Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon ABS Fault Issues

ubart55ubart55 Member Posts: 1
edited September 2015 in Chevrolet
My 2005 Colorado started to randomly display an ABS Fault error message. In addition, when applying the brakes even at slow speed on level dry pavement, the ABS system will randomly activate.

I have read some other posts about the locks, windows and battery also not working. My battery has been fine, my locks and key fob work. My passenger rear window won't go down though. You can hear it click when you use the main control on the driver's door but it doesn't move. Any thoughts on what the deal is with the ABS and why it activates randomly? Thanks.

See Also
Edmunds Answers: Low Speed ABS Activation Questions

Comments

• sicksigmasicksigma Member Posts: 2
    My '05 GMC Canyon displayed that ABS Fault message for the first time this evening while driving in 6 inches of snow, and the ABS ceased to function. Great timing. Don't know the cause yet. Knowing GM, probably never will.
  • mittens1mittens1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 colorado same problem. i have been dealing with it for about 2 yrs. had it checked out there is something wrong with the wheel speed sensor most likely in only 1 wheel. mine is the drivers front. something about the seal bad allowing dirt, water to set off this censor also could be a problem. hoping chevy will do a recall I have heard several complaints about this poblem. hope this helps u out
  • foseffosef Member Posts: 1
    Having the same issue with 2004 Colorado, took it to the dealer and they had front left wheel speed sensor replaced...picked it up, hour later the light was back on and problem still exists. Still dealing with them trying to get it fixed.
  • tomtom231tomtom231 Member Posts: 3
    I have this same issue with my 2005 Colorado, (74,000 mi). Local Chevy dealer wanted $400 to fix it. I think they said it was wheel speed sensor?
    It hasen't happened to me in a couple of months though, so i'm not too woried about it yet. Hopefully GM issues a recall, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Tomtom231,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me so I can look into your situation further? You can find my email address if you click on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • hallucinatinghallucinating Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 Colorado has been displaying ABS FAULT intermittently for over a year now. When it first happened I brought to the dealer and the LF Sensor was replaced. The FAULT was back in immediately. Returning it to the dealer, I was told that there was no memory of any faults, and the pulsing I was experiencing was due to warped rotors. They could not duplicate the ABS FAULT. Leaving frustrated, my goal was to drive it until the fault came in hard. A year later it is still intermittent. I recently had the rotors and pads replaced. I took it back to the dealer last week and talked to the general manager. He said he would arrange for a GM engineer to take a look at it and call me back by noon. I never got the call. On my Colorado, the ABS activates without applying brakes and then a few seconds later it chimes and the ABS light comes on and I read the ABS FAULT as it repeatedly scrolls. It usually happens after I have driven for about 5 miles, shut it down for 15 minutes and then re start it. ABS usually activates when pulling out of parking lot going at a speed of 5 to 10 MPH. I have had the ABS activate at 30 MPH once. I'm afraid that it will activate when I need an emergency stop and will result in going through the trunk of the vehicle in front of me. I have sent an email to GM customer service and have not received a response.
    Hello Hallucinating,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that no one has gotten back with you on your email that you sent. I would like to look at your situation a little further. Can you please email me with some more information? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • dpierc5dpierc5 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem on 2005 Colorado 4X4. Cost about $1000 to repair drivers side sensor a little over a year ago. Started acting up on same side about two months ago. Truck is nearly paid for; bought new at Hubler in Bedford, IN. 95 S-10 is still going strong at 220K. No wonder Consumer Reportrs rates this truck so low. I don't want to have to spend a fortune to correct a problem that doesn't seem to go away
  • frankv74frankv74 Member Posts: 2
    My Chevy Colorado has had the ABS light go on and off for a while. Sometimes during the day I would apply the brake and it would engage at low speed. Today was coming back to the office after making a deposit and the ABS fault light came on and then started pumping the right brake all by it self. Have no idea why it is doing this but no I have to have the car towed the repair shop. I am going to report it to Chevy and see if they have recall.
    Frank
    Hello Franky74,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Please email me more information so I can look into your situation further. You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • j_v1j_v1 Member Posts: 1
    I also have the same problem on a '05 Colorado Crew 4x4 w/77K. I have to stop and re-start the truck, then that seems to correct the brake pedal vibration and ABS fault error.
    Hello J_v1,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern on your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • mw328mw328 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same problem. No one knows how to fix it. The abs system activates on it's own and then I get the faults. Hope some one figures out how to fix it.
    edited June 2010
    Hello MW328,
    Are you having a GM dealership look at the concern? Because the dealership have our tech department they can contact if they are having a problem they cannot fix. Thank you,
  • hallucinatinghallucinating Member Posts: 2
    My problem has been resolved after a year of erratic ABS activation. The LF sensor was replaced at the dealership a year ago. The next day I was back in with the same problem and was told that there were no memory codes of the fault and that the activation I was feeling was actually from warped rotors. I drove the Colorado for a year and decided to get my rotors replaced. The same problem was still in so I took it back to the dealership. With the help of GM customer service the LF hub and sensor was replaced. It has been two months now and the problem has not resurfaced. Although the same symptoms were displayed from the beginning, I was told by the Service Consultant that the mechanic that had replaced my rotors had damaged the hub and sensor.
  • 2005colorado2005colorado Member Posts: 2
    I have had ABS issues for over a year. ABS issues on one side, both hubs have had to have been changed...I can go on and on. The poor quality of this vehicle is unbelievable. No wonder why this money pit of a vehicle is rated so poorly.
    Hello Hallucinating,
    I am glad that the problem hasn't resurfaced. If you ever have any questions please let me know. :)
  • lvfranklvfrank Member Posts: 7
    Did you find out what caused the error? I have the same thing for my 2005 Colorado Z71. I had to replace my rotors with 65,000 miles. The error occured. I have replaced both hubs and the mechanic has replaced the sensor twice. I have been told it is not doing anything bad to my truck but I don't like getting the error. I have looked out on websites and this is the first place I get the help. I figured it was the computer. Can you help further. I would like to give the mechanic something to start with, and would like to know if it is covered under a recall. It has cost me over $1,000 so far......

My error also goes away after I turn the engine off and restart....

HELP..... :confuse:
    The ABS ERROR seems to be an error that not only I have had. Did anyone ever find out what caused the error? I have the same thing for my 2005 Colorado Z71. I had to replace my rotors with 65,000 miles. The error occured. I have replaced both hubs and the mechanic has replaced the sensor twice. I have been told it is not doing anything bad to my truck but I don't like getting the error. I have looked out on websites and this is the first place I get the help. I figured it was the computer. Can you help further. I would like to give the mechanic something to start with, and would like to know if it is covered under a recall. It has cost me over $1,000 so far......

My error also goes away after I turn the engine off and restart....

HELP.....
    Hello Ivfrank,
    It is possible that you just need to reset the computer to get rid of the fault code. Try turning your vehicle on but don't start it, and press the gas pedal all the way to the floor three times quickly. See if that resets the computer. Has the vehicle been scanned for codes? Thank you,
    The Mechanic has reset the computer codes grom the diagnostic plug in. Again, if it acts up and I turn the car off and then restart, it seems to work fine. Any other Ideas? Thanks.
    The codes showed that the wheels were turning at different speeds. They have replaced both front hubs, the sensors twice, and the error still appears every once in awhile. That is what is so disturbing, that it does not happen all the time......HELP
    Hello Ivfrank,
    I would just take it back to your mechanic and tell him that the codes are still going off and the resetting of the computer didn't clear the codes. Have him just reset the computer and go from there. Thank you,
  • frankv74frankv74 Member Posts: 2
    Already Had the work done > the Hub was about to go and when hae changed it he had to replace the wheel sensor. Also the next ISSUE ! with this dam truck is that I took the truck to GM service to fix the Ac Controls and pay close to 400.00 to repair A/c Controls now the same thing is happening. I have come to the conclution i will never ever buy a GM truck Again.
    Hello Franky74,
    I apologize that you still have a concern on your vehicle. Did you talk to the dealership and let them know the concern is still present? Thank you,
  • abb1014abb1014 Member Posts: 1
    I'm recieving the same abs fault like and I can hear a noise coming from the abs hub and I took it to the dealership and the say they can not replicate the error and there are no codes in the computer my warrenty for this dealership runs out in 2 weeks and I need to find a way to replicate the error, it usually happens when I start the car every 3 or 4th interval and not shortly after you hear a humming coming from under the hood and then the brakes feel as if they can not grab anything then the fault like comes on please help someone
    Hello Abb1014,
    I apologize that you are having a concern with your vehicle. What does the code say on the DIC? The dealership may be able to put a code reader in your vehicle so when the problem arises it can read the code. Thank you,
  • bpetuchbpetuch Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with the left front wheel sensor. After driving 5 miles, the ABS motor will activate on that side, followed by the ABS light. I clears after shutting off and restaring. I used an ABS tool to pull the code, which confirms left front ABS sensor.

This truck seems to have a legacy of electrical ground problems. I'm wondering if the problem could be the ground pack mounted to the fender. I had a problem with the blower motor harness, where the connectors melted. Turns out it was the second harness, based on a repair report. Turns out this harness runs to the driver side ground pack.
    It seems that all you hear about is resetting the computer, but still the intermittant ABS fault will return with no ryme or reason, and then if you pull over, turn the vehicle off, and start it again, the error goes away. I am tired of this error. The mechanic tells me that it is not hurting the brakes or my safety, but I have had both hubs replaced at my cost, and have had the sensors replaced twice--again at my cost. Does anyone have a new Idea or is it just reset the computer. Tired of this--- It seems that this error effects more than me, maybe GM and Chevy should look at Customer Service and suggest a recall......
  • apg20apg20 Member Posts: 1
    my2005 chevy colorado has a abs fault displayed and every once in a while when I
    stop ,the brakes are locked up .If I turn off the key and restart they release. what to do???
    Hello apg20,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern on your vehicle. Have you had anyone diagnose your vehicle for the concern? Thank you,
  • ECR223ECR223 Member Posts: 10
    Well at about 46,000 miles I was having the drivers window/lock/FOB problem, and that's when I found these forums... Now, at 56,000 miles, 2 days ago I hit the brakes, ABS kicks in(for no reason), and then "ABS FAULT" comes up... Much like my previous problem, it's good to see I'm not the only one... I haven't taken it to the deal yet, and probably won't for 2 more weeks at least(until I have time)... Can't wait to see how much this is going to cost!!! It's a real shame too, I love my truck... But I'm not going to want to keep it if it starts developing ALL of the problems listed in these forums!! :mad:
  • omaitaomaita Member Posts: 16
    Hi, now that I read the other posts, I don't feel alone. Here is the history.
    I bought my 4X4 Chevy Colorado 2006 in Oct'06 here in Gaithersburg MD (Criswell).
    It was cold and just after few months Nov-Dec the truck began with the problems.
    In cold weather the car just didn't move, it needed more than 10 minutes to get warm and be able to move, dealer just said something like the rotors were crystallized and it was normal, to be honest I didn't have time to go back to the dealer for the problem that today still persist.
    Then, I started to get problems to start the car every other week, and for the same problem I went back to the dealer about three times. First they said "We were unable to repeat the problem so we just reset the computer", then they said there was a loose cable, and at the end they just replace the igniter or starter. It was more than 1 year and I don't have THAT PROBLEM again.
    But as soon as that problem went out, it comes another one: THE BRAKES. Every time I push the brakes, the car showed something like a pulsation, so I went to the dealer and they said ok the "brakes are bad, something weird, because your car it has less than 20k miles, so we are gonna replaced all four for you at no cost".
    After they did that the problem went out for like 6 months and it came back again. Again, i didn't have time (IT'S ALL MY FAULT) and I didn't take care of that, but then started to show ABS FAULT and the pulsation was harder when that happened.
    My car has only 33K, but I bought it on Oct 2006 so I thought the warranty was expired, but checking all the papers given to me by the dealer when I bought the car (BECAUSE I'M TRYING TO SELL THE SCRAP ASAP) I found that there was an EXTENDED PREMIUM WARRANTY by Performace Fisrt that cost me $ 1,100, so I went to the dealer two days ago, dropped the car they called me yesterday morning to said "we could not duplicate the ABS FAULT, so we just tight the connectors; and regarding the noise every time I make a turn, front brake rotors needs to be cut or realigned and that will cost you around $ 345, but we do not guarantee that the noise will be gone", so I said, leave the noise that you do not guarantee will be gone and just fix the ABS FAULT, also I told him, about this forum and let him know that people here is talking about a bad sensor and loose bearing, and just said YEAH YEAH YEAH WE ALREADY CHECK THOSE THINGS.
    Honestly now, I don't trust those Chevy Techs that one of the times when I dropped the car gave me a check list detailing what was already checked, like lights, and as soon as I saw the car there was a turn light not working and they just said I'M SORRY WE'LL TAKE CARE OF THAT.
    Today I got the same problem with the ABS FAULT message. I took some pics of the message and I dropped the car. Hopefully, I am not gonna need to pay another $ 100 as deductible for the same problem they can't fix.
    Bad experience with Chevy, that's the reason one year ago I bought a new Nissan for my wife and I still have peace of mind with that car.
    I don't know if that extended warranty is transferable (even in the dealer nobody knows, and nobody give a paper where it says yes or not), but if I don't sell the scrap in the next month I will contact a lawyer for this nightmare.
    Hello Omaita,
    I apologize that you have had concerns with your vehicle. Did the dealership ever find the concern? Thank you,
  • tomtom231tomtom231 Member Posts: 3
    I stated on here a few months ago that my abs fault code was intermittent, but now it is happening almost every day. Here's what happens. In the morning I start the truck and the code clears. I drive to work, all is fine. I get done with work, go to leave and the first time I apply the brakes, the ABS activates. The brake pedal pulsates. (I'm on clear dry pavement) and the ABS fault pop's up in the DIC. I drive back home, park the truck for the night and everything is fine in the morning again.
    Seems to me that this is a safety issue, and GM needs to issue a recall. Especially considering that the Colorado has a history of electrical gremlins.
    Does anybody know of a phone number, or E-mail address to complain to GM about this problem. Maybe, if we all start making some noise about this, GM will fix these problems with a recall.
    Hello Tomtom231,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern. Have you had anyone diagnose your vehicle since the code is on all the time now? Can you email me your VIN and current mileage? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    Mariah,
    This is also happening to my truck. I have written in this thread before. I have had it to the mechanic, and they have replaced the sensors and both hubs. There is no ryhm or reason why it comes on. I agree that eventhough I have been told by the mechanic that my brakes will work, just the feel concerns me. If you want it my VIN Number is 1GCDT136958245113 and I have 75,000 on the truck. Had both hubs changed at 65,000 because they thought that would solve it. It seems that it is an electrical problem to me, especially with everyone that has discussed this issue on the thread. Don't expect anything out of this because I am becoming really dissatisfied with Chevy.
    Hello Ivfrank,
    Do you still have your warning lamp coming but, there is nothing wrong with the ABS correct? The only thing I could do is set up a case with an agent for you. I would need you to email me your contact information, dealership and best time to contact you. You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • omaitaomaita Member Posts: 16
    Hi, thanks for reply, at least somebody from GM shows interest in my concern.
    I dropped the truck on Thursday, then Criswell call me on Friday to let me know that they were able to duplicate the message ABS FAULT and, like EVERYBODY is saying in this forum, the problem it was a BAD SENSOR and BAD BEARING (even tough they prefer to call it "HUB").
    The first call it was to tell me that my Performance First extended warranty should cover only labor and sensor, but the Bearing (350.00) should be covered by ME.
    Then they call me again, to let me know that the Dealer will cover everything.
    I was unable to pick up my truck until Tuesday because they found another Code in the testing drive, so they changed sensors and bearings in both wheels.
    Has been two days, and there is still no problems with the ABS FAULT.
    I still have the pulsation on the brake pedal that they said my PREMIUM Performance First doesn't cover.
    Anyway, thats something I live with until I sell it.
    Thanks again, last favor, how can I know what factory warranties my 2006 34K miles still have my truck and if the extended warranty is transferable???? Since I never received the Warranty Facts Book when I purchased the car.
  • joe22306joe22306 Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same issue.. 2005 Colorado Z75 I5 - used to be intermittent ABS light that used to resolve itself every time I restarted the car.. now the ABS actually DOES kick in and pulse when going slow (~5mph) and the light is almost always illuminated.. I am just under 100k miles, brakes and rotors changed last year. nothing since.

I dread going to the local dealers.. they gave me a hard time when I first bought the truck by telling me it was MD state inspected, only to find out it was metal on metal for my front brakes and needed new rear tires.. anything recommended by the posters here? can I pull ABS codes without going to a dealer to try to limit cost?
    Hello Joe22306,
    There maybe some places that do read codes in your area but, I cannot recommend anyone. Because you are still experiencing the concern I could have an agent look at your situation further. However, they do require that you take it into a dealership to have it diagnosed. If you want to do that please email me your VIN, current mileage, contact information, dealership and best time to contact you. You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • joe22306joe22306 Member Posts: 3
    Just a Followup.

I got a call back from the dealer telling me that they cleared the codes, and I needed brakes one.. ~$1100.. I explained that ABS kicks in randomly when the truck is 'cold' so they said they would call me back in a few hours after letting the truck cool off. The Chevy Dealer now says that the hub bearings are failing on both sides and recommend I replace the hubs / brakes / rotors / sensors.. over $2500 for the job. seems a bit excessive.

they also said it could be an issue with low voltage, but didnt go too much into detail. yes, this started around when my factory battery died on me a few weeks ago come to think of it. but I dont see the connection.
  • shieldwolfshieldwolf Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem as everyone else. I have a 2005 Colorado Z-85, 4x4. Two weeks ago my ABS system would kick in when stopping at slow or high rates of speed. It does this 3-5 times, then the light comes on my dash board and ABS disengages.

I took it to the dealership this morning. I got a call an hour ago saying the diagnostics read that both front left and right abs sensors have errors and need to be replaced. This also requires both hub assemblies to be replaced. I asked the service technicician if it makes sense that a vehicle with 72,000 miles on it would have both front ABS sensors go bad within two weeks of one another. He said it does not make sense but it is what the computer says.

I am not paying $1,175 to have something fixed that does not make sense. I think it is pretty obvious Chevrolet has a problem here.
  • hgb3hgb3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Canyon 4x4 with less than 25,000 miles. Never off-road, never abused with the same abs problem, comes and goes. This is without a doubt a GMC issue. GMC needs to step up and make this right.
  • realalerealale Member Posts: 1
    bpetuch
    My 2006 Colorado started the same way last year. There was about 30000 miles on the truck and I had owned it nearly three years. i finally got around to having it repaired last week.The diagnosis was faulty left wheel sensor. Labor and parts would be about $227 but as they got into it they found the back side of the bearing had rusted and forced the exciter ring to ride along the sensor and damage the sensor.
    That added another $350 to the bill. The mechanic said the other side was rusting and would most likely do the same. I was told this was a design Chevy has changed.
    Hope your extended warranty is better than mine. This should be a recall repair.
    Hello Joe22306,
    Thank you for the update. I am glad that the dealership figured out the cause of your concerns. I know $2500 can be a lot of money, and I looked through the case notes and it looks like you are going elsewhere for the repairs. If you have any further questions please let me know. Thank you,
  • rpwillisrpwillis Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    My 2005 Colorado is having a problem with the ABS Fault light coming on and the pedal gets hard and brakes barely function. This appears to be a well known problem to GM. I guess they will take care of it when I go through the a** end of another car.
  • jmabie2jmabie2 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same issue, but I'm stationed in England and Chevy dealerships won't touch and don't know what a truck is! I am not popping any codes, but England roads are wet and get very slick and I am scared of the brakes giving out and I can't stop!! GM might do a recall when I send them the bill lol
  • bethanyabethanya Member Posts: 8
    I am very concerned since my truck started having ABS faults about two weeks ago. I haven't been able to find anyone that can help with this issue. We have taken the truck to three different shops with no fix yet. The brakes have been replaced, the sensors have been replaced and still there is no correction for this problem. After reading multiple posts about this same type of error, I have posted a formal complaint on http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm . All of you that have this same problem, please go out and do the same thing as well. Maybe we can get GM to wake up if we all post to the NHTSA and get them checking into it. Maybe if they get 50+ complaints in a couple of days, they will truly help us out.
    Thanks
  • bethanyabethanya Member Posts: 8
    Have you had any luck with getting the error to go away? I am getting so frustrated with my truck! Please reply if you have or haven't had any luck and what you did if you were able to get it fixed. I have reported this problem to the http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Thanks