed to stop the car before it hit the house. She told me about her experience and I questioned her. I didn't think it was true because the car is new and not on the recall list. Another couple of weeks went by before I had the same experience. I was doing the same exact thing as my wife, about to park the car in the driveway when the car started jumping again. The next day , I brought the car to the dealership explained the problem to them. They said the car wasn't on the recall list and to make me feel a little better, they had someone test drive the car around the lot. Obviously the car performed beautifully. I drove the car home and haven't had a problem till 2 days ago.

There is definitely something wrong with the car. This is something Toyota has to fix. Lives are at stake here. I don't want anyone to go through what my wife went through. Like I said before, luckily she wasn't hurt and my kids weren't in the car. I would strongly suggest anyone thinking about buying or leasing a Venza to reconsider different options. Toyota is not going to admit that there is a problem with its cars unless enough people complain or seriously get hurts or even dies. They always come out with a recall when its too late or 3 years later. This is there MO. I'm just venting because I am mad. I bought this car because the car looks nice and wanted my family to feel safe. Toyota failed in the latter of the two.
  • bbrimmerbbrimmer Member Posts: 32
    I bought my 2010 Venza 4 cylinder AWD and it has 19 inch Toyo tires that ride very smoothly. It thus far has been a great vehicle and has plenty of get up and go with the 4.
  • horsepower4horsepower4 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2011
    ">We just traded our Kia Sedona van for a certified 2009 Toyota Venza with 8000 miles. While I loved my van (and do miss the space, ride, convenience), the Venza is much more stylish and affords me the versatility of the fold-down seats and space in the back. Besides the looks of the car, we really like the mileage. Got the I4 and it seems to have plenty of go-power to pass and accelerate. The best part is, we have gotten as much as 34 mpg. with a tailwind on interstate driving and consistently average 26-27 combined city and highway driving.

The car is comfortable to drive, plenty of seat adjustment, and room in the back seat. We do notice road noise at highway speeds and it is not related to the sunroof. For that reason, we are thinking of having the radio speakers replaced to improve sound, and while they have the door panels off, will probably have some insulation added. Something we should not have to spend extra money on.

Mechanically, we do not have any issues with engine noise or transmission shifting. It runs very quiet and shifts just like it should. I don't think the steering link to the front-end feels as "connected" and tight as it should (compared to my van); nor does it ride nearly as smooth. We feel the bumps and they actually can throw the car slightly. Of course it's a lighter-weight car than the Kia Sedona van, but still overall does not hold the road or steer as tight as I would expect for a new car with only 8000 miles on it. We drove new 2010 Venzas before purchasing this used one and I did not notice so much wind noise or handling issues. This 2009 is Toyota certified and had a clean CarFax report, so it shouldn't be flawed.

We held out for a Venza with leather interior because, as a repair professional who works on car interiors, I had some reservations about keeping the cloth seats clean. As far as the quality of the interior materials, Toyota has reduced the quality. The plastic parts seem to scratch and scuff much easier than those in my Kia. (It was very durable and near perfect after 5 years and 75,000 miles.) And the leather used in the seats is not as thick or of the quality as that in cars of a few years ago. Same can be said for the vinyl and plastic parts.

We purchased a Toyota extended warranty which hopefully will take care of any issues the car may have while we own it. It is transferrable to the next owner as well. The gas mileage is enough to help us overlook the handling and noise problems for now. We will drive it for awhile and see what else comes on the market in a year or two. As far as appearance, we got the blizzard pearl and it is a head-turner. Get lots of compliments on it and it does turn heads. Overall, we are satisfied with the car and the money it saves us at the pump!
  • vanza_safetyvanza_safety Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2011 vanza, and I had same issue on uphill. This car would roll back on drive UNSTOPPABLE until you press brake or accelerate pedal. I really think it's a safety hazard and a design flaw. So I did some googling, and found you have to manually activate the feature by fully stepping on the brake pedal until a beep is heard and the traction control light comes on. I have tested it on my car, it works fine when stopping on the uphill. I hope anyone see this post would post it on your forum or somewhere else to let other people to know and get safe on this car.
  • gurbeer4gurbeer4 Member Posts: 1
    I have an Honda Crv. and I want to change and will keep this car atleast next 5-6 years.. Do u recommend this car. I like the car to drive and be nice and steady...I kinda also do 4-5 hrs road trip here and there, so I need something nice .. Do u guys recommend this car ?
  • edin06edin06 Member Posts: 5
    Is anyone here know what is a best price for Venza 2011 Base FWD 4cl with Moonroof,smarkey?

Please advise

Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Hi edin06...

We have a forum devoted especially to pricing...

You can find it here: Toyota Venza Prices Paid and Buying Experience

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tennisjunckytennisjuncky Member Posts: 1
    Hal, I have the exact same noise coming from the drivers front wheel area. It sounds like a chain clacking inside when driving on rough pavement or railroad track overpass.I took it to the dealer and they could not try to fix it because " the mechanic could not locate exactly where the noise was coming from". I plan on taking it back before the warrantee expires. If no help I am going back to a Honda.