Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2013
    I think it's okay to change your own oil but save all your receipts (with the brand and weight, etc. noted) and it wouldn't hurt to take photos of the oil jugs and filters. (tie-in sales )
  • zzrcharliezzrcharlie Member Posts: 4
    FYI, sma1, no it doesn't void your warranty to change your own oil.
  • nox123nox123 Member Posts: 76
    WHY would anyone making a $25,000 investment for a new vehical NOT USE GM Dealer for a 5000 mile service to change oil, filters and service vehical ??? We Ara talking about a $39.00 insurance policy for maintaining you new vehical!
    Excellent let everyone know how you make out! In addition, how many miles are on your 4cyl Nox and how often do you have oil & filter changed at GM dealer? This would help seperate you from owners that might not maintain or service their 4cyl Nox at GM Dealer.
  • sma1sma1 Member Posts: 20
    @zzrCharlie... did you see the response from the gm host. .. saying to save your receipts and to take pictures of the jugs, etc? Pictures...really! This is exactly why I said you shouldn't change your own oil. ..gm will look for every loophole to get out of replacing a motor. Even a receipt is not good enough proof when all is said and done. . My motor was consuming oil. ..I guarantee you they would have tried to blame me if I hadn't had all maintenance done by the dealer. In my opinion. .. better safe than sorry!
    edited March 2013
    Some of us prefer to change our own oil and try to only use the dealer for warranty work. YMMV. (And I'm not with GM btw. :shades: ).
    Changing own engine oil & Filters makes no sense in 2013. Unless you have a fleet of vehicals; good documentation for all service done in you own shop and properly dispose of waste oil and filters which is classified "Hazardous Waste" by the EPA. Bottom line; if you really want hold a car dealers feet to fire for "drive line warrenty" protection" let dealer service vehical as recomended in your warranty.
    edited March 2013
    The closest dealer to me is 45 miles away and it's not my brand (although it is a GM dealer). Funny, but the closest hazmat place is only 35 miles away (and it takes waste oil free). I'm two hours from a dealer that would do warranty work on my rides.

Or I can use one of the two local garages if I decide to quit doing it myself.

If a manufacturer gives me flack about warranty work, I know How to Effectively Complain about your Car Problem. That includes complaining via social media and writing the FTC if my always cogent arguments don't initially make them see the light. :shades:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    We hope your visit goes well today, zzrcharlie, and will keep an eye on the thread for updates. If you should need anything in the meantime, we can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Got Equinox back today with all recall/warranty stuff completed. As far as this changing my own oil thing that some of you keep busting my b***s over, I have been changing the oil in my own cars for almost 40 years and have never been concerned about a warranty issue as far as this is concerned. As far as getting a dealer to perform all of my service work, no thanks. I have not had the 2011 'Nox long enough to perform any service work. All of the recall/warranty repairs I had done were partly because of the previous owners neglect and because the car is still in warranty. Do dealers know the car better than I do? Sure they do, but I can do some of the service work to the car without depending on them for everything. Warranty work is all theirs, oil changes and other minor things,some of us can do on our own.
  • lsmithhartlsmithhart Member Posts: 21
    Yes you can, most of us can. My remark was that "I have the dealer do them", and it's because I have them do all maintenance while under warranty. I do all my work, even major repair after warranty is expired. I am all for doing it yourself, I just know how hard they try to avoid paying for warranty repair. Good luck to you on your Equinox. We love ours, except for the fact that the drivetrain, to this point, is unreliable. Just turned 30,000 mile and has had engine and transmission repairs, because of breakdown. It is a great design in so many ways, I hope they can fix it.
  • jingles99jingles99 Member Posts: 14
    Hi, on going report on the problems with my 2011 4 cylinder. Yesterday the check engine light came on while my wife was driving it. The vehicle began to run very rough. She feared it was going to stall out. This was while driving on I 95 near PHL. She was able to get it home. I set up an appointment with my dealer. Still under warranty. Last night the light went out. Today the dealer reported that the gas pump was leaking gas directly into the oil. They installed a new fuel pump. I don't know how long this has been leaking gas into the oil, but it cant be good. Dealer said they had to charge me for the oil change, as GM would not cover it, as it was maintenance. I had changed the oil 2300 miles ago, and wasn't due for one yet. Beyond me how they would have kept the same oil in the engine, even though it was diluted with gasoline, through no fault of my own. They also did the software recall update. On a side note, dealer had replaced the timing chain/belt and water pump in July, as I was having the loud rumbling noise on start up, which it still does. Also had it back to dealer in August, as the noise continued. Of course they could not duplicate it, nor where any codes stored. Otherwise, its a great car....not.
  • bob2560bob2560 Member Posts: 8
    loud rumbling noise on start up is correct by TSB (technical service bulletin) 1195B from Chevy. The cam shaft phasers, the control values to the camshaft phases need to be replace and the screens need to be cleaned, software needs to be updated. Keep excellent records, have the dealer change the oil as needed, and check the oil level at gas up. Read the TSB just sent to all 2011 owners regarding the software up date of the oil wear gauge and follow the suggestions. Have the dealer check the spark plugs and the engine sensors for fouling from the gasoline contamination of the oil. Have him do a cylinder compression test to gauge the cylinder wear from the gasoline contamination.
    When checking the engine oil level, smell the oil for gasoline. If the dealer is not sure, have him call GM technical support for the dealers. You can get a copy of TSB 1195B from the NHTSA.
  • jingles99jingles99 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.
  • johninmnjohninmn Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2013
    I bought my 2011 Eq. LTZ 4cyl.Nov. 2010. It is back in for the "Timing Chain Actuators". It shut down after I auto started it. Got in started it and the check engine light was on. Checked the oil and it was low. 44% left on life. Took it to the dealer to get the engine light checked. No codes. He reset it and the car started to stall in reverse and run crappy, noisy. Set up an appt. for the recall on oil life and an oil change. That's when they told me about the actuators.
    The car has been in for: Sun roof loose,(removed interior and glued bracket) bottom of doors rusty on the inside,(repainted all four of the doors), High Pressure fuel pump,( there was gas in the oil, noise right side of motor, (replace water pump gears and followers). I now have the form from GM to do an oil consumption check. My 2011 seems to have had all the problems that I have read about on this forum. MY BIGGEST QUESTION IS, ARE THE PARTS THEY CHANGE THE ORGINAL OR ARE THEY AN UPDATED VERSION. Are my problems going to keep reoccurring?? If they keep reoccurring I will get an extended warranty on the drive train. My dealer is always understanding and concerned . Always get a loner and they keep me informed. Can you swap a v6 into a four??? :) John
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    When the vehicle approaches the end of the powertrain warranty, you probably want to trade it in. Too many issues. As for swapping the 6 for the 4 cylinder, that's not practical. Different engine mounts and bolt patterns and different gearing with the transmissions. Good luck.
    All I can say is GOOD LUCK! I recently had an accident because of the issue that was supposed to have been fixed. I started my "Nox" and put it in reverse, and the engine raced so hard I could not hold it with the brakes. I struck a carport and damaged the liftgate! If someone had been behind me, well I don't like to think about it. I was told that they "could not duplicate the problem" upon inspection. Well I guess not, that would be a problem for GM if they could huh? It IS a problem, all over the country, and we need to get together and make it their problem! I am speaking to my attorney next week. He has suggested a Social Media awareness to bring us all together. Let's do this!
    Didn't answer my question. Are the new parts a permanent fix. Does anyone know!
  • denise444denise444 Member Posts: 2
    Chevy took mine back. I had a great dealer. The 4 cyl. Has engine flaws that Chevy is aware of. My advice to all get rid of it especially if its stalling. It's not worth getting injured or killed!
    I'm in... my email address is shawnalbrecht@att.net. . .. A class action suit would be a good thing too. This blows my mind that Chevy can continue to get away with this. If you read back in these message boards you will see the issues I had. What a joke.
    I traded for a v6. I'm sorry but I paid for factory installed and I'm not going to have my motor ripped apart. I had my 2011 equinox for 18 months and the problems kept piling up. I put an end to it when I found out my motor was consuming oil Enough was enough. I lost alot of money and gm insulted me by only putting $3000 toward my new vehicle and I gained an 18 months of a car payment. .. so basically gm came out a head. .
    They changed the timing gears, chain, and actuators. I had them do a compression check. Checked ok, they said. Runs great again. So! I now think I have replaced all the problem parts that I have read about on this forum. Now! Are the new parts an updated version??? There are so many NOX on the road they can't all have these problems. I got a form from the dealer for oil consumption. Doc. ID: 2714857, #01-06-011G: Information on oil consumption guidelines-(Sep 28, 2011. Instructions and a form to fill out.
  • homeinspector1homeinspector1 Member Posts: 2
    What was the problem with the vehicle??
  • homeinspector1homeinspector1 Member Posts: 2
    Because they will put you on the mechanics "sucker list". Once you start taking it to the dealer, you will have problems forever thereafter. Trust me.
    What has been the flow up?
    Anyone that buys into; not getting a new vehical serviced at GM dealer is just looking at have issues with warranty work down road..My 2010 nox purchased in Oct 09 has only been serviced at GM Dealer and never missed a scheduled 4000mi oil change filters Etc. over last 55.000 mi. Any warranty issues i experienced have been resolved at no cost to me; rental car always provided I can not say one negative thing abput this truck; its been great and saves me money on gas. Being said; I look forward to trading up for a 2014 Nox this winter; Im sure this 2nd generation Nox and 4th production Yr Nox Truck will be awsome!
    Great to hear that you've had a gratifying experience with your Equinox and the dealership! If you ever have any future questions regarding your vehicle or the 2014 Nox just let us know!

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    So tell us all, why are you on this site in the first place? This is not the "I'm perfectly happy" blog site. This is a place to come and compare notes WHEN YOU HAVE PROBLEMS. You should write about your GOOD nox on the GM site. We are the ones who were stuck witht the LEMONS.

So if your here to try to make us look like morons, it will not work. We have bad vehicles, we have lemons or we have minor problems... but we have problems. You seem to have none. So go somewhere to brag about that, but let us talk to each other about these problems. You can, of course, be a bit considerate. That never hurts. Telling us that your vehicle is fine and great... well that just sound like you don't believe that we have these problems at all. or, that we should be lucky, like you. Either way, I don't see the point.
    Hello Amber...Please forward any information available for 2014 Nox I will be trading up later this year... All The Best
    I'm certinally not coming to this site for fluff and drama; I'm come here for the mechanical facts and constructive feedback most owners convey. I totally discount nonsense, drama and cheap shots people take at this #1 rated SUV. Being said; need to grow a thicker skin this is a national site for voicing oppinons! I have had a fair to good experience with my 2010 Nox and any issues I had including minor engine; have all been resolved by GM professionaly. I appoigize for being up-beat and positive about my 2010 55k 4cyl Nox and giving my Florida Dealers a High Five for Great Sevice!
    Hello Again,

So there is not much information available for the 2014 Equinox just yet. What I can tell you is the 2014 starts production in August. Let me know if you need help finding the perfect vehicle for you!

Take Care

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • katph062000katph062000 Member Posts: 19
    Indeed they are on the list..LOL...My Attorney finally got Chevy to buy my new equinox back under the lemon law..now some lemon is driving it. Who else would drive it with those issues it had? SO gald to be rid of it..Good lord. I did have to pay a user fee for miles on it which was not much then it was paid off and all my attorneys fees were paid. I now have a beautiful Dodge Journey..NO ISSUES at all and going on 2 yrs onld. I do miss the look of my equinox..I loved it...I loved my car when it ran well but it was risking my life and my families...with it stopping on and off. I hope they gety the issues fixed one day so I can maybe own another years down the road. They are beautiful cars and drive well when they drive at all.
  • katph062000katph062000 Member Posts: 19
    Lemon Law Attorney? They will take the case...its well known. They bought mine back under the Lemon Law. Good luck...The law is on your side.
    That may be the way to go. I am having hesitation problems again, and it was just "checked out" by a factory GM representative. He said everything seemed to be fine and that he could not "reproduce" the problem. Well I do, at least twice a week! I will say that it has not broken down since they worked on the transmission. I did have a small accident when it revved while in reverse and I was to close to prevent hitting a carport. I still don't know what causes the start-up revving, I just have to be cautious when I start the Nox. It sucks! I will ask my attorney who he recommends for the lemon law case.
    Nox was back at dealer 4/26/13 to get the start up noise looked at, again. This time it quit running once and then the check engine light came on. Camshaft actuator solenoids replaced and ecu reprogrammed. I hope this does the trick. I was informed that these parts are the upgraded/updated versions that are going on these I-4 motors on the 2012/13 models. I still like this car too, it fits me and does what I need it to do. I am still getting in the 26mpg range combined millage out of it too, which I'll take any day. As far as should I have bought a CRV or
    a Rav 4?, no thanks. Mostly all I see in them is old people and for good reason, I think. They are ugly and do not have the interior like the Nox does. And they don't ride/drive like it either. Just an opinion. The Nox does sometimes look a bit generic but ugly, it's not. Inside or outside. Like was stated, just an opinion.
    My wife loves the Nox, she just can't drive it right now. She does not think it is safe. I agree with the way it rides (except the stutter shift occasionally) and the looks... nice. I was unfortunate enough to buy one of the "lemon" versions, and I have had trouble with sudden high revving upon starting the vehicle. It is very rare (4 time now in 1.5 years), but I did hit a carport with one of them. Another time it broke down immediately after, in a shady part of Richmond Va. I was not happy with any of them, but those two... well, I was fuming. I hope I am done with the problems, but not likely. I think I will be looking into Mazda or Toyota next year. It is a shame, I was trying to buy American again! Good luck with yours.
    Hello lsmithhart

I responded to your issue on another thread. I would like to get more information and possibly help you by looking into this issue. Please email me at socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Jackie. I will do what I can to help you with this issue.

Jackie
    Chevrolet Customer Care
    Hello lsmithhart

Have you spoken with a GM Customer Care agent? I would like to try to help you get these issues resolved. If you would like my help please send me an email with ATTN: Jackie to socialmedia@gm.com. Please include your full name, current mileage and VIN.

Jackie
    GM Customer Care
  • ccoreyccorey Member Posts: 2
    Add another one to the list of burning oil problems. I took it in 2 months ago with a slugging response issue, engine light came on. The service invoice came back with very low oil, then apparently there was a recall (12312) done to the Equinox at that time. They adjusted the the computer settings for the oil life gauge.

Guess what, two months later (today) it is back in another service center. I did check the oil before it was towed and there was not a drop on the dip stick. I noticed it was sluggish a few days before when turning but did not correlate it as I thought the problem was resolved. Also, noticiced that acceleration is not there this is a big issue when trying to merge on to highway traffic. Nearly got rear-ended when the Equinox did not respond. I don't want to end up in the hospital! I have a daughter to raise by myself. RIP ALMC (Pancreatic Cancer)

It is now twice that the engine oil was depleted or nearly depleted, this must be good really good for the engine. I am sure I woun't have future engine troubles.

Currently, waiting to here want the current issue is...Use to love the Equinox, currently heartbroken.
  • christinagomezchristinagomez Member Posts: 1
    This vehicle has been nothing but a disappointment. It has been in the shop more times than I care to count. The Dealership I was taking it to stated after it had been in there every month for about 5 months that there is nothing wrong with it and the car is shifting as designed, that is a bunch of bologna. I know what is normal operation and what is not. I spoke to GM customer care, and they said, well nothing wrong with it. I contacted a lemon law attorney, they asked that we take it to another dealership for a "second opinion". We did and this dealer present an advisory #PI0090E which references what our vehicle does, and a suggested fix. This fix was not applicable to our car, but I thought it funny the first Dealer did not even mention this. We have been dealing with this for over 1 year and I am tired of it... I had been GM tried and true, but after this I don't know...
    Attorney is sending letter to GM...
  • tigbittigbit Member Posts: 1
    So about a month ago the battery on my 2011 Equinox died. My husband brought the car to autozone and was told that a new battery was needed (even though I knew that the battery was on warranty, we just didn't have time to wait for the dealership - so we chose autozone).
    So we had the battery replaced and a few days later my car wont start. Nothing...the car wouldn't even release my key.

So we called a towing service assuming that we'd need to have it towed and when they showed up, they popped the hood (to see if they could jump the car off to get it in a better position to tow) and when he did that he said that the battery wasn't "connected". So he got some pliers, tightened it up and the car started...immediately.

So the car starts fine for about 3 weeks. Earlier this week I start noticing that the car takes a little longer to start. I would crank it all the way and it just seemed to hesitate a little. One time it didn't start at all and I popped the hood to see if the battery connection that the towing service had tightened had come loose again and just by my popping the hood, the car was able to start.

So yesterday my car won't start again. I pop the hood and that doesn't work. The key is in the ignition and all the lights, radio, everything comes on, but the display is telling me random things like to eject my CD and that I am out of gas (I had just filled up earlier this week).

So we have it towed to the dealership and after leaving several messages throughout the day I finally get in touch with someone who tells me that the battery has been installed wrong and that it fried some part of my electrical system.

And the kicker is that they said that since the battery wasn't installed by Chevrolet that whatever they have to fix is not under warranty.

So my question: is it normal for a car battery to be installed "incorrectly" but to work for a short period of time and THEN finally cause electrical issues?

It just sounds like Chevrolet is trying to get out of their warranty by blaming it on the battery being installed incorrectly.

Mind you, I don't know much about vehicles, but it just seems odd that the car would work fine for a period of time and then all of a sudden totally fry the electrical system.

Any feedback would be great :)
  • sks124sks124 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I have a 2010 Equinox and it has been great until I hit about 60,xxx miles. I have high oil consumption, engine knocking and all sorts of other problems. It seems like this is an issue with all 2010 equinoxes. Besides these problems, I love my car. I am going to trade my 2010 in for a different car rather than trying to fix/deal with these issues. Does anyone know about the newer Equinoxes (2013-2014)? Do they have all the problems that the 2010's have or has GM made a change? I really like the design of the Equinox and the great gas mileage, etc but don't want a car that is going to go to sh*t once it hits 60k miles. Thank you all!
    You vehicles power train (engine and tranny) are warrantied by GM for 6 yrs or 100,000 miles. Why not have GM fix these problems with your vehicle and increase it value to you?
    I had the exact same issues well before 60000 miles on my 2011 equinox which was a 4 cylinder. From what I have read here on Edmunds is that it was the 4 cylinders that had all these problems. I traded for the 2012 equinox... it is a 6 cylinder engine. I'm not at all happy with GM for the way they treated me or my situation. But I was not going to have my engine ripped out and hope the new engine was installed correctly therefore I chose to trade. I'm only 10000 miles into my 2012 equinox but so far so good. Good luck.
  • jujudjujud Member Posts: 9
    My battery needed jumping 3 times during a 10 day period. Firestone checked battery-fine. Dealership said dead cell & replacing it. I pay $100 & they pay $150. Question- bought new 2 yrs. 1 mo. ago, 36,000 miles- is battery still under warranty? I have had all problems like everyone else-stalling, low gas mileage, rough engine-hesitation & noises, recalls. My warning lights have never come on though. Someone please answer question-I go to pick it up this afternoon....all my info on car is in car glove compartment which they have. Oh, it is a 2011 4 cyl nox.
    The battery may be bad but it is the vehicle that is your problem. . If the stalling continues. .Make them do an oil consumption test. They replaced so many parts on my truck and it still did not fix the stalling. It turned out the motor was consuming oil. If you are able to, read my original post as it details all the problems I had. The problems you are experiencing are not acceptable. If the stalling continues...your vehicle is not safe to drive as it could stall at any time. Keep pushing them. ..call gm if you have to as the problem is not fixed. You did not pay $25000+ for the dealership to say ...so sorry. ..we can't find anything wrong with your vehicle so there is nothing wrong with it because they say so. They did that to me at least 6 times before the the mechanic at the dealership noticed my motor was consuming oil during an oil change. Good luck!
  • frosty13frosty13 Member Posts: 1
    this should of been replaced free of charge it has 3 year 36000 mile no deduc warrenty they try to get out of stuff if they can i would take to differnt dealer or call gm cust survice
    Was the battery coverage that long for the 2011's? The "current" Chevy warranty on the Chevy website says that the "consumable" battery (i.e., not the propulsion ones in the hybrid) is covered up to 12 months only. That link is a pdf file btw.
  • jujudjujud Member Posts: 9
    Dealership did replace battery free. They were going to charge me $100 & cover $160. I could not believe battery cost that much. Said warranty was. 4 years or 31,000 miles. My was 2 yrs &31,500 m. I talked to upper management & told them I was going to get rid of it & go to FORD! Because of all trouble I had with it in 2 yrs. I still have '68 Camaro- my 1st car- with all that said- he quickly smiled & said they would cover full cost of battery. Drove 2 hr. trip to beach next day & ! ALERT BATTERY SAVER message came on. Called dealership & SM had never heard of message-called me back & they had "researched" found it & said it meant that car computer would begin shutting down unnessary things like air, interior lights etc. not ess. To run car! Parked car for a week (vacation) & rode with friends- drove car back no warnings & dealership kept it 3 days - could find NO problems except "it must be possessed" - their words! No it's a lemon- I said.
  • elkakawalaelkakawala Member Posts: 1
    I have similar problem. I have purchased 2011 V6 LT "Nox" last year, It start be noisy at the front wheels cracking 3 moths ago and... No body can find what it is? even GM dealers mechanic... & 8 days ago finally after winter (is July now) on dash board all wheels drive start to changed "automatically" into front it self and after all loosing power on the drive after leaving parking each time when the vehicle is prepared to drive... Now car is in GM dealer ship to test. They didn't find out the problem yet :(..... They saying after first test drive that the car is driving fantastic!!!! Which is very big surprise to me as when I been changing the gear from reversal to drive is loosing the power and make noise .. I don't know what to do next??? I will appreciate for any hint ,Please,