Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi S4 Lease Questions

Comments

• jauri7788jauri7788 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your quick reply!

I thought it was too high as well. How much should it be even with the negative equity? I ran the Edmunds lease calculator even with the numbers the dealer gave me and it was like $100 lower than his number. When I confronted him, he kept telling me that there are upfront costs of $2065, acquisition fees, title and tag fees and etc. Is this all a dealership [non-permissible content removed]?
  • isles1isles1 Member Posts: 119
    First negotiate the sales price as mentioned above based on invoice.

Then move to why the money factor is higher than the "buy rate" money factor.

$695 is the acquisition fee on all Audi leases. You'll have to ask the dealer to break down the rest of the $2065 of fees. "Documents fees" and "dealer prep fees" are BS and you should not pay them. Title fees and DMV fees are legit, of course.

You'll have to add the negative equity into a lease calculator as an additional cost. This calculator usually comes within $10 of the dealer figures: http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm
    Thanks so much. When you calculate the lease residual value, do you use percentage of the MSRP or the selling price of the car? I thought it was the selling price of the car, but the dealer said it is calculated on the MSRP of the price. Again, I appreciate your help.
    Also, I qualify for the Audi loyalty. Where should that be applied?
    Residual is based off of MSRP...that is to the lessee's (your) advantage.

Negotiate the sales price with your dealer WITHOUT factoring in the Audi Loyalty incentive. The incentive will be treated as a $1K cap cost reduction, which you will pay sales tax on. So you are aiming for $500 over invoice (or less if you can haggle well) BEFORE the loyalty incentive. This incentive is not a cost to the dealer; it is an Audi of America "subsidy", so do not let the dealer skew the numbers on you.

The lease calculator I linked you to above handles all the correct calculations for you, including sales tax in the payment.
    Thanks so much. Looks like the dealer was trying to rip me off... So sad I just found this site today. I've been getting ripped off for years...
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi quattrorings. Wow, there's been a lot of posts about leasing the S4 lately.

Audi's current lease program is scheduled to run through April 2nd. It's difficult to say what will happen to its program after that. I don't know what the cutoff for Audi Financial Services' top credit tier is off of the top of my head, but I suspect that it's in the 700's...say 720 or so.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi jauri7788. Vehicles' dollar residual values are calculated by multiplying the residual value percentage times the full MSRP, including the destination charge and the MSRPs of any options that can be residualized.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi jauri7788. It's not healthy to look back, just be happy that you'll be getting great deals on your leases from now on :).

Car_man
    Host
  • quattroringsquattrorings Member Posts: 5
    Considering how low the rates on the S4 are, I should probably lock it in before April 2
  • tcovtcov Member Posts: 3
    Just wanted to verify if MF .00068 applies to both premium and prestige?
    Just going off the past few years, I would not expect the MF to get any better after in April when the current program expires. The residuals will probably move up a few points with the new model year, along with higher MFs.

If you wait until April, you may find that dealers have no more allocations for MY2013 order, and will be in the position to order a MY2014 or take a MY2013 from stock. The MF also tends to jump when the new model year comes out, and your bargaining power drops with an increase in demand for the new model year, together with an increase in buyers as most locales move higher temps and nicer weather (car buying season).

So I'd lock in the current program by placing an order on of before April 2. If for some chance the programs are better when you take delivery, you may avail yourself of those programs instead.

I locked in Nov. programs for P+ 36 months (MF .00105, 56%) but will get the benefit of the current program (MF .00068, 55%). The current program saves me about $20 a month, or about $700 over the lease term. Not bad.
    Yes, tcov, that is the money factor for both the Premium & Prestige but the residual values for the Prestige are 2% lower.

Car_man
    Host
  • daveg35daveg35 Member Posts: 7
    Sorry if this has already been posted but I'm picking up my custom ordered S4 this week and want to make sure I have the most current lease details. on a Premium Plus, 36 mo lease, 15k/yr. with Audi Care. What should the money factor and residual values be? When I order the vehicle in Nov the RES was 54% - not sure about the MF. Want to make sure I am not getting ripped off before I go in and sign the lease so if you could give me the latest #s ASAP I sure would appreciate it.
    I've already ordered my Audi with delivery most likely late March/Early April. Could I lock in the lease rate before delivery? Would this be a wise idea?
    When I ordered my S4 in Nov I was locked into the lease rate, however if the rate went down at the time of delivery I would get the lower rate. That is why I am looking for the current rate - I am taking delivery next week.
    Car_Man,

I'm picking up my custom ordered S4 this week and want to make sure I have the most current lease details. on a Premium Plus, 36 mo lease, 15k/yr. with Audi Care. What should the money factor and residual values be? When I order the vehicle in Nov the RES was 54% - not sure about the MF. Want to make sure I am not getting ripped off before I go in and sign the lease so if you could give me the latest #s ASAP I sure would appreciate it.
    I know Car_man is busy, so I'll jump in here and I'm sure he will confirm when he gets a chance:

Current "buy rate" money factor for a 36-month lease of a Premium Plus S4 is .00068. The residual value is 53% for 15K miles. AudiCare adds 1% to the residual.
    edited February 2013
    My dealer just informed me that they alway mark up their money facors by .0003 and provide a higher discount to make up for the difference. Does that make sense?

"We mark up all our interest rates and money factors as do all financial institutions such as banks, mortgage companies and car dealerships. The residual is 54% but the money factor is .00098. We mark it up .0003 to all
    Deals. We did discount this deal $2470 not $1670 as it was because of the money factor mark up."
  • azax456azax456 Member Posts: 27
    Hello all! I have been long lurking and finally decided on an S4 over a BMW 535i today. Spent some time at the dealer and wanted to share this deal with everyone. What do you guy think?

2013 S4 Black/Black, Key, B&O, Nappa Leather, 19" wheels, carbon fiber inserts and Supercharged badges.

MSRP: $58,375
    Selling price: $54,500
    MF: .00038 (6 MSD's buying down from .00068 buy rate)
    299 tint/880 Audi Care/695 aquisition/489 Doc fee - all rolled in
    ~800 registration and first month due at signing

Payment: $662 plus tax (8.8%) for a total of $720/month.

Thoughts? Thanks guys!
    Find a dealer that does not mark up the "buy rate" money factor.

What "deal" are they discounting? What is the negotiated sales price? What is the MSRP? What is the invoice?
    All looks good except the $489 doc fee. Cross it out...the dealer is padding the deal with it, negating a good portion of your MF buy down. Part of the doc fee might be the title fee, which is legit...you have to ask the dealer break it out for you.

You could probably get AudiCare for $30-$50 less, but that is really splitting hairs.

Most people advise against letting the dealer do tint. Price for tint seems fair, but that all depends on the brand of tint and what windows you are tinting.
    I know the doc fee is padding but we are pretty much at invoice on the deal...they might be making a few $ on tint, doc fee and Audi Care but I feel it is pretty solid..I haven't seen many near invoice deals on an S4 on here
    Yes, it looks like you are within a few hundred of invoice re: selling price. I cannot duplicate your MSRP and listed option here on Edmunds to get exact invoice.

As long as you are okay adding $489 to the amount over invoice, then the deal is certainly fair. I really do not see how it can hurt to object to the doc fees, especially if you are in an area with several dealers. The car is on the lot, MY2014 order sheets are only a few months away. I am sure they are looking to move 2013s.

Not sure if you are leasing or buying, but watch the interest rates as that is another way a dealer can pad the deal.
    edited February 2013
    After discovering that my delaer was trying to "mark up" the MF I told them I was going to shop around before signing the paperwork - even though I had given them a $500 deposit on a custom ordered S4 that just arrived. As soon as they heard that they were willing to forgo the mark up, saving me $900 over the life of the lease. The lesson here is to be sure you know what the Audi MF is and what the dealer is charging you. Marking up the MF is an easy way for them to hide what they are really chargng you.

My final deal:

MSRP: $53,020
    Final Price after discount ($1,670) and rebate/incentives ($2,500): $48,850
    ACQ Fee: $695
    Title/Reg Fee: $175
    Doc Fee: $399
    Free Audi Care
    Free All Season Weather Floor Mats
    MF: .00068
    RES: 54%
    They still got you on the doc fee, but great job standing your ground and getting some extras thrown in! Enjoy the car!
    I am thinking of getting an s4 and have gotten some lease numbers from the dealer. I have a few questions.

How accurate is edmunds tv as a price to negotiate for? Right now it appears that tv is ~1000 higher than invoice.

Also, dealers is saying that he is adding .00015 to MF of .00068 since I am a new Audi customer.
    I am a new Audi customer, just signed a deal on a 2013 S4 yesterday. Paid invoice and MF was at .00068. DO NOT let them mark up the MF, tell them that is a deal breaker. The only reason it should be raised is if you have horrible credit. If there is more than 1 dealership in your area you should not be paying a more than $500 over invoice.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    .00015 might be to waive the security deposit... Return customers don't have to make a security deposit..

If that's the case, I'd make a security deposit and save the $10/mo...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Or you can ask that, together with your credit application, the dealer request that the security deposit requirement be waived. Then there should be no MF markup or a security deposit requirement. At least that was my experience as a first time Audi customer.
    I thought I was good at leases, but I cant make his numbers work..They are way too high anyways..

thought I would post for some help

MSRP:57820
    sale:54325
    1000 rebate (BMW owner currently)

55% residual
    .00083 residual (0.00068+.00015)

then there is
    695 acq
    80 docs
    463 license
    487.25 cap fees (??)
    15.08 cap tax (??)

gross cap costs:55587.25

cap cost reductions: 1000 (rebate) - 827.63 (amount $$ up front ie first payment) = 172.28 total cap reduction

Net cap costs: 55429.96

monthly payment: 761.04 + 66.59..

anyone seeing how this is coming up?

sounds way too high to me
    Monthly payment before sales tax is too high, by about ~$50-$55, based on those numbers. Almost a $2,000 discrepancy over the term of the lease.

License fees will be due at signing and are not a capitalized cost.

First month's payment is not a cap cost reduction.

"Cap fees" sounds like hidden dealer fees, like prep fees, to me...have the dealer break those out for you. Similarly, confirm "doc fee" is the state title document fee; otherwise, have the fee removed.
    Hi daveg35. Audi Financial Services' February buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 S4 Premium Plus with 15,000 miles per year are .00068 and 53% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Excellent response daveg35. You are exactly right, consumers who order vehicles are usually able to lock in the program that is available at the time the order was placed and switch to the program that is available at the time of delivery if it's better.

Car_man
    Host
    edited March 2013
    Car_man,

I'm scheduled to take delivery within a couple of weeks on a 2013 Premium Plus, 12k mi., 36 mo. Can you let me know the money factors for April. I ordered the car back in late January and I'm wondering what the best MF would be.
    April numbers will not be released until probably the second week in April. For your trim package, term and miles per year, the Buy Rate MF is .00068 and the residual is 55% for January through April 6, 2013. I would not expect interest rates to get much better than the current program.
    Thanks isles1
    Do you think you could let me know the numbers if it was 10k miles/year?
    Residual changes to 56% @ 10K miles per year.
  • rx350lesseerx350lessee Member Posts: 10
    Folks,

I need your help...

I'm considering leasing an S4: Monsoon Gray metallic, 19" whees, Carbon Atlas inlays, B & O Sound, and Audi advanced key - $53,200.00. Dealer is happy to let it go for $ 50,700.00 and I'm confortable with that price.

Now, here's what I think doesn't add up: 36 Mo/10K with 0 down: $766.05/month... Sure, I'm still waiting to hear on what the actual residual (I'd guess something around 55-56%?)/MF are, but that does seem a bit too high, right?

Also, I live in FL and their fees are: battery fee $1.50, doc fee $578.40 (I know there's padding here as I can't believe xferring tags costs that much), electronic filing $15.00 (related to the previous item), license $450.00 (again, if I'm xferring tags, why do I have to pay for this?), Lemon Law $2.00, tire fee $5.00.

I currently have a 2012 GTI that is also leased. I have leased other Audi/VW cars over the years. I'm pretty sure that given my history with Audi FS/VW Credit I can ask them to waive security deposit, right?

I would really appreciate your input. Thanks!
    Just heard back from the dealer... According to them, MF/Residual are: "36 month MR 0.00108 Res. 56% of MSRP".

So, residual seems to match what isles1 had already stated in the above thread, but what about that MF? Seems high compared to what I've seen posted here... I mean, 0.00108 (2.59% APR) x 0.00068 (1.63% APR)...

And numbers don't add up anyways...

36 MO/10K lease:

53,200 * .56 = 29,792
    50,700 (negotiated price) - 29.792 = 20,908
    20,908 : 36 = 580.77
    (50,700 + 29.792) * .00108 = 86.93
    580.77 + 86.93 = 666.93 + TAX (7%) = $713.61

$713.61 is $52.44 less than the $766.05/month he quoted me earlier today... That's a $1,887.84 difference over 36 MOs!

So, is the current MF really 0.00108?!?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts you can share with me.
    Acquisition fee? Doc fee? Title and registration?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The dealer is padding the MF or you do not qualify for top tier credit.

MF for 36 month term leases is .00068 through April 2, 2013 for MY2013 S4s.

You also need to have fees broken out of the equation. $695 acquisition fee is standard, as are title fees (max. $75 in NY State) which vary by state. Dealer prep and document fees are generally used to pad a deal for dealer profit. Will you pay license and reg fee at signing or roll into payment? Same question goes for acquisition fee and title fee.

If there is not a lot of dealer competition in your area, you may want to hang back until orders for MY2014 start being accepted. You may see incentives for dealers to move 2013 stock off the lot. Otherwise, shop around.
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for that, isles1...

This is most certainly padding as they have not run my credit yet.

Right. I'll certainly refuse to pay that much for fees like "doc fee" ($578.40) and "license" ($450.00). Sure, I can pay something, but not $1,028.40.

See, the title fee in FL shouldn't be more than 80.00. Since, I'll be xferring tags, it's my understanding that registration shouldn't be that expensive. Especially because I renewed it in January and the tag is being xferred from an RX350 to the S4, which is lighter, i.e., less money to register...

To be honest with you, the only fee I'd like to pay at signing is acquisition (as you stated, there's no way around this one), but since we're always stuck with those other fees, I was planning on also pay for them at signing.

Unfortunately there are not that many Audi dealers around... Only 2 in a 50-mile radius...
    Florida is a tough place for doc fees...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Agreed... :(
  • ljones30ljones30 Member Posts: 1
    Help... I'm trying to piece together if this is a good deal. I have some information, I will find more when I go to the dealership tomorrow. Here is what I have.

2013 S4 Premium Plus

MSRP: 55,525
    Audi MMI Navigation Plus Package ($3,050)
    Audi Parking System Plus w/Rearview Camera
    HDD Navi w/Voice Control
    Additional Options
    Audi Advanced Key
    Audi Guard All-Weather Floor Mats
    Bang & Olufsen Sound System
    Supercharged Badges
    Wheel Lock Kit
    Wheels: 8.5J x 19" 5-Segment-Spoke-Design
    Without Front License Plate Holder

He quotes me $639.00 No money down, 646 with audi care.

Sales price: 50kish, didnt get the number.
    Tax: 6.5, Georgia does not a usage tax anymore. You pay 6.5% on the sale price, once.
    MF: .0088
    Miles: 10k

Am I missing something? The only way I'm getting 639, is if I the entire fees are rolled up in the sales price. Making the sales price 51,049? So tell me what do I need to know, to determine if I'm getting a good deal.
  • sangivsangiv Member Posts: 1
    How are the Sales Taxes factored in the Lease in Florida?

Are Sales Tax (6%) paid on top of Full negotiated price of the vehicle
    ie.:
    Price: $30,000
    Taxes: $30,000 + 6% = $1,800 (50 monthly / 36mo.)

or

Are the Sales Tax paid on top of Negotiated Price - Residual?
    ie.:
    Price: $30,000 - $18,000 (Residual 60%) = $12,000
    Taxes: $12,000 + 6% = $720 (20 montly / 36mo.)
    In Florida, sales tax is collected on the monthly payment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

You might be missing something... MF is most definitely not .0088 (.00088?)...

Anyway, I'd say you're getting a very good deal... Starting with the sales price. Apparently you managed to get a $5K discount and I never thought they'd ever discount an S4 that much (invoice on that car is around $53,200.00)... All I managed to get was $2,500.00 off... :(

Anyway, just to give you an idea about the "deal" I've got today on a '13 S4 - Estoril Blue Crystal, Premium Plus, S tronic, 19" wheels, B&O sound, advanced key, carbon atlas inlays, and badges (MSRP: $53,800.00):

Vehicle Sales Price: $51,300
    Title, Registration, Other Fees: 450
    $0 Down/Out-of-Pocket
    Lease Term: 36 months
    Residual Value: $30,128
    Miles/Year: 10,000
    Acquisition Fee: 695

Monthly Payment (Tax included): $723.00

Good luck.
  • reaction23reaction23 Member Posts: 9
    Need a bit of advice/opinion here on a 2013 S4 that I am looking to lease:

I currently have an 2010 A5 w/ 19,900 that had a 42 month lease, but could get out at 36 months if there was anything out that I liked...So here I am now possibly looking at a 42-month lease on a 2013 S4 Estoril Blue Crystal Effect
    w/ Fine Nappa Leather w/ Lunar Silver, 19" 5-segment-spoke wheels, Audi MMI Navi, sports diff, B&O sound system, advanced access key, carbon atlas inlays, SS badges & Alu-optic stone guards. (MSRP: $58,420)
    Miles/Yr 10,000
    42-month lease
    Capitalized Cost Reduction - $750(owner loyalty) + $1,000 (special rebate) = $1,750
    Down payment - $3,750
    Total out-of-pocket w/fees(first month, admin fee, doc fee, title&reg, acq fee, m/v fee) - $ $4,361

Monthly Payment - $660 w/ tax included

I would really love some insight. Thanks for the help!
This discussion has been closed.