Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Sienna

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It sure does, 0-60 in about 7 seconds almost feels delinquent in a van. ;)
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I wish they could have eeked a few more highway MPG out of the V6. Did they use the latest DFI engine technology in it? I'm also thinking that thing may be a little large and heavy for even a Toyota 4 banger.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I had a 2004 Sienna, and it consistently got more than the EPA highway mileage rating. I was quite amazed. It wasn't unusual for it to get 28 mpg.
  • nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    I too would have liked to see more MPG from the V6. With the high fuel prices of 2007 and 2008, I would have thought Toyota would have come up with better MPG on their new 2011 Sienna.

I don't think most drivers will be satisfied with the 4 cyl version. I have been known to be wrong before.
  • inspectoringinspectoring Member Posts: 102
    would it be unreasonable to assume that the pricing will be negotiable for 2001 in Feb when the car come to the dealers? i.e. would they expect the full MSRP or would they be willing to let the car go for a little or invoice + Tax Title and Reg ?
    I am considering the minivan and would think that it might be best to hold off till the 2011 comes out...
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    I'm going to assume you meant 2010 (not 2001) and say now may be a very good time to negotiate.

First by February the 2010 vans will be leftovers- I would expect they've already shut off production of the 2010 model if the 2011s are to make it into showrooms by Feb. That means while deals may be good, the selection won't be.

Second, The end of December closes both the quarter and the year They are looking at their numbers and thinking about how many more deals they need to hit their goals and may be willing to come down just a bit more to score that sale.

Start negotiating with multiple dealers online now and be ready to close by the end of the month and you maybe able to get something below invoice + title & reg.
    Will depend on the dealership. Some will want MSRP and some will be wanting to deal. Probably would be a good idea to start talking with some internet sales guys now and see if they will take a deposit for a firm price over invoice for a 2011.
    No, Direct Injection is saved for the Lexus models with the 2GR-FSE version of this engine.

The engine is the same 266hp version in today's van.

Mileage is already best-in-class so perhaps we're expecting a bit too much? Remember the HP advantage over competitors.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..No, Direct Injection is saved for.."

Well, no.

The only DI Lexus is the GS series and it uses a combination of SFE and DI.

Toyota is for some reason just simply S..l....o......w to adapt their engines to this new DFI technology. The HSD engines now have e/VVT-i, Extended VVT-i, a Toyota exclusive for the moment, but not DFI. Using e/VVT-i the engines can be run in Otto mode, 15:1 static compression ratio (12:1 w/DFI) for simply "cruisng", light engine loading. Under heavy engine loading, WOT, the engine mode is shifted to the Atkinson cycle, effective CR or 10:1(12:1 DFI).

Makes no, little, sense.

"..The engine has the same 266hp in today's van..."

Your point being....??

With DFI the engine could be downsized in displacement by as much as 10-15% and still have 266HP, REAL gain in FE. Downsize AND adapt the engines to/for DFI and e/VVT-i and hwy FE would increase by maybe 20%

"....expecting a bit too much..."

Not when the technology is already available and in current use and the "future" price of fuel is so highly in doubt.

Why is it that the F/awd Venza is available with the new I4 but not the HL or Sienna...?? The weight is about the same for all three.

Marketing 101...??
  • happy2bme1happy2bme1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna with 50,000 miles on it. My question is, do headlights that still work ever need to be replaced due to loss of light intensity? It seems to me that they aren't as bright as they were when the vehicle was new. Of course, at age 68, I'm not as bright as I used to be either. Does anyone have any ideas regarding the need to replace headlights simply because of their age?
  • bshiffrinbshiffrin Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to decide whether to buy a 2010 Sienna Limited model or wait for a 2011. My garage doors are a little narrow and the 2010 limited has power folding mirrors which make it more convenient to get in and out of the garage. On our old Sienna we have to stop the car, get out and manually fold the mirrors. This gets to be inconvenient in the rain or winter snow.

I can't find any indication that the 2011 limitedmodel has the power folding mirrors. My dealer is trying to find out, but I was hoping someone here might have seen the car close up and could report on this feature.

Barry
    Our nighttime vision, specifically color recognition, declines pretty seriously, precipitously, after age 60. Upgrading to HID headlights, brighter, narrower light spectrum (~4300K, close to our sun's light spectrum) can be of tremendous help.

Simplest way to upgrade, legally upgrade, is called buying a "new" car. Absent that be sure the upgrade is done along "legal" lines and is of the projector type.
    I think you might have more luck going to Ebay and buying power folding mirrors to retrofit to a Sienna.
    Thanks for clarifying which models get DI and which ones don't. Strange indeed.

I wrote: "..The engine has the same 266hp in today's van..."

You replied: Your point being....??

My point being it did not get DI, which is what the OP was asking.

Why is it that the F/awd Venza is available with the new I4 but not the HL or Sienna...?? The weight is about the same for all three.

Actually the 2011 Sienna does get the 2.7l 4 cylinder option.

EPA mpg improves by 1-2mpg.
    Check the lens covers to make sure they're clean and totally clear. They can get hazy after 10 years. You may even want to polish them.
    Plastic lenses on headlights fog over time. Like a cataract. There are plastic polishing kits sold at auto supply houses that can repair some of the problem.
    The new Sienna is NOT available with F/awd AND the 4 cylinder.
    Sure it is, with FWD at least.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/02/la-2009-2011-toyota-sienna-could-wear-a-lexus- - -badge/

That V6 is the same 3.5-liter Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) unit available today, with 266 horsepower. The engine is stout enough to give the Sienna a 3,500-pound tow capacity while returning mileage of 18 mpg city and 24 mpg highway. Also available in Sienna and LE will be the VVT-i 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine with 187 horses and a slight bump in mileage to 19/26.
    I wonder if its going to have dumb tires like the Highlander? Hopefully, they'll stay mainstream with the new Sienna.
    What tires are those? You mean run-flats?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I assume that you mean 2011.

It depends entirely on supply and demand. There's no getting around that. At the initial launch when dealers have one vehicle to show I wouldn't expect to get a killer deal. Maybe in the Spring when supply can start flowing dealers will be willing to be flexible.

However if it's a huge hit and demand exceeds supply you might have to wait until summer or fall. That's what happened when the Gen 2 Sienna was launched. It was launched in March of 03 and supply didn't catch up with demand until the following December.
    Personally, there aren't any run-flats out there I'd want on any vehicle, but no, I'm talking about odd sized tires that have poor traction and durability, plus cost a fortune to replace. Let's hope Toyota doesn't repeat that stupidity on the new Sienna.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    The biggest problem with run-flats that I see is that you're likely to have a big problem finding a replacement when you need one.
    I'm somewhat new to Edmunds, and would appreciate how the discussion of run-flats, whatever they may be, has to do with headlight replacement. Can someone explain this please?
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    "I'm somewhat new to Edmunds, and would appreciate how the discussion of run-flats, whatever they may be, has to do with headlight replacement. Can someone explain this please?"

They're not related. I think your original post probably belonged in a different thread. This thread is about the new redesigned 3rd generation 2011 Sienna that was just unveiled this month. Someone asked if this new model will have "dumb tires" on it, and that led to a discussion about run-flats.

You might get better results for your headlight question if you were to click "Add a discussion" under the "Search Toyota Sienna" field in the upper right of the screen.
    Discussions here aren't threaded like other forums, perhaps that's created the confusion.

Your question probably was under the wrong category of topics, hence the lack of responses.

Maybe a Problems & Solutions category would be a better place to ask.
    I think you have correctly identified the cause of my headlight problem. Getting older has so many surprised and it appears I have discovered yet another.

Thanks wwest. If you aren't a physician, perhaps you should be.
    http://www.insideline.com/toyota/sienna/2011/2011-toyota-sienna-first-drive.html- #add-comment

Not sure about that 0-60 estimate, seems way too conservative.

They really liked the handling, but noted the loss of legroom.
  • tekkamakitekkamaki Member Posts: 23
    Time to build a bigger garage!
    Just finished my 2 car- 10 foot ceilings- 16x8 door with all cedar siding and trim plus its got attic storage space.

No wonder I could only afford a used CE.
    Sounds like a garage-mahal. :shades:
    "I am trying to decide whether to buy a 2010 Sienna Limited model or wait for a 2011. My garage doors are a little narrow and the 2010 limited has power folding mirrors which make it more convenient to get in and out of the garage. On our old Sienna we have to stop the car, get out and manually fold the mirrors. This gets to be inconvenient in the rain or winter snow."

Looks like you can get power folding mirrors in the '11 Sienna Limited model, BUT it also looks like if you get the Limited you must also take the lounge seating in the 2nd row. Those seats each weigh 75 pounds and, as seen from pictures posted, leave something behind on the track when they are removed (so no flat floor where 2nd row is). The other thing to consider between the '10 and '11 model years, and this one is baffling to be sure, is that the '11 Siennas have much less leg and cargo room. You lose over 2" legroom in front, another 2" in the middle, and 3" in the rear.

If you want a Limited but don't want lounge chairs in the 2nd row, and you do want more overall space (across all trim levels), then maybe the 2010 would be the better choice.

At first I was glad for waiting for the '11 Sienna unveiling. Now, after seeing the '11 specs, I'm not so sure. The selection of '10 Limiteds in our area is getting sparse.
    Where did you find the info on lost interior space? I thought there was space gain on the 2011 Sienna.
    Toyota released the info last week:

www.autoblog.com/2009/12/18/toyota-releases-full-product-information-guide-for-2- - - 011-sienna/

(There're no spaces or hyphens in the "2 011-sienna" part of the link, but that's the way it always wants to post on this forum; should be just "2011-sienna"; sorry)
    In case you have an interest in the F/awd model the 2011 Sienna has adopted the new system used in the Venza and 2010 RX350. Big improvement over the 2010 "one-wheel" drive system but not yet the equal of the SH-AWD system.
    Can you elaborate a bit?

What type of system is it? What's the power split?
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/toyota-announces-pricing-for-all-new-201- - 1-sienna-minivan-79832922.html

This article says lounge seating is standard on both the XLE (AWD version) and the Limited:
    "The XLE offers substantially more standard content at its value-driven MSRP of $32,175, even when compared to the LE. The XLE builds on the LE, adding standard features such as second-row Lounge Seating (AWD only), 18-inch alloy wheels, power moonroof, heated driver and passenger seats with adjustable temperature control, textured leather-trimmed eight-way power driver's captains chair and four-way front passenger captain's chair, towing package, power swing-out rear quarter glass, power rear door, fog lights, wood-grain-style trim, tri-zone automatic climate control system with air filter and rear control panel, optitron meters, and an anti-theft system with engine immobilizer."
    Why AWD only? Once again Toyota's packagin makes NO SENSE!

towing package

Used to be standard, on my 07 LE Pkg 3. Dropped for MY2008.

power swing-out rear quarter glass

Oh noes! More cost cutting. My LE has that. I think mine has the immobilizer, too.

So they definitely cut a few things out, but I'll trade those off for a backup cam and power rear hatch any day.
    Most of the time FWD only, 50/50 with HARD/WOT acceleration and 80/20 even with acceleration while turning. It's unclear just what happens with inadvertent/unexpected wheelspin when in FWD only mode. The way it reads is that although it will instantly couple in the rear drive it also INSTANTLY dethrottles the engine and starts braking the front wheels.

Definite advantage for start-out, initial acceleration on a slippery surface but just as bad as the old system, TC "enforced" F/awd, for unexpected loss of traction. But I suppose that should be an expected reaction to FWD wheelspin/slip in order to provide the absolute maximum FWD safety factor.
    The VSC is a bit hyper-active. I turn it off to drive my FWD Sienna up a snowy driveway, which it struggles with, even with little snow.
    Hire a chauffer:

I suspect you mean to say TC, Traction Control. VSC is used to prevent yawing, otherwise know as over or under stearing. TC is used to SUSTAIN and FORCE re-apportionment of engine torque if a driven wheel, more often the front, spins or slips.

Since loss of traction on the front wheels is such a dire matter, life-threatening really, TC is used hyper-actively to QUICKLY intervene and restore traction.

Interesting note is the fact that the RX350 version of this very same F/awd system has a switch which allows the driver to lock the rear drive into synchronization with the front drive.

The early Ford Escapes using this F/awd system also had the manual switch capability but that was quickly dropped from the design. I suspect due to too many warranty claims from driver misuse of the function.

Maybe:

A) Enough profit margin in the RX to support the warranty claims arising from misuse..

B) Expectation that RX drivers will make more judious use of the switch....

C) Additional cooling of the RX's PTO just as Mazda did on the CX-7....

D) All of the above...??

At one stage Ford used a heat sensor in the rear drive clutch to advise the driver to discontinue use of the function for a period of time.
    Yes, I guess I used the label to represent the full traction/stability control system.

To be honest, after slipping back and sideways a little, I wouldn't be surprised if the VSC did kick in. :D
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Do anyone here like the interior design?

I personally can't take it.
    It looks inspired by the Venza, certainly more in tune with modern interior design.

I feel mixed. My 2007 is very simple and straightforward. The ergonomics are great.

The new one is more imaginative and maybe even prettier, but I'd have to sample it to judge on the useability and ergonomics.

To me it looks fine, though.
    Truth is, it's not that bad, but still very radical IMO. Correct, the Venza is similar to that and so is the new Lexus RX.

What bothers me (judging from photos) is the following:

Temperature controls were much simpler in the current version (CE & LE only). 4 simple knobs and that's it. The new design with all that buttons surrounding the temperature dial is confusing, if a bit stylish. The SYNC button and front passenger control is a long stretch for the driver, but I understand it will easier to reach for a front passenger.

The TEXT button on the radio still exists! Get rid of it, Toyota, once and for all!! The LCD of the stereo should be large enough to contain all music data at once (that includes file name, artist, album info, etc.) Why only show one component at a time and requiring to press TEXT each time is beyond me.

Speaking about stereo, I think that Toyota missed the boat by not offering a built-in hard drive to store your songs, like the infotainment system on the Chrysler minivans. Today, most newer offers from Detroit offer a similar system, ranging from 10 gb to 40 gb of hard drive space.

Another plus it there would be a hard drive (SSD preferred), that the navigation system would be hard drive (not DVD) based, which have many advantages, the biggest is that it's much easier to update later.

It is 2010 now and Toyota is still THE ONLY MANUFACTURER which does not feature illuminated controls for power window switches and mirrors. If anyone can explain the reason for that, please do so because I am unable to understand it.

Like someone else mentioned above, even though they decided not to offer the stow'n'go seating, it is still a shame that they do not offer at least the under-floor storage like the Chrysler minivans.

Also mentioned above, it is a disappointment for the EPA mileage figures. Chrysler with the 4.0L engine provides 26 mpg highway. Although I believe that the EPA numbers are under-estimated. I guess that the additional few hundred lbs. of the newer generation prevented it from getting better numbers.

I have some more, but I think I will wait to see the real thing personally, and only then comment on them.
    The trend is to go with iPods or portable MP3 players, so I want a nice USB input and iPod controls. If it can charge the iPod while it plays, and let you use the steering wheel or voice controls to select songs, it's perfect.

That plus HD radio, which is free, rather than subscription-based satellite radio.

It's auto show season so hopefully they will have an open one for me to check out at the DC Auto Show coming soon.
    Accuracy..

Also mentioned above, it is a disappointment for the EPA mileage figures. Chrysler with the 4.0L engine provides 26 mpg highway. Although I believe that the EPA numbers are under-estimated. I guess that the additional few hundred lbs. of the newer generation prevented it from getting better numbers.

From www.fueleconomy.gov

Chrysler T&C 4.0L ... 17 C / 25 H / 20 Combined
    Toyota Sienna 3.5L.. 18 C / 24 H / 20 Combined ( Expected )

However everything about the drivetrain in the T&C is a compromise...
    In the LX trim you must get the 3.3L 173 HP engine!!. No other option.
    In the Touring trim you must get the 3.8L @ 197 HP engine!!. No other option.
    Only if you get the Touring L and pay $630 additional do you get the 4.0L @ 251 HP engine!!. Now your price is approaching $34000!

To get the 4.0L you've got to step up to the Touring-L or Limited trims and pay big bucks, otherwise you're stuck with 1990's era engines and drivetrains. In addition these 90s-era drivetrains get worse fuel economy, one would even qualify for a new Cash for Clunkers program. With the Sienna you get the state of the art 3.5L 266 HP engine in every trim at no extra cost. Uhhhh.... no brainer here.

The T&C ( ex-Caravan ) sells because it's low in price. It's a giveaway vehicle if the incentives are big enough.
    Good point, right now you can get a Sienna CE for under $21 grand and get 266hp.

Let's see the new pricing structure for the 2011 models, a 2.7l 4 banger will be the base engine. EPA numbers are slightly better, FWIW.
    Also from the photos, it seems that the key fob will not be integrated into key top, but a separate piece, like the outgoing model design (I am not discussing here the top-of-line with push strat/stop engine, but base models). That's also a step behind most (if not all) competitors.

I also assume that there will be no factory-installe remote starter option (Only a dealer-installed accessory). Most newer offerings from American companies offer this feature "factory installed" which has the advantage of being fully integrated with the system, temperature settings, wipers, security/alarm settings, and more.
    The western world just came crashing down. Life as we know it has come to an end.